Unexpectedly good games

Lets have a thread about games that are fucking anomolies. Case in point

SO MUCH could've gone horribly wrong with this game and its developed by one of the shittiest devs around, yet it didn't Aside from multiplayer being full of hackers because Techland thought having anti-cheat being "opt-in" was a good idea

No, Dying Light is not good. It's barely better than Dead Island. That doesn't mean it's good, good. It's passable.

Its not underrated it flat out shouldn't have happened

Please use the catalog if you want to talk about shitty games please.

Let me explain it to you like the fucking retard you seem to be. Underrated implies a game isnt critically acclaimed or it doesnt get the attention it deserves. This is a thread about games that by all rights should've turned out badly but didn't.

Does the gog version still require you to use Galaxy?

The fact that its another zombie game always kept me from getting around to it.
How does respawning in co-op mode work?

3 was pretty shit doe

You just respawn at a safehouse like you do in singleplayer, unless you are being invaded by a Night Hunter, then you have only 10 respawns that are shared between everyone

Don't lie

after DMC2 I could understand doubt about a sequel

Do you lose anything when you die though or is the only punishment having to run back to where you were.

Check the dl gog forums there is a thread about how to get around it.

Its even crazier that it not only happened, but got a Special Edition after it sold like shit because of DMC2

just checked the store page, said "no internet connection required"
I sure fuckin hope so, is it in the may 16th dump?

In normal mode you lose survivor experience at a
seemingly random rate until you max it out and start gaining Legendary points instead. However, you can lose Legendary points in Hard and Nightmare mode

Dying light looked far too similar to dead island for me to even entertain playing. Wonder if dead island 2 will remain vaporware since the publisher/dev spat a year or so ago. Hopefully it does since dead island is generic garbage.>>12307206

I thought Techland was quite alright. They made Call of Juarez: Gunslinger.

I'm pretty sure there was something about the cancellation of dead island 2. Whatever the reason, for the better. Can't kill a franchise further than being dead in the first place.

God damn it your right. What is it with Techland either making REALLY good or really shit games?

They did make the other games in said series, including The Cartel. And they're polish, that might explain something.

Either its publishers or they rush it like crazy.

Seconding this.

Probably these. Dead Island felt like a rushed, incoherent mess and The Cartel is obvious corporate meddling.
I think if they're allowed to they can make good games. I really want to see them make a Juarez game with an actual budget.

The game's pretty shit. Not as shit as some other games, but it's sure as hell not as good as you're making it out to seem.

Why the fuck would you want to play this with strangers anyway?

I wanted to buy this cause it had co-op.
I played dead island that way and it honestly was a lot of fun.
Would you recommend it?

I had a good time playing it co-op with 2 bros. I wouldn't recommend it above other games but it can be a lot of fun if you enjoy grappling hooks and kickings and generally breaking the game over your knee.

It can be used a total of 2 times in quick sucession only. And if you do so instead of waiting for the first use to cool down, you'll be out of grappling hook for a long while.
It's a "get me the fuck outta here" tool, not a way to completely bypass the Parkour in the game. You can't spam it at will, you'll be saving the hook for tricky climbs or fast escapes only and even then you'll use it twice only if it's a very desperate situation.

Weapons also break quite easily, you're meant to burn through them a lot, not compare what you have with what you found, not to mention how retarded that is, just check the damage value and use whatever you like.
Two handed weapons are still quite usefull to kill hordes or big guys.

Holy shit I was just thinking about that Dark Messiah vid. One of the Legendary skills is increasing unarmed damage so I unequiped all my weapons and have just be going around killing enemies with Martial Arts

The grappling hook can be used for five consecutive uses once you max the survivor tree, which I managed to do before I even made it to the second map. Even if it has two uses to begin with, the recharge time is about ten seconds, which is a small price to pay to
completely cheese climbing puzzles. I also forgot to mention that grappling the ground while falling negates fall damage.

The damage floor for weapons gets raised every time one of the trees levels, and later in the game, that gets to around 100+. If i'm going to waste materials and stat boosters on a weapon, I want to make sure i'm not using the best ones I have on something that just got outclassed. For killing hordes, swinging for heads a few times with a one-handed weapon usually works better than having two slow swings before I have to fuck off because my stamina ran out, and even if you do get unlimited stamina, one-handed weapons will one-shot enemies at that point anyway. Larger enemies can be easily killed with two to three shotgun shots. While it's annoying to deal with three fast zombies, it's quicker and easier than smacking at a damage sponge that stuns you on hit.

2 is pretty good.

You're not allowed to use it during most of the parkour challenges

Donald Duck games are top tier, all of them. They should be archived in the library of congress or something. I wish I had that image of heuy duey and louis arguing with donald over games and the two brothers snap at the third for him saying sarcastically that the only good donald game was KH2.1

We played most other pc games (except old rpgs because fuck setting up the servers with hamachi).
Now we moved on PS3 and are playing Demon's Souls.

agreed

Binary domain is better than I thought it'd be, for a third person cover shooter. Not great, but it's fun blasting robots to bits, and there's an ok party trust type mechanic tossed in there. Decent overall.

I was referring to some sewer/underground sections and radio towers. Some sections theoretically should be able to be cheesed, but instead of giving a good explanation as to why you can't use the grappling hook, the game just tells you "you're exhausted", which doesn't apply to fighting dozens of zombies with a machete, apparently.

Use Evolve instead. Its got some goddamned bloat but it works

Ah, I played it a long time ago without the legendary skill tree so I only had two uses. And 10 seconds of cooldown is a lot when you're being chased by those guys that hunt you at night later on.

Still, you do spend a lot of the game without the hook and by the time you get it, you're already very familiar with the parkour mechanics and where to go. The hook really doesn't make it that much easier compared with what you can do at that point, it's more of an annoyance removal like unlocking fast travel after visiting a location.

Ah, so it's a flat boost instead of a multiplayer to the base damage, that'd screw 2-handed weapons alright. Still I don't recall what abilities you got from the combat tree but there were some for 2handed weapons that made them somewhat usefull.

The Donald Duck game was fucking great.

Dying Light becomes a good game once you unlock the grappling hook.
The DLC side story (The Following) is pretty good but the leveling system is a pain in the ass.

Second this.
I thought it's gonna be absolute dogshit and pirated it solely for robots.
Game turned out to be fucking gold.

Be The Zombie mode/ Zombie hunter invasions. Though they both fucking suck. Being the zombie is basically either a steamroll becuase the survivor has no idea what they are doing or another sided steamroll becuase the survivor is a hacking level 250 who can interrupt pounces even when you get them from behind. Being invaded sucks ass as well becuase 90% of the time the hunter just camps until you decide to move at which point he'll make a move and its like completely random whether or not the UV light will actually break his pounce

dying light has the worst story from any game ever. its pure cringe every cut scene

Not to mention the character you play.

It's too bad, I liked the game play and graphics. But I never gave a shit about a single thing

i remember getting this and thinking it was gonna be absolute garbage, but it turned out to be pretty fun with friends, everyone wanted to be puss

(Checked)

Trips don't lie.

It has the same flawed mechanic that Dead Island tried to make the zombies more challenging, by making the players weapons break like twigs, do very little damage and the zombies take forever to be killed. Player moves like syrup too.

I get the idea. The "fast zombies" of L4D lost their zombie-ness, which made that game revolve around the special infected to create dynamics.

However, syrup man with weapons that breaks from nothing against super strong zombies is not the way to go. It's just the other extreme.

The bottom line is this: zombies have been done to death, and there are limits to how much different gameplay you can squeeze out of them. People are sick of zombies now and it's time to move on.

The gameplay is boring repetitive shit too and the last boss is a 3 button qte.

I expected the most generic and badly designed shit ever and only got half of that. It's surprisingly fun to fuck with the ability and art block systems to kill bosses in a single hit.

Yu-no is probably the most bat shit crazy game/vn I ever played. I was expecting some sort of high-school romance vn, but ended up getting taken on a high fantasy cross dimensional incest filled time traveling adventure for the ages. On top of it having an amazing score by Ryu Umemoto. Having to cannibalize the dragon girl in the desert and what happened to Sayless tore me up emotionally in a way that no video game, book, or movie ever did.

3rd for this

Was going to post this. It had no business being as good as it was. I love how they just embraced how cheesy it was instead of trying to do something serious, it was so entertaining.

Dead Island wasn't a pile of shit.
Dying Light isn't good.

A lot of aspects of Dead Island was "good enough".
Dying light is the same but better, it's reach the point were it's almost good.

Techland in itself is the anomaly, they make games that are extremely divisive. Their games are never "bland", they always kind of overreach, more often than not they don't really pull it off, but if they continue like that one of these days they will make a masterpiece, because the fact is they're probably the only company that's actually progressing, and make better and better games every-time.

Also the main story are better in those games than in 90% of vidya, you don't like them because they end exactly like a zombie apocalypse game should end.

YOU'RE INFECTED YOU MORON, YOU ESCAPING MEANS SPREADING THE PLAGUE

pull the dicks out your eyes OP you flaming faggot, so much did go horribly wrong with this turd. yeah it looks and runs ok and got a linux port plus the pricing is more reasonable than other open world rpglite cinematic lowest common denominator genre games but its just as bad as DI if not worse and you are a retarded shill. been a while since you made this shit thread chaim. how about you fuckwit poles fix your fucking game before getting the shill squads into action?

Are you blind or just plain stupid?

Fucking hell, this movie-game did so many things right.

I was hyped as a kid for this but eventually the buzz faded away as I got CS on the PC, don't tell me it was good….

(checked)
The possibility for Techland to make a masterpiece was erased when they came under the purview of Deep Silver, who could easily be considered Little EA.

its ubisoft, of course its good

protip: poorfags will blindly hate any game that doesnt run on their calculators

It was really good.

So I decided to look this up on your guys' recommendations, and there's three seperate versions of Donald Duck Goin Quackers. If I wanted to get it, which version should I get?

I was so bored of this game I couldn't even keep my eyes focused
It's impressive how they design all that shit and I still couldn't care less about anything that was going or the characters or anything
even the "intense" chases with the night zombies were dull

The biggest issue with the game are the bugs and shitty servers, but I'm still enjoying the game even a year afterwards.

I liked Resident Evil 7.
I thought the last two entries were complete trash. I never bothered to play through them more than once were as every other RE game I have played through at least twice.
I like RE games, I like the inventory management, the survival aspects you have to know when to flee and when to fight, I also like piecing together lore by reading items throughtout the game.
RE7 managed to bring that back, its a step in the right direction, hopefully the go back to a more zombie based game in their next entry.

Okay let's get this over with
>THAT FUCKING FINAL BOSS FIGHT WITH RAIS

Mad cuz bad?

Well you can play Terrorist Hunt alone too. But it's fucking boring. You can have your custom game on LAN too if that's what you want.

Yeah Im still fucking pissed off about that. Especially with the leadup where you run through the volatile nest with like a million zombies chasing you and then climbing up a skyscraper being fucking fantastic

I liked almost everything about RE7 minus how scripted it was and how bland the enemies were.

Pic related was surprisingly decent for what it was. It's basically what I've wanted out of Assassin's Creed, that being, lots of planning my approach before going in for the kill. It also offered a nice helping of being able to manipulate the orcs into killing each other for you, which was nice.

The game is much, much, too easy however. The most fun you can have with the combat and shit is right at the start of the game, halfway through and you steamroll everything. Devs are apparently adding a super hard mode to the next game so hopefully that helps out a little bit.

It kind of reminds me of Sleeping Dogs. It doesn't really do anything original, sans the Nemesis system, but it executes everything it does do well enough for me to not really care.

It's not perfect, mind, I had fun with it but it definitely wasn't deserving of Game of the Year or anything retarded like that.

Though that doesn't bother me as much as it does some others, I really love the lore but it's not like this shit is actually canon anyway.

Why is this a thing that always happens? Why do devs think a prolonged QTE sequence is the way to do a final bossfight? Even a generic dude with some extra health is better than literally nothing.

The more I think about it, I think that might've been all they could think of for him. He's not exactly a fighter like Tahir was and he was missing a hand. Still, I think a bit more parkouring with Crane chasing down a helicopter might've been a better "Boss fight" than what we got.

are there any other games with blowing robots to bits? I really liked that part

I dislike anime and VNs but my roomate kept trying to get me to play it so eventually when they made a ganoo slash linux port I gave it a go. I thought my suspicions had been confirmed for the first hour but it became pretty entertaining once someone got murdered and the soundtrack is top tier. It may be gay weaboo anime garbage but it's my favorite gay weaboo anime garbage there is.

I'm aware
I'm aware
I'm aware

I don't like the game but being multiplayer only doesn't prevent a game from being good, if Quake 3 Arena didn't have bots it'd still be a fantastic game.

Multiplayer only, always online.
It's shite.

Same, my biggest gripe was that there really wasn't enough content on release to justify the price. By the end of the year when all the DLC is out and it's 30 or so dollars on sale I'll definitely pick it up.

I TAKE IT BACK I JUST FINISHED THE FOLLOWING AND HOLY FUCK THE ENDINGS REDEEM IT

I played it with a friend. We spent the entire game complaining about how it was pretty much shit in every way, and yet it was still probably the most fun coop game I have played in years.

I'm a massive anime fan and I fucking hate Danganronpa. I hate how popular it is. It doesn't deserve to be popular at all. The art style is atrocious. The characters are shit. The plot is shit and they give away the twist almost quarter way in and completely ruin it. I don't see what everyone sees in Danganronpa; it fucking sucks.

I'm a huge shit-gobbling, weeaboo faggot and you have even worse taste than me. Think about that.

But the art style is great, the characters are great, and the plot is great.

I can't let that one slide. Can't comment on the games having never played them, but I'm a fan of the visual style.

The biggest issue with it is Uplay

I expected a generic 2012 console shooter and I got a 2001 console shooter instead.

Its probably nostalgia, but I like this. One of the best movie games.

You just played it wrong way user, but i admit that jungle level was shit

Techland main income was always budget games and translations for polish market, they never even tried making good games because it was not their focus
Dead Island getting shitload of popularity was a big surprise for the whole company

Maybe you just have shit taste in anime

Could be more consistent but it looks pretty solid, a lot better than most homogenous generic anime garbage. The stylized UI and 2.5D elements help a lot
The overall story about it taking place during the end of the world sucks but the murders are generally great, though they aren't without plot holes.
SORE WA CHIGA ZO

The things about DR that everyone but you finds so appealing are:
Noone plays these games for the overall plot and certainly not for gameplay. It'd be 10x better if they dropped the whole despair thing and just made it take place in a fucked up Japanese game show (which would be recurring to set up sequels). Also the sequel had better murders (especially chapter 5) but while Nagito Komaeda is easily the best character in the series, overall the DR1 characters were better and the island setting sucked.

You're just wrong.

Dude fuck that part, I had almost no weapons or health on me when that fight happened.

Daily reminder that Rais did nothing wrong.

Fuck Rais

Rais did everything wrong