Mystery Done Right

Remember when Tenno was a mysterious secrit club of space cyber ninjas that turn into nothing once killed and/or captured?
Well not since space kiddies :^)

Are there video games that do mysterious things/characters/elements right by NEVER explaining them? I can only think of G-Man, who even got his own speculation thread

It's so meta, even threads about it are deleted

They mystery of why I can't stop playing that god awful game

spooky

I can't even immediately tell by that picture, since all RPG maker artsy "games" have ghost/skeleton character in it ripping ume nikki off.
By your comment I can guess it's undermeme, so enjoy being filtered.

Gee.
Reported?

Let's not talk about it.
Instead let's talk about how walking simulators such as yume nikki do mystery breddy well.

But there's nothing to discuss, that's not what OP wanted.
OP wanted a list of games that do it, he didnt say he wanted to talk about the games themselves.

I'm glad they answered it, but I'm also mad they answered it. At least there's still some mystery left (IE: how Warframes work exactly), but eh.

Good mystery, IMO, is answered but subtly and in the "show, don't tell" fashion. Not vidya, but I absolutely loved Marble Hornets. Basically everything is explained, but insanely hard to decipher. Another good example is Eva

Also inb4 "deepest lore" shitposters.

STALKER and Metro 2033 do it well, as you never really get an explanation for the ghosts and anomalies.

Dishonored did it well with the outsider until 2.

Dark souls kinda does it, but mainly by just omitting every detail and never going back to answer anything.

Eva is pretty obvious if you pay any attention, now Lain is some heavy shit

Well problem with ume nikki is that NOTHING is explained, so we can safely assume that everything are just dreams/hallucinations of underage sex slave that constantly being drugged and gangraped. Ending pretty much outright tells us this.
I think real mysteries come from when in a situation when you know mostly everything, but one single element stand out as a completely unexplained sore thumb, while still fitting in the overall picture.

I mean SOTC builds up to this pretty well, but the ending pretty much explains how colossi came to be ruining the entire premise.

For the most part, yeah, but there are some things that you need to pay particularly close attention to in order to get (IE: What Gendo says to Ritsuko in End of Evangelion). Certainly an overrated series, but I always appreciated the attention to detail it has.

Glad they ended it at End of Evangelion, though. I can only imagine how terrible it'd become if they tried to continue it!

:^(

In what way? I thought we knew they were dormin from the beginning? I still like the mystery of the ancient ruins and magic in the game, and how you never see what kind of place wander came from.

a mystery that stays static is just boring. mysteries should be answered and the answers should bring more mysteries.

You seem to have caught yourself in an infinite loop there friend.

Because you've put an amount of time and effort and maybe gotten some meaningless bullshit that gives you the nagging feeling that if you quit you've wasted your time.

But the reality is your time was wasted the moment you started.

You're exaggerating how much it explains the colossi as well as how somehow it ruined the entire premise when it didn't nothing of the sort. You're overthinking it.

I am the exact opposite

Maybe I am.

Fuck I mean by the end of SOTC I was like "oh I get it now", by "ruined" I didn't mean it made the game bad or invalidated everything up to that point. It just made me content and satisfied, while the whole pre-space babies Warframe and Half-Life business kept me wondering and making my own autistic theories.

NGE and Lain are similar to SOTC in this regard, at the end of them I got the feeling of grasping the mistery.
If you want go into animoo territory I probably should name Gunbuster and its original space monster that left me in "what the fuck was that about?!" state, especially the sequel that only added more questions than answers.

Also I think Hyper Light Drifter intentionally tried to evoke MISTERY onto the player, but it was done in such crude and blatant way it hardly worked.

Tons of games are trying to cash in on the lorefag market with shitty enviornmental storytelling.

Maybe life itself is an infinite loop of mysteries?

Maybe that's why there's so many mysteries.

You should look into Godel's Incompleteness Theorum.

EYE Divine Cybermancy
In fact it's kind of a meme that the story makes no sense.

You mean intentional.

It's all explained in the final ending though.

no, I mean in every thread we have discussions about the lore even though it makes sense and is basically explained in full.

I was 100% certaint about what tenno were and how warframe worked before they released The Second Dream and I can tell you it absolutely wasn't FUCKING MAGIC SPACE SHOUTA.

I'm also 90% sure that it never was space shouta until about a month before development on TSD started. There's a ton of evidence from old codecies and dialogue that basically proves me right. I'm pretty sure DE decided on a whim to make space lolis, probably because they could sell more cosmetics and have gemik modes like Kuva Siphon. And I mean, hey, why not?
IT'S NOT LIKE THEY HAVE ANY DESIGN DOCUMENTS TELLING THEM NOT TO

I hope you realize how much of a childish SJW you're being.

Tenno were shit the instant they went with garbage organic designs for the warframes instead of more mechanical robotic designs. They should look like Samus, not Modern "Art".

I remember when warframes were the result of a fucking virus in a damn submarine.

spotted the faggot.

TENNO were not!Psykers exposed to the not!warp

Warframes were always constructed by orokin.

Elaborate

I dont remember Orokin infecting Hayden's arm with techocyte.

There is a meme that early on DE burned all of their design docs so it wouldn't limit their creative freedom.

I can't seem to find any sources of it now but also I didn't look very hard so.

The fucking genius visionaries at DE decided to not have any design documents.

It's a spiritual successor with many references to the original. There is confirmed to be A person named Hayden Tenno in the Warframe universe but that also is just a reference and he is a relatively irrelevant and also dead tenno with a coincidental name.

I know I just wish they went with the original story and expanded on it. At this point Dark Sector is the better game.

No, however shit warframe is, you just can't beat dark sector in terms of shittiness.

Never. Not until they bring back Lotus' old voice. Ree.

I haven't played dark sector because I don't care and it isn't canon to warframe, but from what I understand it was a fairly generic shooter with one interesting weapon and a couple okay boss battles. I definitely think warframe has a lot of problems but at least it has more merit and creativity than DS.

Unless you mean the story, in which case I don't know, but I do know it would have been basically impossible to go from the DS setting to the setting they wanted for Warframe in any logical way.

I just realized. Do they still talk to the design council? Was the design council asked about space lolis?

Generic implies playable.
Dark Sector wasn't playable.

I see people mostly complain about superficial shit like space kids or changed voices/lore, but warframe is shit game because it has shit gameplay and shit p2w model. I mean if it wasn't so I'd play the fuck out of it space kids or not.

I'll give you the p2w mobile gaming tier bullshit, but the gameplay is for the most part still quite serviceable.

Yeah I mean it draws you in sure, but most enemies behave the same and your moveset is really limited. Soon you realize how shallow and repetitive the game is. It's basically 6 hours game that expects you to play for 6000.
Also don't turn this into warframe thread.

Hey man, the thread goes where it goes, if you want to turn it around post more examples and start more conversations. and why are you saging your worn thread?

Really though, what other mysterious shit from video games can you remember?
Was the whole daodan thing from Oni mysterious enough for you? I never could understand what exactly it was and why it turned everyone into a mutant except fro protagonist.

It's a mystery

I won't give you pay to win. It's pay to skip or pay for convenience. Show me where I buy the overpowered gear that can't be obtained for free? Even as P2S it's nowhere near mobile games.

You can buy forma and orokin reactors, and there's no other way to obtain reactors without waiting for DE to be generous.

That's the definition of p2w though.
The fact that you can grind or wait for that power is just a smoke screen for drones to use as argument.

Problem with undermeme is that it was long-term furry wankfest cancering up all boards before it fucking exploded into mainstream making it absolutely uncontrollable.
So yeah I instantly filter undermeme anything. Including you, have a nice day.

FUCK OFF TUMBLRTALE
FUCK OFF TUMBLRTALE
FUCK OFF TUMBLRTALE
FUCK OFF TUMBLRTALE
FUCK OFF TUMBLRTALE
FUCK OFF TUMBLRTALE
FUCK OFF TUMBLRTALE
FUCK OFF TUMBLRTALE
FUCK OFF TUMBLRTALE
FUCK OFF TUMBLRTALE
FUCK OFF TUMBLRTALE
FUCK OFF TUMBLRTALE
FUCK OFF TUMBLRTALE
FUCK OFF TUMBLRTALE
FUCK OFF TUMBLRTALE
FUCK OFF TUMBLRTALE
FUCK OFF TUMBLRTALE
FUCK OFF TUMBLRTALE
FUCK OFF TUMBLRTALE
FUCK OFF TUMBLRTALE
FUCK OFF TUMBLRTALE
FUCK OFF TUMBLRTALE
FUCK OFF TUMBLRTALE
FUCK OFF TUMBLRTALE
FUCK OFF TUMBLRTALE
FUCK OFF TUMBLRTALE
FUCK OFF TUMBLRTALE
FUCK OFF TUMBLRTALE
FUCK OFF TUMBLRTALE
FUCK OFF TUMBLRTALE
FUCK OFF TUMBLRTALE
FUCK OFF TUMBLRTALE
FUCK OFF TUMBLRTALE
FUCK OFF TUMBLRTALE
FUCK OFF TUMBLRTALE
FUCK OFF TUMBLRTALE
FUCK OFF TUMBLRTALE
FUCK OFF TUMBLRTALE
FUCK OFF TUMBLRTALE
FUCK OFF TUMBLRTALE
FUCK OFF TUMBLRTALE
FUCK OFF TUMBLRTALE
FUCK OFF TUMBLRTALE
FUCK OFF TUMBLRTALE
FUCK OFF TUMBLRTALE
FUCK OFF TUMBLRTALE
FUCK OFF TUMBLRTALE
FUCK OFF TUMBLRTALE
FUCK OFF TUMBLRTALE
FUCK OFF TUMBLRTALE
FUCK OFF TUMBLRTALE
FUCK OFF TUMBLRTALE
FUCK OFF TUMBLRTALE
FUCK OFF TUMBLRTALE
FUCK OFF TUMBLRTALE
FUCK OFF TUMBLRTALE
FUCK OFF TUMBLRTALE
FUCK OFF TUMBLRTALE
FUCK OFF TUMBLRTALE
FUCK OFF TUMBLRTALE
FUCK OFF TUMBLRTALE
FUCK OFF TUMBLRTALE
FUCK OFF TUMBLRTALE
FUCK OFF TUMBLRTALE
FUCK OFF TUMBLRTALE
FUCK OFF TUMBLRTALE
FUCK OFF TUMBLRTALE
FUCK OFF TUMBLRTALE
FUCK OFF TUMBLRTALE
FUCK OFF TUMBLRTALE
FUCK OFF TUMBLRTALE
FUCK OFF TUMBLRTALE
FUCK OFF TUMBLRTALE
FUCK OFF TUMBLRTALE
FUCK OFF TUMBLRTALE
FUCK OFF TUMBLRTALE
FUCK OFF TUMBLRTALE
FUCK OFF TUMBLRTALE
FUCK OFF TUMBLRTALE
FUCK OFF TUMBLRTALE
FUCK OFF TUMBLRTALE

Reactor (blueprints) are still free, though. Just because they aren't necessarily available doesn't mean that it's pay to win because you shouldn't ever NEED a reactor right away, because it's part of your progression not a buff or health item. alerts and invasions that drop it really aren't as rare as they seem, and you can almost always get them from Sorties.

In any rate you do not even have to pay for platinum in order to buy a reactor.

Hey are you the guy?

Last time they tried to have a tumblrtale thread they were talking shit about you. They said you were a cuckchanner or something. I wasn't really paying attention.

Is it true?

The definition of pay to win is that you can pay money to be better than someone regardless of skill and time investment differences.

That is not at all true of warframe, it is relatively trivial to make a good late game build without paying for anything and even if you buy the best warframe and weapons on the market, you can't buy mods, and the free starting weapons with end game mods are better than an end game weapon with starter mods.

They already had hints, people like me were just mad when the reveal turned the frames into undersized EVA units instead of conduits for batshit void magic.

When the fuck did they do this shit?
What was wrong with the old Lotus' voice?

pretty sure the real fuck off tumblrtale autist is dead but he was a cuckchanner, he admited it himself multiple times

They meant valley girl Lotus in, like, 2013

FUCK OFF TUMBLRTALE====FUCK OFF TUMBLRTALE====FUCK OFF TUMBLRTALE====FUCK OFF TUMBLRTALE====FUCK OFF TUMBLRTALE====FUCK OFF TUMBLRTALE====FUCK OFF TUMBLRTALE====FUCK OFF TUMBLRTALE====FUCK OFF TUMBLRTALE====FUCK OFF TUMBLRTALE====FUCK OFF TUMBLRTALE====FUCK OFF TUMBLRTALE====FUCK OFF TUMBLRTALE====FUCK OFF TUMBLRTALE====FUCK OFF TUMBLRTALE====FUCK OFF TUMBLRTALE====FUCK OFF TUMBLRTALE====FUCK OFF TUMBLRTALE====FUCK OFF TUMBLRTALE====FUCK OFF TUMBLRTALE====FUCK OFF TUMBLRTALE====FUCK OFF TUMBLRTALE====FUCK OFF TUMBLRTALE====FUCK OFF TUMBLRTALE====FUCK OFF TUMBLRTALE====FUCK OFF TUMBLRTALE====FUCK OFF TUMBLRTALE====FUCK OFF TUMBLRTALE====FUCK OFF TUMBLRTALE====FUCK OFF TUMBLRTALE====FUCK OFF TUMBLRTALE====FUCK OFF TUMBLRTALE====FUCK OFF TUMBLRTALE====FUCK OFF TUMBLRTALE====FUCK OFF TUMBLRTALE====FUCK OFF TUMBLRTALE====FUCK OFF TUMBLRTALE====FUCK OFF TUMBLRTALE====FUCK OFF TUMBLRTALE====FUCK OFF TUMBLRTALE====FUCK OFF TUMBLRTALE====FUCK OFF TUMBLRTALE====FUCK OFF TUMBLRTALE====FUCK OFF TUMBLRTALE====FUCK OFF TUMBLRTALE====FUCK OFF TUMBLRTALE====FUCK OFF TUMBLRTALE====FUCK OFF TUMBLRTALE====FUCK OFF TUMBLRTALE====FUCK OFF TUMBLRTALE====FUCK OFF TUMBLRTALE====FUCK OFF TUMBLRTALE====FUCK OFF TUMBLRTALE====FUCK OFF TUMBLRTALE====FUCK OFF TUMBLRTALE====FUCK OFF TUMBLRTALE====FUCK OFF TUMBLRTALE====FUCK OFF TUMBLRTALE====FUCK OFF TUMBLRTALE

heh

Okay sometimes I make posts that I don't want on my permanent record so I'll use VPN but mostly I use VPN for security not shitposting.

Also it is super obvious to mods some guy is just gonna pop into a thread with 0 post history and make a reply comment to some dude about a conversation? Easy to tell that is samefagging.

Fuck I do that all the time

There is shitposting and then there is obvious damage to your lower back.

and that's where you're wrong. Also you're a faggot who doesn't like bio mechs.

cmon you can do better than that ;^)

This man is the true mystery.

GAY NIGGER BUTTHURT NIGGER

YOU MAD FAG? YOU MAD? YOU MAD? YOU NIGGER

ASS SHATTERED NIGGER NIGGER, GAY MAD NIGGER, YOU MAD

FAGGOT FAGGOT NIGGER YOU BUTTHURT GAY

MAD GAY NIGGER

MAD NIGGER ON THE LOOSE

TOO MANY NIGGERS, TOO MANY MAD NIGGERS ON THE LOOSE

TOO MANY BUTTHURT NIGGERS, NIGGERS ON THE LOOSE, NIGGERS IN MY ASS, I FUCK NIGGERS GAY

SHATTERED ASS SHATTERED NIGGER? NIGGER NIGGER?

what did he mean by this?

I gotta say some frames are downright retarded.

I played nezha all the time when I had the game. He's so fucking fast and all enemies burn.

Those are all fine designs, they look good to me.

I'm so sorry OP.

Well I heard that black one has time-stopping abilities and you can go that warudo on things. It's a shame.

They look like generic monsters from Final Fantasy 7, not elite space ninjas ravaging the solar system.

Eh I got to used to mods not doing their fucking job. Filtering all those (1)s may be a bit of a hassle though if you're new to this.

Rip

A time traveler from Holla Forums before undertale was released would be so confused by this shit

Paying to skip the free timesink is objectively purchasing advantage.

I fail to see how a mummy, a guy in a suit, and a chinese mythological character are enemies from FF7.

1st one's fine especially since it looks alien with the finger toes thing going on, second one is basically a cybernetic chinese girl which is fukkin great and the last one looks like a nerd or a robot preist (it's the head) but it's good to have character diversity like that instead of making everything look the same.

making everything look "cool" or "awesome" is a very common trap in character design. None of them are outright ugly and in fact the way they're designed ensures this (lack of human face or human traits), which means they make the "cool" designs stand out instead of making them look generic.

user I…

asians all look the same
what is she, korean, mongolian

SHE BETTER NOT BE JAPANESE

INTERNMENT NUKE TIME AGAIN

YOU DID THIS TO YOURSELF

Nezha is chinesebut not a girl

All I see is a flat chest and no dick on that robot

I wish there was at least one game with only "cool" and "awesome" designs without any of that gimmicky and/or gay shit just to add fake variety.
What's next, a fairy frame? It's not like there is any consistency left.

Oberon is already a thing
aka named after the king of the fairies
He also has alternate skins that make it more obvious.

Nezha is a character from journey to the west, who is supposed to look ladyboy-ish.

user I… you knew didn't you?

oh and for whatever reason the second pic I posted was stretched, here's a better view

The only advantage you buy is to your free time. You can buy an advantage over where you were but over anyone around you because A) it's a PvE game anyway. B) the things you buy are not actually useful unless you have mods that you can't buy C) if you skip to a higher place you should move to higher level areas where everyone has similar gear anyway.

Warframe started off as SPACE NINJAS but definitely shifted to SPACE WIZARDS over time.

I feel like the ninja aesthetic dropped off fairly quickly, I mean there's no reason to be stealthy, and shotguns and hammers aren't very ninja like. Even the base frames like excalibur, mag, and volt don't scream ninja.

Theme wise I have no problem with that.
But game wise Warframe is like a concept artist's dream with emphasis on how you wake up and reality isn't as good as the dream presented itself to be.

Great art, gameplay that's pretty cool on entry but gets old real quick.

I knew about Oberon but god fucking dammit.

I guess it was more of a bio armor thing, but yeah fuck any sort of theme.

Well I have a huge fucking problem with it theme-wise.

To be honest, I play Warframe in spurts. I play until it I feel it getting boring, then I take a break and play other shit.

I once played over 30+ MMO's in a timeframe of about a year with my ex, just to see if I could find a good one. I'm well versed in the skinner box, how to detect it, and how to avoid it

fuck you wizards are cool
fite me m8 i'll magik a missle up ya bum

That's what I said. Time is the predominant currency of Warframe. Paying cash to avoid spending it is the definition of buying advantage over other players.

The bio armor theme is still there. Nidus is new and he is literally bio armor.

Since his release also came with some ==L O R E==, technically, all Warframes are "bio armor" since Helminth basically repairs and maintains the Warframes themselves

Your space loli/shota is telepathically living in a living suit crafted by a giant tentacle monster

I'm really hoping that we can eventually get to kill the faggot in the orbiter's basement and go full shadow stalker.

Pay to win means that your paying is directly effecting the other players ability to compete with you, I.e. the advantage has to be to their detriment either directly in PvP or by making them irrelevant or handicapped in PvE. That is the entire point and problem with P2W. That is the only reason the term was ever coined. You are artificially expanding the definition to mean any game with a non-traditional business model.

Play some generic fantasy shit duh. Oh wait you already do.

Wasn't there already infested one? This looks cool sure, but did they start to go in circles because they run out of gimmicks?
Will we get another space mummy eventually?

The only one I can think of would be saryn, but she's not really infested. They're also mechanically way different.

Would that be suicide, or murder?

Are you referring to nekros? I don't think he was really infested so much as just death in general.

Except in Shadow of Chernobyl you're explicitly told how the anomalies work if you find the secret ending by bypassing the Wish Granter and talking to the C-Consciousness.

Hey I didn't whine to the devs to tell them what to do with shit, I just enjoy what I like.

And honestly I only played the game for like a month before dropping considering the only thing I like about it is the designs.

It isn't even hard to keep up a conversation here anyway considering that's all anyone talks about when it comes to warframe, because honestly that's it.

You really didn't understand TSD or TWW, did you?

Well it would seem that the warframes themselves have some level of sentience, as they can operate without an operator and are alive like said, so it would be your frame turning on the tenno.

Not much of a lorefag, so no. I mean I know the tenno is supposed to be me, and is supposed to be powering the warframe, but again if shadow stalker can do it so can I.

It's this one.

Except for the fact that by the end of TWW your character is so power at transference that there is no way any autonomous warframe could ever so much as look at him the wrong way without forcing it to jump off a cliff.

WE DARK SOULS NOW

The main thing making Warframe p2w is incessant power creep. They need to go back and re-balance every goddamn weapon they've ever made, and make non-prime weapons have some form of advantage. Hell, I'd accept an "extra slot" that you need an exilus adapter, so they can still be jews off of impatient people, but still technically keep them valid for f2p.

I only vaguely know about tumbler tale, why was it so bad?

But then why can't I just mind control Shadow Stalker, how does he work? Is he not a warframe and just a sentient or something? I just really want a reason for the tenno to be retconned, it's bad enough I have to see them every time I activate my passive or fight a kuva guardian

Regardless of the fact that you are taking about deliberately keeping yourself overleveled and staying in places that are too easy for you instead of proceeding to the appropriate areas, you can do this TRIVIALLY in a day and zero dollars anyway, do you aren't paying to win.

You ever play Archeage, PSO1/2 or Black Desert?

What's wrong with you?

Stalker isn't a tenno nor is he a warframe. He is almost certainly Orokin or miscellaneous human. Based on the events of TWW I'd say it's likely he is a very powerful DEX who stole and highly modified a warframe.

Avoided Archeage because I knew it was an actual P2W grindfest before the hype for it even began. Thank god, every one of my friends who got suckered into it basically confirmed it for me.

PSO1/2 seem like mostly generic MMO with a nicer skin and setting, but admittedly I've still wanted to at least try them.

Never tried Black Desert. Got too burnt out at that point. It looks like a Vindickus clone.

Autism. Same thing that's wrong with everyone here.
I didn't play it, I was just curious about your opinions since you seemed to be an expert on this subject.

Apart from AA you got everything wrong mate.
Go play PSO1. At least try it.

well fuck. Here's hoping DE will actually make them cute then.

An extraslot on non-primed weapons would make all primes irrelevant.

I agree that powercreep is a problem, but I don't think primes are really powercreep.

I'm fine with primes existing as direct upgrades to other weapons, I think the reall problem is evening else: prisma wraith Dex and all of the syndicate weapons.

As it is every one of those modifiers is a direct upgrade, usually better than primes. And normally a popular gun will have multiple competing versions of itself.

The way it should work is that Prisma is exactly like prime except for weapons that don't make sense to have a primed version (e.g. gorgon), wraith should always have equal tradeoffs so that they're different but about equal. Dex is a shit show but it looks like they're done with dex weapons for now so I'll ignore it. Syndicate weapons should either have severe stat decrease to compensate their special effects or have their special effects replace one of their mod slots.

Well if there's one thing I learned from this is that when the next frame comes out there'll be plenty of people to sustain a thread.

this. nothing fucking makes sense until after you've finished the game. really rare in that once i finished it i couldn't stop thinking about it

Don't bother, every Warframe thread essentially boils down to "the game is still not good, still has no content, but we're still playing due to a lack of alternatives in its extremely specific niche" with scattered (1) and done anons all relating at exactly what point they quit the game and never came back.

That's not true last thread I distinctly remember bitching about music theory.

what game is that image, user?

Are you referring to the mystery/story aspect or the gameplay?

I dumped quite a few hours into the PSO1 and it's aesthetically one of my favorite games. I kinda miss PSO being a self contained sort of game. It's good to see Sega supporting it with lots of content but a lot of the content is cringeworthy.