CONTROLLER/HARDWARE THREAD

Woah, sorry about the cruise control.
So I am a "Emulation is for niggers" user and I am just curious is the N64 controller outside of a arcade stick, snes controller, and ps4/xbox1 controller all that you need? How bad is it to map N64 games to modern controllers? I also never got to try the sega saturn controller cause FUCK.

Controller thread. Mouse and keyboards welcome.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=OEJmSQjONRg
ebay.com/itm/NEW-design-Gamecube-style-Thumbstick-Joystick-Repair-for-NINTENDO-64-Controller-/170684364342?hash=item27bd94b636:g:fqsAAOxyi3FRyaeC
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

The project64 controller mapping is ass with the n64 controller. You're better off with a flashcart

This. An Everdrive is all you need, aside from perhaps a Superpad 64 or a Hori 64 controller.

I absolultely hate the Hori pad for stuff like Virtual Pro Wrestling 64 though.

Everdrive. GC to N64 adapter. Have fun.

You mean hook a gc controller up to the n64 or hook a n64 controller up to the gc?

WARNING! INCOMING GAY

Adapter to plug GC controller into an N64. Apparently works quite well.

Dang. Thats cool. But there is literally nothing wrong with the n64 controller

OP just outed himself as a retard.

Depends where get controller from. Usually the analog is fucked before anything like mine is. This is just a decent alternative should you want one.

Does the C stick act like the C buttons?

Modern emulators exceed the capabilities of legacy hardware. They also free you from the clutter of console hoarding. Embrace the flow of technology user.

Yeah there's a number of ways to go about that. If you get a controller with a thumbstick in good condition, its extremely easy to take it all apart and put a drop of lithium grease in it once you know how. Instructions here
youtube.com/watch?v=OEJmSQjONRg

Alternatively, you can buy a gc style joystick and use that. Some people report a larger deadzone, but I can personally attest to how good it feels. Check ebay for listings.
ebay.com/itm/NEW-design-Gamecube-style-Thumbstick-Joystick-Repair-for-NINTENDO-64-Controller-/170684364342?hash=item27bd94b636:g:fqsAAOxyi3FRyaeC

The n64 is a really fun system in that all of its hardware is very accessible and built to last.

Yeah, I meant to say I am emulating I am just wondering if getting a N64 controller is even worth it or can I map for a modern controller. Original hardware faggots can fucking die.

My 360 works fine on my 64 emulation. Still you have to compensate by making your right analog the yellow buttons but it's not to bad.

For most platformers, it's fine.
For Zelda games, it's awful.

This is true for everything but N64 emulation. This one continues to be utter dogshit even to this day

No you don't.

No, it's not.

Well you could make it your directional pad but then you would have to stretch to reach it with your right hand. So yea you kinda have to.

I have never seen a n64 controller where the analog stick actually was working…

Mine's been good for 8 years. And I've only gone through 1.

I want that HDMI modded N64, but it's always sold out

Nope.
Still no.

I swear, non-traditional gamepad binding is the true autism test.

Ocarina of time has been ported to 3 different systems that didn't have N64's button layout. They were fine most of the time but playing the Ocarina is on it is like walking with a rock in your shoe.

Everyone with a DS4 that I've had try this bind has loved it far more than the OG controller and found it super comfy, for both combat and ocarina usage.

Nig if you have a 360 controller that's what you do. Dunno what you're trying to convey other than you have an autistic method of binding your yellow buttons.

Nope. The above method works with the 360 as well, and is infinitely better than binding your c-stick to your right stick for OoT/MM.

I never said it didn't but "infinitely better" is a stretch unless you're legitimately autistic. Both work fine unless you're speedrunning or some shit.

That's called hyperbole, fam. Would significantly better trigger you less?
You'd have to tell me your specific definition of "fine", because the literal version is "of high quality", and as it is an imprecise input method that requires you to remove your thumb from the attack and roll buttons to use, while my binding does not, I wouldn't call c-stick to right stick "fine" at all.

c-buttons*

I know what I hyperbole is I still think it's a stretch.

It's no worse than the original controller really. And you don't use the yellow buttons while you're attacking or rolling so that still doesn't make sense. Unless I need to zoom in immediately as I roll I guess. Like I said unless you're speed running or something it's not a big difference. Plus I prefer the C button layout sticking to cardinal directions as it translates more smoothly to in game UI.

I don't think you've played the game in a while, either that or you never figured out z-targeting.
The C-button layout I posted does stick to cardinal directions. Play with it for a couple of hours and I guarantee you'd find it faster, more comfortable, and more efficient.

When there is an option that's better in every way, and I really do mean every way, there's no reason not to use it.

How does Z-targeting play into this? When you're attacking or rolling you're fingers aren't gravitating towards the c buttons.

Yes but not congruently. And when I play a game that shows that congruent and modular look I want my controller to mimic it.

Unless you actually want to mimic the actual layout of the controller to fit the original controller as close as possible you mean? When I emulate I look for the best adaptation I can get. In any case it's agree to disagree. I find the method I use fine because it works without any issue the original didn't already have.

Pull out a ranged weapon, z-target an enemy, and then try to roll while you're plinking at them.
Up/Down/Left/Right in the exact locations your hand sits on the controller without having to shift your fingers around at all isn't "congruent" enough? There's no pleasing some people, I suppose.
Why would I want to do that? Who gives a fuck what arbitrary binds the developers used to fit the worst first-party controller ever created. If I can improve on it (I can and have), why would I not use the improved binds?
This contradicts your previous statement.
Actually it doesn't, since you could use both A/B and the c-buttons without picking up your thumb and putting it on a stick, and you just contradicted yourself yet again as you said you want the "best adaptation", but then go on to say that you're happy with a worse adaptation as it preserves flaws the original had.

I don't think you know what you want.

Would love to buy a wheel for racing games one day.

The whole point of using a ranged weapon is that you're not right up to them. When would you ever need to roll when you're drawing an arrow? And even then if it was necessary I'de just move to claw for that .5% of the time I need to do it.

Nice job not reading what I said about UI. I prefer the button close together and facing cardinal directions. Why is this so hard to understand?

Embed related. It's about emulating it as close to the original as possible so you can play the game the way it was intended. If you can't understand further than that then just give up.

I don't get this issue. I'm ore than capable of moving the analog stick with the same thumb that's pushing the AB buttons. If it's to difficult I just use claw. But like I said I rarely if every NEED to so it's not an issue.

I think you just don't understand preferences.

Holy fuck, I actually laughed out loud. Okay, yeah, we're done here. It all makes sense now. Trying to discuss ergonomics with a claw-gripper is like trying to discuss fine dining with someone who's into fecophilia. We're in two different worlds.

Like I said agree to disagree. My methods are different but ultimately come to the same results. I'm not disowning your method I jut don't find it particularly close to what I want when I play N64. Least you could do is not act like a cunt who thinks the "best" methods are the only ones.