DORF FORD :DD

what is the least painful texture pack for immersing myself in this autism

Other urls found in this thread:

dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Color_scheme
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Ascii ain't that bad, user. You'll get used to it. The wiki probably has a beginner's guide with recommendations and other useful tools. Like the rapist.

if you're a complete fucking casual, phoebus

you're honestly better off using something like a high def ascii pack

I heard that if you don't like dwarf fortress exactly as it comes or have any complaints about it or don't like it, then you're just a faggot loser casual with shit taste who needs to get good

I can dig what DF is all about and I've even managed to burn away a few afternoons on it, but I'd pay for a decent tileset and an interface that wasn't from 40 years ago.

I made my own tileset for this reason

I'd pay for making the game itself good and not an afterthought to some shitty fantasy setting generator.

and thats completely true. people will complain the game is too hard, or the UI too unintuitive which are both bullshit complaints. you learn the game by having functioning brain cells, playing the game and occasionally looking at the wiki or a starters guide. the UI complaints is what happens when people get too used to monotonously clicking shit and staring at a computer screen all day, never reading a thing. having to use the keyboard is superior in every fucking way to designate stockpiles, mine, place things, and everything else. on the menu, each function is even explained with its relevant key, so its not like you're completely fucking clueless about what shit does. all you have to do is press a fucking button, and if you're still too touchy about not having mouse controls there are addons for that shit as well. there are fucking starter packs, and complete idiot proof guides to explain all this shit to you.

wew

i would not prefer it if toady spent development time fleshing out a mouse control and "better ui scheme" just because you're a fucking retarded coon that cannot learn how to press hotkeys. the dwarf fortress community has gone out of its way to make sure that its slick dick fits nice and cozy inside your shitty fucking asshole and if you can't figure it out even with all the resources are available, you are probably mentally deficient in some way. and i wouldn't want mentally deficient people dictating the development course of the game.

read a fucking book and stop letting your brain dribble out your stupid ears.

Looks like TIDF is here.
if you fall for this bait you are retarded
I think the bigger challenge than the UI is understanding what needs to be done to build a thriving fort.

Your eyes do not make sense of the ASCII graphics immediately, but when they do, you won't regret sticking with them. It really gives the game a unique mystique that would be shat upon if you use a texture pack.

I made a retarded-massive tileset back in the day because I couldn't find a 64x64 one.

POST MAGMA CONTRAPTIONS

I love DF but I have to agree with this. It's a great game, but it's kind of stupid that it's impossible to learn to play Fortress Mode without a fucking wiki. You either do the wiki or you just fuck around for hundreds of hours and dozens of fortresses figuring out what works and what doesn't, and nobody does that. Nobody puts hundreds of hours into figuring out how to play a game, so to some degree it's a game of reading and memorizing the wiki and then moving on from that.

The single biggest challenge in DF, besides maybe forstalling FPS death, is creating a functioning military.

Making Dwarves fight something is relatively easy Getting them properly equipped is somewhat difficult. Getting them properly trained is a nightmare. Then they die and you basically start all over.

>its been years, and he actually gets even more upset in an even shorter timeframe at the mere suggestion that the dwarf fortress ui could be improved upon
what does this game do to a person that makes him want to be such a grumpy piece of shit?

Standard is best. That said, I guess it is better to start with a texture pack. But you really ought to shift back to the standard. It's like reading a book, you start to fill the gaps with your imagination instead of shitty graphics.

Only issue with UI is the military and job screens. There's a mod for half that, fortunately.
Oh, also, the new adventure mode dialogue lot. That's absolutely fucking horrible right now, and makes adv mode a massive drag.

The rest, though, functions far better than any other UI I've run across. I can do things in DF that would take me ages in any other game, and for learning it wasn't very hard since each item is labeled with the key to use.

No, the UI is good because it is faster.

It makes them feel hardcore with little to no effort. Feeling worth defending for some useless sacks of shit.

nah, its not that hard to get in to his head. what he wants is to create an isolated community because hes afraid that would be the first step on a slippery slope towards casualization, which is retarded. i bet hes against performance upgrades because anyone who "actually likes the game" would know the tricks to minimize memory load.
well there definitely effort involved. but a good ui is supposed to minimize that. its a retarded selfish stance to take that hurts not only the players but toady, the guy who gives him the game he loves.

It's less the tileset that makes things painful or not, and more the colour scheme you use with the tileset. Standard ASCII with better colours doesn't hurt my eyes, but good tilesets with standard colours still are painful.
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Color_scheme

Remove anglo, colonies strong!

I'm not a native English speaker, but for some reason I was taught British-English spelling.
NEUKEN IN DE KEUKEN

I feel like I killed Jeb and his turtles.