Final Fantasy XII Zodiac Age

There don't seem to be a whole lot of people talking about this, but it is worthy of discussion. This was not a slapped together remake. Who else has bought it and what are your thoughts on all the changes they made?

The "speed up" feature is a godsend for sure. Its the absolute best feature. Coupled with the quicker load times, this playthrough has been way faster paced than when I played 10 years ago. Literally hours of travel time will now be cut out of the game and it makes grinding a breeze as well.

The zodiac license system is alright I guess. I see what they were going for, trying to balance the game and give you more distinct characters, but it kills alot of the flexibility that made FFXII's so charming. They could have at least given you the option to use the original License board, like FFX did, instead of forcing this on you.

One change that I absolutely hate is that they nerfed many of the accessories, by making their acquisition way harder. For example, all Golden Amulets have been removed from vendors and there seems to be a limited amount in the game (only 4, from what I have heard). I was going to all the correct vendors and I was driving myself insane, thinking I did something wrong, until I looked it up online. That was a total dick move on square's part. Its not like maxing out your License board even makes your characters OP.

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.is/dgW53
neoseeker.com/forums/4605/t827453-timed-guide-to-getting-tournesol/
finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Bazaar_(Final_Fantasy_XII)
finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Final_Fantasy_XII_weapons
finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Final_Fantasy_XII_armor
finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Final_Fantasy_XII_accessories
finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Bestiary_(Final_Fantasy_XII)
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Final fantasy is a trash series.

Does Vaan still exist? If yes, this turd can go fuck itself.

B U N N Y
C U N N Y

Vaan is shit, but he is inoffensive. He spends 90% of the game standing in the background with nothing to do and having no part in the plot.

So what is it? an HD port of the Zodiac version of FF12?

I've heard the new version adds a second job license to each class on top of the original re-release's changes (though I may have misunderstood that or it was in the original).

You could have prevented this.

I never came around playing FF12 because there was the Zodiac version which apparently wasn't fully translated by fans.

Here. This is missing some things like Trial mode (a gauntlet of 100 battles).

It's like 99% done though. And plays perfectly fine on pcsx2 if you don't have a ps2

Thanks, I seriously need to buy a capture device to use my PS2 on the PC, any recommendations considering I just want to play at 60FPS and I don't have any other fancy console that requires HDMI or the like? an easycap USB is horrible and only works at 30FPS.

What does "introduction of current generation visual expression" mean?

Apparently the producer has mentioned that people had difficulty with the enemy placements in the original FF12.

No idea, sounds like marketing speak to me.

I recall something about RNG in certain side-quests.

Final Fantasy XII was and forever will be mediocre trash.

I haven't played the international version but i played the absolute fuck out of the original and needless to say i am excited for this one. holy fuck the amount of grinding in that game. >tfw i spent 50 hours grinding for tournesol

KYS NIGGER REEEEEEEEEEEEEE

gay, i bet they moved the elementals to some forgotten corner, and toned down some mobs as well, the game wasn't even hard at all, i remember i did the lvl 0 challenge and had plenty of fun, didn't finish it though

Taking bets on how much they pussified Ghis elder wyrm. That's probably what most people had trouble with.

Well hows the HD rabbit ass?

What marketing reasons and why didn't the real MCs work for that?

I can't deny not getting the zodiac spear by opening a chest is some gay shit but it's getting fixed in the new this one. The rest of your points are simple casual filters. I bet you're the kind of person who thinks FF8 was bad just cuz of the draw system.

in this one* derp

Because fujoshits whined old men are gross, they want their fuckbois to masturabate over.

Vaan wasn't originally the main character, it was supposed to be Basch. The team got scared of having another older male protagonist because their last game, Vagrant Story, didn't do well. They got it in their heads that having the MC be a effeminate boy would be a bigger hit instead.

FF8 was a dumpster fire in every regard. The only fun thing about it was the card game.

Bad stories and endless walking through yet more plains and deserts with nothing in them are casual filters? Ubisoft must be the most hardcore dev ever

Damn, he doesn't even look that old.

This shit is why I'm not even considering getting Zodiac Age. I'll just emulate IZJS when I get a better computer.

I never got into the card game, however I disagree, FF8 was fucking perfect in every single aspect. I challenge you to find a single thing wrong with that game.

The plot being an incoherent mess?
Oh everyone just had memory loss about growing up together, except the coward cowboy who… just didn't say anything.

You say that as if it's a bad thing…

t. some faggot who didn't actually play the game

Nah

Not saying you are wrong in your other points but that's a pretty weak point.

Are you stupid nigger? The entire orphanage scene can be reduced to "lol, oh yeah! Now I remember, stupid GFs boring a hole in my memories. :^)" followed by Irvine going "Oh yeah, but I didn't want to say anything, lol."

I have only ever played another FF game aside from XII so I wouldn't know whay most of those are, sorry.

Part of the charm of FF back in the day was waiting to see what new gameplay features it would have.

60+ fps? Dual audio?

Apparently yes.

this guy gets it.

How so? If anything I think the license board was more reminiscent of classless character systems like in Fallout or Arcanum than what most jRPGs usually feature.

I mean, you want to make a character a healer, you focus on white magic and mystic armor. You want a rogue, focus on techniques, quick weapons and light armor.

I didn't say that drawing magic was the only way to get it but it still happened and if you didn't draw shit then you would miss out on some GFs.

Well that's half the reason to pirate it. I need another half too.

I agree that was some gay shit playing through the game for the first time and I hate using walkthroughs for shit like that.

Basically you had to equip DRAW on someone and try it on every enemy untill you stumbled upon a summon, yep, sucks.

I haven't played FF8 since like 2002 though I went through it a bunch of times since it was my first RPG. Also I heard the translation of 8 was really fucked up like apparently Squall is not supposed to be douchey emo sack.

Yeah that was kinda a bummer but atleast the enemys that had GFs to draw were all bosses/mini bosses (as far as i'm aware)

You don't even need more than ONE character in your party to have Draw, it's situationally useful against bosses for occasionally ahead-of-the-curve magic, and GFs. It also lets you access draw points on the map, which gave the command use out of battle, as well.

FF8 was a major step up from FF7, which had lots of missable content (in particular the X-Item materia during the Midgar raid later). You missed a GF? Well hold the fucking phone, you can draw every single missable one from bosses in Ultimecia's castle.

(Checked)
I agree FF8 was a huge step up from 7, the graphics and gameplay are alot smoother. However i haven't completed 7 and probably won't as it doesn't interest me after having played and completed 8 before playing 7

Honestly, it's kinda weird.

Cloud gets more emo-douchey with every installation he's a part of.
Squall gets less emo-douchey with every installation, and is simply reserved and a slightly bitter. If he ever sounded anything like Dissidia portrayed him, FF8 might have been looked upon a lot better.

the only good Final Fantasy main character

You shouldn't use a capture device to hook game systems in to your monitor, it will always have lag. If you really want something to hook in your PS2 to a modern display use a Framemeister. Expensive, but better than any capture card you could get and any capture card that isn't trash will cost you about as much.

Just admit you're a graphics whore.

nigger FF7 is just a pile of blocky horse shit

So you admit you're a graphics whore? That's healthy at least.

I just want to be able to multitask so I would play hooking onto my PC, besides I don't have a TV or anything like that or the room to put it without making playing and browsing or working a hassle.

Pic related, apparently saying sorry is too japanese for us filthy gaijins.

Please tell me that some autists somewhere have made a patch that fixes this

I hope someone has fixed this, would be very enjoyable to play through again with proper dialogue.

I thought you loved your emo hero.

The only bad thing in FF8 was the level scaling.

I hope there is a patch too.
Posting more examples.

see

Yeah I felt like it was a bit all over the place and it was kinda annoying how party members would often leave or split up creating gaps between the levels, however i feel as if the junction system made up for this a bit.

holy shit lmfao this makes squall look like the biggest dick on the planet compared to the Japanese translation. I always felt Squall was lacking compassion in places where he needed it most.

They really fucked up Ultimecia's motivation and speech patterns too.

What was her motivation?

its been awhile since i played FF8, i honestly can't remember the dialogue between her and the other characters past the 2nd disk.

I got stuck on a later game boss fight in XII. A year or two later I gave it another try and beat it, but didn't feel like continuing from where I left off because I didn't remember much about what was going on anymore. The changes to the job system sound interesting, but I'm not sure if it's worth replaying everything I already did.

Also, what was that one optional boss dragon thing in the forest who's attacks did every status ailment in the game at once? If anyone is wondering how to beat him, I did it by having that one storyline related item equipped on one of the party members that prevents all status ailments but also stops that character from casting magic. Basically that person just became the dedicated healer while everyone else attacked as much as they could.

Because of persecution of the Sorceress' War, Ultimecia wanted to achieve "Time Kompression" which would give her omnipotence, because of a prophecy that SeeD would kill her. Unfortunately, doing this also catapulted Squall and co. to the future where she lived so they could kill her. So basically if she did nothing, she would have been just fine.

Square cucked out and said Rinoa becoming Ultimecia is just a fan theory, even though it makes a lot of sense

Wow, so your taste is objectively shit.

And you don't even remember the game you were raving is so much better than everything else because you played it and didn't play the other games because they were "too ugly". The cycle is complete. Pic related.

I can tell you from first hand experience that the original model of the Elgato Game Capture HD (which has the ability to record analog video input) is terrible for recording 480i footage from a PS2, so avoid that one for sure.

lol

I really liked the whole Ultimecia-Rinoa theory which made her a better fleshed out villain, almost like FF1's but still better than just dropping the ball.

Thanks, another reason to do it with a PC is because I can load games from my HDD via ethernet (since my PS2 is a slim model), which would save me some time (aka, burning discs.)

Basically yes. And they didn't even fix the framerate. You're better off playing the zodiac version on PCSX2 for free.

What utter fucking idiots.

30FPS

lmao

The graphics are awful and the framerate is about 15

Yeah and the awful writing.

This tbqh

jesus christ my whole world is collapsing, why has no one retranslated it?

Bumping thread with yet another one, along with the full tumblr post.
archive.is/dgW53

seems like either learn japanese or just skip the games

Wow, they really fucked up his characterization. I get that the Jap version kind of makes him a wimp because apologizing all the time is gay and beta, but I much prefer it to him being an entirely non-character muppet. I can kind of understand rewriting, not (((localizing))), some lines as long as they read the same, but this changes the main character completely. What was Square thinking?

I didn't buy the new game, but I did find my old copy for ps2 and played it for a while. Shit's fun.

Good question, I would say it is because of the length and the size of the game's dialogue, but fans retranslated VII a few years back, which is pretty comparable to VIII in terms of length and dialogue.

I goofed up like a tard and made a different thread so I'll post this here instead and delete my shitty thread.

So I figure while playing this game I did something really fucking dumb
I have this as my current party setup
I use Fran as the party leader assuming that I can eventually have an ability to keep the aggro heat off of her while I cast buffs, heals, and debuffs. The problem is I looked at an ability list and the only thing that even resembles that is an ability called Decoy which makes the enemies attack that character but it has an almost halfway chance of failing to cast.
I really want to play the game micromanaging the buffs and debuffs and shit but it seems that can't be done, I'd even be okay with a gambit that has a character stay in the front of the party so they draw the enemy sight aggo but I'm not sure if that exists.
tl'dr Is there a way to use a back seat driving mage without drawing enemy aggro being the party leader that would run into enemies first?

From what I remember of the battle system monsters will acquire "enmity" towards a character that heals the team or attacks them, increasing their chances of hitting that character. Other than decoy there isn't really a way to manipulate the AI.

Decoy has a good hit rate on units with low magic evade. It works quite well really. Maybe you gave Basch some equipment that boosts his magic evade or magic res? This will make it harder to stick decoy, so consider if he actually needs it. Enemies lose aggro when attacking you and gain aggro when they are attacked, so if you're taking damage try to divert your auto-attacks.
As for having allies enter combat first, the only way to so really is to have 'foe:party leader's target' somewhere on your list and manually target enemies before they get into range. This will cause your allies to chase them down and as long as you don't walk close enough for the enemy to enter your attack range you won't aggro them first. Turning off gambits for your player character will make it easier to manage their aggro (and stops them from automatically moving into auto-attack range), but having your gambits off can be annoying sometimes.

Ah, that's a damn shame. I was really spoiled by Xenoblade Chronicle's method of aggro.

Oh, should've mentioned I'm only in the part where you broke out of your cuffs in the airship and got Bash's twin as a guest character so I don't actually have decoy yet, but that's good information.
Are you sure? I was fairly positive when I kept them on Attack Leader's Target that they didn't chase them down after I selected the attack button with Fran's crossbow, did I do something wrong or did you mean something else when you say manually select?
This happened to be the one thing I didn't have a problem dealing with since I play a lot of JRPGs for their micromanagement overload

I could be wrong, I liked the game enough but I played the fan translation and that was some time ago. I thought time mages got access to decoy pretty early though.

Looks like someone hasn't been doing their sidequests.

Oh no it's available to buy but I didn't get the license for them yet. Got around 120 or so LP before I can get it.

Zodiac jobs ruined the flow of the original, I hate it

I never played the original, what did it do to ruin the flow?

There were no classes and everyone had a full licence board, it really helped to accomodate everyone to different types of enemies quite easily

I went to take a look at the license boards again, it looks like I must have been thinking of red mage.

I played both, zodiac jobs was much better in every aspect aside from the absolute inability to respec jobs, or to set a subclass. Not that you should've been able to swap jobs willy-nilly, but with 3 active characters, 6 total characters and 12 jobs to choose from they're basically saying 'Just replay the game if you want to try out everything :^)' which is pretty gay. Something like a level-loss penalty or an expensive NPC service that would let you respec characters would've made the game a lot more fun.
But whatever, enjoy your zodiac spear nerd.

It made every character a literal carbon copy aside from millisecond differences in animations and stats that were less than 10% better or worse than another character.
It also made vaan the best character in the game since he had the best stats in all fields and most of the best animations, so I guess you just wanted an excuse to put a half naked pretty boy on your screen just like the squeenix execs expected, huh \:^_]

Such a nice game riddled with shit gatcha system. Here's more screenshots and one from the PC version.

Yea I think Ashe and Basch where meant to be the protagonists so your party would be Ashe, Basch, Balther and Fran with the occasional guest character, they shoe horned in Vaan and Penelo to cater to dumb faggots, its why the entire story Vaan and Penelo are literally doing nothing other than being background noise.

Unless they finally made the game it was going to be, it doesn't matter what upgraded version they have, it will always be inferior to what could have happened.

Thanks for the sick updated screenshot

videogames are over

I've heard that there's no longer a Fomalhaut in the antlion cave. Is that true?

I remember playing this game, was my first final fantasy game and it was pretty fun but i bought a used copy and the disc was all fucked up, i got to that one part where you go into that big blue beehive looking thing and fought that dragon on thin air and the cut scene after that always froze never bothered to get a new one to finish playing it, how close was i to finishing it?

You mean in Giruvegan?

just looked it up, pretty sure that is it

whats your CPU? You could probably emulate it right now

PC When?
Not going to pay for $400 of DRM just to play a remake.

I love how you are defending a half baked asspull to justify the mess of a plot of FF8 as some sort of proper explanation.

In that case there's another boss in Giruvegan after that one and then another dungeon (which is functionally the final dungeon) with several boss fights and then the final boss. That doesn't tell the whole story though because there is a ton of side content that becomes available at this time including 5 or 6 extended areas in several of the dungeons. Also a bunch of optional boss fights.

After jumping off FF11 i never once used the gambit system on FF12 and manually did everything like FF11 and i liked it. Penelo had the best butt.

In wait mode right?

Of course, i have more than one character to control then FF11. Gambits made fights longer along with overall time consumption when you die. Also gambits cost gill.

I can't even imagine trying to take on Subterra or Yiazmat without gambits.

Tyrant is beating my ass, I hate this game (vanilla PS2 version)

Which FFXII girl has the best ass?

Penelo.

Penelo is dumb as fuck and looks as if she had down syndrome or some other mongoloid shit. Ashe is a cuck and Frsn a treenigger

these kikes have no fucking shame do they? charging full price of a modern game for a recolor of a 15 year old game.

The game came out in 2006, learn to math

my perception of time is broken.

sometimes i feel like i live under the effect of 『Stairway To Heaven』

I hope that when they say they made it easier all they did was adding some more save points. There was a few times i got mad at the game because when i died i lost 1+ hour of progress. That is fake difficulty

One change that I absolutely hate is that they nerfed many of the accessories, by making their acquisition way harder. For example, all Golden Amulets have been removed from vendors and there seems to be a limited amount in the game (only 4, from what I have heard). I was going to all the correct vendors and I was driving myself insane, thinking I did something wrong, until I looked it up online. That was a total dick move on square's part. Its not like maxing out your License board even makes your characters OP.

So they made it easier but they also made it harder at the same time. Anyone have some differences?

Are they reusing the same character models?

how so?
They're completely useless. You'll fill out the board halfway through the game.

how the fuck do you even die in FF12 unless fighting a boss?
You can literally run away from every encounter.

I played FF12 11-12 years or so so i cant remember it much. I think one of the time i died when losing a lot of progress was fighting ifrit since i dont remember there was a savepoint nearby so i went into the door without being prepared for a boss. That was just one place and i remember being 3-4 places more but i cant remember the name

No steam no buy.

Sorry but the original still works just fine

It is listed as being $49.99 for the US and around the same price for Europe, the price in Canada is $65.

Are you suggesting you got through the entire game with only Attack and Item commands available? Not to mention stats set to their base value.
Using GFs meant junctioning not just summoning.

60$ in argentina

because they need to pay for the ELECTRICITY to transfer the game over here right?

fucking kikes.

THANK YOU
jesus fuck I'm so tired of people parroting the same shit about this game

good, because this game was at first not meant to be an entry in the series

fighting Belias?
Ifrit is an airship

How does that happen?

Some textures were reworked, with Vaan's fucked up abs now being gone, and texture resolution improved. Certain faux-reflective effects were added. They made a big deal of Fran's ass now having more polygons, so I'm assuming they did some work with other models as well.

Square is gonna play coy for a while first, but it will probably take at least a year for a PC version to arrive.

Elder Wyrm in the Golmore Jungle?

Fucking with entites and some of the rare game.

by being unprepared.

Like a lot of PS4 "exclusives" it's gonna be on the mustard box 6 months later or a year later on the mark. See also: X/X-2 HD.

sorry, I can't read

That shit was still stupid.

FFXII is the only game I remember making me nauseous due to a combination of the desert and music, not to mention the dull as fuck movement speed and combat. Everything about this game is boring to me, when it's not attacking my senses.

It's a single player MMO.

Yeah I tried doing this and it seems my party members will only attack when I begin an assault. Is there another way for them to run ahead on target select?

I just kept the default attack and healing gambits on. When my mp pool grows large enough i graduate a spell as a gambit.
All special attacks, potions or anything that uses too much mp are done manually. You can take down relatively stronger opponents this way. PS2 version was pretty easy imo. I cant imagine them dumbing down zodiac because of gambit faggots.

This is the only game were i can play as blonde people fighting darker haired violence prone degenerates.
That thieving lizard race doesn't deserve to live in Dalmasca

Playing it now for the first time, it's both amazing and seriously disappointing. The battle system is fantastic. It is an amazing combination of consolized JRPG menu combat and WRPG-style RTWP, and a logical evolution of FFXI's combat. I'm having a blast playing it.
It's disappointing because I have never seen this system used anywhere else ever. FFXIV had a somewhat similar system in 1.0, but it was terribly conceived and marred by an awful engine, in 2.0 they decided to just copy WoW, and FFXV went full action game.

Fucking love bunnies.

That was in FF12 IZJS
That was in FF12 IZJS

This sounds like a direct port of the IZJS release from nearly a decade ago.

It is essentially IZJS with better textures, a higher resolution and a few new features.
Still good, though, because we never got IZJS here in the west.

There's a few new features like a second license board for everyone so you can use every job in one playthrough.
You can also change camera controls that I'm pretty sure wasn't present in the original releases and I'm also pretty sure it has dual audio.
Only thing I'm disappointed in is the fact that despite the game being a fucking 41 GB install, the audio is still compressed to hell and back

Is that battletoads?

There was a translated copy of IZJS floating around Holla Forums for a few years, and it emulated flawlessly. I'm not even sure it was translated - it might have been the Asia release that includes English as standard for places like Singapore.
Either way, it's cool that people who missed it will get to play it. It's in the top three FF titles for me, easy.

That's pretty nice, yeah. I definitely liked how every character became useful when tied to their Zodiac board "jobs", kind of like how you'd pick a team loadout for FFT. With a second board for everyone, it sounds like you'll be able to throw some characters in the fire again, which is kind of a shame - though Vaan and Penelo are so annoying I can't really blame people.

The sexiest thing about Fran isn't her stripper heels or her amazonian body or even her hooker strut - it's 100% her accent

No, it's a translation patch. The patch process required an ISO of the original game and of IZJS and essentially what they did was copy the text data over. There were some untranslated spots for a long time but that's mostly been smoothed over, so yes, if you wanted you could emulate IZJS on PCSX2 for free and have a very nice time with it if you don't have access to a PS4.

The PS4 version does have its own perks though.

I'm not the biggest fan of her voice. I mostly just like how many nods her design takes from actual rabbits. Even her nose is rabbit-like. Most video game bunny girls are just anime girls wearing a bunny hood.
Though something must be said for her sexy long legs.

I used Ashe, Basch, and Vaan as my main team when I played FFXII for the first time. I only used Penelo if I had no choice.

Does it have additional goodies over PS2 Zodiac?

The time has come and so have I

Exquisite taste my friend!

So is it good/worth it or not?

Depends on how much you like FF12.

Still haven't played it, played 1-10 and this was to be next. Couldn't decide on which version to play so I was putting it off

I don't even care if any other systems get Final Fantasy, 'cause Final Fantasy sucks ass now.
Ooh, look at Final Fantasy XII! You know, you runnin' around with a lil girl and shit. Fuck. Everybody knows that girls can't do shit other than suck DICK.

Did you ever play the demo?

How do you fuck up this badly this often.
I wish I could kill the people who pay for this shit. Every remake you buy is one less game that could have existed.

That's not what he said though.

No it's what the clear side by side screenshots show.

Nope

I used 5 hi-ethers to beat Fafnir.
Did I waste them or was it a good idea?

To be honest it's seems like a difference of interpretation between the two translators. Here, the fan translator assumes that Squall is "nicer" than what he transpires from the official translation.

But the truth is, nobody knows for sure except the japanese writer. Even reading it in japanese could lead to personal interpretation. Was Squall a spastic, a guy who don't give a fuck or someone extremely timid? All of those are true to some extend. You can nitpick for decades on those kind of things, but the truth in this case is that it probably doesn't matter.

The only dealbreaker should be real dialogue or character development being swapped for mundane jokes or shitty memes. Or worse, when there is an ulterior motive behind the translation. I guess arguing about it is a sane practice, but those pictures in particular remind me more of fujoshi pubic hair pulling than real criticism.

nigga hunts are the only challenging part of the game.
Not to mention hi ethers aren't even rare or that clutch. You can even farm elixirs in the game.

Not very hard considering how broken Squall is and how piss easy the game is.
Didn't go through the whole game though, just till that retarded segment of "muh memory"

who gives a shit then? I'll just emulate the original

Sounds like every girl on every game released post 2010.

hi dummy

They're literally the lucavi from Tactics you know those badass ancient demons running around posessing dudes and clolluding to summon all of their friends back into Ivalice? You stupid Nigger, it's fucking Ivalice

Is anyone actually playing this game and enjoying it? I've been playing pretty much all weekend and so far it's been great!
What builds are you running on your characters?
How far are you through the game?
Are you enjoying it?
I've set up my Characters as;
Vaan: Foebreaker / Monk
Balthier: Shikari / Machinist
Fran: Archer / Blackmage
Basch: Knight / Bushi
Ashe: Uhlan / Redmage
Penelo: Time Battlemage / Whitemage
I tried to allocate my classes to the 3 types of characters i wanted for each party, 1 dps 1 tank and 1 support.
I would have swapped monk and uhlan between ashe and vaan but I didn't know the game would let you pick 2 fucking classes otherwise I would have their classes switched

They would get a whole lot more discussion if they released it on PC like all the other FF games.

I really enjoy this game, it fucking sucks that no one is playing it.

I like it but some niggling issues like I bitched about here
Decided to deal with it and run with controlling Ashe as my tanky red mage with Penelo being a DPS monk

It's one of my favorites in the series as well.
It's a shame they haven't bothered to expand on Ivalice more. It's one of the better worlds Square has designed.

It's an offline MMO with a story that is literally Star Wars.

I see, yeah as far as keeping agro off a party member, what find helps/try doing is moving the healer away from the 2 melee which is already pretty obvious while also having the melee attacking as much as possible. I'm not 100% sure how the agro works, but from what i've found it seems to be whevener i can keep one character attacking enough and dealing enough damage the other enemies seem to leave the healer alone and when it comes down to it, if the main healer falls I have either ashe or balthier there to revive and drop a curaja or a hi potion on the healer to get things back into the flow. Also fuck decoy, literally went through half of one characters mana just trying to cast it on someone, it's not worth it IMO.

this is the most accurate description of this game ever said ever

My 1st party consists of:
Vaan: Foebreaker / Monk
Fran: Archer / Blackmage
Ashe: Uhlan / Redmage
and the 2nd is:
Balthier: Shikari / Machinist
Basch: Knight / Bushi
Penelo: Time Battlemage / Whitemage

The 1st party is the best suited for large enemy mobs because of the abundance of heals and ashe and fran can cast aoe magicks and heal the fk out of vaan if he needs it making 6v3's a breeze.
The 2nd party is more focused on tough enemys and bosses, because i have 2 full dps classes on basch and balthier, penelo is pretty much the best healer out of all of my characters and with the amount damage balthier and basch do, i never find penelo being the target of agro and even if i do, she has enough mana/heals so sustain herself AND the party long enough so basch of balthier take the agro.
For heal gambits i have penelo ashe and fran set to:
Ally: Any Cast Revive
Ally:

*basch and balthier take the agro
fuckin derp

Squeenix bothered to splatter a smooth filter over the textures but can't filter audio files it seems. Fucking amazing voice talent damaged by corporate meddling.

Fuck Wada. Fuck Toriyama. Fuck XIV.

That said, everything else in this port is pretty fucking sweet. The speed up is a godsend, I'm already at Ozmone Plain 10 hours in, would have been even further if I skipped cutscenes. But I never skip cutscenes in XII because everything about the script is so fucking cum-inducing. I like the reorchestrated music too. And the second/different licence board. It's been a while since I played, but I don't remember the accessories being so unique. Also I could swear there were some minor additional cutscenes here and there, like that CG introduction to Nalbina the first time you enter it, but I could have just forgot about it.

It's amazing to think this game was wrapped up with a fraction of its potential and still is a far more complete product than XV. I wish Matsuno still had the possibility to make Vagrant Story 2 holy fucking shit never ever.

yeah the voice quality is a damn shame.
nice
pic related and great point
holy fuck i legit thought that too lmao.
Yeah it would have been great if the game told me i'd be able to assign 2 licence boards to a character but still chuffed i'm able to use all the weapons without having to do a second fucking play through kek

forgot to attach pic lmao

Thanks for the hot tips, I'll use those gambits for Fran

Hey no worries, really hope they help. I've been using these spells untill I need to learn better ones but i reckon i'll keep using them for another 10-20 levels, right now my party is around level 30, have roughly 2-3k hp and are being healed by about 3-4K with curaja and cura heals roughly 1k so with that in mind, if party members are missing health and a healer casts cura, the whole party will be fully healed most of the time.you just need to make sure your specing your healer to have the most magick potency and channeling costs down on top of a mana pool that will last them untill the next save point. From what i'm aware penelo ashe and fran have the highest mana so making them healers is optimal.

Yeah I run my party with Fran Time Mage, Penelo Monk, and Ashe as Redmage because they all have some heal capability while doing the roles I need them to do but I was frothing at the mouth at a good gambit setup so you really did help me out, homie. Thanks!

That's a good setup, IMO Ashe is the best pick for Redmage because of her overall balance between str and mag. I honestly should have picked Fran as Time wizard because fran has the highest attack of the 3 i think and the class has a lot of battle lore nodes to unlock. Just make sure you don't lock out any spells/armor sets for your healers. You'll generally want mystic armor for them because of the magic stat boost. I'm currently running a heavy armor piece and mystic hat for Ashe because I have her speced for physical damage and secondary healing. Also don't forget you can pick an additional licence board for your character once you unlock Belias the Gigas. Use this knowledge to ur advantage because it can save you some pain in the future. for example the classes i picked for balthier locked him out of using any armor other than light armor so i'm kinda stuck with that for now :(

Also Vaan has a high base magic stat which would make him a great pick for a secondary healer. Keep that in mind if your running low on heals, Vaan can make up for a lack of them.

Whats with the influx of cuckhanners?
Is it EVO?

Current cuckchan filenames start with 149 or 150.

Though now that cuckmonkey added an option to save images here with the same filename, it's become less of an identifier.

Neat, didn't know about the mystic armor stat boost
You da man

i just went onto google nigger, i've never been on 4chan because it's blocked at work lol

Also another thing to keep in mind is that flying enemies can't be hit melee weapons except spears and maybe poles though i'm not 100% sure so it's a good idea to have a balance between ranged and melee attackers because you don't want your only ranged to also be the only heal. You'll find your healer trying to keep the melee attackers alive while dealing 0 damage to the enemy if that's the case.

I'd suggest making one of their second classes Bushi. The class has a lot of Magick Lore nodes than it does Battle Lore nodes, it would make a great secondary class for a mage.

ffxii rerelease can only mean one thing more faustsketcher

quality content

I really liked Penelo's body glove and round butt + perfect tits, niggas had no reason to say she is a bad character

sure why not?

penelo has some of the best stats, no reason to say she's bad at all or maybe it's because i have the golden amulet equipped which doubles LP earned

She's not a bad character, she's a no character; like Vaan, she was just crowbar'd in late in development because, I GUESS, they wanted fresh young people that the audience could identify with, instead of a proto-Lightning widow and a delicious sweedish chocolate bunnygirl druid. At any rate, she and Vaan don't have any personality outside of 'generic vaguely-Alladin fantasy desert teens', except Vaan actually does shit like yelling about Ondore's lies so her only personality moment is she gets kidnapped once. Shit, even Ashley Graham from Resident Evil 4 gets a personality of 'largely annoying american teen', except she's totes DTF at the end which is both established personality AND emotional development. All Penelo really is, is a fuck puppet.

Yeah it's a damn shame, their voice acting sounds kinda rushed as well. For example some of Vaan's lines at the start of the game sound kinda abrupt and lacking the appropriate tone for the situation like when he's talking about Reks or the current situation that Rabanastre is in with the empire and such. If they recorded the lines slightly more spaced out IMO it would make the characters and story A LOT more engaging. It all sounds very rushed. Except the other characters they're fucking perfect.

Not sure if anything changed hardware-wise since then but lag should only ever occur with hardware-encoding capture cards. I'm using an old PCI AverTV Studio 303 (Conexant CX23880 chip)
on my 'old vidya' box and there's no noticeable lag whatsoever (even though I believe it has an mpeg encoding mode). Mind you, it's an SD card only.

did they fix the spell queue system?

what do you mean?
can you elaborate?

In the PS2 Zodiac version it's terrible to run triple BLM for example because when their castbar is at full he still won't do the attack until another BLM finishes his animation essentially putting them in a queue.

It's the only thing I'd have liked to see fixed.

i get what you mean, i never really noticed it because i don't use more than 1 spell damage caster per party but it came up when i played the original. i'd test it now but i only have 1 blackmage and haven't bought enough magicks to use my redmage as the second caster. If i get around to it i'll let u know

That's actually a hardware limit of the PS2. That shouldn't be a problem with the PS$ release.

its a built in engine limitation. It isn't changed in the PS4 release at all.

There is nothing to fix because this is a conscious design decision. It gives you a reason to use low tier spells and items over spamming curaga over and over. Its also the only thing that is stopping late game bosses from spamming their attacks over and over because all of them have 0 charge time.

(heil'd)

pretty sure its been in most ff games with an action bar, everything usually stops when someone uses a spell, sometimes the action bar keeps charging and sometimes it can change depending if ur on wait or active mode but with WoFF, FF8 and FF10-2 they all stop everyones actions while still charging the action bar. i'm pretty sure not 100% though

this guy claims it is indeed fixed though and that there is no wait times anymore, 5:00

Oh yeah my shits setup so I can take control of Fran myself anytime shit goes south so I'm good there

A'ight, I'll keep that in mind

This is a good video, gives a great explanation of the changes also yeah that magic queue removal is hype. Also i remember watching this guy's videos awhile back, he's got some good content.

Could not disagree more tbh. Played both when they released, and VIII was a massive disappointment all around (and not just to me, but to basically everyone who had played VII and earlier titles).

The draw system is arduous and basically allows you to 'cheat', the characters are mostly extremely shallow and unconvincing (other than dream-boy) and the story is a convoluted and preposterously coincidental (or convenient) mess.

The music is good, but not as striking as VII, and the graphics were really impressive for the time. Other than that, the game is really mediocre.

XI on the other hand, was brilliant (and was officially the last good final fantasy).

It was out in 1999. Not trying to be a dick, just felt like correcting you. Also, did you never play XI? It's fucking great.

IX*

trash

9 is the worst of the PS1 games.

all opinions are created equal

I've just downloaded it for pcsx2 having never played it. I avoided it at the time on precisely the grounds that you describe: that it looked like a boring one player mmo (also I hated X).

I'll give it a go over the next few weeks though. Does seem to have more mature/better dialogue than most FF's, from what I've seen.

I thought VIII was going to be a god damn masterpiece after I played the demo disc that I ripped out of a magazine display in the local grocery store.
If the entire game was a WWII-analogue beach-raiding war theme, it would have been amazing. That whole sequence beginning with the beach landing and ending with that spider robot boss was the best part of the game by far.
Sadly, when I played the actual game on release day, I quickly found out that it was a poorly-written moody teen drama with characters that act like they're actors who don't want the job.

VII>>>>IX>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>VIII tbh

never really understood the comparison to an MMO

Huge open maps with nothing in them and a weird semi-automated/semi-active battle system (with no visual frills). I should note again though, that I never played it. This was just my impression of videos I saw and of watching one of my flatmates playing it.

Large field environments and auto-attack probably. That's all I can think of.
It's one of the better FFs, honestly, even considering its numerous flaws.

Your assumption is not wrong. I still love the game even though I generally hate MMOs.

Ha yeah I remember loving the demo. I particularly liked the audio - the lack of music at a certain point seemed really cool to me. But yeah, it ended up being a non-fan's idea of a Final Fantasy game: angsty, but completely hollow characters, cringe all over the place and a terrible plot that tries to hide its aimlessness behind convolution.

Seifer seemed like a cool rival from the promo material and the demo. Turns out he's just an emotionally fragile pawn who basically gets forgotten about.

Rinoa's a super bland non-waifu too.

I did like Laguna though, and ended up preferring the dream sequences to normal play. Had a lot of potential, but squandered it at basically every level.

Good to hear, as I've just downloaded it. At the time I really took against how 'un-FF-ish' it seemed (although anything had to be an improvement on the holocaust of cringe that was FFX).

I was suspicious, but now I know that I was right. You're me.

Just to test your hypothesis, finish this statement:
>FFVII is ____

VIII didn't deserve Laguna

un-FF is very fair to say about it, but it's my favorite game in the series of the ones I've played

Couldn't agree more.
His personality and his arc were truly diamonds in the rough. He was an ffvii-tier character in an otherwise bland, and weirdly autistic game (Squall is literally an autist as far as I can tell - although some of the posts above lead me to believe this was partially due to terrible translation).

Have you played VII? I know it's a meme, but it's so fucking good. It achieves everything FF games aim for better than any entry I've played. I still think of it as the benchmark for story/character-driven games.

Yeah, VII is probably my favorite after XII.
I played it after VIII and IX and I still loved it to death, more so than IX even.

It's basically the first .hack games, but with an auto-attack routine. You MAYBE control one person, and everyone else is an AI that you HOPE you set up right before bumbling into a random fight and watching it play out with slightly more input than an Ogre Battle fight.

Final Fantasy died with FFX, and even that was a death knell more than a swan song.

dat file name
kek

Definitely not me. I was looking for:
We can still be friends…..so long as you aren't black or jewish.

I love IX, but I think that it's never going to be as popular (or as meaningful) as VII because it has a lighter tone (even if a lot of the plot is actually darker than anything else in FF - Vivi's whole arc).

Zidane is likable, but he's not 'cool' like Cloud. And Kuja pales in comparison to Sephiroth/Jenova.

You should really just set up gambits to cover extreme or rare cases like death/status ailments/etc, and control everyone manually otherwise. Going through that gambit slog just to make your characters play themselves seems kind of backwards to me, though I suppose it's nice that autists can set up relatively complex AI logic if they want to.
I hope you're not talking shit about Ogre Battle right now.

Well, at least I know I'm not schizophrenic.
FF7 is my third favorite FF game after 6 and 1, and I fully acknowledge that nostalgia is the most heavily weighted factor in that tiering.
As for "the best game ever made" I'd personally nominate either Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen or the original X-Com game - and I'd probably lean towards X-Com.

X was cringey nonsense. The edgelordiness of Rammstein at the start set the tone for the entire game tbh.

I've tried to play VI, but it's just too dated for me.
Tbf my love of VII is tied up with nostalgia (it being my first jrpg). More than that, though - it completely connected with me. Even at the age of 9, I was an angsty little fucker, and really identified with Cloud (and Sephiroth) and his (their) identity crises.

Never even heard of Ogre Battle and never played an X-Com, so can't comment there.

Also, I think that Tifa's one of the best supporting characters ever, and definitely one of the best female characters in videogaming.

All things I agree with. Square themselves even seem to misunderstand the way in which Cloud is actually "cool". Fuck Advent Children.

That never was Rammstein, I believe. I think that's just what retarded kids put in the filename on Napster and Kazaa.

Oh lawd.
Well, if you think FF6 is dated, then I doubt you'll like the SNES Ogre Battle. Try Ogre Battle 64 instead if you're in the mood for a good SRPG; it's a bit easier than its SNES predecessor, and more story-focused, but it's a lot of fun.
X-Com is a series about real-time strategy macro and turn-based tactical micro, with some light RPG elements like soldier rank-ups and such. It's even more dated than Ogre Battle, though. The newer "XCOM" games are a lot of fun, but they're like plastic board game versions of the original, and as a result lost some depth and atmosphere.

I was 14 when it came out, but my perspective of Cloud at least was very different. He didn't seem angsty to me at all, but rather extremely easy-going and light-heartedly irreverent even in the face of serious situations. Sephiroth was his direct opposite: cartoonishly evil with no reasonable justification even when being neutral would serve his goals.
My favorite supporting character was Cid, because even at 14 I identified more with his curmudgeon-like attitude than anybody else in the game. Tifa was also very well-written, and I'm not just talking about her tits. I didn't appreciate Cait Sith's character until later, though he's still shit from a mechanical perspective, and to this day I don't understand why Yuffie even exists.

I blame X for XIII. XII is different in so many ways. It basically made me feel that after X maybe it was time for me to leave actual Final Fantasy games behind, if something so different appealed to me this much.

Yuffie and Vincent are optional characters that are there to add more content, but are ultimately not important to the overall plot of VII.

Yeah, I mean I get that, but there's just so little to her that she wouldn't even meet modern day DLC character standards. She doesn't even have a story arc, just a "bitch stole my shit" mini-game. Vincent at least as some little story elements that attempt to tie him into the game's lore.

Gonna be honest, there were points in the original FF12 where you could fuck yourself hard and the only solution was tons of grinding for job points in a game where combat is slow at best.

Also the combat is shit. Also the game plays like a really fucking slow MMO. Also they already did that style of gameplay MUCH better with the FF11 MMO. FF12 is not a good or well designed game. The last good game in final fantasy was FF11.

She's hot.

I wanna be a cunnyboy :3

I guess. She kind of looks like a ventriloquist dummy to me, and doesn't fit the aesthetic of the rest of the characters. She always looked more out of place with the party than either Cait Sith or Red XIII.
She looks hot in concept art and fanart, but when I was playing the game as a kid those things didn't really exist yet as far as I knew.

It's also nice when a character has some character to them, though hotness is always appreciated.

So, does every person have a different idea of when Final Fantasy died for real?

From Trudeau giving our tax money to Saudi's, immigrants, and natives.

It depends on many factors:

I'm old enough to have played FF1 when it came out, though I could barely comprehend what was going on. I love that game to death, even though I know that half of its mechanics are bugged or broken. I loved FF4 and FF6, but FF5 never stuck with me despite my love of the job system. I loved FF7, hated FF8 and FF9 was bland to me. When I saw FFX, I pretty much thought the series was over forever.

However, I loved FFT and FF12, and I enjoyed Chocobo Mystery Dungeon and Theatrhythm Final Fantasy. FFXIV even had some passing merit for a while there, before I was overcome with the usual MMO fatigue and nausea and dropped it forever. Lightning Returns, despite being centered around the worst characters in the worst storyline in FF history, was really fucking fun and I did not see that coming when I played it on a whim one day.

So I dunno, user. Did it die, or is it just in a medically induced coma? I think the franchise still has some life left in it, though its days of being a consistent source of quality and a genre-leader are long, long over.

i'm pretty pumped for the magic queue removal, it's going to be absolute madness with 3 blackmages, might do that on my next playthrough.

Final Fantasy is dead because Squaresoft is dead and Enix is just using them like a marionette. My only lament is i can't blame Enix on FF11 being an MMO, which, while i'd be down for an MMO Final Fantasy, making a numbered title an MMO was retarded. On a related note, i think Legend of Mana just crammed a bunch of useless shit into the Seiken Densetsu series and tainted it forever, and i never liked any SaGa game except SaGa 3, which had an actual leveling system.

Holy fucking shit, really? Together with the 4x Turbo Boost this pretty much solves every major non-Vaan related gripe I had with the PS2 games.

Yeah dude, it's about as crazy as you could imagine, all 3 mages casting highest lvl magic with no queues or wait times going to make trail mode fucking insane in the late game

(Checked)
lol unfortunately the game is a lot easier now with the balance changes and damage limit removed, however trail mode makes up for that apparently thank fuck because this playthrough has been a fucking walk in the fucking park holy shit nigger it's like watered down piss Hopefully it's difficult enough to warrant a second playthrough

What's the easiest way to go about farming
for Tournesol? Does anyone have a good guide for it?

neoseeker.com/forums/4605/t827453-timed-guide-to-getting-tournesol/
Does this work for you?

it does, thanks pal. I legit think i printed this guide out ages ago when playing through the original but couldn't find it again lol

Holy fuck that's a ten year old guide post.
No problem though nigga

There's two ways to go about it: stealing from rare game and grinding late game mobs for drops. Personally I prefer the rare game method because it's more reliable since stealing always eventually succeeds. Note that some of the monsters you need is trophy rare game so you need to start the hunt club sidequest but you mustn't kill any of them since trophy monsters never respawn.

I remember there being monsters from the hunt club that drop the stuff you need, i was planning on smashing them all out and getting all the shit i need when farming for tournesol. mfw i first played the original game, i did all the hunts and stupidly sold everything at once not even knowing there was a crafting system lmfao

There's a fucking crafting system?
Holy shit please explain

well, basically it's the bazaar system when you sell the correct items to the shop, you'll unlock certain item's like tournesol and Sagittarius i think I don't have a list of what u can make but i'm sure theres one out there

finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Bazaar_(Final_Fantasy_XII)

most of the things you can make are here if not all of them

For the longest time I thought that was just based on how much money worth of shit you sold them
That's wild

lmfao yeah same it's good shit ay. It's great in the late game when you can go out and get all the stuff easily and make the best shit.

Useful links:

finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Final_Fantasy_XII_weapons List of weapons, also explains how stats affect weapon damage and etc

finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Final_Fantasy_XII_armor List of armor and what it does, also explains the metal armor/shield mechanic and such

finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Final_Fantasy_XII_accessories Accessories and the stats they give (zodiac age is halfway down the page)

finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Bestiary_(Final_Fantasy_XII) List of all the enemies in the game. Includes drop/steal rates and all enemy data.

finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Bazaar_(Final_Fantasy_XII) Bazaar items

Those monsters don't drop anything but trophies but all of them have great loot or equipment that can be stolen from them.

yeah true, I thought you also received high arcana from some of the hunts? it's been awhile since i played the original so i might be remembering it wrong, either way i've had a party member set to steal with thief cuffs, equipped when i'm fighting bosses and rare mobs since i got the thief cuffs, so i shouldn't miss anything when i do the hunts

V users with Nigger tier taste appear again.

Get AIDs.

Was the new OST released ? I need that shit.

You need a canopic jar to reliably get high arcana. It's crafted from deimos clay, phobos glaze, and horakhty's flame.

Chocolate furred bunnies aren't niggers.

I just unlocked the second license board and what I am working with right now is
My question being, what should their second licenses be to compliment what I got going on right now?

I would have liked if they had gone a mile further and changed the character models, maybe a different one by jobs too. Ashe and Penelo models are atrocious. Vaan too but he's eternally benched.

The loc team behind final fantasy on psx was the same team who is now sitting in treehouse.

probs go with archer, blackmage or bushi
bushi or knight
whitemage or blackmage

Oh cool, thanks, user
Those compliment their current classes yeah?
Also how does the second board work? Do I use all the skills between the two or do I have to pick one and swap between them?

So basically, you get 2 seperate licence boards, you keep everything you unlock from each. Archer is usually the best for fran because i think she has the fastest attack cycle with bows and added with the speed and high damage of time bmage should work nicely. Bushi goes well along any magic class because the katana's damage scales off mag. Knight might work well with ashe because the role has high strength and white magicks later on and ashe has high base mag and str, plus the heavy armor can be useful for extra damage. Black or white mage would be good for penelos second class because she has a very high base magic stat and high speed (which goes well with monk because poles are combo weapons) just keep in mind you don't want to lock out any armor/weapons/magicks, when picking ur second board, that you might need.

Ooooh, what do you mean by lock out armour and weapons though?
Like if I unlock a set of armour on the second license board it restricts the first or something?

nah i just mean if u need someone to learn a certian spell/technique for ur character, just check to see if it's on the board you picked. For example the classes i picked for fran don't let her use esuna which fucking sucks lmao, but yeah keep it in mind

like if u unlock a board just make sure its got the armor/weapons/spells u want that character to use

Thanks user, you da real MVP, I saved all your info in a notepad file to refer to while playing.

No worries mane lmao i'm flattered user thanks
Where abouts are you upto? Right now i'm up to the part just after Giruvegan, i'd be alot further but i haven't been skipping cutscenes and been grinding levels and loot and such lol

I just got the Dawn Shard and went through a bunch of cutscene shit and I got the golden amulet doing shit for that patient in the desert. I'm just faffing with side content right now

nice dude, yeah it's also not a bad idea to have the bazaar guide open when you go to a merchant just in case you pickup/steal any rare items that could be used to craft rare equipment. It's a pain in the ass having to farm for stuff that you accidentally sold not knowing it could have been used for something.