Why would one make an exploration-based game without a grappling hook?

Why would one make an exploration-based game without a grappling hook?

Please explain this to me, Holla Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

a.uguu.se/W7VGQMzziEtN_7.bsp
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

They don't realistically work also there's a climbing mechanic you need to upgrade.

4chan threads do get reported though.

Why would you climb mountains when you can just shoot somebody in the face with it?

Have you ever been so pissed off you shot someone in the face with a mountain?

Speaking of shitty things in exploration games. None of the fallout games have ladders you can climb that aren't loading screens.

Even today they still haven't figured it out. Perhaps it's because they're still using the MW engine.

it is an engine limitation, I hope none of you are actually playing these games. Frankly, exploration games aren't real games. Leave the grappling hooks to good games like bionic commando and umihara kawase.

Yo

You know it's bait and yet you still bite.

It's not a limitation, it's that they don't know how to code them without breaking their shitty AI code, so they just implement thin, tall ramps and texture them as ladders.

to quote the a dev

I'd love to see how the ladders break the AI considering they have enough trouble navigating the terrain as it is.

Jesus Christ. I knew Bethesda was staffed by a bunch of incompetent retards but I didn't know it was this bad.

From what I've heard over the years, it's a running joke that they can't code ladders. They probably can do it now, as their pathing behaviour is better than Oblivion by a mile, so maybe they just don't so there's some of that meta-humour that reddit loves so much.
Apparently there is a single ladder in FO4 that you can use, from a quick search.

Divinity 2 has ladders. It's a gamebryo game.

I'd really like to see this. As long as I can remember, there haven't been any ladders in beth games that aren't just area-transition "doors".

And even if it gave the AI trouble, you could implement them in places where that wouldn't be a concern and work them into AI pathing later.

Fixed, Pic Related.

Anything the AI can't path through is a concern because some players are going to be dragging around retarded AI followers everywhere. Sure, they can do stuff like teleport next to you if they can't figure out how to path to where you are, but ideally they wouldn't have to do that.

Followers in Fallout 4 teleport when they're locked out of elevators anyway, so I doubt it would be any weirder to have them teleport to you when you climb a ladder and break their distance tether.

Yea, this goy in particular…

That aint a Bethesda game

Spider man games.

That's the point you dip.

Dying Light would have been better without the grappling hook. It starts off being all about parkour, and by the end you're fucking Spiderman and can completely disregard climbing routes.

I guess it's not really an exploration game, though, but movement was still a large portion of it.

How can you not program a ladder?
All you have to do is have an object that only allows players to move in the Z axis.
This is extremely easy.

couldn't find the pic, but it is a ramp, not a vertical ladder.

wrong
Bethesda can't animate, and they do not want to humiliate themselves with any climbing animations their shitty animators would push out.

bullshit, when other developers can use the same shit (Gamebryo) and to more with that, its what shows Bethesda being either lazy or incompetent as fuck

Engine limitation my fucking ass. Quake has ladders for fucks sake. They're just lazy.

quake 1 didn't have ladders, you never played quake 1.

It's implementable with the base code, and a shitload of custom SP maps/deathmatch maps had them, You never played Quake 1.

find me a q1sp map with ladders in it, there are none you dumb fuck.

Quake also had a grappling hook mod

+hook is the best thing to happen to quake tbh

There are none in the base game you stupid nigger (although they are doable with base code.) Learn to read.

waiting for you to show me the ladders in the game you never played, fuck off or kill yourself until then you stupid faggot

Alright smartass.

Proof negated. Try again.

sick fucking q1sp map bro, but hey, it's a fucking custom map you dumb nigger

So you're an autistic nigger who wants to ignore the fucking game I'm playing because I'm running a program?

No shit. You faggots can't read. It's a custom map with no custom gamecode, and the entire point I'm trying to make that mods or not the engine supports them.

I wonder if I'll ever get to play a game with rope physics as nice as Umihara Kawase in a 3D world

Nexuiz/Xonotic capitalizes on this really well. Fun shit.

Neverever.

might as well go no clip

And here's the BSP if you don't believe me. You will find no custom QuakeC in here. Just one map file.

a.uguu.se/W7VGQMzziEtN_7.bsp

Unless the game were extremely vertical or some floating islands shit I'm pretty sure it would negate doing much of anything else.

What is this thread even about at this point

What did he mean by this?

Here's why.

Literally any open world game before just cause 2 memed the grappling hook into masses?
I can't believe that was 7 years ago