Ghost Trick

Despite being pretty much spoiled on the main twist for a while I decided to give Ghost Trick a go just to see whether it deserves its praise and whether it holds up as a good video game even if I know what exactly is going on. I had no fucking idea what the fuck was going on, holy shit.

And I'm gonna say, fucking yes it IS a great video game. I expected it to be some sorta VN with light puzzle elements like Ace Attorney at best or some shitty minigame galore like 999 at worst, instead I got a full fledged consistent puzzle game with great gameplay mechanics, puzzles that actually rely on human logic and amazing merge of the interactivity and narrative where as much of the story conveyed through your actions as through dialogue.

So what I'm saying it, if you didn't play it - play it. Even if you got spoilered on something, I'm telling you're gonna be in for a wild ride, and gameplay actually means shit in there, so don't just watch it on youtube, or you'll miss out. It's quite an achievement to make player feel like a badass without any combat to speak of.
Buy, pirate, emulate, I don't care, just fucking play it. I can put up a rom on mega or something if you want.
Play it.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=NPwou2geTbw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

People like you are the reason we can't have nice things.

Wouldn't it devaluate it though? Or we end in a Guild Wars situation where you're better be off pretending there is no sequel at all?
I don't think wanting sequel for every game you liked is a good idea.
There nothing to continue either.

Game with similar gameplay but entirely different story/setting might be good though.

We don't need a sequel with the same characters, just similar mechanics and just as good story. Like what said.

I can't help it. I'm so sorry.

Didn't really like the end.
The true hero remains unknown by everyone.

A legitimate 10/10 game

Everyone except Yomiel and Jowd, at least. But that's probably best that "that time we all got murdered repeatedly" was forgotten by mostly everyone.

No what we need is a Ghost Trick crossover with Phoenix Wright. Using ghost powers to gather evidence and shit.

I fucking love this game though, and I've convinced a bunch of people to play it. I cosplay as Sissel at local conventions too, it's fucking fun.

Ghost Trick wraps up well enough as is. I wouldn't mind a spiritual successor though, with the same level of care and thought put into it.

Phoenix Wright is shit

Ghost Trick is one of the few games that I consider a legitimate 10/10. It has good, cohessive gameplay, great pacing, good artstyle that fits the game, a TIGHT soundtrack, amazing writing and memorable characters. It's a gem through and through, and I wouldn't change anything from it.

Missile best bro

I do hope you actually mean Yomiel by that, and not being some grown man in a cat outfit.

You should see if they'll let you bring actual animals with you. Like a Pomeranian.

Going to be honest, Ghost Trick was probably the first time I directly picked up a game due to anons having mentioned it (probably half a decade or so back at least by now) as being really damn good, and it did not disappoint in the slightest. Damn glad I looked into it.

Makes me a little sad to find that Sugimori hasn't done much composition in general despite having an apparent knack for it, and depending on where you look for information, Ghost Trick seems to have been the last new game they worked on (some have Ghost Trick as the latest entry, others claim Professor Layton vs Ace Attorney). If so, that fantastic OST was a hell of a send off.

Also, really good fan arrangement of Beginning of the Night as an embed.

This. Also, Grim Fandango 2 is stupid idea.

lol

bump

I've got a red suit and big yellow hair. You connect the dots.

A sequel doesn't seem like the most ludicrous idea to me. A game starring an immortal ghost kitten could work just fine, the only problem would be thinking of a good enough plot. The problem with THAT is that GT's plot hinges on its massive twist, and you obviously can't just do that again.

>Human given the immortality and super powers is driven to the depth of despair, becomes villain
>Cat given the same immortality and super powers as well as human-like consciousness gets comfy and is keeping his family safe and sound with it, most likely functioning as super hero
Can somebody explain this?

Said human had the love of his life kill himself and his own life decimated by his "death," leaving him terribly alone in the world with no fellow human beings to support him. He stewed in isolation and bitterness for 10 years and he went fucking crazy.

Cats don't give a fuck.

love of his life kill HERself, typo

Yeah I never got if Sissel is male or female name. Was Yomiel gay?

From what I have read, Sissel is a female name. Compare it to Cecilia. Also I think the game calls her Yomiel's fiancee, the female word. So, no, not gay.

Yeah, I guess Ghost Trick is 10/10 after all.

Don't forget that before that Yomiel got accused of a crime that he didn't commit, and was given absolutely no support or a chance to explain his situation, which led him to commit the mistake that set him into the path of immortality and isolation.

Sissel had constant interaction with friendly people whom he could help and save, which led him to appreciate people and life all the more; on the other hand, Yomiel was completely disconnected from the world with only Sissel to keep him company. Only after Lynne grieves for him at the bottom of the ocean does he realize that he was being a massive faggot by enacting revenge on people who didn't deserve it.

Remember how at the very end old Missile tells Sissel that he tried to get him to help, but without a proper incentive he refused and vanished into the city. This means that Sissel in his most initialized state was very selfish, and wouldn't have helped others because he wanted answers for himself first and foremost. Even throughout the game, he constantly wonders about the nature of his death. Without the help and interaction from everyone throughout the game, I bet that Sissel would have been lost and more disillusioned than he had been during the course of the game, because he has no one to rely on and no trails to follow, which would have led him to be kind of like Yomiel but far less assholish.

At the very least, that was my take on the game. tl;dr: Sissel had a lot of friendly, genuinely good-natured people to help and to rely on in his adventure, which had him become a humanitarian kitten in kind, whereas Yomiel was completely disconnected and hateful of everyone except Sissel.

Missile is total bro through and through.

Sissel is a female variant of Cecil, as is Cecilia. Yomiel also mentions at one point that if he had the power to turn back time the way his friend did, he wouldn't have let Sissel die earlier that night, and especially not a certain "her" all those years ago.

Incidentally, Ghost Trick is VERY fond of naming conventions relating to death and the afterlife. While "Cecil" can mean "without sight" in western etymology, "Sissel" can be read as "Shiseru" in Japanese, meaning "can die."

Yomiel lost everything, couldn't be granted death, and couldn't find much of a purpose in his death, and used his powers to torment those he felt "deserved" his undying wrath. Meanwhile, Sissel starts off aloof and selfish and gradually changes into a caring individual willing to go out of his way to help others, and in the end, he doesn't mind using his newfound immortality to observe the lives of beings he's come to find fascinating. Also helps that he did solve his own mystery in the end, and found a home, and as such is pretty damn content with his new lot in life.

I'm just salty because the game was spoiled for me here of all places by a cynical user without spoiler text or anything. Fuck you if you're still here.

Sissel being ghost cat is not really that big of a spoiler compared to the whole what happened 10 years ago business.
Game is still great and you'll get surprised a bunch of time, just fucking play it.

Got to remember, user. Nothing is sacred on imageboards, not even beloved games/shows/etc. Some people might care to not spoil shit or at least use spoiler tags, others will spoil away on the assumption that anyone that wanted to play it has by that point, or simply to ruin it for people that haven't.

Anyhow, if you haven't played it yet, I ought o mention that there are a DAMN lot of twists and turns in the game, to the point where I'd say even if you got one thing spoiled for you, the rest can still be a ridiculously wild ride. Hell, even to those that claim the game has no replay value, after going through it once, it is a lot of fun to pick the game apart for the well done foreshadowing and enjoy the atmosphere again. For me, it's like a good book you can't help but reread even after knowing how everything turns out because it's executed just that well.

I seem to recall that word of god has both series taking place in the same universe

I firmly believe if the game is legit good you can't "ruin" it by spoiling anything.
If game stops being good after you know the ending, chances are game is fucking shit to begin with.
But yeah spoiling without tags is just disrespectful to fellow anons.

My condolences for your spoiling.
I miss the days when threads about the game would provide fake spoilers with undoctored screenshots
Lynne killed you No, Cabanela killed you No, Jowd killed you

incidentally, Lynne really did kill you

I believe any good story can't be ruined by spoilers. If it's good, spoilers should encourage you to go out and experience it yourself.

The most important aspect of a story is not "what happens," it's how it happens. Execution is everything, and you can only see it for yourself.

This.
When you know that Sissel is a cat beforehead, some of the dialogue pieces start to make a lot more sense. Third one is here because it's fucking cool.

Hell, the first screen of text in the game could technically be counted as foreshadowing, depending on how much you want to read into it.

>Must've been unconscious for a while… my head feels "fuzzy", kind of like I'm swimming through darkness…

Really though, the way the foreshadowing in the game is done, it's done phenomenally, where the lines all seem to fit right with what's being talked about, so you wouldn't even pick up on them the first time through. On second plays it becomes a game of "spot the hint".

The strangest one is when Sissel agrees with Lynne that crawling around small dark places is fun. Not to mention all the rat abuse.

Except the (((Rube Goldberg))) machine. How the fuck does he know about it anyway

Admittedly that's something that does stick out a bit in retrospect. Perhaps the implication is that he might have learned of the concept from Yomiel at one point, but forgot until then. Aside from that, I'd be curious to know what the Japanese script has for that line. Ghost Trick's English script seemed pretty damn solid, at least as far as nothing jumping out that seemed really out of place, but perhaps a substitution for some other term was made?

Got to admit, Ghost Trick has one of my favorite vidya trailers, namely just due to how the typography is used in it.

This trailer and youtube.com/watch?v=NPwou2geTbw were great introductions to the concept of love typography.