SRPG DEAD?

People always say RTS are dead, but SRPG seem even more deader yet nobody seems to give a fuck.

TO/FFT/Matsuno stopped giving a fuck and made mobile games.
Fire Emblem becomes modern half assed dating sims and mobage.
Front Mission is dead.
Even Devil Survivor stopped at 2.

SRW is the only remaining franchise with
"big" console release and hype anymore.

Pretty fucking sad considering SRPG is my favorite genre.

I coulda sworn the term always was trpg and not srpg.

Sim-RPG is the Jap term for Tac-RPG in the West.

Wut?

Japs indeed call it Simulation RPG in japland but it means tactical RPG (turn-based, grid movement).

I don't get it either.

The Japs call them Simulation RPGs for some reason.
I know nothing about the genre beyond FE, but I do know that the term is the same.

oh japan

Sadly strategy games as a whole are getting dead.

The only strategy/tactics games that get attention anymore is Total War and Civilization.

well, speaking of trpgs, I finished stella glow the other day
it was pretty generic but kinda cute
I have no idea why so many fags here were all over it even before it was out

still waiting for luminous arc 3 to be translated

Well, I'm playing Wild Arms XF, shit's pretty darn fucking good.

you will never ever learn moonrunes

It's not dead. It lives on in pog third person shooter form.

Devil Survivor is dead because they can't link it to any of the other games while declaring it mainline.

SRW is actually pretty dead in a different sense. Only the diehards who buy two copies of every game cater OR are playasia-slaves are keeping the series afloat outside of Japan.

Meanwhile in Japan, They know the overlap between weebs, mecha-fans and strat fans exists and they know all the ways to exploit them. It's like how Fromsoft formerly held the balls of the mech genre before fucking everything up to the point not even they could recovery.

Did they make Evolved 2 or anything?
SRW has almost no presence outside Japan at all though, nowadays the new-age asian release of the games are breathing new life into the series.

S/TRPGs are still being made rather frequently, even if they're not as good as they used to be. RTSs on the other hand are almost entirely dead. The last big one I can remember was Total Warhammer, which is essentially of a watered down version of a Medieval II mod.

Can you name some recent SRPG?

I only know of SRW V for the PS4, released this year.

I can name at least 3 RTS released this year.

as someone who played both, the med 2 mod is the watered down version. total hyrule is where its at

Banner Saga 2?

It just is not lucrative. Fire emblem is an exception due to its heritage and the fact its a nintendo exclusive.

all that Smash Bros. exposure can't have hurt either.

Banner Saga 2 was actually last year.

Fire Emblem hasn't been released on consoles for ages, save for Fire Emblem musou.

SRW got 2 games on PS4 already.

Atleast Dungeon Travelers is also fun I guess.

If magical vacation finally finished its translation, I'm sure somebody, somewhere is working on LA3

Is Sting dead?

Last game they made was a nep SRPG spin-off.

XF has a fucking balling soundtrack.
Valkyrie Profile: COP is pretty good as well.

There's still xcom and that new Mario crossover.

I can't believe I lived long enough to see something so stupid come into existance.

honestly it might actually be fun as long as Nintendo's conservative values contains Ubiosofts liberalism. But that is unlikely, and wishful thinking, especially considering how awful Rabbids look and behave.
yes we get it newfag. Vidya in CY++ is shit and there is no light at the end of the tunnel but (you) don't fit in yet

What conservative values? They lost those back around 2006, instead favoring to become known as full fledged Nipponese Jews. Back then they were as Jewish (remember their whole lobbying the US government to ban vidya rentals in the 90s?) but at least they did care about not exposing that side publicly.

Underageb& pls

I haven't owned a Nintendo system sense the Gamecube (2001). I emulate all Nintendo products. From my perspective Nintendo Japan seemed pretty conservative. It was only NOA and Tree-house that seemed to be pushing the liberal cancer. I assumed that if Nintendo (j) shifted towards the left it would be due to Satoru Iwata dying.

you are trying way too hard.

Yeah, with 'simulation' being katakana Engrish. They don't even know what the fuck that foreign word means. They just use it 'cause 'Engrish' coor.

I already know moonrunes nigger.
and I never use it and hardly even play any vidya these days, I shitpost online more than anything else.

Remember Touhou SRW?

Too bad people stopped translating them.

Out of all the Holla Forums-boards in existance, this one actually becomes the shittiest during the summer.
Not Op/v/, not P/v/, not even wastrels at W/v/ – it's all 8/v/ leading the summerfag charge with 4/v/ bringing up the rear.

Tactics ogre is shit.

Bumping for Fire Emblem

I don't particularly like Fire Emblem, but what did you guys think of the partner/teamup mechanic in Awakening?

Here (you) go.

I hope you are using the penguin OS and you will be set.

I thought it was a great mechanic, being able to give units crazy useful skills, that they couldn't usually obtain (due to some classes being gender specific) by passing them down to their children. Played through the game twice. Hours well spent tbqh.

I guessing the name is derived from how Nobunaga's Ambition is meant to be a historical simulator.

I always hated FE; but at least, it is not Yggdra Union.

I had forgoten about that absolute tumor. Thanks for reminding me.

Nobunaga's Ambition is a strategy game, not a SRPG.

Disgaea 5 Complete for the Switch if you didn't catch it first time around on the weebstation

Yeah, that, I actually forget about Disgaea.

At least there's something with SRW.

I haven't played it myself yet so don't take this as a recommendation, but there's Project X Zone on the 3DS.

Everybody knows about that game and it has a sequel already.

It's kind of a spin-off related to NamcoxCapcom and SRW.

They glued themselves to the grid based, turn based formula; there's only so many TO clones you can play before they blend together into a big grey goop. The last SRPG I really enjoyed was Valkyria Chronicles because in spite of it's flaws it was new, it was different.

I don't think gameplay is the problem with SRPG.

The problem is that strategy games aren't all that hot anymore, and they are poorly funded nowadays.

Disgaea is honestly pretty fucking shitty as far as SRPGs go. There is a lot of content but it isn't deep at all. Just get bigger numbers.

Coming up with a system that contains depth and is fun to play is time consuming and requires skill from the developers. It's not hard to see why the suits who only care about profit would prefer to churn out more profitable garbage than to spend time crafting a masterpiece, and building up a loyal fanbase/brand recognition.

Considering the shit nowadays, all they have to do is properly funding the game and giving its good graphics and a good marketing campaign while keeping the gameplay the same.

Nu-X-Com proves all you need is graphics and that shit's on PC.

I kind of miss the PSP/DS era where every previous generation console JRPG got a strategy RPG iteration. Even fucking Ys got one, although it was more of an RTS. I guess SMT/Maijin Tensei got a revival with DeSu, and Suikoden had Rhapsodia. It's an interesting way to expand on mechanics.
For instance, Valkyrie Profile: COP for the DS sacrifices the profile view for an isometric one but places much greater import on position and timing, developed from VP2. It has its problems though, mainly the fact you can only use four characters. There's no reason you couldn't have up to six (map characters to shoulder buttons) except series tradition.

I could very easily see Etrian Odyssey being made into a good strategy RPG. All you need to do is add the positional element. The Mystery Dungeon game is a bit of a step in that direction. TFW Xeno-strategy RPG never-everUntil it crosses over into SRW proper.

Bumpan.

You are welcome. As a sentai fan that tumor was painful to cut off.

Why do you all do that ?

I think it's just an emergent board culture thing. Most gameplay videos are shit with needless commentary anyway.

it's very easy to find longplays or even gameplay trailers (even though the latter are of course heavily biased).

It is pretty deep actually. It does plenty of things other TRPGs don't. The newest game allowing people to equip 2 weapons. Reincarnation system, cheat system (that can make the game harder by removing mechanics), throwing/bouncing along with tower throwing, attacks that move both the player and enemy, fusion/magichange, and item world. You can kill enemies hundreds or even thousands of levels above you if you play smartly.