Space Thread:Free Space Edition

Welcome Captains, Admirals and Emperors to another space thread

What are you

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=aeJr5gf1_4s
drewwagar.com/lore/elite-dangerous-lore-the-thargoids/
humblebundle.com/intergalactic-bundle
escapistmagazine.com/news/view/170150-StarCraft-Brood-War-is-Now-Free#&gid=gallery_7234&pid=1
battle.net/download/getInstallerForGame?os=WIN&version=LIVE&gameProgram=STARCRAFT
eu.blizzard.com/en-gb/company/legal/eula.html
forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=239498
fractalsoftworks.com/2017/04/
docs.google.com/document/pub?id=1oCuBXSZHol7OCZW8iFadOC5grxD1yGAWYhjqcUyCcNY
moddb.com/mods/endless-sky-the-final-frontier
forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/347497-Generation-Ship-quot-Venusian-quot
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

HM..I recognize that. The GTJ Ameratsu or somethin'

I'm kinda-sorta making the 3rd part of my FS campaign. Playing Shdow Genesis..or something like that. Been on hold for 2-3 weeks, so I'm not sure.

UV mapping an entire capital ship and making the textures is a lot of fucking work. Fighters/bombers are easier.

Good shit.

One of the best jumpscares in computergame history.

How about some space horror?

Anyone keen on ED lore to realize the relevance of this?

youtube.com/watch?v=aeJr5gf1_4s

For those trips I'll tell you exactly what it is. Are you ready? Prepared? Set?

2.4 is aliens nigga

does alien have puss puss?

They're ant aliens.

Goddamn I love Cataclysm. The first time I played it I had no idea what was coming.

Don't forget it's confirmed all Thargoids are female and insectoid based from Ammonia worlds.

I'm not sure all thargoids are female, but at the very least males are extremely rare.

FUGGIN PADRIAGEE!

I FUCKING KNEW IT!

According to Drew Wager official writer for Elite Thargoids are exclusively female. Since Thargoids are also an aggressive subspecies of whatever insect things they are. The males could be found in other subspecies. All the ingame encounters so far have not been with Thargoids anyway as Thargoids are supposed to be the purge anything moving on sight kind of alien.

drewwagar.com/lore/elite-dangerous-lore-the-thargoids/

Right, that's it. I guess there's a breeding subspecies as well or something.

The best spess game(s) just got updated again today, nearly 9 years after release. Why are you not playing X3 right now?

I never really got in to the X games, the cheesy Slav-ness of them put me off. Should I start with AP or TC?

TC for sure. AP is chronologically first (released after TC, but it's a prequel), but TC has far more content. Treat it like an insanely in-depth, almost simulator-tier version of Freelancer, and you'd be on the right track. If you can channel your autism into figuring out the UI and understanding the base gameplay, you're in for an incredible ride.

Thanks, I'll give it another shot then. Rebel Galaxy is fun but too arcadey and simple for me.

X4 when?

Even better when you actually get into fights, you feel the desperation of each battle.

It took me two tries before I "got" it, because jesus fucking christ is that learning curve STEEP, but when I did, I sunk nearly 200 hours into a single playthrough.

Maybe 2018 and then actually playable by 2020.

Come on user, they surely learned from their mistakes… next game will be good… right?

what's the best spess ship setup
energy weapons/nukes/bullets?
shields/armor?

- Rockets/Missles/Nukes/Torpedos are useless since the game release. Even the devs admitted it…
- Shields beat Hull armor. For the "A" panels use Shield Capacitors.
- An early game spawn as much corvette-destroyer as much you can. Later go for the X-weapon tier Battleships. The X-tier weapons are pretty balanced, so use them bravely.
- Best weapon setup? Plasma, disruptors, flak. Anything which has health like rockets/nukes/torpedos/missles and fighters/bombers are fucking waste of time!
- Final advice: Death Stacks the only way to win battles, and they technically kill the game "strategy" section.

So do Thargoids abduct humans and rape them for their seed?

whats some spess games with involved combat, and not just rock/paper/scissors/dollars/science ?

Freespace.

stellaris is rock only
just make sure to have more rocks than the enemy
with shields
i think there were a few star trek games where you had interesting combat, but i think you usually only control one ship

Non shit games.

I don't know how this happened, but a ship 400m km away rammed one of my frigates and destroyed it. I'm thinking a bug. Also, the enemy civilian fleet is fighting back.

Has anybody even attempted to make another horror RTS in space? Or even another horror game that isn't a third person or walking simulator in space? Cataclysm wasn't original, its unique.

Reposting for a user last thread

Gal Civ 1 Ultimate edition for free on humble bundle

humblebundle.com/intergalactic-bundle

Starcraft and Broodwar are now free

escapistmagazine.com/news/view/170150-StarCraft-Brood-War-is-Now-Free#&gid=gallery_7234&pid=1

Link is below the pics, couldn't just pick that for you guys because as soon as i touch it it gives me a prop to download it.

battle.net/download/getInstallerForGame?os=WIN&version=LIVE&gameProgram=STARCRAFT

How free? As in just download and play or download our shitty online service to be able to download the game?

When i click the link it asks me if i want to download starcraft-setup.exe.
I think it's just the game.

No, wait, nevermind, looks like you do need a battlenet account.

Sorry for getting your hopes up.

THREADLY REMINDER TO ELITE CMDRs
THE 8TH IMPERIALS HAVE EXPANDED TO NORTES, SO CHANNEL SOME AUTISM INTO HELPING THEM

Im downloading it now, gonna post more if i actually have to download the battlenet launcher for this.
But at least the EULA said i need an account in order to use this game.

eu.blizzard.com/en-gb/company/legal/eula.html

I guess I will just pirate it, after all they are giving it (((free))).
Also dont update it to the last pacht, its shit.

Why? What did they do in the latest patch?

Right, finished downloading, looks like it didn't install battlenet launcher, just the game.
Id like to ask someone without a battlenet account to dl it and see if it works even without an account.

I've heard Elite Dangerous described as Euro Truck sim in space. Is this an apt description?
I feel the combat demo is a bit wonky with mouse and keyboard, does it get better in the full game? Do I need a flight stick?
Basically, is it worth my dosh?

Or is there a better game I should be looking at?

See

Yes. Never make a complicated game for consoles.

Расмешил содомит.

rip marine

any mods recommended for TC?

Wish I could have seen the faces on those station traffic controllers as my smoking heap made it to the landing pad.

If you have 1 or more HP left, you are doing just fine. No need to worry.

More ships like this please. A big gun in space

Nah all previous known interactions with Thargoids have been hostile.
Doesn't mean there isn't a subspecies that does

Freespace Thread huh? Time for webms.

How do you feel about revolvers?

I really need to sort out my webm folder.

The official 'Bonus Package' forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=239498 is highly recommended.

Hello everyone, I played a lot of Namco space related games back in the day and I particularly enjoyed Bosconian, are there modern arcady games like the original Namco games but with deeper mechanics? I am not so great at finding games.

Please do not play aurora4x with an onscreen keyboard.

Space Pirates and Zombies might scratch that itch.

I'll Google this, I assume it's a modern game?

I wish there was more revolver ships.

Modern top-down 2D spess combat game.

They are filth to look at and should be spoilered like ships with revolving sections

Outlaw Star seems like it could be the setting to a very comfy space game.

my keyboard died on me after a decade

I've looked into it and it seems a lot more complicated than the games I normally play but I'll give it a shot. I might need a stronger computer.

It has a surprising amount of depth for an action game, yes. Essentially it's the modern evolution of those old top-down arcade spess games. The sequel is trash, but the original is great. As for the system requirements, assuming your PC isn't 10+ years old, it should be fine.

Starsector just dropped a new massive update that overhauls pretty much the whole damn game less than an hour ago.

fractalsoftworks.com/2017/04/

Its a 2d top down space shooter with lots of ships, guns, mods (modder scene is insane and surprisingly not autistic) and has a 4x/mount n blade kind of map + hyperspace between star systems.

You can also trade, salvage, collect bounties, and do trade missions of questionable legality running a hold of hot guns and drugs past a hegemony picket fleet is bullshit hard but worth it

It's real good, the dev isn't a retard, and updates semi-annually with loads of new features and is virtually bug-free. I bought it years ago and its paid for itself many times over.

I've been checking the forums for this update for weeks, thanks for the post

Is it time user?, did boarding get an overhaul?

I think they want to get rid of boarding all together, not sure if they've done anything to it in this patch though

Please no, Why does every game with boarding either never comes true or it's terrible RNG of some sort.

Ship recovery after battles is a thing, you can choose from a list of disabled ships with varying degrees of success based on skills and available equipment.

I just got a Lasher from a small pirate scouting party with it on the first try. No marines or crew boarding.

Salvage isn't the same as taking an enemy ship mid-battle and turning it against them.

I know, but at least you might not have to savescum a hundred times to get an Afflictor

You understand user

Just entered Hyperspace and hit tab.

Holy shit the Kuun-Lan getting infested still haunts me.

New Starsector version? This game already has more gmaeplay than Elite Dangerous. There goes my week-end.

I need alcohol for this

The Tempest got nerfed like crazy
Fighters also got a heavy nerfing weaponswise. Broadswords are no longer the go-to fighter since it lost the swarmers.

My favorite ship reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee~

It was a bit overpowered. As long as its still stupidly fast you can outmaneuver almost anything aside from afflictors and hyperions (so 99% of anything you might find)

Ion Pulser is a really good weapon though, I maybe found 2 in the whole time since the last update and they just shit all over anything once the shields are down. A quick spray from an Ion Pulser and that entire side of a ship is EMP'd to hell.

any foss linux space games? is this game free and for linux?

OH SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT

I've been waiting for fucking ever for this update…

docs.google.com/document/pub?id=1oCuBXSZHol7OCZW8iFadOC5grxD1yGAWYhjqcUyCcNY

NEVER EVER

(full house'd)
Early game is still a real fucker until you get a few extra frigates under your command, the map is bullshit huge now, theres automated drones, black holes(!) and a new faction. Couple new ships too.

Protip, don't try and orbit/approach one. DEFINITELY don't run out of fuel in hyperspace near one.

You wont be dragged in, but you WILL be dragged onto the black hole's event horizon and lose CR and supplies at a frightening rate. You will have to do an emergency/sustained burn to escape its gravity well. I would imagine your fleet would eventually be torn apart by the hostile conditions.

They don't look as cool as Tasserus in the Exigency mod though

Nice dubs

very beautiful endowments blessed upon you by God my friend!

SPACE ISRAEL WANTS YOU TO BE THEIR GREATEST ALLY

lumeris still 2stronk

Such a quandary, This game has proper black holes but terrible boarding mechanic. When will hit the space game bingo for me

I like the Covenant ships more aesthetically, but I always loved that most human ships in Halo were mostly just giant space cannons.

I've been waiting for 0.8

Might to a let's play here, after some adjustments

That is some major league autism there. Pulsar Lost Colony Mod when?

Freespace. X-Wing and TIE Fighter. Wing Commander. Wing Commander Saga (a standalone total conversion for Freespace 2 Open).

Believe it or not, there was a time when space games weren't all open-world economic simulators.

The Behemoth. Actually described by a character in the game as "the biggest gun in the universe".

Stop watching ObsidianAnt.
And "We're working on it" is the only answer anyone "keen on lore" can give you.

FOR YOU!

Space war vehicle that is build around one giant spinal gun is pretty much the only design that could make any sense in addition of the glorified missile automated drones.

And they are really sexy.

Did the Star Wars Galaxy group crash with no survivors? I wanted to join as a Hutt prostitute.

What's wrong with ant? I only play the game off and on so I'm probably missing quite a bit. Polotik wise I have no idea what's happening with all the factions other than everyone hates the feds.

He does criticize the game but he is incredibly soft with it and only mentions problems without any real stance or opinion of his own. Clearly not harsh or scathing enough for Anons taste.

Well give me the fucking basement dweller commentator for ED and I'll give him a listen as long as he doesn't come off as a sperg burglar.

I'm already familiar with the game's flaws, I don't need a video filled with pissing and moaning. I was just looking for relevant information on the story.

Frontier and Sandro couldn't design their way out of a paper bag. What they did to ED should be criminal. Too bad old dads on the forum give them the impression they are doing well.

Can you do anything with empty planets besides survey them?

Munificent Standing By!

I heard about another exploit happening at Quince with passenger missions. I did some searching and all I could come up with was that the missions only had you go maybe a few jumps away? It came up because people were bitching about others cheesing their way to elite explorer. Am I missing something, or are people just doing short missions? I can't tell anymore with ED because every time something happens people just whine that it's an exploit.

so go there and complain about everything wrong with the game in a constructive manner

you only have to go to one of the beacons that's really close to the station if I recall correctly, even if the mission tells you to go to another beacon

Apparently we can build outposts on them one day. Considering the update schedule, that feature will come out 2020.

LoL! Sounds just like the planet scan missions there. Planet's like 10 seconds away, takes about 4 mins to do.

It's another scan missions. Fill up a dolphin/asp/conda/orca with eco rooms and stack passenger missions then go to a beacon to complete them in one go.

Endless Sky is free, open source, and available for linux (and windows and mac)

I'd been jonsin' for (another) EV clone, and it's certainly that.

Don't forget that it has mod support, though a big issue with mods is that they tend to fuck over the faction colors so everything ends up with the same faction color if you are running mods that add ships.

Here's a Star Trek mod that adds a bunch of trek ships and weapons moddb.com/mods/endless-sky-the-final-frontier the trek ships tend to end up being very OP due to less crew required compared to vanilla ships

Guess I'll give it a look see. Think an asp would be good? I guess the others would be as well. Just take them forever to get out there.

A note on that our influence in Wheemez has dropped a ton from expansion. We're currently sitting at 15% so any help to push that up would be nice.

No Eurotruck Simulator is better.

Any latest working crack for Starsector? The one I found for 0.8aR18 (no mods or anything) gives me this error:

8062 [Thread-4] ERROR com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain - java.lang.NullPointerException
java.lang.NullPointerException
at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.accidents.A.o00000(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain.main(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher$1.run(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Keep your dosh user, it's barely even a game. You're better off with Evochron or Starsector.

So any good Rebel Galaxy Mods?

First of rumored generation ships has been found in the Alaunus system about ~50lys from earth. If you wanna have a look go to the 10th planet in Alaunus and then fly towards the Horae system for roughly 22,000lys. It will popup in your nav panel when you're within 1000lys so keep your eye on it.
The webm includes the 5 audio logs found at the site so spoiler warning if you wanna head out and listen to them yourself.

Last time I checked, nope

What is the bet the ship is full of zombies?

Nah, likely plague just killed everyone.

I have an idea for one but it'll take too much effort to implement.

Shame, space zombies sound actually surprisingly fun.

Like 99% of mod projects? :^)

fuck I meant 22,000 light seconds not light years.

(checked)

I swear, the E:D community is like the DSP of game communities.

"whaddaya meeen that I'll get murdered if I fly an unshielded T9 to a Community Goal? THAT'S STUUUUPID EKEKEKEKEKE"

Well fuck.
Terrible time to realize I deleted my document of hoarded legit keys for starsector some time ago.
Now I'm trying a file recovery from a harddrive backup last month, hope the thing is in there.

Do the cracks still make RNG go crazy? Might just say fuck the file recovery if they don't.

That's mainly my reason for avoiding the game, the community seems like shit.
We will never get a group together to purge the universe of infection

Eh, if you don't go to the forums, you'll never meet 99% of the community, outside of maybe a few hotspots in the galaxy. And when you do meet them, it's fun blowing up dumb niggers who think their unshielded trader ships are invincible.

I'll give you a key, but only if the file recovery fails.

The community in the forums is cancer, the rest is alright. But if one wants to try to change something and tell fdev the retarded choices they're making they're gonna have to drudge through the forums or else fdev will only listen to the dads and the game will never be good.

Just finished recovery on the last two months, not in there either. Have no idea what happened to it.
I hope you don't go posting your bought key user, the dev will deactivate keys he occasionally finds being shared.

I've been hunting pirate degenerates in the outlying system while surveying too. According to Alex, the dev, surveying is almost completely placeholder right now, he's not even sure if survey data will stay in, those bring up mad dosh on the black market. Also I don't know if it is a bug but my universe is always at war, taking an Hegemony Commission is (or any other) is suicide. This sucks because I want a Legion.

Remove Remnants

Taking a commission is also the easiest way to make money and to get access to bigger ships.
Funny thing about the new starsector version, I spend practically all my time in sustained burn mode.

So whatever happened to that Holla Forums squadron? Did they ever do the Babylon 5 Campaign ending at the Battle of the Line?

I'm still early-midgame. I have small fleet and couldn't stand being at war with everyone with an hegemony commission. My biggest ship is an Eagle and a Mora. At first I thought sustained mode had a fuel penalty but then I realized it is because you go way faster so it checks out. So now I am always in sustained burn mode too. Transverse jump is incredibly useful too, it would be nice if the autopilot could use it too.

The thing has been derelict for 800 years so there is every chance the ayylamo microorganism has died out. Especially if it spread fast it probably chewed through human cells faster then anything here on earth. Although in saying that it managed to stay dormant and alive on a leftover asteroid for possibly millions of years.
Also the thing is roughly 28,000ls away from the system star, considering it's size it would probably take longer then the rest of the game's life to tow it back to the sun at any considerable speed. Unless they manage to strap a witchdrive engine to the back of it..

Did you drive the Freighter of Peace through Sindrian territory yet Holla Forums?

But being at war with everyone is the best way to get money, supplies and new ships.
Must be a bad habit I picked up from earlier versions of Starsector.

How the FUCK does a space ship with air scrubbers and air-tight sections get completely infected with a virus?

Some sci-fi things really go on my nervers - like a million year old artifacts/ships still working (despite everything man-made usually rotting in 100-300 years, with only stone remaining) or magical viruses.

Jews made the Starship.

what game is this? somehow it reminds me of cortex command for some reason.

Air scrubbers wouldn't necessarily be designed to filter out viri and on a big generation ship like that, security protocols like putting people exposed to weird shit in quarantine might have gone the way of the dodo.
Once the virus starts spreading through the ships population, it will bypass any airlocks and attempts to seal of their life support to the infected areas and by the time anyone in charge realises how fucked they are, the contagion may well have spread beyond their ability to contain.

This, if you listen to the webm they initially thought it was just a strain of influenza that had been picked up before departure and realized to late what it actually was.

Question for all of you anons out there.
Which way of docking do you prefer?

I prefer one and three, though it's completely dependent on ship size. Ferries which attach to exterior bulkheads and airlocks would be least dangerous alternative if you're moving stuff between ships or a station. A pressurized hangar wouldn't be practical for anything bigger than a three-man ship, but it's cool so I like it.

Depends on what you need.
Ferries and shuttles are fine for moving a handful of personel and small cargo around at a time, but it would take ages to rotate the crew of an imperial stardestroyer off that thing with nothing but those cute little 3 winged shuttles they have (lambda class or something like that?)
Docking tubes would likely be far more effecient for moving large numbers of crew and cargo onto a ship.
Pressurized docks would be useful for repairing damaged ships, conducting maintenance overhauls and the like, where you need to have people crawling all over the inside and outside of the ship. Its easier and safer for the personnel working on the ship if they don't have to worry about decompressing a section of the ship every time they have to access a hatch.

And as said, size is also a big factor.

That shit is spooky as fuck

Starsector

Anything but a transporter. *I* should be the one who arrives, not a clone who thinks he's me.

I love when they find an artifact from a dead ayylium civilization and it just works
Or when some capsule opens when it detects the MC and he finds a qt alien inside and become friends

Why not? Not every civilization in universe uses jewish tricks such as planned obsolescence.

Bingo. Mostly because you can depressurize your side and then open the door to blow them and yourself the fuck up for emergency escapes. Plus the slow and precise approach for docking adds a level of tension and apprehension.
For giant ships and flying fortress stations, the pressurized berth is best though. Something built to hold many different sizes and classes of ships and have engineering equipment and crews pour over docked ships while being completely protected inside the fortress's hull.

Docking if there are no aliens.
Shuttle craft if aliens are a thing. Aliens may not have docking tubes so shuttlecraft work at any time.
Ideally you can do both.
Ideally you of course also remove xenos.

That only happens on rare occasions

You seem to be an idiot.

How can you know the difference?
That "you" where disintegrated on one pad and that you are not the one arriving on the other pad?
How do you know that the original you hasn't been disintegrated and the you that is here now is just a clone?
This whole question can quickly turn into some "how do you know you are not just a robot programmed to think its human" style shit about how you can be certain your memories are real and you didn't just spontaneously sprang into existance 1 second ago with all the memories of having lived a life until now as part of the package.

I'm so terrified to go to sleep at night knowing a clone of me will wake up in the morning, or be knocked unconscious with the knowledge that an exact copy will take my place who believes they're me. Or god forbid receive general anesthesia or take drugs with a psychoactive effect which guarantee that my consciousness will be interrupted thereby ending my subjective experience forever.

Dumbass.

And let me just preempt your inevitable reply by reminding you that people have been medically dead for several minutes with no brain activity and who were resuscitated, so unless you're willing to believe that all those people are actually in some way different entities but that my previous examples inexplicably don't cause subjective death too then I think the case is closed on this one. A scientific interpretation of consciousness resolves this conundrum.

The clone won't know the difference. You will though since you'll be fucking dead.

Except during your sleep you're not completely deconstructed. Unless there is a way to transfer consciousness along as well, you're killed and a perfect double is constructed. They will live on as if nothing happened but your soul, or whatever, will have ceased to exist. Therefore, you've died.

No it absolutely does not user. It's still the same brain and body that is resuscitated. Again, unless the conscious is transferred, not simply reconstructed, then it's not a mere clone but you. Everything else is a clone.
Get your fucking head out of your ass.

What a day.

damn user where did you find those quads

I've had better, although I've not had that many eights before. My lucky day.

The one where the ship opens up and you come in
I did it on some autistic private creative space engineers, shame the game is in early access hell and survival not being shit doesn't seem like it's gonna happen anytime soon.

How can the development of Star Sector be so slow? How can they afford it? It's not even a patreon scam, so there is no steady cash flow.

Ultimately none, unless you're not talking in spaceships. Even in real life aircraft combat before lock on missiles and the death of dogfighting was nothing but "whose machine can turn better?"

But a teleporter makes the exact same brain and body, down to the last neuron, when you are teleported. There is no difference in the hardware or the software, so where is the difference that makes it not you?

Are you afraid your immortal soul isn't copied so you'll be banned from heaven or something equally idiotic?

It's made by two people, a coder and an artist/writer. The coder has made references to being the dev of Dredmor before so I suspect he does other games on the side for money to fund this game.

I've been asking myself the same question. So far Starsector has been free of ks and patreon pozz. Alex and the other devs are very active in the forums and don't promise what they can't deliver. They are the antithesis of other shit developpers like FDEV and Cloud Imperium. Add to that mod capabilities.

It's been a while I've done java but I might try modding it a little.

Is this bait?

Let's make a perfect clone, right this instant. He is perfect.
He will think he is me, because he basically is. But I can't experience his conscience. Although he is 100% identical to me, he isn't me.
How are you not getting this? There is no guarantee that a transporter would actually transport you. It merely copies you. That's not you though. Your consciousness is gone the moment you're beamed.
A "me" will continue to live, as if nothing happened. Not me though. i'll have perished.
Mind you, Holla Forums is not suited for people below the age of 18, please consider leaving or lurking more.

Mandate is dead. Diaspora 2 is probably dead. Homeworld is dead. 3D space rts are dead.

Boarding actions or ship damage modelling will never be improved.

Star Citizen despite it's early stages boasts somewhat detailed ship damage. Major parts such as wings or nacelles can be blasted off and different damage types results in different effects. The fps meme they introduced as well will and currently allows you to board and storm the larger ships or hide and stow away in the back of them.

Considering that you seem can't seem to wrap your head around the philosophical problem of defining who you are, you should be more careful with those insults…
The brain you have, is not the one you where born with. The molecules in your neurons replace themselves over your life. You are not the same hardware you where 7 years ago.
So how does this switch of hardware fundamentally differ from what nature does gradually over time?
How can you be certain your entire existance didn't end a few seconds ago, and you are now only a copy of yourself with the originals memories?
Just because you think you have one constant conciousness reaching back to when you where born, it doesn't mean this is true.
Basic logic dictates YOU, your concept of self and sense of individuality, is merely a single facet of a biological computer program running on a biological computer. It is theoretically possible to duplicate or move this program to another biological computer and run it there, and it would never be able to tell.
The problem is that you seem to think your conciousness is somehow separate from your body and mind, and somehow cannot be copied.
Hence the comment on souls.
Now do you actually have any arguments for your case other than "I feel this is the way it must be, screw logic"?

Is it our fault for dreaming to highly user?, All we wished to do was simply bring the fight to the enemy and capture their ships and turn it against them.

If that game can actually pull it off I'll be truly grateful

Can both of you fags stop arguing about this or take it somewhere else?, Because all you guys are going to do is keep going around in circles with each other whiles crapping up one of the last decent threads in Holla Forums

I'm with that user. Now let's talk about how the Cardassians did nothing wrong and the so-called Bajoran massacre was a hoax used by the (((Federation))) to get a foothold in that sector.

Fuck you both. This argument is interesting.

No user, I was completely right in insulting you the way I did.

I'm a sucker though, so I'll bite.
Sure, the body regenerates itself constantly so the individual parts are constantly being replaced. They are replaced in tiny amounts. It's kind of like a machine having parts replaced. It still retains its functions and is, in essence, the same machine.
Now, you have a blueprint for a machine and can replicate it perfectly. While identical, it's not the original machine. Just a replica.
if you take a body, scan it and destroy it completely, then replicate it somewhere else, you don't get yourself. You get a copy of yourself. It will experience life as if nothing changed. You on the other hand, are dead.
Sure, someone who will do what you wanted to do will still exist, not you though.
If you think that a transfer like that == you, then a clone is you too.

Strangely enough, there is a game that tackles a subject like that. Embed related.

I'll refrain from answering any further, should he not concede. Sorry for the semi-digression.

The federation is a bunch of fucking commies and the Bajoran were in the wrong. You are right.
DS9 is the best Star Trek Series. Anyone who disagrees should consider seeing a doctor. They might be retarded.

Did not expect that. The thing is, they're right. It's a digression and the answer is actually pretty obvious.

They vented the bodies into space, which means there's potentially either a floating body or bodies in space with this shit just sat on it, or landed on some planet if it had little to no atmosphere.
Huge space plague, ayylmaos will cure is

I can't find it but there was a vid of someone hiding in the bed slot of a random's Aurora before the actual owner came through the airlock and was none the wiser.
The Starfarer has been a setting for many inship firefights, vid related. Skip to 6m28s.

There is another vid of a proper team on team fight set in a Starfarer but I couldn't find it. Sorry for the average example.

Anyone still got that one user's post comparing the number of annual workplace deaths in Canada to the death toll of the "Genocidal" Occupation of Bajor by the "evil" Cardassians?

Thank you for showing that user. that was rad

I'm talking about equal parts the problem of defining the concept of self in relation to "I think, therefore I am" and its supposed uniqueness, and thus the theoretical impossibility of moving it seperate of the brain its running on, and the old quandary of the Ship of Theseus.
Both are things people have been discussing for thousands of years, its not exactly new.
To spell it out, when you walk onto a teleporter pad, your body is dissolved into energy, while its configuration and all the data in your mind is sent to a second pad where a body is build that is a perfect copy of your original, down to the last atom, with every piece of that braindata from your original body is in the new body as its build. Yet you insist that there must be something in the original body that is now somehow missing making it not you?
We have already established that the second body and the mind within it cannot tell in any way that it is not the original.
Even though your own body does this regularly, as part being alive. Yet, when this is done quickly with a teleporter instead of so slowly you can't notice it, it is somehow different? How? What is the difference?
How is it that if the ship of Theseus is replaced one plank at a time until nothing remains, it is the same ship, but if you take it all apart and put it back together in the exact same way it originally was in another place, it is now an entirely different ship?
How can you tell apart the conciousness of the you that steps off the teleporter pad is not the same that stepped on to the pad in the first place? If the body and mind of the arriving you are the exact same as the ones that where sent, how can you be certain the original must be dead and not transferred to the arriving you.

I don't get why you put so much emphasis on the idea of you having to remain a long string of unbroken conciousness, when you are nothing but the sum of your memories. Data on a biological computer trying to define its sense of self.
You make excuses for why every lapse of conciousness doesn't count for this grand string. Sleep, being knocked unconcious or being temporarily dead. None of them count as interuptions because it is the same hardware running the computer program? The same brain? A brain that is constantly, if slowly, being replaced with another brain that is similar is almost every way. Yet to make a physical copy of that brain and transferring your mind into it, does not count as the continuation of same mental process, simply because distance is involved?
You are jumping to a lot of your conclusions about what you consider you and how you remain you.

Sorry, but the concept of mind transferral, uploading your mind into a computer or using cybernetics to increase your intelligence, are all connected to this question, and are all stables of science fiction and space games.

here

Most excellent.

It may be hard for you to accept but you have a metaphysical notion of consciousness possibly without realizing it. If you buy into the idea that consciousness is an emergent byproduct of brain activity (the only belief supported by empirical evidence) then there is no teleporter problem.

It doesn't make any sense to talk about "you" and "clone you" as two separate entities, that just betrays your idea of consciousness as a process distinct from the physical world. If you had sense you'd admit that there is FUNCTIONALLY no difference between someone who was teleported and someone who was medically dead/totally unconscious for even an instant. Whether the brain is destroyed doesn't matter, you're adding unnecessary information to the problem.

Homeworld 3 was supposed to be abput stopping the power hungry Hiigarans. Karan S'Jet was becoming increasingly unstable after years of Hyperspace travels and being unbound. With the Eye of Aaran they went back to their roots that got them exiled and started taking back what was "theirs", belieiving the the stars belonged to them. Without the Bentusi to fuck their shit up and with Sajuuk they were pretty much unstopable.

Too bad now HW 3 will probably be a shooter with all the lore retconned where you fight the Beast alongside the Taaiidans during the Homecoming with your comical Kadeshi squadmate.

But you can play that game thanks to Based Gearbox, creator of the acclaimed series Borderlands. It'll even feature easter egg characters like Shovel Knight and Claptrap.

There's a big difference between dead/desintegrated and medically dead.

You funny guy.

Have a best manual pic for your trouble.

It is impossible to create a perfect copy. Period.

Is that really what you think we are? JUST memories?

Let's say there is a smiley face drawn on a piece of paper in my kitchen. I look at the paper, memorise it, then I burn the paper to ashes. I then walk to my living room, grab another piece of paper, and draw the smiley face that I saw in the kitchen. That's teleportation, by your own definition. I've converted it to energy, sent its configuration to the destination, then built a perfect copy of the original. Has the smiley face moved from the kitchen to the living room? No, it hasn't moved at all. I destroyed it, then I created a copy of it elsewhere. The copy is not the original.

What happens if I recreate the smiley face at it's destination before getting rid of the original? It's just information that's being transferred, so the state of the original has no relation to the state of the state of the copy. I memorise the smiley face in the kitchen, walk to the living room, draw the smiley face that I memorised, then I go back to the kitchen and burn the original smiley face. What's different? Both the original and the copy exist at the same time when we do it this way. Are they the same smiley face? Are they magically linked somehow? No. If I tear one in half, the other isn't going to rip itself in sympathy; they're completely separate entities, just built to the same pattern. The smiley face has not moved. The copy is not the original.

What happens if I never destroy the original? That's still teleportation, right? I've recorded the configuration of the original in its entirety, and I send that data to its destination to be given a new physical form there. Sure, the original smiley face is still in the kitchen, waiting to be sent to the living room, but who cares about that one. The new smiley face that I drew here in the living room is obviously the real smiley face, since I transferred its data here and reconstructed it at its destination (and I like this one better because it's very happy with the teleportation service and gave me a good review online). I then send the original smiley face down into the mines to work until it dies of exhaustion, at which point its body is mulched and sold as fertiliser. This is perfectly ethical because it's not even real. It's a fake copy of the smiley face. I know it's fake because the real smiley face got sent to the living room. Because that's how teleportation works: the copy is the original, and the original is just waste to be disposed of however I see fit. Unless maybe the copy is not the original.

Mind uploading is just as flawed. Let's say I take a photo of the smiley face. Nice; now it can live in a computer forever. Except the smiley face is still there on the piece of paper. Whoops. Looks like I'll have to get rid of it, so that the copy can magically become the original. Because that's how it works: if you wish hard enough, and pray to Atheismo every night like a good little sceptic, your science-soul will magically transport to the new body (or computer). It's not like consciousness is an emergent phenomenon that arises from the specific configuration of meat in your skull. Boy, wouldn't that be inconvenient. It'd mean that if you wanted to transport a particular consciousness somewhere, you'd have to transport the meat that it emerges from, or else you'd just end up with a copy over there with the original still here, still waiting to be transported. I sure am glad that we live in a fairy tale where we can just hand-wave this shit away with plot magic!

Seriously though, get ready for Memeworld 3: Claptrap edition. Hopefully it'll be enough of a disaster to finally sink Gearbox and the IP can go to Nordic or Stardock.

Not a difference that matters in the context of this problem.

This is what the teleporter problem is fundamentally asking when you remove all extraneous information: if the process that makes you you is completely halted for any period of time, does that result in subjective death? The answer is obviously no, based on real-world examples. An even better answer would be that the question doesn't make any sense, because subjective experience is an illusion.

It doesn't matter that you're vaporized or that your physical location changes. That's extra information.

If an exact duplicate of you were allowed to survive for any period of time, your experiences would diverge and you would be two separate individuals for all intents and purposes. Killing one of you would be unethical at this point. But that's not part of the problem either.

Normalfags will save them

Don't jinx it user. We got deserts of kharak which wasn't too bad loreside. Just hope they let the franchise die with it.

Thank you, user. Couldn't have done it better.
I'm sorry to tell you, original lad, but you argue like a normalfag, leftist, reddit user (with slightly more autism),

How can you be so wrong? How can you claim that "there is no difference" between me and a fucking clone? I can't experience his consciousness. We are completely separate entities. Read for an absolutely simple explanation.

user, why do you scare me so?

It's scary what power greedy scum have over normalfags.

You'd imagine everyone with passing familiarity with sci-fi would have gone through this discussion decades ago.

At least its not those fucking flat earthers again.

You miss the point of the ship of theseus.

Assume that in harbour A, we have a ship made of wood. Now we take the ship appart, sent all the planks to another harbour, B, and put it all together again. Is this the same ship, or is this a copy of the ship?
What if we find out that a few planks where rotten and replace them with fresh unrotten ones. Still 99% the same lumber, still the same design as the original ship. Is this still the same ship?
What if we add an engine to the ship?
Or replaced more of the wood?
At what point does the ship stop being the ship of Theseus and start being another ship?
This is the question teleporters raise.

Then where do you think conciousness emerges from if not the memories and brain tissue it runs on? The data and the hardware that runs it, if you will?

Those were funny, but this teleporter shit is a dead horse made into glue before any of us was born.

I don't understand this game. It's boring as fuck.

You know user, that post was a cure for my constipation. I am on the toilet right now taking a shit cause of you.

Memelands: The Prememequel didn't do too hot and Battleborn fucking bombed.
Not only thanks to the cancerous writing by Burch & Co but also the complete and utter inability of Gearbox to balance their game.

Reminder that no one in Gearbox even read the Homeworld manual that was freely available on the net. The timeline is all fucked in Homeworld Deserts of Kharak. There was absolutely no excuse for their massive amounts of fuck-ups. Or then they just retconned every other Homeworld game in existence.

Just think about that. All that work some nerds put into that manual and trying to keep lore and events consistent flushed down the toilet by normalfags.

Not only that but they completely broke it when they did remastered and they only fixed it after massive outcry

It's barely a game, more of a screenshot simulator and funding scam for FDEV's other games.

Its so easy to dream

Excuse me, user, but a lot of people all around the world believe in that.

What's the absolute worst space game you've ever played?

Why did Gearbox even bid on Homeworld?

They can't create anything original that's good, so they're hoping to make some money with the name?

Life is suffering.

user, both of them are equally bad, one for the reason its sjw propaganda and cuckolding, the stardock on the other hand is because of low quality product with shit setting and shit programmers making the code and zero beta testing.

I would prefer a buggy but true to lire game than a barely thought out lore raping virtue signaling "game" shilled by journos sold at 80 canadollarydoos.

To make a shit remaster and get shekels from diehard fans.
Good thing it didnt have the best fathership or my inner goy would have gone full retard.

I get what you're saying, but there's "buggy" and then there's "literally unplayable." Stardock has released games in the latter category, I don't buy anything from them anymore.

Not to say I prefer Gearbox though, they're just both trash.

Wasnt it only one game? And they were "we are really super sorry about it, here have another game for free"

GalCiv 3 wasn't that bad and ashes of singularity is alright. Far from being unplayable. Galciv has the usual lategame cpu/mem rape though which I would like they correct.

In any case pirate first is still what I do.

"Hello aliens, we are coming in peace."

Top goy.

That isn't a simple explanation, or even an explanation at all. It's the most needlessly complex post here and not even worth skimming over because the analogy utterly fails to capture how the human mind works. This is the only explanation necessary: your sense of self is an illusion manufactured by your biology. It is not permanent; it is a transient process that is interrupted regularly with no ill effect. That's it, end of story. Anything more is simply your inability to reconcile reality with the illusion that your mind is distinct from the physical world. There is no difference between you and a replica of you existing at different times. Unless you believe in some metphysical christfag bullshit I'm not sure how you can fail to understand that. Reality takes precedence over the illusion that you have a persistent and uninterrupted existence.

Let me just ask you one final thing to really hit the point home. Say you're teleported and your current body is destroyed instantly, you know the drill.

What do you expect to experience at this point? Eternal nothingness? Looking down from heaven upon "a clone who thinks they're you but somehow they're not you because uh reasons" as they go about their lives? Do you expect to be around long enough to comprehend anything?

If your answer is that it doesn't make any sense to even talk about experience because your brain is gone, all your concerns make no sense - so thank you for agreeing with everything I've said so far. You'd be admitting that your sense of self is purely a manufactured, transient thing and that the apprehension that "your consciousness won't transfer" makes absolutely no sense in the context of reality.

Could Homeworld be made into an MMO?
Instead of a single ship, you start with something like a carrier that can make fighters, corvettes and frigates and you control an entire fleet of them.
Progess is made by trying to get the blueprints to make different ships for your fleet and tweaking the designs to customize their preformance.
Guilds can band together to make shipyards where players can buy new and better carriers and other capital ships like destroyers. Special equipment you can mount on them can also be produced or found in loot.
Instead of levels and xp grinding, players instead try to get the resources to build new and better ships to replace their looses.
Different npc factions would be Higarans, Taidani (Imperial or Republican) and various unaligned races fighting over the remains of the Taidanii empire in the wake of its collapse after HW1.
Or is that too impractical a setup?

Technically that's what Deserts of Khrap was meant to be originally and there is a lore and universe there for it to happen.

yeah you're retarded. go back to leftyfur or whatever hole you crawled out of

On the ground, with tanks'n'shit.
Its just not the same as spaceships.

If you say so. My main experience with them is playing Fallen Enchantress. I spent most of my time getting kicked back to the desktop and then having to reload, but I didn't give up until all my saves got corrupted simultaneously.

Of all the fucking vidya genres, why an MMO? Hell, I would prefer a walking simulator inside a ship slowly getting infected by the beast

I'm sure any analogy would seem really elegant to someone retarded enough to believe they have a soul.

Because it you let you make a Taidanii fleet fighting to keep Higaran rapefugees out and trying to make the empire great again?
Or just to explore the universe with a fleet of ships instead of just 1.

It would be more easy to make an X or star wolves game with a homeworld skin

At least the flat earthers accidently made a great setting for a fantasy game.

This is going completely into offtopic, but I think that this could make a pretty fucking radical setting or background for a fantasy game.

Or Starsector, it is easily modable. Although it's fucking (((Java))).

So where's da federation women at?

Gonna say Starlight Inception.

Kickstarter is a helluva drug.

they found another ship

Fucking pirates.

forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/347497-Generation-Ship-quot-Venusian-quot

Being able to walk around Voyager blew my mind as a kid.

the lack of strafe controls in most freespace 2 mods annoys me. the ones that have it make strafe way too weak too. any good ones with a proper space flight model out there?

this game is ok but straight up succeded by quite a number of other games in the same genre. unending galaxy for awesome scale and automation features, starsector for combat and stuff.

I bought Beats Hazard off of steam for like two bucks on sale, it's fucking great. You fight in a arcade space shooter with your music controlling the power and rythym. Doing the boss rush to to the beat of my Best of Queen album was pretty sweet. Too bad the game could use more enemy types, especially since almost every other part is completely endless and customizable.

You're a retard.

Say you get teleported and you are NOT destroyed.
You will see yourself as you and won't recognize that other you as you. Your sense of self remains. He will to you be a different entity.

So how can he be you if you are still here. There's can't be two of you when a sense of self is singular. Does he suddenly become you if you die?

When you die, YOUR story ends. Sleeping or unconciousness is not the same as death.Your copy is not you.

Sense of self is an illusion? How you thought that maybe life itself is an illusion? After all, we're energy, we don't really die.
So why don't you convert yourself to energy right now? Throw yourself into a giant bonefire and die. Who cares about conciousness or sense of self. Tehy are jsut illusions…right?

They've all but basically admitted universal ship to ship boarding will probably never happen, and the idea of cutting holes in a ship's hull to board is flat out dead.

It's going to be all EVA now aside from specialized cases like snub ships and such

Is the illusion he is refering to.
Until there is a difference in the memories between the two you's they are the same it IS you in every way except location. The second the original you is copied the copy the memories of both you's start to diverge, this is the point at which you become separate entities. But not until then.

Pic related.
Are you saying that people who are clinically dead for several minutes before being brought back to life, have a new conciousness than their old one? But being knocked unconscious does NOT interrupt your conciousness?
But your conciousness is just a biological computer program running on a biological computer trying to comprehend itself through its own experiences. It is not a real physical thing.
What stops it from being copied and transmitted like any other data?

Don't all the ships with actual interiors have unified docking rings?

No, the early ships all had randomly sized ones, some of which can't even be opened, because the modelers were fucking idiots, and many of the newer ships have don't even have docking rings at all. It's extremely questionable if ships will even be able to dock at stations much less have two ships dock while floating space.

Damn, well I imagined that was going to be a sensible thing to implement.
Still if a ship is big enough I hope we can shoot out the doors at least or perhaps force them open and then flying a crammed ship in there.

Currently ships just land on landing pads at stations or bases, it'll be the same system as Elite's

Don't be a reddit gullible idiot, you know full well it won't be done, the best you will have is a landing pad with a menu.

People are still hyped for Shekel Yiddishzen?

"Hyped" is a way too hyped word to use in this situation.
Dare i say "hype" is a shitty meme now

What about Kiked?

I mean some of the current larger ships you can already fly snub craft through into the hanger. Since the damage system already supports certain parts of the ship being blasted off I didn't think it would be too far fetched for hanger doors to be added to that system.

They're finally getting on with Alpha 3.0 which will introduce their planetary tech they've been flaunting for the last year into a playable form. Although just into the single playable system Crusader which is 3 moons orbiting a gas giant with lots of other pois around it. From all the information and inengine footage that comes from their youtube and developer vids I'm certain they'll finish the game in some form.
Question is, what promises they made will actually be implemented into the final product.

Easy answer user none of their original

Alpha 3.0 is the time their shitty multiplayer meme come back to bite them in the ass. The same thing happened to Elite Dangerous, the game fell apart once they implemented their shitty netcode.

No. A copy is not me. Having the same memories doesn't make him me. In fact, he's case to be me the second he was created, because I would still be me and there cannot be two me.

Unconciouss is not dead. And something being on pause and something being destroyed are different things.
"Clinically dead" and dead are not the same.

But the game already has multiplayer? Or do you mean their solution to fitting more people into a single server by splitting areas up?

Also the only reason Elite is alive today is because it has multiplayer. The ingame events that do occur and the player made groups are what generates the content to keep the game alive during the massive wait times between updates especially when you're grinded out.
Without that the game would be absolutely dead, even without working on netcode which I'm sure not all of their devteam is dedicated to working on the game would probably take just as long to develop.

Didn't they scrap the co-op campaign already?

Squadren 42 their solo campaign is being worked on alongside the persistent memeverse. Keep in mind they have several studios in America and Europe working on different parts of each project.
It was originally pitched as co-op but last I heard they cut it to solo only.

the SWG project we wanted to climb onto crashed and burned.

That's what I meant, Crusader is fine now but as they try to add features they will always be buttfucked by multiplayer. Though CI seems to have better developpers than FDEV and probably won't go p2p.

ED is held back by its flawed multiplayer. All of the shitty half-implemented feature the game has at the moment can have their problems traced back to their implementation of multiplayer. Also for a game kept alive by its community, they do nothing to support player interaction. Now ED sole purpose is milk forumdads for funds for their other projects.

Don't tell me, Tumblr fucked it up?

How many people are on the dev team? Between ED and planet coaster I would think ED gets the short end of the stick.

Their newest financial report should be titled "Thanks Planet Coaster".

What's the consensus on Star Ruler?

I liked the first one a lot. I built an Eternal Empire which fell to a younger race because I didn't update my fleet since my resources were tied to building a solar system sized automated carrier. It is a little rough around the edge though.

I didn't play enough of the second one to have a real opinion.

Elite Dangerous is p2p, that's half of the instancing problem and it uses a hybrid of p2p and dedicated servers However the most heavy network traffic is focused on p2p tech so they can run the game through cheaper Amazon servers.
The forum dads are a vocal minority and their immersion argument has only had a massive effect on travel times (for the moment keeping the way players move through the galaxy which Fdev has given us many ways to cut down on) and the ship transfer system. All of the player groups on the other hand are pushing for more player interaction, redo of Powerplay, actual proper ingame guilds or minor faction allegiance with rewards. SDC have time and again abused the hell out of broken weapons so Fdev have finally fixed and balanced them (sometimes nerfing them into the ground).
The problem is that Sandro the lead designer for the game is hell bent on sticking to the roadmap as much as possible. We only know that roadmap is pretty much planetary landings on all planets and eventually walking around in ships, stations and exteriors. In fact most of the promised roadmap has been roughly completed in season 2 the next update 2.4 is completely in the hands of the devs, no promises where made so there is hope with whatever it brings (probably and fucking finally the full Thargoid plot line) more older features get a checkup.

Didn't the last report show Elite is making them a profit even if small? They where only able to make Planet Coaster because Elite has kept them above water.

Multiplayer is fun as shit. Ship editor means each player has an entirely different army doctrine such as:

Star Ruler sets itself apart from other 4X's/RTS because of the freedom it gives through its ship designer. So it feels like more of a sandbox type of game. SR2 watered down the ship designer but despite the superb diplomacy system it just doesn't hold a candle to its predecessor due to how constrained the combat is, given the amputated editor and the reliance on fleet formations.

Did your carrier ever reach the universe and avenge your race?

Planet Coaster was announced weeks after ED was released. It is obvious they used the initial bux ED pulled to fund PC and cut content from ED that would be released in paid expansions (which were never mentioned prior). Since both games have been out for awhile it will be interesting to see how they continue supporting them.

Anyone try Starfighter Origins yet? The very early steam reviews are complaining about the controls and bugs

Gee, I don't know why a game from a known shovelware studio is getting hammered?

I remember that greentext, he created the most powerfull carrier at the cost of his entire race and flipped the switch to kill, dont remember the ending.

Of coursh. During the siege of my homeworld I used my last resources to send a convoy to the base outside the galaxy but on sublight. Took hundreds of years to reach the production base and then a couple hundred more to finish production of the Project. Then it had to come back on sublight.

By the time it was back my Empire was all but forgotten, only ruins left on conquered world by the aliens. I made them remember.

Since it was entirely automated pleas for mercy were ignored.

You created your own gray goo scenario

Fucking savage. This is great.

Thread over 300 post. Roll up?

Till page 14.

Second one is a far better, if less sandboxy, game.

I wish I could have a fun scenario like that. I normally just end up playing strong industry route in most games of that genre and when someone dares challenge me and decides to invade my territory I end up retooling in an instant my vast industry for nothing but war, drowning the enemy out with vast armadas that in a space of a few turns make me from having minor military strength to being a military juggernaut that immediately has the invaders suing for peace. I always reject their offers and make an example of them

Babylon 5 Edition next?

No idea how I fucked up linking that post

top kek

Next thread should be about the Memebari.

murica

New Thread

New Thread

fucking retarded mods