Killzone

Why didn't this series get popular? What could it have done better?

Personally I loved Killzone 2 and 3. I think people especially missed out on the multiplayer for Killzone 2. They aren't perfect but they are a lot better than people give them credit for.

Be more like the first game and less trying to be space call of duty halo killer.

It never got popular because they never let you play as the good guys.

I think you mean be more like Kill Zone 2.

I'm going to assume that is what he meant since Killzone 1 is usually regarded as the weakest of the series.

Killzone 2 is definitely the best of the series.

But they do, on multiplayer.

Killzone 2 was pretty great, they gave a big fuck you to diversity in order to represent urban warfare. 3 on the other hand went full "muh diversity of gameplay and scenarios" and was a big letdown to me. In terms of multiplayer, 2 was really gold and the only fps mp I actually enjoyed on the ps3.

Resistance also suffered after 1, they went from an almost unique quality game to full generic garbage with 2 and 3.

Going back to Killzone, they should have invested more in what made 1 and 2 standout for 3, bringing back 2s mp and marketing it better. As the other user said, being able to play as the good guys would have helped.

KZ1 happened to be marketed as it but the sequels felt more like they were copying COD and other mediocre console shooters. The sequels also removed the alternate weapon fire and had that shitty useless cover system. Instead of grenade launcher rifle/shotgun rifle we got just two different looking rifles etc.
KZ1 > KZ2 > PSP game > the rest

Really? Because both that and the first game were boring as fuck, the only one that was fun was the one on Vita and they stuck it on that system forever

You forget about ShadowFall, that was their chance to successfully enter a new market, bu they blew it by simple making it another COD remake.

The first game or the second one was pretty popular I guess, because I remember my normalfag friends talking about them. Their popularity died pretty quick tho

Well admittedly Killzone 2's E3 reveal will forever live in infamy.

What definition of popular are we using here? 2, 3 and SF alone sold well over 6 million altogether.

What didn't you like about 3? I thought it was almost as good as the first, save for being too short and the incredibly anticlimactic ending.

I agree that 3 is better than 2, but it felt like damage control after fans bitching about the second one (which was "super cool" for the normalfags).

Tbqh I just couldn't enjoy 3 after they fucked up the story with 2. The psp game was great, and I was expecting the series to move to eastern Europe based on it. 3s gameplay was somewhere in between 1 and 2, but yeah.. I was to bitter to appreciate anything out of it

And a single Call of Duty or Battlefield sell much more than that. Same goes for Halo.

For a shooter series I'd say it isn't really popular at all.

Vita game was the best.

3 had a lot of really good core gameplay systems but had pretty terrible level design. No health regen is great, the weapons are interesting again and weapon leveling is a great system. But the levels have way too many heavily scripted events, like that pathetic boss in the mines. The story is a joke, having humans as enemies is stupid and it didn't really do anything interesting anyway. 1 is a lot better because the level design is so much better and the story has an appropriate amount of mystery to stay interesting. Also, 1 had one of the composers for the Ratchet games doing the soundtrack.

That's actually a great point, the first one soundtrack was pretty neat. Ratchet composer, makes sense now

Not thi shit again
Killzone was never good, just Sonys answer to Halo.
A mediocre console shooter that Sonyggers ate up.

That's fair, 3's story was kind of hokey in places. I did like it quite a bit outside of that though, though the multiplayer was unforunately pretty dead by the time I got round to playing it, so I never got to see how it compared to the first two in that regard (even though Resistance 2 was the weakest I still loved its online co-op mode). I agree about the PSP game too, got it on a whim and it was a pretty pleasant surprise.

That's true, though I'd say it's only unpopular relative to those kinds of series. It just feels weird to me to call a series that's consistently sold over 2 million per game since 2009 unpopular in its own right.

I'm not sure why it never reached the heights of those series in terms of sales, though, and I don't know if making the switch to Helghast protagonists would do the job since that seems like something that would appease fans more than draw in newcomers. Would like it to be more popular, though, so that the multiplayer would stay alive longer. Haven't gotten round to playing SF just yet, but 2 and 3's multiplayer was fun as fuck.

On another note, I recall Radec on the hardest difficulty being fucking insane. He was a pretty cool character.

Agreed on the level design, though I did like how you got to fight humans in the prison level. Was an interesting change of pace having to fight human weapons for once, and it was pretty cool when the Chimera showed up and fought them along with you. I thought the military Chimera vs feral Chimera dynamic was interesting too, especially in the last level.
That's interesting, never knew.

You mean PSP

its generic shooter with cool ass enemies you cant play as.

For other genres this isn't too bad. Most successful AAA games though sell much more than this. So this to what I also said about how for a shooter this isn't a lot and then you can see what I mean when I say this series isn't very popular at all.

Considering the sales I'd say the multiplayer modes for 2 and 3 did really well though. They survived for a long time due to fan love. I know I played them even years after release.

My only regret is not playing the games even more.

Killzone 2's multiplayer was pretty fun, even if it was a Radec Academy shitfest with the absolutely overpowered shotgun.

Seemed liked everyone's favorite map though. I liked it but it did get a bit sickening how so many people wanted to play that map all day. It is still a great map however.

One map that grew on me even though I hated it at first was Visari Hammer.

Killzone 2 had much better maps than 3. Too many cluttered ugly looking maps in 3 to.

It was always a bland unremarkable series that's only notable feature was being "that FPS that stole Protect Gear armor designs from Jinroh".

It will also be known for that debut trailer for Killzone 2 that was so obviously CG and real time.

**and NOT real time.

Holy shit this whole fuckin thread, you faggots need to leave this place and go back to reddit or cuckchan

this, mediocre game.

with an e3 video that every sonnygers ate up like you faggots always do because "muh exclusive"

With fucking Halo threads it was only a matter of time.
Theres a single faggot here who fellates Killzone and calls it superior to any PC FPS.
Its that bad, wouldn't surprise if hes replying to himself

Holla Forums edgelords are on a roll

What the hell is wrong with you children? What is wrong with simply liking these games? I'd understand you sperging out if it was something like Gone Home but people barely talk about Killzone. Not even Sony fans really "fellate" the games anymore.

So big freaking deal if we have at least one thread after months of having none. The franchise is already niche enough as is. You probably won't even see another thread on it for many months after this game.

FYI it is one of the few Sony exclusive franchises on PS3 and PS4 I actually even like.

Holla Forums - Video Games

Source- nobody.

It's like asking why is Bloodborne not more popular.

you can have a couple of anons here as sauce

2 had quite a niche fanbase, while normalfags in general complained that the game was lacking variety, colors, halo like weapons and so on. shitpost all you want, but 2 was far away from any generic bullshit we had on the market at that time

The biggest problem normalfags had with that game were the heavy controls.

Try the following for hugbox circle jerk discussion:
>>>/cuckchan/
>>>/reddit/
>>>/neogaf/
>>>/facebook/
>>>/somethingawful/

Nigger who the fuck are you and why should we care what you like?

I would have loved Killzone: Liberation sequels on PSP and PS Vita. That game was the shit.

What do you mean you don't care about what b9743f likes?

i can smell the bitch in you. fucking go back to reddit cuckchan you flaming faggot

btw, mention one /edgyV/ approved fps from the past 10 years

What

There is a difference between constructive criticism and what those anons were doing.

Which I gave earlier as to why KZ isn't popular anymore: It's sweepingly unoriginal and just meant to push new hardware, even if SOny lies about it.

Some new meme we're not aware of >>>/reddit/
Seriously, leave >>>/reddit/

Okay that is constructive criticism. You are wrong but at least you tried. What those two guys were doing wasn't.

Look I liked these games and it is neat to see at least a few in this thread have favorable opinions on them considering the fact that the series isn't that popular.

besides your clear lack of capability to name a fps, you argument like a pleb. keep lurking until you are able to improve your trolling skills by quite a bit

Alright nigger, have you not realized I'm one of those two guys you're pissing your pants about?

Did you just roll in from >>>/reddit/ ? Guess it would explain why you can't read IDs.

And you post like an obvious newfag with your made up meme and an argument that has no bearing on what the thread is about. >>>/reddit/
Also >>>/cuckchan/

Let you play as the Helghast.
/thread

Didn't 3 remove some of the bullshit like the health regen and bring the weapon wheel back instead of a limit?

I misquoted. I meant to address the other two posts. You sound like a whiny faggot anyways so now I feel perhaps that misquote was deserved.

How about talk about the game instead of shitposting like a faggot?

Yeah definitely would like a Helghast campaign.

Nah, Killzone Mercenary is arguably the best FPS on a handheld.
Granted, that's not saying much but it was definitely a great game for what it was.

It's also the closest you will ever get to playing as the Helghast in SP

top fucking kek, so easy to spot you guys

Who thought that design was a good idea? Just make a jet-powered Osprey like every other game does.

I really would love to play it but not so much that I'd buy a Vita just for one game.

Priceless
Priceless
The only good thing about this franchise was playing as the big buff MG nigger in some of the missions.
Thats it

Console exclusive. Halo managed to sell well despite this because it had a longer history and was pretty much synonymous with Xbox as a brand, a lot of playstation fags are actually more into weebshit than shooters.

Why didn't this game get popular? What could it have done better?

If they remastered KIllzone 2 & 3 I would buy a PS4 just for that

Didn't the studio that made those games also make Witcherrim Chronicles X for the PS4 aka Horizon Zero Dawn? It just seems that these guys are unispired and are told by Sony to make something that can compete with already established big ticket sellers like COD, Halo, and Generic Openworld RPG #1241235423.

>>>/gaschamber/

But its console exclusive user, surely it must be good.
All those ads told me so.

I remember when it was advertised as the "Halo killer". How could it be the Halo killer if it's not released on the same platform?

I am hoping they remaster 2 more so than 3. Would love to play the multiplayer with a bigger population again.

Because marketers are retarded

Fuck man, this board really has gone to shot

lel
Even the stupidest normalfag knows that those words hold about as much water as stuff like this.

Killzone is bottom of the barrel tier shooter, the only reason why it got anywhere was because it was published by Sony, had it been published by anyone else it would have had one entry and been discontinued, there are many other shooters from the 6th and 7th gen that suffered such a fate and many were much better games than Killzone could ever hope to be.

Many? I could think of metro if you are into this kind of fps, but what else?

That's just off the top of my head, and when you start getting into discontinued fps that had sequels you start getting into games like Timesplitters, perfect dark, Nolf, those 007 fps games, Technically Half Life. each one of them miles beyond the mediocrity that is Killzone, and Killzone is still alive, but not on any merits but the fact that Sony published it.

XIII could've been a genuine classic if they didn't have those forced stealth missions and precognizant AI

Killzone 2 was fucking good but that's it.

Was Killzone 3 bad?

I'll answer for you. It wasn't bad. It was still pretty fun for me. They made questionable design choices though. Here are some that imo didn't really benefit the game or weren't necessary to include. Also some I feel indifferent to or perhaps it could have been implemented better.

So instead of getting a chopper for example you would get faster reloading instead depending on the conditions to get it.
So you want armor? Sure but then you can't have the two weapons ability. Just seemed like something they slapped on here tbh for the sake of calling it an improvement when it really wasn't. This is a good example of what people mean when they say they CoDified it.
This is perhaps the biggest and worst change to multiplayer.

The campaign was pretty good fun. The game overall felt inferior to 2. It feels like it was going through an identity crisis because they wanted to appeal to more people. So they changed a lot up mostly for the worst.

I believe this is sarcams, but I genuinly liked it, I hated the demo, but when I played the game I really enjoyed the mechanics and the story, it wasn't that original, but I felt like it was pretty decently executed. Still a shame that it was on console only, no FPS should be only on a console.