Saturday Night Horror Thread

Anuu, spookie dookie!

>And why the fuck is there still no no good R34 of DreadOut?

Other urls found in this thread:

comic.naver.com/webtoon/detail.nhn?titleId=350217&no=31
creepypasta.wikia.com/wiki/NES_Godzilla_Creepypasta
nippon1.jp/consumer/new_title_170407/
mediafire.com/file/dp574snf0jfe2py/Ikenie no Yoru Translations.zip
mediafire.com/file/4dudmb3muxi03bw/data.bin
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

And don't forget to eat your soup.

this won't do.

are there any good free horror games out there?

You can pirate a lot of older stuff.
I suggest penumbra : Black plague, just don't use a walkthrough, that removes the tension.

Is System Shock supposed to be a horror game or rpg?

I forgot to cancel my humble monthly subscription so now I have Layers of Fear and its DLC.
Is it good? Pls no spoileroni

Depends on if it scares you.

Shodan is genuinely creepy put it doesnt spook me as well as REmake.

I have Silent Hill 3 and 4 left to go, so I'm playing the crappier ones like Homecoming just to stall a little longer. I dont want to run out of survival horror franchises. ;_;

SH3 has new stuff in NG+ so you'll have to play it twice to experience everything.

How about a short horror comic?

comic.naver.com/webtoon/detail.nhn?titleId=350217&no=31

W-what's wrong with Meido? Why is there only half of her?

>>>/2hu/47815

Fuck with space-time enough and space-time will fuck you right back. And boy, it doesn't use lube.

But seriously, it's just edgy fanart.

Did we ever figure out what this was? Acting I'm assuming.

Oh so Sakuya just fucked up, I see.

It just screams performance art to me. ARG at most.

Homecoming is just not worth it, man. Get through that shit quick if you have to and into 3 as soon as you can, such a beautiful game.
I still have SH4 pending, need to get that good ending.

It's hard to make a good snuff film to make you feel uncomfortable without gore/death in it these days.

Man I love this game

Are there any good co-op horror games on PC?

FEAR 3 :^)

Killing Floor, No More Room in Hell, Cry of Fear, Obscure, there are more probably but the game stops being spooky when you play with other people.

What's the secret, anons?

FUCK YOU, NOT AGAIN

I knew it was coming and i still almost jumped out of my chair.

What games?

It's because you're used to being in control of your scrolling along with the sudden use of noise. That's 90% of the reason it's scary. The spooky face or story is mostly irrelevant as long as it's scary.

I KNEW IT

I think it's able to be done, the problem is that the games with coop usually aren't designed around it and it's usually just show horned in

Resident Evil, Silent hill
I play at hard difficulties also but the curve shouldn't be so steep

Someone stole that costume from a group that does kids shows and then sent them this weird video. Probably just a prank.

the difficulties in those games amount to item management and controls mastery

know what else was a prank? skinwalkers

Never heard of.

exactly

I actually hear there was one Call of Cthulhu game that was being worked on that played like RE4 but with sanity effects where you needed to hug your companion to regain sanity according to some screencap, something like that sounds genuinely interesting like how Dead Space 3 was originally meant to be.

this game?

nevermind that video it's not even the trailer

No, though I am genuinely interested in playing that. It was meant to be a game for the last gen of consoles or something.

fucking trash

got ya

It's pretty minimally scary as the game doesn't often present you with any actual danger (but when it does I suppose it is). Almost toes the line between horror and actual artistic walking simulator. I think there's multiple paths and endings but I've only played it once. The RE (or was it silent hill?) demo made by kojima and del toro seems like the direct inspiration for it.

I played the first version of it so I don't know about the final release, but it's a walking simulator done right. You know the tendency of horror games to read your camera to prepare some tricks where you're not looking ? Layers of fear mastered that. It can boast having a jump scare that doesn't move or make a sound in any way, it's just a really well-placed image. In terms of themes, it's reality crumbling around you in every possible way, so there's some good shit visually speaking. It's personally what I look for most in a horror game so I liked it. Afterwards enemies appear but it's more business as usual.

You knew what?

Those games aren't hard, you just gotta know which monster to shoot, how many health items to spend and when you have to run, mostly trial and error stuff. RE games are harder than SH because in SH you have unlimited inventory space and melee weapons are actually useful, so maybe start with those.

Vid related sums it up pretty well

it was a long time ago when I played that so I was unsure if what I had found was real or just me not remembering right

also that you're a faggot

The heads? They pop out all the time, I played like 2 hours today and saw like 3 of them.

I thought you had to shake the window to get them to spawn

how would that work

Breath of the Wild looks great.

Anyone have a more updated version of this?

half of that list is utter trash

I'll give it a go. Any RPG Maker or old Horror-ish games that have really good puzzles? I only have a toaster laptop that's not capable of much more, and I like solving puzzles in horror games. I forgot which RPG Maker game it was where I did about half page worth of inequalities and possibilities to decipher symbols into numbers and was happy to be working it out, only to be bummed out that I missed some obvious decipher somewhere.

Corpse Party, Ib, Yume Nikki of course, Ao oni, One Night. Also not RPG Maker but you should play Sweet Home if you haven't

speaking of horror, it sucks when you watch a horror movie, want it to be good, but it just isn't

It almost got Lovecraft right so many times.

Damn I really wanted to watch that flick, modern horror movies are so dumb.

It's okay. Like most nuhorror it forgets the power of subtlety and just keeps trying to shock you with gore or body horror. There is one genuinely spooky part that did zombies better than most zombie related stuff in the last 10 years, but that was about as creepy as it got. It was pretty forgettable.

also, started a thread for this but it got derailed pretty bad. Are there any horror games involving a political or military setting aside from MGS 2 or Deus Ex?

at this point I'm just about to make my own.

That doesn't look too bad, but it's hard to get hype now of days.

I want a horror game where the "monsters" are 100% human, no supernatural or science fiction elements, just straight up trying to survive in a world where an army of psychopaths are trying to kill you (or worse).

"the horror of the real world at it's worst" would be the theme here.

Imagine this: in alternate-future Toronto, Islam has taken over in all but the government itself, the Muslims do whatever they want, and the government does nothing except try to cover it all up, you and your family have crossed a line somewhere, and the entire Islamic community is on a manhunt for you, they have already killed your family in the most brutal fashion, there will be a dreamlike quality to the horror, as you have no clue who is and isn't working with them, some people and areas are genuinely safe, but others are not, and sometimes they are safe unless you say or do the wrong thing, however, some people will try to hide you or protect you, but others wont believe you (like the cops), or try to turn you in, with the strict gun and weaponry laws in Canada, none of your hunters are armed with guns, as society is breaking down in the "dark zones" just as this is happening to you, and you have lost literally everything but the clothes on your back, you must loot the dark zone to survive, you can also use what you have looted to buy items in "safe zones" that have yet to "go dark", fighting is something that should only be used as a last resort, stealth is the key, in safe areas, this can become social stealth, where you must avoid only certain people in a crowd.
Going to the cops has long since been lost to you as an option, you killed one of the attackers, an adolescent boy, in your escape, and the police will try to arrest you at any given opportunity, should you go to jail, you will be assassinated there, so avoid the cops whenever possible.
To fuck with SJW's, you are not white, you are a Chinese-Canadian, and get to see the effects of the "refugees" on the Canadian Chinese community, along with other communities along the way, making it clear that Islam and North Africans are the unique threat among immigrants.

How to make this game? What changes should be made (if any) to the concept? anyone with the relevant skills willing to work on this project with me?

kinda sounds like Condemned

I guess you could argue that stalker is a horror game in a military setting.
The Marine campaign from AvP2 is pretty scary at times.

big fucking thing that pretty much every horror game forgets.

It's easy for anything to jump out of a corner with a screamer and go "oogaboohga".

it's NOT easy to make a situation that is unnerving, you look back on it, and it makes the situation even more horrifying after you learn about it.

Tension buildup is needed and then yes, you have to let that tension go with something, but you need to be able to re-wind up that tension.

Shit, that first one made my face uncomfortable.

goddamn what is that from

Is the user that shared this video still here? I need more creepy stuff like this.
Anyone have an archive of the last thread?

nes godzilla creepy pasta, animated apparently, but done well. Maybe someone is actually turning it into a game. It's an alright creepypasta that slowly lures you into the changes between normal game to spooky horror, but the ending is terrible. I think the site was dead last time I checked.

withn a few differnces:
One, the emphasis will be on survival, confusion, paranoia, and being unable to tell what was/is real from what was/is a dream due to trauma, for one thing:
there are multiple factions of muslims out to get you, and they hate each other, but you can't tell the difference between them, some non-muslims can be safe, but many of them are working with the guys who want to kill you, and you never know when, or if, they may do so, the stark difference between your home now vs. how it used to be causes you to question your own perceptions of reality, I'm trying to evoke the same type of horror I get in my dreams.
Unlike condemned, stealth and survival are the focus instead of direct melee combat, you need to take advantage of the relative anarchy in some areas to find food, water, etc. even safe zones can go dark, and the process is so subtle you may not know it until it's too late.
the themes of my nightmares are realistic, safe environments that can go bad at any time, and sometimes in response to what actions you take, with which actions trigger this being somewhat unpredictable, dialogue will be necessary, but choosing your words carefully can mean the difference between life and death.
Stealth is a key, maybe not always the traditional hide in the shadows, and climb through the vents type of stealth, but rather, the kind you likely engaged in during your life, taking the right streets, avoiding eye contact, etc.

Some creepy pasta, I forget the specifics.'

Oh wait, "godzilla creepy pasta" search got it right quick:

creepypasta.wikia.com/wiki/NES_Godzilla_Creepypasta

Postal 2 ;^)

Oh fuck I've read that shit. The beginning was super fucking strong.
I'm actually glad author couldn't keep up with it and turned it into sissy anime ghost story, otherwise it could end up damaging people's psychics.

I watched this, Profondo Rosso, and Inferno. Did Clock Tower series + Haunting Grounds rip off Argento's filmography? No wonder why they're shit, they should've ripped off the superior Fulci.

I KNOOOOOOOOOOOW GOD I WAS SO ANGRY.
I WENT TO A FUCKING ARTHOUSE CINEMA TO WATCH THE FUCKING MOVIE. THERE WERE HIPSTERS AND SJW EVERYWHERE.
THEY WENT TO SEE A MOVIE ABOUT DIVERSITY
AND THE VOID WAS SUBPAR AT BEST.

I AM FUCKING MAD.

So far it's not too bad. It's more of a horror movie than a Silent Hill game meaning it's a shit Silent Hill game and therefore a shit game since it has "Silent Hill" in the fucking title. It doesn't even take place in Silent Hill.

The music and atmosphere are still pretty great overall. The combo battles are terrible, especially considering you just have to spam the attack button and the few monsters that pop up in a jump scare and they can't do shit to you. Which brings me to how little of a threat there is in the game at all. The beginning is empty hallways and the town is also empty (and the graveyard, that's all I've gotten up to so far).

Another thing that really grills my goat, is the interaction between the characters. In the the first two Silent Hills every interaction feels kind of dream-like and unreal, and all the characters are unfamiliar to the protagonist. That's one of my favourite things about the games. Even though there are other people you still feel alone perhaps the people in the games make you feel even more alone if possible. In Homecoming everybody knows everyone and have been going "Alex, hey! It's been so long, how are you?"

I will power through in the name of SH3 and 4 though. It sucks that true survival horror are a rare breed. I'm not expecting to start crying while playing a videogame, but I at least want to feel the atmosphere of "horror". Apparently the Forbidden Siren/(just)Siren games are good though.

I wont be surprised if the Clock Tower devs got the inspitation for Scissor Man from some movie poster.

Well not yet anyway, but neither does SH3 at first, or SH4.

It gets even less subtle as time goes by, if you can believe it.

Explains a lot probably.

Survival horror isn't even a real genre. It's just action adventure puzzle. Yeah, SH and Forbidden Siren are the peak of the genre atmosphere-wise, but gameplay wise, I think Alone in the Dark still deserves the crown.

They actually did.

With the Western Silent Hill devs it really feels instead of keeping things ambiguous that they wanted to show you every single detail of a character they spent months modeling in clearly bright areas.

Huh, was that movie good?

Ew

Pretty gud. It stood out among the 70's/80's teen slasher flicks due to the well lit outdoor setting and nice, italian giallo esque music.

Most genres of videogames are a kind of puzzle game. Metal Gear Solid, for example, is all about planning your best course of action from the enemy movements and your surroundings as you can tell, I have been going through my PS1/PS2 backlog recently.

Are there any other games that are similar in atmosphere, by the way?

One of the best little touches of the first game is use of the posters. I already knew what to expect as far as the nurses go, but seeing their smiling living faces dotted around the walls early on was fucking fantastic!

Not really, maybe just the japanese games most of the time. Also, the puzzles of survival horror are (supposed to be) more identical to Maniac Mansion than those kind of puzzles.

By the way, my abhorrence of the puzzles of Silent Hill is how unnatural it is. In Alone in The Dark, the puzzles are natural, open ended, skippable, and easy to figure out if you bother to read. In Silent Hill, most of the puzzles are required to progress, linear, and are consisted of riddles. This is why Silent Hill and the rest of japanese games are inferior gameplay wise.

Most notable one is Condemned. It's nothing like SH but it nailed the wretchedness of long abandoned properties and loneliness. There's also a lot of emphasis on psychological horror.

AitDfag, please contain your autism, you don't need to go over this in every thread.

It's been like half a year.

AITD has:
It's the best survival horror ever.

We both know that's not true, a month at best.

I see a lot of games as puzzles (ie. If [x] didn't work then try [y]). Some of the puzzles in Silent Hill are pretty ridiculous though.

On the subject of mandatory puzzles, the worst, and best, one in any game (in my opinion) is the chess piece puzzle in Deadly Premonition.

It's probably one of the worst puzzles I've ever seen. An example of a good puzzle would be the one in Alone in the Dark's character selection screen, the part where Emily said that his uncle told the police to block the window and trapdoor. Subtle, yet explicit.

jesus that puzzle, I managed to bruteforce my way through it after giving up on logic

How was it the worst puzzle? Was it because it was too easy?

Just look up the internet. Puzzles like that aren't even satisfying to solve. They just exist for the sake of existing. RE4 has the same flaw.

It was really stupid, but it's also pretty genius in a way.

So how long untill the chinks at coonami realise what a cashcow SH will become again once they see how well RE7 did? we gonna get P.T after all?

First, it has nothing to do with the rest of the game. Second, the dev intentionally tried to piss you off but want you to consider them to be brilliant geniuses. It's good as a joke though, it's like the whole game is intentionally shit.

For what purpose

PT was a shitty jumpscare horror.

WHO WAS PHONE?!

Nippon Ichi also is teasing a new horror game.

nippon1.jp/consumer/new_title_170407/

With any luck, it won't be "localized" by NISA.

oh yeah off to a great start…

I didnt even think it was genius or anything, shit was basic as hell outside of being done by a guy who loves chess.

Considering that Bomberman R was successful and more or less revived Konami's social media I wouldnt doubt it.

five night at freddies?

The video being subtly different and then clicking the link thinking it was the same thing pissed me off.

Speaking of NIS horror games, wasnt Night Alone actually good?

yeah it's like they went full SOMA in two vids

It should have just been the dolls head turning a tiny bit towards the camera each video or something, with a final one being a minimal trailer showing off mechanics a bit and the final few seconds would just be the room with the doll missing and the time capture showing the release date.

something like that

see this is "better" but still missing the point

EVERY BREATH YOU TAKE
EVERY MOVE YOU MAKE

The sad thing is, this movie did a lot right. It didn't rely on jump scares, and they chose to go with costumes/props over CG. I think it's biggest issue is it kept relying on gruesome imagery instead of being more conservative with their monsters. The unknown can be much scarier than just showing something. It's better to allude to horrors than outright giving them to us.

The monster designs really didn't help. They were to busy with a bunch of meaty chunks stuck together and tentacles coming out everywhere. I was to busy trying to figure out what the monsters were rather than being afraid of them.

That bites, I had something similar happen when I went to see Rifftrax live before knowing who the audience for that shit was.

Still, it always sucks when something Lovecraft related falls flat.There really isn't much quality stuff out there related to his work aside from a few board games.

wew

System Shock 2 in particular has some of the best sound design I've heard in a game. It utilizes Thief's engine so well in regards to hearing where enemies are, and the sound of pic related is genuinely discomforting to hear.

Ah, a man of culture as well

jej
I took the exact same screenshot yesterday

Also, obligatory

I couldn't change the fov on this and kept getting headaches.

I do wish the ending was a little better, still a fantastic game with great atmosphere though.

the first system shock is alot better then the second but it's not as scary, just really comfy as fuck

It'll never live up to the hype now, its got Duke Nukem Forever syndrome. Almost no one gives a shit anymore and those who do are expecting so much they could never possibly deliver on.

Really good game. Couldn't finish it because lost my savegame after my HDD died, but I'm tempted to start it again

Anybody here tried out Ikenie no Yoru for the Wii? Shit came out only in Japan and there's no Eng patch, but there are translation docs. It doesn't seem to work on Dolphin 5, but it should work fine on Dolphin R5689. Do not use a nunchuk, this game doesn' use it. You can use a balance board but it's entirely optional. Enjoy.

Game: mega:#F!x0BlmaSR!RXrMXiC4TrPYmXrv51aIpA

Translation: mediafire.com/file/dp574snf0jfe2py/Ikenie no Yoru Translations.zip

You'll need a save file in order for it to work.

Save: mediafire.com/file/4dudmb3muxi03bw/data.bin

I have to replay that shit.

Are there any horror games about glitches?
(not walking sims though)

there's a bunch of "found hacked cartage" games which have "glitches", yeah they're not good

Played Ib, Yumi Nikki (and a fuckload of fan games) and Ao Oni (and one fangame), downloading the stuff to play Sweet Home, and I'll see about Corpse Party. Forgot I have One Night downloaded too, must have done it inadvertently when downloading all of Uri's games.

None of em really satisfied me puzzle-wise, although Ao Oni had some kinda entertaining ones, whichever version I last played. I just want to be blown away again like when I discovered the note in Silent Hill 3 about mutilating Heather's face was actually giving you the keypad combination. Finding the innocent man in the Silent Hill 2 noose puzzle was also a fun one. I just feels it adds a lot to the immersion when you're giving yourself a couple of minutes to ponder a puzzle/riddle while absorbing the atmosphere of the game.

Speaking of hacked catridges, are there any spooky romhack out there? None of that "backwards Lavender Town, Kefka laugh WANNA PLAY A GAME" tryhard bullshit, but a genuine ROMhack with a good spooky atmosphere. It can either be proper horror (game is spooky because spooky stuff happens in it) or glitchy/meta horror (game glitches in creepy ways and maybe even directs the scares directly at the player) Only things I can think of is the Call of Cthulhu mario romhack that Vinny played and the MARIO hack that came with a spooky image hidden in some text file.

I feel like pic related did an awesome job of articulating those feels and experiences haunted gaming creepypastas are supposed to provoke- and I think haunted gaming creepypastas are gay. It's also wrapped around a comfy first person j-horror

im scared is pretty decent, there's also some nip who makes weird things like this that are horror in of its self but fuck me do I forget what he's called

post a link of a pre-translated rom, could you? only one i could find was some faggy "turn off your adblocker to download this rom :^)" shit

I got your back bro.

Nanashi no Game: mega:#F!sBw3XCia!KdwZWCOt0hsuYzO3fc4G1w

And the sequel.

Nanashi no Game: Me: mega:#!3pBkyLqZ!mJhcotGlPnaK6w-TNzrW7VizHjCJi5mxaTsinUe045k

thanks user

Anybody consider Shadow Tower? It's not inherently a horror game but that's kind of what makes it scary since it's not focused on trying to scare the player and instead just plops you in a fucking scary ass dungeon and tells you to go on your merry way in the pitch dark. I'm only 2 hours in and I'm fucking spooked to my bones. Realistically though this game doesn't have much subtlety. However the tone is constant, the atmosphere depressing and claustrophobic and the absolute lack of music doesn't make things much better. To make things worse I haven't even posted some of the enemies. But if you look at the creature log you'll find some pretty horrifying shit there such as Corpses occasionally having a parasitic organism planted inside them that will lash out and attack you This makes pic 2 a much more fucking tense moment than it needs to be To make matters worse I heard a horrifying cackling behind me about a couple dozen yards away and refused to backtrack so I closed the game on the spot

Even though its just The Ring in game format its still creepy.

Outside of google images including some weird porno I cant tell what Night of the Sacrifice is, it looks sort of creepy but yet stylish with some of the character models.

Shadow Tower is pretty damn good user, only problem I have is with the control scheme.
If you like that one give Echo Night a try, it was made from the same studio (I think it was From) and with the same engine, it doesn't have the RPG mechanics of ST but it's still a nice game.

Have you looked in Jewtube?

I'm actually digging the control scheme. It's addicting somehow. In any case I still havn't been able to come back to it. I'll probably do it later tonight when the mood's right. I'll take pics then assuming I can get off my ass and actually play video games.

Are there any good horror game LPs? Yes, I'm a giant faggit for asking but I feel like watching a decent horror game instead of playing it right now.

The control scheme of Shadow Tower is fine because you're actually allowed to remap all the buttons. I mapped all the movement buttons to the d-pad and camera movements to the action buttons, giving it a true FPS controls.

However, what really makes it crap is the shitty collision detection and confusing map. You can't see the entire map, only fragments of it.

HarshlyCritical maybe? He's the least obnoxious horror LP on yt.

Too much facecam for my taste.

I like Joel from Vinesauce, he doesn't play exclusively horror games though.

I'd rather watch non commentary if facecam isn't included.

I'm just using an online map. I'm to autistic not to and it doesn't have any labels for anything. Just a basic outline and the location names. I go on the self honor system by not looking ahead. To me this is the lazy equivalent of drawing a map yourself.

He's kind of a retard, but I watch him too for some reason.

He's charismatic, I don't know. He's not even good playing, in his SH playthrough I wanted to travel to Sweden and kick him in the nuts because of the stupid shit he was getting stuck with.

Follow up. Are these noises I'm hearing just fucking ambience with no actual entity? I'm hearing a typical witches laugh and I can't find the source. It's getting annoying because I don't think there is one.

Look up Survival Horror Network. They do loads of long plays and the best part is that they dont include commentary since they know it would take you out of the experience.

They do have some nice videos.

They are if you balance the enemies appropriately. Instant kill mechanics would be fucking bullshit without a huge wind-up if the saves were few and far between. Of course, that depends on the game's length. A short game can be done without any saves, but it'll just boil down into trial and error and quickly lose its horror factor. Longer games with safe rooms like in the old Resident Evils were pretty neat as they let you relax a bit. By allowing you to come back down, the game was then able to build you back up later on.

Saw a YouTube run of that, good stuff. I think those "haunted game" thingies are an interesting option to explore (cf. Eversion or whatsitcalled), but it probably would be a one-pony-trick because any sequel would already have the player know that spooky stuff is incoming.

Part of the horror with those simple 8-bit optics is that they're linked to fond childhood memories for many gamers, so by injecting horror into that, you basically take away something that normally would make them feel happy.

Sometimes I like watching Two Best Friends/Super Best Friends/Zaibatsu/whatever the fuck you want to call them. The even have a whole "series" dedicated to horror games. There have been loads.