The Witcher

I barely played 1 and 2, how long is each game, how fast can it be finished with all the content, I heard some mixed things on each of them, if I could only play one which should it be.

fuck off

it'll take a bit of a while

you fuck off

1 is 30-40 hours, 2 is 20-30.

I'm gonna say 30 - 50 hours per game, maybe sooner or later, depending on if you complete all the side quests or whatever. No more than 80 hours, tops, unless you're really fucking slow.

3 > 1 > 2

You'll put in more time with 3, about 70+ hours including the expansions.

W1 is like 30 hours but some people can take up to 70 due to extreme autism.
W2 is maybe 15 hours, 20 if you do both sides.
I stopped playing W3 once I got to skellige due to boredum but that's about halfway I think and I'm at 53 hours in that

What exactly do you mean by "all content?" Both games have major and minor story twists based on how you handled previous dialogue. Does that count towards "content" or are we talking about just the normal content you'd encounter on a single, normal playthrough?

You'd need to play Witcher 2 at least twice to get both of the main story paths (Iorveth's path and Roche's path). I think I beat Witcher 2 in about 15 hours my first playthrough, and that was doing most (but not all) of the sidequests, so I guess count on about 30-35 hours if you do both story paths and most of the sidequests.

The first game will take longer on a single playthrough. If you want to do all of the sidequests it'll probably take you a good 45-50 hours or so. It's been a long time since I played the original, but I don't think there are any major story branches like there are in 2. You do get different cutscenes and combat encounters based on how you handled earlier parts of the game, but nothing as drastic as 2's story branching unless you count the decision on who to leave the brat with to be on that same level (I don't).

Each game's story is almost entirely self-contained, so you don't need to worry about missing too much in a sequel if you didn't play the earlier ones. You won't have as much connection to the recurring characters, but that's about it. There's barely any reference in a single game's story to any of the others. That said, I think they're all good or decent in their own ways, so you should probably play them all. But if you're only going to play one of them…I guess the original? It's clunky and some of the areas (the fucking swamp) are awful, but for some reason it has a charm to it that I didn't get out of either of the sequels.

1 > 3 > 2 There are some compelling arguments that 3 is actually inferior to 2 but either way do 1 first.
That said if you've got a low attention span the swamps in 1 will probably kill your enthusiasm (shame really as the parts afterwards are great). Time to finish it can vary pretty majorly depending how slowly you personally like to play and if you play on a higher difficulty (prepping potions and shit becomes more important and therefore so does ingredient gathering). For a first time playthrough on a reasonable difficulty and assuming you do as much of the side content as you can 35 hours minimum, potentially up to 45.

I beat hard mode Twitcher1 without even using all that many potions except Swallow and the occasional Tawny Owl. Shit was fucking broken by the time I beat Giganigga and maxed out Igni Spam.

I've heard the first game is considerably easier if you focus on signs over melee. Which I've never done in any of the games.

Signs are easiest in the first two games, but in the third alchemy is the best skill tree by a long shot.

Igni was outright broken in W1 so I suppose you can knock 5 hours off of the minimum playtime if you play that way: I've avoided using it in subsequent playthroughs and it makes things more enjoyable.

On that note I find a lot of the better RPGs will have certain builds be overpowered as fuck, I suspect the it comes with the freedom the player has to be given if you want the game to really shine.

If you wanna go through and get all the endings in Witcher 3, you're either in for a world of save scumming or 200+ hours.

There's only really three main endings Ciri becomes a witcher, she dies, or she becomes empress

I always found it a little odd that the only way to save Ciri was to spoil her goddamned rotten and treat her like a 5 year old.

I never read the books but it seems a little contrary to Geralt's character as shown in the games.

Sorry user but pandering to bookfags takes precedence.

Casual fag detected

It's actually the opposite and helping her feel better in ways that she would appreciate as well as letting her handle things like an adult like facing the Lodge by herself.

Part of it is psychology and part of it is Geralt being a proper parent.

Why am I only to treat her like an adult when it comes to the Lodge? Why am I supposed to indulge a grown-ass woman in a snowball fight when she throws a tantrum about how hard her training is? And why am I supposed to just let her pointlessly throw a destructive rampage in a lab just because the elf she traveled with had a completely understandable and vested interest in her past and abilities above all else?

The only decision I don't have a problem with is going back to find the grave of the man who helped her escape. Most of the other situations just made it seem like treating her as a petulant child was the best option.

being an adult doesn't mean no fun allowed
why shouldn't you have fun with your surrogate daughter?
who gives a shit about some knife ear's laboratory?

The point about saving Ciri is something she beats in to you constantly. Everyone wants something from her. Everybody wants her to do what they want from her. Nobody ever lets Ciri be herself, and choose for herself, and make her own decisions or anything.
She says this repeatedly.
So how do you save her? By being the parent that lets her make her own decisions, even if they are stupid, and supporting her no matter what. So she chucks a shit because training is hard, let her blow off some steam how she wants instead of getting drunk because that's what Geralt would do in that situation. So she's mad at the knife-ear, let her wreck his shit in a childish tantrum instead of telling her not to be emotional.
Saving Ciri is about letting her make her own decisions so that, in the end, she decides to come back to you.

how does ciri kill the white frost?

1 is 20-40 alright, you can rush it and complete the main quest fairly quickly for a RPG-lite
2 is a game more like Alpha Protocol or Mass Effect yet you have far less choices, it's done in 15. This is the most consoled of the 3, completely skip it if you can. It's like Serious Sam 2, but worse. However there is the ultimate waifu in here you can't fuck and must kill.
3 can either be 20 or 60 depending on how much you want to do.
still none of these are RPGs.

There are no waifus you can fuck. You just watch/direct Geralt fuck them like a cuck. Anyone that plays RPGs with a pre-defined MC is a massive cuckold.

sex

Oh, boy. They're long, long. Fucking hundreds of hours long.

Fuck the sequels. If you're only going to invest time in one of them, definitely make it the first one. Steam says I have 60 hrs. in it, but I know the single play through only took me around 40-45. The other times my computer was rebelling against running it reasonably and I dropped it like 5 times.

Fuck off you fag, I work my back off 12 hours a day and still played the games.
Sure it took me about a month in 30min-60min chunks, but it was worth it.
I mean, you know you can pause it? It's a single player game.

I played Witcher 1 a long time ago and had a good time, but it had that kind of empty feeling that you get from playing a bioware game around the same time. It's well written but I didn't really like the story that much either, but that's mostly just my preference I think.

Witcher 2 is really good. My first playthrough was 32 hours, but if you like it you'll want to do a second playthrough so you can see the other story branch. Combat isn't as open as I'd like so I used the Rise of the Sword mod in a recent playthrough, which made the combat more fun but ridiculously easy. I also liked the story of this one more than the other two because it's more politics and murder than magic and stuff.

Witcher 3 is also really good. It's a huge game so it'll take a while to get through all the content, but overall it's the most mechanically fun of all of them. It feels a little bit like a "standard sandbox game" but it's well executed so I still enjoyed it. Overall it's a really great game.

If you could only play one, choose either Witcher 2 or Witcher 3 based on how much you like open world games

>This level of projecting bait

Wew

How the fuck do you live user

Seems perfect for roguelikes.

It's got a save function user, it's the perfect way to play.
Except for one thing: never EVER stop for more than two days or you'll lose the thread of whatever you were doing.

It's like watching episodes of a drawn out drama series two scenes at a time, stretching small 40 minute plots out over weeks
Just because you can pause doesn't make it right

2 is a pretty short game if you ignore the sidequests, put the difficulty to normal, and upgrade your dodge roll as early as possible so you can move faster. Chapter 1 can go by fairly quickly if you focus on the main plot, Chapter 2 is long and annoying, Chapter 3 is ridiculously short. The gameplay is kinda shit so I actually suggest putting it on easy.

1 will probably take you a while though, but you can make it go by faster if you ignore the sidequests and use cheats so you don't have to worry about being underleveled. And then mod the game to increase your speed so you spend less time running around.

I still suggest you actually play through the first 2 games normally at least once though. It'll get you more attached to Geralt by the time you play the third game.

Witcher 1 took me about 50 hours and that was doing pretty much all of the sidequests and probably 90% of the random monster hunts which barely count as content and can easily be passed up on without missing anything significant.
Witcher 2 took me about 30 hours, again doing all the sidequests, but probably closer to 25 since I went back and redid some stuff.
Witcher 3 I'm only probably 1/2 to 2/3rds of the way through, doing all the random side shit I can, and I'm at 56 hours.
If I had to pick just one to play I would probably say Witcher 2 because aside from the ending which is rushed it's a very straightforward and enjoyable story with good-enough gameplay. Being the shortest also means if you aren't enjoying it but want to commit to finishing you won't be stuck on it for too long.

I just wanted her to fuck off and leave me plow wenches in peace. Also the fuck is with all the space marine elves?

I just wanted to fug the entire family but Ciri is artificially off limits for ploughing.

If you are going to play witcher series you should take your time and concentrate and not rush it. If you are going to play it just so you have played it don't bother, wait and play it when you have lots of time and interest.

holy shit, i can understand why you were bored, you must have done every single throwaway sidequest in the earlier content. Skellige is a level 20-30 area. What were you when you got there, like 50?

I wanted to, but like 3/4ths of them were a good 20 levels higher than me and impossible. Loaded up the save to see what level I was and it said 21, with a quest log chock full of level 30-something quests
Why would you even let me take quests if you know I won't be able to do them for 20 hours? Do it like World of Goyim and only give them when you're at that level
I haven't played in like 6 months, but from what I remember like a third of the game was managing what quests to do next since the log was full of shit I couldn't do

I recently finished the first game, it took me a week to complete, because I have to do other things as well, so that would be about 20-30 hours, but that's also because I played it a long time ago up until the middle of chapter 3, so I knew what to do in chapter 2, especially with in the swamp to do most quests in 3-4 travels(I am sure it can be done even more efficiently). If you don't know what to do in the swamp it might take another 10 hours or so.

I am playing W2, right now and holly shit the interface is horrible, why can't I use the numbers on the keyboard to select responses like in 1? Why can't I press Escape to exist the conversation? Why can't I use the numbers on the keyboard to select the spells(you can only quick cast them) like in 1? Why do I have to use a half of a circle to select a sum of money, instead of a simple left to right line like in 1? I know most of these questions can be answered, because of consoles, but how hard was it for them to add extra functionalities for buttons, something that was in the first game? Skimming through the wiki, there are less quests in the second one than in the first, so just like people said itt the second one is shorter. Anyway, the combat is different, but I am not entirely sure if it's better than the first. S
Are there any good mods for the second game, especially something for the interface or maybe even for the combat to make it more strategic, instead of the button smasher that it is?

Because the first Witcher was designed around being a PC game only.

I even said in my post that most of these questions can be answered, because of consoles, but how hard was it for them to implement extra functions for buttons? At least let me select the desired spell using the keyboard, instead of selecting the next one or bring up the wheel menu. Also quite laughable is that the Tab key isn't recognized when setting the controls(I wanted to use it to put away your weapon like in 1), or maybe it's just my PC.

Don't bother man, the gameplay is garbage. If you think you want to experience the story then just read the fucking books.

the quest log shows em in red, yeah, but my question is why give them to you when you're drastically lower in the first place? Taking on a level 35 enemy, no matter how skilled you are, is going to be either a giant bitch or take an extremely long time while you chip away at it with your 2 damage hits, just seems pointless to me to give the quest that early

Taking on a level 35 enemy at level 15*

I hate that shit so much. If you're going to let the player import shit, let the player import shit. Don't just start shit over again at Level 1 like a dipshit. There is literally no defense for how these games handled save importing.

Slavs?

Snownigger incompetency isn't a defense.