Nipponese Learning Thread: 楽しい Edition

YOU CAN LEARN JAPANESE
You know what to do by now. Learn you kana, study your vocabulary and grammar, and try your best to immerse yourself in the language on a daily basis. These are the basic keys to success. 日本語は楽しい時間ですね。

Resources
DJT guide: docs.google.com/document/d/1H8lw5gnep7B_uZAbHLfZPWxJlzpykP5H901y6xEYVsk/edit#
pastebin.com/w0gRFM0c
Anki and Decks
Anki: apps.ankiweb.net/
Core 2k/6k:mega:///#!QIQywAAZ!g6wRM6KvDVmLxq7X5xLrvaw7HZGyYULUkT_YDtQdgfU
Core2k/6k content: core6000.neocities.org/
user's Japanese Learner Anki package: mega:///#!14YTmKjZ!A_Ac110yAfLNE6tIgf5U_DjJeiaccLg3RGOHVvI0aIk
KanjiDamage deck: ankiweb.net/shared/info/748570187
Kodansha's Kanji Learner's Course deck: ankiweb.net/shared/info/779483253
Websites, Apps, and Books
RealKana: realkana.com/
Kana Invaders: learnjapanesepod.com/kana-invaders/
Genki I and II (2nd Edition): mega:///#!aBF1TJYJ!D7Lkamt_oa6QlkMX4k0e7nDRu3qwacyyuoyxvbSego8
Forvo.com: ja.forvo.com/
Mainichi.me: mainichi.me/
Rikaichan: polarcloud.com/rikaichan/
GoogleIME: google.com/ime/
KanjiVG: kanji.sljfaq.org/kanjivg.html
IMABI: imabi.net/
Tae Kim's Guide to Japanese: guidetojapanese.org/learn/
KanjiDamage: kanjidamage.com/
KANJI-Link radicals: kanji-link.com/en/kanji/radicals/

Other urls found in this thread:

how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=6241&PN=1&TPN=1
alljapaneseallthetime.com/blog/all-japanese-all-the-time-ajatt-how-to-learn-japanese-on-your-own-having-fun-and-to-fluency/
erin.ne.jp/en/lesson01/index.html
youtube.com/watch?v=nqJ5wU4FamA&list=PL9987A659670D60E0
youtube.com/user/japanesepod101/videos
youtube.com/watch?v=nOXuIYVzyL4&list=PLE6S_Q0SX_mBtzG17ho7YER6vmzCPJ3B4
youtube.com/channel/UCBSyd8tXJoEJKIXfrwkPdbA/playlists
youtube.com/user/LingoVideocast/videos
learn-japanese-adventure.com/japanese-verbs-te-form.html
ocw.mit.edu/courses/global-studies-and-languages/21g-501-japanese-i-fall-2012/index.htm
kitsunekko.net/dirlist.php?dir=subtitles/japanese/Gundam_Build_Fighters/
youtube.com/watch?v=Ci6UpUkwi-A
guidetojapanese.org/learn/grammar/amount
djtguide.neocities.org/
aoitori.kodansha.co.jp/trial/
pomax.github.io/nrGrammar/
vocaroo.com/i/s0B2kNaQecV6
vocaroo.com/i/s0dBThnG8zC7
www3.nhk.or.jp/news/easy/
aoitori.kodansha.co.jp/
nhk.or.jp/
youtube.com/watch?v=PAXQ7YZ489A
mother3.fobby.net/blog/page/
thejadednetwork.com/sfx/search/?keyword=がば&submitSearch=Search SFX&x=
guidetojapanese.org/learn/grammar/conditionals
guidetojapanese.org/learn/grammar/must
ia801300.us.archive.org/18/items/DirtyJapanese/Dirty Japanese.pdf
allantk.free.fr/?page=kodansha
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

not vidya

It seems as though I forgot a portion of the OP:
Japanese Audiobooks: how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=6241&PN=1&TPN=1
All Japanese All The Time: alljapaneseallthetime.com/blog/all-japanese-all-the-time-ajatt-how-to-learn-japanese-on-your-own-having-fun-and-to-fluency/
Erin.ne.jp: erin.ne.jp/en/lesson01/index.html
R.A. Miller's A Japanese Reader:///mega.nz/#!aNoHDBRa!1q_JZWZnktl16rWZsSz1PHUxQbTvi5UU_VpSIogzxO8
[YouTube Videos]
Namasensei: youtube.com/watch?v=nqJ5wU4FamA&list=PL9987A659670D60E0
JapanesePod101: youtube.com/user/japanesepod101/videos
KANJI-Link: youtube.com/watch?v=nOXuIYVzyL4&list=PLE6S_Q0SX_mBtzG17ho7YER6vmzCPJ3B4
Japanese Ammo with Misa: youtube.com/channel/UCBSyd8tXJoEJKIXfrwkPdbA/playlists
Japanese VideoCast: youtube.com/user/LingoVideocast/videos

It is absolutely vidya

FUCK YOU DEKINAI CHAN STOP TELLING PEOPLE THAT THEY CAN'T BECAUSE THEY CAN REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

threadly reminder

how to work up motivation to study

Think about all the games treehouse and the like will ruin and channel your anger.

Or all the games already ruined.

Those too.

There are no good localizers. Period.

Remind yourself why you're learning in the first place. What motivates you? If it's shitty localizations, or whatever. I believe that it's more important to just force yourself to do the things you want to do, because there's always going to be some sort of mental resistance, especially when you're just starting out. Forget about your intentions and try to find the fun in the act of studying.

The fun comes after the initial hurdle, where you can improve just by playing games. It's only hard in the beginning.

What happened to the old thread?

Was it deleted?

Well, I wouldn't know, because I'm not at a point where I can improve by playing games. I need to study a lot more, which itself requires a positive outlook. It's like getting /fit/, you have to have the right mindset. If you go into it thinking, "this fucking sucks why do I have to be on a diet I miss eating 6 burgers a day I want some chocolate wah wah wah" then you're going to fail because you're not willing to work to achieve your goals. Instead, if you look at it positively, it will strengthen your resolve to continue doing what you need to do.

If you can't change your attitude, then it's best to just mindlessly force yourself into doing one single thing that will get you on the right track, and stop yourself from thinking about it too much, because your shitty attitude will fuck you over. That's my only point; try to stay positive, and if you can't do that, then just do your reps and don't think about it at all.

Auto sage after 300 replies, yeah

For me, the fun is when I stumble upon something I understand.
That's nice.

Yeah, man. There's still a lot I don't understand, but I can listen to songs or watch anime and hear words spoken that I understand. It's a great feeling. You can't have that feeling if you don't study.

DO IT

50 fucking times in your notebook. You bitch.

I finished reading the first chapter of Yotsuba with the reading pack the other day. Felt good, and it also let me know that I really need to get grammar down more.
Thinking about making a more condensed grammar deck in Anki for myself, since I don't like the one that's already out there. Too bloated.

-Te form can be used to say you did x y and z with the final verb ending dictating the tense for the sentence.

How would I say "I did not go for a nap, I went for a shower and studied" as one sentence using -te form? Is it possible or do I just break it into two separate sentences?

寝じゃなかった、 浴びより勉強だった
I think that's how you'd say it, but I'm not sure.

寝じゃなかった、 浴び後勉強だった
I think this is more accurate, but still not sure.

寝なかった、浴びて勉強した。

You guys could use some formal study.

It was not sleep
Splashed water?on it's own I have no idea what it means without shower was study

You've confused verb conjugation with adjective conjugation. 頑張って

Mind spoonfeeding me to see what I can't work out?

basically I'm going through genki turning everything into questions for an anki deck, my minds pretty fucked atm, so I can't think straight

I don't have the luxury of formal study.

At this point I know very little about conjugation. I gave you the right words, though. I know a lot of fucking words.

nap is 昼寝

I was just trying to explain the conjugation for them a bit better, but yeah even then the sentence I posted isn't really complete. Like, most people would get it but it does sound a little stiff.

私は寝なかった、シャワーを浴びて勉強した。

I don't know why my IME fudged putting 勉強した and 勉強します into 漢字, but ok.

You're getting caught up on the dictionary definition of it, just 寝る can work fine for "nap" as well.

Don't be so pedantic, 寝る means to sleep, I imagine it can be used to say "I took a nap"

No, please continue. This is good information.

Thanks But that still doesn't answer my question
If I wanted to use 昼寝 (suru verb) to say that I didn't nap, how would I -te form it as one continuious sentence WITH the other verb tenses being different.

Yeah I get that I could use the other, but since I thought about it, I've been unable to answer the question.

About how many new kanji should you learn per day? I heard it's a bad idea to go overboard with learning kanji, but how much is overboard?

5-10 is probably a good target. Reminder to only learn the meaning and how to write it, not all the readings.

I might be wrong, but I did a quick google search and have read that te- form can't be used in past tense. So basically, there wouldn't be a way for you to use a te- form so that it indicates something that already happened. Also, like explained, the last verb in your sentence is what dictates the tense

At least, that's what this shit says: learn-japanese-adventure.com/japanese-verbs-te-form.html

Keep it small and manageable, maybe when you're starting out you can do more, like say 20 a day, and then when it starts to get overwhelming, you restrict your new kanji to something smaller.

Ok, folks on here tend to focus too much on vocab with not enough grammar, so I guess it would be helpful. Keep in mind, this is first semester Japanese tier stuff… if you've been studying for longer than a few months, you should've learned this already. Don't ignore Genki/Tae Kim!

Anyways, I say -したり, but a better way to explain this form is to say that you attach -り to the end of any た-form verb. Like I previously said, it's similar to using て-form, but instead of having the connotation that you did the listed actions in the order that you bring them up, you're just saying that you did them, even if you're not sure of the order (or it's not important). Here is an example:

私は酒を飲んで、寿司を食べて、昼寝した。-> I ate sushi, drank sake, and then took a nap.
私は酒を飲んだり、寿司を食べたり、昼寝した。-> I ate sushi, drank sake, and took a nap. (I don't remember the order, since I was drunk off sake).

Much like with て-form, the last tense works for the entire sentence… but generally you wouldn't see yourself saying something like "I didn't eat sushi, drink sake, or take a nap.", so keep that in mind! It's hard to gauge at first, but after enough time learning any language, you'll find out what sounds right and what doesn't.

You don't.

I'll never learn Japanese.

You will if you try.

Thanks, you might think I'm being facetious, but it's really helpful. Maybe it's my autism, but I have trouble with grammar, while I have no problem grinding through 200+ cards in half an hour or so.

I guess I don't know how to study grammar in a way that works for me. Genki sucks, it's too slow and boring. Tae Kim is more helpful, but my main problem is that I don't have a way to "check my answers". If I had a formal teacher, I could go to them for feedback, and obviously they'd be experts in the language who could give me direct guidance after I display my ineptitude in particular ways.

Maybe I should just grit my teeth and read until I'm blue in the face, but I think I'll die of boredom before I get anything useful out of it.

It's no biggie. If anyone else is having some grammar issues, I'm up for dropping a mini-lesson if need be. It's good review for me too.

I don't know if this is what you're doing, but don't learn kanji in isolation; learn it together with vocabulary. It will reinforce your retention of both to have something to associate them with.

見物
Oh, what's that? You think this is pronounced "mimono"
WRONG! EAT SHIT YOU STUPID BAKA GAIJIN

I hate words like this.

生 is a ripe-ass cunt.

This isn't really a specific grammar question and more of a general learning one.
I've read through Tae Kim's guide around twice, but I haven't touched Genki. What's the best method to go about using Genki? I see work books and audio clips and I'm not sure where to start.

I'm not a teacher and I won't pretend to be one, though I do get some of it from my parents - but I'd say focus on a few sections of each chapter at a time. Do the exercises, do the assignments in the workbook, and maybe look around to see if anyone has made some "tests" to go with Genki and are sharing them for free online. If you're having trouble with something, post something in here I guess.

To be frank though, if you've actually THOROUGHLY gone through Tae Kim, there's little reason to do Genki I besides review. I'd say start on Genki II, and then go from there.

mimono is also a word.見もの

so far I've only come across words with せい in them. can't wait to get assblasted by the 8 other readings this one kanji has.

well fuck me, they're homographs.

Thanks. I get conjugations mixed up, so exercises might help with that. I just wish there wasn't romaji because my eyes go straight for that even though I can read gana just fine.

I thought I heard once that /a/ or /jp/ or somebody made an edit of Genki without the romaji.

Yeah, when these threads first started up a few years back it was linked.

Okay, that's around the number I've been doing.
Any reason why? Is it just too much information to take in at once or something like that?

No, I've been learning them together.

It's easier to learn the readings through vocab.

Help me read this. Starting from the thought bubble with orange text:
さぞや「unknown kanji」めに見えるだろう, 私が。。。カ不足だと知ってた分かっていたさ。。。!

Then, the green text is:
これあげるから「unknown kanji」くのはおよくよ

The text in the bottom left hand corner:
おかしい。。。まちってるこんたなずじゃなかっ。。。

Finally, Selene is saying
追カロ

Maybe you can understand this chicken scratch better than me. What are those two kanji?

惨め and 泣く

Also this is 追加

およしよ

まちがってるこんなはず

さぞや惨めに見えるだろう, 私が。。。カ不足だと知ってた分かっていたさ。。。!
So, she's saying something like, "Surely you'd agree that I look pitiful, if that's the case, I…I'm not sufficient enough to understand…!"
これあげるから泣くのはおよくよ
Here he's saying something like, "This thing I've given you has made you cry" but I have no idea what はおよしよ is supposed to be. Is it a word?
おかしい。。。まちがってるこんたなずじゃなかっ。。。
He's saying, "It's funny…I mistook you for…" something, not sure
追加
She's just saying, "Have some more"

It's so damn frustrating. I don't understand.

Your main issue stems from the fact that you're mistaking separate, distinct sentences as one run on sentence.

"I must look quite the pitiful sight to you. I knew I wasn't strong enough… I knew it, but…."

"Here, I'll give you this, so stop crying."

"This is odd. Something is off. She's not supposed to be like this."

御止しよ. The polite/honorific/hunmble or whatever prefix お, attached to a verb stem it can make it into a soft order/instruction. Verb 止す's stem form. Sentence ending particle よ.

Also just noticed you put カ instead of 力(ちから).

I think just "this wasn't what I expected" or "it wasn't supposed to be like this" or something to that effect would be better that "she's not".

I went with "she's not" because the person is clearly thinking back on what Mercedes was acting like before in comparison to what she's acting like now. "It wasn't" still works, though.

Learn Japanese. It's your life.
Bitch,

So I'm starting to learn japanese with the help of tae kim's learning guide to japanese. I bought some hiragana flash cards that are somewhat useful as well, however when I write them out I don't think I have good balance. I have a long way to go fellas.

Yeah, me too. You can do it. Don't give up.

I realize this is a highly unlikely request because none of you actually use textbooks or take classes but do any of you have access to supplemental worksheets? Like the kind a teacher would hand out to a class? Preferably either ones that follow the Genki chapters or that are itemized by subject.

Should've asked me a decade ago when I was in college, could've scanned the worksheets I had in class. I'll poke around and see if I can find anything similar.

What about the Genki workbook?

Well guys, I'm still on track to finish the kana by Tuesday. I've seen immense improvement in my Hiragana recognition and can now get through my daily Hiragana practice much quicker and with no errors. Meanwhile, I'm almost done with Katakana.

MIT has some Japanese classes on their opencourse website for free, here's the link to Japanese I:
ocw.mit.edu/courses/global-studies-and-languages/21g-501-japanese-i-fall-2012/index.htm
The only problem with it is they don't have the actual lessons, just the worksheets and solutions. Also, Japanese I does not have any Kanji so you might want to find Japanese II or higher level depending on your skill

Who is this man?

namasensei

くいって ぐいっで
うつるって ぬむぶんっで
すいしって

DRINK BEER BITCH

Learning hiragana/katana is easy

Just open your notebook and make a chart like

– a i u e o
w
s
t

etc.

And fill it out by memory.
Do it again, and again. Study the kana you missed or didn't remember
It took me around 7 or so of these charts to learn them all. It's not hard. The patterns will soon be easy. You'll be singing "ta chi tsu te to" and remember how they look like た ち つ て と

I have it but not the answer key book, and besides, I need more; a sheer numberof worksheets to beat it into my head because I'm an intellectual masochist who learns best this way.

Thank you I'll look into that

Learning kana is easy you just draw out the table once and then tape over / delete all the romaji you come across so you can't be a little bitch boy.

Not with that attitude your not.

It's supposed to be you're.
I'm blaming it on waking up recently, and being too quick to post.

寝ないで、浴びてから、勉強した。
"Instead of sleeping, I studied after taking a shower."

use ないで is a the negative equivalent of te form

Sorry, the second statement is wrong and I meant to delete that. It's either a polite negative command, or can mean "instead of verb" or "without verbing".

Hm, now that I think about it…

Is this supposed to be the Arisen giving her the Arisen's Bond and then regretting romancing her? That weird mask threw me off, so for the longest time I thought it was just a bandit trying to bribe her or something.

In the previous thread, someone linked this site with subtitle files. Anyone know how to use them?

kitsunekko.net/dirlist.php?dir=subtitles/japanese/Gundam_Build_Fighters/

English Dubs are better anyways

Reported for spreading false information.

You can rename them to have the same name as the video file they belong to while placing them in the same folder as said file and your media player should detect them. You could also add them into the file through some program that you can probably find through Googling.

Is there a setting in the player I'd need to alter? Using Media Player Classic for the record.

Actually, scratch that, it worked, but the timing is completely off. Any way to fix that?

What player are you using? I know how to fix it in Media Player Classic.

That's the one I'm using, yeah.

Pause when the video reaches the first dialogue and go to view > subresynch. Right click on the far left time stamp for the first subtitle and set it to current. It'll move all the subs relative to that one.
You also don't need to rename the subtitle file. You can just drag it onto a playing video.

subresynch is greyed out

It shouldn't be if the subtitles are loaded in. Try dragging them onto the video, then.

When I do that, it tries to play the subtitle file as if it was a video

I have no idea what's going on, then.

It's cool, thanks for trying. I'll poke around a bit more later.

view > options > subtitles > adjust your delay step. you can fuck around with this by pressing F1/F2 to increase or decrease the delay at which they appear

don't know if this will help

I get a "Subtitles are not loaded or unsupported renderer" message

go to misc and set your file path to the folder where the subtitles are located

again, don't know if this will help, すみません

youtube.com/watch?v=Ci6UpUkwi-A
maybe this video will help you.

That had the same effect, since one of the paths was the path the vids themselves were in, which is where I'd been experimenting. I'll check the vid a bit later, ironically helping someone else with something ATM. ありがとう

Near as I can tell, this option only accesses a specific website, not subtitles from my own PC?

what do I do with the anki .apkg?

nvm

Japanese fun fact: Use 基(き) to count graves, wreaths, CPUs, reactors, elevators, and dams.

Weebs I need your help, how do you say "butt tornado" in japanese?

Since CPUs and reactors are much newer than the other things, is there any logic behind using 基?

What, like a literal translation? I guess "(お)尻の台風" or "(o)shiri no taifuu".

Fuck, I mixed up tornadoes and hurricanes. 竜巻 (tatsumaki) instead of 台風 (taifuu) is meteorologically more correct if you care about that.

That reminds me I need to upgrade my Computers Grave.

CPUs and japanese graves are both rectangles?

Counters are the worst thing in the whole language. That and nanori but you can get away without knowing it for the most part. Counters are awful.

Remembering kanji is easy as fuck, but the grammar and sentence structure is tearing me a new asshole.

I need to get my mind off some troubling news, so how about another lesson?

What are you having trouble with, user?

Well, I'm just having trouble breaking the ice with the entire grammar/vocab thing. With the Remembering the Kanji anki deck, I have a nice, routine schedule that allows me to learn about 60 new kanji a day.
Whereas with grammar/vocab, there are so many places, I don't even know where to start. I just need something kind of like the kanji anki deck that I can do a little each day.

I know the obvious solution to this is to just use the Core vocab anki deck, but having to memorize the kanji meaning AND the pronunciation is overwhelming as hell. I think I'd like to start with learning the vocab in hiragana/katakana form, then moving on to grammar. Any suggestions?

Genki is a little slow I feel, but it would be best to start there. To be clear, you don't know *anything* about the grammar, yes?

Well, I know a tiny bit from reading through the first couple chapters of Japanese the manga way, but I wouldn't be able to construct a semi-complex sentence.

I started off doing 1 or 2 lessons of Tae Kim a day and taking notes by making flashcards out of the important concepts. Then I did the same thing with Japanese the Manga Way (very solid book). 5 months in and I haven't found any grammar decks that work (but I might try Jisho out once I give Tae Kim another pass), so I just make my own as I go along.

As a bonus, there's a Tae Kim vocab deck that takes an 800-card bite out of 6k that you can study, then go back through TK and reread the whole thing with the examples. That's what I'm doing now.

You may have to face up to the fact that grammar is harder than vocab and just go in.

Once you know a decent amount of kanji vocab, and have read through Tae Kim, it's time to start reading for real. Play through a Japanese game while looking up anything you don't understand.

Yeah, I actually just started reading through some random Japanese lessons site, and I found that taking notes down on flashcards was pretty effective. I will just continue to do that with Tae Kim. Thanks for the help.

Anime always gets my mind of real life. Go watch some Gundam.

That's only when you're new. It will be the opposite once you get more experience.

You're just skimming them.
Learn particles and inflections. That will get you started.

I haven't heard about the importance of inflections, I thought I could just ignore them. What are you looking at that goes into detail on inflections?

Bullshit. I have an amazing retention for these kinds of things. I 60 kanji in a day is only when I'm intensely studying all day. The average I can retain in a day is around 45.

I don't really care too much about being able to speak it. I just want to read it.

*I admit 60 kanji in a day is only when I'm intensely studying all day

Don't do that. That's a sure way to burnout.

Did I use the wrong word? I meant inflection as in grammar, not voice. Like 来た is an inflection of 来る.

You need about 2.5k kanji to be able to read basic text without having to look things up all the time. If you are really learning 60 per day then you can get that within 41 days. At 45 per day, 55 days. Either way, that's ridiculously fast. It is true that studying kanji goes by a lot faster when someone is new. The problem is actually having a deep understanding of the kanji and not forgetting it after a while. It takes time to develop that. The only way to do it is through years of immersion. Flashcards may get the kanji into your short term memory but you need to be immersed in them for them to stick. Don't assume that you really know what you are learning.

Conjugation.

That's called a conjugation

They're also called inflections. That's what Jisho calls them, anyway. It lists a verb's under that.

Ankifags, do you use a radicals deck? Does it help you with kanji memorization?

I use the core2k/6k deck. As for memorization, I will just use mnemonics if I have trouble with a specific word. The whole point of anki is to gradually learn the thing you're studying so that it sticks to long term memory, and anki handles that by itself, so all you have to do is use it regularly.

Are there anything that's meant for Japanese kids around two or three or so years old to teach them Japanese?

I've officially finished learning the kana. I've downloaded Core2k/6k, Anki, and Rikaisama so I guess I am ready to start learning some vocab. With that in mind, I have a few questions:
When should I start reading Tae Kim's grammar guide?
I also want to memorize some Kanji to help build a good foundation for myself. If you have done this, what method do you recommend?
If I am using Core2k/6k and using a Kanji Anki deck, how many new cards per day should I put each deck at?

Bullshit.

友達と一緒に宿題をした。

Start reading TK now. Start building your own grammar deck from the stuff in TK. Start at 10 vocab flashcards per day and bump it up once the number of reviews reaches a stable amount and you feel comfortable (1 additional new card/day =~ 10 additional reviews/day).

リア充は出て行け!

直ぐ。。。

馬鹿

I don't want to learn japanese, shills.

Too bad, now that you've posted here you have no choice. :^)

Truly, 8ch is the worst chan

Just reached a personal milestone. Finally got all the hiragana down. Now, to move onto to memorizing the katakana.

welcome to almost right where you began

According to jisho "counter for installed or mounted objects (e.g. stone lanterns, gravestones, satellites)". So that'd probably be why.

Well considering I started a little less than week ago (And, I do have a bit of an issue when it comes to commitment), I consider it a bit of a personal achievement.

But, then again, I'm doing what I'm suppose to be doing in the first place. So, it's not really time to really celebrate as it's only just begun.

That's a great startup sound.

You might be surprised at how Japanese affects you if you stick with it. It became a keystone habit for me and I was able to add on several things each day that I do in addition to Japanese, without being inconsistent.

Reading through Tae Kim again and I noticed a conjugation I'm not familiar with.

崇君は漫画ばっかり読んでてさ。かっこ悪い。 guidetojapanese.org/learn/grammar/amount

The translation says he's "reading" only comic books, but I can't find any te form conjugations like 読んでて. Is it some kind of slang for ている?

Disregard me, I suck cocks. I was so focused on the sentence I didn't look under it.

It's great practice, once you get farther in your studies, to watch animu with subtitles off. Only turn them on if you really don't understand what's going on!

I was surprised how well I've been managing lately.

Other way around user, the shills want you to ignore Japan and just buy Western Dogshit.

Has anyone been able to look at Duolingo's upcoming Japanese course? It's currently under testing but I somehow managed to get into it via some bug or something. It's been pretty alright (minus the unfinished parts of course).

It should be a pretty good resource in the future.

I don't think you're telling the whole truth

マンコ

tbf what language isnt worthless other than english?

A language is only as worthwhile as the stuff it unlocks for you. If your hobby is gaming then the only worthwhile languages are English, Japanese, and maybe Russian.

OP's thread is appreciated but confusing as it's a lot of info.

Is there a more specific roadmap I can follow?

Are there any good simple Japanese books to read? Not "learn Japanese" books, I mean just books that are written in Japanese, doesn't speak to you as if you were a baby, but also not being too complicated?

Agreed. OP needs the /djt/ neocities page. djtguide.neocities.org/ is a practically foolproof way to get newbies oriented.

apparently they fucked up a week or so ago when I made my account and accidentally made the jap course open for registration. Hopefully it doesn't nuke my progress when it goes live for real.

Fuck 言う, seriously every time I read a different explanation on how it works it breaks every fucking rule of Japanese grammar I know so far and gains about 10 new grammatical functions that make no fucking sense.

I could read an entire book about this fucking 'verb' and still have no clue how it works.

There's a user in the GG threads who we've taken to calling Reanon. He's been posting lessons in the threads every other day. If you want, I can post the lessons he's given thus far.

Duolingo, despite supposedly having made a breakthrough in SRS lately (they didn't compare it to SM2 though), is terrible for teaching you vocabulary and most of the courses teach you grammar poorly as well.

So starting next week I'm gonna force myself to study 5 times a week for one hour. Because I suck at self-motivation, this time I'm gonna make myself accountable to people I know, and If I fail I have to pay them substantial amounts of money.

Do it!

Alright, here's everything up to the latest lesson.

And, that's it. Hope this helps you get started.

I only looked at a couple of them, but he made some errors so I wouldn't advise learning from him over just using a textbook or something.

Okay, such as?

Try this website:

青い鳥文庫ウエブサイト
aoitori.kodansha.co.jp/trial/

Each book are categorized by levels, most of which are elementary to middle school level text which are easy to read. The "ためし読みする" link gives you a free trial of some several pages to read.

This should be in the sticky: pomax.github.io/nrGrammar/

I didn't read them all but I noticed he doesn't point out that not all 一段 verbs end in い or え.

Could you list verbs this doesn't apply to so that I can attach it to picture for future drops? Reading the pic, I'm unsure if he was stating it as hard fact or a generality because, for example, there's the infamous "I before E except after C" line which isn't true for a majority of words in the English language, and I remember my high school French teacher teaching us the different standard conjugations that are suppose to apply to all verbs and finally told us different when we began encountering verbs that didn't follow the standard conjugations.

someone please help me try and pronounce this word:
経営 (けいえい). It's kinda weird, sorta like 店員 (てんいん). Is it like tay-ay? Tay like the first part of the name Taylor, and ay like ayy lmao?

Replace the "t" with a "k" and I guess?

vocaroo.com/i/s0B2kNaQecV6

more or less what this guy said, I don't have much speaking experience but here's my attempt

vocaroo.com/i/s0dBThnG8zC7

In 6 at the start the "途中学校" should be 学校の途中で or better phrased another way. The それ美味しい should be その.

In 10. there's the 彼は全部 but it should be 私ノパンを全部食べました. There's more there but I don't have the time or desire to go over them.

Try looking them up in the forvo link in the op for Japanese provided examples.

thanks, that was what I thought.

what do you guys use to type Japanese characters out with? also is AnkiDroid any good?

The built in Windows IME

thanks user I didn't consider the possibility that Windows would have anything other than a smoldering pile of shit

Prefer it to the desktop app.

Speaking of Anki, is it possible to make a script that randomly chooses a font for display? It'd be nice to have the flashcards in all sorts of fonts for better recognition

バンプ~

Btw, anyone looking for a fairly easy to understand anime should try Azumanga Daioh. Been rewatching it in nip lately and I easily understand 99% of it.

むせる

Wanna know a cool garage band name?
げんじでんきべんき

The writing pad is also really good for looking up new kanji. It forces you to use proper stroke order. Your actual kanji can look like shit, but if you use proper stroke order it will know exactly what you're looking for. So you get all the readings plus stroke order down.

should I study first the verbs?

I do feel verbs are more important and should go first.

how do people feel about recall cards? If my goal is to be able to read Japanese, not necessarily wight it, will I be alright if I suspend recall cards?

use anki on your phone.

Sentences will of course contain all types of words and that's what you should learn. There's no real reason to single out verbs/adjectives/nouns.

If by recall card you mean English on the front Japanese on the back, then I don't like them. With synonyms it can be vague what the answer could be and I think focusing more on what the meaning is in Japanese over what you can translate English into is best.

My personal advice, just read through Tae Kim's grammar to get the basic gist of Japanese grammar and vocabulary. Once you've finished Tae Kim's grammar, start reading. There should be a link to direct you some recommended readings in the OP but I'll give you some recommended links:

NHK Easy News which gives up-to-date (but rather simplistic) news:
www3.nhk.or.jp/news/easy/

Juvenile level reading:
aoitori.kodansha.co.jp/

NHK (great for intensive reading where you absorb complicated kanji and grammar). It's hard but it you find a topic of interest, you won't mind:
nhk.or.jp/

Anki and grammar books will not magically teach you a language no matter how much time you put in. Language learning isn't a test you study for, it's something you absorb and experience. You need to read real Japanese outside the artificial environment of grammar books and Anki.

The sad part is, as long as they didn't change anyone's race or cut half the game's content, this is above average as Atlus USA goes which just goes to show how badly that company needs to die

Fucking mouthbreathing cuck

…That's just what you named your Phantom Thieves, isn't it?

yes, that's going to be a meme.
some /mu/tard named theirs dipset and posted it earlier.

Threadlier reminder.

Are you fucking retarded? The Maymayz line is what the picture taker named his Thieves Guild.

threadliest reminder

If you read my whole post, it'd be clear I'm not defending it. Believe me, I'm the first person to state you should never play any Japanese game in English.

Didn't know you could name that, and considering the quality of Atlus USA's work as previously stated, if it were legit it wouldn't be that big a surprise.

That's red steel's player character cucklord.

I'm looking for some recommendations.

First thing I'm looking for is a "handwriting to text" program, where I could draw a character and then said program would turn that drawing into text. I've seen it before for english, but I believe they got rid of it for Windows 10. It would help for when I am practicing writing words.

Second is a good mobile program. I don't get cell phone data where I am, and I want to learn shit while I'm traveling. Any recommendations?

I believe the other user was right when he said it should say "you can't make me cum"

Look at this.
youtube.com/watch?v=PAXQ7YZ489A
These fags want to you to give them 20 burgerbux a month to learn Japanese in Minecraft. What do you say to that?

you re still a microfag and will relutantly change to 10 when the time comes, just as people reluctantly jumped from 98 to Me and then to XP and then to 7

Are there any good japanese youtubers that upload videos regularly?

Got the hiragana down, should I bother with the katakana or just head on to vocab?

Both hiragana and katakana are used, so don't avoid it.

How well does this guy's lessons work?

It's basic shit, so you're not going to learn much. Good for motivation though.

What's wrong with basic shit? Aren't the basics what you should start with and master first when you learn something?

Alright, the dude knows what he's talking about, but you'd be better off grinding flash cards, unless you really need someone instructing you to do this or that, in which case you should be in a classroom setting anyway. Watch this video. If you think it's helpful, then by all means, have at it. I think this guy is funny as shit, I crack up every time I see his scrawny, warped face, but I'll just say that I don't need any of the type of instruction that he gives. He basically says, "WRITE IT FIFTY FUCKING TIMES IN YOUR NOTEBOOK YOU BITCH". Yeah, I know. Thanks for that. That was obvious from the beginning. He does go over basic grammar in other videos, but, again, you're better off reading Tae Kim (or getting an actual instruction who can interact with you in real time).

His te form video is genuinely useful though, I'd recommend that to all learners.

I don't know why he's so damn hilarious, but he cracks me up every time.

Perfect.

I don't think I know enough to properly use Linux, plus Windows is better for games. If the time comes where I have to switch to Linux, though, I will switch to Linux.

Where I have to switch to 10*

バンプ~

あなたは日本語を学ぶことができます
:"^)

That's awesome.

Will these also teach text?

I want to translate many Saturn and Dreamcast games and spread them to the masses
Especially SGGG

I think I have one of those for the first volume of Love Hina. But, instead of dialogue boxes alternating between langauges, it has both the Japanese and English versions of the script side by side.

I'd like to translate games some day too, but don't you need programming skills as well to insert text?

Surely it's not much harder than replacing the english words in the code with japanese words.

mother3.fobby.net/blog/page/
I remember reading this before it was released. A Saturn may be a little more forgiving than what these folks had to go though for a GBA game.

Don't forget to do your reps!

How many people on Holla Forums do you believe are actually learning Japanese? I'm just curious because I get the impression that maybe there's 5 people at most. If that's the case, and we're all essentially learning on our own time and with our own methods, what is the point of these threads? We don't really spend a lot of time helping one another, beyond simple lines of advice about various learning materials/sources on the internet. Moreover, I doubt there are any native speakers here or academic types who can give valuable information that we couldn't already find on our own.

If these threads exist merely so we can exchange learning materials, then that's justifiable enough for me, but maybe that's not enough to justify a thread. Do you think we should try and organize something, like a dedicated study group that meets at certain times during the week and whose members help each other with homework/studying? If not that, then what would you suggest?

So I'm learning hiragana, and I just went over the n set. For shits and giggles, I looked up "onii-san" since in theory, I would know how to spell it in hiragana. (as おにいさん). However, looking it up came up with "お兄さん", with 兄 replacing にい.

What is the character 兄 ? Is it a kanji used just for shortening a word? Looking it up, it says it's kanji for elder brother, but why would it be shoved in a middle of a word like that?

I want to, I just don't have enough motivation to download anki and actually start

I find these threads useful just for being a resource guide and a thread for general questions and motivation.

Though it would make sense to make a discord or something and set up a study group, because learning with other people can be easier and more efficient.

Encourage more people to learn and help them get started mostly.

Remember that the お in お兄さん is used to display respect/reverence/etc while the さん is an honorific to display the relationship. They all work to modify 兄, turning from a casual use of brother to a respectful use of brother. So it's not really sticking a kanji inside a word, it's sticking hiragana onto a kanji.

It's just a different word altogether. 兄 by itself is あに.

Unless I'm missing something I think you're being too particular about this.

From the sound of things, about 70% of Holla Forums either knows, is learning, or wants to learn which makes sense, considering about 30% of posters nowadays are shitposters from SA/Reddit or shills for the industry that has a vested interest in consumers not being able to choose original versions over localized ones so I'd say these threads are definitely worthwhile. People are only going to get more and more dissatisfied with localizations.

Same meaning though, just different pronunciation

Oh, I forgot about those entirely. Thanks!

It's not really to shorten the word, it's just part of the word; a way you can write it. I wouldn't think to hard about it. There are words which get written in all kanji, a mix kanji and hiragana, kanji and katakana. The お in お兄さん can also be written 御 but it's not so common to write it like that.

兄 as a kanji, means big brother or brother as in a friend or equal or whatever. Some ways it can be read; ways to pronounce it are けい、きょう、にい and あに but there are some more. A lot of kanji can be used as words by themselves, 兄 included, but kanji or kanji and kana are also combined to form new words.

Though they refer to the same thing, お兄さん and 兄 are both pronounced and used differently, each have their own dictionary entries. I'd definitely call them separate words. I'd still say even just a pronunciation and spelling change is more then enough to classify something as another word in most cases though.

Is the actually a Holla Forums discord for learning Japanese? It'd definitely be cool to talk with each other about learning Japanese and Japanese videogames in general.

Discord is cancer.

Discord usually leads to faggots doing and saying embarrassing stuff and attention whoring. If this wasn't the case I'd be for it, but I've never been in a Discord group that didn't eventually become an embarrassing heap of cancer.

tripdubs of truth

I would join one just so I could have some people to practice Japanese orally with, however…

is right. Plus i would imagine that the person who actually does set it up will immediately come out as an attention whore/dramafag, or at the very least perceived as one.

Why did Asian think symbols were a good basis for a language?

Do you mean pictographs? Because I'm pretty sure English letters are "symbols" as well.

That's because they are. When you really get down to it, math can be considered another language as well. After all, if you weren't taught how to read it, how would you understand these equations:
2+2=4
1×5=5
(x4-8)=2
Y=1/cos(x)
8÷0=……
Wait…
What have I done?

Has anyone here tried learning two languages at once? I kinda want to learn german along side japanese.

Yes, Vietnamese and Mandarin which was a mistake. These languages are shit individually, but learning them together makes them even more shit. German isn't very similar to Japanese so you'll probably be fine if you have the time commitment/effort. If not then you should probably just stick with one until you're more proficient before learning something else.

It's much better than a language with a bunch of homophones or whatever they're called. Written Vietnamese is basically pinyin which is Chinese without the characters and it is the most awful thing to read. It's easy to pronounce words but that doesn't help you understand what they mean or let you differentiate between similar sounding words.

Can someone help me?
What do these sound effects mean?

if you do that I think the most likely scenario is you will give up on japanese and just learn german. It's much more similar to English, like strikingly similar, and if you learn ~1000 words you will understand a lot of what you read.

That depends on your tenacity of course, but you might get frustrated when you notice all of the stupid aspects of Japanese like counter words.

Looks like it might be "fwap."
thejadednetwork.com/sfx/search/?keyword=がば&submitSearch=Search SFX&x=

Are those straight lines a "ba"?

I was confused by it because of their shape but I'm not overly familiar with all the different ways different kana are written. But since it has dakuten I assumed it was a kana and not a kanji.

Now that I think of it, the "ga" is also strange looking so the straight lines might just be the way this author wrote "ba" for his sound effects.

Sound effects are often written in katakana instead of hiragana.
ガバッ

I didn't realize that as a general rule, but my confusion was more about the style in which the author drew his katakana, his "ba" looking like ||'' rather than バ

Get used to seeing kana in sloppy handwriting, think about how people handwrite English letters.

Once you know the stroke order, it's pretty easy to distinguish them, even when they're not picture perfect.

For sure, this is the first time I've ever even read a manga lol. I'm sure I'll get a feel for them more over time.

Also thanks for the help.

I'm going through TK and this sentence is confounding me a little, specifically the second phrase 書かないとだめじゃん I've no idea which と this is (I glanced at DoBJG and couldn't find one that fit from my amateur perspective) and I'm unsure as to if it's a double or triple negative due to how じゃん is used.

I know it ends up as a positive but I'm reading it as:
1) Don't write - ? - no good - positive('isn't it not good')
2) Isn't it no good to not write.

Am I even close with how I'm comprehending this? Any input, especially with what と is doing here, would be appreciated.

[negative verb]とだめ is a very common expression.

Literally means something like "if don't (verb), it would be bad." aka "have to (verb)."

Also a lot of times the だめ is dropped completely. So if you see something like 行かないと (very common) remember it means "have to go".

the use of じゃん (short for じゃない) here is similar to how in English you'll end sentences with a short rhetorical negative question like "isn't it?" To convey that, I'd go with "See, you have to write the report after all, don't ya?"

The と in question is と4 in DoBJG, starting at the bottom of page 480 and some relevant Tae Kim articles below.

guidetojapanese.org/learn/grammar/conditionals
guidetojapanese.org/learn/grammar/must

Rewatch until you can say these words in your sleep

Hey, I found this book that teaches japanese slang and informal speech. here:
ia801300.us.archive.org/18/items/DirtyJapanese/Dirty Japanese.pdf
よろしく, bitch.

You're not even allowed to give up.

This is pretty cool and relevant to my interests.

This thread reminded me that I'm procrastinating with my Chinese lately and should really get back into it so I can finally pass HSK 4.

Also Japanese is gay and definitely not vidya related.

Also I'll save you the trouble

And, here's the bonus one.

Well, in fact, comes from a fanbook. The real moetan book is like this.

Okay.
Oh, I see where I screwed up. Right across the top, it says "Kodansha Bilingual Comics".

allantk.free.fr/?page=kodansha

Perfect

Quick questions for you weebs
How much time a day do you dedicate to practicing Japanese?
How much Japanese media do you consume a day?
What's your level of fluency?

Those are some specific questions. Why do you want to know?

がんばれ、みんな!

because it is a slow thread, and so I can get an idea of how many hours is normal to practice

I personally practice about an hour a day, sometimes more. When I have free time at work I usually print out Hiragana/Katakana worksheets. Waiting for my copy of Genki to come in the mail. Can't believe I bought a workbook of my own volition.

I only need about 30 minutes a day to finish all my Anki reps now. I'm fluent enough to play most games, so I use those for most of my practice. That means my practice time varies depending on whether or not I am hooked on a game at the moment.

About an hour a day
It varies. Sometimes I will sit through multiple episodes of anime, sometimes I won't watch anything at all. I mostly just watch anime because I am trying to develop my listening proficiency. I sometimes listen to ASMR, but that type of content is very hit or miss.
What's your level of fluency?
I've only been doing this since January of this year, so I'm very much a beginner.

It takes me about an hour to get through my first anki vocab for the day, then every hour I review the ones I missed.
I started about 2 months ago so I can barely read, I'm still trying to hammer grammar into my head.

Usually about an hour doing reps. Though a few months ago I added the N2 word-list and learning 20 new words a day from that basically doubled my reps. So these days I'm spending 2-3 hours a day on that shit. Whenever I get some free time and feel like it I'll do grammar exercises on top of that.
I'll watch the occasional animu or Jap comedy show. But nowhere near as much as I should for listening. I really need to find a decent Jap podcast to listen to. Would be great for the car.
I'm able to maintain a conversation with dudes in izakayas, order train tickets, order at restaurants and get around Japan in general after about 2 years of study now. Watching anime or whatever even on simple shows shit just flies past me. If I've seen the show before and it's simple enough I can follow along reasonably well. I just finished reading Azumanga Daiou, though there were quite a few panels that went over my head. Was still able to get the overall gist of things, though.

To just sitting down and practicing like in school? None. I use the language everyday though.

Most of the media I consume is in Japanese.

I passed the N2 back in 2009, haven't had the time or balls to take the N1 yet (nor had any need really.) My students say I'm really good at Japanese, but they're probably just comparing it to their English

What's it like teaching nips English?

Pretty much like teaching anything - some people have a knack for it, some don't, some really give a shit, some don't. The old farts are the best because they don't have any shame, the younger people are too worried about fucking up.

Any tips on getting your foot in the door for English teaching? Applied for JET last year and didn't make the interview. Interac this year and my submission has been "active" for almost 2 months without a call-back or anything.
At the moment I'm going for a working holiday visa in the hope I can move to a sponsored work visa with somewhere I find inside the country. Gotta wait 2-3 weeks to hear back if I get it, though.

私は肉が好きです
ハンバーガーは一番ですよ

I don't know what you said.

I'm just a beginner and have reached 食べ物 and 飲み物 so far.

No ブーリ ください

he said
not sure if 出きる is conjugated correctly there, but whatever.

bully is いじめる just so you know

いじめるなください

Should be いじめないでください

I ended up signing on with an eikaiwa, NOVA specifically but there are others, basically as long as you have a college degree and are a native English speaker from a native English speaking country (US, UK, Canada, Australia) you're probably set since they're just interested in being able to say "all our instructors are educated native speakers"

苛めないで下さい is what you want I think

Cool. Might try that if Interac never calls. Hopefully I can transfer from working holiday to work visa without too much trouble.
I've always had the minimum requirements (bachelor's degree, Australian, etc…). Just never got a call back. Guess I'll just need to spread my net wider. Thanks, user.

That's alright, my grammar was probably complete bullshit anyway.

Blind leading the blind etc

I'm convinced that he says nigger on the third time

よくやった!

And so, I come crawling back again. I should have learned by now; learning 日本語 is the only true meaning in my worthless life.

Time to begin anew.

Welcome back. I tend to feel the same way; studying Japanese gives me something to do and makes me feel accomplished. Sometimes I'll just spend all day studying, because I really have nothing else to do.