Where are all the good monster games?

Where are all the good monster games?

Rereading Heresy Spider/Magical Girl, Abyss Magic Witch Shining Kumoko Chan! makes me have a hankering for an rpg where i can play as a monster.

The closest game i have experienced would be Tokyo Jungle where its real world animals in a Tokyo where humans have vanished. But its a bit arcadey for my tastes

are there any rpgs where you can play a monster instead of a person?

Postan the first chapter as an example.

Other urls found in this thread:

bato.to/comic/_/comics/kumo-desu-ga-nani-ka-r17709
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Stop trying to sneak discuss /a/ on Holla Forums.

You say that like you dont want this too, in the world of dokapon kingdom and princess maker it must exist somewhere!

YEAH! FUCK OFF!
/tg/'s manga thread has been talking about Heresy Spider for months. Come hang with us.

Who do you think told them about it, dungeon meshi and hakumei to mikochi?
But damn it i want a monster based etrian odyssey or wizardry.

how long is the manga?

Still running with near-weekly updates, last I checked. It's based on a series of light novels, and from what I understand, the manga hasn't even hit the half-way point yet.

how many chapters does it have translated currently?

Nowhere near, shes not even evolved to her assassin build yet.

I got u fam
>bato.to/comic/_/comics/kumo-desu-ga-nani-ka-r17709

you're lucky I've already got a site!

Shit OP, the only thing that comes to mind is Dark Cloud 2's monster transformation, and that thing's the most useless and underdeveloped feature in the whole game. This manga looks neat though, thanks.

That or a hentai visual novel adventure game so far from what i know. But knowing Nippon some user knows of some fucking random Sega Saturn game time forget that can sate this thirst.

Haha, I have just read the manga and marathoned the source light novel (the translation is a bit shit or maybe the writing is just a bit subpar). It is becoming a very popular genre with re:monster, TDG, death march and Dungeon Seeker as key highlights (the latter is better here, both are in manga now).

I downloaded and have started replaying dwarf fortress after reading it modding an evolution path as a cave spider onwards. Dwarf fortress adventure mode is your best bet OP but a bit hard to get into.

An all monster party in Final Fantasy Legend on GBx comes to mind. Those are technically part of the SaGa series… Didn't SaGa Frontier on PS1 have a monster character who evolved and changed by eating other monsters?

The "reborn in a fantasy world with rpg mechanics" trope is massive in japan right now, but most of it is "born god tier bishie fucboi with a harem who is the best at everything forever".
Kumoko was put here just to suffer and earned everything the hard way so shes the best.

Then again its also a shame theres no game that takes inspiration from the "demon kind is the protagonist trying to reform a corrupt world" trope of equal popularity.

But sadly things like Mauyuus' "HAHA, TIME FOR FARMING ECONOMICS AND CIVIL ENGINEERING!" fantasy is like 3 compounded niches of autistic niches with no profit to it i would imagine.

They fear the samurai.

I consider it a genre, it really is huge. re:monster started out good but got a bit shit.

Dungeon seeker is worth a read but incredibly edgy. The author has some massive hangups about women I think.

it is very easy to write those styles as you can show character progression and judgment through numbers. I might do a cyoa in future with it in future and go through a whole novels worth..

I'd think an mmorpg with evolution ranks for monster players and even a heritage system to reincarnate as your descendents would be very popular. The ideas for it are all there already. DF is the game closest that I have ever gotten to them however. I don't ever go in DF threads or talk to the community but I'm sure you will be able to find some good tips on playing as monsters. Hardest bit is generating a small playable world with a great history.

I would enjoy an mmo-lite where its some game where you spawn randomely as a spider or monkey or orc or something and like digimon world your actions make you evolve and dying has you reborn at lvl.1 and you carry some abilities.

I think mechanics for death to lvl1 will always be hard in MMOs. Check out hell rising though maybe… it is a browser mmo where you play as zombies, humans or vamps. its nor a great game but a very good step in the right direction.

there could be great monster games made from this genre though. it'd be interesting for players to choose races that they their kicked for the first 50levels but dominate after. e.g goblines evolution vs humans more static evolution

unfortunately if a game was ever made in this genre it will be so chock full of micro transactions.

There's Elona, you can start as a snail but it sucks. You can also fairy, golem and lich, those are cool but less monstery.

In project gorgon you can permanently turn into some animals and this gives you exclusive movesets, I remember pigs, spiders, deers and cows.

You kidding me?
Deus Ex Level up saves her like 20 times for no damn reason (and then she gets pride and things rocket into shit), and Mauyuu's Economics is completely unhinged and follows no cohesive advancement.

Lich rpg is also a rad idea.

making the monster sympathetic is great to fuck with people.

Compared to some other genuine trash in the 'other world reincarnation' genre? They are far from perfect but there is some real REAL bad shit.
The worst i read was literally "guy is beaten by his dad, dies and is reborn with the power to make girls his slaves he can abuse for power to take down all the men who dare to challenge him.

There is chuuni shit and then there is "if this guy was western he would be making this into a comic for deviantart" tier edge beyond edge.

The entire genre is just a shit genre, the issue is that you want to drive advancement, but showing the very long grind would be slow. So what do you do? Make a stupid shortcut that completely invalidates the entire advancement!

And yeah, while they're good comparatively, it's like winning the special olympics

That paladin did nothing wrong and your GM is shit, but this probably never happened to begin with.

Some people accidentally become beings of pure negative energy by accident.
Also this raises the question of phylactery and the like.

Paladin pls go.

Dungeon Keeper and Overlord. There was this indie cRPG released recently that had monsters and shit you could recruit, but I forgot the name.

Do Vampires count? They're monsters, right? :^)

No, but the immortal loli vampires appeal to monsters not down with ara monstergirls.

In Hollow Knight you play a bug, a ghost, a ghostbug, in a dead/dying kingdom of bugs. There's at least one charm in the game that lets you metamorphose into something else.

Sounds pretty buggy though.

lifelike texture ;_;

I love the idea of playing as a monster. If only because that scenario would remove the possibility of having to play a generic human with shitty hair color.

Would be even more fun if there was a full party of monsters and you have to manage equipment between practical in the field and scaring the shit out of villagers in town.

I can't see your point

Nevermind I'm exhausted and lack reading comprehension.

go take a naps user

Reminder that Kumoko turns to absolute shit once she turns into a goddess.

Maou Shoujo Ariel chan is the her kawaii side.

Burn this thread to the ground.
Who cares? Burn them to the last anyway!

EDF pls go and stay go. Maybe if you did your fukken job right for once you would keep pests under control.

Is "reality" supposed to be worse than "expectation"?

Depends how badly you want to enter the bone zone.

Every single one in the genre goes down the same path… The better ones take a hunter x huntrer approach where they just keep throwing in more powerful villains, like that example though they are still not very good.

It is the easiest shit to write for because you can do fantasy with no back story of character with the idea they were "just a highschool kid!" The trials and tribulations are easy to factor in where they either "want to get stronger than X or need to hide their god like level while they abuse mean people of lower levels". Any difficulty overcome or slowdown in flow can be overcome with easy time skip and or shortcut asspull. They all tend to develop a power tripping vibe fairly early on to appeal to the loser reader base. No world building is needed as it is just conveyed on the first page as "they are in a mmorpg esque fantasy world :D let's see how their knowledge of being bullied in highschool and playing video games will help them use exploits to make a cheat character :P"

Additionally the translations are so bad you feel retarded reading these genres on an isolated level. One could almost certainly make an AI that could write top stories in this genre as it is such a simple formula and the competition is generic and stupid.

Slime Datte had a good translation that went full DUWANG by midway.

and then you have /a/'s darling 'Overlord' while they shit on Log Horizon, thats a strange one.

o.k I've read I am a spider, so what and they ruined it with the mmo gimmick

Behead those who insult Kumoko!

Now go read Hakumei to Mkiochi.

And I would still bone it.

no thanks

You can't go back from maximum overpleb.

Does it rattle your richards?

bitch I want spiders doing spider things, can't you feel this feeling of mine?

It's stops being generic Isekai shit and becomes somewhat interesting then.

I am getting a boner.

AARRUGGHHH!

fucking trash, why is it that japs never commit.
"yeah i am making a novel about a spider girl but in the end she ends up with human features because go home gajin piggu"

When you get to hell, tell them the EDF sent you!

YOU ARE JUST A SHITTY MOBILE INFANTRY ANYWAY!

Theres a twist to it
She was never human to being with, its a spider reborn as a fantasy spider who thinks they are human trying to be human and only when they gain human form do they learn they are just a household japanese spider thats gone beast mode

Your screams chill me to the marrow!

just because you're scared of us doesn't mean we can't have nice things

Oh no! i'm super scared!

i'm pretty sure that's not the case, i mean it can't be

Ravager bitch, please.

Take your spiderloli and leave!

There's pretty much two common problems with these reincarnation novels, either they inevitably succumb to a point where the protagonist gets like 50 level ups/stat boosts in a chapter, or that whatever unique power they get becomes OP because insert bullshit here rather than a creative means of solving problems and or fights because of course you get to be a special snowflake because wish fulfillment. And then there's shit like Log Horizon and Overlord where you get people who already have overwhelming power and at least then it's easy to see whether it becomes good character interaction or a stream of endless bullshit and "fights."

There is a clear distinction between the kinds of stories in where the deeper aspects of things like cooking or accounting are explored in a fantasy context and are fun and interesting because there's a context that you can understand and then there's "LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY FANTASY WORLD THERE'S SKILLS THAT MAKE'A SOULS AND THEY GET RECYCLED BECAUSE HALF OF IT'S DESTROYED BECAUSE BACKSTORY OH AND ALL THE REINCARNATORIIOSSSSSS GEEEEETT SPECIALLLLLLL POWEEEEEERRRRRRRRRS BECAUSE THEY'RE SPECIALLLLL BUT THYR JUST ORDNARY PELPELL DONT U SEE!!!!!!!"

That is in fact the case.

keep your "spider"loli and stay

You explain where this filthy crossbreed came from then monkeyfucker!

well damn

kinda reminds me of adventure threads only without the engaging aspect and fun

listen I was drunk and she was dressed like a slut

well if she was just a normal spider doesn't that make everything she did empty?

Which is why Dungeon Meshi and Hakumei to Mikochi are the best. Only a foul brigand would dispute this.

She did alright.

I couldn't stop reading this manga.

It's like the person writing the 'reincarnated in a video game' has actually played a video game in their life, it's weird.

cute spiders are top tier

Isn't everything we do empty user?

Hakumei to Mikochi is wonderful. If there's anything I'd want to do a DnD setting on, it's tiny inchlings and fairies.

/tg/ was working on a mouse guard homebrew for it.

Don't baelnorns sometimes lack a phylactary?

Yeah, but you had to be chosen by the elf gods for it or something dumb IIRC

DCSS
PosChengband

roguelikes in general, but poscheng has best variety