Dark Souls

Suppose you do find a "sweetly rotting bed" to lie upon. Then what? You turn into a fly if you're already a Corvian?

Other urls found in this thread:

darksouls.wikia.com/wiki/Thread:12179
dictionary.com/browse/prior
mega.nz/#!eN0mESTD!j8xyZY5h9huOuiRmSYbzTkv9la8qCaSjpDqJGAiL8k0
twitter.com/AnonBabble

why do people say dark souls game is hard? just beat it recently and it wasn't that bad

Because they can't git gud.
Adaptable is a better word than Hard unless you're a total dunce who just can't figure it out (like any family members I try to get into the game)

Stop speaking nonsense, that motherfucker is already degrading past the point of sanity, his words merely imply that he is in no way opposed to the current state of the world. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

Marketing, memes, and broken dreams.

Did you know if you kill him you get nothing?

I didn't kill him, but I got the impression that he's a pointless character from the moment I met him.

Depends what we mean by hard. The games are actually quite forgiving. Plenty of bonfires/checkpoints, infinite retries, plenty of healing items.

The games just require you to give them time. DeS and DaS as well both came out during a time of massive casualization, so having something a bit old school was welcomed. It gathered a following and praise and so the more casual players took notice. Because they all took notice, plenty of discussion and memes came out in regards to its difficulty.

not even rubbish.

That question itself is more of a meme than the difficulty meme at this point.

The world of Dark Souls sort of confuses me.

In the first game, you're given the impression that this land of the undead, this kingdom, is a single spot in the world and that any normal human that ends up with some sort of mark of the undead, a sort of curse, is taken to that land.
In the second game, its said that the undead are drawn to go there.
But in the third, its the whole world maybe? And everyone is undead.

That's because the director of the series is a faggot who doesn't want to tell a real story and just gives you vague hints so players can make their own retarded fanfic out of it.

I suppose that could be it.
Honestly you don't need to have everything super logically explained though. I'm fine with things just being as they are in a world and its up to you to just sort of discover and take it as it is…

however, it gets weird when motivations are not clear. So yes, you have this world that the characters of course are understanding but as a player I have no real motivation for my character, in those games, to continue forward and do anything.

See though there's a difference between being undead, cursed with the darksign, and unkindled. Plus there are still just normal people in the games who are none of those. Undead just means you're a hollow, cursed means the previous one but you can't die and eventually lose your mind through hollowing/losing a will to live, unkindled are undead who tried to link the fire but were pussy niggas and couldn't hack it, some of them still afflicted with the darksign. At least that's my interpretation, I could be wrong and it's just fucky and the discrepancies are an oversight.

I thought that being Undead was merely that you can't die, which is itself the curse, and that a Hollow is an undead who has reached an advanced state of degeneration, to the point that they lose their souls and go mad. Not all undead are hollow, but all hollows were once undead, and all undead are destined to become hollow.

So you're saying it's just your theory.

Well all humans are originally hollows, but when the fire was linked, which you're not supposed to do, it later faded and the curse was brought about turning everyone back into a hollow, the immortality is because of the darksign, which the intro in 1 implies that not everyone is branded. "Amongst the living are seen, carriers of the accursed darksign". Though it could mean that those going hollow exclusively have the darksign and everyone else is human, with the potential to be branded and go hollow, but with how humanity works it's unclear.

A gay THEORY

That's actually one of the aspects of dark souls minimalism I like. Why would they craft a motivation for your character ? You're in a land where 99% of living things are crazy and want to kill you. What the fuck else are you going to do but kill them back ? Watch reruns of supernatural ?

Otherwise it's too minimalistic. The idea of a story told only through items is fine, but the execution is much too vague. It's not that it encourages you to speculate as much as it is straight up speculation-based. There are simply too many things that go "hey, here's a neat idea with just enough tidbits to form a hazy outline. We can't give you the main course, that would be overbearing narration :^)"

Bloodborne has less of a problem about it because it outright states most things, but there's also the fact it's much smaller, or to put it politely, focused. There's a bunch of things about the different factions, but at the end of the day all you actually need to know to understand shit is "local cure can turn you into a werewolf because it comes from an elder god". The rest is flavor. Watch any ebin lore video about the game and it's more a nifty retro-engineered making of of the areas than anything else.

Well, sort of. There's a lot of details in the backstory that I think most people either gloss over or completely miss, because they're too busy drawing conclusions to external inspirations like Lovecraft instead of dealing with the game on its own terms.

For example, I think it's lost on a lot of people that the reason blood ministration is mutative is because of a parasitic host. I think a lot of people also never think about why the richer members of society mutate drastically all at once, like Amelia, while the lower-class people mutate slowly over time. For how small it is, it's really detailed and internally consistent.

Wait, what? I thought that hollowing was the result of being afflicted with the curse of the undead.

Fuck this shit. Fuck the lore, it's already raped to death by all these faggots from every single god damned community on the internet who try and run with a sliver of information and use it to write 10 page long fanfiction-tier bullshit. Miyazaki should quit playing coy and release an official god damned Dark Souls continuity so that this shit can get cleared up.

Hollows are vessels for souls, and the undead curse was caused by the age of fire lasting for too long, so when people died they lost their souls over and over until they reverted to the hollowed state. There's lorefags and then there's just the simple shit that makes sense that you can get from just playing the game and reading the items and watching the cutscenes.

Considering vermin is :
I'm gonna go with no, that's not the reason.

This is almost as bad as the "VNs are vidya" weebfags.

Considering the game is called "bloodborne", as in a bloodborne pathogen, considering they incrementally reveal that the Bloodletting Beast is controlled by a giant parasite over several fights and then finally reveal its true form in the final Chalice Dungeon, considering that the vermin are said to be found in the corrupt blood and are literally "the root of man's impurity", considering all of the other enemies which are shown to be controlled by small parasites growing inside them as well (like the snake-men who are actually called Vermin Host, or the Silverbeasts who are controlled by Hateful Maggots), I'm going to say you're wrong.

It's also in the absence of any other explanation, other than "muh gods", which doesn't make sense, considering humans are creations of the gods and there are plenty of creatures with both human and great one blood which don't exhibit beasthood.

Considering it is
And
I'm going to say that it is a video game and you should hang yourself with thaefishing line that bait is attached to.

I prefer dying by becoming an electronic consciousness whose individuality is eroded as a result of interaction with the net, but your way sounds neat too.

It makes more sense when you view how life works from a Shinto perspective. Nioh gave me some insight into Yokai which in tern got me interested in finding out some more details about them. Apparently anything can be alive providing you put a soul in, check out this.

Tsukumogami (付喪神, "Kami of tool") is a term used to categorize a type of yōkai. Understood by many Western scholars as a type of Japanese yōkai, the Tsukumogami was a concept popular in Japanese folklore as far back as the tenth century, used in the spread of Shingon Buddhism. The most accepted definition of the term says that tsukumogami are inanimate objects that once they have served their owner/s for 100 years, they recieve a soul and therefore become alive and self-aware.

They are usually harmless, though they tend to play small pranks. Still, they have the capacity to get angry and can group up to take revenge against those who threw them away or didn't treat them well. For this reason, jinja ceremonies are performed in Japan to console broken and/or unusable objects.

Apply this to Dark Souls where anything can be a vessel. This is most apparent with golems in DS1 and DS2 with DS2 giants explained to have had their soul stolen causing them to be enslaved.

In conclusion anything can be hollow because anything can be a vessel and be possessed by a soul. It's why the Dragonslayer Armor has a will of it's own because it's absorbed souls specifically the ones from it's sporting hunts in the dragon age so no, humans are not the only vessels.

As for the curse, all we know is that the pygmies were branded with it but the lore around it is still incredibly confusing with lots of people spouting off what they think the curse is rather than what it is. Even now I have no fucking idea what it's meant to be, I just speculate that the black circle is the humanity and the flame around it burns it to keep it under control/stop the spread and to also feed the fire to keep Gwyn's age of fire going.

2nd game was a different director so it may as well be non-canon
3rd game implies that the curse of the undead has grown stronger after so many centuries

Gehrman told me that I could play with the doll.
I think I played too rough.

Your guy looks like a faget.

Your point?

For all the time I've played, I've never killed the Doll

Just an observation.

Everything in Dark Souls is just pygmies infected by different flames.
Gwyn and the gods are just pygmies who are infected by the Lord Flame.
Humans are pygmies infected by Dark Flame.
Corvians are pygmies infected by Deep Flame.
Jailers are pygmies infected by Profaned Flame.
Demons are pygmies infected by the Chaos Flame.
Dragons are the odd one out: they're what everything turns into in the total absence of flame/soul.

Every "soul" is just a piece of a different flame, and each flame is the source for a different kind of life. When one body absorbs more than one kind of flame, they horribly mutate.

first reply to this post decides what build i use for a dark souls 1 replay

It's ball-crushingly difficult compared to a lot of modern games that can be won by literally just sitting there and doing nothing. Like, you actually have to attempt effort and press buttons.

Dexterity pyromancy, chaos servants

I assumed she would come back.
Thank god she did.
The Emerald Herald was a mistake.

boring but ok. guess i'll go flamburger since it's a weapon i've not used before

See this is why I despise lore and the dipshits who try and make sense out of it. It's the literary equivalent of taking table scraps and trying to turn them into a five star, three course meal.

Be grateful you didn't get stuck with a Giantdad cosplay

It's great that you learned about shinto recently because of a lore video, but you're fucking wrong. Hollows are the souless guys who came from the dark. "From the dark they came." It's implied giants are cannibals who got so full of humanity they gained mass, but were pygmies at some point.

Generations of people playing over casualized garbage so Dark Souls is culture shock for them the first time they play it.

Sometimes I just sit in the garden pile driving the doll over and over again.
It's therapeutic.

I have missed good souls games so much. Fuck 3's horrible hallway of boring.

I have a giantdad cosplay for each game and two in dark souls 1. One that tumblebuffs SLB onto a zaphander and a classic chaoshander build.

I enjoy UGS and the giantdad aesthetic a lot.

What else are you gonna test your new weapon upgrades on? I mean, she's right there.

I wanna pile drive the doll, if you catch my drift.

This is so Reddit tier tryhard that I'm not even going to bother refuting it. Go into the corner and joint the dipshits who think Aldrich ate Nito.

Might as well paraphrase the theory. This is one I haven't heard.

I would assume because Aldritch uses a weapon that looks similar to Nito's greatsword

He's right about the Darksign though. The last DLC implies that the fire ring that's part of the Darksign was put there by the gods, to contain the spread of the dark. Which means that the dark sigil you can get in 3 is the original form of the Darksign, which was contained because humans would continually leak humanity otherwise.

Gwyndolin using a scythe is pretty strange.

I learned this last night. I went back to him after beating both DLCs since they're interrelated and he was still insane & useless. it's a nice touch in my opinion

There are a lot of nice little touches about the game that I have grown to appreciate.

Mizayaki despite the lore fuckery and the games more linear approach, DaS 3 still has that nice little touch. I can always appreciate when developers put time into their games and craft the world with little details.

It's the lifehunt scythe which is why you make that spell from his soul. He ate dragon waifu. rip

I'm almost certain that's been in the games since Demon's Souls, it's definitely in a few of the games before 3

I honestly think it's easy for some people to just say that because they don't like the idea of their theories being wrong or the possibility that some things are just not as grand as they thought they would be. It's like Velka. I really wanted her to play a much bigger role in DS3 but it didn't turn out that way which is disappointing but I'm perfectly fine with that. However I could tell people like the Ashen Hollow were not and were extremely butthurt over the end result of TRC.

Ain't he the fag that thought Velka was the pygmy?

It's some stupid theory where Aldrich ate the Witch and Nito because
It's fucking dumb is what it is

I know you're baiting me, but the progression in DS1 is that every cannibal you encounter is slightly bigger than you, and then you get to smough, who is a big guy UUUU and it is outright stated that he mashed his enemies into his food. It's a fucking play on the the giant in Jack and the Bean Stalk.
The giants are humanity rife humans, and that was due to cannibalism. Using just a little bit more thought, you can reason that all the giants have those planks covering their faces because they kept eating people and the gods at some point needed to curb that, or some shit, but that doesn't fucking matter to the story, it's just a design choice by an artist.
All of DS1's lore and design was built in a very simple way, and over-convoluting it by stretching what is known over what is not known leads to dumb bullshit like vatti vidya's anal cysts

No he only dreamt of her when eating Gwyndolin. This implies (in my mind) that when Aldrich eats people he also experiences their memories in dreams. It's like the quickening from Highlander.

Yes. He really stretched it when it came to Velka. I explained to him that Velka being the pygmy flies in the face of the lore of DS1 as Velka was known as a deity and a witch, neither can be the pygmy. His Daughter of Chaos theory was good though as that was very fitting with not only Velka herself but because of items and a NPC in the Painted world reinforced that.

Holy shit, a believer in that theory people were just making fun of.
That's great.

I also just recently found yorshka on accident while invading somebody - the guys ganked me on the invisible bridge after I decided just to flip to my death.

Unresolved things like this give me hope for the continuation of the series. We know that Gwyndolin was slowly being assraped in DS3, and we met his brother whose identity was erased, but there's still no sign of where Gwynevere and her husband Flann escaped to, right?

It really was a stretch. It felt like he was just trying his hardest to rationalize something unconventional, just so that he could be original.

So why the fuck does aldrich have the GLGS faggot? Calling the theory bullshit doesn't make it bullshit.

What's worse is that you can't have a fucking conversation with people without some faggot just going, "NUH UH WHAT DO YOU KNOW YOUR IDEA IS DUMB MY IDEA IS BEST" as though it's some fucking competition to see who can pull more bullshit out of their ass. You can cite in game "evidence" for your suppositions, and you can willingly acknowledge that everything you say is more or less speculation and people will still act like there's a definite right or wrong answer, and that their answer is not up for negotiation.

I don't know.
I'm just an observer.
I didn't say it was plausible or outlandish.
I thought it was just a scythe.

I just wanted more answers. The ending doesnt feel as finite as it did with Dark Souls.

When this last DLC was being billed as "your questions answered", it left me disappointed in terms of story. I however really enjoyed it in terms of gameplay, it even got me back into playing the game.

Im sure lorefags will come up with something for their head cannon. But I at least had my understanding of the game when Dark Souls concluded, I had a grasp on what just happened. With Dark souls 3 being over now I really don't have a grasp on the events of the game and rather than being intrigued and wanting more, I just kind of want them to let it be over, let sleeping dogs lie sort of thing.

Its why I find myself liking BB more. The lore is concise and not boggled down with multiple entires and while you might not understand every secret, you have a grasp on the major events and the games eventual outcome.

I mean with Dark Soul 3, what happened when you were done fighting Gael ? When did that fight with Gael even take place ? Where is Londor ? What is Londor ? What does an Age of Dark really mean ? If the fire is fading and the Age of Fire is coming to an end, why can you relight it at the end of the game ?

Nobody did this shit when it was just demon's souls, if you'd believe that shirt

Is it? The blade looks similar but the hilt is obviously different

Is it too much to assume it's just him making a weapon out of the corpses of his prey? I mean, eating guys is kind of his deal.
If he did the Nito Stabby Screamy thing I'd definitely say that's the Grave Lord sword but without that I'm just not feeling it.

Is it necessary to say "in my humble opinion" every other sentence? I would have assumed most people understood if it's not explicitly stated in game then it's speculation, even if it's based on in-game evidence

Hey, isn't that where Gwynevere and Flann supposedly escaped to? It's pretty much DS4 confirmed if true. Your most made me realize how trilogies are kind of a Western thing that wouldn't apply to this series.

what's the proof it was only dreaming

Smough isn't human though, circumstantial evidence points that the knights of Gwyn are from a race of gods. Ciaran talks down to you when she says "You humans always taking what you please". Elizabeth mentions that Artorias has "nary of Dark". I have yet to see evidence that Smough is human but more evidence (because this isn't the only stuff) that he isn't. Can't be a cannibal if you're not eating your own kin.

Of course not, but people act like just because there are certain elements that are open to interpretation that every single nonsensical and insane headcanon is equally as plausible as a "theory" that is built on facts and that doesn't rely on extrapolation of evidence. It's the worst thing in the world when some asshat can't recognize when his ideas are built around flimsy evidence or outright nonsense.

What's the proof it wasn't? The text says he dreamt, no implication of anything else. Bloodborne's the one where "dreams" are a real supernatural plane.

Lifehunt Scythe

Miracle of Aldrich, Devourer of Gods.

Steals HP of foes using an illusory scythe.

Aldrich dreamt as he slowly devoured the God
of the Darkmoon. In this dream, he perceived
the form of a young, pale girl in hiding

Right. Nothing saying he couldn't've then eaten her after that.

i could make a point about ariandal but honestly the lore in 3 is just convoluted and stupid like most everything else in the game

and nothing saying he did

Nigger think of the timeline. He hasn't finished eating Gwyndolin yet how the fuck can he wander off to eat Priscilla, especially since you kill him when he's halfway through his current meal.
If anything he just wrote the miracle based off of that dream and used it since it fit his style.

gwyndolin looks pretty dead to me bruv

gwyndolin doesn't have the power of lifehunt tho

This isn't exactly part of the conversation you guys are having, but what happened to the entire area where the painting was? Was this area also an illusion Gwyndolin made?

the flow of plot is distorted in lordran

The hilt is the golden spear catalyst you get after the pontiff fight.

The model is the same, and it is made of purple magic shit that is similar to the deep and dark infusions and the human resin

This is semantics at this point. The gods were of the same kin as the humans, they just took a different soul. Same as the witches, same as nito, maybe, Nito's the only one I don't know very much on.

I'd imagine that the painting rotted, a new one was made, placed somewhere else, and the location lost relevance

The fight with Gael is sort of implied to be at the end of everything. The Dreg Heap and The Ringed City are, after all, way more temporally fucked than the rest of Lothric, since you can encounter the Dragonslayer Armour, a desert fire sorceress and Eygon again. What exactly you acomplish by defeating him, I don't know. You get the blood of the Dark Soul, which is suppousedly a pigment for the new painted world, but I haven't tried using it yet.
You can relight it, but it doesn't mean it will do any good. In Dark Souls, when you linked the fire, it ended in massive explosion, whereas in 3, you simply light yourself on fire, implying that the universe has been fucked to the point that even linking the fire is useless. Which makes sense, Dark Souls biggest threat was essentially universal entropy.

By the sound of it Gwyndolin does seem to be barely alive, Aldrich is just eating him by inches and using his body as a prosthetic in the process. Also Gwndolin does not need to have the power of Lifehunt, I suppose Aldrich just needed the knowledge of it and its source in order to create a facsimile of it.

You imply that he has to have consumed her in order to gain her powers. He could have very well just made it himself. In fact he probably did because he would just be using the actual scythe otherwise. In any case it's left ambiguous. Unless you have definitive mention of her death then it's completely plausible she's still alive. Especially considering she's crossbreed and hidden very well.

She was killed by the chosen undead
You did kill her, right? You wouldn't let a disgusting mix breed beast roam even one quarter of the land, even in a painted prison, would you?

That makes sense in context of the first DLC, but what happened to that gigantic building? In DS3, there's just a simple tower in its place with a girl at the top claiming to be Gwyndolin's sister. Knowing the series, it doesn't seem as if a real answer has been given yet.

I cut off her tail then warped back to the Anor Lando bonfire as to not kill her

Only thing we can say for sure is that the pygmies, the witches, the giants and the gods are all humanoid.

checked

i mean he ate gwyndolin and gained HIS power so i kind of assume he works vaguely like kirby

I don't think an answer more than "it decayed and no one gave enough of a shit to preserve it" is necessary

Everyone ITT needs to watch the DS1 opening cinematic again.

So is that's what the moon god thing is?
A fucking hyper parasite?

He was puppeting Gwyndolin more like. And assuming it worked like kirby then he would no longer possess the lifehunt ability. More likely he gained a vision of her power and decided to replicate it. You could assume he did so because her powers are seen as dangerous in the first game to the point that they needed to hide her powers away.

After the player attacks Gwyndolin in DS1, a lot of change in Anor Londo. I wouldn't be surprised if the Anor Londo firekeeper was in the form of Dragonslayer Armour controlled by Gwyndolin and the entire front portion of that level was illusory.
I'm most likely imagining things, though.

Regarding Priscilla, I swear that unique gravestone around the back of Yorshka Chapel is Priscilla's grave. The place of it near another crossbreed and the fact you have a single corvian praying there which were residents of the Painting World heavily implies it's Priscilla's. I think it could be ceremonial though considering we see other NPC dead bodies in DS3 that were alive in DS1 (Blacksmith Giant and Quelana with the Fair Lady). Priscilla could just be missing.

i said VAGUELY like kirby, i'm not saying he only holds one power at a time and loses it when he takes a hit

don't forget we get to see gilligan too for whatever reason

What turns a man into a Corvian? Velka worship taken to the next level?

Like I said. It's ambiguous. We could go on about it but either way both possibilities exist. If they bothered to say he dreamed her up instead of downright consuming her is more likely. Especially considering that he wouldn't have access to the painted world without the 1 item in the world that would allow access. Which the Chosen undead by this point would already have.

Holy fuck so much retarded conjecture.
You should never listen to anything regarding DaS2 or DaS3 none of them or lore consistent, its all retcon and retardation.

The Dark Soul is the native nature of man.
Its repeated fucking all the time.

The furtive pygmy was Manus, who split his Dark Souls which became the father of man.

The flame, is the opposite of the Dark Soul. They work in opposites, when one grows the other shrinks.
Which is again repeated again and again.

The curse was probably a scheme by the gods to burn the Dark Souls to extend the first flame.

crow demon sex

Still the best prologue

Not really. For whatever reason the proximity of the moon to the earth (close proximity, apparently, since the moon is behind some clouds but in front of another layer of clouds) causes the acceleration of the mutation, but isn't the root of the beasthood itself. More likely than not Paleblood is just the god of death and corruption in the same way Oedon is said to be the god of life and vitality, since the other two potential final bosses (Gehrman and the Wet Nurse) are also personifications of death.

I should clarify since this is how the thread has snowballed that this is all speculation, but it's speculation I'm pretty strongly convinced of since it's a reasonable inference of the information in the game.

Every time I see the Witch of Izaliths glossy lips I want to kiss them. Though I'm just noticing how fucking huge her hands are.

The moon presence is a great one who made the parasites in men sperg out and turn them into superbeasts. Ebrietus and Amygdala were also great ones but they had less of a hand in it, they were just great ones that were around with men, Ebrietus using her powers to help humans contact other aliens and amygdala using men for personal gain or some shit.

Pay attention to the Pygmy's shadow

I should probably clarify that yeah, the moon presence's relationship with the player character and Gehrman is probably supposed to be metaphorically parasitic

Well thank christ I'm not alone on the parasite angle

Miyazaki said this from the Design Works.

“They were originally designed as worshippers of the Goddess Velka whose bodies were warped by their devotion.”

That's all there is. No idea if this is cannon so it can't be taken as that.

pew pew pew

What about it?

That bitch has long ass fingers, it always pisses me off.
She has that dark skin and purple lipstick though so it makes it all up

What I meant was the little bugs that are found in old one blood and beast blood. The beasthood is caused by insects infecting the host and causing genetic changes that seem like magic;the full moon bringing on werewolfism is taken as inspiration and the moon presence is supposed to be the embodiment of that change.
All of this is speculation though, but Myazaki has said he does take inspiration from western stories in some interview I think

Is Scholar of the First Sin and the DLC for 3 worth playing? I loved DaS1 and put a ton of time into it, but after beating 2 I got tired of it before the DLC released, and I've only played through 3 once and I haven't touched any of the dlc.

Okay I've done that what am I supposed to notice here?

Well that is what I meant when I was talking about Vermin earlier, I assumed they came from the depths of the Pthumeru chalices along with the earliest humans

It grows fucking huge and gets deformed

That is correct then.

So that's what happens when you fuck the pump-a-rum.

It grows, meaning he's Manus. Ignore the fact that shadows work like that, it totally proves he's Manus.

I can't even get far enough in 2 to try the DLC, and the first DLC for 3 has a disgustingly shit first dlc with an enjoyable second.

The DS2 DLC has better level design than the main game in my opinion. It's mostly copy+paste bosses which is a real shame, although they have some cool weapons/spells to get. I haven't played Scholar of the First Sin so can't tell you anything about that.

I liked both of the DS3 DLCs. Ashes of Ariandel isn't very long and only has 2 bosses, the first one sucks but the final boss is a very fun fight. Some neat weapons, all the spells suck. The Ringed City is great. Very cool weapons, some neat spells, fun bosses (4 this time) and a new pvp covenant that acts like the old monk fight from DeS.

What made the fire as well as the souls of lords?

I've found the DLC for 3 to be great if you are a DaS1 fan, if only for the lore in part two. I initially didn't like 3's first DLC, but once you're past the Snowfield and find the Corvian Settlement, it's a good time.
SotFS is fun for the dual wielding movesets, and there's plenty of good times involving fashion souls, but the 'soul memory' aspect of multiplayer makes it difficult to play through with friends unless you meticulously coordinate your characters.

1>2>3

Holy shit I swear I'm dealing with morons.

No the items, dialogue and items descriptions tell you he is manus, the shadow is just flava.

I was making fun of him and the lorefags grasping at straws you double nigger. But no, it's very clearly Manus because the shadow got bigger, not because shadows get bigger the more material there is to block the source of light.

just like how solaire is the sun's firstborn right

No Andre of Astoria.
The blacksmith

So, /dsg/, what do YOU listen to while playing Dark Souls?

lol

The souls of lords were made of the fire
the fire just was, like the biblical "let there be light"
There was nothing, then there was everything

rather than getting upset why not post about what you do like from the games? I'm not even a big lorefag, I just dislike when people misinterpret shit through oversimplification or overexplanation.
I'd love to talk about how wheel is the best weapon and I feel like making a wheel run in all the souls games, but I don't know what armor I'd use or what stats I would pump besides health and endurance.

Wouldn't you agreeeeee?

You do realize Nameless King exists right?

I'm saying that using shadows that get bigger because the Pygmy got up as proof he's Manus is fucking stupid. I never said the Pygmy wasn't Manus, but come the fuck on.

he's a third world brazilian subhuman, just laugh at him being retarded

righto

Are you going to give her the pickle-pee now?

Nice argument there m8, it doesn't even deform if you actually pay attention to how he stands up.

It's entirely possible he only played the first game and ignored everything else, but who the fuck knows.

Can we make a list of all the characters who are confirmed for being dead as of DS3? There are recognizable corpses everywhere and I wish I would have taken a tally of who's truly dead in the series when I was playing through the game.

Am I the only one that really likes the down-to-earth political lore in Dark Souls 2? So much of it mirrors or is directly from European history that I get a history boner whenever I comb through it.

He's never played the first game, this was established last thread.

wew

You got me. I just overreacted after reading that ridiculous theory with the Pygmy shadow.

Too many people overreact to shit that is clearly bait, so you're not alone.

You mean a boss which completely contradicts all given lore and has no reason to exist other then give faggots fan service?

You're like a faggot that says Iron man is Canonically a black strong independent womyn.

Not saying that you're wrong, but I'm interested to know what the lore contradictions are with the Nameless King.

It's been confirmed that Nameless King is Gwyn's Firstborn and Andre is just a blacksmith. Anything dug up through data mining regarding Andre on this is no longer valid.
Like the rest of DaS3?

darksouls.wikia.com/wiki/Thread:12179
It was intended in the original game to have a level designed around it and lore.

But it was cut out.
A majority of the faggots who get so pissed of when lore is discussed are children who only came into the game in 2014 when DaS2 came out.

Which was a fucking abomination, but the only reason I can fathom why anyone defends that shit fest and DaS3 is because they were children with shit taste.

Hello MatPat. Got any more GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYME THEORIES for us? Or are you just going to go get mad at FNAF again.

THIS NIGGA
It says right there in the first fuckin' line

goddamn son, other people don't even need to fuckin own you, you do it to yourself

I missed this.

For me yes and no. Yes because I would love to see the creative things that will come from the team and no because I like the idea of making my own conclusions and I would rather From Software focus on spiritual successors.

I wouldn't concern yourself with Flann, I always got the impression that he was a plot device for Gwynevere moving on from that current cycle. If the Queen of Lothric is believed to be Gwynevere she has this habit of fucking off when things become fucked. I wouldn't be surprised she abandoned Flann the same way she did with Ocieros.

Its given in the game files, guide, and concept art.
As well as an interview by Miyazaki.

Again you nigs are bootyflustered that no one likes the turd that is DaS2 and Das3

But then they changed their minds prior to the game even coming out, so how is it valid?

That doesn't answer my question MatPat.

Waaaaay too late to save face now, nigga. You're broadcasting your 80 IQ all over the board.

Don't expect a subhuman to be able to actual manage coherent reasoning. Just laugh at him.

It's interesting that Gwyn's son may have ended up like the broken Archstone in DeS. I'm fine with how it turned out though, with the sunlight altars being ruined statues of him, especially since the Nameless King chose to cooperate with the dragons, and the player levels up in that covenant by being cooperative with other players.

You're making out discussion of lore out to be way more then it is.
Also your avoidance of the accusation that you're a DaS2 bb is only confirming it further in my mind.

Your like a MH tri faggot defending MhX.

And like I said that same train of logic means that canonically Iron Man is now a independent strong black womyn.
Can't have it both ways, and if you are not

He's right because the theory works in the context that you're only in the first game and nowhere else, so long as you ignore huge chunks of statements made about the first game by the developers.

So I guess you're not gonna answer my question, MatPat.

Not only you ignorant of board history, you are also using the wrong accusations.

Listen if you want to sound like you actually were around in 2011-12, you would accuse me of being Vaati.
I have no clue who the current attention whore you are referring to now and I'm not going to look it up.

You're like the white girl who uses 2001 slang when around niggers
You're not fooling anyone.

See? Now you're getting it! Laugh at the subhuman, don't expect him to actually try logic.

Remind me when Vaati got angry at developers when they directly proved him wrong and went into a hysteria telling the developers their lore was wrong. Like you are doing right now, MatPat.

When did that happen?
If we want to talk about absurdities and shit that didn't happen how about you shilling for this youtuber?

I have no idea who he is, yet you seem to require me to look him up.
How much does he pay you to shill his channel?

You're great at shitposting, keep it up.

Hmmmmmmm

905ddb just can't stop digging that hole he's in.

MatPat always doubles down on his retarded game theories.

As to your question: in the first game, the intro only says, "In this land, the Undead are corralled and led to the north, where they are locked away to await the end of the world." It's not specific as to what "this land" is, and even though Lordran itself is in the north, it doesn't specify that the Undead Asylum is in Lordran, only in "the north" of "this land." I think it's reasonable to assume that the Undead Asylum where you start the game isn't itself in Lordran, but in the north of some other kingdom. Possibly Astora, since Oscar, who breaks you out of your cell, is a knight of Astora. I think Undead branded by the Dark Sign are naturally drawn to Lordran, but the Asylum itself isn't part of that, it's just some place where Undead in this specific kingdom are brought to rot away. You were never meant to escape. Oscar gave you the cell key because he knew about the legends concerning the Undead in Lordran. When you're fully out of the Asylum, after all, you have to hop a ride on a giant crow to actually *get* to Lordran.

And I don't have citations on hand, but I'm pretty sure more humans are cursed with undeath as the First Flame begins to fade. The weaker the Flame is, the more undead appear to be drawn into it and rekindle it with their Humanity. By the time of Dark Souls 3, the Flame is not only reaching the end of its natural cycle, but it's been through so many cycles of rekindling that there's not much spiritual essence left in the universe to rekindle it *with*. Spacetime is collapsing in on itself and probably every last human that exists is an Undead because of it. Even if you go "fuckboi of the gods" route, the game ends with you just kneeling in the ashes of millennia with the tiny, barely rekindled First Flame in your hands as the darkness closes in around you.

And what's your argument, that Iron man is a strong independent black womyn?

What does that have to do with DaS?

Seems like I pissed of the 3 DaS fans

Even got this faggot being passive agressive like a woman

and this nigga circle jerking, let me guess, you took 5 minutes to look for the upvote button before googling how to upvote on Holla Forums?

Nice moving the goalposts there.

It's like watching a monkey fling poo in a desperate attempt to prove monkeys aren't pooflingers.

What goalposts have I moved?

Hey guy, I'm so sure we're right, let me make sure you know I'm so sure that your right, so we can all make sure we are right together

Holy fuck there is so much circlejerking occurring

Ctrl-f "matpat" you're the only one who has mentioned his name once how much does he pay?

Can someone give me a rundown on what happened with this MatPat regarding Dark Souls as I feel I missed out on a spectacle.

naw m8, we're all just pointing and laughing at the same retard shitting himself

I don't have the specifics, but if it's that GameTheory guy, isn't he just generally an enormous fucking faggot 110% of the time? Just use your imagination.

It's just a theory. A GAAAAME THEEEEOOORRYRROHGODILUVDICKS

Keep crying about how you're wrong, Iron Man being fucked with has nothing to do with it.

I don't remember hearing about him being wrong about DaS, but he once got proved wrong by the guy who made FNAF and then threw a fit in his next video on top of deleting the comment.

Ah gotcha not only do you faggots shill for a youtuber you have shit taste.

Nothing some faggots keep on trying to popularize some attention whore.
Notice how the people who are accusing others of being him are the only one who mention him by name.

And neither does this youtuber, but let me guess its okay when you do it right?

tbh the only thing i know about gay theory was that super retarded rant about how 11th century vikings ran around naked and how armor would instantly disintegrate if exposed to salt water

so yeah i'd assume that guy's a total fucking tard. ALMOST AS MUCH OF A TARD AS OUR RESIDENT BRAZILIAN.

wew

I haven't watched any of his videos, if you could read for even a nanosecond you'd understand that.

being this new

Sure bud
Nothing wrong with anime m8, but try to show some taste.
You're approaching /a/ levels of shit taste.

well you and the other DaS fanboys have each other cocks rammed up each other's asses so far, you've become the same organism.

If I I turn of my AC, and listen hard enough I can hear you frantically punching keys trying to persuade me you're totally not the angry one.

I challenge you to accuse me of this faggot, without mentioning his name.
Just refer to me as that Youtube faggot.

I guarantee you will still refer to me by his name.
Which again is trying to push people to look him up, increasing his relevancy.
Same shills same tactics.

Thanks for proving my point.

For anyone just coming into this shitshow.
Here we have a shill, challenged to not mention a youtuber by name the shill fails the challenge as the fiscal compensation when mentioning someones name is too great.

Can you just answer the question how much does he pay you?

Yeah, totally no shilling going on.

wew lad

In what manner is it not?

The same reason 2d western drawn character games is not cartoons.
Same reason character art for castlevania characters is not anime.

Aren't you a cute one.

wat

I just popped in because that was a rather bullshit statement, I see now I should probably pop right back out.

Fucking /a/ the worst cancer.

He's just mad as fuck

DO IT

Let me respond in a thread that I haven't been active with yet
Are you one of the fags in my screencap
I swear DaS3 has only 3 fans but you make up with it in activity.

Dude, just stop posting, it's embarrassing.

Thank you! I've always argued that the first flame is essentially space time in context of the universe. Prior the only "living" beings were Stone Dragons and Stone Trees, but the Flame allowed for the development of other beings and for the Gods as well as the others to develop lands.

As the flame fades, the new world loses cohesion, time stops being interpreted linearly, and space caves in on itself, which can (potentially, but I think this is giving them too much credit) retroactively explain why Dark Souls 2's layout for level design was retarded, but more importantly explain a lot of inconsistencies in locations in DaS3. Example would be how Irithyll and Lothric can both be seen from each other in the distance, yet one has the sun high above it, and another the moon. This also applies to Irithyll and Archdragon Peak.

The Ringed City confirms this, because you can see the various settlements (Including the Undead Settlement) in the distant ruins, converging into a massive pile of ash from the Dreg Heap and the Demon Prince's boss room being Firelink Shrine from DaS1.

More so, Fillianore acts as an anchor that keeps the city from fading, but she is losing the battle to the inevitable corruption of the abyss (evident in the City's dark crystaline state, and the corruption spreading in her eyes). When you finally touch the egg, you see that almost nothing is left at the end of space and time, just an endless sea of ash, and most importantly, the two greatest settlements being the last to crumble into the ashes: Anor Londo (Irithyll) and Lothric.

wrong, the flame is bound to the dark soul, and after the events of dark souls the light life and death souls are consumed by the fire by the chosen undead but the light and dark souls were bound first by gwyn and the furtive pygmy in preparation for gwyn's linking of the fire as shown in the ringed city.

Fuck is it summer break already?

Oh fucking finally actual lore discussion
Where in the lore is any of that supported.
Except that is contradicted by everything in the fist game.
Again people using DaS3 lore to discuss the original.
Remind me again what a masterpiece of lore and world crafting that was DaS2 with the "without rally knowing why" and the fucking volcano on top of a windmill.

Cool allegations dumbass. I'm just lurking here to laugh at the ridiculous lorefagging and shitflinging, and hoping it starts to talk about playing the games again.

On that subject, I've put GIANTDAD away in favour of Marvelous Chester with lightning estoc and +15 Avelyn just for some variety. I suck at PvP so will mostly bother with being a co-op person and clearing the game on the side as far as possible without leveling.

I don't know why I enjoy reading you lorefags argue about this shit but it's great. Shine on you autistic bastards

Yeah you're not upset or anything.

Why are you using bad world design to discredit the lore in DS2?

FFS you were just thrown a ladder and you're digging yourself a hole again.

I just see someone who can't accept that people like different things from him, who then proceeds to fling shit everywhere, like an petulant baboon. Still 1/10 you got me to reply, this'll be the last.

I still think DeS has a much better universe/lore than DaS ever did, and I like BB but it definitely isn't the most original with a lot of it's concepts.

Currently playing DaS3 with a new strength character after my HD wipe. I have to say, the scaling changes to Infusions, as well as the changes to invasions makes it a loooot of fun, as well as Vordt being viable. Been crushing people in PvP while going through the game with either Vordt or my Heavy Great Club.

Because the lore in DaS2 discredits itself
Are you fucking retarded.

Half the motivation in the game, is "without really knowing why" nothing makes any sense and the supposed motivation is a cure for the curse which turns into "become a king"

Which ends up you sitting on a throne which does fuck all but create golems which couldn't of been at all that important because you see them a total of two fucking times.

Oh please, thank you lord ruler of determining the weight of my arguments.

I had one nigger screaming accusations of being a youtuber, and another nigger who did the same who direct linked the fucking youtubers vids.
When challenged to NOT BRING UP HIM BY NAME, the shill fucking failed.

I love it when some faggot tries to be a condescending prick, nothing gets faggots more upset then having their unwarranted self importance challenged.

Once again some faggot who mixes up taste with objective quality.

Of course you do.

we feed dark souls to the fire for restoration of humanity, as undead we are bound to the fire as the mechanism of immortality since becoming undead in the first game involved the dark sign a burning hole on the body that symbolized the burning of the dark soul that caused mankinds enfeeblement reaching the point of drain on the undead.

this is made more evident in ds3 with the humanity sprite being replaced by the ember and our own resurrection by the fire as a failed undead, fire and dark are bound together by the first linking of the fire by gwyn where the dark soul of man along with his own light soul were used to prolong the age of fire.

because it's the same universe and we are still dealing with the linking of the fire's effects and are gaining new information about it and it's effect on the universe.

Which isn't stated anywhere in the game.

Nowhere in any of the lore is that conjecture that the darksign represent the burning of the dark soul.

We feed the dark soul to the flame for what we assume is humanity.
But in DaS many times is the true nature of man referred to as being hollowed.
Its the DRIVE in man which is humanity, lacking that a undead goes hollow.

Hell even DaS2-3 supported this.

Ember is a fucking retarded place holder to fulfill the same mechanics as humanity while being "diffrent".
Which is why DaS is superior to DaS2-3.

Its equivalent to Drakengard original, and Drakengard 2.
Only similarity is in name.
All themes, ideas and lore is discredited largely because the people responsible for those things are absent in its production.

Except by different writers and artists.

That's like saying the Dune series continued after Herbert died.

I want to believe that, the nameless king feels forced, also solaires outfit wasn't special so for him to have all that power and resilience there must be something greater about him

He's a "chosen" undead just like you. He gets stronger by killing and taking in sovereignless souls.

The whole point of the armor description was to state that he was basically just like you, with his own mission (to find his own sun, because he was a warrior of Sunlight and looked up to the Nameless King who found his own path).

The retroactive evidence would be the fact that the Hellkite Drake is guarding the Warriors of Sunlight covenant, which is a depiction of the Nameless King (even has the spear at his feet).

Similarly, the Lothric Knights were more aligned with the Warriors of Sunlight (similar weapon type with the mixed physical and lightning, and the fact that they tamed wyverns), most evidenced by the shrine in Lothric Castle and the Path of the Dragon emote being found on a Drake Knight corpse behind Oceiros and in a place filled with snakemen (serpents being said to be imperfect dragons), which makes sense given the rivarly of Lothric with Irithyll (and as an extension, Anor Londo).

except drakes are unrelated to dragons which is stated in the lore.
Drakes are at best dragon degenerates.

Another thing DaS3 just said to hell with the lore.

Oh additionally, Ornstein was the Nameless King's First Knight, which is why we find his armor and spear in Archdragon Peak in the boss's arena.

The Ornstein in Anor Londo was an illusion, evidence by the same fading death effect he has if Smough smashes him as Gywnevere, Silver Knights, and other illusions in the games (the living trees in the forest, etc). And item descriptions saying he left Anor Londo to seek Gwyn's firstborn. Smough's items also describe Smough being the last knight left behind to protect Gwynevere. I don't think Ornstein, who respected the Nameless King, would've attacked Solaire if he was indeed the nameless King.

Can we at least agree that there appears to be a direct relationship between the Dark Soul and the Abyss? Seems like the Abyss begins to take hold in any place that the Dark Soul is accumulated.

The only difference between someone like Solaire and a random undead you kill is that Solaire had the drive to keep moving up until you either find him in Lost Izalith or as a summon for Gwyn, and his armor/weapons say he was just really well trained. Solaire seems greater than the player because he has a goal he's working towards and prepares himself, while Siegmeyer is seen as a bumbling buffoon because he's constantly having to rely on the player for things he could do.

Yet the description for the Drake Sword says Drakes are seen as undeveloped imitators of the dragons, but they are likely their distant kin. which flat out says that Drakes are Dragons that have degenerated to the point they aren't really dragons anymore.

Humanity is quite literally shards of the Dark Soul, and if you have too much humanity that goes bad it causes a lot of problems. The Puss of Men in 3 is a good example of the fact that humanity is still corrupting people well after those who would know about Oolacile are gone.

Which is why him and smough were executioners of dragons right?

No it doesn't

Nigga can you, my very first comment was that drakes were degenerate dragons not dragons.
You agreed with me and then stated you agreeing with me somehow means I'm wrong.

Furthermore, all dragons are weak to lightning, the exception to that being drakes.
Which are resistant and breath it.

On top of that, drakes existed more then likely before the age of fire, because one all dragon heads in the trophy room are of drakes, and dragons still exist by the time of the fading of the fire.

And you still acting like Ornstein was some dragon lover when he used a lightning spear to fucking kill them with Smough.

I flat out said that drakes are dragons that have degenerated so much that they can no longer be considered dragons. How is that saying they're still dragons?
Where the fuck did I say that? Calm down nigga.

What else would you mean by Ornstein being the firstborns night.
When in DaS3 they rape the lore to make him a dragon fucker.

Can you point to where I said Ornstien was the firstborn's knight?

Miyazaki was in charge of DaS3, and it says so in DaS3's description of Ornstein's armor. Doesn't matter how much autism you have about not liking DaS3.

You're still free to interpret whether Ornstein seeked the Nameless King to kill him or join him, my money being on the latter because he'd have no reason to be guarding the cathedral any longer after the Linking of the Fire, with Gwyn dead and the last source of his loyalty being First Knight to the Nameless King.

Additionally, Gwyn's Firstborn was exiled and stripped from history because he ended up betraying Anor Londo for the sake of Dragons. Nameless King uses weapons and miracles related to lightning, as a former dragonslayer himself. What makes you think Ornstein wouldn't be able to do the same?

r8 my shitty fanfiction tier boss

cool/10

I think the main thing with Dark Souls 2 level design (like arguing most things about dev decisions, giving them the benefit of the doubt here) was that it was more literary transitions through different regions than anything else. Some areas are relatively closer together (Heide's Tower of Flame is visible from Majula for instance still a good distance away in terms of travel time) and although it's been a minute, so is the volcano Iron Keep sits in while you're walking through the area before the windmill, while others have a far larger distance between them. Similar to how a author of a book doesn't write down every footstep the protagonist takes, games don't usually handle how far you have to go to reach a region in it's entirety, especially if they are all in vastly different places. Is it retarded that the elevator goes straight up in the Iron Keep instead of at an angle as it ascends? Yeah, but Dark Souls II and if you ask me Estoc Souls III didn't exactly get any love from me either is shit for a variety of other reasons, but the transitions between areas shouldn't be taken fucking literally as much as they often are.

By the way Why can't these worthless fucks fix poise in any of their shit games? Like holy shit, just remove big weapons and armor if you're not even going to bother making poise a thing. At least we'll hopefully see something not Dark Souls with From's next game

No he was involved, he did not direct it.

To be honest man, I think that's just an excuse. The real reason is simply because they had to rework everything during production. DaS2 by far was the worst in terms of design, though it had some very neat ideas in a lot of places.

Also the meta's not been Estoc since the early patches, and hyper armour system with poise works just fine. PvP isn't just Dark Swords/Carthus Curved Swords with Carthus Rouge anymore, and heavy weapons can trade properly now, though it's always good to have a fast offhand to deal with reactionary PVPers. The Infusion changes make a lot of builds more viable, and the DLC weapons from AoA and RC are actually good. The Twin Ultra-Greatsword loses to any dedicated Strength builds due to out-trading via hyperarmor+raw AR.

so a burning hole that links you to the fire that so far only appears in humans causing true immortality has nothing to do with the first thing it takes from us upon death in both the first dark souls and ds2.
the ember isn't a replacement for the humanity sprite it is what humanity the item has become due to the nature of fire and dark being further intertwined in ds3 as shown by the profane flame, the use of fire and dark by the Aldrich faction,
the soulless form in hollowed, but as humans we are heirs to a dark soul which
in ds2 we lost a portion of our health and form by dying unless we obtain the crown that prevents hollowing which is our actual objective in ds2.

in ds3 we are resurrected by the flame as a failed ash who doesn't hollow unless we instigate it.
while yes will is important it's what dictates when we go hollow but not when we lose memories or form, that's the dark soul and it's state.
we encounter lapp in the ringed city for this reason, it's still possible to hollow for other undead but you being unkindled makes you unique.
except both ds and ds3 are made by the same director.

forgot to change this, is correct.

You might honestly be right. Again I was just giving the fuckers the benefit of the doubt, but looking at it from the angle you gave it wouldn't surprise me if it was all they could do with what little time they had. I wasn't familiar with what happened during production of II so I couldn't make anything solid off of it. I knew they scrapped the lighting system they were showing off in their gameplay trailers, but didn't know it was a full rework of everything.

As for DaSIII meta my friends and I were playing release of the game and dealing with that during my "Oh man can't wait to play a fat roller, what could go wrong?" was probably why I was so salty about it. Although we recently are playing through it again, this time with an extra guy. At least despite stupid shit we deal with it still ends up being okayish . Glad to hear that strength builds are being used more.

Hahahhaha holy fuck.

So I tried putting 10 rapid poison on the whirligig saw but it just doesn't seem to have any effect. Is the L2 just not as effective as I thought it would for applying status or am I missing a tell for the proc ?

They had to switch directors midway because apparently Miyazaki came back to review it (while still working on Bloodborne) and had another more senior designer take the reigns after stating his dissatisfaction. With what he had to work with, he did a good job, but my problem is generally with a lot of the systems. Really didn't like adaptability, really hated the 360 noscope enemy tracking, Soul Memory ruined PvP for me (and no the ring isn't a proper fix), and weapons felt really off for me.

As for DaS3, I agree. Initial game experience was horrible. A lot of systems felt like a mish-mash of Das and BB. Now it's a lot more fun with their fixes.

Pure Str and Dex are both viable, quality has been nerfed, and there's good options for all spellcaster types thanks to both new spells and equipment: Pyros got the most, I'd reckon, with great weapons that scale with their stats, and a fun new pyromancy that acts like timed landmines. Miracles got ways to be pure support or even offensive with the new lightning arrow (can potentially be used in tandem with Corona which is horrible spell on it's own for some spacing play), and sorcerers have a True Moonlight-esque spell which is versatile if you use it right.

Invaders get a break: Hosts can't summon a new guy every time someone dies (they have to wait a decent period), and Seed of Giants lasts 45 seconds now. At the same time, connectivity for Blue Sentinels/BotDM has been improved immensely; two phantoms get summoned decently quickly.

I've seen some fucking autism.

I don't think he's MatPat. I'm getting a distinct "No Apaches" vibe from him or maybe it's a TLGamer vibe.

No shit sherlock.

Okay guys

why is humanity considered darkness? I'm guessing fire is the reverse?

Why is the "age of man" considered something the gods (if you could even call Gwyn an his ilk gods) fear? Because they won't be worshipped anymore? They're dead! What does it matter? I mean, besides Gwynevere fucking off to a second kingdom just to have history repeat itself, there are no gods anymore.

It may just be a dumb theory, but I like the idea that the 4 lord souls are opposites in that Gwyn is light, the Pygmy is dark, Nito is death and the Witch is life. Chances are Gwyn was afraid of the Pygmy replacing him and his group as the ones in power when humans were seemingly at the level of dirt and just didn't want them to get any higher in society, especially after the Witch of Izalith tried to recreate the first flame causing demons to come into existence.

If I had to guess it's meant to be an allegory for the previous generation wanting to keep things the way they were at any cost including duping the next generation into doing it. It started in DaS, got reiterated several times, and in DaS3 the whole mish mash is fucked sideways.

In terms of real life allegory. You could suppose that the gods are the equivalent of Japanese Baby Boomers and the curse of the undead is the education reform.

As far as the in game lore goes I would say it's that kind of sentiment. We NEED to continue the status quo since the alternative is tearing it all down.

t. Darkstalker Kaathe

Yeah I think its just Gwyn and his ilk wanting to keep the splendor of Light going. Dark is an oppressive and ugly future for all so they want to keep it at bay.

Its certainly meant to be a parallel to inevitable change and trying to resist it. The First Flame will go out, you can keep rekindling it but the flame will be weaker each time. Eventually Dark will come and the age of Dark will reign.

Then they had to change it for sequels so the first games endings are a bit weak now. There have been countless ages of fire and dark. Its why they put in the Usurp ending in DaS3, to give a definitive end to the fire and by extension the series.

What do you mean by "the humans made the gods"? Kos's Spider is the only manmade "god", isn't it?

What kind of faggot wouldn't want to bang a witch?

Then wait for the ashes to be two, and for the world to burn away around you.

I'd say it's just people being stupid. Some how already pointed out that majority got used to casualised bullshit. Other than that it seems the same majority has little to no ability of thinking for oneself which might hinder progress.

Age of the dark often happened. It was just a phase. Abyss != age of the dark. Age of the dark is not the complete opposite of age of fire. Age of fire is just period when "gods" ruled the world. Humans was linked/branded to flame by gods. All the Dead, Gods, Witches, Humans could be exactly the same but from different tribes/locations. Gwyn gathered all the power to himself and made okay world, but his source of power was diminishing, while humanity did not even used their dark soul. In the end it was rotting struggle between people who wanted this world to live as it is, while half of population already turned into some monstrosities and others who wanted to change something ie. follow jew serpent teaching. No matter who won, world degraded over time turning into giant pile of ash.

Also souls are not the fuel for fire, vessels are used as fuel/link the flame. This is why souls are remain fucking intact in it, while Lords of Cinder can "live" after linking because they were really fucking strong. well, may be they left bits of their souls to flame to form guardian made out of all lords of cinder. In 1st game you collect souls to gain access to kiln of the 1st flame/proving your worth. In second game you collect souls to gain access, you dont need particular souls for it, just huge amount, in 3rd game you are not collecting souls to link the flame, you collecting corpses of "people" who linked it.

Turning into abyss abominations is not the bad end for humans. World is fucked. Humans were walking soulless corpses to begin with.

Aaaand the last update nerfs even more shit and makes the solo game yet even more boring

aw yiss

patch notes where?

Now that riles up my autism.

Didn't that only last for 15 seconds already? So, what, now it only lasts for 5 or something? Effect expires during the casting animation?
yeah lets make parrying even less viable, we don't want to give players any reason to press l2 in pve
the fuck? was anyone using those?
yeah fuck it i'm done with dark 3 i think

Was Friede that difficult?

Well they did use Dragonslayer Axe for STR and one shot builds.

No no, the other way around, "humans are creations OF the gods". Pthumerians were originally created to be keepers and servants of the gods and humans are descendants of the Pthumerians.

Not even Rom really counts as manmade since Kos granted it eyes. Maybe the celestial emissaries, technically.

Only if your build is retarded, not even Gael took me that much, he was down in like 15.

I didn't respec either because my OCD makes me consider that as cheating.

How the fuck do I get this game working properly on the PC?
Talking about DS1 of course.
And what I am asking is how do I get the resolution to work properly or even at all? When I start the game my view is a tiny box with most of the UI sheered out.
I don't need help with fixing the mouse or getting a controller to work as I will harness my autism to master keyboard only controls.
I really want to get into this game without being forced to get a PS3 as I already bought the damn game.
Again the problem is the resolution and I'm not sure exactly how I can get it to work properly.

are you trying to use dsfix?

If so you better check the dsfix.ini file in the root folder of the game, it can overrride settings.

If not then check if your graphic driver isn't overriding anything

Lastly try several windowed modes or fullscreen modes and see the results

Thanks, yes I have been using DSFix and it wasn't doing anything whatsoever so I was at a loss.
I'm not at my computer now but I'll report back later after trying everything you listed.

gensmash was the hero we all deserved

Try killing the Demon Prince as a mage.
Magic damage does nothing to him.
The fight takes forever.

set 35-38 fps limit, game breaks with more.

Disable AA.

He has pyromancy because he is a lord of cinder.
Every lord of cinder has Flame based attacks at some point
The Abyss Watchers have the fire sword lingering hitbox.
Yhorm has his fire enhanced mode
The Soul of Cinder is fire personified.
The only exception is Lothric, but he never linked the fire.

It wasn't going over 30fps for whatever reason but I'll keep that in mind for the settings, and yeah I don't bother with AA anyways.
Thanks.

Go at least 35, game is much more stable this way.

Pyromancy to begin with was mistranslation. It was something like sorcery/witchery.
He did, but he disliked it very much. Unless it was his brother who did it, cant remember.

Soul Memory was the fucking worst. It split the community who was almost always all over the place and made co-op with friends almost impossible if they went and completed another area if you weren't around. Adaptability wasn't terrible, but I think it being so new and literally almost mandatory to get at the very least to a specific point didn't do any favors. I thought some weapons weren't bad,but then again I tend to end up using maces when I go faith build. What I really didn't like was whoever the hell thought making faith absolutely useless damage wise and kill the viability of an entire fighting style (viability of different types of fighting was oddly enough something I think Dark Souls II did really well with, in comparison to DaS) after some update was a great idea. If you want to lower the damage, fine lower the damage, but give something to compensate for it. If you want to give less spells, cool, but at the very least keep the damage. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DON'T GO AND DO BOTH. Wasting stats (even with the ability to reset, thankfully) on something that is literally pointless to use. It's a whopping 83 damage on standard enemies as soon as you get your first lightning spear, with a whole… 3? fucking casts to it. I get that some people didn't like that faith users could heal and do damage, but in PVP 90% of all miracles (not looking at dark spells) were straight lines that, unless you were dumb and rolled into a wall, easily dodgeable unless they got the drop on you. But I guess it is what it is.

At least Dark Souls III sounds like it got a lot of it's shit fixed. Still kind of annoyed that we can't summon our full group (4 players) in some areas and are able to in others, but I think it's going to be cycling through four guys one after another that's going to burn us out.

Yes, but only if you're like me and have a fixation on slow but powerful weapons and not using shields. Otherwise she's fairly beatable after a few tries, specially if you summon Gael.

is it possible to make the ardeo freak out completely?

people use DS axe too much and the lothric knight greatsword already has lightning on it so infusions made the split damage a bit high.

Ultra Greatsword represent?

Is the goon gone yet?

I love how cancerous posters think they are fucking contributing anything.

The nigga was right, andre of Astora was slated to be the son of Gwyn, that's known since 2012.
You DaS3 faggots hate the fact your OC donut steel edge boss, is canonically fucked and makes no sense.

So you just bring up some fucking unkown youtuber, which reeks of fucking shilling.

nigga

So here we are at a quandary.
I have no idea who that fag is, considering people accusing user of being him, that would me he is the bad kind of faggot.

Meaning you are admitting to being familiar with a cancerous nigger.
So it would seem you're the big fag here buddy.

Cheers, finally got it working properly on my craptop.

Guys, I think something's wrong with my Chosen Undead.

I'd prefer those quads to be used on a more insightful post, but I guess if you gotta call someone a fag that's one way to do it.

For the longest time I didn't know who the fuck matpat was, until someone said it was the game theory guy.
(checked) telling the truth.

(wasted)
Do you know where the "Sans=Ness" meme came from?

It wasn't official though user, that's what they originally planned to do but not actually what happened
(checked)

I don't see anything wrong here

No nigger, because I'm not some faggot who cares about faggot ideas being spout by some faggot.
Nigger you get btfo and now your so sphincter shattered you've resorted to saging.
I can hear you saying to yourself.

No I understand that, however if he was planned to be the son, that means his character design was probably shaped around it.
He also has dialogue that hints at it that wasn't removed.
"Weapons unlike people will never betray you" also he mentions the Giant Blacksmith from Anor Londo.

I wouldn't mind them making son of Gwyn a bossfight, but a edgy dragon fucker was the worst way to go about it.

I can't stop wearing it, it looks too good. Almost 50% of my characters wear it.

You've already bumped the thread several times, at this point bumping and saging it achieves the same effect, also nigga after your
response, the thread will be at 300 posts and start bump locking anyway.

You're only advertising your stupidity.

Speaking of which

And now its 5 times only 2 times with sage.
You should get a job in comedy.

Anybody got the DS3 artbook and wants to share it?

dictionary.com/browse/prior
And what was that you said about bump-lock?

I have the original DaS strat guide which includes the art.

Bought it for collecting but its honestly laughably shit, spelling errors, and game errors everywhere.
The art is good though, and its hardcover.
Will dump art next DaS thread.

I'm sure I have the Dark Souls comic on my computer, but I think I'm missing some pages.

I'm not a pvp kiddie, kiddo, and if you think 'taking slightly more damage when doing the thing that lets you instantly win the fight' is going to discourage people from doing the thing that lets them instantly win the fight, you're delusional. That's why I specified PvE.

The problem I have with parries in 3 is that the windup from pressing l2 to the parryframes actually activating is actually often longer than the start of the attacking animation to the part where you get hit, making them random guesses at best and suicidally stupid at worst. There's just no point in having shields that parry, having them all be weapon art or bash would probably be an overall improvement to shields. Offhand fist or claw weapons were one of the few things you could actually reaction parry with because of how little startup they had and even then it's generally worse than just pressing r1 to win.

I want fucking different playstyles in 3 god dammit. I don't want the whole fucking thing to be r1 spam. I want to be a sneaky little shitter that backstabs and parries my way through the game or a spellcaster that does doofy damage stacking to achieve high numbers at severe penalties to other things, not just 'YET ANOTHER FUCKING KNIGHT USING PYROMANCY OR PYROMANCER USING KNIGHTLY ARMOR AND SWORD' because those are STILL the only things worth fucking doing.

Sure but weren't those all done with physical infusions and a buff instead of dark or fire? Is dark or fire actually good in any way or was the formula just wonky and they felt it needed fixing.

Does anyone know if there is a mod for Dark Souls 3 that changes the hollows to be pink like they were in Dark Souls 1?
I always like the pink husk look over the green and black rotting look.

Thanks user
I can offer you very little in return aside from my love

Here ya go, user. Hope the quality is satisfactory (pic related).

mega.nz/#!eN0mESTD!j8xyZY5h9huOuiRmSYbzTkv9la8qCaSjpDqJGAiL8k0

I gotta say I'm not really happy with the enemy designs in 3 compared to 1. Everything looks like it just fell into a bucket of mold and worms or something.

You know what, you just made me realize something.
So the undead in the game are not traditional undead, that is to say corpses that have been brought to life but human bodies that have had their soul removed right?
Thats why they were pink and shriveled in the first, they were ultimately reverting to pygmy giants; a strange oxymoron.

Why are there undead dogs?

Well now that I think of it more its probably due to nito's soul of death rather then the dark soul.
As thats why there are skeleton undead and hollow undead as well as necromancers.

godspeed

After playing and being disappointed by the Ringed City, I had an idea for what the final DLC could/should've been. Originally I thought that the final DLC boss was going to be some form of the Dark Lord from DS1, as it could've acted as an antithesis to the lord of cinder. The setting I decided on was the capital of Astora fallen to the abyss, similar to Oolacile and New Londo but on a much greater scale. I chose Astora because it's the most prominent non-featured location in the games, and is characterized as the home of a bunch of heroes and badasses. The Impetus for the player to go there is that the ruler of Astora had supposedly discovered the secret to controlling the dark soul and thus the abyss, becoming the Dark Lord. Of course, once you go there, it's a shithole filled to the brim with Astoran-knights-turned-darkwraiths, abyss corrupted monsters and humans, and maybe some primordial-serpent-looking enemies to tease lorefags. It could also be thunderstorming, and not just cloudy and windy but actually down-pouring, almost as if the abyss is literally raining from the sky, covering everything in black-blue-purple goo and forming puddles on the ground. A boss that would definitely be cool would be a beast similar to the one that attacked Astora a long time ago and was made into the evil-eye ring. It would also be a good opportunity to use/explain the Abysswatchers more, having some of them still in Astora fighting the abyss, possibly even implying that Astora was where they were corrupted before you met them in the main game. You could also have some sunlight warriors, who could explain that Solaire founded and passed down his covenant all over the place, explaining why it's so damn prevalent. Along the way you'd find some NPCs or item descriptions that would say the Dark Lord was actually one of the undead who originally journeyed to lordran way back when, and it's there that he found the secret of the dark soul and brought it back to Astora. However, he lost something precious to him and went mad, causing the abyss to go out of control and Astora to go to shit. So you finally confront the Dark Lord at the center/end of the capital of Astora, and he's pretty much a mindless, penultimate darkwraith/Astoran knight, complete with spinning sword attacks, a super-powered dark hand, and souldrain. The Arena is dark and covered in heavy rain, lit by flashes of blueish-white lightning, making the colors of the dark soul. Once you get him down to half health, he falls down and stares at his reflection in a puddle of rain. Then, he says that he's finally found the thing he had lost - his name. Then, he gets up, pulls out his crest shield, and his title changes to Oscar, the Dark Lord. His moveset changes to be a lot more like a player in PVP, only instead of changing movesets like the lord of cinder, he uses different items and buffs like resins and bombs, as well as rolling, parrying, and everything else the player can do, just better. Then, just before he gets to 0 health, he pulls out a giant sprite of humanity, probably the dark soul itself, and crushes it, restoring his humanity and his health. Having absorbed the Dark Soul, his moveset becomes much more like Artorias or Maria combined with Manus, casting black sorcery and flipping around all over the place.
Also there would probably be an optional boss that's a dragon or something.
I don't know, I'm just brainstorming.

BRAVO NOLAN
But really, the sound of a super darkwraith that is just skull knight would make me jizz on my controller.
Skull knight never ever though

I mean Gael was cool but he just came out of nowhere. The pygmy lords didn't amount to anything either. It was just all very flaccid.

I agree in every way, even if we didn't see londor I would have liked to see a better wrap up to what happened to the abyss after DS1

Dark souls couldn't find a premise theme and stick with it. 2 put a wrench in the whole franchise lore wise.

2 did nothing wrong if you assume it took place during an age of dark

It took place during an age of vastly inferior gameplay.

it's really a shame, I'm not even a lorefag but I appreciate storytelling too much not to hate it.

Except it didn't. 3 is the entry that proceeded to fuck everything up, and then finally leave us with a DLC that puts forth even MORE questions, while leaving the unanswered questions even more confusing, thereby giving jobless philosophy majors even more shit to make shitty YouTube videos on.

literally nothing in 2 changed how the world worked. people slowly went hollow, there were four lord souls, etc. the most questionable thing it did was snuggly shattering manus's soul into pieces that each reincarnated into different people

Truly the trollist.

The entire fucking series is a fanfic.

It did fam. I can only blame 3 for being bad by a lot of its own merits but it had to somehow follow up on how badly 2 fucked everything up. 2 is where it all went downhill.

That sounds rad as shit

A lot of weapons became viable because of the changes overall, to be honest. Examples would be anything that makes Heavy infusion worth using now over refined, no more quality/quality bleed builds because both of them got nerfed. R1 meta doesn't work as well with poise and hyper-armour, and nerfs to weapons like Dark Sword, Carthus Curved Sword, and Follower's Saber though you'd best carry an offhand or use supplementary spells to deal with reactionary straight sword users (the ones that fish for R1's while never attacking otherwise).

The Dark/Fire scaling is what throws it off. Fire and Dark booth gave it incredible split damage, almost unpatched Dark Souls Lightning/Chaos tier.

But 3 does explain all of it. Ashen ones are unkindled, basically chosen undead who failed to link the fire in THEIR respective age of fire. As the current age of fire is dwindling, they are re-awoken to link the flame anew, however the Lords of Cinder, who were tasked with this, refused and instead focused on their own tasks/brooding. This is why you kill them, to forcefully bring them back, to either Link the Flame or begin the Age of Hollows/Dark/Man.

Unlike the Chosen Undead in DaS1, they fall to different forms of corruption besides hollowing (except you, who can hollow as per the Age of Dark questline), which I agree is something that isn't explained about enough.

Forms of Corruption:
1.you can become hollow.
2.Friede has the rot of the painted world on her face.
3.The Abyss Watchers are locked an internal battle with themselves as their blood become tainted with the abyss.
4.Yhorm is brooding over the Profaned Flame's destruction of his citadel (his red eyes are an indicator of corruption too, probably from the Flame itself as every mention if it reveals it imparting darkness/stealing hearts).
5.Lothric/Lorian are both crippled, Lothric through Ocerios' obsession with the perfect heir, and Lorian became mute and unable to use his legs as a result of his brother's curse. Lothric is also meant to link the current flame but refuses to do so.

I don't think DS2 really changed anything, in fact it didn't change anything. DS2 was more or less a copy of the original with a different coat of paint (and less polish). I see it like this:
DS1 established its premise, world, and general theme. The first flame is fading, and the undead are becoming a serious problem as a result. So, you need to either rekindle the flame with the lord souls and prolong the age of fire, or circumvent the problem and just skip straight to the age of dark.
The problem with DS2 is that it has the same premise and plot. You gather the lord souls and become the new "lord" (it doesn't even let you choose to rekindle the flame or not), or in SotFS, you just do nothing?
It's literally just a copy of Dark Souls 1, with all of the themes and ideas watered down and put back together in an incomprehensible manner. The theme of deciding whether or not to prolong something out of nostalgia or to end it to prevent stagnation is either ignored, or just done over again but worse. DS2 just does everything DS1 does but worse. Not only that but it trivialized the Dark and the main conflict of DS1, that is the encroaching dark and the fading of the fire. DS2 makes it inconsequential, as no matter what you do the fire just comes back anyway.
Then in DS3, it uses the "gather the lord souls and light the flame" AGAIN (with a slight twist this time), and does try to do some new things, but in doing so contradicts practically everything established from DS1. If the first flame is becoming too weak to rekindle, why is everything grey and ashy rather than dark? logically the less flame there is, the more dark there is, right? Also where did humanity go? what's the difference between a rekindled ashen one and a regular non-hollow undead? What are embers anyway? seriously where is all the dark? Both DS1 and DS2 (kind of) implied that the world would end through the abyss and the dark, yet here we are at the end of the world and everything seems pretty fucking bright. The only mentions of the abyss are the big black snake monsters, the Abyss Watchers (kind of, it's practically indistinguishable from regular hollowing), the inconsequential boss fight with Wolnir, and, if you even consider the Deep to be related to the abyss, the Cathedral, Sulyvahn, and Aldritch.

It's like all they ever did was poorly copy DS1 rather than try to expand upon it or continue it.
I wanted to know what Velka's deal was, or what the Occult was, or What the Death Soul and Nito where about, or what the serpents were doing. Instead I got more fucking moping about this goddamn flame and a bunch of stupid kingdoms WHICH WON'T FUCKING DIE NO MATTER HOW MANY GAMES WE GO THROUGH.

I guess I could probably sum it up this way:

The series contradicts its core theme of golden ages not lasting by prolonging its story through sequels that make said age last longer and longer every time.

i mean yes sure ok greatswords and UGS are now also viable and not just total trash but at the end of the day pretty much all greatswords and UGS should either be sharp or heavy instead of refined, and UGS have a slightly different playstyle where you want to use fully charged R2 attacks instead of just mashing r1 forever (although you'll often wind up just mashing r1 forever just because the game punishes you for using uncharged r2s) but for fucks sake it's all just slight variations of walk up to a guy and hit him with the sword until he dies from stunlock

i don't have to worry about careful spacing and safe pokes like i'm a halberdier in 1, i don't have to make full use all properties of each attack of a moveset like i'm using a longsword in 2, i can't sneak around like a dex/int in one, i can't blindly run away from threats while hurling magic over my shoulder in a panic like in des, 1, or 2. i can't play defensively letting my foe die from poison like in 2. i'm just stunlocking things with three sizes of sword forever. yeah it's a knockdown loop with UGS r2s vs mashing r1 with a straightsword but it's still the same stupid shit.

ps dark souls pvp is retarded bullshit and totally unrelated to anything i'm talking about here. you can tell because i'm not talking about estoc eagle shield turtling as the only correct playstyle in 1

I think the one problem is, 2 established that the age of fire is prolonged each time, but new kingdoms rise and old ones falter, until they are brought back by others. The issue here is, the prolonged age is like a recharged battery: It lasts for a time, before sputtering out. You can recharge the battery, but it'll never hold as much power as the first time it was fully charged as it gets recharged again and again.

In each iteration of the Age of Fire, a champion undead ends up rekindling the first flame, but others fail to perform this task, and eventually die as time passes. The ones who die are eventually brought back in DaS3, when the flame is at it's weakest yet (look at how linking the first flame in DaS3 looks vs DaS1, it barely registers compared to the massive explosion of the first game), but none of them are doing the job they're meant to do.

The big theme with 3 is it shows that the linking of the flame is no longer efficient, which is why it has 4 endings this time around. The 2nd ending (End of Fire) is an attempt at a slower approach: the linking of the first flame isn't working anymore, so perhaps another approach, in which the embers will gather naturally and grow over time, like they did the first time, with Gwyn, The Witch of Izalith, Nito, and Seathe. In the 2nd ending, unlike the 1st, everything doe fade to darkness (This is the True Age of Dark). It's considered the most likely canon ending.
The 3rd ending (Unkindled End) is the nihilists choice: the cycle doesn't matter, so just put an end to everything. The flame is snuffed out, and the world will fade into the darkness, the flame never to be born again. This would be the state of the world before the great powers kindled the first flame. Kaathe no longer wants this, because he's realized that the darkness cannot exist without the flame, before the Dark Soul. The Abyss would not exist in this ending.
The 4th ending (Ursurpation of Fire/Lord of Hollows), continues the age of fire, in way it has never been seen before: where a single being holds the flame within themselves. This is the closest thing to Aldia's whole shtick: an age between the Age of Darkness and the Age of Fire. In this age, Londor will be made great again, and Kaathe will be able to manipulate the First Flame (through you) as he wills. Hollows rule the world as they hold the key to it's existence.

Honestly I just hope Miyazaki releases a kind of Dark Souls Bible eventually since I don't think anyone is going to find the right answers to everything. I also agree that I wish more was put into things like Velka, the Occult, Nito, etc.

It doesn't affect only the largest weapons though to be fair, but I agree on a lot of points. The spacing isn't as nuanced a thing in DaS3, which I blame primarily on the faster pace of gameplay, the slower pacing being something I wish they had retained from the first game. The primary issue, IMO is the game is too much of a hybrid between DaS and BB, both are distinctive enough on their own to be great in their own respects, but it doesn't work as well in DaS3. I will say though, that Hidden Body and Hush still work for stealthin' it up, and you can play around with magic, pyromancies, and miracles (and their respective dark variants) with the game and it's DLCs out… Just with sorceries in particularly, PvE is better of with Greater Heavy Soul Arrow spam on large threats and small threats dealt with an enchanted weapon.

now I see why this is the go to straightsword

Thrusting R2s when its 1h and 2h.

That was ALL changed prior to the release of Dark Souls 1 so it doesn't matter.
Quit hating on the Nameless King.
it's better than

how can i increase the cancer ?

3/10, try harder

Nevermind, didn't see the note text.

Why is sorting though textures so time consuming

carthus cancer sword

I've never finished DaS2 through NG+. DaS1 I finished through NG+, DeS I finished through like +5 at least, but DaS 2 I've never even gotten to Aldia's Keep in NG+

Kind of just realized the reason for that is the Bonfire Ascetic. There's really no reason to slog through all of NG+, relighting bonfires and re-unlocking merchants. If I want loot or want to fight a tougher boss, just burn an Ascetic and do the thing I want from NG+ without going through NG+ itself.

The issue I have with bonfire ascetics is that there's no need for them to exist when it comes to loot. You could just simply give the soul to a smith and infinitely buy as many boss items as you want.

As for challenge there are other options than to just upping the bosses strength and resistances. You can simply play through the game with non upgraded weapons and keep your health as low as possible. It amazes me how so many people are oblivious to the fact the levelling system and weapon upgrade system in all Soulborne games is nothing more than a modular difficulty meter.

As for facing the boss again straight away sure you can make the argument for offline play but this isn't even an issue with the way summons work and besides, Bloodborne chalice dungeons do a much better job on this point over bonfire ascetics.

Does anyone else think the giant is wearing a hollow outfit?