Scalpers and Gaming

Let's talk about it in general, from the NES Mini to Rule of Rose, Amiibos, Xenoblade Chronicles at Gamestop, etc., do you have any experiences or personal rage stories about having to deal with scalpers in the world of gaming?

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Does this not count?

hmm… looks like that one is dedicated to Nier.

Yeah, that's why buying this and an Expansion Pak was the best investment I have done.

You had some bad experiences while trying to buy a certain N64 game?

Mischief Makers and DK64, they are not easy to come by on my country.

I have my experiences with PS2 games, usually anything with female characters like Haunting Ground and the like, even if the game is relatively easy to find, if it became popular or has fanservice then the price is higher.

Not quite scalper, but here goes. I bought a copy of Secret of mana off ebay for ~30 bucks, seemed like a pretty good bargain until the cart came. The save battery was dead, and somehow the screws were rusted shut on the cart so you couldn't open it up to replace the battery.

I always hated going there, first time i went to one was when they replaced Funcoland, i walk inside and it looked fucking awful; Most of the PS1 games were in those cheap paper sleeves, with many of them just thrown all over the floor, and the N64 games were mostly MIA, they just had a small case in the back with a few stashed inside being sold at exorbitant prices(i.e. 47.99 for a cart of Pokemon Stadium 2)

Damn, what shithole do you live in, here in murica they're pretty common. N64 in general IIRC isn't really bad, aside from the typical shit that spergs snap up like Smash bros and Pokemon stadium.

People hoard the stupidest shit sometimes, like fucking Zombie Hunters for the PS2, I mean it's like hard to find below 70 but on the other hand it's fucking Zombie Hunters, and it's not like it's because it's rare or anything considering the prices on other PAL ports of simple 2000 games.

Nigger just get a NFCRW tag

Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Mischief Makers is not very common anywhere as far as I know (although it probably is less rare in some places) Thanks for calling my country a shithole by the way, I love getting treated like garbage by condescending jews.

I bought a copy of Silent Hill 2 off Amazon listed by seller in "Great Condition".

It looked like a dog chewed through the box and they taped it back together with electrical tape. So mad; it just sits in a corner.

I've noticed myself that some shitty sellers only apply the condition to the disc or cartridge itself, as if going on the logic of "it's the game you want, who cares what the rest, if it comes with it, is really like?" I once ordered a cheap "Great Condition" copy of Shadow Hearts: Covenant off of Amazon like that; sure, both the discs were fine, but the case, manual, and cover were in absolutely shitty condition. Good lesson in both why to avoid sellers that dodge questions you ask, refuse to post pictures of the product, and not buy from Goodwill online vendors in the first place. I did eventually get a replacement case/cover/manual from some other seller and all around both purchases still were at about average price the game was usually going for, but still.

wow

Conkers bad fur day goes for like +$80 now.

Go back to sucking mohammad's dick, you passive aggressive little cuck.

Isn't he the faggot who bitches about the playstations, then bought a PS4, bitched about it having no games, and when a console exclusive game was actually announced he started bitching about it not being on the PC? If so then yeah you're right, he goes out of his way to be wrong most of the time.

Amazon is the most bipolar thing i have ever seen, to the point where if you buy a game from them that says something like "comes with case, manual and game". you're getting anything from a brand new copy of the game, to a busted up box with no manual.

Maybe 6 years ago I saw two copies of Dokapon Kingdom at EB Games for $2 a pop. Still have em

Part of the issue is lack of Amazon forcing hard traits for the condition listing: If something is "Like New", I would expect it to both be in the same physical condition as it was at release AND come with everything it (at least a basic version) came with at the time as well. Instead it gets frequently applied to just the disc(s) or cartridge. And even then, a lot of sellers don't go into specifics as to what they're listing, or post photos with the listing, and half the time if you ask them for more information, you'll get a "sorry, it's stored in a warehouse so I can't" tier reply. Part of why I rarely buy used games online unless I can't find something in person for quite a while; in brick and mortar stores (I know of a few half decent local ones) I can at least do a personal quality check as to the state something is in, and a fair amount of the time get it anywhere from a bit to a lot cheaper than online (where most anyone goes off of Amazon or ebay prices anyhow) as well.

BTW, were there scalpers inflating the price of the Wii when it was "sold out" everywhere?

Fuck nintendo. I really wanted an nes classic. But they sold out in seconds and were mostly put for sale on ebay…what does nintendo do? Stop production. Fuck em, I got a raspberry pi and that'll have to do, nintendo doesnt want my money.

Not really a problem with games unless you're a collectorfag. Emulation, flash carts, and digital downloads all make physical copies unnecessary.

Only if you are stupid enough to buy scalped units and have no self control

Yes, they also tried doing so with the Wii u and PS4(Didn't see much xbone scalping for SOME reason) and it didn't work so good.

But there were those for the Wii then? I mean, is more common with Nintendo stuff but sometimes I wonder if they do it with everything Nintendo produces.

if you had the patience and brought it at a store it would have been priced as advertised. are you asking another question, there are always scalpers, fortunately they are an extreme minority, and most people are able to get their systems first hand unscalped.

JUST STOP BUYING VIDEOGAMES YA SCURVY LANDLUBBER

No.

NOPE

I'm so angry that I can't just go buy an old nintendo64 and a ton of controllers and all of it's games for some fair price these days.

would love nintendo to make, or give a third party permission to remake the N64 with all the N64 games + extras and mods and a save game system that doesn't fail built in to one box.

they could make huge money and destroy the scalper monopoly on N64 products.

meant for

Apparently Nintendo doesn't like money unless it is from people they like or something.

this

I play entirely on original hardware/FPGA and don't have to worry about scalpers because I'm not an idiot and use better solutions to these problems.

you niggers need to figure out back up loading is a thing that exists. Don't listen to intel shills that want you to be stuck with shit emulation.

I am interested in the theme, can you tell us more?

pretty much every console except new ones (they do just not widespread/accessible yet) have back up loading solutions that might cost you a little bit out of the gate but will save you hundreds in the long term. In the case of some systems like the sega saturn you're talking saving tens of thousands and not having to deal with shit emulation to boot.

Whats the method for sega saturn? I got one about 10 years ago from some flea market for 5 bucks without the power cord. Back then it seemed like the best method was modchipping or something like that.

I recall some Australians had a project to allow PS1 games to be loaded from an SD card and the like, the Dreamcast seems to have something like that but requires either a new BIOS installation or reading from a disc which may be a problem if the laser is gone.

A loader basically is an application that takes advantage of the actual hardware a system has, and runs games for it off a storage device. A fat PS2, for example, can have an HDD set up to communicate with the PS2, have PS2 games installed onto it, connected to the system (via network adaptor, which powers the drive and allows the drive to send data to the system), and then the games ran via homebrew loader applications (in this case, HDL or OPL).

I see, in that case I have the FMCB for my slim and I can load games via ethernet from my PC's HDD, although there is a small amount of games with compatibility issues.

buy an action replay 4-in-1 cartridge, flash it with pseudo saturn kai, burn games and enjoy. that or swap disc method. that or wait for satisfier to be released later this year. pseudo saturn isn't 100% compatible, but passes, model 1 systems have higher compatibility, satisfier promises to be 100% compatible. small price to pay considering 5 or so of some of the best saturn games will run you in the thousand dollar range of spending.

the analog NT mini is an expensive fpga console (not emulation, better than original hardware and accurate to original hardware) but with custom firmware by the guy who was contracted to design the system you can get 35 8-bit systems running on it with perfect RGB, HDMI out, excellent scaler and picture options integrated, and play gamegear, master system, the entire NES library, fan patches and loads more by getting an identical or improved original hardware experience. It's like $350 or something but all those console libraries, perfect RGB and all it takes is a micro sd card? Shit that's nothing compared to the price on rgb mods, controllers, etc, and all the sudden you are saving a fucking ton on that small pay out, and it's better than emulation because it is a direct simulation of the hardware logic the systems are based off of.

Yeah, with Free McBoot you can have loader files placed and ran from the memory card. However, I think I've heard that Free McBoot is incompatible with slims past a certain model number, so it may or may not be a solution, depending on what number you have. Getting Free McBoot itself is another issue (not an especially hard one to solve, but there are limited options).

Anyhow, as far as PS2 loaders go, make sure to update them as new stable builds are released. When I was setting up my HDD, the files came with some preinstalled applications, two of which being loaders. The version of OPL was outdated though, hence why I wound up adding Free McBoot to a memory card to begin with (so I could install the current one and avoid freezing issues I was encountering on what I had been playing on the old loader). OPL's up to v0.9.3 now; not entirely sure what HDL's most recent version is.

i think you can buy FMCB memory cards for like $5 on ebay. Just get a real memory card, third party shit is so finicky.

I remember when Ni No Kuni came out, and people were screwed over by both scalpers and the production company scamco hired to make them. I was one of the lucky ones who got mine with no issues.

the game was kinda whatever but that's a solid CE.

if he ever feels differently about it he can make $200 if he feels like it.

Yeah, unfortunately the game did kinda blow.

Somebody's triggered.

For GBA there is the REVO K101 but even as a hardware clone it seems to lack some compatibility with ROMs, a few physical games and the audio is not 100% accurate in certain samples where the sound is altered in some way internally (sweeps and the like)

iirc the most ideal gba solution is GB player, I just have little to no interest in the gamecube that I'll settle for gba emulation because it's pretty solid overall due to it being ARM based.

gb player with the gbi, not the stock gb player.

Who the fuck blows a lot of money for a fancy emulator? Even the controllers are wired.

Yeah, I managed to just get my own card set up with it since having the HDD modded came with uLaunchELF preinstalled, so I could just run the installer for the memory card that way. Just had to put the Free McBoot files on a thumb drive (along with the latest version of OPL as well, to save time) before doing so.

Anything past 2008 can't use FMCB indeed, I think there is no other loader that I know of.

Oh good. For a second there i thought you were going to recommend gutting the fucking thing for an SD card slot.

This tbqh. Trying to buy physical copies of something that has been decades out of print will be painful no matter what it is.

Why not just emulate it?

Sometimes emulation is not perfect, like trying to play Forbidden Siren 2.

Worth doing if you have a Saturn with a dying laser diode. Fucking things are near impossible to replace. I got a PSIO for whichever of my PSX systems fucks off first, and I really need to get off my ass and get the equivalents for 3DO, Saturn, and Dreamcast.

I need to thank Gamestop for their fucking retardation when they were dumping games to make way for the 360 and PS3. Not a single game in these photos cost me more than $12.

Whoops, the SNES collection is borderline garbage. Meant this one instead.

Stupid GS, if not all of those chains for not appreciating old games after a few generations, on the other hand, I thought DC lens replacements were literally gone forever.

My grandma bought me Battleclash.

I didn't have a Super Scope.

Fuck off.

Yardsales, rummage sales, and yes, Gamestop stupidity, my friend. You don't see any copies of Final Fantasy ANYTHING or any other "holy shit" level SNES games in that clusterfuck.

It's perhaps for the best that you didn't have one. I got one from a series of trades that did not end with me trading for a mansion, and that game wasn't rad to the max. My grandmother bequeathed unto me the family Atari 2600, veteran of dozens of Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners, occupiers of the children, most of whom are now dregs of society.

Your poor genesis, I bet they broke it by the end of the week

Hand over the scope games faglord!!

Though;

Borderline garbage? With DKC, Mega man x and zelda in there? fuck no. wish i could have that kind of luck dumpster diving, my gamestop was incredibly good about not trashing shit, and just keeping them in the back or sending them off to corporate. Still, you should of stepped it up, most of the SNES games i have i bought way before the retro boom through random yard sales and flea markets(with the rest being shit i found for decent enough prices, like Super Bomberman 2 for 20 bucks)

DKC, Mega Man X, and Zelda are super-casual-tier. Not rare at all, but surely overpriced. When the boom was at its biggest, I was at my brokest. These images are stuff that's easier to collect these days.

what in all fuck made you put black grips on a browning high power?

I had owned ten at one point. During the holiday season and bought and resold these and Hatchables. I resold them for double the price. I sold most of them in the parking lot. God I feel like a idiot. I wish I kept a few. My NES still works, so I sold every single one. If you want to be a scalper, you have to be dedicated. I camped out in front of many stores.

That's a 1991 CZ-75, long rail, pre-B edition. Arguably the finest 9mm ever made.

CZs are the comfiest pistols around and only deliver quality…aside from maybe the rami, not comfy.
I do not regret choosing the P-01 at all, best 9 I've ever held.

Rally would be proud.

My brother from another mother.

Dunno where you got such a crazy idea, sir. I have no idea what you mean.

MAGA amirite fellow burger xddd

snes and nes games are the worse. I found that buying japanese famicom and super famicom games are a lot cheaper. example (using ebay as reference) :

even the more common ones like mario, donkey kong, zelda, etc. are a bit cheaper in japanese, also beware of sellers selling repro, they work fine from my only experience, but dont pay more than 20$~30$ for it.

Is MMX3 that hard to find? I never liked it to be honest.

BTW, how come some people still overcharge for reproduction carts based on the original's rarity?

Good lord
Even more reason to just stick to emulation

repros are really nice actually. ali express has a long shipping period but the games work.

CRT scalpers are the fucking worst
They keep shilling their shit on this site too so blatantly that I am surprised its not anchored any time its brought up.

that doesn't happen.
-t. the person who makes crt threads

you are just paranoid

X3 came out at a time where the SNES was receiving less and less support because the N64, PS1 and Saturn were on their way. It only had a limited release, especially in America.

yeah right

I'd prefer not to be a thief.

mods have bumplocked them because autists like you turn them into a shitfest

I don't post in obvious shill thread like yours butthurt scalper

then you must surely know what you're talking about.

nah you're just another retard, stop getting so defensive over being mocked for using one type of display over another you insecure pussy

No one who isn't the most dire case of corporate cocksucker can honestly argue there is anything wrong with Emulating games from the PS2 era and back. This shit is over a decade old, most of it isn't available for retail anymore and when the companies involved do actually release a digital version guess what? It's normally just a fucking emulation.

I'm about as buyfag as a reasonable person can be, but anyone arguing that emulation for 10+ year old games is theft is just a fuckhead.

yeah, even x2 is getting more and more expensive

agree, I have a secret of mana 2 in english and its great (they use fan-made translation witch I found scummy, but meh). I was just warning people to not overpay for one and to beware if they find one in the wild, because a lot of scammer are selling repros as legit copies

it's chinese shit, just gotta accept you're paying for the convenience of a $5 cartridge. I think the repros are obvious pretty much all the time. the ali express stuff is really cheap looking and feeling too. it's kind of funny how cheaply done it is in every sense.

I actually haven't seen many repros for old console games in the wild, it's mostly been pokemon games on the gba.

I recall a YT video where a Mario game from the VC had the same header as a well known dumper.

If you want convenience then buy a flash cart, then you can put whatever roms you want on it.

Gonna make cash yo

I agree, but some people like owning individual cartridges per game. I'm not one of them, I prefer a nice list menu with the games running as good as the real deal. If the one game per cart thing is what you're into, repros are a convenient way to pull that off and are extremely cheap.

I heard someone robbed a full truck of Amiibo in the UK long ago, maybe someone will try the same for the SNESMini.

good idea to make a buck off of it, try to wait until they """""""""""""""""discontinue"""""""""""""""""" it again, don't bust on just the first drought.

\>>12390764
well no shit nig, those games got higher print runs and sold better in jap than they did in the west, plus, nobody wants a game that's entirely in jap.

It didn't work for john oliver, it's not going to work for you.

chrono trigger & earthbound might be bad examples, but games like MMX2/3, super ghoul and ghost ect. are simple games that can easily be played without knowing a word of Japanese. and some games are in English like super metroid

nintendo games aren't really good examples due to retro hipster tax. also earthbound kinda sucks.

really the only legit "fairly priced" game I can think of that costs an arm and a leg is panzer dragoon saga because there's only a few thousand copies in existence. azel panzer dragoon rpg is a lot cheaper for a good reason. RPGs have their own retard tax, but still, very high demand game, highly acclaimed game, priced at $500-600 or so kinda makes sense when stock is so low.

I'm pretty sure that has happened with quite a few of Nintendo's things.

Probably gonna drop 2-3 hundred, maybe more on them and sell a few soon afterwards to get back the money spent immediately and then hold the rest for some time.

I want to say Tales of destiny II is also one of those games, seems like it didn't really get all that much of a print run either, but i'm not exactly sure on the numbers. It's also never been properly rereleased as far as i can tell, there was PSP port but it never got released in America and the PAL version is typical Ubisoft affair, where the game has been botched so bad it's incompletable through normal means.

Rally gave me a brown girl fetish.

Fuck overpriced older games, just pirate them. The worst thing is that hardware (consoles, controllers, memory cards) have also gone up thanks to scalpers and "muh geek retro gaming".

Because you need to post in threads to read them?

go shill elsewhere faggot. Nobody is going to by your shitty 1k$+ displays here.

Gunsmith cats was too good for this world

I started collecting a bunch of older games back in the early 2000s when they were still cheap before scalpers and collectors snatched them all. Got a bunch of NES games for like a dollar each that are worth maybe 30 dollars or more now on an open market. Bought a copy of Pokemon Green for like 10 bucks and I hear the price of those have shot straight up since Pokemon GO and all that shit

I can't even be upset.

Too be honest it sounds like he made a good fucking deal. I'd have done the same thing if I rode bikes although I don't think I would ever let go of my copy of Green, since those are hard to find in the States'. The funny thing is that the original Pokemon games sold so fucking much that they aren't particularly rare, just valuable since normalfags are fucking idiots.

Criminally short animation series and next to no porn.
Was Burst supposed to end on such a sad note?

You want to know who the king of scalpers is right now. Aside from those retro game booths at cons, Gamestop.
When they expanded you had troves of retro games being sold in bins for cheap. Then they sent it all back into a warehouse until they decided to open up a retro section online and gouged the prices fucking up normal prices at flee markets because what do you think comes up first when they want to know how much a game is worth. Just imagine how many unsold games they destroyed before they got this idea.

I don't want to know. I stopped reading gunsmith cats a few chapters after she meet her father. I don't want it to end

Back when they drew cars in anime instead of using shitty CGI.

Yup

Watch this vid and go to 15:18. youtube.com/watch?v=HLWY7fCXUwE

Actually go to 14:00

I spent a little over $100 on my Game Boy Micro on eBay because I wasn't patient enough to wait for a downward trend

This was about a year ago

Aw shit I watched that back in the day and wondered if there is more to the story. I didn't know that most of the short OVAs were based on long ass mangas and light novels.

It is. Not nearly as much as PDS, but definitely among the more expensive PS1 games at $90-120 where I live (up there with the likes of Suikoden II and both Persona games). No PSP port in NA (likely due to SCEAs retarded ruling about straight ports at the time), and Namco gives no fucks about making it more readily available via PSN for whatever reason (same with Tales of Destiny).

Actually, it's only certain prints to my knowledge that suffer from the infamous Volt Glitch. Don't quote me on this, but I want to say I've heard that UMDs of it that came with 2.5 OFW as an option to install from the disc were the gltich free ones. Either way though, I would guess that most places like emuparadise that have a PSP ISO of it would have made sure the rip was from a fully working copy. Either way though, there's no co-op option with the PSP port.

Not that it excuses Ubisoft fucking up the first/first few prints of it into unplayability.

Wait, wait, wait: somebody sold one of those things for 10 grand?! I need to jump on this (I'm a whore, sue me!)

Scalpers are a pain in the ass, there's no denying that. I've talked with some collectors at a state exhibition show we have here. These are not your hipster grade collectors trying to earn some nerd cred, but 50-60 year olds who started with Atari back in the day. Their attitude towards it is that it's an unfortunate but understandable issue, and it's only gotten worse as video games themselves have become more generally popular and their value has become more well perceived.

And I know that some have now made it into a dedicated side hustle. I know a guy here in town who's been running around and buying up every NES Mini and Switch console he can get his hands on and reselling them out of his car. I know because that's how I got my Switch by paying $100 extra. Long story short, GameStop royally fucked up my preorder, and I grew impatient.

Hell, even I have done it. My mother who lives in a small Kansas town was able to score an NES Mini for me at retail price, along with another one which I helped her sell for profit. After explaining this, I actually had a GameStop employee get irate with me, saying that it was "people like me" why these things were so hard to find.

But it isn't my fault, nor is it the scalper's fault. Anytime you have a situation where an item is being scalped, it always comes back to a supply issue from the manufactuer. If there were more made to meet supply, then scalpers wouldn't be able to mark up their sales because they would be so plentiful.

And it's not as if Nintendo, who were primarily talking about, has anything to gain from scalpers. They know it's an issue, since all the frustration that comes with it hurts their brand. The Amiibos, when they were first launched, were a full-blown nightmare that has since dissipated after Nintendo finally found a manufacturing rate that comfortably met demand. These days, it shouldn't be so hard to find the Amiibo you want.

That being said, Nintendo has been able to identify and address the issue before, but the NES Classic was pretty much slated for such a limited time frame and even with their "extra shipment" they made, it wasn't nearly enough. Will they learn their lesson in time for the SNES Mini rumored to be launching later on? Precedence would indicate "yes," but we'll find out.

But you can always beat scalpers to the punch by knowing the right resources (www.nowinstock.net) and understanding when pre-orders and the like go live (After Nintendo Directs, etc.)

it was indeed

Sonoda did what Shirow and Urushihara did and just focused on character design business.
Bullet the Wizard will get scanlated fucking never.
Porn is rare, at least there is this one artist going strong on Pixiv.

I'm still recovering from new Berserk CGime.

Wii Fit Trainer is still too pricey, I was only able to get my ZSSamus because I got an email from Best Buy where I was able to preorder.

A Neogeo
Is that shit real, or is it a shitty emulation box?

it's an OVA, it's going to be very high budget.

Swap Magic discs past a certain version can also load homebrew from a USB, so you have the option of burning games or just launching uLaunch and loading OPL or any other loader - I got mine a few years ago for like $25, but don't know if anyone sells them anymore.

Swap Magic is kind of hard to find nowadays, not to mention the whole swapping thing will always depend on your laser.

The read deal. Japanese 10V model, bought it on eBay from Japan a while back, and I use a Genesis model 1 power supply to keep from over-volting it, as the original adapter converts Japan's 100V home voltage to 10V, while using it on the US 120V would turn it into 12V.

Skyrimjob was a fetch quest for a coworker who wanted it for his kid, and I happened to find it in such a laughable state for pennies. Bonus little cat, former stray kitten.

I know a literal kike that drove around the night before PS2 release and paid people to stand in line to buy PS2s. I'm guessing he got roughly between 50-60 of them for ~$700 each. Sold every. Single. One. On eBay for $1200-$2000 each.

He reinfornced the slimy jew stereotype for me. I've hated them a bit more since PS2 came out, and my disgust of scalpers is basically maxed out.

One reason not to be such a greasy (((scalper))) is that a sufficiently motivated person with money to burn might decide to track down the source of such (((merchantry))) and put a hard stop to it.

My nigga.
I've got one for my old SEGA and my GBA. Shit's fantastic.

Thats roughly a years salary for one nights work plus some administrative hours for mailing. Thats amazing I would totally do that

the NES mini is emulation though. in fact, it's every problem with emulation with zero of the benefits with all of the problems of the home console with none of its benefits. It's just a piece of shit.

At first te NES classic was suppose to be a big deal, at least on Holla Forums, because some people thought it was going to BTFO the scalpers, only for it to come out and become an excellent scalping tool.