Lets talk about devs most at risk of dying out

Lets talk about devs most at risk of dying out

archive.is/olboC

Outside of Borderlands 2 selling gangbusters, how likely is it that Gearbox will die?

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.is/RPGc2
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Bad developers don't die. They just turn into husks that produce even more garbage under superior publishers.

Not always, look at Crytek. They have nothing left, they sold some studios to other companies like SEGA, they've been unable to pay employees for months, Amazon supposedly has done a better job with Crytek's engine than Crytek itself, most devs are jumping ship to Star Citizen, it doesnt always work out like that

Didn't they partner up with G2A chinks and are now re-releasing Bulletstorm at full price?

They must be pretty desperate for money after Stillborn flopped so fucking hard.

Crytek was run by idiots. First they make a mediocre FPS that sold on its demanding graphics, and then they decide to squander whatever notoriety that gave them by releasing two sequels into an already over-saturated console FPS market.

Then they spend the next few years doing fuckall, get into a nasty lawsuit with MicroSoft where both sides are wasting time and money purely to spite each other, a conflict MS was going to win anyway because they have money to burn. Meanwhile Crytek was busy shitting out free-to-play trash and starting projects and then canceling them midway through.

They somehow managed to squeeze out Ryse, another turd no one gave a fuck about on a moribund console, and all the while they simply sat on the Timesplitters IP for no conceivable reason.

I'm sure they are, although the death of Gearbox will be just as sweet as the death of Bioware.

Gearbox will probably get bought out, not die off. Borderlands and Duke are still valuable IPs to bigger companies. Borderlands especially since that'll just print money by the truckloads.

Dear lord no, a decade of Pre-Sequels.

Ryse was Microsoft. It was also planned to be more of a first person game before it turned into what it released as. Since it was Microsoft I'd assume they paid a lot for it.

In terms of Timesplitters people have pointed out the franchise has never been a big seller. Timesplitters Future Perfect sold notoriously poorly. To the suits that actually fund these projects, funding a sequel to some FPS from 12 years ago that probably won't break even isn't in their best interests.

YES, BURN THE FRANCHISE TO THE GROUND

You say it like it's a bad thing. I wish EA would waste time and money on Borderlands. It would stop them from thinking of ways to shit up actually good games.

CryTek could just have made a HD re-release of the games to make a buck or two and garner some goodwill instead of burning money on VR anf f2p trash that didn't even make it to release.

That hasnt stopped Crytek from letting fans work on Timesplitters Rewind.

Impossible, Randy is obviously too rich. It's been through 4 or 5 failures already and it's still going.

I just want to shoot things with randomized loot that isn't awful or indie shit. Still thinking of Shadow Warrior.

hostile takeover by Vivendi if they keep making asscreed.

Pretty much.
All good ones will leave and will never be heard of again, usually because of lack of the name to their games and shitty budget.
But fanboys and children will still eat it up. I mean just look at Mass Effect Andromeda. This was giant shit but had name to it and fans of the series. It was top 1 in UK sales. No idea if other countries make any statistics like this.

Someone said about a week before Andromeda's launch that Bethesda will be dissolved and move their "talent" into EA Mobile

Didn't f4 sell well?

I think user means Bioware.

Well that would make more sense.

LOL

user it isn't nice to tell lies

Bullshit. I demand an archive link

dont joke like that user

It's fake.

nigga the guy probably doesn't retreat outside twitter and facebook.

I almost shit myself from laughter. Thanks user.

Dear god I hope they die sooner than later. The best thing that can happen is the Duke IP being bought by 3D Realms again and then given to Slipgate Studios, which will never happen. Gearbox is run by a greedy ass clown and will sell everything to the highest bidder.

Besides Duke what else does Gearbox own that is of any worth?

Actually now that I think about it, rather than 3D Realms, the IP being bought by Devolver sounds even be better. 3D Realms is like a lower quality Devolver anyway.

Literally Whymst've'd

well, i thought it was fun.

Surprised nobody talked about Obsidian much these days.

This thread is for the still-living.

That means you get the crate for free.

The Borderlands IP has sold more than Uncharted, if anything Gearbox will just be brought out by 2K/Take 2, the company that publishes those very profitable Borderlands games.

Here's one that will actually be dying out, I wonder who will buy it's corpse for pennies.

People like you are the reason we can't have nice things.
Those games are the golden fucking standard of the "modern shooter" family of FPS.
They're still the best games GAMEPLAY WISE that ever came out in that category.
Hell Crysis is also still the best technical environment there ever has been.

After that they went weird you know why?
CONSOLES GAMING
They smelled money, stopped developing pc games and developed consoles games (then ported on PC), which rebuked the handful hardworking guys that had actual talents (as usual) who went on separate projects (most of them were poached by an architecture start up, which is what amazon bought for a couple of billions IIRC), went from a writer with input of the guys making the game to a hired big name for PR with a writer team that smell it's own farts (which lead to the garbled insanity of a plot of Crysis 2 and 3), etc, etc… By the time of Crysis 3 there was no one left from the original Crysis.

It's classic shekel making sequel syndrome.

If not this [current year] it'll be the next one.
They fucked up once with Aliens: Colonial Marines (instead of giving the money to the studio working on it they took most of it to make a Borderlands game), then they fucked up a big time with Battleborn (all their Gearbox money went into it).
Now they're so desperate that they made a remaster of a game that no one asked for and added the Duke Nukem character as a bonus.

Don't forget being so stupid they nearly (and still might) partnered with a known scam artist to release said remaster.

When a fucking youtube personality knows more about the industry than you do as a dev/ublisher, it's time to walk away.

The goyim knows!
Shut it down!

I don't give a fuck about it but I just want to point out
So literally 5*30

Fuck man, I got an image of Randy sitting in front of his computer with Holla Forums open "what are they saying about me now !!!!"
"argh goddamn it, im not a cuck !, I NEVER watched when my wife fuck the other guys !!! ARGGGGH"
"ITS CALLED BATTLEBORN, BATTLE BORN B A T T L E"

Gearbox won't survive unless it uncucks itself and ditches shit like Burch.

Duke and Borderlands are valuable IP, they will be purchased if Gearbox either dies or needs to raise money to stay alive.

You either die young and beloved or live long enough to become a zombie.

We all know that cuck is too busy prepping the bull to read hatechan.

I want to fuck claptrap

How embarrassing

Burch already fucked off to Riot Games a long time ago, get with the times grandpa

Aren't they the devs for AssFaggots?

Randy really needs to get his act together. At first it was hilarious watching him continously stick his foot in his mouth with all the terrible decisions he made after Battleborn's launch, now its so baffling how a company can be so retarded and still survive for a year.

The worst part is them sitting on the Duke Nukem license and doing literally nothing with it.

Crysis 1 was a great game, perfect for 2007, a year of brand new, innovative ideas for the market. It was 2008 when everyone tried to make CoD clones that eventually ruined the series as they tried to do that.

League of Legends, yes
Also saw this on the Steam Forums

Don't worry, they will sell it to Bethesda and we will get yet another high quality Todd Howard remake of an FPS classic. :^)

archive.is/RPGc2

hello darkness my old friend

The worst part is that Bethesda would probably give the Duke Nukem license more love than what Gearbox has done in the 6 or so years that they've owned it.

Savage as fuck

I hope Duke Nukem gets sold to somebody competent.

I'd like a new Duke game that tries to play it straight, no more stupid bullshit memes and things of that nature, a movie reference here and there would be okay but I just want them to play a straight Mad Max-esque story about a hardass superhuman dude who fights aliens and saves babes. No more writing him like a stupid fucking nerd. He needs more Ash Williams and Brock Samson, less Claptrap. Bring back the maturity of this character. Don't write him for stupid 13 year olds.

yeah, 5 Below is a dollar store that is instead a $5 store. Didn't realize they even had a web presence.
This means Blunderborn is now officially in the same category as those plastic tennis rackets you could buy to stick on your Wiimote.

You could get a big handful of candy at a dollar store for $5, and it'd probably be a much better purchase.

I wont be suprised if I one day walk into a 99 cent store and see a whole row of Battleborn copies

I'm going to build my shed out of battleborn copies as it is cheaper than wood.

We don't have Musketeers where I live, what are they like?

They're shit.

Well that's a shame.

Be realistic, you'd have cheap plastic cases and CDs. You should make a desk or coffee table of them instead

Yeah but then battleborn would be in my house.

They have a fluffy, sort of creamy filling that's about the same consistency as marshmallow fluff, but chocolate flavored. It contrasts with the external coating of chocolate which is harder than the soft inside.

It's perfectly edible, but it's not exactly my candy of choice.

Am I the only one that thinks ohenry bars aren't great but nougat is okay?

Apparently, they've pulled out of the deal. Naturally, idiots are taking it as "GEARBOX LISTENED, GUYS" and not "Randy Pitchford has a history of thinking that a business contract is invalid if it doesn't personally suit him." See: the cripple he fucked over so he could rerelease Duke Nukem 3D himself.

can i get some more info in the duke 3d fuck up?

Basically, this dude had a legacy agreement with 3D Realms to port Duke 3D to modern systems. Gearbox brought him in for consultation work for their version, and somehow, this magically made the legacy contract null and void, according to Pitchford, and now all versions of his port are unavailable. Because Gearbox wanted to release a port with Big Bang Theory references, yay.
Oh, and don't get me started on them making Jon St. John calling people "gamer pussies" if they didn't like it.

Sounds like a swell guy that everyone likes because he plays by the rules

Yep, and in classic Randy fashion, he pulled damage control by insulting people on Twitter.

And he is still employed?

Well, he owns the company.

So, not for long then?

At least until the Borderlands cash dries up.

Speaking of Gearbox there's some interesting news about the whole G2A scandal

Makes me wonder how Randy had no fucking clue about G2A, he's not just the head of a dev studio, he now runs a publishing company now.

JUST BURCH MY SHIT UP

how long until retarded borderlands fans stop buying borderlands and gearbox will die? that the only series that keep them afloat.

Dunno, didn't pre sequel sell pooly?

It was supposed to have a giant pool of DLC's post launch like Borderlands 2 did and it only got one. That's probably an indicator.

When children stop being a thing

who gives a fuck about gearbox? Or any dev studios for that matter? There's not a one of them worth supporting

We give a fuck about Gearbox in the same sense you'd give a fuck about a thumbtack in your chair.

It's called nougat, my friend. Basically a Snickers bar without the peanuts and caramel. Whatchamacallit is the superior junk food wrapped in plastic chocolate.

Because they're squandering their IPs with shitty executive decisions and shit development, not to mention pissing in everyone else's corn flakes and outright stealing. Remember that Borderlands 2 only exists because the money Sega paid to Queerbox was "re-appropriated" into BL2's development instead of the Alien game Sega was hiring them to make. Pansy Bitchfraud denies it vehemently, but since the yakuza have a massive stake in Sega, you'll not see him set foot in Japan.