All of these action games set in historical settings

What gives ? Are video games truly an immature medium for those lacking an attention span ? Must every crusader game have demons or shitty crossovers with unfitting factions ?
Is mount and blade the only exception ? Gimme some action games in strictly historical setting.

Other urls found in this thread:

mobygames.com/game/freedom-rebels-in-the-darkness
archive.org/details/freedom-dos
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I guess action games truly are dodging historical topics.

Appeal to the broadest audience
Most people don't know and don't care about those periods, so you get generic medieval period instead or generic Greco-Roman world

Conquistadors
Eisenwald

Why live?

sea people did nothing wrong

WESTERNERS GET OUT, THIS IS AN ASSYRIAN BOARD REEEEEEE

hey user if you want these types of games so bad why don't you make them?

TURN BACK THE BOATS

How does AoE 1 compare to AoE 2, I never gave a shit about Medieval Europe because the people before them were had superior civilizations and weren't squabbling tribes, all I heard about it was that it was slower.

Three reasons:
Research takes work and dedication. Most studios would rather just rehash the same fucking settings than make something original or at least remix existing settings. This would be ok if improved or original mechanics were implemented.
Second, see . Your average normalfag is going to say "WHO" whenever you insinuate anything other than "romans and greeks -> middle ages -> napoleon -> WW2 -> modern warfare".
Third, current political shit forced into games probably wouldn't allow for half the shit on your list, since it would be "waaahcist" since "m-muh based muslims" or "b-but their all white".

It is mechanically superior in every way, homever, AoE 1's sprites have more charm to them.

Pic related is a good game, just don't go into it expecting much historical accuracy.

Because history is fucking boring.

You could not possibly be more wrong.

t. ignorant fagboy
When you read of fucking insane things that actually happened, like the time that Hannibal crossed the Alps with an army of god damned war elephants and nearly completely buttfucked the Roman Empire, it's baffling that no one outside of mod teams wants to actually include such events in vidya.
Games like pic related are cancerous shitpiles that fail to capitalize on their own source material.

OP, if you want historical action games with a semblance of realism you're out of luck. Strategy games and the occasional RPG are the only thing that will satisfy that itch.
Keep a look out for Mordhau though. I have high hopes for that game and it focuses on realism to a large extent. I don't think it follows any particular time period though.

OP, you sound like a lazy fucking faggot because most of the games you listed already exist.

Absolute madman.

Feel free to name some.

I thought there's been several games about the Finnish at least?

muh forced stealth sections
pretty neat game, I highly recommend checking it out

Obligatory.

I can't believe this shit happened over a decade ago. Still amusing though.

Get the fuck out.

Are you retarded? Before the medieval era was the Roman empire. There were still squabbling tribes too, but they were mostly in northern Europe, which was a backwater shithole at the time.

You speak as if the Greeks or the other multifarious peoples outside the Empire who weren't the Parthians/Sassanids or China had any sense of unity. They didn't. And after the Empire collapsed, It was nearly all tribes battling each other while the Catholic Church did its best to keep things stable. I wouldn't call what emerged from that a bunch of tribes as opposed to lords and their ambitions.

Obligatory post. I would put Gladiator sword of vengeance and colosseum, but my only experience with them is staring at the cool covers in the PS2 then putting them back.
Aside from that, mountain blade has what you said and more.

No, I don't, because I know that they didn't. One Germanic tribe was as likely to go to war with another as it was to go to war with a Celtic tribe or other, more estranged group. Anyone who reads history knows that. You're putting words in my mouth.
It was their interaction with the ashes of Roman civilization, mostly through the church, that transformed them from backwards tribals to a landed, more refined society.

In my defence, your wording was confusing.

Sorry.

Well, there's Konung 1-3.

Well, uh, okay. Here, have something I found.

Any game what lets you play with winged hussars?

Also fuck you, archeological evidence suggests there was more shit going with Celts and Scandis than Helleno-Roman propaganda recorded. Slavs and Germanics did spend their days killing their own in forests and fields though. They get better later.

historical accuracy is boring as shit, see mount and blade.

See
Sequal never ever.

The post was mainly relegated to Germans and Slavs but Rome and the middle-east is infinitely superior and interesting than whatever villages they were raping especially the Scands.

There have been a few ancient greek games. I remember a few on the PS2. Almost all of them were really generic. People generally prefer Greek mythology to historical greek stuff

That's because being a oafish dude who just smacks people's heads in gets old really fast

I think Cossacks is a bunch of early slav games

Because just having a historical game drops the amount of people who are interested in it by easily 3/4ths

Most people don't care about a lot of this sort of history unless it's made more interesting. The only time people are into it is either if there's a lot of money behind it. See Ryse: Son of Rome for example. Or they belong to it/are invested in it.

But Assassin's Creed minus Black Flag is pseudo-stealth AAA cancer. And Cossacks isn't exclusively Slavs.

OP said "no historical games". I gave an example of historical games.

If you're going to want "exclusive" games then the amount you're going to get drops really fast. There's actually very few "exclusive" games that focus on just a single period of history or from a single viewpoint. Even most WW2 games let you play as the Germans or other sides in the war.

The fact of the matter is that you have to embellish these historical settings a lot to make them interesting to play in an 8-10 hour video game. Like a Colosseum game would get really boring really fast unless you made it just a single mode in a much larger game.

Maybe the original ass creed and potentially the second, but anything after that is basically fan fiction with marxism.

The Greeks are
SLUDGE
beneath my boots.

They all have sci-fi elements but it tends to take a back seat to the actual historical subjects. Like a big appeal to the entire series for me is getting to meet historical characters like James Cook or William Thatch and seeing them interact with you and so forth. It's really interesting. A big highlight of the original Assassin's Creed for me was getting to meet Richard the Lionhearted at the very end of the game. And a big highlight of Black Flag was getting to control Blackbeard's ship "The Queen Anne's Revenge" and battle with some other ships.

I'll always laugh at this.

Expeditions Conquistador and Expeditions Viking.

The first has a free weekened on Steam right now.

You mean the game that implied that Henry Ford, Adolf Hitler, and Thomas Edison worked together?

jump off a building like your MC

Turn based and turn based. The request is for action games.

and also called out international jewry in one of the puzzle screens

I miss GTA games portraying more recent past settings like the 80s or 90s. I'd love more but the fandom is fucking autistic now and they don't want anything other than [current year] because anything else would be outside their comfort zone.

Alright, try this one, heard it's based on the Haitian Revolution.

>mobygames.com/game/freedom-rebels-in-the-darkness
>archive.org/details/freedom-dos

Relevant greentext. Goddamnit, /his/, you were too young to die.

I think the crazier thing was the Roman damage control after Cannae, like forbidding crying in public unless you were a woman or using the word "peace".

There are GSGs like Crusader Kings or Europa Universalis, and Kingdom Come: Deliverance is supposed to be set during the Hussite wars once it comes out

Well, you have Stronghold Crusaders, but fuck you, real history intertwined with myths make for the best settings, like Darklands and vid related.

I think that "M&B:With fire and sword" does have winged hussars in it.

Tell me about it OP.
I would fucking kill for a shooter/sailing game set around the Barbary Wars.

The commodore (Prebble) wrote out his orders on January 31. Decatur was to transfer his crew from the Enterprise into the Intrepid. The Intrepid would sail in company with the brig Siren, commanded by Lieutenant Charles Stewart, to a rendezvous north of Tripoli. As Siren waited in the offing, Intrepid and the Siren’s boats would steal into the harbor under cover of darkness. “Board the Frigate Philadelphia, burn her, and make your retreat good,” wrote Preble. Before escaping to safety, Decatur must be certain that the ship had been completely and utterly destroyed. The raiding party was to ignite combustibles in the gun room, berth deck, and cockpit storerooms. “After the Ship is well on fire, point two of the 18-pounders shotted down the Main Hatch and blow her bottom out.”

“The destruction of the Philadelphia is an object of great importance,” Preble added. “I rely with confidence on your Intrepidity & Enterprize to effect it.”
The expedition sailed from Syracuse the evening of Friday, February 3, in moderate breezes and pleasant weather.

Intrepid was a slow sailor, and she was taken in tow by the Siren. The weather was unseasonably mild for the first several days of the passage, but as the two vessels reached the offing north of Tripoli on the night of the seventh, the skies were threatening.

The Intrepid and Siren anchored in six fathoms of water abreast a line of rocks that formed the outer barrier to Tripoli Harbor. […] Decatur decided to sail the Intrepid back into the offing before sunrise, so that she would not be discovered by the Tripolitan lookouts. Siren’s crew tried and failed to win her larboard bower anchor, which was wedged in a rocky bottom—several men were knocked down by the capstan bars and “much injured.” With dawn fast approaching, and the Siren rolling her gunwales under the waves, Stewart finally ordered the cable cut and the anchor sacrificed, and the brig followed the ketch back out to sea, to a distance offshore of about ten miles.

For five days they lay to against the worst conditions the Mediterranean had to offer, carrying scarcely any canvas at all. Owing to her small size and “frail construction,” the Intrepid was wet, overcrowded, and miserable. Pitching and rolling in heavy seas, the crew suffered terribly from seasickness, and even those who could stomach their food were made sick by “an accidental supply of putrid provisions.” The hold was infested with rats and vermin. Morale suffered: some of the men thought the mission was doomed. […] Throughout the ordeal, Decatur maintained an appearance of absolute confidence and resolve.

When the gale finally abated on February 12, the Siren and the Intrepid had been separated and driven far to the east. Each vessel navigated back to Tripoli by identifying features of the North African coast—especially Mount Togura, a few miles east of the city. On the fifteenth, the two vessels rendezvoused, and a council of officers was held aboard the Intrepid. Decatur decided the operation would be attempted the following night. Nine men from the Siren, armed with cutlasses, pistols, and muskets, went across in the cutter to join the raiding party aboard the Intrepid.

Cont.

February 16 dawned with clear and pleasant weather. A fresh breeze sprung up in the afternoon, and Intrepid began her approach to the harbor, flying English colors. No more than six or eight men showed themselves on deck, all disguised in native Maltese clothing. Steering and handling the ketch in a careless and lethargic fashion, they created the illusion that she was a common merchantman—so much so that answering colors were raised over the town’s British consulate. When it seemed as if the Intrepid might reach the harbor before nightfall, Decatur ordered that ladders, buckets, and spars be towed astern to act as drags, slowing her progress. At dusk the wind fell off, the ketch’s speed dropped to 2 knots, and the drags were taken back on board. The Siren, meanwhile, had fallen far behind in the failing breeze, and her boats were late in reaching the mouth of the harbor. Decatur decided that the Intrepid would carry on alone.
She wafted down the channel, pushed along by an almost imperceptible breath of wind on her larboard quarter. Hours passed. The huge stone walls of the Molehead Battery and the Bashaw’s Castle rose up on either side, dimly lit by a crescent moon hanging low in the west. Eighty men were crammed aboard the little ketch, all but a few concealed belowdecks or stretched out prone behind the weatherboards. They were armed to the teeth, silent as the dead.

From the Philadelphia, moored ahead in the channel, the Tripolitan guards scrutinized the approaching vessel. They had no reason to suspect the Intrepid was not exactly what she seemed to be—an ordinary Maltese merchantman. But the Siren had been seen earlier, far out in the offing, and the sight of her had put them on edge.

When the Intrepid came within hailing distance, her Maltese pilot, Salvador Catalano, called out to the guards in Arabic. He told the story that Decatur had invented. The ketch had come to Tripoli to ship a cargo of livestock for the British garrison at Malta. She had suffered badly in the gale, losing both her anchors, and she needed assistance. Could she have permission to make fast to the frigate for the night?

The guards relaxed and assented. The water in the harbor was as smooth as glass, and the wind had all but died off. It did not seem as if the ketch could reach the frigate without being hauled in by a line. A boat was lowered from the Philadelphia and a hawser taken in hand to be rowed out to the ketch. A boat simultaneously put out from the Intrepid. The two boats met and the hawsers were made fast. Men aboard the Intrepid began hauling on the line, hand-over-hand, drawing the ketch closer to the target.

It was the moment of maximum danger. The Philadelphia’s gunports were open and the tompions had been taken out of the guns—she could easily have blown the Intrepid out of the water. As the distance narrowed, the Tripolitans on board the Philadelphia could look down onto the deck of the ketch. One noticed that she had not lost her anchors, as Catalano had claimed—and another caught sight of one of the armed men lying prone on the deck. He cried out: “Americanos!”

Catalano lost his nerve and shouted to Decatur to give the order to board. The lieutenant, seeing there was still a gap between the vessels, answered firmly: “No order to be obeyed but that of the commanding officer.” The crew restrained themselves for a few critical seconds as the Intrepid drifted closer. The guards seemed confused—some shouted that it was a trick, but others remained uncertain. When the ketch was directly alongside, just under the Philadelphia’s forechains, Decatur shouted: “Board!”

Cont.

“The effect was truly electric,” Surgeon’s mate Lewis Heermann later recalled. “Not a man had been seen or heard to breathe a moment before; at the next, the borders hung on the ship’s side like cluster bees; and, in another instant, every man was on board the frigate.”

The rail was 10 or 12 feet higher than the Intrepid’s, so the men had to climb the hull as if scaling a rampart. Decatur leapt first and clung to the fore chains: eighty men were just behind him. So quick and tightly choreographed was the assault that by the time the commander slipped over the bulwark, the frigate’s decks were already swarming with attackers. Some came over the rail; others darted in through the gun ports. To keep the noise to a minimum, they worked with edged weapons only: swords, pikes, and knives. No shots were fired.

The battle for possession of the Philadelphia was short and savage. Taken by surprise, the Tripolitans made a feeble and halfhearted defense. Some ran to the forecastle and others to the starboard rail, “whooping and screaming” as they went. A dozen or so scrambled into a boat and rowed to safety. Most simply leapt overboard and swam toward the beach. About twenty men turned on their attackers and fought. As a reward for their courage, they were slashed, hacked, and stabbed, and their ruined bodies thrown into the harbor. The raiding party took only one prisoner, and he was so badly lacerated that he was not expected to live through the night. One American was slightly wounded, none killed.

In ten minutes the fighting was over, and Decatur gave the order to destroy the Philadelphia. Like every other aspect of the mission, the firing of the ship had been meticulously planned in advance. The raiding party separated into squads, each assigned to set fire to a different section. Each squad carried a single lighted lantern and each man a three-inch length of spermaceti candle soaked in turpentine. Combustibles were passed from the Intrepid up to the deck of the Philadelphia. The squads took them below and planted them in the storerooms, gun room, cockpit, and berth deck. All was ready in minutes. Decatur walked back along the spar deck from forward to aft, pausing at each hatchway to shout: “Fire!” Each man lit his candle at the lantern and ignited the combustibles.

The conflagration spread so rapidly that the men had to scramble up the ladders to escape. The lower decks, said Heermann, were soon “enveloped in a dense cloud of suffocating smoke.” One officer was nearly trapped on the orlop deck when flames spread across the berth deck, above his head, and filled the after hatches with smoke. He ran toward the bow and went up the forward ladders. Decatur waited until the last of his men had climbed down to the deck of the Intrepid, and then followed. Flames were roaring out of the hatchways “in volumes as large as their diameters would allow.”

As soon as the lieutenant was aboard, the men worked frantically to fend off before the ketch was consumed. The bow hawser was thrown off and the Intrepid began to fall astern, with her main boom running afoul of the frigate and her jib sail flapping dangerously close to the flames. The stern hawser jammed and men raced to cut it with their swords. Long oars were brought up to be used as poles to fend the vessel off, but the fire sucked in air from every direction and the Intrepid was repeatedly drawn back. Finally, Decatur sent a crew to take one of the boats ahead to tow the ketch’s bow around. Her sails filled and she began to make way.

An alarm had gone up through the harbor. The Intrepid was taking small arms fire from two xebecs moored nearby, and soon the guns in the castle and harbor batteries came to life. The Americans were fortunate. The enemy cannonade was wildly inaccurate—only one shot came close to hitting the fleeing ketch, and that passed through her topgallant sail. Men laid hold of the oars and rowed her down the channel. Once out of range of the enemy guns, they laughed, joked, sang, and paused to watch the spectacle of the still-blazing Philadelphia.

None of them would ever forget the sight. The walls of the castle and city were bathed in a warm, orange, spectral light. As the flames reached the frigate’s tar-saturated rigging, they raced up to the mastheads and “presented a column of fire truly magnificent.” At 11:00 p.m., the masts and tops, still burning brightly, fell majestically into the harbor. The cannon, as they were heated by the flames, fired in succession—some casting their shot at the castle. At midnight the cables burned through and the floating inferno drifted in toward shore. By six the next morning, the men on the deck of the Siren, forty miles out to sea, could still see the light of the distant fire on the southern horizon.

Thanks.

Is that the Holla Forums catgirl?

top wew
Also, no, there isn't any Assassin's Creed game that portrays the Muslim invasions of Europe (or any other place).

L-lewd.
Thanks for the story.