Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door+ (Ver. 1.2)

Got a long-overdue update for TTYD+, my Paper Mario romhack. For those unfamiliar with this hack, it reverts dialogue and textures that were altered during the game's English localization. Cola is changed back to alcohol, some gruesome details are uncensored, and Vivian's gender is once again a mystery for the ages. It also fixes a ton of little oversights from the localization—typos, incorrect enemy stats, etc. etc.
Two separate mods are also included if you want to edit the game further. One of them adds some new dialogue to fill in the odd plothole or two, changes some character names to make them more in-line with the other Mario RPGs, and incorporates some gags from the game's Spanish localization. The other alters some enemy and item textures to make them closer in appearance to the modern Mario games—both of these mods are 100% optional.
Enormous thanks to the fine folks of Holla Forums for offering critiques on previous versions of this mod. Many of the changes in this version are directly based on criticisms and requests received in previous threads. If anyone would like to see something added in a future update, I'm all ears.
The romhack can be downloaded here: romhacking.net/hacks/3092/

Other urls found in this thread:

tsroxxy8in.tumblr.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=7w4FGwguIPA
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

/thread

I'm only interested if Vivian isn't a tranny. Did you unfuck your changes to that or are they still there?

Seems to imply they unfucked the localization that decided to make Viv some kind of bold statement about gender identity.

Right and OP made a forced change

It's largely left vague. Like in the JP version, most characters are unsure of her gender, with her being called both a boy and a girl at various points. During the Goom Goom trouble center quest, for instance, he initially assumes she's a girl and starts hitting on her, but then he gets flustered when he can't be certain.

Here's a nice little tidbit though, the italian translation is said to have vivan itself outright state that she is a tranny, and proud of it.
Source is some sperg on the ultra progressive mario wiki

The most explicit mention of Vivian being male to female is in her Party description, which does say outright she was born male. All other dialogue is left pretty vague, even at the end of the game Goombella seems unsure

So she's not tranny, she's ambiguous, like an androgynous character. Is that the right interpretation?

God I wish I were androgynous

And? That doesnt mean shit. Its not verbatim from the source / original language. if youre okay with the wop version making shit up, youre okay with treehouse fucking with FE and such

Well yeah, Vivian is a gag character.

?

I remember you. You're doing god's work son.

It's just an nice example of Europe being cucked.

I finally fucking understand what they were actually going for with Vivian, thanks

No, in the japanese version is given vocabulary consistent with japan's practice of referring to people undergoing transgender therapy.
It's not really meant to be ambiguous.

The Japanese name for Red Bones is "Bloody Koopa Skeleton" I didn't want to change the name, but I did add a line in the Tattle that mentions it being stained with blood.
The threatening letter during the Excess Express mention was also toned down in the English release–the Japanese release explicitly mentions they plan to blow up the train, but the English release changed it to "a sticky doom." This change doesn't make too much since, cuz Pennington automatically assumes the Bob-Omb family to be the culprits. Cuz… y'know, they're bombs.
There's also the matter of the Toad chalk outline in the Rogueport back alley. Unfortunately, I couldn't put the texture back in, but if you use the optional extras mod, I added a post-game Tattle that suggests the Bandit is hiding a body.

Pretty cool, but is there something similiar for the first Paper Mario?
It's been so long since I played that one…

Fuck it Vivian is whoever xe wants to be in this fantasy world we live in

This game was released a long time before sjw's decided to force their changes down studio throats. You can relax. This is not a sjw move, more of japan being weird again.

Who gives a fuck about vivian.
Vivan is litterally the worst character.

Objectively wrong

I wonder if they think western children are filled with mustard or Pepsi instead of blood.

How is vivan a good character if you can't even tell what sex he is.

For those curious, here's everything in the main mod:

-Like in the Japanese version, Vivian is called both a boy and a girl at various points through the game, with many characters unsure of her gender. Dialogue during the first Shadow Siren fight and during Goom Goom's trouble center quest have been altered to reflect this.

-All references to “cola”, “cola bartenders”, etc. have been changed back to alcohol. It seemed a shame to lose that cute nod to Mario & Luigi, so I combined the English and Japanese names of Bobbery's drink (Chuckola Cola and Vintage Red) into Vintage Chuckola. The Chuckola Cola sprite has been changed back to its Japanese colors.

-The final Super Luigi book has been changed back to its Japanese colors.

-The Power Rush and Power Rush P badges now display P instead of D.

-Hooktail is sickened by frogs, rather than crickets.

-Pa-Patch responds to Bobbery "smelling something suspicious" with a fart, rather than suggesting "Flavio's armpit”.

-Bonetail is female, like in the JP version.

-Like in the Japanese version, Prince Mush has a real name separate from his stage name - instead of just being called "Mush", his real name is Banali T. (lifted from the French version)

-The Red Bones tattles now hint at it being bloody - both the Japanese and French versions call it a "bloody Koopa skeleton".

-Pennington's job description is now "Sanctum priest" rather than "Sanctum Manager".

-The threatening letter recieved on the Excess Express now specifies that there will be an explosion - this not only brings it closer to the Japanese version, but also makes Pennington's suspicions of the Bob-Omb family more sensible.

-The Bob-Ombs in the Fahr Outpost cannon have a small exchange regarding personal space and butts.

-The Icicle Pop and Zess Frappe descriptions now show that they heal FP, not HP.

-The Paragloomba tattle now says that it's a “stronger version of a Paragoomba,” rather than a Parakoopa.

-The Shady Koopa and Shady Paratroopa tattles now correctly reflect their abilities.

-The Dark Lakitu and Sky Blue Spiny tattles no longer call the Spiny Eggs "pipes".

-Freddy is no longer called "Gloomer" in Goombella's tattle.

-Grodus's responses before the final Bowser fight have been swapped - he now responds appropriately to Mario.

-Hooktail is now called “it” rather than “he” prior to the reveal that she is female. This avoids the confusion of characters calling her “he” and “him”, but maintains the surprise of Gloomtail revealing she's his sister.

-Pine T. Jr.'s letter makes reference to a "Bubu" character in Toad Town – this is actually a mistranslation of Bubu-san, the Japanese name for Li'l Oinks. This has been fixed.

-Glitzville's tiny model - visible from the Cheep Blimp cutscene - now uses the English signs, rather than the Japanese ones.

-The Buzzy species with spikes - called both Spiky Buzzies and Spike Tops in-game - are consistently called "Spike Tops" now. Luigi's Buzzy friend, Torque, is now called a "Wrench Top".

-Red Spike Top's Tattle now shows that it has the same stats as a regular Spike Top, and no longer asserts that it's "the sturdiest Buzzy Beetle species".

-Rawk Hawk's Tattles now display the correct stats.

-Pa-Patch's email mentions Flavio pestering him, but Flavio is no longer on the island! The email now specifies that Flavio comes to visit.

-Shellshock's dialogue during the ending cutscene has been tweaked - the localizers seemed to have confused him with King K., as he refers to Mario as "G-Man" and "my man" - terms typically used by King K.

-The posters in the Glitz Pit have been rectified to feature a Red Magikoopa and a basic Bob-Omb, as no blue Magikoopas or Bulky Bob-Ombs are fought in the Glitz Pit.

oops thread broke. izzat better?

Great now I can shitpost again

Oh, and regarding the "gags from the Spanish localization" included in the extra mod…
The Spanish localization fuckin rules.

I like to think Rawk Hawk is just a stage name and his actual name is Hawk Hogan or some shit.

The extra mod also adds this bit of dialogue when you Tattle the shopkeeper Boo. Her JP design had playboy bunny ears, and despite my best efforts, I couldn't get them to look right in the US version… different texture dimensions and whatnot.
So I added this bit of dialogue as a reference to the old texture.

And here's some pics of the modern texture pack. This is totally separate from either of the other mods, so no need to use 'em if you don't want.
The changes aren't quite as extreme as the Sticker Star / Color Splash redesigns–I tried to strike a good balance of modern and classic.

Your mod is shit and I can read moonrunes.
Give harder game or I report you

>by fucking with players all over the world assuming the translation team didn't fuck it up

Does this mod change it back to honor our leg-dropping, Gawker-smashing hero?

Disregard, I apparently can't be bothered to scroll a goddamn thread like a pleb.This mod is the greatest thing since sliced bread solely for this change.

Any political shitflinging over Vivian transfaggotry aside, I definitely appreciate the effort you've been putting into this. I've played the damn game so much in recent years that I'm a bit burned out for now but I'll definitely remember this if I ever decide to play it once more in the future for a more fresh experience with one of my favorite games.

Oh, for anyone curious about the “filling in plotholes” mentioned in the OP, what it basically amounts to is making Vivian less clueless. She's working alongside the X-Nauts the whole damn game, yet when you find the X-Naut base she's just “oh hey what's this place I've never seen before.” Then when her sisters awaken the Shadow Queen, she's all “oh hey what's this thing I've never heard of before.”

I added a few extra lines to explain why she's so ignorant about the whole thing (her sisters hid the “awakening an ancient demon” stuff from her, and she'd never seen the X-Naut base from the outside) This is all just in the extra mod, btw, so for those who just want the game to be more faithful to the JP version, you can stick with the main mod.

G
A
P
E
R

M
A
R
I
O

Mod to restore the Crimescene in full when?

Vivian isn't a fag, she is of the female sex and is the only good looking Shadow Sister.

Fuck off "muh trap representation" fags

This is why I fucking hate faggots. That's what you trap lovers are, a bunch of goddamned queers. And you ruined Vivian. Hope you all contract AIDS when you inevitably can't stand living alone and turn to fucking the trannies you find on Grindr.

Because cute, dubsman. Also, useful.

Believe me, I tried my damndest, but the tools I have only allow me to replace textures and dialogue. The chalk outline in the crime scene is a separate texture from the wooden floor, so it's not just a matter of editing the wooden floor texture. I'd have to manually muck around with the game's code to put the outline back in, and I wouldn't know where to begin with that D:

TEC's eye is a similar problem. JP TEC was straight-up HAL 9000, but the Treehouse changed his eye from red to blue, no doubt so they wouldn't have lawyers knocking down their door. As far as I can tell, his eye isn't a texture, but rather a flat color that's hard-wired into his model. Messing with the 3D models is all a bit out of my league, but I'd be thrilled if someone with more romhacking experience offered to help.

I've considered using the Japanese version as a base and simply hacking the English dialogue in to circumvent all this, but the letter spacing is different in Japanese, so the dialogue would all be spread out awkwardly :\

It might be possible to inject the JP .iso with the US version's letter spacing, but once again, that's well out of my league. Any more code-savvy folks know how this might be accomplished?

Guess you can say we better start checking out poz privilege.
tsroxxy8in.tumblr.com/

Oh! Something I totally can do tho is edit the music. Someone developed a branch of Audacity that's compatible with several GameCube audio formats, and TTYD is included in that. I've tossed around the idea of making music packs to replace the soundtrack with other games' music (SMRPG, Paper Mario 64, Mario & Luigi maybe?) but I wanted to focus on this hack before I dipped my toes into that.

Why would you wanna edit the music? Explain yourself.

MEMEGAME

Skelux (the guy who made the multiplayer Mario 64 hack) has designed a program for editing the first Paper Mario, but truth be told, that game doesn't really need a de-censorship romhack–there's nothing of note that's been censored. A couple of altered music tracks, sure, but I don't think the program can edit music.

That said, if anyone is remotely interested in modding PM64, do give the program a look. It's called Mario Mache. There's a much more extensive editor called Star Rod in the works, but it's not quite finished yet. It looks hella cool, tho: youtube.com/watch?v=7w4FGwguIPA

Futa and tg aren't traps, though.

For shits and giggles I guess. I wouldn't include the music edits in this pack, but it might be interesting as its own standalone thing. I'unno, I just like the idea of playing through TTYD with SMRPG music.

Why not replace the models?

No one gives a fuck OP ;^)