PROOF WE ARE STILL LIVING IN THE MEDICAL DARK AGES

This is barbaric as fuck

This is proof we are still living in the medical dark ages. Electrocuting peoples brains? Might as well just sign the patient up for a frontal labotomy while your at it, then they wont even be able to feel sadness (or hapiness) afterwards.

Having a doctor attach electrodes to your brain and electrocuting you. I dont see how this can be considered 'treatment'. I have an explanation for the "50% of people which it is effective for for up to 12 months" are the people who dont want to have their brains electrocuted again.

I have a theory: Its simple positive-negative reinforcement. The patient becomes 'happier', because having their brain electrocuted seems worse. so comparitively, they are happy for up to 12 months until they forget the brain-electrocution experience.

HERES THE CURE FOR DEPRESSION
FROM SOMEONE FORMERLY DEPRESSED
EXERCISE MORE
PERIOD

But a doctor wont prescribe exercise, because theres no money to be made if you arent regularly seeing the doc to refill your medicinepoison

Holla Forums Drop your antidepressies if your on them and EXERCISE, CYCLE, RIOT, LOOT, whatever it takes to get active and stay active. Your doctors dont know shit. theyre only there because they could afford medical school, and you cant.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monty_Python's_The_Meaning_of_Life
youtube.com/watch?v=mGC3uJadXh0
huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/17/math-skills-electric-shock-brain_n_3291817.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Does it hurt?
Does it work?
What are the side affects?

Are you okay, comrade?

it sounds barbaric as fuck but it's a vastly different procedure than it was in the past

i saw a doc on it being used to treat (voluntarily) chronic depressives and it wasn't violent or anything

try to watch a vid of it being used on youtube that's not from before the year 1980

It's rarely used these days and the preferred treatment is drugs

And to the point OP yeah it's not ideal and should be reserved for the worst of the worst intractable cases, but you're just using an emotional current year argument. They don't use a square wave and give muscle relaxants etc. now. In the context of the other alterations to the brain pharmacology causes it's not so singular, and it's totally hypocritical to act like it is. The issues are mainly around long term memory loss.

shrooms has done a lot of good for my depression.

literally quit going to my therapist after i found out she was a massive liberal and overcharging me on copays.

weaning myself off seroquel which is a terrible, terrible fucking drug

i cant exercise due to back problems but i refuse to get on pain meds

im focusing on losing weight so that I can actually make progress in physical therapy.

being able to reach physical fitness is very meaningful for me and aligns with my leftist values.

this is what is keeping me going

good luck to all my coms in their struggle against mental illness!

Im ok, I was reading my uni book, aptly entitled "an invitation to health", by Dianne Hales.
It stated that ECT was the treatment used on individuals who dont respond to antidepressants.

I immediately checked the front page to see if the book was published in the 70's. Somehow it made it into publication in 2014.

kek.
underrated

but noo, it's not the theory that's wrong

my main point was that exercise will work better than medicine or ECT, but a doctor will not prescribe exercise because there is no money to be made.

The nazi would want to electrocute peoples brains until theyre happy

At least it's scientific ;^)

SAGE

looks like modern day leeches to me, user

People who get this treatment are basically in a state of catatonic depression, it's going to be gradually phased out in favor of transcranial magnetic stimulation anyway.

3:20
And his depression was cured

Send all depression sufferers to a retreat in order to seek psychological help. After a certain amount of time, say 5 months, if the individuals are still depressed, they will be given the opportunity to kill themselves. This will solve this luxury mental illness that only first-world citizens enjoy.

The fact you're still peddling the easymode unnuanced view on this, after having it repeatedly pointed out how simplistic this is… while somewhat good in that it gives an emotional impact to normies for just how fucked medical psychiatry and big pharma can be… simply shows you're a doctrinaire faggot and constitutionally incapable of adapting your worldview to elaborations as required by further learning. Aren't you tired of being routinely exposed as a charlatan who's level of pretension is entirely unearned? It's hilarious that you'd compare anyone who actually understands science critically to a credulous New Atheist style shill, just highlights how bankrupt and frivolous you really are. Your kind with their psychopathic morbid curiosity disguised as a genuine want to assist the most vulnerable and damaged people in society, need to be remorselessly excised before you can potentially cause any more damage, not least of which the neurotoxic effect your garbage posts exert.

Woah. Now this is some word soup garbage.

Are you 15 and just started using a thesaurus?

Maybe the depression which is experienced so much in certain countries isnt so much due to chemical imbalances as it is due to the environment around the individual.

In the US, a place with some of the most depresed people, maybe it has to do alot with society. In the US you are told to be skinny, muscular, RICH, your supposed to treat those lower than you like shit, your supposed to have your big truck, your fast car, your big home in a gated planned community, your hot wife, your rich husband. If they think you have a chemical imbalance, they give you more chemicals.
book-Smart people? nope. book-Smart people are the workers in the US, they work for the jocks who grew up from a rich family with a sports scholarship to a school you could never afford, even though your more intelligent than them.
The worker? you get paid dick compared to your boss. you will never be as good as him by american standards.

Need I go on?

Easy. Pop some pills to counter-balance the chemical imbalance my posts caused.

Hahaha you must have thought that post was awfully clever didn't you…

It sounds like your unhappy, fam. I heard this works well:

wew

It's like you can't even read for comprehension.

"In China, ECT is usually considered as a means to tackle Internet addiction, initiated by Dr. Yang Yongxin,[29] Dr. Yang introduced ECT to Hong Kong later, nowadays public hospitals in Hong Kong do also provide such therapies to teenagers diagnosed with internet addiction."

The uses for this technology are endless!

This is how Freudfags actually think. """People""" like this is why I came to realise academia is absolutely teeming with utterly worthless troglodytes, and this fact required a critical explanation.

Is Russell Brand Nazbol?

seroquel is absolute trash, fucking evil drug

we plural now

cheers!

What the fuck kind of sentence is that?

Multiple personality disorder is factitious. ;)

As to be expected.

When I was back in HS I was depressed for reasons stated here:

The doc tried antidepressies and seroquel. that seroquel shit turned me into a zombie. out-of-it as fuck.

Its the whole reason I stopped taking meds completely.

within a year afterwards I started exercising regularly, and it grew on me. 10 years later i still exercise. since I started exercising regularly my depression disappeared.

tbh, It would be quite hard for me to give up exercising now, im addicted to it so to speak, but i would much rather devote a few hours a week to exercising than taking meds.

I wish my doctor would have prescribed me a month at a gym before giving me chemicals.

You seemingly, due note-worthily, are incapable to adapt your simplistic neurons to comprehend – or shall we say, acquire – holistically his intended communiqué.

You're my analysand now.

Your pretentious caricaturization of that plebian grammar aficionado was quite demanding upon one's epistemological knowledge of symbolic communication via syntactical language

I shall leave behind this thread, albeit vehemently, since I have long forgotten the miseries these simpletons can cause on my cranial structure. Farewell, anonymous people of replies, for I have transcended this swamp and have flew away to undertake better undertakings.
tips fedora

Don't hate me cos you ain't me, fellas.

take thy leave of absence of this dialectic sham devoid verisimilitude, as it is unequivocally farce in consonance and without structure nor context

Is it I who pretends, or mayhap it's your neurons playing their mortal games uponth your limbic system?

nor merit, fellow enlightened fellow

implying that suicide is not extremely prevalent in rural China and India

u fugging liberal

Nay I Say! This undertaking of symantic prodigiousness is uniquely a contrivance of mine own academia!

indeed sans merit nor precedence this confabulation hath assumed

Refined man of prestige, I must inquire of thee the true authorship of this cinema which I hath witnessed forthwith

No, just until you stop being gay, leftyfags

It is I indeed who endows this knowledge upon you but be wary that such attainments come at the high price of mirth that you shall have as an effect following causation, surely.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monty_Python's_The_Meaning_of_Life

take your meds, goku

What edition of Ecrits is this from?

the one with the pictures
go check it out

Indeed, tis incredulous I had not perceived it to be as such heretofore. Postcomment I readily identify thy cinema to be surely the opus of Sir Monty Of Python.

This thread has caused me much mirth and elation. Indeed, in this moment, I am euphoric.

fine if it worked for you, but no, this is not a generally working prescription.
i don't take any medication either but fuck your "just do this or that and it'll be fixed.".

i'm just fucked and also sick and tired, i just want to accept the misery rather than trying to change and be worse off from disappointment in the aftermath for the hundredth time.

This is why, without looking any further, I have taken my example from the very story in which we find the dialectic of the game of "even or odd," from which we very recently gleaned something of importance. It is probably no accident that this story proved propitious for the continuation of a line of research which had already relied upon it.

As you know, I am referring to the tale Baudelaire translated into French as "La lettre volee." In it we must immediately distinguish between a drama and its narration as well as the conditions of that narration.

We quickly perceive, moreover, what makes these components necessary and realize that their composer could not have created them unintentionally.

For the narration effectively doubles the drama with a commentary with-out which no mise-en-scene would be possible. Let us say that the action would remain, strictly speaking, invisible to the audience — aside from the fact that the dialogue would be expressly and by dramatic necessity devoid of what-ever meaning it might have for a listener. In other words, nothing of the drama could appear, either in the framing of the images or the sampling of the sounds, without the oblique light shed, so to speak, on each scene by the narration from the point of view that one of the actors had while playing his role in it.

There are two such scenes, the first of which I shall immediately designate as the primal scene, and by no means inattentively, since the second may be considered its repetition in the sense of the latter term that I have been articulating in this very seminar.

The primal scene is thus performed, we are told, in the royal boudoir, such that we suspect that the "personage of most exalted station," also referred to as the "illustrious personage," who is alone there when she receives a letter, is the Queen. This sense is confirmed by the awkward situation she is put in "by the entrance of the other exalted personage," of whom we have already been told prior to this account that, were he to come to know of the letter in question, it would jeopardize for the lady nothing less than her "honor and peace." Any doubt that he is in fact the King is promptly dissipated in the course of the scene which begins with the entrance of Minister D — . For at that moment the Queen can do no better than to take advantage of the King's inattentiveness by leaving the letter on the table turned face down, "address uppermost." This does not, however, escape the Minister's lynx eye, nor does he fail to notice the Queen's distress and thus to fathom her secret. From then on everything proceeds like clockwork. After dealing with the business of the day with his customary speed and intelligence, the Minister draws from his pocket a letter similar in appearance to the one before his eyes and, after pretending to read it, places it next to the other. A bit more conversation to pull the wool over the royal eyes, whereupon he picks up the embarrassing letter without flinching and decamps, while the Queen, on whom none of his maneuver has been lost, remains unable to intervene for fear of attracting the attention of her royal spouse, who is standing at her elbow at that very moment.

way to be a party pooper, Lacanfag

HAHA, YOU READ!

There's emerging evidence that applied electricity can help depression. We just do it with powerful EM transmitters instead of giving you the car battery and hoping for the best.

It's still an emerging tech, but early trials show that as long as the patient gets regular treatments the effects are reliable.

Brains are batteries, you see. The more depressed you are the more often your brain needs to be recharged.

It's a trillion radios talking to eachother. Sometimes you've gotta kick their frequencies back into order. No different from shocking a heart to snap it out of arrest. It's all just nerves forgetting what they were supposed to say next.

Once I caught depression from my mother. What a terrible sickness. I spent all day laying in my bed, drinking hot coco. Then I accidentally dropped my fork into the electrical socket while the fork was incidentally still in my hand and the resulting electric shock cured my depression instantly.

I even made a youtube "Howto cure depression" video about it, but no matter how many times I reupload it, some dipshit keeps reporting it and it gets pulled.

Fucking jews.

in highschool i had to do a report on shrooms, apparantly they help with depression when other drugs can't.
the teacher who assigned this was based,
just told us to do research for ourselves

ended up in a looney bin cause of prozac,
only place i ever fit in

fuck, I can't tell if this is satire anymore or not

Do you have an issue with the brain being based on physical principles, or are you just memeposting with that cigar?

anti depressants , have a small chance of making things worse espescially if you are very young like i was at the time

also psych ward patients, are pretty chill and smart, (at least where i was)

I just want you to know that it is your body's fault that it reacted badly to those good medicines. Shame on your body. Bad body. Bad brain. You should ask for more and different drugs and some ECT on the side. That will cure your sick, sick body.

Jokes aside, I prefer them to the "outmates," if you catch my drift.

i don't blame the psyciatrist, i just thought "this ain't for me" and haven't used pill in years

you been looneybinned too?

Didn't have the pleasure. But don't you believe for a second that anybody can be considered "normal."

thanks for the pdf i'll get around to reading sometime
i don't

Leeches were modern once, you know.

t. Lacan

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, BOYS AND GIRLS, COME, COME CLOSER AND WITNESS THE NEWEST, MOST STATE OF THE ART PSYCHO-THERAPY, THE NAIL-TEARING-THERAPY (NTT FOR SHORT)!

IT JUST TAKES A FEW TIMES AND YOUR FRIENDS PSYCHOLOGICAL PROBLEMS WILL BE SOLVED!

REPRODUCIBLE IN 3 EASY STEPS!
1) TIE UP YOUR FRIEND TO A CHAIR.
2) PICK UP YOUR FAVORITE PLIERS AND TEAR OFF ONE OF HIS NAILS! OBSERVE THE REACTION!
3) REPEAT AS MANY TIMES UNTIL YOUR FRIEND SHOWS THE PREFERRED RESULTS!

GUARANTEED TO STOP INTERNET ADDICTION!
PULLS YOU OUT OF CATATONIA!
IT CAN TURN THE DULLEST PARTY INTO THE COOLEST PARTY!

AND THINK ABOUT ALL THE NAILS YOU CAN ECONOMIZE ON!

ORDER NOW!

IT'S MODERN!
IT'S SCIENTIFIC!

So what? Leeches are still modern medicine.

They didn't get phased out because they were gross, they were phased out because they were proven ineffective.

WOW, I WAS IN A DEEP DEEP DEPRESSION AND I WANTED TO KILL MYSELF. BUT THEN ONE OF MY FRIENDS SENT ME TO NTT AND AFTER THE SECOND TIME I JUST KNEW LIFE WAS WORTH HAVING.

NOT HAVING ANY MORE DEPRESSED THOUGHTS SINCE I LOST A GOOD CHUNK OF MY INDEX FINGER, NO SIR!

IT WORKS, OR YOUR MONEY BACK!

MY SON WAS AN INTERNET ADDICT. WE TRIED EVERYTHING: MEDS, BUYING HIM A DOG, OR GETTING HIM A PROSTITUTE. NOTHING SEEMED TO WORK. THEN WE TRIED NTT! AND IT WORKED FOR THE FIRST TIME!

MY TIMMY IS SURE AS HELL NOT GOING TO LOG ON ANY TIME SOON!

NAIL TEARING THERAPY!
IT'S SCIENCE!

A.k.a. how the statistical approach to psychology creates "scientific results," you gullible inhumane morons.

Meanwhile, Dr. Freud found a goldmine. He had realized that rich women were extremely easy to make fat stacks of cash off of. With no hard evidence and only people's feelings to run off of, it was easy to convince these women that they either had "problems" by leading them on with questions that guaranteed people would find problems in their lives, or that they were getting "better." All he had to do was keep them convinced that they had serious troubling issues and he'd keep making money!

It sure is fun when you don't have to actually prove fraudulent medicine, just prove that it could have been fraudulent to discard it.

Haha, nice comparison!

Way to dumb it down, idiot! You forget to mention the main difference: with ECT there are thousand dollars worth high-tech machines involved. Don't you see those diodes and the professionals in lab coats?

Fucking science-denying fundies, I swear!

Ah yes, ye olde "money grabbing intelligentsia" tale. It's a good tale. It's a useful tale.

Look at how much money he makes by selling his books!

Duuude, you are totally duped, like, he's taking your moneys for nothing!

Oh my god, communism denunked, LOL!

HAHA, ANARCHISTS REKT!

Watch the link, you dumb nigger. It's an actual scientist. You are supposed to like those, remember?

Or it doesn't count if the scientist is critical of the genocidal psych-industry?

I guess I won't link to shit debunking the DSM either, cuz it has already been established several threads ago that you have stakes in this topic and you try to justify your med taking.
NOPE! I HAVE A CONDITION! A DOCTOR TOLD ME. I NEED THIS MEDS.

It's like you don't understand systemic critique.

It's not like capital has this convoluted way of doing things or something.

Not everyone with a mental illness is a fucking sad sack.

Holy shit.

I'm not even arguing that the psychiatry industry isn't intentionally making money off of falsely selling drugs to people, because I'm perfectly aware that it does, and I don't use antidepressants for that precise reason. I'm pointing out that arguing that shit doesn't work because it has been used in fraudulent medicine or that it could have fraudulent origins is a completely bullshit way of doing it.

Should there be a total redo of psychiatry? Very probably. But that's not the claim. The claim is that psychiatry is unscientific which is a totally different claim from saying that it is wracked with fraud.

actually here in germany they do (unless you get a bad doctor but 3 out of 4 I've been to did) so do hospitals

just fuck my shit up tbh fam

Found your lack of a problem.

You see that circle? For 78% of the people we studied that area lit up in an MRI machine when they were shown pictures of attractive woman. This means that we know how love works.

Disprove this, faggot

Hi goons / freech / intl! Does Soros pay you directly or do higher ups convince you to be useful idiots?

In Russia they originaly used Noopept to cure depression. Anyone /stack/ here?

Idk where the others get the moneys, but tell mr. soros that me and my… uhm… charity… fund… are ready to receive his millions!
youtube.com/watch?v=mGC3uJadXh0

I don't think anyone has denied that there is a biological response to lust, this is completely different from the nature of lust and love, why certain cultures develop one way vs another.

Why not just be their friend?

I'll answer that.

If you subscribe to the image of depression as "being sad" , sure, go make some "sad people " happy, but you will find their sadness is mostly a socialite crutch. They are cows for the statisticians-promoted-to-therapists and antidepressant-peddlers to milk , as they switch them from miraculous therapy to miraculous pills.

People who actually need help often display their self loathing, desperation, frustration etc in ways the average human would find repulsive.
You don't come to dread every living second lightly.Its not a status effect, displayed atop the screen.

Actually dysfunctional people would fucking LOVE that program. A program that you can honestly hope for, which doesn't patronize you and honestly admits that you might want to kill yourself, instead of submitting you for further milkings.

I think this comment is representative of just how little we really understand about the brain. It's the kind of technobabble non-explanation you'd hear on Star Trek.

wew

this is probably the most retarded thread on Holla Forums right now, and there is a thread that entirely consists of a nazbol and anarchist throwing shade at each other like kindergarden kids

'Exercise more' is good advice but to present exercise as a cure-all is retarded. It might have cured your depression but it only palliated mine.

What do you think about hypnosis?

Ditto.
The momentary high of exhaustion provides a nice perspective widening reference that I could only get from far less healthy drugs before.The idea of self-improvement as an objective result of physical activity neatly bypasses whatever self-loathing-clouded judgements to be done about it.
I still swing between rabid self delusion of grandeur and comically absurd defeatism.Exercise and the status it brings has certainly brought stability, but it's by no means a cure.

I'll take exercise over mind numbing , mood-flattening drugs any day, though.

To be fair, mild electrical shocks can actually have positive effects on the mind. Although I'm not sure electroshock therapy per se' since I'm not a doctor.

Here's the source for what I'm talking about:
huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/17/math-skills-electric-shock-brain_n_3291817.html

Back on topic, I'd like to affirm, exercise has very substantial evidence backing up its antidepressant efficacy. It even increases brain mass, such as hippocampal volume, long associated with depressed mood. It may just be palliative but that means you do other things as well, you get a kick to pull yourself up the rest of the way. It's a bit of a catch 22 because depression can kill any motivation to do exercise but if you can there's zero reason not to.

Haha yeah dude you're like so totally different from me with different possible problems and solutions right?

My rejection of entire fields of study based upon my own singular experience was probably pretty stupid right?

Oh wait, no, you're an idiot for disagreeing with me. The medical field has corruption, therefore I can pick and choose what's valid and what's not.

Don't be so quick to bash it, ECT is actually quite effective. Besides, it's the last resort if the other treatments fail.

First you get psychotherapy
If that fails, you get SSRIs
If that fails, you get MOAIs
and if THAT fails, only THEN do you get ECT. Ok? Relax.

It's been known for quite awhile now we can change brain states and stimulate happiness in people with electric currents. You can activate certain parts of the brain to manipulate parts of the body as well, such as, you can run a current through a part of the brain responsible for the arm and the patient will raise their arm against their will. It's really quite fascinating.

t. psych student and future psychiatrist

Oh good another one. You don't usually first get psychotherapy what are you talking about. If that was the case I'd have far less of a problem with it.

Also, it's MAOI's. And you oversimplified the entire treatment algorithm for TRD. Wow it's almost like I know more about your 10 year degree discipline than you do and experts aren't the special snowflakes they always claim they are?

According to my friends who have seen psychs, literally the first thing they tell you to do is to exercise more.

My friends dad also hadde electroshock therapy and it helped him massively.

Stop talking about shit you know nothing about.

Are you sure you're seeing the right psychotherapist?
Please don't
Please tell me more oh wise one
Zzzzzzzzzzz…

Do you live under a rock? Half of male Americans have had part of their dick cut off by a doctor for cultural reasons.

where the fuck do you live?

Electroshock therapy is safe, effective, and unfairly maligned by the ignorant. For many severely depressed people electroshock therapy is the only thing that can help them.

Now that ain't healthy

Why dont doctors just tell you to go work out at the gym every day for a month and see if you feel better? This would be the most effective treatment out of any of these for depression

Ive been depressed, meds didnt do shit. an hour or so of vigorous exercise daily cured depression immediatly.

This.

sexual arousal or desire =/= love.

if anything, love is a trial in patience. show me the patience area of the brain, then maybe ill BEGIN to consider your claim

Fuckin amazing. Brilliant. And I dont mean that sarcastically. Americans are always stuck on "whats new must be better!"… a side affect of corporations shoving their latest and greatest down our throats to make a quick dime. But you cant patent or trademark exercise but Richard Simmons did

I really wish American doctors would follow suit instead of saying "You have a chemical imbalance. lets correct it with more chemicals"