Anyone else beat this game? What a fucking wild ride, but I'm still confused over the ending...

Anyone else beat this game? What a fucking wild ride, but I'm still confused over the ending. I had some questions if anyone else is more experienced with the game.

Does anyone know what the meaning of the medallion the faceless gave you was?
It's also really shitty that the game ended before you can join up with Six, and kill Tanner

Underrail more like Underfail haha

the medallion is supposed to be a symbol of friendship or something

There's a expansion of sorts coming soon™

I don't even know what fucking class to go with. I don't mind experimenting, but I want to play as the easiest class first and work my way up to more difficult/thoughtful ones.

Go with a sniper sneaker, then get a 12mm and some telekinetics. For extra broken stockpile on mines. completely ignore crafting up until ~50%

I used a psionic build: I had 10 constitution, 10 will, 8 int, and 3 in everything else. I just dumped my points in the psionic abilities each level up, and split 10 points each level between persuasion and intimidation. I had around 40 lock pick, and like 90 in hacking, and I split points between the different crafting abilities (biology and chemistry getting the least amount of points). Also, if you plan on going a psionic, don't take psychosis.

But why? A lucky electrokinesis or TKP crit will take out most enemies for turns on end. Especially since it's really brutal on synthetics or stripping shields. And I imagine it only improves your odds of flooring them completely when you stack additional PSY +crit from gear even if the additional point pool is nice to have.

it affects non-damage based spells, and its 20% critical damage, not chance. You can take a talent later on called Neurology which is even stronger than psychosis and doesn't have the drawback.

my bad it is chance, but the drawback is still significant. Especially since it prevents you from taking premeditation which is one of the best psionic talents next to locus of control.

No, it's 15% crit chance for 20% more cost. And yeah, it sucks that it increases the cost of your panic button forcewalls but that's what boosters are for.

It doesn't. It locks out Tranquility and Meditation.

true, but I prefer taking last stand, and getting really strong armor with tranquility for that 5 less AP cost on spells at full health. I guess it's a matter of sustained damage vs RNG burst.

I'm sorry?
And I've got flashbangs, all kinds of consumables, nets, forcefields, small armor penalty and no shame in cutting around corners or FOV to ensure they don't even get a chance to touch me. Optionally also second or third lines of mines if I know I can't split up a large group. and let me tell you, those things are a pain to recover afterwards even with the belt

I mean, sure, going rambo with an AR seems fun but so is being death incarnate. Especially since you can pull most of that build off from really, really early.

And obviously once you get the Black Arrow and a comparable sidearm things go even smoother.

what are your stat and skill allocations, since you aren't a pure psionic?

Fuck me if I remember the details but it was surprisingly balanced with a focus on DEX and STR, CON and WIL being almost dumps. Took Guns and TK to the cap each level to up until 80%, had Subterfuge skills around 10-15 points below the level cap, and Mercantile and Dodge around 15-25 below the level cap. Throwing and intimidation were 25ish below the level cap.

Crafting was a thing I never really got around to even though I stacked too high enough initial INT. Took just enough to craft repair kits and didn't had much use from that, either.

Thinking back I'm sorry I never got PER high enough to take any true ambush/sniper perks but with a smart weapon aimed and knee shots did work anyway. Same goes for some of the specialized SMG, diplomacy skills, crossbows and exotic pistols.

Evasion, sorry. I don't think I had a point in (melee) dodge.

you mean you kept them at 3? So you went psionic for that electrokinesis talent which gives you the 5% crit on any source, and that's it?

Bit higher than 3, like 4-5ish CON and 7ish WIL at the end. STR was 6 for the DRM. Psy was Psychosis and Psychostatic and I think I took Force User near the very end I never bothered with Premeditation since it seems like an opener and I much preferred aimed and fallback.

Like I said, fairly balanced attributes. lackluster AGI and PER were offset by high skill scores and gear And yes, I know I could've optimized my build for pistols and that sweet AP reduction but with (ab)using smart weapons and bleeding them with knee or using the Opportunist and falling back there was no need.

And before I forget about this thread: going for CON anything less than 5 on hard is probably a really bad idea. Even with all the bear traps, mines, shields, armor catered to a specific encounter or all the other equalizers redpilled characters suffer around -20% max HP.

So is this game any fun?

It's fun if you like turn based combat like in two first Fallout games. I wish it had a map, it's easy to get lost in that game. Quests and the world exposition in general are not especially impressive, but also not unbearably bad. It makes no sense that you can identify somebody you never saw before as an enemy without them giving any hint first with their reactions to your presence. That makes the game too easy if you play a sneaky character that is also proficient in traps.

Can confirm. But I don't suppose anyone's got a differently focused build they'd like to share?

Explain, I always avoided traps and stealth in all my playthrough's.

I played a Sniper, high sneak high perception and traps. It's not easy per se, the thing is it lets you choose when to start an engagement and prepare the terrain. If the enemy gets a lucky break you're dead as much as any other build, but it does minimize the chances that will happen. It also allows you to fuck over snipers and crossbowman (fuck those nets) first, the biggest purveyors of the aforementioned breaks.
I also one-shotted the last boss. That was funny.

how the hell did you one shot it? How can you possibly do 2k damage in one hit?

wrong image op :^)

I take it you had one hell of a critical power multiplier with your smart crafted SR?

It's been some time, but there's a skill who increases your first shot out of stealth to ridiculous proportions, plus the bonus you get from per, plus the armor piercing rounds on the 12.7mm rifle, plus another skill that increases your damage even further if the target is lit. There were some other factors but I don't remember what they were.

Christ, you wouldn't happen to remember what weapon you used?

12.7 mm sniper rifle with the crit enhancing mods. It was technically a crit, since I think Snipe counts as one.

As far as I know those two are as exclusive as they come. And you're sure it didn't have a Smart Module? Christ. Can you remember the frame and whether it was crafted or bought?

mein gott, now I really want to make a sniper/crossbow man

Yeah I really don't remember if they synergize, but as you pointed out, probably not. I remember it being the biggest high-damage one, very high quality crafted frame (around 120 quality) plus the module that increases special attack damage, not crit. My bad there. Plus a shitton of high quality stealth-based crafted gear as well.

It's pretty fun. The easiest build that I remember was the commando/smg one. Just burst everything until there's nothing left.

Crossbow works pretty well with an asshole trapper build.

Is this game good? Is it a turn based rpg? I heard it's made by serbs so I wanna support them, but I still want to be sure if it's a good game.

I started playing when it came out, but never made it past the first missions in the tunnels. The normal rat enemies hit so fucking hard and there's not enough health items around yet, haven't played a Fallout-type after Fallouts so I'm not sure what's going on. Got sick of having to run back to the med bay and back to the tunnels.

M E M E G A M E
E
M
E
''
G
A
Oh wait, this is UnderRail. My mistake. Carry on.

No kidding. That gun had to have top damage in the range of 300-400s. For comparison black arrow needs a 1235% to hit that hard.

You either made a shit character or you're shit. if this was beta I could understand but you're drowning in stims and bandages in 1.0+ Rats get completely fucked with flares and molotovs, their armor can't handle 5mil peashooters and more often than not you can shoot them from behind a fence or have them line up in a doorframe.

wasn't it sort in development still?

It's out since 2015

Also are assault rifles or SMGs worth dabbling in? As in don't specialize in burst or shit?

Post your builds.

Don't have that save anymore but you can have a Strelok.

Did you just throw grenades at lockers and mines or something?

Yes, but given my 10 throwing it's a 50/50 as to whether I hit the mine or throw the grenade at my feet like a retard.

I don't know what to say. I do have this unbearable urge to bully you into getting gud.

The build's pretty good for everything that's not more than 1 sentry bot.

Tell you what, try changing snipers to ARs (STR 5 is still fine), gun nut to neurology, doctor to whatever and TK to Metathermics. Recklessness to something more useful as well, since I assume you're mostly relying on aimed shot sniper and that's already a guaranteed crit.

As an added bonus you get free grenades for your demining shenanigans and the support skills that actually synergize as opposed to having stealth panic button with no stealth skill or fear with no fear exploiting

Also if you're really into SRs an Anatomically-Aware 12.7 Corsair is probably more fun since it synergizes with critical power.

Thought control gives you the best psi ability in the game, Locus of Control, which grants an area of effect psi attack that always hits. Combine that with premeditation for a free psy action with -50% psi cost, neural overclocking for +30% crit damage, Cerebral Trauma with +20% base damage on Neural Overload, and the +64% crit from the thought amplifier and you can kill nearly every group of non-robot enemies in the game in a single use of Neural Overload. And it goes without mentioning that having an effective 287 skill in thought control is quite formidible if anything survives the initial attack.

The cave hopper boots are for the +1 agility, since the build works best with a first strike. I keep an extra pair of meal boots for walking on caltrops.

Recklessness is also a good perk if you plan on never getting hit, and its downsides are completely negated by the groin protector, which is in a slot I otherwise have no use for. Paranoia is to supplement my measly 6 perception, to spot traps I need to avoid or blow up, and to detect those fucking annoying crawlers before they wreck me and my 4 constitution. Throwing, lockpicking, and traps are largely useless because of my 3 dexterity.

When enemies aren't bunched into groups, I pick one off with the sniper rifle and retreat to a chokepoint where I can more effectively use the Locus of Control's AoE to kill them.

I'll freely admit that I don't really understand the game's armor system, so I use the CAU armor to fit the character image I have and to march right through bio and acid without a scratch.

Writing this on my shit phone, so excuse me if the formatting is weird.

Every psi attack always hits unless they make a resolve save. Always. Thermics has several spells that are inherently AoE, notably a fireball that behaves like a scalable molotov and ignites/panics with a perk and the ice ball that's something amazing. My point is that I think your build is better suited to impeding them with slow while having the option to freeze them instead of depending on TK, which while great has better synergy with sneak. There's also the extra value in that you're not bullied by synthetics.

Recklessness is a shit trap perk. It's 7% for only weapons (so no psi, traps, grenades) and 3% for everything they throw at you. Comparatively ambush gives you 32% (!) with the condition that you need 40 stealth, for you to mind your positioning and occasionally throw a flare. Or say use to their flaming, screaming comrades as a light source.

Armor has three values: hard damage/threshold (the number), damage resistance (the percentage) and encumbrance. When hit, it picks the more effective of the two but it always adds the penalty malus to your dodge, evasion, stealth skills and movement. So if you're not wearing light armor - you're wearing heavy armor.

And if you wanted first strike, some more dexterity, gunslinger (instead of paranoia) and stealth would've made your life much easier.

Also groin guard? You really think that 3% crit reduction is as good as a 10% reduction on all mechanical damage taken from the lifting belt? As in every bullet, stab, icicle, bite, punch or shrapnel that flies your way.

wew

Gonna try this game for first time. It does exist a shit/not worthy stat, perks or skills like in Fallout games? i.e: Charisma, Outdoorsman and Gambling in FO1(fuck of pacifistfags, you don't even need 10 CHA for a speedrun) and most of charisma/endurance related perks in FO2

guns > psi >>> melee >>>>>> crafting >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> diplomacy

ur gonna have a bread time

FUCK, I forgot to get the chemical armor after helping those psychos in the protectorate.

not him, but I just used my fireball to blow up mines, and I ate traps since I had 10 constitution.

psionic is fun as shit though. Especially if you make a tanky one.

FUCKING TUMBLRTALE GET OFF MY BOARD

Seems wasteful.

I used an unarmed+TK build that was all about moving insanely fast and hitting like 60 times per turn (counting each instance of damage, not each attack). Spiked, Pneumatic fist with telekinetic proxy and force emission, and up to 12 attacks per turn. I punched out not-Cthulhu in a single round.

Crafting is HUGE for any build, but it's a support skill, so you still need guns/psi/melee to make it work.

Social skills are terrible. There really aren't very many interactions that you would actually want to use them for. It's rare they even come up, and there are hardly any quests/extras that require them.

I'm pretty sure it's an additive 3%, so if the enemy only has say 5% crit chance to start with, that's more than half reduction. More importantly, depending on your build Crits might be the ONLY attacks you consider threatening to begin with.

How do you people do stealth? The fact that I can't turn around the character without moving from the same spot makes it clunky.

Social skills like matter if you want to get more lore, 8 int is good enough to get all the advanced conversations. Persuasion is kinda usefull in some cases, like convicing the faceless to let Buzzer live and Intimidation is just a worse Persuasion, the only thing good about it is "Yell" that works a debuff.

Mercantile is pretty useless, i always ended up with like 11 stacks of stygian coins no matter what.

Try using combat mode for fast cover, the "eye" gets more red a lot faster in this mode but stealth is pretty chessy. You can use corners and pillars to cheese out enemies. Some enemies require more stealth points or they'll just see you no matter what, the game doesn't tell you what kind of enemies aren't affected by your stealth skill, so be ready to savescum it. Other enemies can't be fooled by stealth like turretsl, since they are "truesighted" (White eye).

You have to invest a lot of points on stealth to make it worth it.

OK, what if he has 15(+)% base crit, enhancing gear and likes using aimed shot on you? Those 10% from lifting apply after the armor and stack with the 10(+)% from conditioning so if you're wearing metal armor you're looking at something around at least 76% + additional 20(+)% damage reduction not counting shields. Kinda crazy.

I'd still say the best defense is not getting hit at all but reliable damage soak is always nice to have.

Go light armor, avoid stepping in lighted areas and if it's yellow let it mellow. Don't fuck around with psykers or turrets. For ghosting areas use weapons that make less noise; psionics, crossbows or suppressed.

How do you guys play a melee character? I want to make a bruce-lee type of dude who power-fists people in the face multiple times per turn.

depends, it can help you get access to better crafting components earlier on.

Just how much do I need to minmax to not be fucked on character creation? Is this down to the fucking smallest detail like having even numbered charisma in Fallout 2?

This sounds like the perfect chance to try a stealth heavy run :^)

Little to nil. Think fallout tactics.

Wasn't tactics the hardest game in the whole series? I remember needing to snipe or ambush everything to not get ripped open.

Completely different series, mechanics or mindset required. Also minimal use for non-combat skills and melee was not nearly as viable. In this you can pick guns and wing it, but if you want to play on hard, a meme build like pure psyker or throwing or simply git gud do more than winging it then there's plenty of room for autism.

For example I heartily recommend a commissar build. You'd focus on ignoring damage, rushing into near melee range under cover of explosives and then picking off your enemies after yelling them into submission. Bonus style points for using a .44 with explosive bullets or a plasma gun.

is what I'm asking that unreasonable?

I did it with psychokinesis and speed (and crafting, you can make some damn awesome unarmed weapons that way). I basically found a way to get close (force fields are good) and kept the enemy stunned/incapped

Well, no. But playing a ninja like assassin seems more interesting than stack CON and STR, and hit them with the biggest hammer available. And I actually started what was supposed to be a mostly tactical AR build (so, less about burst and more about positional combat and special attacks) the other day but so far it gradually gravitated more and more into this alpha strike thermics slinger.

It also made me reconsider tranquility and mediation as having a larger pool when your AP regen is limited or shaving off 10-20 AP per rounds really helps.

PP, rather

These kinds of games look alluring with all the complexity, but are plain not fun to play.

absolutely false, I've put in 116 hours these past two weeks into that game.

I've wanted to get into this game since it came out but I suck ass at spec building. Anyone have a good build for a melee fighter? I wanna be Thor: God of Thunder with a sledgehammer

Define fun, but they are a bit too autistic for some.
I had no fucking what I should had been doing and I ended up getting mauled as soon as I reached the toxic area to get the drill piece or whatever so I just dropped it there.

Define autistic. You pick a weapon and you use it. More than you can handle? No problem, that's what grenades, mines, dopes or your brain are for. Still more than you can handle? Well, shit you probably strayed into an area meant for a higher level PC

In say Age of Decadence you can get proper fucked if you don't save up points or if you decided to wing it and play a smooth talking assassin or a brawny grifter, but in here? Not so much.

I was in the right area to continue the main quest, I just couldn't hit shit and my psi abilities were resisted left and right.
It was certainly a problem with my build, but every guide did mention that this is where the difficulty curve goes suddenly fucking nuts so its no surprise.

As for Depot A challenge it amounts to don't be a putz and pull every acid dog at once. Or alternatively bait them into pre-placed mines and turrets That's it.

Nigger I did that the issue is that I couldn't even land hits on the enemies anyway after the dogs were dead so I just couldn't do shit.
Are you autistic or something to understand that if you can't kill them you don't win?

Is your attack skill (whichever one you use) maxed for your level? That skill should ALWAYS be maxed. Stuns help a lot too, but you still need to hit first.

I'm sure that everyone who ever called you on your shit is autistic. You on the other hand are perfect. Did you follow a guide or does that come natural? :^)

So, how'd they die if you couldn't land a hit? Like even a hit in three? Also, how'd the fuck did you end up in a situation where you didn't have a primary attack skill? With a guide, no less.

There's four types of enemies: dogs, bots, mutants and turrets. Synths you can EMP and run past and those two will die to a well placed molotov.

I was playing Psi and it was just painful due to the raw stat difference between me and the enemy, I could barely stalemate them with crowd control but I was barely scratching the motherfuckers so fights were simply painful and risky. I certainly wasn't having fun, but I did have the same issue in Fallout Tactics when you get to the part where every enemy thrown your way was a supermutant with 20 times your health and chainguns tore your asses into pieces.

Yeah, you're pretty helpful, not like the game has a problem with having high level enemies 2 maps away from story areas that will murder you in a single turn if you take the wrong turn somewhere or something.
As I did say, it was probably because my build was shit and I was new so I don't get why do you think this stupid gamefags tier pro-gamer attitude is somehow showing anyone anything.

consumables user, but there's only so many consumables you can use before you run out.

Hey, you can always disengage if it goes too hot and chip your opponents away divided into small groups. Especially if you use electric psi attacks to stun them, allowing you to backpedal with only some of them following you each combat round.

And how can you run out of consumables if you have shitton of money to spend on them?

I know but just chipping enemies over 30 minutes while playing cat and mouse in a turn based game isn't exactly my idea of fun.
The game is a great spiritual successor to the classic fallout but sometimes the difficulty curve goes too far, I should had probably tried playing in a lower difficulty the first time since the game is far too punishing, specially if you go psi.

Pic related.

I played it but never finished it, the first playthrough was a sledgehammer meme machine, later on did psi punching, was fun but a bit difficult.

user, I went thru that same area just the other day and I don't think I used more than half a dozen fireballs or more than 50ish 8.6 and 30ish 12.7 in total. Supplement fireballs for molotovs and add the cost of ammo and a couple of bandages and that's maybe 500 stygians with no mercantile. 2500 if you're literally naked. By that point I had close to 7000 + SGS credits but I'm a miser

And even if you got the worst possible loot table, ever, there's a shop just round the corner.

If you want coddling try tumblr.

damn this was satisfying, my only gripe is that you can take out a maximum of two enemies per turn with an adrenaline shot. Who should I play next?

Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on who you ask) Underrail is a very min max-y kind of game, to the point where you can fuck up builds pretty easily and be gimped but a properly built character will be murder machine. It sounds like you would have much more fun if you built your character properly so I suggest you go to the wiki and read up on the skills and use the character builder so you can plan your character to level 20 or if you're too lazy for that go and copy someone elses build.

does doctor work on health hypo's too?