Roguelikes

I am looking for some cool and fun roguelikes to stop thinking about life for a moment.

How's The Pit? Tales of Maj'Eyal? Stone Soup?

Other urls found in this thread:

store.steampowered.com/app/295770/.
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

stone soup and doomrl are my favourites. if you consider FTL a roguelike that's pretty good. dungeons of dredmor is pretty silly but is also pretty good

Noted. Thanks.

My favourites are:
Binding of Isaac
Risk of Rain
Enter the Gungeon

Good post

?

You posted roguelites

store.steampowered.com/app/295770/.

Don't do it lads

You fell for the b8, m8

I have played stone soup intermittently for a few years and I still haven't beaten the fucking game. It's still excellent though.
Play Dwarf Fort adventure mode if you haven't already, it's good, although there is no end goal to it.

Has anyone mentioned Elona yet? Try Elona, the adventurer's life simulator.

Elona

You can tell for certainty that the female in this is a nigger. Only GF a programmer making 100k a year that's shot and fat can get.

Developers keep removing content and features. It's gotten to the point that I'd consider playing one of the older versions.
It recently received a new patch that added a class and rebalanced some of the weaker ones. Get prepared to instantly die to a rare sawbutcher or gunslinger after bumping in to trashmobs for 30 minutes.

Some other roguelikes to try out:

Ob boy, an excuse to post this again.

Elona is bretty good, played a bunch of Cataclysm DDA but haven't been able to get back into it, I need to play some of the other ones mentioned here.

Pit is good in concept but the animations make the game end up taking very long once you get deeper in, and you have to unlock food recipes to not starve to death and die for a majority of your playthroughs.

Cataclysm DDA, Stone soup, and DoomRL are all quite good and are already mentioned. ADOM is old but very good.

Clivan is incredibly good if you've not played it yet. Caves of Qud is incredibly good. UnReal World is fucking top tier and is still getting frequent updates after being in development for like 20 years?

AuraRL is good and was made by some ruskies, Infra arcana is good, it's a cthulhu mythos roguelike and cool as heck.

Dungeonmans is 'alright', you might like it. Wazhack has some goofy as shit graphics but it's a neat concept for a side scrolling roguelike. ToME was never that great for me, but I've got a friend that loves it to death. Elona is very in depth but if you're not a huge weeaboo you probably won't like it.

I love roguelikes but I hate hunger mechanics, so as you can see I'm in a bit of a tight spot.

Been playing a ton of ToME lately, but I can't find any other games where hunger isn't a central mechanic.
for context, I've played a shitload of Nethack, and I like it, but I'm the kind of person who likes to take their time and explore every nook and cranny, so having constant time-pressure is a turnoff

I really like the graphics, is it not enjoyable?

Please don't fucking kill me Mr. Moose.

Vagante is pretty fun, worth a look at even if early access triggers you so hard you refuse to pirate it

Only other possibilities I can think of offhand are DF Adventure Mode as a Goblin and DCSS as a Mummy. Although most Angband games will have infinite light sources and a way to cast Satisfy Hunger, which is nearly as good.
…Come to think of it, I think Dungeonmans doesn't have a hunger mechanic, or at least it didn't the last time I played it. (I dropped it a couple years ago after the dev kept nerfing everything.)

DoomRL again has no limit to how much time you waste, but then it has no natural healing.

Everyone should play it anyway since it's one of the most accomplished roguelikes gameplay-wise even if it's nowhere near perfect and there isn't exactly a high bar in the first place. Mostly due to it having the good sense to use its predictable elements and simplicity to its advantage rather than trying to make everything as unpredictable and obtuse as possible.

one way heroics is cool and fun

Nethack will always be the best tbh

I'll shill Bionic Dues. Arcen Games made it. Take up to four mechs, dig through wrecked buildings for parts, prepare to face the big bad robot overlords after a set amount of 'days' pass.

Or go play Slash'Em, the first Nethack fork that I played. Lots more race/class choices, probably completely gamebreaking combinations, pretty fun.

Man, this game is way too easy by roguelike standards. I think I honestly got to see all of the game's content within two weeks of playing. Fun, very neat concept, but not nearly enough content.

Bard best class, hands down.

I'm the only one it seems who ever shills it, but Brogue. It can be very pretty for an ASCII game, and its just the standard roguelike dungeon crawl. and its free of course

Brogue comes with a simple graphics pack, its quite nice on the eyes and not overly designed. Brogue is also a great entry level roguelike, easy to learn the concepts but difficult to master.

← is a "modern roguelike"

Its GUI is pretty bad. Try the Belzebub mod.

Good, a bit shallow compared to some other roguelikes, but very enjoyable.

Probably my favorite even if the devs have been going full retard.

Or Tchernobog for multiplayer.

If you're looking for a gateway roguelike DoomRL is pretty great.

youved play the plus version right? it adds a little more content, if thats what youre after.

How do you get good at Stone Soup?
And I mean long run good.
Especially in terms of mages and whatnot, I always end up fucking it up.
I know it must be tied to skill training but I seriously have no idea what might be the problem here, I just suck so much.

ive mentioned this enough times in other threads to probably be considered a shill at this point but someone recommended Caves of Qud to me and its pretty good

Yeah, I played the plus version. Theres very little depth to the game, once you get the basics, you almost have everything you need to complete some of the more difficult endings.

Its cute, looks nice, has nice music, but those things are all secondary characteristics, at best, in a roguelike.

If you are interested in being good with mages, don't forget to train dodging quite high, it will save your life. Fighting is decent late game for extra max hp. Diversify your spell book to some degree. Conjurations is a good backbone, then you can pick two elements to get around various resistances. If you don't have spells to get you out of trouble, remember that potions are still good for you. Potions of haste or berserk could get you running away from trouble in a pinch. Light armor can be useful, too, if you are playing a race with a decent armor modifier.

Pick the right god for what you want to do. It matters. Both of the gods that give you access to more spells are viable, be weary about other gods that will have you train invocations to use reliably, thats exp you cannot devote to your spell capabilities.

If you can't find a good staff, finding a decent weapon will work in a pinch too. A weapon with electric or defensive stats is worth wielding. Some players learn basic weapon fighting skills in order to have a back up if they run out of mp in a fight. If you're raising fighting for the max hp, you won't need a lot of a weapon skill to help you deal with popcorn.

Always, always, always control what skill you are training at all times. Pre-emptive training of skills can help you get ready for mid/late game. It helps to be reactive, too, in case you find a spellbook you weren't planning for, a decent weapon you might want to use, or an evocation item that is strong.

lel so randumb xD

you have been recommending this a little bit too much