Open World Games (Skyrim Edition)

What is it about this game that drew normalfags to it so fucking hard, that they now compare every open world game to it?

Promises of potential.

Too bad they code locked too much shit, so not even mods could fix the fundamental flaws of it.

Thus, potential squandered.

It's Easy
It's Fantasy
It was marketed like hot cakes
Memes

Well that was part of the marketing, they used a combination of reddit, youtube and gaming journalism to hype the game to the highest heaven. It was No Man's Sky before No Man's Sky, the only reason Todd Howard isn't laughed out of the industry is because his games are playable. Granted they're turds, however the marketing department is heavily involved with the product, turning a giant turd into a golden tree that spills out money and shit.

You gotta commend the marketing team, they get the devs to make half of the game and then get the "modding community" to fix the game for free. It's free advertising and they would have profited heavily off of paid mods if it wasn't for Holla Forums and Dank Ink.

It won the test of time award.

Well casuals are fucking idiots, and you can't deny that steam is filled with casuals, also possible that shit was rigged to begin with. Just look at Smash Bros and the Bayonetta inclusion.

What? They're not being serious are they?

and thanks to this marketing it was the first "real" game for many people and they couldnt see past Todds lies,
bad writing, bland combat and they probably fell for those generated quests thinking they were actually something that took effort to make

Exactly, they used a combination of shitty reddit viral marketing and youtubers to attract the Call of Duty/Portal 2 crowd and got them on board with Skyrim, the saddest part of it all is that for a ton of Japanese developers, it was the first real WRPG they've played as well. So for these pseudo gamers it was their first jump into a real game, I would say the second was Dark Souls.

They actually tried that shit with XCom, but canned the idea because of the lewd shit that was spreading on image boards. Which was a huge mistake as seen by Nier Automata. They also tried it the same concept but with less resources with Doom 4, but that game was even shittier than Skyrim, so it died quickly.

It gives an illusion of great depth so normalfags being so generally idle and pathologically nonabbrasive settel on their default position of "its passable so its good", as they probably do not play longer than an hour after wageslaving like they do with most other triple A titles. They go from place to place picking up and switching weapons like in borderland, never planning ahead just following marker on the map after each bland briefing of "story" imposed between one quest to another, never making any progress compared to our usual highly strategic and somewhat autistic manner of efficiency; playing it like a traditional RPG whereas normalfags charge into a dragon on novice two maces swinging, with an occasional animation here and there to make them feel extra powerful, an action game.

BTW I like Skyrim its alright, there are really good builds with all the DLCs involved if you're autistic enough, major complaint is lack of fashion like in Morrowind.

They got too greedy too fast though. The remaster of skyrim, and tricking out their skyrim and fallout 4 modders really burned a lot of bridges.

do you really wanna know the answer?

Well no shit, they still have a steady cash flow regardless. Like casuals consider Skyrim to be this huge masterpiece when Morrowind did it before, that's not to mention that Fallout 4 had less content than New Vegas, mainly since they could get away with it and they knew it.

The way the game puts immersion first, and it's emphasis on roleplay, although it doesn't do either well it still has them, and that's why people love it, there exists no other games that do what Skyrim/Fallout does, why do you think people here play it begrudgingly, because there is no fucking alternative.

This. Every damn TES game, including the classics, will make you think, "Damn, this would have been so good if they had this and removed that." Making you think there's a good game hidden in there somewhere until you play it for about 100 hours and realize it's just a painfully mediocre and overhyped bugfest that didn't even try.

So you think, "Well, these problems were pretty obvious and they probably acknowledge them now!" Then a year later after realizing it's shit, an E3 trailer rolls out for the sequel and they overhype it again while still being vague as fuck about the details so you assume that the developers were sensical enough to live up to the previous game's potential.

They don't, but guess what? This time they try something new and it seems so cool, but then you realize it's totally fucking lame and the cycle continues.

And that's how the Bethesdrone is born.

There was a huge hype before Skyrim's release.
Don't forget everything Todd said that increased it.

What the fuck. That sounds far-fetched even for Todd.

You got a source on that?

What draws them in is the same thing that draws in normalfags to Minecraft, Conan Exiles or GTA Onlineā€¦ You get to wander around and make your own gameplay up as you go. Your online experience is all reliant on you, so if you want to continuously compete with other people, you can.

It's the most hollow and ridiculous fucking gameplay, and it's JUST enough for normalfags to be satisfied. They're not used to things like modding and the like, so when they introduced the ability to install mods into games with a single click on the Steam workshop, they jumped at that shit. Too bad it's still the same old broken modding system, and you still find hundreds of threads per day of normalfags who ask "WHY IS MY SKYRIM CLOSING ON STARTUP?"

It's okay, fam. Skyrim a shit, OpenMW not a shit. Todd can't even dream of competing with an open source Morrowind engine.

Can't find vid.
You can just google "sabotage economy" and skyrim and you'll see a lot of people heard what i heard

I can't play Skyrim anymore. Every step I look at something and think how that could be improved and how cool this would be to add and then I think how to do it and hit my head on engine limitations. It's just exasperating.

What put the final nail in the coffin was the lazy """special edition""" which fixed nothing. Physic still shit, animations hard locked and low poly distant terrain vs water plane looks still like shit.

Made me realize they only pushed the special edition out to make people sign up for their bethshop storefront to get mods, most likely for future exclusivity and monetization (and control) of modding content.

Fuck that. Beth and zenimax can eat a fat one.

MEMES!

The reason that nobody has that blurb in video form is because Bethesda DMCA'd the videos pertaining to it. Seems like they wanted to do SOME damage control.

Marketing

The world is nicely designed, it's quite full of substance unlike the ones in Ubi and R* games. The graphics looked decent. Also, the popularity of white nationalism is increasing among youth lately. As a bogpilled game about white people who defend their nation, skyrim is adored by the young people.

Yet gearbox is going bankrupt and FO4 got less praise than Skyrim.

Gonna get bullied for this but has anyone tried elder scrolls online?

Marketing + fanboys = dominance.

TES isn't the only franchise to have this, Zelda series has plenty of people sucking it's dick.

Yeah, it's shit. Not a real MMO, bad combat, lore is pants on head.

YOU DESERVE THIS.

Best MMO I've ever played, but it's absolute trash and makes Oblivion look good.

It is the first open world game for a lot of people and it brags about being able to do a lot of non-meaningful choice (Do whatever you want) but in reality all the choices are meaningless.
I expected at least an ending but no. It is the story of pest control killing a bunch of flying lizards and stealing everything that wasn't nailed to the floor.

>I know someone who bought the game four times

sweden is literally banning assault trucks as we speak. the world is fucking weird man.

it was great game?
commence circle-jerking

Plus it's the perfect normalfag game in that you can play for 2 hours after work, find some "cool lewt" and get that instant gratification.

It really really wasn't. Not technically, not mechanically.

we berenstein now (it never happened)

I always love how it starts off as somewhat reasonable and then just goes full on "Half-Life 3 confirmed" less than a minute in.