Sega Saturn

Is it as good as Holla Forums says it is or just an epic maymay? I heard about it's success in nippon and segata sanshiro and i think having both an optical drive and cartridges is neat.
What are some good games for it and what's the best emulator that doesn't require a next-gen GPU?

Other urls found in this thread:

boards.4chan.org/v/thread/374081368
romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=15979.0
please
archive.fo/vKhEU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Yes
It had no cart games, the cart slot was for the RAM expansions.
Google
SSF for compatibility (make to use Alcholo 120% for disc image software, pirate it), Mednafen for accessibility

apart from I think 3 or 4 games (maybe just 2?) all games are CD-based. It's the real winner of its generation, its games aged like fine wine in terms of visuals, game play, and music. Unlike Nintendo's 30 game, 20FPS N64 and Sony's JRPG machine (which is still gr8 all things considered) the Saturn has a massive amount of variety, tons of superb arcade ports, killer exclusives, and literally only failed due to SoJ and SoA's rivalries, SoA's incompetence, and the cost of the system. The controllers, both the 3D and model 2/jp pads are still considered some of the all time best, and the system is fairly cheap with back up loading being very easy to do.

Anyway if you wanna be a nigger, mednafen is like OK for 40% of the games, SSF is ok for like 40% of the games with some overlap, and yabuse is a joke. get the original hardware.

**Alcohol

Mednafen does a good job, only a few games do not run perfectly.

see this is the problem with people who suggest emulators
yes it did.

It's compatibly is far better than mednafen's. Does Mednafen still not play PAL Saturn games?

already solved, mednafen runs all region now.

That cart was just a means to run to KoF 95, there were no cart only Saturn games.

Not really, it's meh.
Not really, not really it has a good many games.
Yeah
LOL NO. Those are memory cards that go in the genesis slot.

The best emulator right now is the SSF. I'm going to tell you I had a Saturn for a few years and even though the imports are so cheap it's kind of a pain to boot the thing and wait all the time so I didn't feel like dicking with it anymore so I sold it for like $60 to someone I knew.

How good is with filters. I asked because I want to try emulate Saturn but with those dithered meshes turned into transparencies. The only way to do that is by playing on original hardware with a composite cable.

Albert Odyssey looks like it has the exact same characters from Lunar.

Don't listen to this nigger.

its required to play kof95. games with dedicated carts require them.

i'm using this as command in launchbox, has a nice scannlines and some other good stuff.

-ss.special nn2x -ss.scanlines 10 -ss.stretch 0 -ss.xscalefs 5 -ss.yscalefs 5 -video.driver opengl -video.glvsync 1 -video.blit_timesync 0 -ss.input.port1 3dpad -ss.shader autoipsharper -cd.image_memcache 1

Butthurt someone said the saturn is meh? Well it is.

maybe, yeah, but using alcohol120% just to run this emu is the worst canceroues shit ever. Never going to install this shitware.

Woah

I don't want meme lines. I want to know if you can turn the dithered meshes into transparencies, like the NTSC filter in Kega Fusion.

Sounds like you're butthurt being too lazy to import games and can't mod your console for shit. That's not the Saturn's fault.

the hw generated meshes are a worthy sacrifice because the saturn is the best looking 240p console ever and frankly the art deserves to be appreciated as it was intended to be displayed.

Reminder that many developers used shitty TVs to test their games on. Not every dev out there had pixel perfect PVMs

waste of money, waste of time, games are janky, controller feels hollow, too long to load

It literally is you dumb fuck fanboy

nah, most devs used pro monitors with RGB.

lol he used the shitty launch controller
Because the PS1 surely didn't have that problem
Back then maybe, but now? Nigger you're missing out.

It's SoA's fault that they blocked the best games coming out here, not the system itself.

I've seen pics where devs had shitty consumer grade TVs to test games on. The only "pro monitors" they had were the ones attached to their computers that they made games on.

Nah
Sega games were especially made for Svideo distortion.
Its how they emulated a transparency effect on many Genesis games

Its the Saturn's fault its region locked in the first place

Not an argument, considering every system besides the PC and Game Boy was region locked.

We've been through this before: Stolar ruined the system and killed it to make way for the Dreamcast. That's a fault ogf the company, not the system. Let's keep the thread going.

its like nigger the game looked pretty bad and the system had tons of games and if SoA bothered to bring them over, market them, perhaps the right company would have left the console race

🤔

genesis didn't support s-video out of the box, and s-video on saturn shows dithering pretty clearly. It was always a compromise, either use RGB and get pristine quality but no dithered transparencies, or use composite and flush quality down the drain and settle with pretty see-through effects.

there's actually an official cartridge that disables region protection, the ST Key.

any siqns from the wachenröder translation.

Playstation rules, sega saturn drools.
Get fucked.

I'm sure it had some good games but for a child during that time when there was no internet, It was a disappointment and I think I only really bought 3-5 games on it. Probably the first time I felt betrayed by a company and didn't buy their next console because of it, before they left that market and focused on just games.

you shouldn't feel guilty, you as a child just had better taste than you now.

wat

Use gdapt and mdapt in Retroarch, they're a lot cleaner than NTSC and look better.

not every household had internet access in the 90s

wat

Nigger when did I say?
That's EXACTLY WHAT I FUCKING IMPLIED you fucking retard, holy shit you're dumb.
>>>/reddit/

And the composite color bleeding was an intended method to blur dithered to be transparent.

kek

oh well

did you think I was being hostile to you instead of striking up conversation? chill fag

And jaguar
Just because everyone else did it doesn't make it acceptable
Sega had zero foresight on top of piss poor planning. Should've shipped with a region lock breaking cart and a good controller in the first place.
Doesn't help that it has a shitty laser and the used market is typically scalper infested.

Graphics getting rendered properly=quality.

Upper mid class Burger pls

Do they clear up dithering?

Coming from a divorced family, my mom didn't have an internet connection until she remarried in 2000. My dad meanwhile was browsing online by 1997.

So yes, a lot of people in the 90s still had no internet connections.

don't feel bad. i grew up piss-poor and only got broadband internet in 1999 after moving away from home. to this day my parents still don't have broadband because they don't want it

boi

And just because they had region locking isn't why the system failed dipshit. Again, Stollar should have officially released the imports. We've firmly established this.

No, but you were reaching and being hilariously stupid in interpreting what I posted.

why are hardware fags in every emu thread?

If you live in a eurozone say no more. That makes sense.

Yet you had a saturn? why were you wasting that rare money on things you did not need while everyone else in 1996 had AOL connections that would be flooded with users trying to get on.

No I was agreeing with you while deriding people who think sonic xtreme would have made a difference

this is a saturn thread, your containment thread is elsewhere

They're literally dithering filters that shade the patterns, if you just want vaseline use a gaussian or soft filter, or NTSC for shitty analog fringing.

with emulation talk that triggerd the hardware fag. What kind of argumment was this nigger?

Funny enough, my internet challenged mom didn't broadband until 2004. While my originally tech-savy dad didn't get it until 2006.

They feel the need to justify their purchase.
Meanwhile I own a Genesis Mega Drive, PS1 and PS2 and I both buy games for them and emulate them.

top kek
are you poor or just tech illiterate

Never said that butthurt fanboy. Its was not a system worth owning back in the day. That is directly the Saturn's fault.
If you want to get technical, having a dual core CPU with 3D capabilities worse than PS1 didn't help. Nobody was going to spend money to buy ports of arcade games which weren't popular in the west in first place.

Anyone have a working (reads games) MK-80000? It seems most of the working units are MK-80000A

go back to your containment thread

internet just was not a priority back then

why do they always reveal themselves

I HATE IT!

must be one faggot spamming his faggotry all over the board.

Albert Odyssey blows

Use deamon tools 4.3

You can with shaders in RA if that's what you want.

You're thinking composte.

Sorta yeah but it doesn't look right

CRT Emudriver Master Race

Then why did you meme text
Are you brain damaged or just first time on an image board?

*composite

you don't seem to understand the angle I'm coming from, would you like me to explain why I pointed out that the image is both emulation and on an LCD?

Yes, it is just as good as some of us tell you.

No mention of Soukyugurentai/Terra Diver? Shame.

the real shame

Is the Evangellion game any good?

Reposting on 4chan

Fuck you Mark. I'm going home.

NEVER COME BACK YOU CUCK!

i get the feeling that these hardware fags actually trolls who try to D&C the Holla Forums board

no, we just spend more time playing the games as they're best played rather than asking how to emulate them

No shit.

I'm not a hardware cuck, I just hate this dead site and it's board owner.

Everyone move here.

boards.4chan.org/v/thread/374081368

The Saturn was a piece of shit.

what is it with bernies?

i clicked on it, now i feel dirty!

What the fuck is even happening in this thread?

Some retard doing a poor job at shitposting I'm guessing.

That was a dedicated RAM for the game so you had no load times between character swapping, learn Japanese.

What the fuck has happened to emulators? Not long ago they kept to their own: an emulator for Mega Drive, another for SNES, another for Atari, TurboGrafx, and so on. And they had nice clean interfaces that were easy to use. Nowadays we get behemoths like Mednafen and Retroarch, that try to emulate everything but are total usability disasters. Why can't they just keep things simple?!

What is hard about typing
into a shell?

Because simple was already done so they had to invent a niche to fill.

Graphical interfaces have been around for over three decades. It's nice to have the command line as an option, but at this point it's ridiculous to have it as the main way to control any software.

Nigger no. Alcohol sucks but the full version that you can easily pirate beats Daemon by being compatible with more disc image types and isn't loitered with chink adware

An user actually telling someone to get the hardware instead of emulating? This is a first.

are you underage or just tech illiterate

You can just associate the filetypes of your roms so you only have to double click a rom to play it. There's also frontends for configuration.

They were raised by retards who thought bernie was a good name.

I have no fucking clue how to use Yabause. Everytime I try to load a game it says it's not set up properly. How the fuck do I fix this shit, or are there better emulators?

Stop
Read the thread nigger

I just go with whatever emulator I can find. And I'm not using Mednafen

Then use SSF, it has far better compatibily than Yabushit. Remember:
-Pirate Alcohol 120% for disc imaging software. The full version works with many disc types, especially mdf/mds files that many Saturn isos are formatted in.
-Different games use different settings, usually the HIGH COMPATIBLY setting works best for most games; the FULL setting actually breaks some games
-Wangbolows only
-Enable HOOK BACKUP LIBRARY allows for an infinite cartridge space for saving games
-SSF has an inherent amount of input lag, the author's admitted to it and there's currently no way around it
-Always have a bios ready for better compatibility.

Input lag won't matter much if I only want to emulate the Saturn for RPGs like Shining Force.

All Bernies are jewish cuck faggots and their existence is proof that the Holocaust never happened.

emulate it for panzer dragoon saga

than use mednafen

and its translated too user
Also
Why the fuck do emucucks have to ruin everything? Can't you fucks go back to your containment thread?

they get very mad you don't play things a specific way. It goes hand in hand with PC gaming despite emulators being available for many systems. Some people just like consoles for one reason or another. There's also a lot of projection in the argument that because the emulator user didn't notice any issues, they must not exist and are being made up by people who play on the original hardware. There's a slight barrier of entry for original hardware, you actually have to pay to own some things, but when it comes to emulators anyone can try them pretty easily - pretty much everyone owns a competent PC these days - so the original hardware user has likely tried emulation as its very accessible.

How is Saturn pirating these days? I'd prefer to burn physical discs to emuing
Mainly because I just finished watching that Sega anime and need to pick a Saturn now anyways

I'd say it is probably a meme console these days. I had one back in the 90's. I never had much games for it though. From what I understand Holla Forumsirgins will mainly recommend the hardcore weeb Japanese games that only came out in Japan.

When it has to come to that for a person to be able to get any enjoyment out games then I say it is mostly a waste of time. That is too much of a hassle. Just like the Japanese don't care for Xbox neither should people care about their exclusive Jap shit that they refused to port over because of reasons.

At this point there are hundreds of thousands of games. There have been hundreds of gaming systems made. Your options are wide open. So why bother with what was a niche failure of a console? Spend your time with some better games dude.

With that said I loved Guardian Heroes on it. Definitely one of the games I played the most back then of the big three in the mid-late 90's. The Saturn controller is also absolutely phenomenal. A perfect controller for 2D games. Although that might not matter for you if you choose to emulate without buying a 3rd party Saturn knock off controller for your pc.

I say don't even bother with it. Saturn emulation is very far from perfect even though it should start making much needed progress.

Because she deserved a happy ending

Guys listen, what if we release our console right fucking now? Tell everyone to make room on the shelves for the saturn and tell developers to hurry the fuck up cause we only have two games ready.

Why even reply you tremendous pile of shit?

Talk to 99% of software engineers and programmers, they are all fucking morons.

People in this thread calling it the real winner of that gen makes it a meme console. It was terrible to program for from what I heard and people unfairly praising it by ignoring all its flaws.

NA fag here as well, I had one when they first came out and man was the library of games lacking. A lot of the games were fun, but most of the best stuff was moonspeak imports, and I just don't have the patience for that.

CURSE YOU BERNIE STOLAR

It's a hipster meme, hence why they're so fucking expensive.

I didn't even know a fucking saturn came out in the first place. I thought SEGA just went from Genesis to Dreamcast

Faggots are now gutting the disk drives and putting SD card slots in them instead.

For some reason they can not be bothered to look up how to fix no disk read errors and take the 10 minutes it takes to fix it. I Hope they list the "dead" lasers up for sale somewhere at least.

She didn't die for this

The thing is the console isn't necessarily bad. It would be very disingenuous for me to say it was better than Playstation or N64 though. Even if it technically might have been it wouldn't matter at all considering the lack of games and care it got in the west. If you are a Jap and loved the Saturn more power to you since you probably had a lot more of a reason to care for the console since it got a lot more support there. For North America it was definitely a distant third in comparison to N64 and PlayStation. I mean I still have nostalgia for it. I had my fun with it even if I never had much games. I also had the first Tomb Raider for Saturn.

You aren't alone many in the US had no idea about it. We didn't know back then how insanely mismanaged Sega was as a company. I didn't even have a clue about 32x and CD until many years after they came out.

There is a good reason you will still see some discussion about N64 and Playstation to this day but very little about the Saturn in general. Even if they were third party games on other consoles. The Saturn simply wasn't successful and a lot of it is Sega's fault anyways.

this thread is a joke. We all know that real Hardware is the only way to go! Every user has the same opinion on this.

This is true
Software on the other hand…
Also about how many of the japanese games have been translated at this point?

Is in great demand/Short supply, so poorfags get salty about the price.
Very little. Your choices are Policenauts, the 2 unreleased shining force games + a rewrite of the first game, Dragon force 2, and a random fighting game and some random visual novel not-game.

If you were a PAL saturn owner like I was back in the day it was basically arcade ports and games that were on the ps1 so it wasn't that great.

If you were able to access the entire library its a great console and is almost arcade perfect with 2D games.

Surprised no one has got around to translating princess crown.

There is a guy trying, but apparently he got caught up in IRL shit so progress has been stalled..
romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=15979.0

The Saturn was a console with bretty gud games if you were Japanese. As for everybody else, there wasn't enough manpower in the smaller devteams to understand the Atari Jaguar-tier convoluted architecture, so lolnogaems.

Holy shit, kill yourself dude

Releasing it early in America was Japan's idea. Stollar didn't replace Kalinske until 1996, and it was in 97 that he enacted his scorched earth plan on the system's US library and started bank rolling development for Dreamcast.

The only good Bernie was a fictional character.

Actually that being said I'd recommend the Blue Destiny games on Saturn. Graphics are amazing and so is the gameplay. We need more "In-cockpit" gundam games

THIS IS 1/2 OF THE GOOD BERNIES

I think there's a lot of people that don't get how absolutely shit the n64 was. The library of games is incredibly small, and the number of games actually worth playing on the thing is in the few dozen range.There's probably a good hundred or so Saturn games at least worth playing, and due to the nature of many of the games you'll feel like none of them want to waste your time, making it a far more enjoyable system to pick up and play. Cutscene heavy JRPGs and slow action games like on the n64 are in the minimum on the saturn. You'll find a lot of games that are 30 minutes to an hour long and you'll want to replay them dozens of times before you put them down for a time. These aren't just one and done games either, you'll likely want to return to them with friends or to experience the great music or game play again. die hard arcade isn't a game you play just once, neither is panzer dragoon. lots to enjoy on the saturn.

Confirmed for talking out of your ass.

To add to this I've been thinking about learning Japanese and translating a bunch of games for free but before I do I want to see if anyone around here could program the translation in
Because I can't code to save my life

It was only terrible to program for if you were only interested in making shitty looking first gen 3D games. Sega was going to wait another generation before bringing 3D into the home. The Saturn should have been marketed as the 2D power house that it was. I'll admit 3D was in style at the time and people wanted it but it did look like shit no matter if it was on PS1 or Saturn. The N64 looked better but was gimped by not having a CD-ROM and the fact that most of the library could barely manage to run at 20fps.

Sega fucked up so badly with that console. Should have just churned out amazing 2D titles for those four or five years then dropped the Dreamcast. They could have actually stayed in business. Oh and pissing off most of their state side fans with the 32X didn't help things too much either.

you missed the key operator in that sentence:
between:
I think the implication was one of a PS1 problem, the other an n64 problem.

saturn's 3d capabilities weren't fully thought out and weren't the best implemented, but what was done was still crucial for the development of 3D and they were regularly doing the highest end 3D games possible in the arcade scene.

For sure I'm not saying Sega wasn't good at 3D I actually prefer how they did it with quads instead of triangles and there were some early games for both the Saturn and PS1 that looked better on the Saturn assuming effort was put into getting it right. But the Saturn itself was meant to be an extension of the games we'd had in the Genesis era. Imagine what they could have done with the Sonic series if they hadn't jumped to attempting to make it a 3D game. We could have gotten something even better than S3&K.

Maybe they should have taken an extra year with it. Everyone knows why the Saturn failed in the west and I'm not going to list all the reasons in my post. The push for 3D was mainly from normalfags/casuals. Anyone that was playing those games in the arcades knew a console that would be worth playing 3D on was still a ways off. A lot of people seem to forget that a large portion of the PS1 library relied on pre-rendered backgrounds and such.

I'm not going to say the Saturn is some must own hardware or anything but there are lots of good games for it and you don't have to understand Japanese to play most of the good imports aside from the RPGs.

the push for 3D was also from competition and the internal teams. Sega even established a number of teams to push the saturn hardware (all named after celestial objects - although only one kept the name) and they all pushed 3D. It was just sloppy and rushed at first, but after some time the problems were sorted out and tons of awesome 3D focused games started churning out that took advantage of the things the saturn was capable of. Things like infinite planes.

quads over triangles was important too - all 3D today is done with quads, its just computed with triangles because that's how 3D hardware has been designed to crunch the numbers, it's a bit more costly in performance now, because instead of just tracking 4 points in 3D space, it does 6 (two triangles.) In a sense sega was thinking ahead by exploiting the quirks of their system to pull off 3D.

Yes, just about every game that was released on the Saturn and PS1/N64 is almost guaranteed to be better on the Saturn (With very few exceptions).

It's RGB, hands down, simple as that. RGB cables for the Saturn were available in both Japan and Europe. The only place that's deprived of it's majestic quality is the U.S. (Which didn't start caring about RGB until it was too fucking late for the GameCube and Nintendo decided to discontinue the cable and remove the port from second print models on). The only games I think you can get away with saying are better on another connection that isn't RGB are the Western developed titles.

It was Sega of Japan. The Saturn (And, everything surrounding it) was their brainchild of a project because the Genesis failed in Japan and they became jealous of SoA.

please use archive.ism/articles/2009/04/21/ign-presents-the-history-of-sega

You know nothing. The Genesis was selling very well into '95 in the U.S.. The only people pushing for the 3D graphics were the Japanese and "high-end" American companies.

Forgot that Infinity doesn't like using IGN links (It's one of their last quality articles): archive.fo/vKhEU

Do trips confirm?

I know nothing? Must have imagined living through that era then. Anyone with a brain could see that 3D was a generation away from actually begin good in the home. The companies were pushing it but most people were content with the types of games they'd been playing for the last two generations. The idea of having 3D games in the home was nice but you're full of shit if you think a big draw to the 32-bit era initially wasn't arcade perfect ports of games like Mortal Kombat 3. Which would have been amazing on Saturn but instead was gimped with a shitty PS1 port that had load times in the middle of matches. The hardcore players wanted something like an improved Neo-Geo that cost what typical consoles did hardware/software wise.

Life is suffering

Ok so this thread has inspired me to look into Saturn games, and I really like what I see. I only remember the Saturn as "that weird logotype in the imported UK gaming magazines" (live in nordic country) so I have never actually used one.

Original hardware seems reasonably priced. Any specific gotchas for buying a PAL Saturn? Should I get the video-converter thingy in or is a CRT TV better?

Do the PAL Saturns have problems with the laser?

Well at least it was free

SEGA SATAN SHIRO

Explain yourselves

YFW PRETENDO 64 HAS NO GAYMES

Considering Sonic Team was intimidated over the prospect of making Sonic 3, Naka wanted it to be a 3D title ala Flicky's Island, and that they were sort of burned out on making the games and opted for original titles like NiGHTS and Burning Rangers, I doubt we would have gotten a real Sonic 4 either way

Get a model 1 saturn, model 2 controller action replay cart. Don't know about the nuances with PAL but i believe the console is really easy to mod for 60hz. Even then, a lot of games are corectly timed for 50hz, so they aren't slower like games on other systems most of the time.

Use a crt for the light gun games, and definitely use rgb as its a gorgeous console with games that aged visually like fine wine.

with the generation long since being concluded, if you weren't huge into jrpgs the ps1 isn't too interesting, and the n64 only had like 30 games. saturn however is pretty great to this day.

so wait a model 1 can bypass region lock with a action replay?

no, it just has higher compatibility by supporting CWX and JHL and is a bit easier to do the initial swap disc trick for the action replay mod. The lasers are a bit better so it'll last just that little bit longer.

It's like a very slight difference, but it's just a little more desirable. Some games are only supported through the alternate disc reading mode when back up loading them.

Someone post more Segata Sanshiro.

>tfw never had friends or a multitap irl to play saturn bomberman with

Here's the entire saga
Can anyone webm it?

If you lived in Japan, it was pretty-much everything it was cracked-up to be, and rivaled the PlayStation in many ways.

If you lived in the US, it was still a solid console, but many of the exclusives weren't brought-over and its library was sadly smaller.

The Saturn isn't the most accessible console to get into, either. Emulators are functional but are a bitch to get up and running, and collecting is just out of the question these days thanks to scalpers unless you get an Action Replay cart and manage to flash PseudoSaturn to it (speaking from experience, it's a very frustrating but rewarding experience, you'll probably trash a lot of CDR's trying to get the perfect disc).

I'm
You can use a proxy to get tons of games from yahoo auctions japan for cheap. Every saturn game in japan is $5 and under and that's all the system is worth for anyway since it didn't get a smaller library, according to you, it got a MUCH MUCH SMALLER library than the PSX in the US at the time.

sage because old thread is old

it's not hard. just burn at a slow speed, use a good drive, and timing the swap is easy.

or buy a pre-flashed pseudo saturn kai cart, not much more expensive.

All scalpers are getting gassed.

who cares, just back up load tbqh

Neither one of those are rare or expensive, you seriously can't find a TV at a yard sale or goodwill or some shit?

yeah really, the AV cables are like 5 bucks and its a generic power cord that everything from the saturn to every sony console except launch ps3's have used.