Why is killing god such a common trope in JRPGs but literally no other genre...

Why is killing god such a common trope in JRPGs but literally no other genre? Not to say it doesn't happen in other videogame genre's but it rarely happens except in JRPGs where I must have killed God over a dozen times by now.

Other urls found in this thread:

realkana.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

God or a god?

What do you mean? Are you implying that the christian god is the one and only true god?

It happens but it isn't really a trope in them.

God or the head god in others.

He clearly mean Allah faggot.

Every time op plays a JRPG he literally starts worshipping an evil guy.

Japan is not monotheistic country, you are forgetting.

I mean God or a god according to the game's lore.

I never said it wasn't.

reported

Does Japan have a formal religion? I know they believe in spirits and stuff but do they have a definitive cannon to their religion?

Most of Japan is non-religious or Buddhist.

reported

You would think Nintendo would realize people are sick of this by now.

I swear I remember this thread. At any rate, the Japanese conception of God is not the same as commonly held in monotheistic religions, especially since a large majority of the nation follows Shintoism. Add to that Christian elements for flavor (think what Evangelion did with the religious imagery) and you basically have capital G-o-d as a final enemy when lorewise he's just another part of the pantheon.

Also given the power creep in JRPGs it often makes sense in a universe with DnD overtones to have divine beings as final obstacles to overcome. Most other games don't face this problem, ergo they don't have this plot point that's only shared between JRPGs and Japanese anime (in my experience).

see

Well fuck me, I can't read.

Don't worry, it's something of a theme ITT.

user, calm your anger, this is a pretty good thread and the only shitposting is from you.

I had a mormon lady tell me about how big Christianity is getting in Japan. I wonder how annoying Christian Missionaries are to a people who apparently aren't Christian.

So wait, they literally believe Yokai Watch is real?

I just started learning japanese next week. When it gets to that time I'll push it off to next month. Pls no bully.

Proven right once again.

I at least enjoy listening to sermons. Recently got into an argument with a cardinal over Old Testament vs New Testament theology. People often get hung up over the Trinity concept, from what I've seen.

Gotta smash the bourgeois after taking our estrogen pills, comrade :^)!.

You're 300 years too early to be bullied by me.

Asian people have no soul, therefore they make terrible storytellers.

When your game goes on for 50+ hours and has to constantly ramp up story elements to maintain people's interest because the game mechanics are all fleshed out by hour 20 it seems pretty easy to eventually end up at fighting gods.

No, ZUN invented youkai.

Mormons are not Christian, even Muslims are closer to Christianity than Mormons. Polite sage for off-topic.

Because at this point if your game doesn't end with a massive world eating god that governs all existence the common player will be disappointed.

The Japanese have no souls.
As such, they fantasize about killing god.

Finally learned the hiragana so I can pronounce everything except the last bit. Can't understand a lick of it, but hey I'm only half a year in Please kill me

I learned all the hiragana in like one month, it's not hard if you REALLY make use of mnemonics.
I'm just stumped on the verbs but that's because I'm lazy with grammar.

YOU CAN'T

That looks like my tranny friend

A year is a year, you can't say it's only a half year

thicc

i was going to post that but it's on my laptop which is all the way across the room :^)

Because gooks are awful at writing and when someone comes up with an even semi-original idea it gets rehashed a billion times
Just look at death note, japs and weebs still jizz themselves over it

Because japs have inferiority complex (rightfully so)

Dude. You can learn to phonetically Kana in about a week or two. realkana.com/

I think that only counts if the story is shit. Parasite Eve.

its because they arent good christians and also theyre gooks and bad and i dont like them

Japs are polytheists.
They have as many gods as they have toilets, so to them the God of the Book (the one of the Jews/Christians/Muslims) is basically ULTIMATU GODU 9000.

Don't worry. That Saint of Killers game will come any day now.

Because WAITU PIGGU GO HOME AMELINIGGELS GET OUTTA MAI CUNTLEE

Uh, no. At least not in modern times. When I lived there, the subject of religion came up every now and then because to them, Americans seem extremely religious. Turns out that even ten years ago, about 92% of Japan said they were atheists. The shit you see in games, books, manga, anime, ect. is as much a fairy tale to them as Greek mythology is to a westerner.

Angelic design =/= god
Angelic/Heavenly themeing/design and characters with god complexes are everywhere, but there is actually very little games where its actually the capital-G God.

They also aren't christian

Japanese view the gods are stupidly powerful beings, nothing more. Look at Touhou or Serial Experiments Lain for examples. Even Lain doesn't necessarily become a traditional God at the end, even though it's said that she is.

There are some in Japland.

It explains in part their obsession with Christianity. Cramming their literary works with Christian imagery during their phase of chronic depression due to school bullying when they were young, terrible soda cracker diet, work stress, poor sleep schedule and living in an urban area is a Japanese tradition after all. And then you can watch as the audience see meaning in those work when there is none, as there is so much condensed meaning in the Bible that merely ripping random parts off will give your work the illusion of having a parcel of the crammed meaning.

You mean people over analyse the bible and have been for hundreds of years so everything has "meaning" to it.

Because he wants to lock us up in jail cells.
Of course he needs to be stopped.

Look into the 19th century theology. Shintoism is a compilation of many disparate faiths.

That's the Demiurge, user.

Short answer: because Japan.
Long answer: Because Japanese folktale and mythology have humans dealing with spirits and gods all the time.

Oh Atlus, never change.

Because it's cool.

b-bane?

You jelly?

I still don't know what the fuck Necron was about.

I want a JRPG where a perverted serial killer that just wanted a quiet life is a final boss.

Reminder that Sakuya is an Atheist.

he still has to pay for being a perverted serial killer you know, no rest for the wicked

How can you be into these generic pale eyed/grey haired sluts? Even if they have a rockin body the generic face kills it.

My fetish is emotionless sex.

It sounds more like killing a monotheistic god is more a meme spread by people who don't play JRPG's than something that actually shows up more than now and then.

Not as good as regular old exoticism does.

I'm pretty sure that variations of this exact thread keep popping up every so often or so and it keeps getting the same replies. I believe it must be some /christian/ autist.

opposed to?

This is just a part of the shitposting act, isn't it?

Well, user, the first thing to know is that "angelic appearance" doesn't always equal "holy being." The Bible is yuge on not trusting what a person looks like on the outside over what they actually do, because there are many liars who will use the appearance of a pious person to deceive people into comitting evil.

Japs are satanists.

I suppose you could consider throwing knives in their faces from time to time as one way of rejecting their existence.

Common in JRPGs but [common in] literally in no other genre.

really makes you think

Aside from SMT what other JRPGS have you kill YHWH?

Because
Japan has multiple gods.
We go over this literally every one of these threads dummy
It's fundamentally different to monotheistic religions.

JRPGS typically run on stupid.
Also, japan has a completely different concept of God - a powerful spirit, rather than an actual omnipotent.

Gods aren't Gods if they exist.

I like the manga where Dracula got a job as a Japanese god.

Which one?

Then who is the uppercase God? Odin? Madoka?

Why did Europeans give up all their cool Gods for a foreign desert Jew one?

Learn history, fag.

Uppercase God is Yahweh, I'm just saying that Yahweh was a regular old lowercase god before Christianity and Islam.

Jubileus isn't THE god of the bayo universe, just one being in a pantheon of incredibly strong shit. Considering Jubileus's seal is on the same level as Rodan's, and the queen of sheba exists, there is a lot of stuff out there.

Hell, final boss of bayo 2 still wasn't at max power even with the eyes, because his other half still had a lot of his power sealed off.

Jubileus isn't even truly dead, and could be revived again.

Because jews have based their entire philosophy on the idea that they themselves are god.

But I'm an Ausfail. They don't teach us anything about history except muh six gorillion and abbos dindu nuffin even though they burned the continent down and genocided the pygmies and two or three other groups.

See SMT.

Made by a fedora tipping faggot It's funny though, they do great "research" collecting all this obscure stuff and then they shit all over it.

they embrace the power curve of RPGs and need monsters that'll pose a challenge once you can cause thermonuclear explosions or summon other gods to attack on your behalf.

Look further afield than the roos then, fag.

What was her name again?

its prevalent in jrpgs because jrpg characters nearly always grow ridiculously powerful over the course of the game. in every game that you grow that powerful you have to end up fighting some kind of godly being because anything less would be anticlimactic. rpgs tend to be theatrical affairs. that bad guy youve been chasing around all game seems kind of puny by now. the final boss has have an overall theme of overwhelming.

Nips don't understand Christianity. News at 11.

This and

This, but unironically. Japan experienced contact with the West like we would experience an alien visitation from omnipotent spacefaring extraterrestrials who gave us a bunch of awe-inspiring shit and then left us alone to figure it out and think about it and observe them from afar.

So Japanese art has a remote awe-admiration-dread-"desire for mastery" relationship with Western culture. This is uncanny because its a perspective that shares some elements of our own past relationship with Christianity (awe and fear of God), but also has its unique elements as well (we fear God! How can we master him/overcome him?)

Power level shit; things always need to be getting bigger and badder in JRPG's regardless as to how crazy it gets.

Bump. How do I even search for it?