Gamepad/controller thread

I have to buy a new controller, which ones are the best? Going to use on a PC to play emulators, Bayonetta and some other shit. Bad thing is, I have to buy it on a physical store in the USA, Florida to be precise.

In the mean time, lets talk about controllers. Pic related Sony controller always had the worst D-Pad.

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Microsoft-Wired-Controller-Windows-Console/dp/B004QRKWLA
amazon.com/DualShock-Wireless-Controller-PlayStation-Black-CUH-ZCT2/dp/B01LWVX2RG
amazon.com/Xbox-Wireless-Controller-White/dp/B01GW3H3U8
amazon.com/Nintendo-Switch-Pro-Controller/dp/B01NAWKYZ0
amazon.com/Thrustmaster-Controller-Official-Xbox-360-6306200/dp/B008JABA5C
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I use a ps2 one, it's good.

Get some xbone sticks cheap off amazon and put them in a DS4

Don't touch anything from a 6th gen console or after, none of thoes consoles had a single good controller.

-t. mustardcuck

get a saturn pad for 2d games and a ds4 for modern games

Eh, it's that easy? Gotta do that.

What's the best kind of d-pad? Personally, I prefer the ones that have a sort of click to them, like on the GBA SP or 3DS.

If you want to emulate PS2 games you pretty much need a DS3 for pressure sensitive buttons

Mechanical d-pads, but nobody makes them anymore for whatever reason.

Vita has a very pleasant one.

i USE A FIGHTSTICK AND sATURN PAD FOR FIGHTING GAMES AND 2D GAMES FOR THE MOST PART. mOST OTHER GAMES i USE A dUALSHOCK 3. iF i', PLAYING AN FPS i USE KEYBOARD AND MOUSE.

NIGGA DEY ALL CHINESE

ARE YOU OK user?

i GOT A SCAR ON MY LEG IN THE SHAPE ON AN 's' FROM FALLING OFF OF A BOAT, BUT OTHER THAN THAT i'M FINE.

I CAN'T HEAR YOU, user
SPEAK LOUDER

I CAN'T HEAR YOU, user!
SPEAK LOUDER!

SHIIEEET

what? I can't hear you

Maybe he's blind and didn't notice his Capslock was on.

You're right about the blind part. I'm near sighted and typing in the dark.

Watch some videos so you don't rip the shoulder buttons off when popping the case or tear the ribbon cable out of the touch pad assembly, that's a bitch to get back on.
Other than those it's pretty simple, the xbox sticks fit perfectly and improve things remarkably. Whoever put convex thumbsticks on the controller in the first place should be sudoku'd

Just use M+K

cuck

the Xbox One one

I looked up "xbox 11" and the only gamepads I see are from microsoft's console. Wat do?

If pic related had analog triggers it'd be the best hands down.

Saturn controller for 2D games. DS4 for everything else.

Saturn pad, no contest.

Are you retarded? It is outright incorrect to claim that any Xbox controller or the Gamecube controller has a better dpad than any Dualshock controller. Dualshocks actually give you the space you need to use the dpad properly, whereas other controllers put the dpad on as a complete afterthought and make it as awful as possible to use.

Why do we have a controller thread every fucking week? It's always the same opinions, same advice, and same shitposts. I'm surprised nobody's posted the Logitech f310 yet.

one day i'm going to mod my dream 2D controller. It's just a saturn pad, except the top row has comfy big buttons instead of those tiny annoying buttons.

a boy can dream.

Sad.

I didn't say shit about my dream 3D controller.

Both the Xbone S and DS4 pads are good. DS4 has more utility since you can bind the touchpad to the mouse using Steam.

What's next, are you going to mod mechanical keys into your 360 pad?

why would anyone use the ds4 is absolutely beyond me

where is the redeeming quality of this controller? I always hated PS controllers but the DS4 takes a shit sundae and pours shit sauce on it

You microcucks can't even agree if it's too big or too small.
Good enough for tournys, good enough for me.
Can be effortlessly disabled.
Extremely useful macropad.
Another feature that doesn't detract from anything.
Compared to what? Mine has been knocked off of my desk dozens of times and it's still rock solid.
Which coincidentally is perfect for every good game you'd want to use a gamepad with.
Lying on the internet.
Like the touchpad, can be effortlessly bound to something else.
Comfy as fuck, and again, good enough for tournyfags, good enough for me.
Only valid criticism.
Because you're a consolecuck with terminal shit taste. I bet you own horitrash too.

who is a microcuck? their controller sucks too

at least theirs (XB1) is a decent size and has good triggers and replaceable battery, it also doesn't have a dumbfuck layout

for the record nintendo's controllers are shit too and the steampad is the worst of all nobody has EVER made a good gamepad in the history of EVER because nobody understands that you need
ONE ANALOG RELATIVE DIRECTIONAL INPUT
ONE ANALOG ABSOLUTE DIRECTIONAL INPUT
ONE DIGITAL DIRECTIONAL INPUT
AT LEAST SIX FACE BUTTONS
AT LEAST FOUR OPTION BUTTONS
TRIGGERS THAT ARE BOTH ANALOG AND DIGITAL
and finally
A SECOND DISPLAY ON THE CONTROLLER THAT ISN'T FUCKIN USELESS (dreamcast) OR FUCK HUGE (wii u)

and make the shit with a proper fixed wire because your fuckin wireless bullshit sucks and fuck batteries

Why are you even here?

because shitty as they are there are some games that just play better on a controller so we have to make do with what we have

mostly I just wanted to shit on the DS4 tho (*'▽')

i really like the form of the ps controllers, but i could never justify buying the crummy overpriced console ones
the ds4 looks like a huge step down from the ds3 for pc usage anyway

definitely not dualshock 4's d-pad, I fucking hate long travel distance between the opposing directions, you can't precisely press down any of the four buttons without re-adjusting your thumb, on the xbox 360 one, as fucking shit as that is, you can, and that made it very comfy( assuming it wasn't broken or not working flawlessly, which happens to the production of 80% x360 controllers)

I've used this shit for years and I love it. The analog sucks for fighting games because the housing shape is square (fucking sony copyrights) but that D-Pad is hella awesome.

Nigger fuck off

What games even use pressure sensitive buttons other than MGS

I hope nobody seriously buys budget logitech pads. I hope nobody actually buys logitech products. They are shit.

their 2.0 speakers seem ok
i think if chinese companies that make good shit did longer product runs logitech controllers wouldn't even show up in these threads

cheap speakers are only worth buying if you have no speakers really

what's wrong with logitech mice?

angle snapping, prediction, and there are just better alternatives like zowie shit

Mouse like g303/gpro have the best sensor on the market with absolutely no angle snapping/prediction. Zowie actually use the dated 3310's and charge $60+.

Naw, the d-pad is too close to the buttons.

I've been using an xbox360 controller for the longest time, and it would be perfect if it weren't for the utterly abysmal dpad.

If the xbone controller is the same but with good dpad get that, but I can't confirm it myself.

PATHETIC

Can you just stop trying to fit in so hard.

Anyone ever used Gameport controllers? Will we ever be able to use them again on modern PCs?

UGH
Go back to fucking whatever shithole you came from, faggot.

I like the DS4. No bully pls.

It just fits the hand better than the previous ones, and now with support for PC I can even use it for emulators.

I use my ds3, it's nice.
Feel a bit bad for my PS3 though.

you can use them now but why would you want to they are shit sending signals designed for the original IBM PC through a hacked MIDI port

What the hells a mushy d-pad you autist

Every time I try to buy a DS3, it's ripped to shit. Either it's stone fucking dead and won't charge even with a different battery, or the stick caps are chewed off, or the casing is fucking broken. I started to wonder why every Dual Shock 3 controller on eBay was either "lol 97% new price" or a dog toy, but then I remembered the primary Playstation audience.

Well fuck me.

i just want decent sound, with a volume knob on the speaker and no subwoofer.
options are pretty limited and the pricier ones often seem to have complaints about a tinny sound.

I'm thinking about buying this one. Some people said it was a good controller, but I would like to know more about the weight, size (does it feels good on someone with big hands/fingers) and if the "DInput/XInput" button makes any fucking difference.

it's awful. Bottom of the barrel shit, don't pay for $15 quality. Get a good controller.

If you absolutely have to go with a poorfag controller, just spend $8 more and get a 360 pad.

amazon.com/Microsoft-Wired-Controller-Windows-Console/dp/B004QRKWLA

Which one? The DS4 seems a bit expensive.

Compared to what?

Revision 2 DS4 is $44: amazon.com/DualShock-Wireless-Controller-PlayStation-Black-CUH-ZCT2/dp/B01LWVX2RG
Revision 2 Xbone controller is $47: amazon.com/Xbox-Wireless-Controller-White/dp/B01GW3H3U8
Switch Pro is $69: amazon.com/Nintendo-Switch-Pro-Controller/dp/B01NAWKYZ0

I am the master of all domains.

wii u pro with mayflash, ds4, xbone

lol pointer plebe, dont even got a good dpad or 6 button layout. get your first person shitter and rtshit controllers outta here

Do I need Windows 10 to use the xbone controller?

No, why would you?

Well, Microsoft was jewing so much with windows 10 that I thought would be better to ask. Better safe than sorry.

Christ, I still cannot find a Dual Shock 3 that hasn't been chewed by feral apes, or isn't being sold for fucking launch price. Is my only option to wait a month and a half for a bootleg from China?

So im guessing im like one of the few people who owns a super pad 64 controller (without the turbo button).

I like it alot compared to the original N64 controller, but i feel like $30 was a little pricey. I could be wrong but i'd like to know what you anons think about it, whether you own one yourselves or have played with one.

Is this what a shill is?

Assuming you have a DS2 lying around, why not just get one of the adapters for that for your pressure sensitive meme buttons?

How? I heard even Gameport>USB adaptors don't work with modern versions of windows anymore
I just want to use retro gimmicky controllers

can you faggots please help me I have a dualshock 4 + cable AND bought an additional official™ dualshock 4™ wireless adapter™ like a good goy, and they both work fine, except as soon as I plug in the cable while controller is already active wirelessly, it gets recognized as a new controller instead of the same one, the latter part which is what I'd prefer. There's no seamless transition between playing wirelessly and using cable, it's like games recognize it as player 1 and player 2.
Any tips besides

consider suicide for being a cancerous retard who actually wastes money on expensive jew gayming™ peripherals

PS4 controller user here I use it with the DS4 windows program works flawlessly.

The lack of a home button causes issues, and I recall some problems with the start and select buttons not being recognized by most games.

I used a Chinese bluetooth 4.x dongle and Input Mapper. Works fine, but I get some lag when connected to a charger.

Is this bait?

I could see that being an issue with HTPC setups, yes.
I assumed you were specifically wanting to use it for PS2 emulation. If you're using it for everything else, why not just get a DS4 which is a pretty great upgrade over a DS3?

I'll give some feedback after I test it

I cannot play Yakuza 4 with a Dual Shock 2 or Dual Shock 4. It's a pain in the goddamn ass trying to do anything on the PS3 without the proper controller. My problem is that I don't want to wait forever for a bootleg to arrive, and I don't want to buy any more broken controllers with the hopes of assembling one Autobot-X style working controller from the heap. Also fuck paying new price for a last-gen console's controller.

Thrustmaster GPX

$29.99 new

Wired 360/PC controller with 16-bit analog sticks instead of 8-bit, and cross-shaped d-pad instead of that circle crap.

amazon.com/Thrustmaster-Controller-Official-Xbox-360-6306200/dp/B008JABA5C

Who had one of these?

DS4 is superb

should plebian computer gamers be allowed superior tools if they do not understand them?

I got a new ds4 recently because all my otherones have shity sticks. I put on the Persona 5 skin which came with my game. I don't know if I want to keep it because it sort of looks bad with my placement and I think it messes with the O button. Is there anyway I could take it off and store it for later, I like the skin but I sort of want it to be plain for now.

And Genesis/Saturn d-pads are even worse, they break easily both inside and outside.

wrong

I also have the thing the skin came on, is putting it on there a good idea?

Why are you lying?
Stop throwing your controls when you get mad fucktard.

Two sticks on the bottom is the worst fucking layout of all time. It's fucking trash.

It's cheap but sturdy. biggest issue with it is the d-pad

The fuck ever, retard.

HERE IS WHAT IS WRONG WITH EVERY CONTROLLER. NOT ALL-INCLUSIVE.

ATARI:

NINTENDO:

SEGA:

NEO GEO:

3DO:

XBOX:

SONY:

as someone who maintains pretty much every controller you listed or has at one point or another, you're pretty much completely right. Just worth mentioning that all sony controllers post dual analog are a pain in the ass to reassemble. Dreamcast does have a fix at least.

what were they thinking?

Probably the same thing gun companies run into:

d-pad on ps2 and above is much softer or has more give than the ps1 d-pad.

just copy what sega did it works and it works better than a fucking retarded small spring that you will lose

My DS3 broke recently so I picked up a bone controller and it's pretty great, controls well and the drivers work in every game out of the box even on ganoo slash linux.

Is the Hori Pokken Tournament Pad good for 2D Games? It's cheap as fuck and I've heard nice things of it. Pics related.

hori generally makes great products, but I have no experience with this one.

Disposable.

There is only one true form to game on a PC with a controller.

Somewhere some one still has one of these I bet.

you absolutely need to metion that not only do its triggers suck, having to be pressed all the way down and very firmly to register as button press without releasing, and the D-Pad *does not work as it should* for 90% of currently produced x360 gamepads, there is a good chance that if you own a x360 controller, your d-pad is faulty in some way due to the extremely cancerous, cheap way it's produced.
Also the analog sticks will easily deteriorate after some usage and have reduced range and misaligned center, causing (for instance) constant up pressing through a video game's menu or makes your character walk constantly even when you're not pressing the analog stick, very annoying

imagine away that "and" there, made the sentence incoherent
wanted to add I own 4 or 5 of these and they all are garbage, so it must be very common issues as I predicted in my post

Until your thumbs bleed from the direction pad. The thumbstick pads weren't really made of the best material either.

I want something like the Nintendo Switch pro controller but with proper shoulder buttons and price that isn't jewish.

Does anyone else hate micro USB? Mine always fall out of the socket, and the aluminum-foil connector bends into a 45 degree angle just from the weight of the wire

Wrong controller.

related

Stop using bottom-tier cables and that will cease to be an issue. Find one with a sturdy head that isn't made of brittle plastic.

The Xbox One Elite controller is the best I've ever used. The tactile feel is incredible, and it honestly just feels good to use.

As for fighting games, I use a hitbox - they're far, far better than regular sticks.

Riiiight.

MicroUSB is still pretty shit m8. Even on "premium" electronics the connection is still pretty fragile. That being said, it's still better than the size of USB.

Any idea if USB-C actually feels good?

How long did it take you to get used to it? I've been playing all my life with a regular arcade stick, pretty casually though, and hitboxes feel like they have a much steeper learning curve.

It's really nice, but i basically have to custom order cables

I really, really fucking hate this shit. I never have this much of a problem with mice and keyboards, yet I use those way, way more than gamepads. It's fucking tech-related-jewry I tell you. Same with video cards, who will always be the most expensive shit for terrible performance. I fucking hate jews

I learned how to play fightans on a keyboard, so it didn't take me terribly long at all. Just practice doing the motions you'll need a few times a week and you'll be good in no-time.

I'd define fragile electronics as those that can only handle very light use without breaking, the opposite of 'rugged' electronics. Since micro-usb is sturdy enough to hold up constant, normal use without breaking, I wouldn't call it fragile.

Get better cables, and don't throw your tech around like a nigger and you'll never have any problem with it breaking.

Even gentle use over the course of a year or more can result in damage. MicroUSB connectors are only held on by very narrow solder connections. They're not secured with epoxy or screws or anything like that. Solder was never meant to be anything other than an electrically conductive adhesive.

They're definitely not as durable as lightning connectors, but two of my ventev microusb cables have been plugged/unplugged at minimum, once a day for two years now. No issues.

Meanwhile I'm sitting here watching faggots with ~$3 cables complaining that they fall apart in a month. My answer is still to get non-shit cables.

I'm an electronic engineer. Buying expensive cables is a waste of your life. They're almost all made in China anyway, so why add more (((middlemen))) to jack up the price? The problem is the connector in the controller/system itself. I can fix shit like that, but to everyone else, it's like catastrophic failure.

Okay.
Not from my point of view, when I've never had any issue with these supposedly "fragile" cables.

This is like faggots complaining about how pocket 380s are unreliable, meanwhile I'm sitting here with my god-tier P238 that has broken 3k rounds without a single failure.

I have question. If a company made a controller that replaces the right analog stick with a trackball, how good of a controller would it be? I keep on hearing how trackballs are the more precise instrument to use compared to any mouse, and I was wondering why a company hasn't caught on to this yet and make PC controller, or even a system controller, that has a trackball.

Personally, I'd very much prefer this because I almost always want to use a controller whenever I can, and only use the M&K when playing shooters.

You got meme'd.
Zero demand. Worse than a thumbstick for shit you'd want to use a thumbstick with, worse than a mouse for everything else unless you're disabled and have range of motion issues.
Have you ever used a trackball before?
As you should.

As somebody who's used that controller, the D-pad absolutely kills it.

THIS IS NOT RESPECTING THE ROBOT

Also the way the pad is designed makes it nearly impossible to accidentally wrong-input. With a 360 pad it is very, very easy to hit a diagonal by mistake, The entire point of a dpad is the discreet input directions, so not being able to reliably hit ONLY the direction you want is about the worst thing possible.

This is very visible when the up/down and left/right do different things in game, so if you try to perform any of these actions quickly you often end up doing the wrong one or even multiple actions together. Again, this is basically impossible to fuck up on a playstation-style dpad.

Trackballs are not worse than a regular mouse. They just take a LOT of practice to get good with. Although I do think thumb-balls might be a bit more limited in range-of-motion than center-balls (like pic related).

The whole point of a cable is to connect two components, electrically. So long as the material connecting the components is sufficiently conductive, nothing else really matters. Unless your wires are twisted together and taped up, there's little that can fuck off in a simple conductor cable. Going cheap with transceivers and data storage is a mistake, to be sure.

The bootleg PS3 pad I bought years ago had a shit battery, which I replaced pretty quickly, but otherwise was comparable with first-party pads. I'm still not quite at the point where if I had just knuckled down and gone El Cheapo from China, I'd have the same wait time as a domestic purchase, so I guess I have to keep looking.

For gaming they sure as fuck are. There's a reason nobody uses that trash for competitive play. inb4 >competitive play

Tell that to all of the anons like who have their ~3 cables break because they're built like shit.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Nobody uses them because they've already mastered a regular mouse. They have the POTENTIAL to be just as good, but there's really no point in trying to reach that potential as is.

I'm not really sure if they are more difficult to learn, or they just seem that way because we are all already used to a normal mouse and don't even remember having to learn it because we did so at such a young age. I have a friend though who has always used trackballs and can outplay me with them in my best games.

That's a meaningless, baseless statement. That's like saying that a clitmouse or trackpad has the "potential" to be as good as a mouse. No one uses these in high-level play not because "they're hard to learn", but because they're imprecise as fuck compared to a mouse which is going to be 100% consistent.

I use fifty cent cables bought in bundles from China, and the only failure I've had with one is the clips that are about a millimeter wide in the end plug casing broke on one end of one cable, and the shroud had to be taped to stay on. Oh no. If I can bother, I'll glue it for a more permanent solution. This isn't to say that China isn't the (((merchants))) of Asia, but there's a point where no matter how cheap you go, you can't do worse than "good enough".

A trackball can be more precise than a mouse, because you're not fighting to keep static friction from kicking in while changing direction or moving very slowly. I still won't use one, because I don't do anything anymore that necessitates such a high level of precision that I can dedicate months into mastering a different type of input device that I could only use at home.

That's fantastic. There are many anons here who uses said $12 controllers, $90 monitors and love them very much.
Chinese manufacturers build things to the spec they're given, nothing more, nothing less.
Stop using fabric mousepads. With gaming input devices we're looking for speed + precision. There is no trackball that can compete with a good mouse. End of story.