"Important" video games

TL;DR
How long do you think it might take for an actually innovative video game to affect medium as a whole and to be recognized as something influential?

Games like pong and mario took around 20 year each to be recognized as something that laid foundation for future genres and overall vidya evolution, while Doom and Rogue were instant genre-defining games, despite not being the first of them.

One would think that something like Deus Ex or Syndicate should become a staple in the medium, yet they only produced a bunch of shitty sequels and imitations and never affected video games in any major way. Is it too early or too late for those?
Now a lot of gamejournos, youtubers and even anons right there on Holla Forums trumpet about how Nier Automata is one such important game, again despite not doing anything brand new or exceptional, but rather bringing those elements into a coherent whole.

Not long.

Apart from shitty clones, which every successful game has, what did it established?

Half Life and Half Life 2 made first person shooters more linear.

It started the craze for blocky/simplistic graphics and destructive/modifiable map tiles and all kinds of building games 2d and 3d alike. Now every game wants to have some kind of building thing in it.

I think a really big mould-breaking MMO game could do that, the genre has stagnated completely, a big budget one the did things different could suck in a huge amount of people.

Like what?

I blame sonic 3 & knuckles for making in-engine cut scenes a big thing.

Yeah I can see that.

Probably the other way around - people would not bother with it as they expect mmos to be mindless grinding, not an engaging mental and social activity.
Black Desert is an evidence of that, with PLAYERBASE demanding features to be removed and simplified.

You know multiple playthroughs being different, endings leading into each other, fourth wall breaking, fucking with save files, other games did those separately, but automata bunched them all together under some big names.

I'm one such user, tbh. I'd say that it's the best game I've played in ages because it manages to capture the specialness of Japanese videogames in the late 90's. It's rooted, for me, in how quirky and immature it is, whilst managing to be quite profound and thought-provoking. By the end I felt a genuine connection with it's characters.

Also, the music is brilliant: derivative (as you point out, much of the game is), but brilliant.

None of that even as a whole is important to video games, you've just diminished my interest in the game.

Well that's the point of this thread. You would think that cut-scenes in HL are not important, yet they led to a fucking whole genre of interactive moives and arguably walking sims.
You would think that merge of gameplay elements and meta narrative of Deus Ex would change the whole industry and elevate complexity of games to a whole new level, but it didn't.
In fact games became much simpler since then.

I personally think that Automata went too far with meta and 4th wall breaking, but implementation and evolution of NG+ concept and different playable characters were brilliant.

I tend to look at "important" games in three ways:
1) Games that were the first to do something
2) Games that popularized something
3) Games that were the best at something

Sometimes a game might qualify for two or all three of those categories.

The "something" might be gameplay mechanics, control schemes, graphical improvements, technical improvements beyond graphics, etc.

I've played minecraft recently, because of multiplayer and it feels like a tech demo for 1992 hardware.
What the hell is wrong with notch, he has no goddamn imagination.

Studying trends always fascinates me.
For example, why are amnesia and souls game two genre defying titles?
My idea is that we weren't getting any more dark tones in vidya before them, and they felt like a fresh beginning.

I dunno, seems like there were plenty of games with dark times to me, but of varying quality. Dead Space 1 was pretty fucking dark, still the best of that franchise.

Now this is a very subjective thing. Just saying.
However 1 and 2 are something that also give names to new genres and sub-genres and those tend to trigger specific people. Some still can't deal with metroidvania for example.

I didn't understand this phrase I'm sorry. Are you saying there weren't enough dark and somber games before them? What about Diablo or even King's Field from the devs of Souls?
Or what did you mean?

Dark tones*
Fucking autocorrect

Minecraft in a sense is a "perfect storm" of shit that happened to make it happen
Notch was the programming guy, not the design guy, people like Jeb were supposed to be design guys. The Minecraft you see today is the result of Notch creating a draft of basic actors on top of a beta game engine he made, then getting lazy and putting Jeb in charge so he could just rip shit from the community and then sell the company to Microsoft

Notch used to be a Holla Forums user back on halfchan when MC was still in alpha, now look at the Kike today..

Subjectivity might take over when talking about two versions of a mechanic that are a bit different and both good, but objectivity would like in when faced with an obviously bad rendition of a mechanic. Camera control schemes are a good one. The early days of 3D cameras were extremely rough with lots of different ideas being tried. Most were shit purely because they failed to accomplish their mission.

Would kick* in
Fuck you phone.

Sorry user, i just woke up.
I meant that in that time period we were getting a lot of stale plot developement.
Something dark and misterious was good to freshen up things.

You've just made me realize my fears that almost all the talk about Nier Automata is useless wank.

In what way does the simple application of elements already well handled in games and integrated into the gameplay suddenly important, I'm very much doubtful, it sounds like you are just throwing down Important as a buzz word because of how much you liked the game. Wow man, a game that breaks the 4 wall with a meta story, that encapsulates multiple different playthroughs, that's never been done before.

One of my sentences is broke.

become suddenly important when joined together and placed into a game you personally liked.

user, if i was to make a project here on Holla Forums and whatever company were to give me 2 million buckaroos for the licensing rights, i'd do it on a whim.
However, after the advertisement that comes with this sort of events happening, i'd try to milk the cow more by doing a second game on my own

Automata is an important game because of the record amount of semen spilled fapping to 2B waifu fanart that was drawn by the truckload. I get it guys, it's a cute character, but holy fuck keep your dicks in check once in a while.

Now this fucking genius fucking gets it.

Notch got 3 billion mate.

$3,000,000,000
Or about 0.5 Donald Trumps.

I know, but i would sell for less.

If you're saying that game can be important ONLY if it introduces something brand new, then I disagree with you.

No, but you're basically saying that any game that isn't a completely derivative work is important, at least if you think Nier Automata is legitimately important as a game, since it literally does nothing new nor does it apply things that already exist in a way that no other game has done before.

Is Factorio an important game
Is Destiny an Important game
Is Skyrim an important game
Is Guild Wars an important game

when all the games are important none of them are.

Of the games you listed, only Skyrim is important.
I think the importance of Skyrim is that it made a lot of people realize what we want to see more of, despite having SO MANY flaws.

No, every one of those games is an important milestone in gaming.

see, this is the exact kind of thinking that led us to the mess we are in now , in the first place

I personally think that automata is important because
1) NG+ is not the same shit as before with buffed enemies, but rather a new experience from both narrative and gameplay stand point.
2) Different playable characters are also more than just different moveset, they also change both story and flow of the game.
3) Above elements merged with coherent high quality gameplay that is accessible and enjoyable to play by both casual AND hardcore players leading to a wide spread of said elements and improvements POTENTIALLY leading them to be implemented into other games, maybe on even higher level.

For example Dark Souls 2 tried to do "NG+ being different" thing, but it didn't catch up because of game's overall poor reception.
Castlevania AOS, DOS and POR tried the whole "different characters are different stories" as well as "NG+ is different story" things, but those didn't become popular because Igavania were pretty niche at the time, and only led to the rise of shitty indie metroidvanias surge, rather than implementation of said rare elements.

No, Warframe is, as it popularized japan's PVE online action game genre in the west, something PSO and Vindictus couldn't do before it. Destiny is a product of that.

Yes because it led to a huge influx of open world games even though it was far from being the first one even in its own franchise. Also it helped the overall casualization of games, so I think it's an important game in negative way.

No, because none if its innovation caught up with the public and its own sequel is bogstandard MMO.

Is it even done or it's still in EA? I dunno honestly. Did it introduce anything new? Did those innovations become popular? I think even if it IS an important game, it's too early to speak of it.

Pretentious shit is always being made en mass in every medium. Thinking that video games will be an exception is naive.

I'm being taken for a ride here aren't I?

In the case that you aren't

All of those have been done before and implemented well in games on top of that you've completely dropped things you claimed made the game an "important" release in a previous post, showing you quite clearly have no fucking idea what you are talking about and only want to use Important as a buzz word.

Important game is something that establish things, not invent them.

What sells often inspires and leads. I haven't played Nier Auto, but it may just bring sexy back into the marketplace as a winning formula. I've not played Undertale but being successful with few involved could be more influential with AAA farming devs to do the same. Pacman and GTAIII, on the other hand, created a fever that sent a wave of influence outside and inside the industry. They are the important games. Dues Ex and Chronotrigger are not as important in that sense, even though they are championed in the industry. The Souls series are important games, praise the sun memes it's way outside the industry but no so much as GTAIII and PacMan et al.

Starcraft: Brood War is getting a reboot. Blizzard is taking the original game and updating the graphics and the engine so that it runs on modern computers. Broodwar was the first big "e-sport" and twenty years later, it's still very popular with televised cash leagues in Korea. If people make a lot of money at a game, that helps to make the game a staple. The same could be said about LoL and Dota, both of which are about 10 years old. Actually, I don't think it takes very long at all. Revolutionary games are usually identified right away. The big exception is Rogue, which remained a rather obscure title for most of its life until Spelunky and FTL were released. Suddenly, every nu-male indie-dev had to release a pixelshit Roguelike.

It started the crafting meme.

it's one thing when it "just happens" due to inevitability and entropy and it's another when you actively seek it out and deluding yourself that you're "changing the world" with the videogames you make .This is the hook a good chunk of both the developers and the gamers retards in their audience willingly sought out and fell for ; and from your OP it's not unfair that i would assume the same of you

It can do both, and I never implied that games had to invent them, lots of games had a camera before Super Mario 64 but super Mario 64 was the first to show an understanding of how a camera in a 3d world should work and how the camera is more than just an object to display what is currently happening in a game, amongst other things, Doom wasn't anywhere near the first FPS but it showed an understanding of level design, enemy design, and weapon design that finally made these games viable. Nier Automata does none of these things, I'm sure it does what it sets out to do well, but other games had already lead the way in what Nier does, It's in no way a significant title, undoubtedly it won't be forgotten, die hard fans will never let go of their dicks thanks to how absolutely sexy To Be is.

This fan wank is killing me, at least that crack looks be showing.

Why do you sage?

I never said that.

because my favorite color is blue

shit taste

say that to my **pepsiman's* face and see what happens

But that's silver, not blue.

I still don't get "Metroidvania"
What does it mean? Is it short for "Semi-open map, need upgrades to progress."?

People became desperate to prove videogames as a form of art. The big criteria for art is expression. However because of the hacks in the industry that can't understand good writing, the importance of a videogame is determined by its message rather its execution.

2D exploration game. Linearity is masked by barriers that only open under certain circumstances, i.e. a story event or obtaining an item.

Like you said, depends on the game. Dark Souls took a couple of years for everything to be "the Dark Souls of the genre" or "like Dark Souls but". World of Warcraft was practically overnight and MMOs have been shit ever since.

Minecraft may have simple graphics but that doesn't mean it would run on 90s or early 00s hardware, even if it were efficiently programmed.

Not to pick nits, but if multiple playthroughs are required than isn't it wrong to call it New Game+? Especially if it's as different as you claim.

Sounds like it's more akin to revisiting previous stages than a new game. **Same with Undertale. The game is meant to be played 3 times. Calling those 3 iterations different "games" is deceptive.

how about you play the game when its cracked and see for yourself, because I'm pretty sure you weren't going to buy it in the first place.

At this point I'd rather have 2B to not exist because her design diminishes the game. NieR did it right using an ugly as fuck character so people actually pay attention to the game.

Innovative games take decades to eventually be ripped off by shitty developers like the japanese or whatever

Shit casual games that make the medium even dumber, however, become a thing overnight, like cancer

I am waiting for the crack, I was going to buy it but after reading about the shit quality of the port I dropped it from buy to pirate.

Also this fan wank is killing me.

He missed the most important part. Meaningful player interaction. Don't want to spoil what that is though. Not multiplayer though, if that's what you might jump to.

No, execution and combining existing element in "new" ways is key. Nier Automata managed to combine 4th wall breaking, player interaction, and save data deletion, all at just one point in the game in a meaningful way, with great music playing, and a fun as hell bullet hell game, in a game that would normally be classified as action or action-rpg. It executed this amazingly, and I can think of no other game that has combined these things in such a way, so seamlessly, and to such great effect.

That happens to me all the time.
Such is life on free vpns.

I'd say Demon Memes and Dank Memes are both important games, despite the latter being very unfinished. Dank Memes Double and Triple are not important games. They're cashgrab sequels with varying quality and ingenuity.

Bloodborne might be important. But it might just be really good.

Yeah thank BB for making devs stop putting chromatic aberration into their games for no reason. Truly a hero we didn't deserve.

Okay, I know Tor is a meme, but this can't be a coincidence, right?

See and tell me one game that does something similar and does it well.

Shit, meant for

This wasn't an issue to anyone who isn't a raging autist.

Ok

It looks bad and is used to cover when other shit looks bad. If you're shit doesn't look bad, you shouldn't use it just because it's habit in the industry. Simple enough.

Well, sucks to be you then, but the vast majority of people who played it had no such complaints.
Plus, that effect gives a unique look to the game.

It doesn't.

Yeah majority of people who played it had a complaints about shitty framerate and lack of content.
And no it doesn't give unique look to the game, you idiot, character, art and level design does.

Do you need glasses?

As well as a hundred other things combined, certain graphical effects just being one of them.

Do you?

I'm not moving the goalposts you nigger, I said its shitty post processing made my eyes hurt, and since then it's not used in video games anymore because I wasn't the only one, and I fucking stand by that claim. Can you prove me wrong? You can try motherfucker.

If you remove chromatic aberration from BB it won't look any less unique, in fact it will look both more unique and better.

I think this is what he was referring to when he said you were moving goalposts. I don't even know why you said that. Are you autistic?

You brought up something completely unrelated to what we were talking about. I shouldn't need to spell this out for you.

Prove you wrong of what? I didn't question your claim that your eyes hurt, but if you're saying that you represent the opinion of the majority then it's you who should providing evidence to that claim.

user, calm down, it's just video games.

Oh well, I'm sorry. But looking at your posts I wonder who looks more autistic.

I'm so sorry user, but video games is the most important thing in human history since air conditioning, so I'm taking it very seriously.

Can specify which of my autistic posts you're referring to?