Fresh out of games 2: Electronic Boogaloo

I played through all of the so called diablo-clones or whatever you prefer to name it. Top down monster clickers built around getting better loot ad infinitum basically.
So I propose you a challenge - name one such game that I haven't played and I will play it, because I'm fucking desperate.
I posted this request before but the only answer I got was Vikings Wolves of Midgard which is apparently shit. I might as well just pirate it at this point, but I want something that isn't shit.

You can also use this thread to discuss such games that don't have dedicated ones like POE or GD.
Fun fact Diablo 2 runs at 25 fps and you can't change it because it is coded this way.

Talking about Vikings, i was looking forward for this game. But on on the release the most disappointing thing about it was the fact how much it is goddamn casualized. Its like Dungeon Siege 3 and Sacred 3 all over again.
Even story is practically non existant. Just bunch of ebil goblins and spirits attacking your village, like always. And exposure mechanic was just retarded gimmick to all this arcady shit.

Fuck really? Those aren't even similar to diablo at this point.

they're just action rpgs fam. Diablo just made arpgs really popular. there was a couple that messed with the idea before, but Diablo more or less standardized a lot of the concepts.

There's Throne of Darkness, but I've never played it and let alone never found a copy of it. It's Japanese themed, and Click Entertainment was formed out of a couple ex-Blizzard North members. But like most of the companies that have formed from Blizzard they went bankrupt.

I played TOD, it wasn't very good. At least I didn't like it despite being huge weeb. Combat felt unsatisfying and the whole squad management felt out of place. But that might be just me, I think you should give it a shot, it has a lot of unique elements to it plus functional lan netplay.
It's still nowhere near shits like Sacred 3 or DS3 though. Fuck those games.

Just looking it up will give you souls games and toukidens and even fucking dynasty warriors so yeah, that's exactly why I specifically mentioned diablo. I want an exact type of ARPG, this term is too broad nowadays.

chosen: well of souls/frater

I don't exactly remember it, but UI looks familiar.
Is it any good? Can you run it at reasonable framerates?

That game is fucking dogshit

Even Nox? Nox is the best one. Also, though it's not exactly a Diablo clone, Silver is really really good.

That's fair, yeah. I know what you mean. I've seen some people call them clicker rpgs, or point & click rpgs.

On a side note even with a different perspective or variations, Diablo's mechanics are at the heart of a ton of those games still. Kingdoms of Amalur for instance, or even Fable and Darksiders 2. The list goes on. I always thought it was neat how everything influences everything else, and you can pick up the threads that link them.

The isometric tons of loot pure Diablo clone is hard to find these days though outside of the ones everyone knows of. I think I can count all the ones I've personally played with just my fingers. I'll list those that I know of in all though, maybe there's something you haven't played. Warning, I haven't played all of these so no idea if some are shit.

There was also some Asian mmo-style arpg coming out. Maybe one or two of them, I'm not sure. Fuck if I remember their names though, or if they're even out in the West.

There's also Inquisitor.

Oh yeah, I forgot about Inquisitor. There was also some Conquistador game, but I don't remember if that was a Diablo-clone or a more party based Baldur's Gate clone. I never played it.

Unfortunately I didn't play Nox when it was relevant and only tried it in recent years. Needless to say I struggled with hardcoded FPS lock. But game looked really cool and I played it for a while.

I'm looking at the gameplay right now and it feels like western-made Final Fantasy 7 which is both good and bad thing. I wish I played it when it was released, chances are I'd loved it to death.

Oh god I wished Amalur and Darksiders 2 to be good so bad, but they just bored the fuck out of me. Maybe I should revisit them with different mindset.

Oh boy I remember seeing it at a friend. It was so 3D and sexy at the time. I wonder if holds up as good as say diablo 1.

Now this is one I haven't even heard about. Youtube videos give me strong titan quest vibes. Is it any good?

I played it and it felt like some sorta baldur's gate and divinity crossbreed. Are you sure it's actually an action rpg?

I actually quite liked Darksiders 2. I think the more Diablo style put some folks off, but Diablo style arpgs are one of my favorite genres so I dug all the loot and shit. The PC port is a bit of a mess though.

And I have not played Loki, I only know about it cause my friend showed me a video of it and it looked like some of the assets were ripped right out of Titan Quest.

Every time I need to scratch that grindan lootan itch I play the first Sacred.

The socketing system is fucking great in there, you can either hold a set piece indefinitely viable across a 100 levels by socketing amulettes and rings, or you could socket a shitload of mage runes for seruious XP bonuses, or vampire runes for excessive life leach, shits great.

And the atmosphere is fucking great due to prerendered handcrafted environments.

is there a game like these that doesn't follow the tired chapter formula from Diablo 2? I'd like a massive overworld that I can explore at my own pace.

The graphics are similar, but the gameplay is very different.

I thought it was. It definitely gave me a Diablo vibe.

Things I loved about Sacred are
>Fantasy setting that turns out to be some star wars post-apocalypse craziness
Also if you just kept your special abilities at level 1 there eventually had zero cool down while still dealing relevant damage since they all were percentage based. It was kinda counter intuitive, but you could just spam level one autocombo endlessly as level 70+ seraphim or dark elf and it was better than normal attack and more flashy.

Fucking Sacred 1. Like you can't go wrong with. I dunno if it runs at 60 fps though, I played it a long time ago.
Sacred 2 also does this, but it's overall worse game. It can run at 60 though.

Divine Divinity maybe. The maps were separated and stuff by story, but you could freely do whatever and the maps were pretty big. It was more like Ultima VII than Diablo honestly.

I remember sacred doing somthing like that. Great fucking diablo clone - huge variety of classes and world is fucking gorgeous (at least i remember it being that way).

Vampire best class.

Oh fuck my life

tl;dr Play Sacred 1, it's still very relevant.

Sacred was really good. I was going to do a playthrough of Diablo 1, but hell maybe I'll do Sacred instead. It's been a long time since I've played either. Probably end up doing both in the long run knowing me.

What the fuck.

I'm checking videos now and apparently you can run Sacred at 60 fps. As well as D1. So yeah, tough choice.
If you played D1 before, I recommend to spend time or something you haven't tried yet. If you don't like it you can always play another one.

I've played both Sacred and Diablo before. I got Diablo 1 the week it originally came out actually. Lost my copy years ago though.

Prince of Qin

so did op play titan quest yet or not?
if you do, play it with the xmax mod as it makes the game more challenging and therefore more fun

The biggest problem with Darksiders 2 is that while the base combat is fine, what you are doing in the game is rather dull due to it being rather starved for content. Plus, while the basic combat is fine, the loot mechanics combined with the spells make it a very easy game to break. Criticals percentages are straight boosts, making it easy to get a fifty percent critical chance, add life steal and the ability that makes your attacks hit twice every time and you heal yourself to full health every time you attack.

user, you should REALLY, REALLY try Exanima. At least once in a life everyone must try Exanima. This should be our next gen experience by now, isntead of what we are getting nowadays.

this looks like some Bilestoad reimagining than anything Diablo really.

Untold Legends

It's a PSP game.

I think it has quite a bit in common with the original diablo, but took a different path. Fantastic game if you enjoy high stakes dungeon crawl.

Din's curse is randomized in every single way and also has balancing if you want to try that, although the networking is a pain in the ass.

If they tightened the control scheme and made it easier to get gud it could easily translate to a Diablo-style game.

I just remembered when Diablo 3 was first announced and I was pretty hyped. And the months were then filled with dread and disappointment to the inevitable travesty of the release. I tried it out again last year to finally see what the 2.0 update was all about, I don't have Reaper of Souls, but figured I already had duped into buying it years ago what could be the harm. There were some changes that were in the right direction I guess, but just not nearly enough. Fuck, what a huge disappointment that game was to me.

I didn't know, rts's were never my thing so I didn't care about Starcraft 2. I didn't get into WoW either so I had no experience of the decline of it other than the murmurs I got from friends and on the internet. Learned my lesson though.

loki is titan quest if titan quest had zero budget and was produced by a single person who didn't have much talent.

By the fucking way.
Usually in Sacred when you start a new game your character will have two default skills learned.
If you go and edit Settings.cfg in game's folder and set DEFAULT_SKILLS : to 0, you will be able to choose your starting skills.
For example you want seraphim that doesn't use magic, like I do, so having magic lore is a waste of skill slot, with this you can learn something useful instead.

==FUCKING THIS==.

Play this shit, OP.
It's like Diablo meets Dark Souls and QWOP.
The combat is really frustrating to get used to, but stick with it and you become a God.

I never knew it had so much love and such huge community doing devs' job fixing it. I think I'll play with all of those installed, supposedly it should run and look fine even on mediocre by today's standards computers.

Nice try.

Pirate it then. Its actually really fucking good (And
sorta silly at the same time)

Game being good is another reason to not touch it while it's in early access you know. The main reason really.

Sacred 1
Titan Quest

This is the closest you will get to Diablo 1 (and 2 to a lesser degree). Hard as fuck though, gonna have to git gud (the real gud, not Dark Souls "gud").

Tried the Dwarves yet? Tactical RPG about Dorfs with Action-RPG combat elements, somewhat, plenty of torrents around and the game was based on a German fantasy book series.

And you'll need the most ridiculous stats you can get your hands on in order to beat the Arena on any appreciable difficulty. The Arena itself is half the game to me, just fucking slaughtering hordes of enemies and using different approaches gave me more than my money's worth for the game. The base story itself is only really challenging on its hardest difficult, but I still found it pretty fun. At the very least, I could tell the devs who made it gave a fuck and tried to create something they enjoyed, there was at least some kind of passion for it, it wasn't some cynical cash grabby AAA multi gorillion dollar budget slopheap. DS1 and 2 have a special place in my heart for the world building, artstyle and characterization alone, it has a real charm to them I wish more fucking games would actually try to achieve.

Yeah right shlomo

Any of you tried Soma Bringer on DS?

Soma Bringer is dope as fuck, especially the multiplayer.

Now that we have quite a few Sacredfags in here, Ive just found out they patched the server tools back in 2008 to work on multicore systems, which leads to the very real opportunity to host up a vLAN serber and drink up some of dat nostalgia juice.

Xanadu Next?
The loot isn't really as deep as the diablolikes but the game itself is great.

I expected diablo game, but got some weird fucking puzzle game. I don't want to say it's bad, but its presentation is pretty misleading.

I played a bit of co-op back in the day for both S1 and S2, and I dunno, it just wasn't very fun. Then again I'm huge fucking asocial sperg, so maybe that's why.

I really wanna give this game a try, mostly because Blind Guardian did a song for it. That's really the only selling point I need.

Also, Nox is fucking great. It's actually better than Diablo honestly

They tend to do that from time to time.

Well shit, I had no idea they made a song fro Sacred 2. Thanks, dubsanon

Cringe

tales of maj'eyal is sorta like D2

take D2, select hardcore modeunless you donate****, add races and replace the classes with alot more of them, and make it tile-based and turn-based and replace the plot; you're just a guy looking for adventure and nothing really serious happens until midway through the game
but theres almost no consumables unless you're an alchemist(the worst class), which they get tons of anyway, and, unfortunately maybe to you, enemies will NOT respawn

but theres also an unlockable(via gameplay) infinite dungeon campaign, which is pretty much just a dungeon with infinite floors, in which you can reach an infinitely high level… but so can the enemies, and the loot only gets so good

the game is also free and has active development

forgot pics
second pic is the levelup screen for one class
also its single-player only