Is high customizability a receipt for an success game?

Is high customizability a receipt for an success game?
Think about it, almost all 'mainstream' games are high customizable making the player feel that they have infinites possibilites

Minecraft, so maybe
Open world + Barebones Customization

Skyrim, GTA, Metal Gear Solid 5, FFXV, you name it.

So why there's few of this genre on the marked? i know that Open world are expensive, but high customization can be found on indie games, risk of rain for example.

recipe*

Hell no. A game with lasting success requires good gameplay, good writing (in modern games with any sort of complex story), good music, and admittedly, good visuals. A game with massive profits? Borderlands loot scale, day-0 DLC, differing preorder unlocks tied to specific stores, low initial cost, and a massive wealth of cosmetic and other types of DLC. Toss in season passes promising discounts on DLC, and you've got idiots by their wallet chains.

These two are what makes a video game good.

A sandbox is only as good as the tools provided with it. That's why skyrim will always be shit.

Lots of open world survival crafting games exist and they are all lackluster.

Lol what?

Only really Zelda and Dark Souls are "mainstream". The others just sold/reviewed well.

Anyways what do you mean by "customization"? Like the armors? Because the infinite possibilities in zelda came more from the physics engines, and in all of them, there's only so many armor customizations, 95% of which are so obviously pointless.

Get over here and talk to me about then.
Everyone's just shitposting at this point.
The largest element for customization is the magic system, what with mixing and matching things to make your own spells.
tfw user requests writefaggotry, so you write. No feedback, constructive or otherwise.

It's true, the singular reason why I have so many hours in minecraft is the redstone. Without it I would not likely have bought it, instead just played cracked and then quit.

polite sage for my double posting but I must add detail
The crosslinked post is 2/3

Have some comics I found.

I'm not saying that most of customization are useful. Like you said, they are almost pointless, but it give a false feeling of different options.

It's not necessary but it's certainly a plus.

What? Does having different types of armor make something "customizable"?

Nioh keeps showing up on lists here that it doesn't belong, like that "best music of the year" thread some time ago. It's a decent game but holy shit is it overhyped.

I don't think that's customization . I think that's having "options". I don't think it's a good idea to "balance" the options either. Just make them all fun

Sounds oddly familiar.

Dark Souls has play-style variety. The meta-game is usually shit but that doesn't mean you can't have fun with it. Also character customization but that's not relevant to the point of OP.

Don't know about Nioh.

Not necessarily, a game can have alot of skins and lines and emotes, yet still be doing poorly
Some games don't even have alternate skins yet do great
It's all about going full autism on the options, or having a great game, get both and you'll be set

those are pretty good

counterpoint: Wizardry 8 would've been a multi-million seller if that were the case

DeviantART: The Game