Rule the Wa/v/es: Baugette Removed Edition

Welcome back to another session of Rule the Wa/v/es, where Holla Forums attempts to Make Japan Great Again on the high seas. Last time, we fought a protracted war against France, lasting over eight years before a peace treaty passed. By that time, we had defeated enough of the French navy to allow our ground forces to take large sections of their colonies in the area, bringing that clay under Japanese rule. Now, we're in the process of modernizing our fleet, replacing some of our aging designs and getting fucked around by the government who's making us build a submarine fleet. But for the new people

RtW is a 1900's naval management and battle simulator. You play as the head Admiral of a nation's navy, design ships, command them in battle and make policy decisions. You can download it here (mega.nz/#!EccBTJIY!MqKZWSQqNv68hwOxBguat1gcC_i28O5hrJWxA-vXCtI) or purchase it from the developer, who's in the process of making RtW2.

And goddamn, the game is eager to get things started off quickly. What are our orders?

I'm sure that the eternal Anglo was behind it.

If you insist.

Any new updates? Also, Mega links are cancer.

Oh boy

As is in surprise attacks, the destroyers rush in first to torpedo, before the larger ships come in to mop up who's left. Akikaze, despite having taken several bad hits, keeps trying to dive back into battle to launch her torpedoes. Unfortunately, the weather takes a turn for the worse, reducing visibility to shit so the main fleet can't do much. One of our CAs hits a mine on the way back, but will survive. Overall, not a bad start, but it wasn't the decisive blow we might have hoped for. Britain at this time doesn't have their capital ships in the area, so we couldn't have hoped for a decapitation strike.

The dev has stopped updating to focus on the sequel. And afraid I don't have an alternative, only picked that link off an earlier thread.

Sink a pair of destroyers harassing a convoy, and decided to check how our two navies compare to one another. It's not great, to say the least. A small cruiser engagement has begun in the meantime. They outnumber our ships, but the Unebi outguns their Cordelia-class fairly heavily.

Goddamnit, user.

What's the sequel going to be like? Will it have carriers?

Well at least most of it is in battleships. Our battlecruiser should be able to maul most of what they can send our way if we get the right fight.

What I've heard is he wants to do from steam power until nuclear power.

Things progess as both cruisers toss taxpayer money at one another at max range, until we scoot up to the Korean coast so our gun batteries can help. The British then decide it isn't worth the trouble and go home. But even after only a couple months, the Brits don't seem to want to fight a trans-oceanic war. Y/N?

From what I've heard, yes on the carriers.

Yeah let's get the fuck out of this war. Great Britain could ruin us for a decade if they brought their real fleet.

Peace out. How long until our submarines are ready?

War averted, right in time for our new destroyers to enter the fleet. Our subs are about three months out. Worth mentioning that while France kept most of their fleet in home waters, only sending enough out to be able to call it a war to the press, Britain had 14 capitals ships either in our waters or on the way. So close one.

Anyways, what priorities should we focus on at this point? Also, need ship/class names.

There better be an aircraft editor if we get aircraft carriers.

What year is it? How is our tech looking?

Requesting the IJN Ritsu Tainaka

What's Russia's navy look like? Can we bully them?

CRUSH RUSSIA AND CLAIM RIGHTFUL JAPANESE CLAY

Seems like a good idea.

Here's our tech progress, not that it tells you a whole lot. Russia seems to have a decent fleet, but it's capitals are quite small, and could easily be defeated by any of our capital classes.

What is the strategic benefit of bullying Russia?

Any power that wants to fight us is going to have to send ships to the other side of the world while keeping enough at home to keep everyone else in check. My worry is that they can send just one or two heavy, fast, modern battlecruisers or fast battleships with some support and bully the shit out of us, so we should focus on fast ships too. If they send old slow ships, they die, if they send new fast ships we can at least trade.

If those 12" guns are at least quality 0 we could start building some passable battlecruisers.

Go for it. The only thing we need to look out for is that 30k ton BC they're building. If they just started building that in 1915 we should have plenty of time.

Shittalk Russia, or beg for more shekels?

In actuality, we can seize the ports they have in the area and earn good boy points prestige.

Talk shit

Done and done.

Now, do we care about Africa?

Africa for the Africans, Asia for the Japanese

We don't have any other colonies in the area. It'd likely just bleed points and get invaded during a war.

Don't get involved, it's too far away. Save the time and effort and establish the Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere instead.

It would be nice to have as a vacation spot but it would probably be too costly to defend.

I already know the answer, but I've got to ask.

Put the boots to em

SAKHALIN IS RIGHTFUR NIPPONESE CLAY

Some tech advancement and a chance to exchange a bit of budget for favor. Russia is a bit peeved, but tensions are still rather even.

Is there any benefit to not derailing the Emperor's plans? Political favor, better event rolls, more funding later? If it will give us more budget in the long run, take the hit now. Otherwise, derail the living shit out of it or protest if derailing causes maluses.

We can definitely start building some decent battlecruisers now.

Derail the plans, I guess.

if we could gain more budget for the glorious navy, its an expense we can afford

Our newest BC is only 3 months from completion. As a precaution, I've sent some of our older ships to have their engines replaced with more effective models, increasing their speed.

Strengthen the Navy.

option 1

What's Russia going to do, invade us?

Strengthen the Navy.

Is there a decent written guide to this game? I end up having no idea what the fuck I'm doing (and getting fucked) past the first 3 years or so.

Gas the commies

Thanks for the link OP i've been wanting to play this.

Castles of Steel by Robert K. Massie

They aren't commies yet.

The AyGeeDeeGee is a small BC, but well armored and fast. It may not have a massive set of guns, but they're strong.

We wouldn't do something so dishonorabru, would we?

Do it
An opening blow they won't see

Russians aren't people anyway.

Sounds like a good idea. It will get rid of one of their ships and raise tensions.

You know what you have to do.

Bomb the Ruski, sink their Vodkaboat.

Japanese espionage seems to have a very different idea of what a "capital ship" is.

You called it.

This went poorly but it's no loss to us. Gotta keep finding ways to go to war.

Instead of a battleship in Vladivstok, they found a destroyer in San Francisco.

What was that ship doing on the American West Coast?

Glory to the Empire.

This is the navy that torpedoed it's own ship.

Do we want to build a new BB, or something different? While it may not be ready in time for war start, it could come into play if the war drags on.

AI nations move their fleets around, often when tensions are increasing. It's possible that this was part of a style movement and was off the US coast at the time.

Why is this game $35.

1 second before , user why

Autism is expensive

as in new design?

We did just unlock 13inch guns.

Do it when we won't get any new tech for a while. We want to keep it reasonably modern.

As in changing the design of this, or adopting a style that's much different. Or just saying fuck it and building a massive fleet of destroyers, in the hopes that they can't sink all of them before a torpedo hits.

We did just unlock the director (fire control), but the way this game works is that any time you build a ship you'll get some upgrade between then and now, as it takes years to build.

Also, need ship names.

Cut the extended belt and put more on the turrets. We should also rebuild our older ships with the new fire control.

Tsumugi Kotobuki, Mio Akiyama

because you didn't have the foresight to buy it in the 90s, for 5 bucks at office max.

True but the point is to time it. Like don't make a ship just before you're about to get a good tech. I don't know the details, so it's your call.
Kenbanshi

Garyu Queef

Nuke Them Not Us
Sir It's One Of Ours
A Russian Fishing Boat
Not A Ship It's A Whale

New ships are under construction, as well as older designs being updated. But for now:

He's a national hero

Make the agent a national hero.

He did nothing wrong

Also, if you haven't, make sure you've got a good fleet positioned at wherever Russian forces are strongest at our corner of the globe.

Espionage seems to be paying off.

Oh yes.

Give that Mata Hari a medal.

And even more. This is the smaller of the two BCs being built

If we try to negotiate a alliance, the lower the tension the better the odds of success. That nation will assist us in a war, although their battles usually (always I think) happen outside of our own

Let's see if we can get one with the US.

Only if we can break it later
Burgers are the arch enemy

Alliances break whenever tension gets too high so it's not even an obstacle.

American alliance. Better than Italian.

Do alliances increase the chance for research agreements?

Do we go for the bonus round, or stick to our goal?

Stick to the goal

naw, save our guns for the Russians

Lower tensions. It would be bad if they team up on us.

Avoid war, prepare for future conflicts with the Ruski's.

Seems we're not the only ones trying to bully.

Offer to help, the US is big enough to need all of GB's fleets to fight and we might get Hong Kong out of it.

Support our ally. World War 1 against Great Britain now.

Wait hold up, how does the US's fleet compare to the UK's?

If the BBs are still under construction, choose the first option.

If not, choose the second option and laugh as everybody else gets fucked by the treaty.

Jesus spy, calm the fuck down. We could calm Britain down, or push them over the edge.

Help Britain.

Begin our first batch of 1500-ton destroyers immediately.

Support the rebels.

Japan and America vs Great Britain and Russia. The new Great War.

Are we 100% sure a war will start if we support them? If we support a rebellion but keep under the tension levels, they'll have to send a fleet to put it down and we can jump them in a surprise attack. If we support a rebellion but a war starts, we might be able to take Fiji from them and make them bleed points.

The US-UK conflict is America's problem, not ours. Go with the second option.

Help GB

Don't provoke Albion just yet, focus on Vodka.

Vote is 2-1-2, assuming is voting to help rebels.

Support rebels option is (Tension ++), so almost certainly.

I'd rather stick with bullying the Russians. The UK should be our endgame.

We shouldn't support the rebels, it will weaken our alliance with the US, which we need.

Tensions with GB have lessened somewhat, we decided to help them. Tech advances, libs want to focus on gibs, and Kenbanshi likes to go fast.

Don't agree to anything binding.

Push for a treaty.

I'm playing my own game. What am I supposed to do once I finish a battle and see the results window? How can I go back to the regular interface?

Nothing binding.

Close the window.

Just close the battle window.

Thanks. I thought that would just end the game.

For some reason, we just cannot push Russia over the edge. We've been sitting at "9/10 it was okay" tension for over a year now.

Hope we get the chance to support Ireland in the future.

Russia appears to like to go fast. RIP rebels and lets remove some borsch.

Nice, looks like they cut it out for us. Take the battle.

Noice. Remove Pirozhki.

We've again approached under heavy rain, so visibility is horrendous. As a result, we'll be sending in the destroyers only, as large ships will be at too great of a risk of counter-torpedoes. Not to worry though, between them they've got enough fish to sink half the Russian fleet.

It's a bit difficult to narrate surprise attacks, but as our destroyers approach dangerously close to the enemy harbor, the Russian fleet appears. Without even bothering to ID most of their targets, our torpedomen start loosing their first. Garyu Queef is hit by a defending cruiser, but literally dozens of torpedoes are launched in return. As the rain starts to break and enemy ships begin to react, our destroyer fleet turns to run to the safety of the main fleet.

Ganbatte!

You could say that.

If I had to guess, it looks like we sunk an old B in port. Hopefully our main fleet can gun down a couple more.

Shall we?

NIPPON STRONK

DO IT

Jesus Christ

Yeah do it

NIPPON STRONK

10 destroyers to their 3? This'll be good.

Pussies. But I guess we get to defend some friendly merchants later on then.

In the battle interface, is there a way to explicitly get a ship to pick up survivors?

No, but if it doesn't prompt you the moment you approach then there's probably a reason (too dark, poor weather, enemies in sight etc).

After about an hour of exchanging fire, the Izmail seems dead in the water, and the Kinburn is limping. Think it's time for our destroyers to play.

Darkness falls and we lose the Kinburn, but the Izmail can't get her engines going again before our destroyers fill her full of fish.

Already? We haven't even launched a ground offensive.

Keep going.

No mercy

This'll be interesting.

Other enemy BC is
Our advantages are armor and arms. We've got more tough capitals here then them, and in a stand up fight we'll come out on top. However, their BC can outrun all but our destroyer fleet.

And it seems we're not the only ones with a split fleet.

Long story short, we swarm over the initial pair of BCs we spotted, devestating both of them, but AyGeeDeeGee pays the price for our fleet. Now we're running down the BBs that were attempting to reinforce the cruisers.

The Russian fleet retreats to it's harbors as night falls, as do we. On the upside, we destroyed two 30,000+ BCs. On the other hand, we lost AGDG. If anyone wants to see a specific ship's combat log let me know now.

Just post the details screen.

The magic of fire control.

60kt of battlecruisers killed for 20kt lost, that's a solid win.

Is there a keyboard shortcut to change the ship direction in the battle interface? My hand is getting tired from constantly having to click the red cursor.

Shift+rclick

Since, we've got a massive budget that's going unused, shall we get another flagship going?

Shift

Looks pretty good.

Bigger/more guns you fuck

16" good enough boss?

14" but 27kn tbh

She's in construction. And Christ US, get it together.

Looks like Lenin has come to power

oh shit nigger what are you doing
that thing's going to get torn apart

Looks like Mr. Naval Secretary from before knew what he was talking about.

Everything's got a weakness. Here's hoping.

The Russian fleet on our side is pretty neutered and the US is still getting torn up, what's the harm in prolonging the war?

So because we're attacking the Jews, Russia has no one to deal with meaning they're removing food from the people in anger
:^)

Might as well continue. It should be a cake walk from now on.

Welp.

get back into war
A-at l-least y-you g-got S-Sakhalin

There has to be a lesser east asia co-prosperity sphere before there can be a greater one, I guess.

Don't even pretend you haven't fantasied about this.

Careful there, you know stuttering = consent

Fuck, forgot image.

HAIL VICTORY

No Italy this time

Do it.

I say it's a good idea. It will keep the European powers at bay. Germany is far away and we don't want their clay, so there's no reason not to be friendly with them.

d-do i-it a-user
k-kill R-Russia

Japan, US and Germany against the UK and Russia
I like this timeline

Do we bully?

They don't have any Pacific clay, do they?

Ital-Ital

If they dont have any land nearby let them do whatever.
Though germany might not like that.

It's just Albanians, no reason to get upset.

This was the first game where I vaguely knew what to do, so I guess I'm learning.

Sure you guys don't want Italy in on the party?

It is tempting but having too many allies can drag us into unnecessary conflicts. I'd rather spend more money on the navy.

Increase spending.

Pick on France.

France is at it again.

I wonder whats on the menu today.

Tensions are…high.

France has some desirable colonies. Can we handle their navy?

kill them all

blame russia

It's a French ruse

Remember how in the first war with France, their Navy was a bit spread out? Well now their navy is going to be more spread out than…well, a French whore. They've got to hold down their home waters, their Caribbean colonies and try to fight us. Something tells me this isn't going to work out in their favor.

In the meantime, a pair of old destroyers encounter a ship in the night.

Well, the torpedo missed, which is a real shame. France keeps declining battle, so most turns are just try to get them to fight me. The US and Germany keep trading ships with them, and reports show constant protests and riots.

And it turns out fighting a three-fronted war doesn't work out well for you. Should we take the last of Vietnam, and some Pacific territory, or territories in the other part of the world?

Take everything thats close to us. get them the hell out of our part of the world.

Has the time come to bully the Anglos?

How the fuck do you declare war against another nation?

I went with japs thinking I'd be able to spring some surprise buttsex on gopniks but nowhere do I see an option that allows me to attack anything.

Get tensions above this line.

Fucking how? Just sit on my ass and wait for events?

Yeah. Hover your cursor over the options of an event and it will list the effects of choosing that option. If you want a war, look for stuff that says 'Tension +' or 'Tension ++'.

Nigger I want to attack someone without provocation, is that not what a surprise attack is?

The Japanese get a surprise attack on the first turn of any war that starts- provided they and the enemy have ships in the same area. With everybody else, you'll have to slug it out like a real man.

And how in god's name do you propose an alliance with someone?

Make sure tensions with your preferred nation are low and hope for an event.

This whole "hope for an event" bullshit is seriously killing my enthusiasm for playing this game.

It's a naval commander simulator more than a nation commander simulator

You're the commander of the navy, not the leader of a nation. You don't dictate foreign policy or declare wars on your own.

What the fuck are the controls for ship combat? The game's pdf manual says absolutely fucking nothing on maneuvering controls.

Read the other manual. There are more than one.

Which one would that be then?

The other pdf in the directory.

I see goddamn nothing about maneuvering controls in any of them.

Alright then you cocksuckers, war was just declared. How do I mount a surprise attack against the frogs?

start your own thread, it's gonna get really confusing with our jap army and your jap army crossposting everywhere

If you had your ships in the same spot as any frog ships it should've started automatically, otherwise you're fucked.

They were, I had more than a dozen ships in the region and a base in Sumatra.

But were there French ships in the area?

Surprise attacks are random even if you meet all the conditions. If you didn't get a prompt then you missed your chance.

I seriously hope you guys play as Russia next time. Japan is all fun and games first tie, second time not so much.

Isn't it Ikki, not Iki?

What a load of utter shit, is there literally no way to set things up for offensive moves or are you limited exclusively to defensive or reactive engagements?

OP here, going to a family dinner, so no play tonight.

The assumption for the surprise attacks is that the government approves your attack prior to a formal declaration of war, or immediately after. The base percentage chance of this happening assuming all requirements are met is something like 80%, decreasing with consecutive wars. If it doesn't occur, the assumption is that:

As for the rest of your post, the manual gives it's explanation, although whether you consider it adequate I don't know.

I do not. It is pathetic beyond words how poorly documented the basic controls for battle scenarios are, not to mention the astoundingly moronic decision to omit the ability to automatically resolve the rest of a battle regardless of how far you've progressed while also forcefully pausing the game every two goddamn seconds with no ability to disable this "feature" in full.

Fuck this game, being able to design and field your own battleships is neat but there's altogether no ability to form a cohesive naval strategy and the obtuse approach taken to naval battles ruines whatever chance there was left that there could be any fun there.

THE MANUAL SPENDS TWO WHOLE PAGES EXPLAINING HOW TO GIVE MANEUVER ORDERS YOU FUCKING MONGOLOID
WHAT THE FUCK DO YOU THINK THE "ULTRA FAST SPEED" AND "RUN FOR THREE HOURS" BUTTONS ARE FOR
IT'S LITERALLY THE FIRST SETTING IN THE PREFERENCES WINDOW
ARE YOU FUCKING ILLITERATE
GIT
GUD

All of this is historically accurate tbh

Have you tried not being the Imperial Russian Navy?

While is having his ass ravaged, i have a legit question.
Is it even feasible playing nips with realistic command? I got a surprise attack, and the destroyers were, as expected, way ahead of the main fleet. This however means they are locked to AI control, and instead of heading into the enemy fleet and torpedoing their battleships, they danced around with the first couple of CLs they happened to see and expended shitloads of torpedoes and time trying to sink the little shits.

This obviously breaks everything. How do i make my ships not do that? Do i simply have to turn off the full realism shit and deal with it?
I'm okay with ships miscommunicating and making wrong turns, delayed orders and shit getting lost at night, but holy fuck "suprise attack" doesnt mean "engage literally the worst target with the entire destroyer group"

You can right click divisions and turn AI control off IIRC

The destroyer AI actually has a hidden "stupidity" stat, which is affected by, among other things, the current year, crew quality, training and overall tech level. Endgame AI isn't great, but it's usually smart enough not to waste torpedoes on already-damaged CLs and DDs (or refuse to torpedo a stationary capital).

If they aren't approaching the main fleet at all, you can also use shift-click to nudge them in the right direction.

Harbor attacks are the one time I change difficulty to Captain.

Only way is to do as said, shift click them into the spot you want, but that's technically cheating since you're giving a command to boats that aren't supposed to be under your direct command.

AFAIK the only real control over destroyers you have is the "attack" button.

Oh really now, you think I didn't try to disable those pause on x options? Do you think the events that were causing the autopauses had anything to do with what's in your screenshots? Or any of the other options?

Sure is fun waiting for a scenario to end while your ships are sailing away from an engagement with no enemies in sight as it pauses every two goddamn seconds and this goes on for hours on fucking end.

A lot of fucking good that is when literally every option is grayed out even on ships you have explicit control of. And god forbid there'd be a way to designate targets for your ships.

You truly have to be a special kind of spergy cunt to find enjoyment in any of this.

There is.

So your game is pausing every two seconds, but it's not because of:
So what is it pausing on? The only thing I've encountered that pauses the game frequently would be engine trouble warnings, but that's only if you're having your ships on high speed movement.

Fuck if I know, the only thing I saw in the log was ships firing or being fired upon, and then of course fucking nothing when my ships got out of dodge and nothing was even within visual range any more. Seeing the game continue to autopause at that point made me nuke it from my drive.

You're legitimately retarded.

bump

am I retarded or something?

Look here

I'm confused, what was the last active post?

This one

Ah well, I'll keep an eye out for the next thread.

Are people interested in taking this all the way to 1950? We just hit January 1926, which is the "end" of the game, but we can keep going another 25 years, although things get a bit off technologically at that point.

We haven't created out cheerful Greater Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere yet. Don't give up now.

You mean like this?

Absolutely appalling.

WHY ARE THERE STILL AMERIDOGS IN THE PACIFIC REEEEEEEEEEEEEEE