Silent Hill

Could someone remind me why Silent Hill Downpour is so universally hated? Yeah none of the third-party entries of the series are as good as the main games, but I honestly like Downpour better that Homecoming and thought they were both at least decent. People act like it's worse than fucking ET on the atari.

Explain plox. Also Silent Hill thread.

Other urls found in this thread:

exhentai.org/g/798065/c91e023f03/
youtube.com/watch?v=DilZKqr1Xzo
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

No ps3 so never played it, but from what I understand it's from the western faggot who decided he understood silent hill better than its creators, so the muh psychoanalisis town annoyed the fuck out of everyone.

You have the exact same story as 2 because 2 is the only thing the third party companies know because they know people will buy it. Murphy is a cool guy, but he's trapped in a shitty game.
Go fucking hang yourself.

I hate faggots that refuse to fucking lurk.

I'll let other anons comment on the story, as they'll remember it better. But it's broken on a technical level. Random freezes that are actually loading screens with no indications of being loading screens are abundant.
That, and constantly accidentally throwing away your weapon into an unreachable place because you accidentally nudged the shoulder triggers.

this as well.
he hated the "cult" aspect of it.

There were like 3 regular enemies.
I liked Murphy and the endings.

It is SH2 minus the good stuff because what a twist! he didn't know stuff or some shit like that until the end, is pretty inconsistent, there is even a 1 hour video explaining how it fails mechanically as well as in the narrative.

Weapon durability.

b-b-b-but user! weapon durability is realistic!

Kill yourselves plox.

Maybe that's why I enjoyed it more than Homecoming. I was never a huge fan of the cult. Didn't hate it, but 2 was always my favorite because it didn't involve weird religious cults.

You mean this?

Yes, even if they are insufferable, they are on point.

Must be pretty embarrassing to announce your stupidity to everyone like this.

I don't think it's bad. My opinion is it's decent which I already stated. I was wondering what other people's reasoning for commonly bashing it was so I went to Holla Forums the VIDEO GAME board to ask other anons their personal opinions of why the game did or did not fail. If you can't grasp that then you are a fool.

The only thing I truly hated about Downpour, was the stability. Constant hitches and freezes, sometimes for upwards of 5 seconds, made the game a slog.

Honestly it just gets a lot of hate for not being innovative, and basically taking 2's story(like all American Silent Hills have been doing as of late), and making it worse. I enjoyed it for what it was, and thought it was infinitely better than Homecoming was. Shattered Memories also has its pluses.

Shitty on a technical level, boring enemy design (even compared to the arguably shittier Homecoming in my opinion), and a plot that not only copies 2, but also retcons itself. Doesn't help that other potentially interesting aspect (the cop's side of the story) was cut and made into a comic and bug patches never actually fixed the issues.

In all due honesty, the only good thing about Downpour was that you're someone else's final boss, THAT was interesting.

Forgot to add pic related

Every enemy is just a zombie with a smile.

It's kinda shit, honestly.
The proportions are too big.
Don't get me wrong, I like big titties and massive thighs, but it gets to a point where it gets to be a bit too much,

As others have said, the technical issues really hindered the experience. Then there were weird issues that felt like they came from inexperienced developers, like getting stuck on a fence when you are running beside it, or a can in the road because you ran into it.

Other than that the monster designs were pretty bad. I think out of the lot there was only the cave monster and maybe those mannequin things that were any good.

Had one of the best endings in the series though.

I can see what you mean, but I think because of that exaggeration it looks attractive to me. I don't know many artists who define muscles that way, with that kind of shading.

Well then you're the target audience for the game. Good for you I suppose.

Even 2 had cult stuff, people are just in denial.

Well, fuck. Completely forgot about this

yep, could just be another joke
or it could be that Silent Hill is actually a force of tough love that really cares.

Can't they make a Silent Hill where everything is just really good instead?

And you as a gamer has to live with the gut-wrenching feeling of how shit and empty your own life is.

I wanted to consider making a game or mod that took place in pre-Alessa's burning incident and how the cult was beginning to make things worse for everyone in town, when I think about it the game would need to be somewhat the detective genre or something.

I legitimately think Downpour is the best of the Western developed titles. It's still shit, but the exploration aspect was something that hadn't really done before in Silent Hill and the most fun I had was just exploring every nook and cranny of the town. It was pretty comfy.

What was there to explore?

>taking anything cancer incarnate aside from Tomm Hulett says at face value

There are only three silent games. You all are crazy to think otherwise.

There is still nothiing special in that huge town, only the ghost thingies that are boring.

And a Spin-off (SH4)

SH4 is quality, but since it plays and is structured so differently (not to mention started as an entirely different game) means it isn't a Silent Hill game even if it bears the name.

SH4 was kind of necessary though. SH3 closed out the original style leaving not much else to do with it. Everything after SH4 was just shit that descended further and further until the series just became a joke.

I'll also give Downpour this: even though it's not a great horror game, there was one moment that always stuck with me. When you're at the station and the DJ is telling you that the town is aware and can hear you, and then shit goes cuhrazy for a second, when you gain control again the DJ is gone, but not without a trail of blood. If you follow it, it leads to a broken mirror and just stops. Then, right as soon as you enter the otherworld, you can find a radio and the DJ is all distorted and monstrous sounding.

It's a game full of typical cliches and whatnot, but I actually really liked the subtlety of that particular scare.

Different strokes, then. I've always wanted a Silent Hill where I could freely explore shit.

Boring enemy design, convoluted story, unreal 3, having to pick up weapons + durability.

I don't think Downpour is a bad game but it's not very good. Murphy is a good protagonist but the story is stupid.

It definitely gets a lot right with the subtle symbolism the series is known for.

seeing as I was quite the shut in when I played it Henry and his story hit really close to home.

Rumors are that it wasn't originally an SH game, though it WAS inspired by SH from the very inception.

It was supposed to be a First Person horror game, apparently that's why Henry is so "bland" he was basically meant to be a self-insert for the player.

Bland yet somehow more interesting than characters in vidya today that try to focus on story.

What makes them insufferable? Just curious?

Then again THERE WAS A HOLE HERE IT'S GONE NOW

I could go on for ever but just watch this as it explains it. You are worse than the people who defend Resident Evil 6.

Words of wisdom.

Their gimmick for some people which is basically "I have evidence to point out that your opinion is wrong" kind of thing, I am not bothered but a lot of people get triggered by that.

You should see their BoM review.

The combat is still the same garbage as any other SH and when you get stuck on some of the obtusive as fuck puzzles, the enemies keep respawning. The maps are small and linear, and you have a boring ass story that doesnt keep you interested at all.

I gave up when i got to the police station, the game was literally putting me to sleep. Only Origins is worse.

moar

Plus they have this bizarre hard-on for the cult, where they will point at the cult and say "No. The cult is why x. This is why we can never have y, even if it would make for a more interesting plot element because Silent Hill is 100% about the cult and can't have anything else."

To be fair, is the root of the original four games, anything else could just go by a totally original name and concept.

Arguably, one of the reasons Silent Hill 2 is so universally liked even by people who have never played or actively disliked the other Silent Hill games is that it doesn't focus on the cult at all. It's a very accessible story.

Name me one single game where this retarded mechanic actually works and improves that game
you fucking can't

Why did people like pt? It was fucking boring am I missing something?

It doesn't focus on the cult THAT MUCH but it still has stuff, a lot of the in-game files deal with its backstory, the whole Rebirth ending deals with rituals and stuff, etc., as I said, just denial.

That's the joke, it only makes the game repetitive.

Because "muh Kojima is the savior of gaming" shit.

I wasn't very clear. What I meant was that you can look at everything that happens in the story and keep it completely separate from the cult. The only things relating to the cult are optional pieces of information that don't affect the major motions of the plot in any meaningful way, or things relating to the Rebirth ending which (I believe) is New Game Plus only.

PH is related to the cult in a certain way, the whole Town manifesting shit is possible as an aftermath of the Alessa incident among other things, what I think you mean is how the cult stuff is more subtle and running in the background, still present and a driving force, but not as the center like in the other games.

Those are words of the weak.

im not sure which is worse, homecoming or downpour. Homecoming was so unmemorable that I can only think of a few sections also fuck you for putting a slide puzzle in my SH and downpour was bland, had awful enemies (who thought the screamers were a great idea?) retarded story, and was buggy and laggy.

At least Downpour had sort-of neat locations to explore even though the town itself sucked for the most part. If the kikes at Konami hadn't cancelled it we might have had a shot at a well done open world SH but who knows

Development problems, Konami had to follow Tomm Hulett's advice of getting Silent Hill to another fucking Western developer to make a modern high-definition game, problem was they had little to no overall direction and looking at the level design means they fiddled more on making a fucking generic open-world ghost town rather than making each area memorable like the past games, and of course, Tomm Hulett's last great hurrah at making his fanfic plot point of "Full Circle" trouble in therapy town bullshit canon, the mad man fucking did it! he raped Silent Hill and jump ship to WayForward to probably rape Shantae.

Maybe that's why 1/2 Genie Hero feels quite lacking.

What in the actual fuck

Jesus fucking christ.

i did
i think versirus is kind of cute in a mopey kind of way and seems to want to be there over fungo who went full e celeb shill

Fuck you Pat.

I'm a defender of the silent hill movie because visually it's quite stunning with great make-up and monster FX, but it probably contributed to the shitification of the series because of morons trying to tie the games into it in the worst way (similar to how the film is a bastardised hybrid of the games).

But hearing you talk about designers openly copying the shittiest flavour of the year gore-horror crap fills me with dread and explains so much about the games because it shows that anyone dumb enough to copy those piece of shit movies is also dumb enough to make a game that bad.

Also, why has no one brought up that Fungo had on Guy Cihi and David Schaufele on a Let's Play SH2 stream and could not contain his autism to the extent that he was literally talking over and interrupting the VAs in his unending quest to fuck everything up. It was honestly one of the most embarrassing things I have ever seen in all my years in gaming, seeing Fungo turbo-sperging his speedrun of SH while Guy is trying to articulate subtleties of the game and characters.

That was awful, but luckily the superbestfriendcast had Cihi on and actually allowed him to talk.

But Pat and Woolie being above fungos shit tier isnt surprising.

I bet you let Tomm "I like Silent Hill more than you" Hulett fuck your mom too, huh?

Get out of here Tom.

You'll have to walk us through your logic here.

You have a grudge against them or their points, or are you just retarded?

It's not a bad game, it's just painfully mediocre. It wasn't insultingly bad as Homecoming, nor does hold a candle next to its predecessors. Nothing stands out, it doesn't try to push anything new and it doesn't take risks, it's just boring. Honestly, I actually forgot Downpour was a thing until now. At least Homecoming was so bad that it sticks to you.

You know that annoying saying "I could have gone my whole life without knowing that"… I always that that was for kill joys and pretentious fucks, yet here I am fully wishing I never knew that both of them were on a SH2 livestream together only to have some sperg ruin it for everyone. That's an absolute shame.

What's your dream Silent Hill game? Here's mine:

Overall, I think Silent Hill games have the best atmosphere and graphics I've ever seen in a video game, yet many other things are lacking.

My dream silent hill game is Silent Hill 3. But since we're on the subject, I watched enough SH videos yesterday that I dreamed about the game. It went largely the same way, except the endings were a bit more in depth, with Heather going crazy with Claudia's abuse in the worst one and turning into something akin to the magical girl outfit but demonic, which would then be selectable in NG+. Wouldn't really fit the game though.

Quick question, if Konami, being Konami, started milking the shit out of their franchise in ways similar to the Pachinko titles and that new Metal Gear Survive thing, would you play a fighting game with characters from (or inspired by) the Silent Hill cast of protagonists and enemies? Complete with the Grays and puppeteer shiba?

Twin Perfect, Fungo especially, are exactly what they say they are - perfectionists, and for some reason people treat the turbo autists as bastions of knowledge and reason within the community when they're incredibly narrow minded and obtuse. Anything that's not Silent Hill 1-3 is seen as garbage, refusing to believe anything other than those three titles can possibly be good. They have the most arrogant, obnoxious attitudes in regards to everything in the series.

Twin Perfect are like the kind of nerds that are so stuck up their own ass they think they know better than anyone in the community what's good in the series and what's not, and as you faggots have shown the community eats their rhetoric up.

So, yes, they are cancer and the fact that they still have fans is truly a dark spot on the franchise.

But thats right. Are you sure you just dont have a case of the pleb and you got your feelings hurt because they dont like what your lower standards enjoyed?

Shattered Memories was my favorite of the Western developed titles until I played Downpour. Shattered Memories has its problems too, the lack of combat, having to run from everything, and the linearity of the game are all flaws, but the story is genuinely fun and I thought the end was pretty great.

Purists like you deserve to be hung

I literally just started watching TP's shit yesterday so I don't have any investment in any e-celeb status or whatnot. But I have found nothing wrong with the criticism they levied on Downpour and BoM, aside maybe from their "tank controls aren't supposed to make you feel helpless because the STARS do it" argument.

I got the impression it was mostly tongue in cheek and in direct response to Tomm Hulett being exactly what you described but worse because he did actual, undeniable damage up his mile-high horse.

I used to watch Twin Perfect years ago. And don't get me wrong, I can't stand Hulett either. And of the two parties, Hulett is much worse, but Twin Perfect are not by any means gate keepers of the series. I also couldn't enjoy the SH2 playthrough with Guy Cihi because Fungo wouldn't shut the fuck up and stop spilling his spaghetti every five seconds.

Yeah see thats the kind of irrational kind of upset comment i mean. Team Silent was mostly gone by The Room. That was a bad experiment with some neat ideas but ultimately its a bad experiment. After that its uninspired rip offs about Toms therapist town that are completely devoid of artistic merit or original thought pandering on far more intelligently made media. That is the dictionary definition of pretentious garbage.
SH1-3 was a series of excellent games and after that the creators of those games were done. Everything after was Konami running a brand loyalty exercise selling bad games on the name on the box and thats it. No higher in quality than Resident Evil 6. They were hollow, soulless brand exercises created purely because konami wanted another box with silent hill on to sell. There was no need to expand the story beyond "cult tortures psychic girl in area thats basically a thinny from the works of steven king and it compounds her pain and her literal nightmares start to overlap reality. But thanks to the actions of a few people this is undone and normalcy is restored". Thats it, good story but story over.
If you just need a foggy town being a magic therapist you may as well read fan fiction.

The only reason i could see being upset by Twin Perfect and using terms like 'purist' is if you are one of those people like Tom that DO think SH should be a magic therapist purgatory on repeat forever and yes that makes you a pleb with low tier taste.

You know, I've always hated the story of Silent Hill. I think it's fucking shit, too straightforward and lore heavy, it ruins the otherwise surreal atmosphere. I don't care about the cults, I don't care about the characters, I don't care what happened to them, whatever, screw it. It's probably the weakest aspect in the whole series. The environmental storytelling should be improved, the characters shouldn't speak too much, and the cutscenes shouldn't have existed at all.

On a side note, the post rock soundtrack is also pretty bad. The intro and ending score should be something with more impact like vid related.

shit

the resident evil/biohazard series isn't stagnant due to it being "milked" as such but rather the typical way the Japanese video game industry is handled, one guy dictates how everything is out of respect as well as having too much regard for the fans of the games, it means that major changes are a rarity with only directors like kojima actually massively improving his games

aren't you a pile of hot opinions

Forgive me if I find people like you irritating. Refusing to see anything positive about anything beyond SH3 is something even nu/v/ should be above resorting to, but here we are, and disappointment abounds again.
I get it, you're mad at Tom Hulett. But Tom didn't make the entire game by himself. He's no auteur ala Kojima (who, likewise, ended up ruining his own franchise by the time Konami finally wisened up and removed him from their company), he's just some dickweed that happened to be a corporate ascended fanboy. No, if you want to point fingers point them at Konami for outsourcing to the devs.
Precisely, yet, they're not completely void of entertaining or fun things. Origins had a fun otherworld mechanic, Shattered Memories had a good story, Downpour had decent exploration, and Homecoming…uh…no, that game was a complete dumpster fire - a testament to the flaming pile of dogshit that was the Silent Hill movie. If you're looking for a game that's 'soulless,' it's Homecoming.
So by your logic one of the greatest tales in video game horror would never have come to be. Great, your reasoning would have robbed us of something truly memorable. Next you'll tell me "oh, but Silent Hill 2 caused the downfall of the series because future titles would take from or try to emulate it in some way." And yet Silent Hill 3 and Silent Hill 4 are legitimately fantastic entries in the series. Silent Hill 2 is not the series' RE4.
Oh, do forgive me patrician-sama, I just like to have variety in my horror series. I'm sorry if I don't want to stick to just the crazy grandma lady trying to turn the town red with marinara sauce.

Then you are probably more in line with the "fuck what the creators wanted, my head canon is what matters" crowd who thinks up retarded 'lore' in games like this or Dark Souls.

…where in any of my retort did you even remotely drag up that kind of thinking? Please, point it out to me so that I can fucking laugh at you.

Like i said pleb tier, but theres always gotta be an audience for mcdonalds when others like steak.

Did I ever once say that I didn't like Silent Hill 1 or the backdrop of the cult? Did I? No, you fucking retard. But if you want to insinuate, let me point the finger back at you. Since you seem to get off on just SH1's story, just how much of a fan of the series are you really, or did you just stop at SH1 and think "Yep, this is it, nothing else will ever be as good." Because, please, take your Mcshit and piss right the fuck out of here.

Silent Hill fanbase is toxic because they care too much about the anime story, and even worse, the characters. No offense my friends, but they're absolutely retarded.

I truly agree with you in thinking that silent hill needs to be more inclusive and diverse, I mean has there any been a woman lead? I thought not

Why other than brand loyalty shillvalry would you want something to keep going after the creators are done? To keep playing the same name or imitations of the idea for some strange sense of familiarity? because the creators kept making good games like Forbidden Siren. They told a story and it was done. Everything after was an inferior imitation of one of the first 3 games. Its not a case of "b-but it has some redeeming qualities" when they are straight up rip offs of earlier games you can always replay any time or try the new games made by the people that made the originals.

There is a stark two lines of thinking with silent hill. The idea that its done. The creators told a story and its finished. Or the Tom style thinking where "this is a canvas for any shit as long as it repeats silent hill 2 in some fashion" and that has been worse every single time.

If all those kinds of people gave a shit about was a "boo! haunted house!" spooky town there are lots of options across multiple forms of media. Dean Koontz 'Phantoms' The Mist by Frank Darabont the list is huge. The more childish "aw dude, wouldnt it be totally sick if-" player that just wants imagery without any thought or nuance behind it have plenty of options to sate that need. It doesnt in any way distract from the objective fact that the games from 4 onwards were a continued decline that took a completely separate idea of a magic ghost town that lures in murderous amnesiacs and ran it on repeat for years like a recurring monster from the Goosebumps books.

Its style with no substance. And i love 2 and even enjoyed shattered memories. But the rest ARE bad games made with no original thought or artistic merit behind the works. They are a brand exercise made to milk a name. Not because there was a burning desire to "explore the lore". Shit i actually know the writer of homecoming and it was shat out over a weekend because nobody cared, it was to ride the movie surge in interest.

There are times where a work of art must be treated in a more facist way. Because there is a clear truth to the work and you always get a profiteer that wants to twist it into their own thing for money and to ride a brand for their own praise. That is silent hill. it was a fantastic 3 part series that ended. Then it was milked by different people purely for profit with no care to the original work and no thought towards any new creative ideas. It is the videogame equivalent of fast food. Shat out quick and cheaply to sell enough units to make a buck. Thats it. To get upset and scream about "purists" just means you dont get it and you are part of that problem audience that just wants more with no level of standards for quality. The kind of rubes thought of when game sequels shift tone for 'wider market appeal' and that is always the death fo a series ending in "remember when this was good" sentiments at the end instead of simply 'it was a hell of a ride'.

If you like things like the otherworld shifting in origins that means you by definition dont like silent hill and like something different since the whole point of the otherworld was a horrific shift in tone and enviroment that could happen without warning and making it a mario warp pipe mechanic in your control is 100% antithetical to the creators ideas. Thats just one example but a stark one. You can enjoy them all you want but i have no idea why you would not expect to be called a pleb when thats the survival horror equivalent of going "i liked Warcraft Orcs and Humans, so time to get hyped for Legion right my duders! xD"

Broaden your horizons, there is a lot of high quality horror games out there. Just because the later SH cash ins arent indie slender em up trash does not mean they are anything but cash ins made by people that didnt care. You just need to look for them.

no need for the micro-aggressive attitude, one day we'll get that trans main character you always wanted in silent hill

listen, in this feel space you know you can talk about your feelings on the matter no matter what and we'll always love you for it but don't focus on the negative too much otherwise you'll end up as those racists woman haters you're always trying to remove from the video player plus industry

uh, yeah, whatever xir

did you just assume my pronouns?

no, but I'd love a Harry cameo in a different fighting game.
no Pyramid head though, that's a terrible meme.

Going back to a topic anyone who isn't a colony of amoeba bound together by pure retardation can agree with, Tomm Hulett. Even discounting the games he made, how the fuck can anyone explain his thought processes ? He seriously, officially claimed that nobody liked Silent Hill more than he did, and that he was the walking bible of the series. And in the same time, he has nothing but contempt for Silent Hill 1 and 3. How in the name of fuck can a mind process that kind of shit ? And don't answer that he's a faggot, that's a given. I'm genuinely interested in the psychological aspect of it. How can he reconcile treating two thirds of the actual series with utter scorn, yet claim nobody likes SH more than him ? It does not compute to a level that should make even an organic brain experience a fatal error.

i can only equate it to translators changing content. they are the fan that doesnt quite get it, has an ego and is oblivious enough to think they know more than the creators and try to reshape it to their headcanon thinking its 'correcting history'.

You don't get it, it's a way for him to simultaneously shove away the blame if the game would turn out bad and get all the merits if it got good reviews.

It's something similar to what happens with new vidya published by other development teams when they name them just, WOLFENSTEIN. It's meant to make it look like it's a sequel or prequel but since you don't add any number you can claim that it's also your original idea, plus it gets to completely erase the older one from searches and cement itself as THE Wolfenstein. It's no different to what the movie industry is doing with niggers in place of old white actors.

I don't have a face smug enough for this.

Do you forget that he also tried to actually rewrite Silent Hill 2 for HD?

He's not reconciling anything, numbnutts. He's lying. He doesn't care about the original SH games, he just said that shit for appearances.

Not an argument.

Except that doesn't match his communication for downpour in the least. He completely rejected silent hill's legacy and went all the way establishing himself as the authority. He is not rationally driven. He just wants to be seen as the authority.

From what I understand it was Silent Hill 3 HD. Which makes more sense given his particular delusion.

He wasn't able to rewrite anything though… right?

>wanting to rewrite the game that has best silent hill character vincent
What an impossibly gigantic faggot.

Fuck you. Everyone involved in that game should be launched into the sun.

So basically you don't want a Silent Hill game

REmake, RE0, RE: Code Veronica
Reading up on it, that sounds like all of the Western SH games
System Shock 2, Dead Space
Dementium: The Ward, Eternal Darkness
Curse: The Eye of Isis, Clock Tower
SH: Shattered Memories, The Song of Saya, Knock-knock

You really haven't bothered looking up any other "survival horror" games, have you?

He wasn't. It would have required animation changes so it was scrapped. But he did intend to rewrite shit. I'm not sure if it was SH2, 3 or both, but given that he hates the cult I'd bet more on a 3 rewrite.

Amen.

Vincent is pretty great.
From his expressions to his voice intonations, sarcastic laugh and manipulative behaviour.
Much of that magic was lost in the awful re-voicing of the HD remake.

exhentai.org/g/798065/c91e023f03/

Reminder that the director of the second movie said that Silent Hill 3 is badly written and that he will do better in his version.

Really now.
I have yet to watch that movie. Is it at least the hilarious kind of bad, or the DA:I/Third birthday anti-fun brand of bad ?

Have you seen the first movie? In my opinion the visuals the first one were great. The town, the monsters and the transition to the other world were amazing. As far as I can tell, the cast was ok for most characters. The only bad choices were because of the script, which is the worst part.

Now imagine the visuals were as bad as the script and everything is much much worse in general. "Revalaitons" would have been a better title for that shit.

The RE mansion isn't very memorable, try playing AiTD first. Also, the atmosphere is nowhere close to SH.

I didn't like them.

Well those are different games with different theme and atmosphere.

Why are you offering me different games instead of one game that includes all these things?? You're stupid.

I was too frustrated to have fun watching it but if you know what you are going into and include some alcohol, you might have agood time.

Shit. I forgot how bad this movie was. Every clip I find is a surpressed memory.

youtube.com/watch?v=DilZKqr1Xzo

Yeah, I did like the first movie. But I knew Gans' filmography was stylish but stupid substance wise beforehand, so I wasn't at all surprised. I just made sure to tell the pal I saw it with how it jumbled the games together with little concern for coherence, and that was kind of it.
For revelations, I know it's not Gans, so I'm fully expecting some cheap flick in which Heather is annoying as shit, but if it does ridiculous shit with the story I might have fun at least.

and I hate live actors with good CG.

Why don't you actually play games and find out for yourself? A few of the titles I listed actually fit a few of the criteria that you're asking for.

I think it works quite well in Far Cry 2, it gives you reason to buy weapons at stores and avoid picking any shit you find in the ground.

The interesting thing about shattered memories is that the gameplay is so thoroughly fucked from the outset it knocked me right out of expecting Silent Hill and I found myself enjoying what was left, which was an elaborate walking simulator with nice atmosphere. I especially liked the wiimote-controlled flashlight, it was quite immersive looking around and playing with shadows.
Like, there really isn't any way to pretend it's anything like Silent Hill, but it's a solid normal world base that had great potential to have a proper otherworld and combat to it. I was genuinely intrigued by the prospect of getting a SH3 treatment at two conditions : Better direction, and closer gameplay and horror elements to actual silent hill. The psychology gimmick can stay, just make it about the reaction to the actual supernatural horrors rather than the whole crux of the story.

It explains why they went through the whole redub garbage and didn't just rip the PC ports. Why bother keeping the original intact when you're going to remake it? I'm sure Tom was halfway through that fantasy before Konami stepped in and stopped it.

It didn't need to be Silent Hill and it especially didn't need to be a shitty reboot of the original.

I'm certainly not saying SM needed to exist in any capacity, but if we're going to ride the IP no matter what, I'd rather have experimental fangames of the originals than serious attempts at making legit SH games, since that's out of the question. Now, if anyone making SM ever thought they were improving on the original they can get fucked, but I see the game itself as more of a total conversion mod affair.

Good idea! I wonder how a SH-based Diablo clone would work.

There is just something about Silent Hill 1 that no other game recreates, I don't know what, but whenever I play another Silent Hill game like 2 or 3, It does not seem to capture the same magic of the first one, perhaps because it borrowed way more from western horror than any other Silent Hill game?

it has more of that twin peaks feel than any of the others

Er, no. It's because they didn't have the rights to use the original voices without the actors signing off on it. Plus Tom wanted to leave his 'mark' on SH. He didn't just want the voices redone he wanted the facial animations redone as well.

Is scrolling through the thread that hard?

How did you make that connection?

>Was going to be a full 3D survival horror title just to be different (Because everyone else was busy copying RE's pre-rendered backdrops)
The first game was their "lightning in a bottle". All Silent Hill 2 ever seemed to do was give people a reason to complain about how much of a cynic they are and constantly walk up to people repeating "You just don't understand." when the entire story of the game is just about a guy torturing himself over killling his wife to put her out of her misery (To put it simply), and everyone he meets who is doing the exact same thing.

Yes

That does explain some, the thing about Silent Hill 1 is that for me it's the least scary of all the games, but it's the more charming, I guess because this an honest attempt at a unique horror game.

SH1 is to this day the most horrifying game i have ever played.
The hospital part hit too close to home for me.

Actually no?

Homecoming was much worse, but Downpour wasn't good. It tried some stuff, but overall it wasn't well made.

I actually think Shattered Memories was shit too, never been so disappointed in a game I think.

Shattered Memories was terrible.
The retard children on Holla Forums that defend it do so because they think the horrendous dialogue and tryhard story is "well written" and "deep" because they've never seen a plot twist before.

I've never seen anyone defend shattered memories from that angle. You're sure you're not full of shit?

The plot is precisely why they defend it.