Splinter Cell

I love splinter cell so much, It deeply saddens me that this game series practically died after Chaos Theory (not including gen 6 Double Agent). Is there anything to replace the loss of this series besides replaying the games over and over again? Will there ever be a game quite like Splinter cell? Maybe It won't have a cool character like Sam Fisher with a great voice actor like Michael Ironside but it can at least have the same if not improved gameplay coupled with the awesome slick aesthetics of these games

TL;DR Splinter cell thread

How bad was Blacklist? After Conviction I couldn't really bother.

see pic 5 this is not even exaggerating

It was pretty shitty honestly, even conviction was better then it because at least the designs of the co-op characters were cool and Fisher had his proper voice actor.
Also

The third image makes me wish there was a total conversion mod for Chaos Theory where you could play through MGS's scenario.

AP

Yep.
No new tacticool stealth shooter games worth a shit anymore.
Wildlands lol
The Division..

Thanks to this thread, I decided to download chaos theory.
Don't think I ever played it beyond a demo, back in the day.
I'm expecting good things though, because the original splinter cell was great.

Kek, good times back then, Konami and Ubisoft ribbing each other off. At the 1:40 mark for that spicy Gabe Logan and Sam Fisher mention.

You've done wrong, but you can set it right.

You can get a little bit of fun out of Conviction's coop, if you haven't tried it. Then again anything is fun in coop.

Too much gadget shit and action nonsense and the new VA is shit but, once again, the game is just about tolerable in coop.
All good stealth games are ded.

Chaos Theory was the first game I ever posted about on half/v/

I fucking miss this series so much.
I want Ironside back too

are any of the past graw or rs6 games worth a look?
or anything else..

Overall I'd say it's the best of the post Chaos Theory games. More night missions and ghosting is actually possible most of the time. Levels are still very linear and they balance out the OP as fuck gadgets with bullshit enemies. Dogs will always detect you within a certain radius even if you're hidden and don't make any sound. To balance that they give you a silent drone that shoots knock-out darts and clothes that will completely hide you in the slightest shade and let's you move almost at full speed without any sound.

I think Ironside is retired or wanted to. Anyways I wouldn't bother him with a renewed role as the anti-aging Sam Fisher. I would like to see a new splinter cell agent and a return to the old gameplay.

Hope they don't do it to soon though. Under the current climate they'd shoehorn in some hamfisted diversity bullshit.

Yeah, I'm not really expecting the spiritual successor of splinter cell to come from Ubisoft though. They are too pozzed. I heard they tried to shutdown project stealth until they realized the game was going no where, so who knows.

I love how iconic those goggles are, and how erect they make me.

The PS2 games were shit tbh

I bought the SC collection on PS3 after playing, AND LOVING, Blacklist, and it was just such a huge downgrade.

Sorry brada, but it was. I don't like clunky controls. SC went third person when devs hadn't yet figured out how to make 3ps games control well…

Careful not to give the cocksucking faggot (((you)))s.

MGSV was the only spiritual successor to Chaos Theory.

Chaos theory was great, but it did get too linear when it comes to "the perfect playthrough". I mean, in MGS games, theres usually multiple paths to sneak up on enemies or thru areas, and Splinter Cell doesnt really do that at all.

Stuff like that is exactly why I dislike the Hitman series, because it feels like theres so many pre-made "perfect kill" set pieces that it doesnt actually feel like I'm accomplishing it on my own.

This is why I like MGS alot better, especially in MGSV, because theres alot of open areas and theres more risk.

the FOBs are shit tho. Was fun until they kept adding more and more nerfs to security, which are pretty much pay2unlock now.

also, if you arent buyin Amon Tobin's entire discography, you're missing out. I've been hooked on his shit for the past 2 years. Love him

old Rainbow Six games havent aged well.
New Rainbow Six is just a class based competitive shooter with a big focus on teamwork and strategy.

MGSV is only a spiritual successor because of the movement being tied to analog speed, and even then it only really had two meaningful speeds as the PC version showed.
If you want a successor in terms of raw gameplay the Dark Mod is your only real option, since Splinter Cell was essentially a military, modern day Thief as it was.

Vid unrelated, best level in a stealth game set in Japan ever.

This. I felt like I was playing splinter cell: crazy jap edition the whole time, and I wish we'd get a splinter cell like it but more mission based and without a pointless open world.

Light index didn't play a role, fucking stance did.
You can't really compare MGSV and Splinter Cell when SC bothered to make sound disruption balanced properly, and an actual light/dark index that mattered.

The only way these two games are comparable is in their settings, and even that is a tonal difference a mile wide.

That's true, but having all the weird gadgets and interrogating people reminded me of it.

Gadgets and stealth, I hate to say, are more or less meant to be kind of mandatory together at this point.
Thief had what is basically the sticky cam, the flashbang, a slow fall potion that you'd later see in Deus Ex HR and Skyrim in some form, an invisibility potion, moss arrows to silence your footsteps, mines for knockout and explosive, noisemakers you could shoot with your arrow, and more.

How any of this isn't in more modern stealth games as crutches for the player to rely on is beyond me, because while Phantom Pain on it's core mechanics was a letdown it ends up being the only game to actually try pushing the envelope on gadgets.

There is a severe lack of Anime Splinter cell agents and the ones that exist seem to all be boatsluts

Again, you're correct, but in none of those games could you interrogate people and you never really needed to use your gadgets (except in thief). In splinter cell you had the pistol EMP thing and the sticky shocker and the tranq darts and empy mags in MGS. They just felt very analogous to me. And you had both thermal and NVG in both games, whereas surprisingly few stealth games bother to include that unless it's an x-ray vision type thing.

I don't get why we haven't gotten a real /ak/ game. It seems like it would be real easy, just take MGS and model swap everything to anime girls.

WRONG.
the most fun I've ever had in MGSV were going naked and using only the Water gun and CQC missions. even the Euro Extreme On-Site-Procurement ops were fucking amazing.

it would miss the mark anyway

You're going back over that wall carlos.

I mean in terms of being a feature, dumbass, not in terms of being used.
Minimalism gameplay for life.

I like them being there for the enemies, which you can then take and use. Like when there's a weapons cache and you can now C4 the radio tower, or there's an enemy sniper you creep up on and can take his sniper rifle and go to work.

I like them, like because I can challenge myself into using them as little as possible.
It's an amazing challenge run option I think most devs forget can exist.

I guess it also wouldn't really be jamming either

Splinter cell has multiple paths to get to enemies and through the level, the older games didn't really have that but Chaos theory did

Vid is the devs playing Panama for anyone interested in finding out something you didn't know about the game.

Best fucking level in the series.
There's like three or four routes through that thing and so many approaches, it's essentially a slightly more compact Thief level, or Hitman in style.
One big arena and you're just dropped in to figure that shit out.

You guys should try Double Agent on the original Xbox, it feels like a expansion pack for Chaos Theory, since it uses the very same mechanics. Don't bother with the PS2 and Wii version, both have bad frame-rate and lack dynamic shadows.
Nowadays, Ubisoft is full of shit! I rather never see another Splinter Cell game than they releasing a new one with a black Sam Fisher going after a white supremacist alt-right death squad threatening to kill all the jews and gays of California under Trump's order.

I'll screencap this just to be sure

And people ask why Xbox emulation is needed…

It's on PC you idiots.

muh dick

They should have done that the moment they knew Ironside wasn't going to voice Sam anymore. Bunch of dickheads.

but it's a completely different game funnily enough

get out. now.

That version was handled by Ubisoft Shanghai, is a completely different game and, in my opinion, is so far removed from Chaos Theory it isn't even funny.

Just buy one and mod it, original Xbox is cheap now. In a short time they'll be expensive as fuck.

No, there are two versions of Double Agent (funny enough). One for the PS2, GC , Wii and Xbox using the same engine of Chaos Theory. The Xbox version has bigger maps, effects like bump mapping and better frame-rate.
The other version is for PC, PS3 and Xbox360 and is mediocre.

Huh. Never knew. I played the PC version 9 or 10 years ago. I have a softmodded PS2 and Gamecube, but no Xbox. Know why the GC one is scored so much lower than the PS2/Xbox?

It's like everyone will just say "It's a X version of Thief" for any stealth game they like. Even though no stealth game has come close to Thief.

It hasn't, I agree, but the mechanics are incredibly comparable.
CT is the most Thief-like in the series, but the levels are much smaller, the ability to just shoot people is there, and overall it's less atmospheric.

I get it, but if you want to compare SC to another series it'd be the only other light index stealth game worth a damn.

I'm working on it, but in due time the parts will become expensive when they inevitably break down.
Emulation is needed for the very long-term accesibility.

Yeah, you notice how in DA (PC/Next gen), Pandora Tomorrow and the DLC missions for the original there's a few enemies that can hear even the quietest movement?
That's Ubisoft Shanghai making the game instead of Montreal.

Pandora Tomorrow was the better game.

The PC port of Double Agent is one of the worst ports I've ever played. Basic gameplay features don't even work in that game

I actually don't mind day missions, as long as they're like the first part of MGS4, where shit's going down around you but you're not really involved in any of it

No, because God has abandoned us and we live in a fallen world. Stealth games are dead forever, and their memory will continue to be tarnished by retards who think that their action games with optional sneaking are "stealth games." Kill me.

You're got damn right

There's some game coming out inspired by the co-op in Chaos Theory. Don't recall the name, though.

Sorry in advance for the long post and number of replies.

That third image perfectly recreates the style of Chaos Theory's briefings.

Didn't realize that until I read your post. Shame.
OP, I hope you've seen the light and abandoned halfchan.

If you played on Perfectionist, it was a mediocre but competent stealth game. Any other difficulty was shit. Even then, it wasn't a proper Splinter Cell game.

All of those games are shit, and none of them are stealth games.

You're in for a fun time.

That's not saying much. And both versions of Double Agent were better than Blacklist, anyway.

You didn't play Splinter Cell, you played a gimped port. Get the PC or Xbox versions. And don't talk about shit you have no clue about; all the Splinter Cell games controlled very well. The original Splinter Cell was one of the forerunners of what became the modern third-person shooter.

No. There's absolutely no relationship. One is an open world sandbox with optional sneaking, the other is a linear stealth game. MGS as a whole has never been a proper stealth series, despite heavily featuring sneaking.
Yeah, I can understand that feeling. Hitman has always been a niche of a niche, honestly. It does stealth in a different way from almost any game, and it's much closer to a pure puzzle game in many ways–though you can still try to make kills in your own way, it never feels quite as good as finding the scripted triggers.

Much more compact, but still very well designed. Seriously, Thief has huge levels.

Honestly, both versions of Double Agent feel like Chaos Theory expansion packs. I forget what makes people say the 6th gen version is better; I own both and regularly replay Chaos Theory, so I should go back and replay both versions of Double Agent sometime to compare, since it's been a long time.

The GC (and PS2) ports of all the Splinter Cell games were inferior. Worse textures, worse lighting, and much smaller maps. PC or Xbox are the way to go.

Holy fuck, I'm watching that vid and I never realized that pipe was there! In the garden with the guy doing martial arts, I mean. I've played Chaos Theory countless times–how did I never fucking see that?