Singleplayer &/or Co-op FPSes

What are some good games in this subgenre? As much as I hate to admit it, I've been enjoying Borderlands quite a bit recently, and was hoping for some (ideally less pozzed) alternatives for once I get tired of it.

I tried Payday 2 as well, but it's not quite to my taste as much. Too focused on co-op, and I generally prefer games better balanced for playing alone. In any case, I'm not up to date on what (if there are any) basic-rpg-element-containing shooters are around nowadays.

Try Killing Floor.

Can play solo or with other people, and the game adjusts itself to the number of players. Mostly, more enemies with larger health bars.

Borderlands 2 is actually a fun experience, politics aside. I wouldn't spend money on an agendized game but you can't doubt that Borderlands 2 is enjoyable to play due to the excellent graphics, varied landscapes, and weapon and skill variety. It was made with passion, and it shows

I've played KF already, it was fun for a while. Is the second one any good? I might be able to convince some of my online gaming buddies to grab it if it's worth playing.
I was a scrub in KF1, though, and I'm generally not a fan of realistic graphics at all; they age very badly.

Yeah, I think it's pretty fun. Not the deepest experience around, but it has enough variety and flavor to keep me fairly interested, and I like the different elemental guns and stuff.

~~

Oh, and I forgot to mention that I'd be interested in more typical third-person ARPGs as well; EDF 4.1 is a ton of fun (although it's no rpg), and I love monster hunter.

I don't understand this sentiment. I personally felt that it was a boring slog through endless bullet sponges and weapons that felt terrible to use. The story and dialogue were cringe-inducing so it couldn't be saved there. In my opinion the only fun part was the slot machine. I enjoyed BL1 so it's not like I hate the genre or anything, but saying BL2 was made with passion just makes me question where that passion went.

Only fun I had with BL2 was playing as Krieg, and that was a lot of fun even if most of what I did was be a burning corpse waiting for a ress.

There was little to no oomph to the guns, and the guns in BL1 had plenty, so they fucked it up. The revolvers in BL1 were sometimes downright obscene in their gratification. I remember getting an explosive revolver at one point, and not wanting to replace it because it meant no more point->MAGNIFICENT BANG action.

I like KF2, but I've often seen it reviled on Holla Forums. Hopefully, an user can chime in on why it sucks.

They've added a bunch of new zeds: 2 clot variants, a stronger gorefast, a super clot that buffs surrounding zeds, and a new boss, Dr. Hans Volter. Whether you get the Patriarch or Volter is random, afaik.

They haven't added all the KF1 weapons so far, but there are new ones, as well as new perks.

The Demolition perk can now add booby traps to welded doors, making them explode when they break.M32 grenade launcher (revolver-like magazine?) is unavailable. Pipebombs as they were in KF1 are also unavailable. You get remote detonated bombs instead.

Berserker can parry attacks now. Some attacks can't be fully parried (mostly certain Fleshpound, Scrake, and boss attacks), but one of his talents adds further damage reduction to his parries. Parrying knocks back the parried enemy.

Support works as a walking ammo crate (minus the grenade) for everyone but the guy playing as Support once per round. Demolitions works the same way, but with only grenades.

New perks, iirc, are Swat, Gunslinger, and Survivalist. Swat uses SMGs, Gunslinger dual-wields pistols and revolvers (can't mix&match them when dual-wielding), and Survivalist is a jack-of-all-trades that can use everything but not as well as a dedicated class.

Levelling system was altered from 0-6 to 0-25, and you get a talent point every 5 levels. Talent points are tied to each tier, so your lv5 point lets you pick one of the two lv5 perks, and so forth. Individual levels aren't as big a difference maker as they were in KF1, and some of the talents award abilities that were available to the whole class in KF1. Berserker getting increased running speed is one of the lv5 talents.

Kill yourself you massive faggot.

I used a couple tildes as a line break to seperate the two replies from my own discrete comment; nothing wrong with that. Eat shit and die.

gayest thread on the site

I don't think I'm gay :^(

Thanks, I'll have to check out KF2 if it goes on sale. I did enjoy the first one quite a bit; I forgot how gratifying the exploding heads were.
Also, the DOSH.
I'm a fucking casual who didn't play BL1, but I think that at least the torgue shotties in BL2 have some impact.

Perfect Dark, NOLF2

WHAT THE FUCK HAPPENED TO THIS SITE?

But you mentioned it, user!

Love you~

Huh, so it's a 40K/cyperpunk-inspired source game? Looks pretty cool, I'll have to check this one out too. Thanks.

Oh, and it reminds me of deus ex. I heard the newest ones were questionable, but I could play the supposedly amazing originals. I had fun with HR, but I felt like it had little replayability.

Don't bother with Invisible.War, it's worse than H.R.
E.Y.E is a clusterfuck of 40k, System Shock 2, and Deus Ex with 32 player co-op story campaign. It's almost entirely kept alive by Holla Forums but getting a match is never hard.
It's the sort of game wherein you can hack yourself in order to make it easier to backstab a helicopter.

UT 2004 Invasion + Titan RPG. You get to level up and spend points to upgrade your char with a friend, and you can also level up your pets. Get plenty of maps. It's fun in COOP.

There's the timesplitter games, I don't know how well they emulate though.

shilling for shadow warrior 2. Its a pretty good game with some great levels, weapons, and movement.

If I wanted to play Far Cry again I'd just pirate blood dragon. This looks pretty similar to me. What's good about it, more specifically?

man that used to be my shit. played the demo version just a year ago and servers were still populated to a certain degree

The 4-player mode in Far Cry 3. It has its own story in 4 or 5 episodes. Lots of loadout customization, it's pretty fun.

Rainbow Six Raven Shield
SWAT 3
NOLF 2
Ghost Recon
Hidden & Dangerous 2
UT2004

I was gonna say E.Y.E. and SvenCoop are the only two things that I play online.

Holy shit, Hidden and Dangerous 2, people still play that online? No way, I don't believe you.