Holla Forums starts talking about copyright protection, systems like denuvo and piracy

Honest question, before touching the spoiler: What do you actually think piracy protection exists for?

piracy protection exists to stop other companies or black market groups making duplicates to sell themselves. This was part of the reason for the videogame crash because product quality could not be vetted or trusted. Beginning with a simple message that could only checked by a certain type of drive saying 'real' that would not be included in a dump when copies were made to embedding things in sound files these were methods to fight chinese and russian companies from lifting games and forcing the devs to suffer lost sales at best and at worst have to go to court in copyright battles to retain their ip and pray their licensing deals dont fall through meaning their business would die at a time when movie licenses were a huge deal in the early PC64000 and Famicom era . The individual consumers were always swapping and sharing files since the ability to do so on cassettes and printed BASIC code was possible. The piracy was never to stop the end user because one pirated game by one individual doesnt mean shit compared to some shell company selling bootlegs by the hundreds or later thousands and actually impacting profits and company reputation in a big way

Now before someone goes full tumblr outrage and assumes this is some defence of things like denuvo its not, point is when did it become assumed that the copyright was just some flaccid defence against individual sales losses on the end consumer point?

Is it just people to young to remember the days stores were unknowingly buying pallets of bootlegs with massive faults that drove things like 'the nintendo seal of quality' to exist to begin with?
Did these kids never go down to a market and buy a "GAME" gameboy cartridge with 250-in-1 romdumps on them?

Its kind of reminiscent of the whole deal with Nintendo shutting down fangames. Anyone who knows anything about copyright law knows they MUST do it because if they allow others to make products -for profit or not- using their intellectual property then they can lose that copyright entirely which again makes corporate level piracy a real issue. The solution there is the often mentioned "shut the fuck up, if you love your fan game release it on the downlow and circulate it, dont advertise with trailers and sites that can easily be traced back for a DCMA order" but instead its "le ebig ebuul coporashun" because people are simply ignorant of copyright law and how completely without quality control the pre crash videogame enviroment was.

Go look at steam early access. Look at its worst examples. That was all of videogames before the crash, thats why these systems are in place. Nothing will stop individuals pirating games eventually and devs dont care because you arent the people trying to steal millions in revenue and void copyright by actively fucking the market over with your one torrented game. There is a difference.

Question is why do people not know that difference is there? is the history of vidya that unknown to the younger anons?

Other urls found in this thread:

sites.lib.byu.edu/copyright/about-copyright/basics/
please
gamespoot.com/forums/nintendo-fan-club-1000001/nintendo-3ds-warning-confirms-bricking-of-system-i-28311118/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Don't care. Kill the entire industry.

I want free shit, but I want even more something that's worth paying for and someone I like to support financially for making it.

Shit like copyright shouldn't stop completely free projects by dedicated consumers and supporters that in turn generate interest.

Good read and all, but since you're willing to shit up so much in your defense, surely you can read someone attacking your ideas.
I recommend "Against intellectual property" by Stephan Kinsella, which is a actual thing and deals with things other than people infringing trademarks and gets to the actual heart of piracy which you can't actually attack, dishonest cunt

To protect their monetary investment and guarantee the predicted amount of initial profits necessary to balance/justify the budget including advertising. This root cause is also why most big publishers don't give a fuck about making genuinely good games, because they want to sell several million copies at 60 dollars a pop within release rather than creating a real fan base. Obviously this is more complex, but I'm trying to keep this short.

Ah yes, at least I truly see.

This is completely false. People who have no idea about the law take something about trademark law- which covers names like Nike or Coca-Cola, and can be lost if the term becomes generic (see "trampoline")- and pretend this applies to copyright law. It doesn't, stop repeating this lie.

Nice post, but it's pointless because you're trying to compare anti-bootleg piracy protection whose purpose was to prevent bootlegging, to modern piracy protection whose main purpose is to prevent illegal sharing.

Bootlegging is largely a thing of the past, big publishers don't have to worry about losing sales to cheap Chinese knock-offs anymore because of brand awareness and seals of quality. Chinese bootlegs being more popular than their original counterparts still happens in China and other dirtpoor countries, but then again modern publishers don't consider those markets in the first place. So what you have is big publishers intending to protect their products from lost sales through piracy protection.

All things considered 'lost sales through piracy' is a terrible meme for a variety of reasons, but one publishers still fall for. What piracy protection used to be for in the past is entirely unrelated to the current situation. While an identical bootleg situation can be applied to Steam Greenlight and the mobile games market, there are now tools to help users find the original example. Most mobile/indie developers do not have enough capital for any DRM solution or extensive marketing campaign to begin with, so their success relies more on word of mouth and popularity. It's harder to get away with clones and bootlegs on a triple-AAA market.

I doubt the climate in the video game industry as of now is bad enough from the standpoint of copyright law to really justify using copy protection for that purpose. Only games that get ripped off by chinks nowadays are big multiplayer titles like LoL, and with how video game distribution works now, it would be pretty much impossible for a Chinese ripoff of a game to make bank in the same region that a publisher is publishing and advertising their game. Sure, that's a concern, but I doubt the indie developers that use Denuvo and other forms of copy protection are as concerned with chinese ripoffs as they are with people just not paying for the game.

Holla Forums is poor I guess. I hope a few still support good games/devs.

That's stupid and you're wrong. Piracy protection doesn't just exist to stop malicious corporations, but also users, otherwise they wouldn't shut down torrents.
Nobody has ever had to go to court in a copyright battle in order to retain their IP. Copyright doesn't enter the public domain over piracy, you idiot, it only expires through time.

This is absolutely wrong and has never ever happened. No copyright has ever been lost due to a fangame, a fan film, or fanfiction. Stop making shit up. Copyirght is not a "you defend it or you lose it" situation. If you're talking about genericization, that's for trademarks, not copyright. I seriously think that this myth is perpetuated by sue-hungry lawyers to excuse excessive D&Cs and lawsuits over things that don't actually hurt brand or profit, like fangames.

See: sites.lib.byu.edu/copyright/about-copyright/basics/

I'll repeat one more time. There is no legal grounds on which shutting down fangames is legally necessary. There may be business reasons to do it, but you will never risk losing your copyright over a fangame, so stop saying this retarded shit.

user, if the game starts out being so good that even people who pirate eventually buy it, then wouldn't making a game with fun gameplay be a better incentive to promote sales than adding more anti-piracy scrips and codes?

wtf I'm gonna buy that new steam game with 10 hours of gameplay and all the DLC for only $100 now. T-thanks

We already have a thread up about piracy and it has better discussion than your shitty OP.

Snake oil

this is not what the OP was asking, learn to read

op is autism

You mean, it's not the answer you want to hear?
lel, too bad there's no "complete bullshit scam" protection, oh wait, there is, it's called piracy.

This may have been true in the past, but at this point most bootlegging takes place in third world shitholes that publishers don't bother with anyway. Denuvo exists to stop piracy via online filesharing, not bootlegs.

Reread OP's argument. He's saying the threat to sales comes not from people who don't want to pay but from low information consumers who can't tell the difference between a bootleg and a legitimate copy. Those people are willing to buy, but if bootlegs are available some portion will end up buying them. OP is wrong because bootlegs are not a serious issue anymore, but you totally failed to address his argument.

The argument from Op was: I'm a ultra faggot.
I addressed that argument by saying: kill yourself, Op.
You should also consider killing yourself.

Why are we letting a Underage post on the board?

Are vidya bootlegs still even a thing? Last time I was in Asia it had been cracked down on (films as well) and there were signs at airports warning that bootlegs would not get through customs. Third worlders have better Internet these days and just pirate online like the rest of us. I saw a lot of them just playing F2P shit in Internet cafes as well.

Seems a little redundant in today's world. There's very little danger of bootlegged versions of games making their way onto mainstream distribution platforms like Steam.

To delude shareholders that the bad sales numbers are thanks to pirates and "protection" is needed in order to sell more, since otherwise devs would have to admit that nobody wants their shit because they are shit devs and know nothing about making games.
Or at least that's how it used to be. Looking at the current generation of protection it looksl more like a desperate graps after controlling when the player can play the game, and when he has tro buy a new version of it.

wtf i love denuvo now

Games today are not worth their price.
Simple as that.

You're on a board populated by people that don't actually play videogames, they just want cheap entertainment out of mocking bad games and bad studios.
Also edgy freetards and neets that will use whatever excuse they have to justify never paying for anything.
The entire concept of "vote with your wallet" is lost on them, so this discussion is already dumb from the point it starts.

I mean it by the way, a lot of people will tell you that paying for something you like is bad if the company that made it is bad, and it doesn't take much to be considered bad around here.
(You may have seen this ideology before, where the identity of who you support matters more than what they actually do)

But on point, it's pretty clear that today DRM is used to secure the first weeks of sales. It's expected to be cracked but only when it doesn't matter anymore and this is a marketing philosophy that companies use to churn out crappy games all the time. Ubisoft might be one of the worst offenders here, where CoD, AssCreed and even Watchdogs only see the numbers they get on PC because they release with DRM.
It's not working very well for them anymore and lots of companies are taking flak for making bootleg-quality games, losing the consumer's trust, but this alone should be enough of a reason against DRM.

Oh and there's also the point that it's a matter of trust. By placing DRM in your game, you're actively saying "I don't trust the quality of my game to drive sales alone, I need something else to help" or alternatively "My game is pretty good but I don't trust you to support me after doing a good job, so here's extra security to make sure you do the right thing".
Either way, it means the Dev doesn't trust his own work or his own playerbase. If someone releases a good game that sees no sales but is pirated a lot, that's entirely on the players fault for not supporting the Dev that made the game they liked. But the moment they use DRM, they lose that argument.

There's also the fact that it fudges supply and demand. Suppose there's a game I like but I'm only willing to pay 20$ for it. It's priced at 60$ so I won't be getting it but my willingness to buy it cheaper is never taken into account, it's just assumed I have no interest in it at all. With piracy, I can play the game now, pirated numbers (if and when available) show that there's interest for the game, just not at that price and I can choose to buy it later when it's cheaper.

That's 3 points against DRM I don't see very often, you're free to argue against them, OP.

have a short answer for a wall of text:

piracy protection almost never stops pirates, a work around is found eventually.
because of that, the only people who are bothered by piracy protection are the legitimate users.

and that's why it's bad.

The goyim must not be allowed to make copies of something and share it amongst each other for free

Nice points, but OP is a (1) and done so all that really came out was a diatribe against the louder shitposters on Holla Forums. There's definitely a group that feels it's essential to demand free copies of everything, but bitching about the entire board in that way just encourages them.

To stop people from getting vidya for free.
You know I can honestly say I wasn't expecting that response.

I still believe what Gabe Newell said all those years ago: "If a pirate offers a product anywhere in the world, 24 x 7, purchasable from the convenience of your personal computer, and the legal provider says the product is region-locked, will come to your country 3 months after the US release, and can only be purchased at a brick and mortar store, then the pirate's service is more valuable".
I used to buy games on Steam a lot, but Valve kept getting greedier and greedier and more anti-consumer, you can't even start some games without Steam, now I'm a pirate again.

Second hand and dumb publishers.

There is something that was once said to me about locks when I used to work for home repossession/securing/maintenance when the housing bubble burst…
"Locks only keep honest and lazy people out."

The implication being that even the every day honest and hardworking citizen will try to get into places they know they shouldn't if a lock was in place and engaged. Actual criminals don't give a shit about a lock and will either bust it or find another way in.
You can then extrapolate this principle to any good or service. People, even the honest hardworking ones, will gravitate towards grabbing a product for free if there is little to no hassle, vs paying for the product.
With video game piracy the "hassle" just means how difficult it is to apply a "crack" or how likely they are to get caught and have to deal with consequences (generally zero percent in that regard).

in fact, your last statement really encapsulates this fact.

And you basically just said, in this last statement…

What exactly is wrong with wanting free shit?

Buycucks will never know the feeling of FREE GAMES.

Bootlegging is of no real concern anymore. Copyright cannot be "lost" from the existence of fanworks, don't be a dumbass. DRM exists to provide the initial two weeks after the game was released (almost all sales are typically made during this period for AAA titles, excluding a few rare cases like the TR reboot) a "piracy free" period where normalfag idiots who bought into the hype will pay $80 to try the shitty game that paid off games journalists assured was a 11/10.

It's not the 80s anymore grandpa. Things aren't like they were back then.

It shows.

People are dumber and cattier than ever now. I miss when in the eighties, people were afraid of being thought of as stupid. Now they fucking embrace it.

Do you really believe that Uplay, Steam, Origin and Denuvo are all methods of which to stop other companies stealing games?

WHO IS THIS V
WHO IS THIS V
WHO IS THIS V
WHO IS THIS V
WHO IS THIS V
WHO IS THIS V
WHO IS THIS V
WHO IS THIS V
WHO IS THIS V
WHO IS THIS V
WHO IS THIS V
WHO IS THIS V
WHO IS THIS V
WHO IS THIS V
WHO IS THIS V
WHO IS THIS V
WHO IS THIS V
WHO IS THIS V
WHO IS THIS V
WHO IS THIS V
WHO IS THIS V
WHO IS THIS V
WHO IS THIS V
WHO IS THIS V
WHO IS THIS V
WHO IS THIS V
WHO IS THIS V
WHO IS THIS V
WHO IS THIS V
WHO IS THIS V
WHO IS THIS V
WHO IS THIS V
WHO IS THIS V
WHO IS THIS V
WHO IS THIS V
WHO IS THIS V
WHO IS THIS V
WHO IS THIS V
WHO IS THIS V
WHO IS THIS V
WHO IS THIS V
WHO IS THIS V
WHO IS THIS V
WHO IS THIS V
WHO IS THIS V
WHO IS THIS V
WHO IS THIS V
WHO IS THIS V
WHO IS THIS V
WHO IS THIS V
WHO IS THIS V
WHO IS THIS V
WHO IS THIS V
WHO IS THIS V
WHO IS THIS V
WHO IS THIS V
WHO IS THIS V
WHO IS THIS V
WHO IS THIS V
WHO IS THIS V
WHO IS THIS V
WHO IS THIS V
WHO IS THIS V
WHO IS THIS V
WHO IS THIS V
WHO IS THIS V
WHO IS THIS V
WHO IS THIS V
WHO IS THIS V
WHO IS THIS V
WHO IS THIS V
WHO IS THIS V
WHO IS THIS V
WHO IS THIS V
WHO IS THIS V
WHO IS THIS V
WHO IS THIS V
WHO IS THIS V
WHO IS THIS V
WHO IS THIS V
WHO IS THIS V
WHO IS THIS V
WHO IS THIS V
WHO IS THIS V
WHO IS THIS V
WHO IS THIS V
WHO IS THIS V
WHO IS THIS V
WHO IS THIS V
WHO IS THIS V
WHO IS THIS V
WHO IS THIS V
WHO IS THIS V
WHO IS THIS V
WHO IS THIS V
WHO IS THIS V
WHO IS THIS V
WHO IS THIS V
WHO IS THIS V
WHO IS THIS V
WHO IS THIS V
WHO IS THIS V
WHO IS THIS V
WHO IS THIS V
WHO IS THIS V

If you're talking about DRM, it exists because the publishers that use it don't know how you deal with pirates.

Do you know why steam manages to be the de facto pc platform despite arguably being a drm client?
It's because with steam sales customers can buy the things they want at a price they are more willing to pay.
Just last week I bought Brigador because I pirated it, figured "I'd buy this for 15 bucks," then it went on sale for 15 bucks.

TL;DR DRM is a tool used by incompetent publishers to cover up the fact they can't into capitalism.

We simply couldn't pirate as easily back then.
Now we can vote with our wallet without having to suffer days upon days of boredom.
It's not that the market got worse: the costumers got smarter.

Modern DRM is about control and the monetisation of cheats. It has little to do with piracy which are not lost sales.

I was on hitmanforum the other day and a someone was being treated like he fucked a baby just for asking for a save-game share. Save sharing would mean he gets things without grinding them. Companies don't want that anymore even if grinding has no direct connection to the business model like it does with F2P model. And players disrespect it because they feel like he gets something easy that they worked for… even if it's just a video game that he payed for fairly like they did.

i don't get how its monetization of cheats since you can easily find a 100% save file of nuhitman and you had some dumbasses on a forum trying to act elitist like every forum ever and there's nothing you can buy to unlock everything without playing

This statement is only in regards to PC games.

I've never had any negative experience with piracy countermeasures in the games I play because I primarily play only Nintendo games on Nintendo consoles.

It's not direct monetisation. It's to pull the user into investing lots of time and energy into the game so they feel more compelled to buy more episodes or DLC. If they can skip everything, get all the suits and items then they're more likely to play the game for a bit then throw it away. Definitely not what an episodic or DLC game wants. Most denuvo games seem to be like this. Look at MGSV, Deus Ex.

That only works with cracked version of the game. Proving my point that DRM is to prevent that kind of stuff.

Modern consoles are practically the physical manifestation of DRM. On PC, DRM may prevent a certain amount of activations or whatever, but it's not there to stop you from running the game though a VM, on a different version of windows or in something like WINE (although Doom couldn't be wine'd because of denuvo but it doesn't seem like that was the goal)

On console you literally have to buy certain hardware to run the game and go through limited outlets to get your games. There's close to no other way than through he company directly if you want to buy digital, too. Compare that even with the most DRM'd PC games on the market… you can still play them on a mix of windows 7-8-10, virtual machine'd and buy the keys from various competing digital stores. You can still buy games that are really old and both practically and legally play them on modern hardware.

Imagine having to buy a certain piece of hardware for your PC to play a game by X company for no real technical reason, only for licensing and business reasons.

And then you have to account for how restrictive a console is. You can't modify anything about it without possibly bricking it or heading into legal grey areas. People often lambast digital PC games because you don't 'own' them and they could be taken away at any time. Although this is somewhat true it's even truer for consoles in which the companies are in a much more realistic position to outright brick your console at the push of a button, revoke access to all your games or turn off any part of the console they want. PS3 OS feature, never forget.

When someone decided to manufacture a problem and sell a cure for it. The internet killed the commercial pirate outside of China, so people who were paid to solve the piracy problem needed an excuse to stay in business.

Opinion discarded.

As long as we allow consoleplebs in there, Holla Forums will never be able to hold a competent discussion about anything.

Jews could learn a thing or two about mental gymnastics from your post alone.

Steam is more harmful than consoles tbhq fam

Go fuck yourself

Of course, there are no examples to provide of a company intentionally bricking a console belonging to any consumer for any reason. Sure, there have been incidences where individuals had their consoles banned from an online client for hacking or cheating, but they could still utilize their physical console to play physical software bought at the store. After all, you have to sign terms of agreement when you utilize their online features, and you're screwed if you break them.

As for the PS3 Other OS feature, I could wax on about a lot of things regarding that feature, but in the end, who gives a shit? Who among us bought a PS3 solely or in part to run fucking Linux? Who the fuck would have wanted to spend $600 to run a shitty OS?

Near-next to nobody, that's who. The only people who missed it and drove it to courts were your Richard Stallman-cocksucking turbonerds who demand for everything relating to computing be free for ownership and control, and anything short of that is tantamount to oppression.

It's morally imperative that console developers have complete and total control over how their products are meant to be utilized and enjoyed. If you wouldn't rip that own right for yourself, why would you rip that right from some other company? Computer software shouldn't be some sort of egalitarian utopia where people are free to do what they wish. If you want that sort of control, create your own damn hardware or software.

it works with the legit version too proving my point you're a chicken little idiot. look at every neptunia game for that investing time and energy shit. this isn't limited to copy protected games

You do realize that DRM gets stripped within hours of release and you're basically arguing that paying customers should get a shittier experience than "pirates", right?

doesnt happen all that often, honestly.

you make people want to play it, making a fun game is but one way of doing this. quit feigning naivety. and the other reason anti piracy exists is because its a product. money is being traded around and the people pushing for anti piracy software probably have a lot of shares in it.

I do believe removing the Other OS was stupid but you have to face the facts.

In 2009 , before they announced the removal of Other OS, Sony held a contest, that in as few words possible, simply asked people to show what they could do with Other OS to determine it's survivablity. There were only 5 entrants to the contest and the contest was silently killed. Then when the announcment that Other OS was being killed came? Everyone flipped the fuck out like they weren't told a year a go they were getting rid of it.

There's still articles on Sankuku Complex and on the PSN Blog. Gaming sites like Cocktaku? Did not give a shit.

Nobody cared about Other OS, except for Pirates who thought it would be used to hack the system ( it wasn't something else was used) and the Heroes who ran @Home. But it's such a "huge" issue when complaining about Sony.

Kill yourself, OP.

You do know that books contain a lot more than just 49 words, right?

People not giving a fuck about some Sony 'contest'. This is a surprise to you? The kind of users who install other OS probably don't have much crossover with those who enter stupid data-mining attempt. "People just used it for pirating anyway" is the attitude that will be the end of user control. Fuck that noise.

"Please understand." The fact is Sony don't give a fuck about user control and realized that most of their retarded fanbase don't either and would accept a dildo up their ass if they said it was "Free" with a subscription.

Wow

Not getting fucked in the ass =/= utopia. You're writing like one of those pro-DRM, anti-FOSS fluff pieces you see posted a dozen times a week where better = unrealistic.

Reel it back there lad. We're talking about video games. I'll buy DRM-free games and avoid shitty business practices.

Go ahead and prove it by giving me this save. If it doesn't work without cracking the game or getting banned or de-sycned from the game's always-online requirement for accessing content then you can piss off. I'll post screenshots & webms of the save working. I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

They're RPGs they've always been like that. How stupid can you get?

dat backlog doe

that's not that much

Which they price at uber-low prices to make it affordable to their clientèle. For instance, when a AAA game gets priced at $60, these companies get the games for free (barring bandwidth costs) and distribute them via DVDs that have a 4.2 GB size limit. They price the game on the size of the installer (handily ignoring the repacks in favor of the scene releases). Each DVD is priced something like 60 cents, so an average release costs $1.20 USD - but not always. For instance, Max Payne 3's scene release wound up taking 7 CDs, and that put many people off who preferred to wait and DL it themselves, or borrow a copy off a friend.

Thus, the companies have set up their own price scheme which the consumers find livable. If this shit disappeared, do you honestly think the people who barely pay 2 bucks for a game would suddenly pay 30 times the price? The companies you claim that piracy is fighting, the actual publishers would never be able to exploit due to differences in income level and the exchange rate hit.

TL;DR Your position is an asinine excuse for 'logic.'

took me a while to get it

No matter how beautiful ethic pirating may sound. I am sure at least 90% of people that pirate just pirate for free shit like me, i wonder how many of them are hypocrites trying to justify themselves behind the ethics guys at least i dont hide it. Pretty sure shit like denuvo is a necessary evil as much as you niggers get riled up by it.

Denuvo would of existed even if pirating never happened

You should of kill thyselfeth.

Retards.

Tell me what I did wrong
:^)

Be born.

what are you to say about the wews that who jewed into 1465 back when i waz kangz

I only really pirate stuff I would never buy in the first place and the stuff I like but don't think would be worth full price I wait for specials. That being said I would've bought automata if it didn't have denuvo.

go back to cuckchan and stay there

So in other words you'd never have gone near the game if it wasn't free… meaning it's not a lost sale and by adding DRM they've not prevented you from pirating or made you into a customer. Also nice job with the 90% figure you pulled out of your ass. The only thing we know about pirating is that it comes mostly from countries with shit economies. Beyond this, the numbers are pretty fucking unreliable. But Denuvo use made-up ones all the time in their sales pitches.

You might as well ask how many of them are trolls. You'll never know. But most people who pirate to benchmark/whatever and then purchase later are pretty dedicated to changing the industry with their wallet. Those who don't give a shit probably don't talk about it and if they do it's unlikely they try to justify it because they don't give a shit.

You're posting anonymously about it. You're in no way being brave or admirable. Why don't you go ahead and reveal your identity to the company whose products you pirate and wait for legal action. See how honest you are about not hiding it.

Necessary in what way? It hasn't prevented piracy. Denuvo Software Solutions GmbH could vanish overnight and it wouldn't affect a single thing in the industry. So we can safely dismiss the necessary part.

Yeah, but denuvo is shit for other reasons. There's a right way to do anti piracy and a wrong way to do anti piracy.
Signing over your source code to a third party company that will try to sue you (the actual publisher/developer) for removing their drm is not the right way to do anti piracy.

Let's not get too crazy here

oh my goodddd

No, it's because I've gotten buyers remorse too often. Pre-ordered Civ V, like a simp, and to this day I've played around 40 hours.

If it's a company I like and a game I like I'll make sure to buy it at full price.

I haven't pirated anything in years and I never will again partially because I'm afraid of getting caught and partially because I can't seed any torrents and don't want to be a leecher.

Nevertheless, I don't care if piracy hurts the bottom lines of companies in media industries because they're complicit in child sex trafficking (pedowood) and musicians don't make a lot of profit from record sales anyway, it goes to their middlemen (the real money is in licensing their music as commercial jingles and live concerts).

The video game crash of the 80's is radically overhyped. _Consoles_ suffered, PC's were chugging along just fine.

I think some niggas keep forgetting another important detail.

Piracy protection is a product sold to game companies and licensed/pimped out to generate revenue for the people who make piracy protection.

Of COURSE They are going to play up piracy to do so and astroturf figures and make boogieman articles from the mouths and keyboards of shills.

They have to convince people with deep pockets to shit up their own product- They are fundamentally selling the digital version of a rock that keeps tigers away. Only the rock randomly flies off your counter and breaks your shit- And the rock is always connected to the internet and may or may not have a camera and a microphone in it.

Even though piracy hasn't been a tangible harm to any game's sales even in the era where you could copy something to a diskette and hand it to your friend.

Piracy didn't ever kill a console either- You might go "But dreamcast-" Dreamcast died due to poor adoption rates, a lack of brand trust from Sega dropping 3 turds in a row previously. (32x, CD, Saturn even though it also had good games) and suffered from the localization snafu carryover from the saturn era and the piss poor incompetence of Sega's NA division.

Piracy is the perfect grimy fuck's scapegoat. Do badly because we marketed like shit and did bad business or released a bad product? PIRACY DUN IT!

No one's buying our serial launched yearly title in record numbers anymore? PIRACY!

MEAN OLD PIRATES KILLED ALL THE THINGS YOU LOVE! Not buy outs, aggressive cash ins, cutting branches of companies you absorb out of the picture in order to crank out more boardroom born excrement. NOPE- PIRATES!

TL;DR OP is a retard.

I have nothing to add to the topic at hand so I won't try to butt in it, but I will interject on your first point.

Nintendo will literally brick your 3DS if you install any custom firmware on it and has a nasty habit of doing so. It's even in their TOS that they retain the right to disable your device if you use any sort of software modification on it.

please use archive.is/forums/nintendo-fan-club-1000001/nintendo-3ds-warning-confirms-bricking-of-system-i-28311118/

The dreamcast died due to a combination of those things. It also died because it couldn't compete with the PS2, which had a built in DVD player and a number of other features the Dreamcast did not, which makes it a superior choice to most consumers.

Piracy, technically speaking, didn't kill the dreamcast per se, but it did have a hand in it. After the console got hacked I'd imagine investors didn't give too much of a shit.

Fuck off with your niGGer bullshit Mark.

gamespoot.com/forums/nintendo-fan-club-1000001/nintendo-3ds-warning-confirms-bricking-of-system-i-28311118/

Hey,people read the communist manifesto.And it's got oppressed or a synonym like there's no tomorrow.
t. Shitposted on SS13 the WHOLE FIRST CHAPTER while wearing BSDM clothes(fuck you sierra,removing that is ain't gonna make you less gay)

What server?

Thank you OP, that was a nice read

CheesePizzastation.
It's dead don't bother reviving it.

I don't really give a shit, I just want free games. I live in a country where the average monthly wage is ~400$ yet I get charged the same prices as people in germany who earn 4000$ a month. Developers can't seriously expect me to spend 60$ on a fucking video game.

The implication that before denuvo people were rampantly selling duplicates is laughable. It does happen in china but the reasons for it are political there and no denuvo would stop them if they wanted to duplicate a game.

it's getting even more expensive now that they're getting wise to people who want to wait until the complete editions are released. Instead of dropping the price, they force you to invest from release date by purchasing a season pass, which is going to be more than 60.00 dollars, and they keep the price on the "complete edition" high. Then they only drop the price on the base game and keep the DLC at base price, so no matter what you're gonna be paying more than 30 fucking dollars if you want the full experience. It's pretty bullshit.

DRM is the same in all industries and is mostly cartel shit that exists to consolidate the means of production in the hands of a few rich porkies. No, you can't just make something and sell it, you need a royalty agreement with our studio and distributors. Now pay up.

Which is why you should pirate the ever loving fuck out of everything. Porky never passes the savings along, only squeezes you for every nickel. Only when services started having to compete with "absolutely free" did we see any improvements in consumer experience, and lo and behold, they're still making a fucking fortune.

Piracy is not about sales, it's about marketing. Consider your typical "gamer" who will pre-order the new Fallout or Call of Duty. They will say great things about the game, because they like the game enough to spend $60+ on something they don't know about, other than the game, which they think will be good. In short, they're fanboys, they'll say great things about it on the internet and to their friends.

Meanwhile, look at typical pirate. They don't care. If they download a game and it sucks, they don't have to think they spent $60 on a game and it sucks, so they try and like it. They say it sucks and move on to the next game they pirated. Then they tell people the game sucks and not to buy it.

It's a marketing thing. It's why they only care if the game isn't cracked in the first few weeks. They want the people who are fans of the game and who spent money on it to go around the internet saying it's great. They don't want people who thought they'd just try it randomly because they found a torrent and then think the game sucks.

In short, modern piracy is a "safe space" for marketing, where publishers can make sure no mean things are said by people who weren't looking forward to their game.

Which is why you'll always see these publishers crying about piracy have their game sales completely fall off a cliff after a week or so. They're usually shit games that they're trying to push. Pay off the corrupt game media to tell everyone it's good, only give the game to people who are fans of your game before it was even released. Keep the game away from the hands of people who don't give a shit about it or will be honest about it, or not even like it.

That's all it is. Plain and simple, it's a means to get honest discussion and review away from gamers that will say a shitty game is shitty, and to make sure shill media and retarded fanboys say nothing but great things about it.

Then after a few weeks, you get your big wave of sales, people realize the game sucks, and you've made a nice profit.

People who pirate games are the most honest about them. And major publishers turning out shitty games don't want those people talking about their game.

And they're not concerned about knock offs, they're going to exist because of pajeets and chinks, and all the copy protection and laws won't stop them.

Either extreme is too much. No protection and you have to actually compete and make the best product, or too much and you create literal monopolies that rule over the fucking country.

Oh wait, I was wrong, it's just the too much copyright protection bit, not the lack.

Get rid of it.

Incorrect. You cannot unwillingly lose a copyright beyond the work transitioning into the public domain due to age (i.e. never ever. What is it now, author lifetime + 100 years). You are confusing copyright with trademark. This poor understanding of the law you are refering to reflects badly on your argument and it would do you good to educate yourself on the subject before speaking. 'Intellectual property' is not a term that has a legal definition, it is a layman's blanket term for a group of wildly different legal subjects, including trademark, copyright and patent law. You should refrain from using this term as it only causes confusion, as is evident.

It exists to prevent people from trying a product before they buy it. Publishers are kvetching about piracy because it allows people to make educated decisions and thus exposes to them just how much of a shitshow the industry truly is. It's the same issue the music industry has.

(1) an done OP as expected