Romancing Saga

I have started the third one on the snes and I think I got a handle on battle system. Is there any weird things I should be aware of? and OP combos and weapons? Its pretty cool, very very open rpg style not linear at all which is a surprise for a Squaresoft title.

Saga Thread as well.

Other urls found in this thread:

essenceofsaga.wordpress.com/home/book-index/secret50/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I remember starting this game and immediatly getting lost

All Saga games are trash since FF2

Its been pretty fun so far, just stats gaining, weapon focus/techs and mantra magic. They game is super open and not linear at all. Just been going from town to town looking for quest/joinable characters. So far slayed a massive pack of rats that was attacking a town and saved some possessed kid from a Devil King. I could understand people getting lost though and you have to complete the 1 hourish intro quest for the character you pick.

Yeah it seemed interesting enough, I should pick it back up.

There's level scaling. When you become stronger, different monsters appear at lower leveled areas.

As far as I've heard, while SaGa has its appeal and there is a fanbase, even here in the west, the open nature and mechanics themselves seem to make it rather hit or miss, at least from what I've heard of them. Still need to give them a try myself.

You might also want to consider looking into RS1. The SFC version got a completed English patch last year (I think), while the PS2 remake saw an actual western release. Not sure if Square deciding to bring the mobile remake (and the Vita port of the mobile remake) of RS2 west has killed the SFC fan-translation. AG is pulling a Dr. Pavel and has said nothing about any of their ongoing projects (which Romancing SaGa 2 was amongst) for well over a year now.

Just more translator scene drama from what I hear. Nothing new there.

The issue is the absolute lack of any information on anything. His site used to at least try to keep people somewhat up to speed on what was going on, but there's been absolutely nothing since another revision of the Treasure of the Rudras patch, meaning it's getting close to two years of zilch. And as far as I know, his whole "direct inquiries on progress will result in being blocked" thing still stands, so who knows what the fuck he's doing thee days aside from apparently virtue signaling on twitter, from what I hear.

It would be nice to just get a "yeah, it's still going despite the remake" or "no, we dropped it because Square's releasing it/technical issues", or even "no, we're giving up on making patches for anything further" rather than keeping people completely in the dark. Even Cless has had the decency to let people know he was throwing in the towel (and thus has finished none of his translation projects aside from Phantasia PS1), despite being the sort of person who took twelve years for a single game patch.

The Last Remnant is the best Saga game.

I have never played this series. This type of combat does not appeal to me.

I looked into the Brigandine Grand Edition translation and it's as bad as you said.

20 hours in, roughly 750hp and haven't really had any problems with bosses. Got to fight some weird racing car, well on a racing car. Just finished exploring a Crystal Castle. Wood, Poet, Ellen and That fire bro are OP.

I just finished playing SaGa Frontier, the first in the series I played from start to end. It was pretty fantastic.

The only SaGa game I've played is Scarlet Grace because I liked what I heard of the soundtrack. I liked it, and apparently it stacks up well to the rest of the series too.

Shame it's gonna stay in moonrunes.

I've been reading through some of the translated Essence of SaGa Frontier. There's so many unusual bits about the game, it's very fascinating.
essenceofsaga.wordpress.com/home/book-index/secret50/

I gotta do another playthrough of that game (and actually beat Riki's campaign this time. I think it's the only one I have left). Was considering doing an all JP run this time as well. So much in the way of cool unfinished shit though. I wish Asellus' campaign was actually 100% complete, since it's so rushed at the start otherwise.

Romancing SaGa 3 coming to the West, please wait warmly

Best timeline. Now if they could just release Frontier on the Vita in English.

Considering how that Adventures of Mana Vita port was handled (being a port of the mobile version that still had fuckhuge interface buttons, likely due to phons using touch controls), I'm not sure what to make of that, whether it'll be worth it at this point. Plus, given Square's recent localization efforts for the past few years, I have my doubts they're exactly going to aim for accuracy.

More like release Scarlet Grace in English at all, given how much Square has hated the Vita out here.

Funny thing is that Frontier 1 and 2 are on the Japanese PSN (unsure about Vita whitelist status there), but aren't on the PSN for ANY system here in the west. Same with Brave Fencer Musashi. After the PS2 games Square just seemed to stop bothering with the series here again, not bothering to bring SaGa 2 and 3 DS west, nor clearing the Frontier games for the PSN. Part of why I doubt Scarlet Grace will come over, between that sort of treatment of the prior entries, and Square acting as if the mobile market has more interest than Vita owners do.

English Scarlet Grace would be Golden Age of Man tier. Frontier 1 and 2 should be an easy move though, given that they have both a PS1 port on the Vita and an English translation for the game.
The updated SaGa 2 would also be more than welcome. I actually tracked down copies of FFL 1 and 2 for the GBA, but I wouldn't mind something with a few mechanical updates, especially if it runs on something with a better/larger screen with an actual backlight.

That said, I also kinda doubt we'll ever get English Scarlet Grace or SaGa 2. Part of me is holding out for Vita Frontier but I'm already planning on setting up a JP account for a few games and slowly working my way through them

Part of the issue is, again, Square seems to have a hateboner for the Vita. Until Adventures of Mana (which westerners had to fucking grovel before them to get them to consider it), I think the only games they released for the Vita in the west were FFX/X-2 HD, Army Corps of Hell, and Deadman's Cross. Not even Chaos Rings III: Prequel Trilogy (a bundle of what I've heard were actually pretty decent JRPGs ported to the Vita from phones) could get a native western release on the Vita, and I think I've heard those games even already had english scripts.

They also won't bother with the Vita version of Star Ocean 2, but then again they seem to dislike the old stuff Enix used to publish anyhow, hence no versions of the old Valkyrie Profile or Star Ocean games being on the PSN, let alone any Dragon Quest or Quintet developed games on the VC or PSN here (barring ActRaiser).

Maybe a new post might fix it.

Bringing back some unfortunate memories of times I'd hoped were gone. I pray they're not returning.

works on my machine

Those were bad times

Sure, though I'd argue we're in the center of the Squeenix Hate Boner Venn Diagram: Non FF JRPG and Vita release. That said, Vagrant Story, DQB and a few others made it over. I suppose it doesn't matter too much to me in either case because I've ordered another overpriced memory card for the express purpose of buying that motherfucker off the JP storefront, and I still own a disc copy of the PS1 release (technically it belongs to my uncle, but he hasn't claimed it and I'm not going to encourage him to)

GideonZhi, aka the guy behind AG is a massive cunt who hoards projects and keeps them hostage while making no progress on anything. He had the SMT:if… patch 'playable/almost ready' about 2-4 years ago and then he went silent and nowadays he only retweets hipster bullshit or feminist tweets.