Marathoning all Final Fantasies

GRINDING IS STUPID

Do you have any idea how long it took me to beat FF1? It was unbelievably hard and grindy. I'm only at the beginning of FF2, just met Cid, but the grinding is even worse because of the weapon skill system!

This is going to take a month at the very least. Is FF3 going to be any better?

Other urls found in this thread:

finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Flying_Fortress
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Also if I have to face something like Tiamat in this game I might well have to take a long break. That made me tear my hair out.

Holla Forums isn't a blog

It's not a blog dumbass.

Fucking stupid

What?

If it took you longer than 4 hours then you were too slow.

If you have to grind through the game maybe you're just shit?

Well this place is dead. Wonder where I can talk about video games now…

FF3 introduces the job system

Try Tumblr. It's my understand that's the go-to site for people to blame others for their self-inflicted problems.

Oh, so this is a shitposting thread now?

The job system is something I absolutely dread and I thought up until now that I'd only have to deal with it in FF5

You tried talking about any good video games, ever?

Wait, didnt you make a thread about doing this a little while back? You absolute madman.

I was referring to this.
Trigger warning: equal parts cancer and tedium

>>>Holla Forums6950409

Yeah I did in 2015 and I quit after the first game because it took me so long to beat I realized what a timesink it'd be.

Yeah it was an accident and I can't delete posts there.

If you really want to have an easy time at FF2 just make everyone a monk and punch everything to death. Or take advantage of the blood swords.

Your thread deserves all the shitposting it gets.

The fuck am I reading? The job system is the best part of Final Fantasy.

Isn't unarmed hampered by the basal stats no matter what?

Why so?

If you're just playing through the story and not re-release/side content, then you're a fucking moron; the amount of ridiculously easy ways to accrue power in those games is staggering.
Even playing through the game blind you shouldn't be taking a month to finish each game as long as you make use of basic mechanics.

I'm going to politely tell you 4 things.
I will not respond to you if you rebuttal with bullshit.

1) Holla Forums is not your personal blog. I can guarantee you that most of us do not care about what you are doing with the Final Fantasy games. Your post could have been shortened to "I'm working my way though the Final Fantasy games, how do you guys feel 3 is compared to the others."

2) You asked the question "Do you have any idea how long it took me to beat FF1?" And then proceeded to tell us how finishing FF2 will "This is going to take a month at the very least." Again, you seem to think majority of us care. those of us who will respond to your thread will have obviously beaten these games and are familiar with Jrpgs. Thus it can stand to reason that those who might respond would know the reasonable amount of time it would take to beat the game, thus a question like that would show that you are a casual and instantly bring forth disdain upon your person.

3) As you may know, the best way to formulate an opinion is to play the game by yourself. By asking "Does 3 get better." you are letting us know 2 things:
The first is that you have no actual interest in beating the game, as the "grind" is too much of a chore, the only hope you have is that maybe 3 will be less of a grind. This also brings forth another point that I will get to momentarily.
The second is that you have done no research on these games even a little, had you done so you would have understood that not only is FF3 more grind intensive that many others in the series. It is the first really large Final Fantasy game. This in conjunction with the first point I made here leads me to the conclusion that you are not a very intense gamer and that you are merely playing these games for "cred."

4) by the use of exclamation marks, the rhetoric of your post, and the "Grinding is stupid." leads me to believe that you are 1 of 3 things:
1) A lurker who has not lurked enough
2) A brand new user to Holla Forums and still trying to understand the culture here.
3)a poster who does not post much because he has legitimate autism and doesn't know how to conduct himself.

Reflect on these points. And finally to answer your question:
It only gets grinder from Final Fantasy 2 onward, but the grind becomes more and more worth it.

Unarmed makes you an overpowered god in FF2, you level quickly since you are just choosing attack all the time. It's cheaper too I don't think white magic conflicts with high strength either. You might want to make one person a "red mage" with a blood sword and a small handful of black magic. Don't bother getting any more spells than you absolutely need since you have to level them up all separately and especially don't even bother with status magic in that game.

Because that's where you actually get the freedom and creativity to build your party and stat your characters out just how you like them. Why do you dread the job system?

Grinding to make the character stronger sucks in any game imo.
Grinding would be acceptable to me if it's to gather materials to make cool shit or to change your character's attributes in a non directly improved way, but if it's to make your game easier(or possible, in turn based games' case) then it's a shitty mechanic that either hinder the player's experience or is abused remove challenge.

lol faget

Everything you said about me aside from being casual is correct user. I mostly play simulator games. I'm willing to put in the time, but it's hard to do so in games liek this.

I fully intend to beat FF2 but it's very taxing to me.

I'll try to make a better post next time. Thanks for the advice.

I assumed it'd take even longer to beat that way. Separate things to level up would take more time.

I'll try the build you suggested. I only have three offensive spells at the moment and leveling them up is already taking forever.

I see it the same way.

Good then.
Firion is best nigga.

That's not how you spell Buttz.

HAHA YOU LIKE BUTTZ!
WHAT ARE YOU GAY?

NAW NIGGA YOU GAY

That's not really how the job system works. Only FF2 does that shit of having to level everything separate.
Of course precisely how the job system works varies from game to game.

If you're not familiar with JRPGs then FF2 is a hell of a thing to cut your teeth on. The leveling mechanic in that game is borderline broken.
What release version are you playing anyway? If it's one that has the select-cancel glitch then you'll have a much easier go of it.

I've seen the kind of person who marathons all the final fantasies. You don't want to be that person, user.

I have and no, they aren't grindy at all. It made me realize how amazing FF3 for the Nes is, it was pretty ahead of its time. I stopped at FF12, and skipped 10 because of reasons.

This is far more a blog post than the OP.

Use cheats to speed up the process nigger.

There's "reasonable" cheating and then there's "Why do you even bother playing" cheating
If you simply speed up the grind, fine.
If you negate the grind, that's fine, just don't tell anyone faggot.
If you negate the whole point of playing the game, ie Lvl 99 with all 999 in every stat as soon as you start the game, then what's the fucking point?

Every single FF game can be beaten without grinding, even the first one.

This version. Recognize it?

why dont you skip the grinding by using cheats you retard

If I did that then I wouldn't be getting the intended experience, because that's what games are: an experience.

Are you a fucking god damn inbred faggot streamer? I hope you die in a fucking fire. Faggot.

enjoy your shitty outdated unfun gameplay then

Final Fantasy reminds me of the days in 2005 when we'd speak like that, so i named the folder that out of nostalgia. I beat 7, 9, and 10 back then so I'll be skipping those.

Ok maybe I can make an exception

If that's just an english patched version of NES FF2 then the select-cancel glitch is still there. Use it. Please.

But what about my defense stats

are you masochist or just braindead?

just choose VII, IX or X, and play one of them if you are curious about this shitty franchise

or if you are curious about the genre just play the best like Chrono Cross and Suikoden 2

jrpg is a really shitty cancerous genre that had just a handful of playable games

Dude, just go to another thread.

I beat those already. Suikoden 2 was fucking incredible.

Every time you loose half of your hp in a single battle you gain hp and vitality. Just intentionally let monster beat the shit out of you and then heal up AFTER battle. Rinse and repeat until you're satisfied.

But I can't cancel the turns so how can i let the monster beat me up if I can't choose not to attack?

ALAKAZOOM!

I never grind in any FF game I play on the first play. It's much more fun for me and often times I'll have to use very specific strategies and desperate techniques to beat a boss.

For example in FF4 (with hardest difficulty selected), I ended up having to 'throw' all my gil and use the weapon toss ability(destroys the item) to throw a newly acquired upgrade weapon I hadn't even had the chance to equipped yet. It set me back in the game hard afterwards but I was able to progress still. It was a fun challenge after trying every other combination of abilities.

tl;dr level grinding is for scrubs

Also speaking of FF4, I never even figured out dual-cast for the whole game and missed out on most of the best abilities. Fuck me, but I refused to read up on strategy guides to spoil the fun of learning the hard way.

I like the way you think but doing it in FF2 is nearly impossible.

Also

Why

You have to decide if you're going to use a particular battle to level attack/weapon proficiency/spells or leveling hp.

That's not the DS version.

I mean the kind of person who makes a weird pseudo-project out of wasting time. Gaming is one thing, but deciding to divert huge chunks of time into escapism speaks to a profound want of direction in life.

I quit FF2 an hour into it because I hated the skill system so fucking much, but maybe the HP/Vitality gain also works if you're doing damage to yourself?

Someone who actually knows the system better than me should be able to clarify that for you. Do you need to lose HP specifically from monsters, or is it just any form of HP loss (i.e. self-induced)?

I played the Steam version of FF4 which includes a "hard" mode, which is why I chose that one, it's based on the DS version. Sorry, I know it's haram.

SNES FF2 was gimped, if I remember right. Something or other about Easy Type?

You have to end the battle with your current HP

One more thing.

FFX IS COMFY AS FUCK, UNRIVALED IN COMFYNESS AMONG FINAL FANTASY GAMES

The US version of FF4, titled FF2, was an easier version of FF4. Lots of enemy counters removed, stats lowered, easier overall. The DS version (same as mobile) is chibi shit with voice acting, but it's like the original nip version in difficulty. Almost every boss has some kind of counter, debuffs are useful, Behemoths are actually a threat etc.

I forgot to mention the augments make shit easier on subsequent playthroughs, and if you know what you're doing, make the first playthrough much easier. Game is still decently challenging compared to the original US version.

DS version is pretty cool but more like a "director's cut" I'd say. It changes a lot of shit for the sake of it because IV got a dozen ports elsewhere, and was also riding on III's mild success. What you should do play a translated version of the Japanese SNES one, or the PS1 version, or the PSP version, or the GBA version with music patch. If you must play DS version first at least emulate it/play it on a real DS so the UI isn't fucking abysmal

Also Rydia best waifu

Well that's one hell of an assumption. I'm just doing it because I want the experience and appreciation of how a series can evolve over the years. I have a job at an engineering company and a business filming cute girls. No need to be angry dude.

Yes you can do this. I think what a lot of people do if they need to grind for certain stats is to just go into a early-level area and infight to bolster shit up.

Wait, you too? Aww shit, nice. I loved FF1 and the difficulty of it was grand; it wasn't too hard, but it wasn't afraid to be brutal at times. FF2 was pretty good as well, but it took a while to pick up for me and it felt kinda ehhh. FF3 was amazing but Nestopia was a shit to me and wiped my save, so I'll restart it sometime soon I suppose. The FF franchise is legendary and comfy from what I've seen of it so far. I'm glad to see I'm not the only dude taking up a FF marathon. I'm actually only going to 10 and then I'll play 12 eventually. Might throw in Tactics and Tactics Advance, too. I've been having a gay old time with the franchise so far.

We should have a talk about it. That twist in FF1 where you went to space was unbelievable.

I thought it was pretty cool, but I was more hyped over how fast and rad the airship was, and over the fight against Chaos at the end. The floating """"castle"""" was rad as hell too though. FF2 is even longer than FF1; as a heads up, only use one kind of weapon for each of your characters. If you swap your characters weapon halfway, you'll just end up being mediocre at both of them instead of being amazing at one kind of weapon. FF3 is fucking great because the job system is fun as hell; everyone has a raw level and when you swap, you keep that level as your class. Your level 10 Fighter can jump to being a level 10 Knight or a level 10 Red Mage without even having to have been those classes before. Again I'm gonna boot up 3 again sometime soon; I'm just taking advantage of the moment and playing some other games while my mind isn't all on about FF. It's been a nice little break but I'm kind of missing the franchise now.

It's been a while since I played it but I do not remember going to space in FF1. I remember going back in time but not space.

I love 12. The only reason I haven't replayed it recently is that I'm waiting for Zodiac.

II is a bit of a shitshow with grinding, I find in nearly every Final Fantasy game if you just fight what most of what you encounter you will never have to spend extra time leveling up anywhere. III especially is easy as fuck. A lot of the end-game jobs shit on everything.

That reminds me of when I bought III on DS used in around 2007 I think, all of the characters already on there were named after Dragonball characters.

finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Flying_Fortress

Oh that. I didn't even remember that that was in space.

Hey epic post, where can I subscribe? How do I upvote on this site?

ff4 and onwards (until like late ps2/early ps3? i stopped playing at 9) aren't grindy unless you self-inflict grind to get fully optimized. You can beat ff5 and ff6 without even needing xp because of how busted those games are when you know their secrets.

Use a blue mage in 5 and learn how to inflict death by math if you want to breeze through it.

Grinding is shit m8.

Wtf for mate? Just play 4, 6 and 7. None of the others are really worth it.

What a faggot. You're not a real FF fan.

Will there ever be a FF as good as Tactics?

It's a JRPG. They are filled with gimmicks and time wasters especially those old games. One of the reasons FF is known for it's the characters, story, world setting and great soundtrack ( Still missing you, Nobuo ) .

Standards has massively risen when it comes to narrative and storytelling in video games, the older FF games are nothing to write home about, if you can put up with an outdated, boring, lifeless combat system- turn base, and some grinding for the sake of plot, then sure go ahead and keep playing. 6-10, then of course XV are worth it, just for the experience alone.

Five was easily the best game in the series.

Stream it?

no wonder you find ff1 a grind, you either suck, have shit taste, or more likely both.

no

Yes it has, just because your cucked normalfag friends think B Infinite is a master piece doesnt mean the core audience standards hasnt risen.

fuck off back to halfchan

Want to be friends on IM?

Maybe don't do a 4BM run then.

Every version of that game is undefendable ass, so I can't blame you for not liking it.

Why are playing through the FF series again?

Tactics Ogre and FF Tactics killed SRPG's, every SRPG since has been an identical fucking clone. OGRE BATTLE >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Dogshit >>> M-m-muh Matsuno.

Underrated post.

Then clearly you always get a game over pretty quickly. You can get to Garland in FF1 with only maybe three or four fights ahead of him, and he will
KNOCK YOU ALL DOWN!
Hell, even in Bravely Default, when you get to the the fortress north of the starting city, you get your ass beat by enemies a literal order of magnitude more powerful than any basic enemies before them. They have as much HP and attack power as the pair of bosses you had to beat immediately before heading to the fort. Grinding is mandatory unless you have a means of cheating your EXP gains.

This is bait.

What is FFV.

DICK TREE SPOTTED

no it's fucking not, you fucking newfag, "blogs" or "web logs" are when someone writes a goddamn livejournal about themselves. Picking apart someone else's shitty posts is not writing about one's self. You don't belong here and you should go away along with the OP.
You're right to criticize that poster, but only in that he offered constructive criticism to someone who should, along with you, commit suicide.

Grinding basically just means "more gameplay". If you don't want "more gameplay" then it means the game is shit.

you should experience a plastic bag tied around your face, we'd love a let's play of it

OP, I think you'd be happier amongst your own kind. if you won't seek euthanasia, then do the following:
you'll find nobody there cares either, but you'll be surrounded by the same sea of shit you're personally exuding.
hope this helps!

What's wrong with it?

Why?

Tons of useless crap and outdated patch/romhacks cluttering it
No guarantee the dumps marked as good are actually good (good as in bit perfect, although that extends in a lesser way to No-intro)

Hey OP, you want a grind?

Play the First Dragon Quest.

Fuck off, grinding is bullshit and is nothing but the devs adding artificial playtime to the game without having to add any additional content. Japs are terrible for it

It doesn't have grinding though, unless you count doing 4 random battles at the start of the game to buy your fighter a sword as grinding.

nice b8

Yeah that game made me immediately fuck off.

Fun

It's not bait, aside from getting your initial starting equipment (which is about 10 random battle) there is no grinding whatsoever in FF1 unless you have a horrible party composition or if you can't comprehend any kind of strategy beyond mashing attack. I should know I've played the game at least 5 times on both NES and PS1.

at least you admit to being a retarded parrot, OP

lol wut?