RPGmaker Thread

Recently I've played through Yume Nikki, OFF, Charles Barkley Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden (which I guess is really gamemaker rather than RPGmaker) , Uncommon Time and Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: The 7th Stand User.

Yume Nikki is a classic and I liked OFF a whole lot more than I thought I would. Barkley had really surprisingly good character writing in between the jokes (or maybe I'm just a sucker for tragic hero archetypes like Barkley). 7th Stand User is an all around masterpiece that pretty much validates RPGmaker existing on its own and I'm definitely going to come back and New Game+ it to see more possibilities and stands - I had no idea going in that there would be so much in the game.

So have I tapped the mine for RPGmaker games? People seem to like LISA but is it good enough to pay for? Should I just play the first one and pretend the sequels don't exist? Has anyone played any other RPGmaker games that were actually fun?

Other urls found in this thread:

dropbox.com/s/4bn0iteilo9maw6/off_translation_v2.0.zip?dl=0
ironshoe.wordpress.com/2014/10/20/integrating-chat-mapper-part-i/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

oneshot

I forgot about that one. I'll check it out sometime.

Don't pay for it, also the first part is better than the second.

Lisa is really good but the developer went fucking insane after his father died so don't give him any money.

Off is very good but don't bother with the fan games. They are fucking garbage. As for recommendations? You should play space funeral if you liked those other games. Very… interesting writing that you'll greatly enjoy if you liked the writing in Off.

I once knew this spergy girl who made a game on RPGmaker as a kid.

Why is that something you felt was necessary to share?

In theory amongst the hundreds of RPG maker games that use default scripts, a few might be decent RPGs.

I'm struggling with code, so the temptation to just make Generic Quest #3058 is blinding- even if I can't find someone to make OC sprites.

I'd heard of Space Funeral but I didn't try it yet because I didn't realise I'd like things like OFF so much. I'll play that next. Good mashup.

There are spergy girls out there who make RPGmaker games as adults. There are classy Japanese ladies who do it too.

Having OC sprites really goes a long way to making an RPGmaker game stand out as "good" among its kind. But if you're learning from scratch, it might take longer to make the sprites than the rest of the game.

Play Ib, its free and its not that bad.

Guess I'll write books.

just make a text adventure that isn't shit

But what's the point in making something interactive if there's no accompanying artwork? I can't entrap an entire generation of young men by waifubaiting if there's no art.

Do the sprites yourself, nigga. Even shit programmer art will stand out and have more character than the default sprites.

What about imagination? Surely as a budding writer you know its power.

The only literature that really makes it big and into the public eye nowadays is young adult fiction aimed at the middle school and early high school demographics. I'm aiming at the extreme limits of high school and college up to middle-aged. Old people can join too I guess.

I understand it's not exactly a clear-cut distinction - I was reading mostly stuff intended for an adult audience as early as elementary school, and as an adult still watch the occasional shonen - but you get the picture.

People pay Fenoxo 28k month for a game that has tiny pictures of varying quality for character art, and even before that, it was just tiny pixaleted sprites on the bottom of the screen that you have squint to make any detail out.
If you can stick your dick in something weird, or have that weird thing stick their dick in you, people will cram their autismo bux down your throat.

Chara can beat Madotsuki ez.

chara is a mary sue edgelord, madotsuki is just a hikikomori that does drugs

I know of another similar game that makes 12k as well, people will pay quite a bit for games involving their fetishes

And he does a terrible fucking job at it already. You could write the first things that come to your head and do a better job than him.

I would say it depends on what you're looking for. There's too many generic RPGs but there's at least one that stands out for me:
Forever's End. sadly not a complete game and seems to be stuck in development hell?
I enjoyed it for multiple characters and their skillsets as well as upgrading them. One character was a drunken swordmaster that changes his usual melee class to black/white magic via alcohol in battle or out of battle. The plot's not much to write about, but the characters themselves are a joy to use.
But feel free to call my taste shit if the game isn't for you. It's still a try. I just miss having set character archtypes in RPGs, never mind unique ones.

Continue Stop Rise is good though.

shieeeeet

What was that RPG Maker game written in a entirely unknown language that only the dev could understand?

Yume Nikki really is a comfy NEET life simulator.

Doesn't seem to have updated since 2012, so it's safe to say it's not getting finished. But it's a complete "episode one" so I guess there's enough to be enjoyable, like Anonymous Agony. Thanks for the recommendation.

Anime has Pozpigs? Never knew.

Dungeons & Prisoners when??

GOOGLE HORSE without Hooves & new born Foal Hooves

Do not listen to this man, he only wishes to cause you mental harm and misfortune.

anyone got a download for OFF and Lisa?

OFF's a free game: dropbox.com/s/4bn0iteilo9maw6/off_translation_v2.0.zip?dl=0

You'll have to ask the share thread about LISA.

INTO THE TRASH

Shiggy diggy.

LOL
O
L

It gets me everytime

well, if you're into neat resources I found this the other day:

ironshoe.wordpress.com/2014/10/20/integrating-chat-mapper-part-i/

tl;dr: It tells you how to implement Chat Mapper files into RPG Maker VXAce, which makes creating Fallout/Torment/Arcanum-level branching dialog trees much easier.

It's always interesting to see how far people can push this program. If nothing else there are some obvious oversights in the default scripts that pretty much everyone has to figure out how to script around.

not an arguement

fucking thank you holy shit, user
second part is tryhard edgy bullshit

I should've listened, but I chose not to. I deeply regret my mistake.

Lowering the barrier of entry to get a game on steam was a mistake.

I've been enjoying Pokey Quest so far. It helps that the comics that it's based off of are good.