Are either of these games worth playing?

Are either of these games worth playing?

I fucking hate that damn pan flute in Spirit Tracks. Literally have never beaten it because of one of those fucking flute sections.

Well, if you have a better recommendation for a game that has that sort of gameplay… except Ys.

I haven't played it and now I'm to depressed to play it with NISA localizing it.

Try Ys.

From what I played of PH, I'd say no. Because of stylus only controls, it feels like some weird adventure game instead of an action RPG. Aside from SS, they're the only main Zelda games I refused to beat. Are you looking for games similar to 2D Zelda or 3D Zelda? If you're thinking about something like Ys, that's more up Zelda II territory.

Phantom Hourglass makes you go through the same dungeon, the Temple of the Ocean King, every time you clear some other dungeon. Each time you do, you can go deeper, but you still have to do all the puzzle solving and shit you've already done to go through the previous floors. It was enough to seriously impact my desire to continue.

Spirit Tracks has a similar sort of dungeon, but it doesn't make you go through sections you've already done. For that reason and others, ST is the better choice. If you have a thing for Zelda games in general, though, PH might still be worth a shot for you.

Completely forgettable. Even the 3DS one is a shitty version of Link to the Past that is a chore to play.

In my opinion, the only good Zelda games are:
The Legend of Zelda (because fucking duh)
Zelda II: The Adventure of Link (an acquired taste, but still fun)
A Link to the Past (concentrated Legend of Zelda)
All three GB/GBC Zelda games
Ocarina of Time (the new generation's first Zelda, and a great game all its own)
Wind Waker (FUCKING TRIFORCE QUEST, YOU FUCKS SHOULD HAVE ADDED MINI-DUNGEONS FOR THEM!)
Twilight Princess (a wee bit on-rails, but still fun and memorable)

I didn't care for Majora's Mask, but I don't think it's bad. Just not my cup of Z. Didn't like the GBA Zelda games, and Breath of the Wild can wait until the Switch is on clearance.

Gotcha, looks like the ones I still need to play are WW, TP, and Zelda II. I'm about to beat aLBW and was trying to figure out what I should play next.

Figured I'd see if the other DS ones were worth it but from the response in the thread I'll probably hold off on those. And of course, if there are any games like Zelda I'm definitely up to try em.

Trips are wasted on this post. If you're not a retard you can open shortcuts in the Temple of the Ocean King that allow you to skip the bits you've already done with your new item. You don't have to replay the entire thing over and over again if you have a non-african IQ.
PH and SS are an acquired taste, and more adventure than action, but the touch screen does make for some interesting items and puzzles. And to be honest the overworld theme for Spirit Tracks is fucking lovely. The combination of the train-ride-like rhythm and the pan pipes (which are your musical instrument in the game) is quite comfy.
And Spirit Tracks is also set hundreds of years after PH, so you get a sense of what happens in nuHyrule when it's founded after they finally found a continent to settle on and fight a new big bad that isn't Ganon.

If you can track down a copy or get it to emulate right, this is somewhat 3D Zelda, with some mild platforming in it.

Shoot, it's one of those games that doesn't emulate well?

I'm honestly surprised it ran as well as it did when I tried it. I went in with default settings on PJ1.6 and it was working almost perfectly for an hour, then it crashed out of nowhere. Maybe it just needs a little tweaking in settings to keep it from random crashes.

Everdrive 64 my friend.

I enjoyed phantom hourglass much more then spirit tracks.
I know some people don't like the stylus controls but I thought it was just fine once you got used to it.
I actually think most of my problems with spirit tracks is with the overworld.
I didn't like how everything is literally on rails and trying to avoid the other trains like Im playing pac-man.
I didn't like how if you messed up on the rabbit minigame you had to go back to town then go back to try again.
I didn't like giving fussy passengers a ride while obeying all the signs like I'm going for my damn drivers license.
I also didn't enjoy the pan pipe gimmick.

I did enjoy all the minigames in PH.
I did enjoy discovering islands not on the map in PH.
I actually enjoyed the temple of the ocean king because it was all about getting through it as fast as you could which encouraged you to use all of your items and keeping good notes for next time.

I also hated linebeck's descendant in ST compared to PH linebeck

What about Minish Cap?

I've played through both of them twice I think Phantom Hourglass is probably the weakest Zelda besides all that multiplayer mini-game shit. Spirit Tracks is pretty fun and is a middle-tier Zelda game.

Has anybody tried this on an emulator or with cheats so that it controls with the dpad instead?

Yes. They're not the best of Zelda but they're some good additions to the DS. People forget to that Linebeck is one of the best characters in the franchise. With Phantom Zelda in close second. Still be prepared for a lot of backtracking in the first one and the rigidity of traveling in the second. Though finding all the warp gates and making your own map of which ones go to where was pretty comfy I gotta say.

Ditto my nigga

Minish Cap was alright but it was piss easy, even for a Zelda game.

Difficulty really doesn't factor into my judgement of Zelda games. I mean I rarely died at all in any of them my first run through.

Yeah man, phantom hourglass was pretty good and its one of my favourite DS games.

Zelda has never been an action RPG.

If you're willing to go full-autism then find someone to play the multiplayer component with.

It's fantastic.

No, unless you need something to help you fall asleep.

They are both bad games; I would sat that ST is worse, but that's like trying to decide whether cholera or tuberculosis is worse. Let me explain something about bad games: there are different kinds of bad, it is not a linear scale. There are your typical bad games like what the AVGN plays, which are just bad in every regard.

That is not the type of bad I'm talking about. No, the graphics, music, sound, gameplay, they are all good. The game is technically fine. The problem is that there just is nothing fun to play, the content is bad. The enemies are pushovers, the puzzles are trivial, there is no overworld and the dungeons are linear as fuck. But all of this would make the games merely mediocre. What makes the games truly bad is the putrid design decisions on top of that.

PH has the dungeon you have to enter over and over again. Yes, I know there are certain checkpoints you can teleport to so you don't have to do the entire dungeon every time, but that's like saying you don't need to get fucked by all the aidsniggers from beginning, you can resume at the aidsnigger you got fucked by last. How about I don't get fucked by aidsniggers at all? The dungeon itself is entirely one of those shitty stealth segments where the enemy can kill you in one hit and you have to start all over again. It's so boring and tedious.

ST is the same, except this time you get the train and a retarded AI companion. To add insult to injury, the game goes out of its way to force you into the train as much as it can. I was on my way form one end of the world to the other and when I finally arrived there the game was like "nope, the bridge is broken, drive all the way back to get and NPC to here". That was the moment I snapped and got rid of that shit. If riding a train was not boring enough, there are "ghost trains" which kill you in one hit. You can either take a lucky try and hope you don't run into them, or you can sit there and try to figure out their pattern. Both options are boring as fuck.

I really wish they would've continued Toon Link's story without these games that feel like spin off bullshit more than actual games.

Darksiders is like an M-Rated OoT with actually good combat. As for handheld Zoldos, the best is always Link's Awakening.

nice shitty stupid fucking minigames, fucking memegame

Literally what?

He's probably referring to the fact that all of the combat is best dealt with spamming the same move ad-nauseam.

I don't think that word means what you think it means, fam. Sounds like someone who never beat it on Apocalyptic.

You're being deliberately vague and now you're shifting the goalposts.

Tell me the "same move" that you can spam on Apocalyptic that is the best option for "all the combat".

you use the crossblade to infinitely air attack in the air you retard

that is also true.

Spirit Tracks is one of the best Zelda games ever.

Why the fuck would you want to do that? Are you actually retarded? That's slow as FUCK compared to PS/HT/WW. If you have a bunch of air enemies, you mass-ground them with EB and rip them apart with non-shit moves.

Don't remember the key combo but there's that one move that you lose when you upgrade that charge toward an enemy and stuns it it's spammable and the recovery animation on enemies is long enough for you to put out hits, that would be the move you can destroy most fights with.
There's also the infinite air combo but I didn't know about it until later.

You're thinking of Harpoon Tackle, which is not something you spam outside of babby-mode as you're left open and will get fucking destroyed from behind since enemies do real damage. Apocalyptic (especially if you aren't cheating with NG+ abyssal armor) requires actual situational awareness and a varied moveset. You should try it sometime.

Been there done that.

Guarantee you cheesed it with apoc armor like a faggot.

How'd you ever figure that one out.

Are you actually retarded?

You're shifting the goalposts again, Shlomo.

First you were crying that the combat was bad specifically because "you can spam one attack and win". When told to play the game on Apocalyptic where you can't do that unless you import your Abyssal Armor from a previous save for an NG+ cheating run, you admit that you used said NG+ cheating gear. When called on that, you pivoted yet again and are now claiming that the combat is bad, and that spamming one attack is the only way you find it fun.

How embarrassing.

Wouldn't that just be Souls with more limitations on what they can do with the concept? Why do people want that?

I love everything about Spirit Tracks EXCEPT those fucking instrument sections. Remember the Lumpy Pumpkin harp section? Now imagine doing that multiple times and instead of being in a side quest, it's something required to progress the game.
FUCK

I don't think you know what that word means. i merely pointed the fact that cheesing with one attack is a viable strategy I later added the precision that it's not only viable but actually better than doing anything else.

I never admitted to anything.
Last time I had that argument was "Trust me user you can't pure plat Bayo using only 1 weapon and two combos"

Dark Souls is good for things other than it's difficulty. Don't be a gay.

Dark Souls is pretty close to 3D Zelda.

See
Specifically:
And then where you admit that you cheesed it with abyssal armor.

You're like those faggots that claim Dark Souls has bad combat specifically because you can cheese the first half of the game with the Drake Sword. Well don't use the fucking Drake Sword then you stupid nigger. Jesus christ.

It's more of a Metroidvania.

Basically this.

(checked)
And this.

It is Ocarina of Time combat with less story and puzzles.
Also Zelda could be Metroidvania. It is not like these two things couldn't co-exist.

You decided to see what you wanted to see because it makes you right.

Your example would have been more credible if you used something that's equivalent, like say the KARASAWA in AC1 to stick to FromSoft and games that people say are shit because of one cheese, but then the game is actually very fun and much more interesting if you don't cheese, which isn't the case with Darksiders, I'll give Darksiders one thing though It's nowhere near as bad as 2 on that front.

Zelda has an overworld. Metroidvanias are one continous dungeon.

Had the same problem.
I'm sure this should be easier in an emulator, but in a proper 3ds it was amazingly hard in a not fun way.

Trains > boats, btw.

This.

Spirit Tracks is okay, it feels a lot like a Wild ARMS game.

Yes but would continuous dungeon destroy Zelda?
Especially that overworld served no purpose other than traveling from dungeon to dungeon in Ocarina of Time.
Pretty much was less dangerous dungeon in Link to the Past.
And wasn't even here in Spirit Tracks. Haven't played Windwaker and Skyward Sword but they also barely had overworld to my knowledge.

It is not like up until BotW Zelda was Open World game.

Except for, you know, the fuckpile of secret items and the side quests.

Yeah but well it is not something specific to overworld.

If you can't get said said secret items in the dungeons, they are by definition specific to the overworld. I do agree that OoT isn't an "open world" game in the contemporary sense, like ubishit or bethesda games.

Holla Forums needs more posts like this.

It's colorful but fundamentally exaggerated. The issues he brings up aren't entirely wrong but aren't nearly as bad when you play it thanks to the "good" portions he mentioned prior. The puzzles are charming enough and the gameplay/combat isn't great but remains solid enough to carry you to the end. I wouldn't put either game above a 6 out of 10 but calling them absolute shit is a bit far.

Well, I'm more specifically talking about-
-instead of the kind of retardation we see used to call something actually good or at leas decent shit.

I never played WW and had a lot of fun with Phantom Hourglass. One of the few Zelda games in recent memory that I enjoyed at all actually. Spirit Tracks wasn't nearly as good and I couldn't be made to give a fuck about trains at all.

What did you find enjoyable about it? I couldn't stand either of the DS Zelda games.

Probably the same stuff everybody liked about Wind Waker. The setting, the characters, the music, the novelty of sailing on the ocean instead of riding a horse. Everything came together really well and made for a charming adventure that was different from the other Zelda games. I bet I would have liked Wind Waker if I ever played it, but I never owned a Game Cube.

How good is Phantom Hourglass coming off of Wind Waker?

It's too fucking short anyways.

The world and aesthetic leaves you starved for what could have been a larger and longer adventure, especially with 3 basically scrapped islands part of the story, but briefly visited. It hurts forever that it'll never reach its full potential just because of how it looks and how expansive it is and that Aonuma decided "we already used the dungeons in new games anyways, so who gives a fuck".

Linebeck.

Incomparable. Imagine if WW had 25% of the budget is the best way to put it. Quality wise? WW is much better. But both PH and ST had way to much ambition and as a result often had a lot of padding in places it shouldn't.

Is Phantom Hourglass a more complete game unlike Wind Waker?

Wind Waker is complete in the sense that it's done. Don't know what you're asking here.

its more an undertale

Interviews revealed a lot of content in WW was pushed back for Twilight Princess. (And then content from that was pushed back to Skywad Sword, etc).

The Tri-Force shard gathering quest was painfully slow, and felt out of place. Many also felt islands were "throw-away" for just one minor chest. As if each island was supposed to be larger.

So, some think the game had a few more hours of content, and maybe another dungeon or two.

I can say I fully enjoyed Phantom Hourglass.
Out of all the Zelda's I've played, it's the only one I've ever finished. I particularly like the Hourglass Temple that you keep coming back to.
Zeldas I've played for any significant period of time:
-PH
-Twilight Princess (Still great. Got to the Twilight temple and got bored with the floating hand thing and quit.)
-Link to the Past (Also great, but I got bored.)

i got tired of link to the past simply because of the reptitive dungeon music. you spend more time in dungeons than outside of them so why couldnt there be a bit more variety in the music?

Greatfish Isle, Fire Mountain and Ice Ring Isle were definitely scrapped dungeons and that hurts the game severely with just how much it very noticeably shortens and cuts content out of it.

Skipped them both.

yeah Minish Cap is a good ga-
fuck no, pointless grind central. my ex loved them, but she was easily entertained.

More like padding. There's a difference.

/thread

bait bump

Minish Cap a good, tripsman. I'm on the verge of beating that one if I can find it again. The miniaturization mechanic was fun, especially when used to find secret stuff.

While I'll give you that Greatfish and Icering were scrapped, didn't Fire Roost and Tower of the Gods already count for Fire and Water element dungeons?

I wouldn't call that unfinished though. Just cut content. The base game feels finished for the most part. It just reeks of lost potential.

We had posts like that all the time back in mid 2015.

they're pretty alright