Memesona 5

lol, I thought you casuals said that fatlus was an "okay" localization company?

imgur.com/a/87E1M

Other urls found in this thread:

imgur.com/a/87E1M
personacentral.com/chinese-interview-atlus-ceo-naoto-hiraoka-persona-asian-market/
archive.is/rVH0s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

nobody says that, they're as bad as xseed and nisa. go back to reddit.

what do you mean? I remember seeing alot of atlus fanboys on 8/v/ sucking their dick.

Yeah, but it came out on the PS4 so I have to pretend it's good.

I don't.

cause you're a newfag. go back to reddit.

says the person who posted a link to reddit's image host on a board where you can have 5 images per post.

I had no idea imgur is an associate to reddit.

I was under the impression XSEED were pretty good about localizing games and kept the shitposting to a minimum

They are, he's just memeing or a contrarian.

….

This is fake, it has to be.

Most of those are just basic "casual" dialog I'm pretty sure the characters used in Nipponese (given they're teenagers). There's like… 2 memes in there (You Jelly, Wassup).

the protagonists in 3 and 4 were teens. where were the memes?

I'm going to put in a serious effor into learning nip after I get this game. FUCK the western localization industry.

nuAtlus apologist

pedobear jokes or just a joke about bear? because JUST a JOKE about a bear is NOT a meme.

Maybe if you weren't so retarded you wouldn't jump to such conclusions.

The localization had Kuma (Teddie) make bear puns in almost every conversation with him. The Japanese script had none of that.

bear puns is not a meme. bear jokes are not an internet joke that was created on the internet.

Can you please state the definition of the word meme for the class? Thank you.

You want the modern or classic definition?

No I need proof of this.

a friend in my discord chat was playing this and he posted this.

I need a video, because that shit is too unbelievable.

I recall the "you jelly?" and "wassup, persona" screenshots being real, so this being the case too doesn't seem far-fetched.

You guys do remember that it was a WoW thing originally right? Which is more likely than not what they are referencing by making their stereotypical "not like the other girls" Gaymer-gril character say that

Atlus has been cancer cince P3

The "emphysema" line is making a play on words sounding alike that was probably very similar in spirit to the original Japanese line. The original probably had some Japanese word in there that sounded similar to the name, but the word would mean nothing to most English speakers so they changed it to an English word that sounds like the name. Short of outright localizing the names entirely, the only other option would have been to include the original Japanese word, which wouldn't have the same impact. I don't have a problem with that one.

And most of those lines I have no clue what issue I'm even supposed to be taking, like
Am…am I supposed to be angry that they're talking like stereotypical teens? I'd imagine the original Japanese text has them speaking like stereotypical Japanese teens too.

Now, the "You jelly?" line, the "The World," line, the "Wassup Persona," line, etc., yeah, those are shit. Arguably even the "kek" shit, though I'd have to see the original text because maybe she does actually use a Japanese text speak like "wwwww" in her original line.

There are legitimately bad localization choices made in this game, I'm just not sure this is the best collection of them.

lel

That's exactly what I was thinking, and I'm sure that if they hadn't made them talk like that, one of the first complaints people would have had is that the cast doesn't talk like teenagers. Just like the Mass Effect tranny thing, this shit just proves gamers don't have the first fucking clue what they want because they always hate it when you give them what they ask for.

And the part about "the world" has to do with the fact that persona is essentally a jojo rpg based in highschool. Hell, persona 4 was DIU but with demons instead of stands. Im kinda half and half with both hating and forgiving a jojo refrence.

this is how old men THINK what every teenager talks like. THAT's the problem.

This. None of this is worth more than a groan.

So you have no response to I assume. Then fuck off.

This. There are issues with the translation, but for the most part (considering the fact that they had to have gotten this done in under 6 months…) I'm surprised it turned out as well as it has.

1 : an idea, belief or belief system, or pattern of behavior that spreads throughout a culture either vertically by cultural inheritance (as by parents to children) or horizontally by cultural acquisition (as by peers, information media, and entertainment media)

2 : a pervasive thought or thought pattern that replicates itself via cultural means; a parasitic code, a virus of the mind especially contagious to children and the impressionable

3 : the fundamental unit of information, analogous to the gene in emerging evolutionary theory of culture
- meme pool (n.) : all memes of a culture or individual
- memetic (adj.) : relating to memes
- memetics (n.) : the study of memes

4 : in blogspeak, an idea that is spread from blog to blog

5 : an internet information generator, especially of random or contentless information

(Etymology : meme : derived from the Greek mimëma, 'something imitated', by Richard Dawkins in 1976)
Santa Claus is a more persistent meme than weasel frosting.

Yeah, but I can almost guarantee you that the Japanese developers (who are also old men) are just as out of touch with how actual Japanese teens talk with each other as the localizers are with how English teens speak with each other.

I legitimately have a feeling that this is simply a case of dated Japanese teenspeak being localized into dated English teenspeak, with both the original developers and the localizers being completely clueless as to how youths actually talk to one another.

404: problem not found.

lets all just pat atlus on the back you guys! they got it done in under 6 months like a company should but other companies DON'T put shitty memes into their product

So "meme" does not mean "internet joke made on the internet" according to you.

Fuck off.

Regardless, you're posting on an IMAGEboard. What the fuck compelled you to link that shit instead of POSTING THE GOD DAMN IMAGE.

That said, you should never trust translations by companies like atlus. Either get a proper, verified fan translation or learn nip.

What's the original Japanese?

I will be sure to remember that.

A lot different, Futaba speaks extremely backwards time to time instead of saying senpai she say paisen

There were some good comparisons between the English and Japanese versions of Fire Emblem, and those showed some pretty egregious changes and/or writing. I'll need something like that to believe these translations/localizations are bad.

I don't know anything about Persona 4, but let me take a random guess at something: when Kuma (Japanese Teddie) speaks, does he end his sentences with some sort of cutesy interjection or tic? I'm not sure what noise a bear makes, but if he were a cat character he would be ending every sentence with "nya" or some equivalent. I'm guessing this is the case, because nothing else would prompt a person to write that many single-topic puns. There is no way to translate those interjections without the character sounding insane, so most localizations opt for the equally annoying, but culturally relatable, puns. Unless you're doing something super niche like Akiba's Trip, you really can't leave those in.

Yeah because that's better.

Well, at least it's clear that nothing was lost in translation. NuAtlus is bad from the Nip roots up.

Yeah, in the end it's really hard to tell how much Atlus changed in the localization unless we have the original text to compare it to. I can't legitimately say, "This is a bad translation/localization," until I see what it was changed from.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK YYYYYYYYYOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

That was in the original though unless you were surprised Morgana was a girl.

This line comes up RIGHT AFTER the token LooneyToons character Morgana actually transforms into a car.
That makes sense in context.

You uppity anons are desperate to make this game worse than it is. It's embarrassing.

alright NUfatlus shill

Imagine how much worse that third option could have been.
Imagine how much angrier you could be.

Spoiler alert, they had the game sent out to reviewers in February. 5 months simply isn't enough time to translate a game of Persona 5's size.

They never changed anything but rather they delayed the game so they could release it in a new fiscal quarter. "Improving the translation" was a giant lie

I'll be honest, this line makes me angrier than 95% of what else I've seen. That's just plain bad writing and editing, there's no reason to have something that stilted in the final release.

Fatlus fans will eat any shit their overlords will throw at them.
Hey, at least this time they get dual audio while taking it up the ass

They were rushed to hell and back. To put things into perspective, it took 15 months for XSEED to translate Trails of Cold Steel II (they had started the translation when they announced the game at E3 2015), and that was only because they managed to be faster than they expected. They originally were aiming for a Nov/Dec release instead of September.

Now, imagine a game that's similarly large/text heavy, with just as much if not more text/voice acting, and try to get that done in 1/3rd of the time. I'm frankly impressed with how well it turned out all considered.

Looks like one of those South Asia Robo-translations

messaged atlus usa on facebook. I suggest people who are pissed and tired of this shit, find some way to contact them. this is ridiculous.

"I am sick and tired of bad localization. your persona 5 localization is horrid. is this how you treat your fans? delay the game to get the text localization "right" and then you just add crappy memes and shit up the script? imgur.com/a/87E1M and other VERY HORRID "localization" lines. improving the localization my ass. I am NOT giving you people money. I'm tired of this shit. instead I will buy the game used months down the line. bluntly, FUCK YOU for helping to ruin my japanese games."

Yeah, because Xseed can be compared to a company the size of Atlus.
Right?

This, I have no dog in this race since i'm not a pursowner fan but this is just straight up shit, Xseed puts out quality stuff considering the lesser amount of people they have and the time that goes into it, Atuls can't even give a decent translation of their flagship title? C'mon now, aren't they a subsidiary of SEGA? There's no excuse.

I'm sure that the translators feel bad about the localization too.

Translation team sizes tend to be similar, actually. It's usually considered better to have less folks on translation/editing to make sure that the game sounds consistent if nothing else.

Even with a larger team (which I think they must've gone with) it would still be impressive to get everything ready in 5 months. Keep in mind that the text translation would have to be ready months in advance so the dub could happen. So for the text it was probably closer to 3 months, editing and all.

If you knew a damn thing about translation you'd realize that the poor translators probably didn't get a lick of sleep.

is that why they translated it like dogshit?

They treated it like dog shit because Atlus Japan sabotage the English release so they have an excuse to never localize another Atlus game. Asia brings more money than the west now and they said that Taiwan and Korea are top priority.

user, what the fuck are you saying, how much is Atuls paying you, and where can I get your job?, I bet I can shill a hell of a lot better than you can. This is the most pathetic defense of bad translation that I've ever seen.

WHAT?

That's the first I've heard of this, is there evidence from an interview where they say this?

How much are they paying you?
Holy shit, you're even contradicting yourself

personacentral.com/chinese-interview-atlus-ceo-naoto-hiraoka-persona-asian-market/

They didn't translate it like dogshit on purpose. You're seriously out of touch with reality if you think that's actually what happened.

I'm not shilling for Atlus, this is just coming from the perspective of someone that wants to get into translation and has done the math. Lets say it takes you 100 hours to beat Persona 5, well, it's gonna take much, much longer to translate that text. Most folks aren't going to SEE all of the text in Persona 5, either. No matter how you slice it, 3 months to translate the text is rushed as all hell.

No shit user, you don't intentionally make a shitty project when you rush it, but the end result is shit for the consumer, at the end of the day, a rushed project is usually a shitty project, I don't care how hard you worked on it

IS THIS WHAT SEGA'S DOING TO SINCE THEY OWN THEM? IF NOT WHY ARENT THEY STOPPING THIS?

Nigger, Imgur was made by Reddit, for Reddit.

Sega can't do shit because they too got a taste of the Asian money. Y0 and Y6 both sold 500k in Asia. Aside from that Atlus is considered independent from Sega with just taking funds and slapping the Sega logo when its needed.

It's not really surprising, given the way that japanese games are received in the west as being "problematic" and that translating into korean from japanese is relatively trivial compared to english.

3 months = 91 days
91×24=2184
2184÷100=21.84
They had 22x of the time
And thats if they didn't have the game with them before the Japenese release.

You're comparing AtlusUSA with fucking Xseed

They weren't working 24 hours a day. It's probably closer to 1000 hours.

Is that you, Anthony?

Expecting them to be working 24 hours per day on translation is a bit much, don't you think?

They probably averaged 10 or 11 at most, starting with 8 hour days and going to 12 hour days near the end.

That will still equate to 12x

Reminder to contact atlus usa if you're upset

it seems like the thread is starting to go down even with replies now. how do I archive Holla Forums threads again? I haven't been here in awhile.

You can always just plug it in to archive.is.

i.e. Here you go: archive.is/rVH0s

thanks mate

How the fuck are you supposed to do that for a PS4 game?

It's also a PS3 game, isn't it?

yeah

The same applies to PS3 games. I can see a fan patch working for emulated games, but not something you do with a game disc on an unmodified console.

lol cuck

pleasantly surprised
think I'll buy the game.
I rather liked the P3 and P4 dubs.

いつあなたが学びますか?