Grimrock 2

Just beat this game, haven't played this style of game before, I know it's based on old school dungeon crawlers.

Holy shit this game blew me away. It's criminally under-discussed here. Wish there was a third game in the works but supposedly sales were shit.

What other games like it are worth trying? Even from the 90s….as long as they're easy to get hold of/install.

Other urls found in this thread:

lemonamiga.com/?mainurl=http://www.lemonamiga.com/games/list.php?list_genre=Adventure&list_sub_genre=RPG%203D
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

If you're fine with weebery, Etrian Odyssey is fucking great.

Eye of the beholder
Dungeon Master
Stonekeep

All the Eye of the Beholder games are on gog
Stonekeep is also on gog but its ugly and might not be to your liking.
There is also Anvil of Dawn but it has no party formation.
Then there is Lands of Lore which are a series of really braindead games which you could play if you're desperate.

Cheers, will check them out.

How do they compare in length to Grimrock 2? That game felt quite meaty, took me around 22 hours to beat.

haha no.

YES
also try Might and Magic 3 and 6

I've played Might and Magic VI: mandate of heaven. Loved the game but it's not a grid based RPG like grimrock.

Etrians are generally 30-60 hours. Start with 3 or 4.

be warned they have no puzzles like grimrock

What's wrong with you people?

I have finished LoG1, and it hadn't blown me away. There are several older games that are superior in any aspect besides graphics. Be quiet until you play them first.

In Stonekeep you control one character, not a party. And there are three each of Dungeon Master and Eye of Beholder games.

M&M 4+5: World of Xeen is a grid based RPG.

Because Wizardry is turn based compared to other things mentioned. Aside from that Wizardry is more like jrpg compared to other dungeon crawlers.

Since almost all good ones are already mentioned:
How about some nice Hybrid:
Amberstar and Ambermoon for the Amiga

or
Bloodwych, Menzoberranzan, Dungeon Hack, Black Crypt

The latter ones have lots of puzzles, usually involving FOE movements and environmental changes.

Play mods faget

Addendum:
check them out, most of them are great (but then again I also enjoyed Ishar 1-3):
lemonamiga.com/?mainurl=http://www.lemonamiga.com/games/list.php?list_genre=Adventure&list_sub_genre=RPG%203D

Wizardry 8 is not. 'Real' time is the default mode there. I could mention other titles, like the Ishar series, but they are not as fun to play.

Combat is isometric there and it sucks. You can only use bows in cardinal directions.

Back then when DSA setting and rules were still acceptable.
Does anyone know if they changed anything for the american release, because if not the reviews at the time suggested that they were too stupid for the simple system of DSA.

If you recommend them, why won't you mention Betrayal at Krondor as well?

No user, you suck.

Sure, but why not Albion or Ishar as well?

If I remember correctly each game in the trilogy used somewhat tweaked and modernized rules as opposed to standard pnp.

Lang lang ist es her.
Danke.

I'm so glad the devs recently got back together to work on mobile games.

GRORIOUS NIHON COMING THROUGH

Try typing any argument why it doesn't. Jumping between different perspectives is immersion breaking.

None of you children know about the best dungeon crawler of the 1980s, disappointing.

Bitte.

Because I can remember when games had 5+ combat phases and a separate screen for each of them, because I can appreciate why that system existed or how efficient it was, or maybe because I enjoy turn based grid combat and the comfy gameplay it usually provides?

Or how about because you're a duplicitous piece of shit pushing reddit tier reasoning to justify a personal preference no one really asked you for while providing no real muh arguments of your own?

Wizardry's better.

How old are you? Older than your mental age? What you remember is still immersion breaking, despite being a nice memory to you. Don't push coding/system limitations as intentional features. I like roguelikes in ASCII, but I don't shittalk others who prefer using tilesets or even modding them to isometric view.

No user, you just post arbitrary shitbait on mongolian imageboards.

Wizardry 8 is the best dungeon crawler ever made.

The developer team behind the unfinished Amber trilogy also made two other RPGs that played similar.
One is Dragonflight, which is older than Amberstar.
The other is Albion, which is newer than Ambermoon.
If you haven't played either of them yet, I recommend to at least play Albion. It's very similar to Ambermoon. Some guy recently ported the game from DOS to Windows, Linux and OpenPandora.

Shame there are so few actual dungeons.

It isn't Grimrock 3, but some of the devs got back together and recently announced a new game called Druidstone.

Grimrock allowed custom portraits, so I had a team made of the winds of destruction
Are there any other games that let me shitpost through custom portraits?

stranger of sword city

Preferably a good game.

sword city wasn't that bad. i got a real etrian odyssey vibe from it

This is just a meme game that got popular for a brief moment because you could add custom portraits. The fact no one ever talks about the gameplay tells a lot about it.

you're posting in the wrong place , >>>/4chan/ is down the hall to the cuck

I don't know if it's a good game or not, but honestly there's hardly anything to talk about when it comes to dungeon crawling. Boss advice you can get in any strategy guide, most challenges can be overcome just by leveling higher even if your party set-up is sorta dumb.

Etrian has a lot of discussion but it's all based around build advice because leveling is painfully slow and the translations are bad/wrong so the only way to understand how your skills work is to ask someone with more experience.

Am I a retard if I can't beat the first one?

I think the first one had much more difficult puzzles and enemy encounters. The second game I found way more interesting because you're not in the same dark dungeon the whole time, but because you could farm food/ingredients so easily there were very few points where you'd be overwhelmed by enemies.

Is there any mod that fixes the builds of Grimrock 2?

This game is very nice and beginner friendly, thanks for recommending it