Thoughts on this series? It's one of my favourite recommendations to people who don't question capitalism

Thoughts on this series? It's one of my favourite recommendations to people who don't question capitalism

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=x1bX3F7uTrg
youtube.com/watch?v=PtjfoEvsR9w
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Curtis has good ideas but his "post-left" pessimism is annoying. He seems to attract more libertarians than leftists.

It's really damn good, and this is coming from a Stirnerist.

I haven't seen his other documentaries, but century of the self is very critical of business. How does it attract libertarians?

He doesn't believe in revolution, and it definitely shows in his work. He's almost conservative in a way. Watch his work again and compare it to something like "The Decline of the Occident": you'll notice they have remarkably similar tones.

Reminder that conservatism (and fascism) inherently comes out of a pessimistic view of human nature (unsurprisingly the alt-right emerged from 4chan). Many conservatives will tell you that they started out as idealistic young leftists. As Walter Benjamin said "behind every fascism is a failed revolution"

idk if I worded that right, I'm high as fuck, if you'll forgive me.

as if this is encouraging

which is ironic given his condemnation of ayn rand

i don't think that's entirely fair. the main thrust of his work is that people need to be less self-centered if they want to change the world for the better and that collective action guided by a "powerful vision of the future" is what is needed. he is highly critical of many strands of leftism that existed in the US from the 60s up to the present, but given that they demonstrably failed to change the world i don't think that's unwarranted.

He's utterly based and it's good for recommending to all kinds of normies, i like showing it to conspiratards.

Reminder that every whiney little baby who inevitably pops up complaining about him maybe not being truly leftist enough or whatever and handwringing about it is a boring turd who is too emotionally immature to handle their beliefs being challenged and you should never listen to people like this even if you agree with them otherwise.

What other documentaries of his are worth watching?

It's really critical, and rightly, of the individualist movement in the 60's, that's all I meant.

Bitter Lake is the masterpiece imho
The Trap
Pandora's Box

are particularly good

It's shitty pseudo-intellectual posturing for people who are too lazy to read theory

this:
youtube.com/watch?v=x1bX3F7uTrg

His work lacks any pro-left bend, but it's still very good regardless. This could actually bode well for us because this means more people are willing to listen to him, and if people aren't going to be leftists they may as well be Curtis's brand of non-leftist.

Modern society has collectively destroyed our attention span. People should read, but they don't, and we need to get used to it.

Bullshit.

'Bitter Lake' and 'The Power of Nightmares' are the best of his works in my personal opinion.

10/10 Adam Curtis is a god who does great research

his argument is based on modern sociological theory

His wiki page has him desribing himself as a neocon. Is this apparent in his documentaries?

Wow, didn't see that coming. I still doubt that too be honest. It's really watered down post-marxism and sociology but it's still good as long as you can fill in the gap that he seems to purposely leave in there.

youtube.com/watch?v=PtjfoEvsR9w

It reeks of Debord. I can't see this guy as a neo-con, at least, not what most people see when they say their a neo-con.

Probably because leftists love their own spectacle

how are you people coming to this conclusion?

The Trap: What Happened to Our Dream of Freedom is literally an endorsement of a positive vision for society even at the cost of violent revolutionary upheaval.