That New Game Feeling

What are some games that captivated you from the get-go, Holla Forums? What little things made it clear that you were playing something truly special?

I haven't had that feeling since Rouge Squadron on the 64.

Fuck off.

I never played it. What things did it do in order to grab you?

Really OP?

Sonic Colors

Breath of the Wild. It was the only game I've bought in years where I had the desire to play it every day for two weeks straight.

Just this week I started Shadowgate 64 (on N64) and I'm hooked. The way it presents the story is pretty neat.

No games really ever made me feel this way for too long as I eventually hate most games that I play because of all their limitations and flaws. most old games are better than newer games, but there are alot of very shitty old games that confuse fun with frustration

I remember just before minecraft was fully becoming mainstream, when it still had it's magic to it. someone made an inception song (mind heist) themed trailer for minecraft. this was special because minecraft was still mysterious and made you feel a sense of wonder.

eventually minecraft become cucked in every way you could imagine.

at least now we have FOSS minetest. it wont be the same, but it's a new better start.

Dark Souls
Oldschool WoW
Bioshock
A few Metal Gear games

How new are you fucks?

really? why? I used to be a nintendo fan but after pokemon go, all the dlc whoring, and the mess that is the switch I basically gave up on them. don't get me wrong, I'm totally demoralized by sony and microsoft as well as steam and nintendo. I dislike all of them equally now. I have great hopes for FOSS linux gaming.

FCUK OFFF

DO YOU HAVE PENIS PROBLEMS

context sensitive
"It's sensitive to context"

Predator: Concrete Jungle. It's not perfect, and it has flaws, but fuck me if it isn't fun as s hit, and there's enough content to keep you going way after you've beaten it.
It's not amazing, but it's criminally underrated. It's at least a 7 or 8 out of 10.

I feel like I understand the limits of games too much to really feel excited for something new.

Same here. Except I pirated it because I'm a poorfag.

Time Fcuk was pretty captivating.

For the first two love the build up of story and setting to the games. When I first engage in combat is when I knew I would be in love with these games.
With the last one you either love it or hate from watching the trailer. I knew I would have a good time playing it all the way through

Into Free got me fucking pumped the first time I fired up Dragon's Dogma.

Enderal actually managed to do this

These did nothing for you. Are you fucking kidding me?

Ori
Dustforce
FTL
Dork sol
Final fantasy tactics
Ogre battle 64

Dark Souls, Bloodborne, Metroid Zero Mission, Etrian Odyssey 4, Minecraft back in the beta days, good shit.

word. No other game has made good stalking prey gameplay.

Pajama Sam
Red dead redemption

The combat coupled with the and narrative made me play it every day until I completed my first playthrough. I'm now on my second and I can't pry myself away from these fucking minigames.

Super Mario bros 3: Shit felt so fucking contentful, I remember being halfway through thinking "holy shit, this game never ends".
GTA: It was absolutely unique at the time, at least for me, both the scope and the overall world and how everything was presented.
Soul Edge: Felt very dynamic, the hitboxes seemed very precise and it had a late-80s animu feeling to it with a nice cast.
Shenmue 1 and 2: Holy fuck, the autistic attention to detail, content and the progression feeling to training made it fun as fuck for me. Just fiddling around with shit is fun enough already tbh. The story worked well for a game too.
GTA III and SA: Again, a breakthrough in terms of scope and content, special with SA.
(In a weird way) Dragon's Dogma: First time for open world and good combat to get combined, it came out of nowhere (all the open world games were being shit) and the AI "training" was very neat. It has a ton of flaws, sure, but it still is one of the best -somewhat- recent games.
Modded Stalker CoC: Discovering how to progress in-game without using any guide is fun, fucking up the AI respawn and properly adjusting damages and other variables makes the game very unpredictable making you enjoy each trip to the zone more. Having AI tagging along with you can actually be fun since they are quite aggressive under most situations.

Nier Automata got me hooked right away. I can't remember any others in recent history.

I went in expecting a generic action JRPG so when it started off as a bullet hell shooter I knew I was going to be playing something that would try to be creative. It didn't let down on the creative aspect, even if the balance was completely fucked, but it's still the best experience I've had with a video game in many years.

It's not that he's upset about, it's that faggy pretentious way of talking that pseudo intellectual Reddit/Youtube channels do.

Words that should be reserved for art but these fat slobs and quirky homos use it, desperate to elevate their hobby which deep down they know is a waste of time, mum was right to some kind of higher cultural status.

Or they'll elevate it simply so that people will take their arthouse tranny games seriously.

Sleeping Dogs. As soon as I bowed to the first temple.

I remember having this feeling for
M&B:W
TF2
Dark Souls
and other games I have forgotten
I wish I could feel it again

When playing steins gate, I didn't sleep until I got all the endings.

2 weeks ago on v I saw a thread for kenshi. since I borrowed a copy I've not slept more than six hours a night. last time it was this good was new Vegas.

Oh ok, i thought you guys were pretending you can shill for a snes game.

Megaman on NES had shotting, action, good story and music, and some level of planning with weaknesses. As a kid i loved that shit.
Mortal Kombat had blood and violent combos. First time i managed a fatality was great
Super Mario RPG on SNES
Mario64 blew my mind for the 3d passage alone.
Crash Bandicoot 2 was incredibly fun from the start. The speed, the gameplay, the humor.
Legend of Mana, FFT, Vagrant Story, Chrono Cross and Wild Arms 2 got me with their beautiful stories and great ambience and music even if WA2 got a little repetitive

Nowadays, some scenes and the music that comes with them have been an important factor.

Skies of Arcadia
Tales of Symphonia
GTA V, and then it wore off until I got menyoo and it got twice as good
i got permabanned twice

The actually removed the song entirely from dark arisen. Was pretty disappointed.

It's not a game but I fingered my way through the Walking Dead seasons. Being captivated can be like tonguing a bad tooth.

clem is not for lewd

So you can only communicate in niggerspeak, got it.

I had high expectations for Minecraft back then because it was getting explosively popular, but alas, it had no fucking content and only empty broken promises. Minetest is nowhere near as solid and the mods and modding community are extremely lackluster.

I really wish this wasn't the case, but it is. The thing has fucking LUA, people could mod just about anything into it yet we still don't have any mod that makes combat better or AI more interesting (or solves any of the other base-issues MC has).

Gimme a big, good looking open world to play around in and have the gameplay at least be decent, and I'll play for a while.
I may not think of it as "something truly special" but I'll be interested and play for a good long time.

The last game to do that to me was Metal Gear Rising. Before that was Total war M2, Dark Souls 1, and Resident Evil 4 even farther back.. haven't gotten that same feeling recently though.

Scratch that. The latest game to give me that feeling is The Witcher 1. Took me three times downloading and uninstalling from boredom but eventually i discovered the plot twist on my own in the city I noticed my Witcher medallion vibrating when I went into the detectives house.

When i got hacked by a door in EYE Divine Cybermancy, I knew I was in for something strange. The nonsense dialogue made it even stranger.

For everyone crying about Minecraft "muh api", why don't more people just migrate to Minetest where people can actually mod shit? I figure that alone would be worth it to be away from Microsoft's cancerous bullshit.

Gothic 1, Anno 1602 and nothing since then. Those were also my first games, so theres that. In case you couldnt tell im a kraut.

Dark souls 1 came close, but it didnt quite grab me from the start. It took me about an hour to realy get into it.

It's 3 in the morning and I don't feel tired at all of staying awake

Planescape Torment. From beginning to end it never bored me.

Dark Souls
MGS3
Splinter Cell Chaos Theory
KOTOR
Suikoden 2
Deus Ex

I don't remember what I was expecting with Hotline Miami, but I do remember that I played it from start to finish in one sitting, even though that meant not getting any sleep for work.

Mother fucking Arx Fatalis. Every step into that world feels like you're in a magical journey. Outstanding game.

Videogames are art. At least some.of them.
Art just means making something that's intended to be appreciated for its beauty by applying your skills.

Ace Combat 4
The rest of the PS2 trilogy was just the icing on the cake

Where can I get this game for cheap? I've played it before but I want it on PC. I know the developers deserve at least a bit of money for this gem so I wouldn't want to just torrent it.

I only know of it being on g2a and steam. $8 on g2s, and 30 on steam. If you can't afford 30 dollars you should probably just torrent it.

What the fuck?

Video games can never be art.

Growlanser 2
That music and the huge anime portraits blew me away when I threw it in my PS2 for the first time.
I went back to gamestop and exchanged if for the LE I thought it was so awesome. This was a long time ago so I used gamestop, which at the time was eletronics boutique.

That's why you don't open .swfs

The last one was deffinitely OneShot. I'm the first person to cry about lack of gameplay, yet I was not ready for the 4th wall break at the beginning, after that it was pure love.

Did you play the Frontier something? I didn't because it looked trash.

doing what? it took me 40 hours to beat the game and get board of everything.

Good shit

i won't do it

Last time I had that feeling was in the PS2 era.
As to answer your question: GTA 2, NFS underground 1, doom, descent, streets of rage series. There are more but i'm too lazy to put the effort into remembering.

first 2 made me think it would be a bait post but the other 3 got me confused. I'm assuming you're just a pleb.

panzer front
bad company 2
black ops
medieval 2 total war

Well, technically buying it from a key site doesn't really give money to the dev but the middleman, but it could be an incentive for that middleman to buy more keys.

Bayonetta on PC. I can't get enough, this is the evolution of DMC.

If Nintendo doesn't port Bayo 2 to Switch I literally might not buy it. Nintendo has a fucking obligation to port the Wii U's best games, since it sold like shit and is now a dead piece of garbage holding great games hostage. Switch is basically what the Wii U should've been, it's even about as "powerful" as a Wii U.

Was a magical time for strategy gamers. COH, DoW Dark Crusade and Medieval 2 total war all came within weeks of each other.

Video games were always art, but most of the people who want to have them officially acknowledged as such in the popular consciousness are establishment hacks who only want video games that reflect their politics, because they also only want TV, movies, books and paintings that reflect their politics. Video game stories were much better-written in the late '90s and early 2000s before these chucklefucks came along, and to be perfectly frank, they featured much deeper worldbuilding and characterization than what the vast majority of the "literary canon" has, and they included amazing gameplay, visual direction and soundtracks to boot. Not only were they art, they had more artistic merit than most of what's commonly held up as art. The only reason people didn't think so is because political hacks control our art critique. For all they love to shriek about how video games aren't diverse enough, those games had tons of diversity, but that wasn't the problem for them. The problem is that video game stories of that period were full of counter-cultural narratives. They were full of anti-government, anti-corporate, anti-authority messages and exhortations for the players to think for themselves and develop their own opinions instead of being told what to believe by the same neoliberal assholes who now screech about how Tetris doesn't meet their POC quotas. The assault on videogames during that period was intended to bring them under strict establishment control like older forms of media, but attacking vidya from the outside failed. Gamers formed a united front against them and they couldn't make a dent in it. That's why they resorted to subversion instead, and so many of us weren't prepared for it because we had never seen normalfags appropriating a culture en masse like social parasites before. After all, most of us weren't social butterflies and didn't pay attention to that sort of thing. We didn't truly understand the kind of evil they were capable of. Maybe if we had, a lot of pain could have been prevented.

That's why I said if he can't afford the steam price he should just pirate it

I got through a bit of it but the illusion of choice is entirely gone, especially if you slogged through season 2. It felt very rushed and the fan service parts were low effort.

Sengoku Rance. Then my computer died and felt no drive to restart it.

It's on GamesPlanet UK for $16.66 if that's good for you. It's a legit store so money does go to Capcom.

What are you, a faggot? You don't like Quake?

is there anyway to get black and white anymore?

No, either second hand or piracy because EA.

Yakuza 0 is my first Yakuza game and its incredible i have to play more of them.

Also Fear i just started to play and its great to be genuinely scared without it being annoying

You shoulda started with the first Yakuza. The combat feels way more sluggish(? I don't know a better word for the situation) than the rest of the series. It's still good, though.

We need a sticky that just to says to start playing series in release order. Would help filter out dumbfuck threads about HURR WHICH GAYM IN DIS SERIES SHOULD I FIRST THE FIF ONE?

I didn't play them in release order, I feel like 3 is a good starting point anyway. 1&2 are a bit dated and would definitely put off people who would otherwise enjoy the rest of the series.

7th Gen kiddies should be gassed

1 is only hard until you realize you gotta use R1 to actually not die and to kick serious ass with heat moves, after which it gets so much more enjoyable.

Basically these: >>12424622

The cut content has little to do with the overall quality of the game. Not having mahjong is definitely a bummer, but the hostess waifu sim is pretty pointless and doesn't contribute much to the game overall.

The translation is also piss poor and its not Yakuza 1 and 2 which should be the starting points.
Please do not be an apologist to Yakuza 3.