Did anyone ever used one of these?

Did anyone ever used one of these?
I have a ps2 slim and i wanted to softmod it but many people told me the best way to play pirated games was to burn them and use this.
Is it true?

Yes it is true

So console modding thread?

Not Sure. Maybe we could Talk about Merkel.

I had a chipmodded PS2 and eventually another modded one with FMCB, way better than that shit.

I didn't had one but several through my life, it's better than USB shit for sure and SMB if you don't want to deal with all that stuff, that is as long as your laser drive doesn't choke and die, it happened to me once and had to repair it myself. Considering ps2 consoles go super cheap at flea markets i'd say it's definitively a good way to play ps2, just don't use the composite output in a LED screen, it looks like shit, get a CRT with component input and the ps2 component video cable and you will do a favor to your eyes

Chipmodded >>> Swap >>> SMB >>> USB

It's ok if you don't want to open your PS2, but at that point it would be best to just use ESR with FMCB or SMB with FMCB and OPL. An IDE HDD is preferred but if you have a slim you're shit out of luck in that regard so better to stick with whatever works. I personally use SMB without issues (Buying or building a NAS is a good option if you want a single dedicated machine to store games, but it's not necessary at all). There used to be heavy cutscene stutter but that shit got fixed a while ago. For those rare instances of a game not working with SMB, I have ESR. If that doesn't work either, I have a softmodded PS3, and if THAT doesn't work either, I can emulate. There's no need to stick to just one method.

I used those because the disk was dirt cheap and buying it plus a stack of 100 chinese blank brand DVDs was way cheaper than a proper modchip back then

I still have mine. It's a good method, you just need to spend 30 seconds to one minute inserting the disc and waiting for it to load, then pulling the tray out, inserting the game disc and closing it.

I used the .ELF files to play out-of region games in a really roundabout method before realizing OPL can do that out the box with integrated GSM. It's still a bitch to have to get the screen position right while I didn't have to do that with the swap magic.

I have pic related. Not sure if I used Swap Magic or a Action Replay disk. Might be confusing that for my Dreamcast. Never actually pirated on the thing, though. I bought it to play import copies of Phantasy Star Generation I & II and the Fantasy Zone.

Jesus fucking Christ, that sentence sends chills up my spine. I remember reading people's posts giving advice on how to force open the PS2 disk drive. I can only imagine how many PS2's actually survived extended wear and tear like that without completely fucking up it's disk tray.

Granted, it's not like there weren't also a ton of people fucking up their PS2's by being retarded and ripping out that silver power ribbon when putting the flip-top lid on… but it's better than just abusing your hardware like that.

I know what you mean. Took me 4 days trying to do this shit with 2 models of the PS2 before I got FreeMcBoot to work.

Reminder to anyone that might have an HDD set up with preinstalled apps, but no FreeMcBoot on the memory card: Free McBoot can be installed to the card by running the installer through uLaunchELF. Don't sit there reading and watching shit for like five hours, wondering if you're going to need to pay for some kind of service to get it on there (I've heard there's vendors online that sell card with it preinstalled, or you can also pay shipping both ways and have someone install it for you), like I was before figuring that one out. Updated OPL works fantastic too.

Does make me wonder though, is there a way to place an updated loader file straight on the HDD through something like uLaunchELF? Considering I've already got the new loader working from the memory card and can much more quickly access it, I don't really want to screw around with the drive itself aside from adding/deleting games as need be, but it's gotten me curious. Do the guides out there mainly pertain to adding applications to a Free McBoot card simply because its easier to do, or is there not a way to replace an app on the HDD itself after setting it up?

you likely already stumbled upon it through your search, but ps2-home.com is your best bet for that info.

IT FUCKING ANGERS ME
IT REMINDS ME OF A TALE
>a week after i try to play the game and it won't boot up
All of my relatives are drooling retards i don't know if i'm adopted but it's the only explanation for me not being like them.

I have one. They work great and I highly recommend. By far easiest way to play burnt or import games.

I should tell you that you pull the tray out after the disc stops spinning and that I still can do it with the original fat I bought in 2002.

Actually not sure if I did or not, but just in case, thanks for the heads up about it.

What is the best program to burn isos to dvd-r?

Sell your PS2 slim to a sucker and buy a fat one with HDD
PS2s have notoriously shit lasers and unless you are planning on burning a Taiyo yuden on a top of the line writer, they will turn to shit in mere months.

I just bought a sharkport and copied freemcboot to a memory card that way.

what the fuck is that?