Game Roadblocks

=-ITT: Times you hit a roadblock in a game and couldn't get around it for weeks/months/years==

This was 4 months ago and I'm still stuck

Other urls found in this thread:

creatures
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

ITT: Times you hit a roadblock in Holla Forums and couldn't redtext for your thread

Fucking living failures.
Easiest boss my ass.

Get bored with a game and leave behind for a decade could be considered as a roadblock? I'm asking for a friend…

Fucking Blockhead Grande

OOT:
LBA2:

La Mulana Remake
>See that background girder on the Sky Tower? you can climb it
Dropped it because I need some idol from the shrine of the mother and spent days trying to find it.

Okami?

what the fuck

I have no earthly idea how I figured that out, because in hindsight, there's nothing that even hints this outside of the first Metroid, where you go through the apparent ceiling and floors of connecting rooms to get necessary shit. Yeah, you can go around, but you'll never see Samus in that bikini if you dawdle.

Metroid Prime
Final Fantasy
Any adventure game with permanently-missable pickups
>implying that makes it less of a chore

Don't know if these count as roadblocks.

Diddy Kong Racing, I thought the game was finished after the first Wizpig fight, I didn't know there was a Space World. I was a pretty dumb 10 year-old.
An older friend finished the rest of the game for me.
6-8 years later I went back and played the whole game from start to finish.

Doom 2, I played it when I was 4-5 years old, didn't get very far. 15 years later I finished Doom 1, 2, plutonia and loads of WADs.

These two fucking things took me hours a piece. They don't give you any hints. Grumble grumble never tells you to go across the world, burn a bush, buy meat, and then throw it on top of him. Maybe if he'd said something like "oh shit I'm hungry" but nope.
Similarly, the mirror doesn't tell you it's under a table you need to attack. Doesn't even tell you it's in that town. Just that it's "nearby".
It's the only time that either game was out-and-out bullshit.

To be fair, at the time, almost everybody knew about those because almost EVERY magazine published tips telling people this, and people at school would relay the information. How do you think the Konami code got around?

And it's almost always on a boat too.

I swear I searched every nook and cranny and setup and tried all my abilities in every way possible but now I'm going to figure it out or cry trying.

Funny you should use a Simpsons pic for that - my eternal roadblock is in Hit n' Run. There's that one mission in Apu's stage where you have to pick up garbage or something on a timer and I swear it's completely impossible.

Worse, the game lets you skip the mission after you failed enough times, so after about 50 tries I just gave up and got on with the game. Nothing else in the game came anything close to that level of difficulty. It still bothers me that I probably missed a cutscene by skipping that mission.

Come to think of it, of course it should be impossibly hard to play as an Indian on a mission to REDUCE the amount of shit in the streets…

After years of playing games like Oblivion and Skyrim I convinced myself I would never beat Dark Souls. I ended up putting it down for a year before coming back and beating it multiple times.The funny part about all of this is that when I was a kid I beat games that were harder than Dark Souls, but just by playing a few years of games that pretty much play themselves I lost my perspective.

Another one I just rememberd.

I never had any trouble navigating the water temple in OoT, but i got stuck at the very end because i was missing a key. Years later i came back to the game and realized there was a passage behind the chest with the long shot which took me to the key i was missing. After that i blew threw the rest of the dungeons in a few hours and got to ganon's castle. Now i just haven't beaten because i got bored.

When I think 'roadblock' this is what comes to mind, but it wasn't the game's fault at all.

When I was 12 years old I loved video game but I had this weird dire fear of losing in them. I don't know why, I hated to do anything that could mean the end of my character, I reacted to the monsters the way people react playing spooky games. I put off doing the first temple in Majora's Mask until I had done literally everything else I could because I was afraid of the boss. I went into the dungeon, got the bow and immediately played the song of time so I could help that QT girl at the ranch. I distinctly remember having the zora mask, tons of hearts and goron form, all kinds of fuckin' masks without ever having touched the bosses.

I don't know what did it but one day I sat down, locked the cabinet my 64 was in so I couldn't panic and shut it off, I slowed time and I cleared the fucking swamp temple. I wish I could remember what put the lead in my pencil that day. Maybe my balls dropped.

My roadblock on Hit n' Run was one of the last missions where you have to take the nuclear waste to the spaceship in a specific car.
I was always either a couple seconds away or blew up the car.

The biggest road block

Golden sun 2

typical

the bait is essentially otherwise useless, but I will give it to Zeldo 1 for the Lost Woods being a Roadblock. I returned the game to the Video Rental Store and told the guy at the counter that the game was defective on account of that bullshit. Zelda 2 was the first Nintendo game I owned. The only roadblock I had was that Cave of Trials before the final Dungeon and a odd glitch with my cart where whenever I got there my save game would become corrupted. Usually my save would be wiped out, but one time it accidentally restarted the game but with all Items and a Glitch out Max Level for all stats. With an overpowered character I was finally able to finish the game.

Never completed the game

I played for the first time when I was an adult about 10 years ago, so I never saw those, or I at least didn't remember it.

I hadn't even found that shop under the bush at the time. An old woman tells you how to beat the lost woods, so I figured that one out. There aren't any hints for grumble grumble. I didn't even know the meat was an item in the game at all before that point.

This

OP I don't want to make you feel an idiot but there isn't an earth crest in resident evil 1

I got stuck there too

and here

The thing that got me is that there's a sign that tells you the order to kill them, but I had no fucking idea what a "stalfos", "Keese", or a "Pol's Voice" were. I never read the manuals as a kid.

I had a harder time with the Eagle's Tower as a kid.

I did read them and I still somehow didn't pick up on that.

I'm talking about in the eighties, when you had Video Games & Computer Entertainment, Game Players, Nintendo Power, and a few other widely-circulated magazines that would run tips and guides for even the oldest games just to pad out the content during dry months.

Understandable if you were imprisoned in your bedroom and home schooled until you were kicked out on your 18th birthday or something.

I always stop giving a fuck about Skyrim after this

That's the part where you can effectively go off of the rails in Skyrim, and become a walking god pretty quickly. Well, on an unpatched installation, so basically on 360 or PS3 with no internet connection. Still, the game is dull as dishwater, and being an invincible god only slightly alleviates the tedium by replacing the big boredom with slightly less big boredom.

No, Hitler, that's the first dragon, anfter that fight I remeber how bland the rest of the game is and become the uninstall wizard, the most powerful wizard to ever exist in TES

After you kill the first dragon, you can fuck around with a bit more purpose. Something about souls or some shit, I forget, it's been forever since I dicked around in it trying to sequence break.

this

That shit was a huge pain in the ass and it's actually the very last level

Command and conquer 3, brotherhood of Nod final mission.

In short, you need to protect aliens who are trying to keep shield generators up. GDI want to destroy them.

But the ayys are also hostile to you, and have a miniscule base. You get one Tib field and those smug fucks refuse to leave you alone. I just can't build enough eco to field a large and powerful enough army to do it.

Also, the space they give you is kinda cramped, and the alien faction bites the curb every time without fail.

I didn't find the old woman. I was a child user. Why the double standards? I did however find the shop with the meat and my child brain was able to associate Grumble Grumble with the sound of a empty stomach. Also ID 35b738 is correct. Kids used to talk about Zelda all the time on the Playground, at Lunch and on the School Bus. I vividly remember the excitement as two dozen boys huddled around as someone explained how to Open the final Dungeon and Kill Ganon. Only a few kids where lucky enough to have Nintendo Power but the hints and clues where spread through Gossip.

I'm younger than that. I'm only 25. Nobody was gossiping about the first two Zeldas when I was a kid, including magazines, so I missed that. I had the internet, but I was determined to not use it.

When I was a kid i got stuck in 7th saga for the SNES

i beat the game years later when I was 14, but I remember how hard it was a 5/7 year old to beat it

In your defense, the US release of 7th Saga is fucking broken, and fucks you for leveling up.

Dome of the Slate you just have to use normal walking speed. Just takes a while to get through.

I am not disputing that point at all. I am just saying that's how it was in the early 90's late 80's. Apparently, that aspect of player interaction, communication and gossip outside of the game was apart of Shigeru Miyamoto's design Also likely to sell Nintendo Power. Secrets and hints got spread before GameFAQ existed. In fact, Hidetaka Miyazaki wanted to create a similar experience with Demon's Souls which is why its a bit cryptic and there are limited tools for communicating hints provided by the player base. On the other end of the same spectrum you have pretentious puzzles that you need an QR code reader to solve and if you don't have a QR reader you can choke on the developers dick.

Wow. I thought I had trouble playing text adventure games but the first RE? Holy shit m8 kys

Mentally retarded, all of you.

I was like 9 at the time

At the time I was shit at riddles but had memorized all the hints and available letters, so my mom suggested I ask my grandma for help (as my dad hated video games). Grandma suggested "pearls", which worked, and I was so excited when I beat the game some weeks later back when the rule in the house was one hour of game time each day, and none during the school year that I called her on the phone to tell her about it.

FUCK YOU
FUCK YOU WITH A SPIKED BAT

L.A Noire
While the early game has some actual working identifiers for someone lying, everything onwards from the car smuggle case I can't get the right answer so I dropped the game.

Dracula in Order of Ecclesia. In fact, I never beat him.

Same. i couldn't figure out 'throw that wrecking ball over the wall'

restarted the game like 3 times beforehand

Played Majora's Mask when I was 8. It took me ages just to figure out how to get out of the clock town. I think the stress of the time limit combined with it being necessary to do a whole lot of roundabout side quests that seem unrelated to the main story really fucked me up. Even after that there was plenty of shit I would have never figured out without a walkthrough.

Drac in OoE is easy as fuck, though, just use the glyph that makes you fast as shit or the one that lets you fly.

Using walkthroughs doesn't make you smart user.

Jumpin' Jack Flash on Sweatin'

Everything became a roadblock the moment these guys got introduced

Recently replaying Dark Souls and I have to say revisiting these places after playing through all the games has made them significantly easier, but DAMN

I got stuck almost exactly 5 fights away from the end of Final Fantasy 13 because I hadn't upgraded my stats and gear properly because it is the least intuitive upgrade system ever conceived. I just quit for a while and didn't pick it back up and finish it until I was entirely sure that my time would never, ever be worth anything.

I had a mission in Hit n' Run that was straight up bugged and I had to skip it or it would just crash to desktop.

But my actual roadblocks are these two fuckers.

Oh shit
They made an Open Creatures?

I miss the days when getting stuck in a game actually meant spending time lying in bed before you slept trying to think of a solution.

Now kids can just google everything and ruin the mystery.

i never felt i deserved a bonfire that much

creatures .wikia.com/wiki/Openc2e
Apparently it went into hiatus in 2010, unfortunately.

But there's some torrents around, and you can buy it on GoG if you don't want to bother getting it to run properly yourself.

this entire game
I actually got roadblocked when I had to find and enter 2 specific pots. I found the first one just fine, but the other one which hint was that it was close to a fish god or something I really couldn't remember where it was for weeks.

user, the helmet key you get way later in the game, and there is no Earth Crest in the game. The only crests are the Sun Crest (in the armour room on the second floor, blue double doors in the long hallway), the Moon Crest (which is found after beating Yawn), the Star Crest (which can be found after completing the From Cradle To Grave puzzle(the one with the pictures near the place where you use the crests), and the Wind Crest, which is found by putting the blue gem you get from breaking the statue on the second floor, into the Tiger Head statue near the area where you kill the plant with chemicals.

Valkyria Chronicles

Game is sort of an easy Tactical jrpg

I'm stuck in like chapter 7 when this super tank comes out of the middle of nowhere in the desert have no fucking clue how to defeat it and everyone keeps dying holy shit

As bad as FF13 is that last area is a whole new level of shit. Legitimately the worst final dungeon in any game I've ever played.

Ah that must be it. I have the sun, moon and star crests so I was thinking because the last one is on the "bottom" of the mechanism it must be earth.
Thanks dude. I actually made this thread in hopes someone would tell me, so I wouldn't 'cheat' by looking at a walkthrough. I know it seems odd, but for some reason I feel like being told is better than looking it up.

BoF3 lighthousee puzzle.
To be fair I was just a stupid kid and I couldn't understand English back then, it's kind of amazing that I even made it this far when I think about it. Also the desert of death was anothet big roadblock when I played again years later and with better understanding of English.

I had to record him on my cellphone because I quickly realized I would never be able to do it legit.

I played RE and I understand what you're saying but god damn if this doesn't look like the most autistic nonsense ever when you actually describe it like this.

I always spend a huge amount of time trying to kill Moritsune because he's a bitch that teleports behind you while you're trying to teleport behind him.

>get to the final final boss
dropped the game and shelved it ever since

that terminal in eye on mars
fuck that gey shit

The statue is the one on the floor directly above the place where you get the shield key by moving the clock. You push it down through a gap just in front of it, then when you go down and inspect the rubble, you'll find the blue gem

Climb aboard and look for a convenient place to insert grenades.

Oh and bring a sniper and shoot the people on the ridge from the tank for extra lulz.

13 months of off and on attempts.

This whole thing, it makes me feel like a retard

I missed the part early on where Merlow tells you to see him if you run into trouble. I tried EVERYTHING to get past the Koopa toads.

They said it was dangerous so logically if I beat the Dojo master then I would be "strong enough" to handle the danger and theyd let me pass, right?

its really not hard.

That's the final mission and it's a bit of a notorious difficulty spike. I finally got it done when I replayed the game just recently, if you also replay it make sure to get the unofficial mod loader/patch thing.
Also patch DoW 1 nigger, it's actually got a pretty good storyline (at least by RTS standards).

It was probably more of a mental block than anything. It's still pretty fucking hard though.

nah, just use your booster and don't rush.

No shit? Doesn't make it easy though. And you have to if you're doing the time trial.

haha, retard, the whole game is piss easy if you dump all your points in attack for mario and defence for luigi, if you do a bros attack you can literally kill bosses in 2 or 3 hits tops

The truth always reveals itself, eventually.

Post a video of you beating Doom on hardest difficulty without dying once faggot.

Just run in, grab the crest and fucking leave. What's the giant snake gonna do? Open the door?

Still haven't completed this or the final puzzle to this day, I just lost interest at this point.

Could just be the excuses of a scrub but I feel like this mission was way more unfair and generally inferior to any defense mission in SpaceChem, those missions were at least relevant to the theme of the planet and used your existing skills. First they give you a basic switch tutorial defense mission on the first (tutorial) planet, the planet that's all about fusion has a defense mission with some difficult fusion involved, the planet that's all about complex molecule structures has a defense mission that makes you make a really complex molecule. For Fire Control System he just throws you into an really difficult defense mission centered around a mechanic you've never had an opportunity to try out. It barely even has anything to do with the core mechanics, it's not about assembly at all. Just rubbed me the wrong way that I had almost no difficulty with the game up until this point and I'm certain I wouldn't have had any difficulty with the final puzzle after this, just to hit a roadblock at the final hour.

Still feel like I should go back and give it another go since I enjoyed the rest of the game so much, but even if I were to reinstall I think I'd go back and try to optimize old solutions or try user-submitted puzzles or something, not tackle this puzzle again.

I haven't beaten this shitty game in 8 years of playing.

As a kid I got road blocked by the ghost tower in pokemon red

Graveyard Nito in a SL1 playthrough of Dark Souls. He can't even be cheesed that easily with the RTSR and Power Within, the skeletons will just fuck you up. Also half the time i spent trying to beat that bastard was lost just dying to his dumbass scream attack as soon as i fell into the arena over and over. Fuck that.

5th floor in The Dark Spire, I finally gave in and looked at the FAQ

Also that one guard in Metal Gear for NES that requires the owl to get past, dafuq were they thinking?

The larva in Metroid Zero Mission. I wasn't the brightest child when it came to vidya.

I pissed away like 50 coins on Merlon repeatedly telling me to go east through the path with the koopa toads until I figured that out.

At least I found Crossbone Isle in that time

It's not like my reflexes were horrible or anything. I was A-ranking the MMZ series pretty easily at that point. I could probably do it today.

Holy ass you suck. I was having a little trouble at first because I used the first strike pants with Mario and the follow pants with Luigi for the whole game, which gave Cackletta like 4 attacks in a row with no opportunity to heal. But even I figured out my mistake in like 2 attempts.

I helped a friend of mine get past this guy because, I shit you not, they weren't capitalizing his name when typing it in.

Red Gigyas, Skies of Arcadia: Legends. Stuck for fucking weeks when I played it on the GameCube. Picked it up again in Dolphin recently; STILL can't fucking get past it because I've forgotten how to do it. Holy shit, how do you do it.

You idiot; you're supposed to wait until you can run the hell away, then beat up Belleza's flagship to force her to call off the gigas

It probably ended up taking like 10-15 attempts, which made it more of a roadblock than it had any right to be.

I can't even live for the first two fucking turns. Dodging only reduces damage, not erases it, and no matter when I shoot it before it fires its beam, it still won't ever miss.

The best trick is bringing a turret with you to her room and getting it to shoot her through you. Instantly dislodges all the spheres, and you can just drop all four of them in the fire simultaneously. No battle at all.

killing Death is probably the easiest quest out of the lot.

He may do one hit kills, but his attacks are slow, and you're usually not double teamed when he's around. The gore cyclops are fucking disgusting, and the 13 weapon shit thing is tedious.

Just go kill death, it's not that hard once you get to that point. Just go for smaller attacks and dodge.

I never actually realised you could pick anything other than the first option on my first playthrough

Recently went back and loaded my old save from over 10 years ago to find out I had dropped the game at 97ish% completion because of Apu's stages.

There's something wrong there, the gigas shouldn't be doing that much damage unless you're neither defending nor healing. Just have someone use green magic/repair kits between defending against the lasers.

If somehow that's too much to do successfully, you can also do a risky move to throw off it's aim by putting both main cannon and secondary cannon fire on the turn it uses the laser. If both hit then it'll whiff with the laser.

I tried playing through the game twice, I never got past it.

not so much couldn't get past this part as much as these fuckers just scared the ever living shit out of me as a kid

Prisoner gore cyclopes are vulnerable to poison and toppor. (everything except final bosses and ghosts are actually)
Get a rusted greatsword dragon forged and maybe the morbidity skill from the hunter class and they become completely manageable.
also remember you only have to kill two, not two at once so fight one at a time.

Dragon forging it will be easy since fel-dragons have high rate and you only need to score the last hit with the new gear on.
I dont think you can perma lock them down even with impact and 'Arc of the D' like you can in normal.

Come to think of it I exclusively use the rusted greatsword as warrior since it makes all the necrophagous cunts doable at low levels and easy on high.

I overlooked this hint too, but in hindsight, it's pretty fucking obvious.

that racing across the obstacles level on battletoads. fuck you op, this memory just came back to me like an uncle who molested your bunghole when you were a kid but suppressed the memory until now. i'm angry just thinking about it!

This little fucker right here

The person speaking is supposed to be this kid, but the he makes no indication of speaking, they never direct the text to him, the only real clue you have that it's the kid saying this is the way the dialogue is.
So I thought it was just the game itself telling you not to do this. ever.

Couldn't get it to work until winter break ended, and I asked a classmate about it.

2nd dungeon in links awaking. It took 8 yr old me a year to kill them in the right order by accident

He's called Dampé you basketball

me too

I didn't finish Metroid Prime for 5 years because I thought Omega Pirate was the final boss.

Zelda's habit of giving it's monsters cute names backfired hard here. If there were at least other hints in the dungeon telling you what a Keese, Stalfos and a pols voice were this would be nowhere near as difficult.

Manged to luck out on this one though cause the friend who introduced me into the series just gave me the answer cause he thought it was bullshit.

I've never bothered to look up how to get pass it and so user never beat a link to the past.
I spent hours getting drunk and pissing everywhere before I realized you had to piss them into the doorways.

How did they fucking expect a 4-year-old to get this!? At least Bow Wow was fun to take for walks….

My only enemy is FOV. Headaches are real!

Man, the early bosses in Lost Odyssey were literally just RNG. I thought I was doing something wrong until years later looking up speerun FAQs and stuff that just confirms it.

i want to love STALKER but i keep failing

How? Shotguns are destroyers of worlds in the games

when i last played i felt like i had to jam a shotgun directly into a guys eyes for it to OHK

Listen you will play to the point where you get good gear and get 1-3 shot kills and combat feels much more fluid. Beyond that you really need to work on learning how to aim in stalker as well as get headshots.

More like equip death's ring, and abuse nitesco and sword union. 5 hits max and he's at the point You can use dominus on him

i plan on giving it another go soon, maybe with mods because the wild weapon spreads drive me bonkers

It's not hard unless you keep running on foot like a retard. If you call a car from a nearby phone booth after you jump off the first building after after picking up the first set of trash, you can drive to the following trash pickups, which gives you around 20-30 seconds of leniency.

Ahh the memories… xhibit was not as bad as the other two though and I remember some late game enemies being tougher than any you posted.

Guilty.

its worth giving it a fair try.

Underrated post.

THAT MOTHERFUCKER

in reality the issues experienced on this boss are a direct result of not foraging for enough backup e tanks beforehand. The second you have enough tanks you can take all the hits you want but yeah, i remember this fucker literally killing the game for me on release. I spent 3 days nonstop trying to beat it over and over. One of my great accomplishments for videogames was killing that stupid spiderball bastard

What roadblocks?

I still never felt a similar sense of statisfaction from video games like I felt when I finally finished that goddamn quiz though.

user You can bypass him completely by just buying the correct items from the town's item shop

The haunted cathedral in Thief 1 gold on Expert
The percentage of loot you need to collect on Expert is absurd. You need to collect 2000 out of 2600 worth in loot. For reference he next level has 2800 worth in loot and you only need 1800.

Also this area in the original. Nothing in the game before this required you to carefully ration your ammo and resources.

yes, this section was very poorly designed.

Not really
Its designed pretty well. Its just that its a difficulty peak instead of a smooth curve.
I didn't have any trouble with it recently, basically its easy if you know what to do.

in the context of the level there is no build up to the section, it's a random idea the devs toss you in and it doesn't pay off as particularly gratifying. It doesn't effectively teach you anything you don't already know. It's bad design from the ground up.