HEROES OF MIGHT AND MAGIC THREAD

HD EDITION NOT ALLOWED!

So anons I recently got back into this game, and I am relatively new. I find these games fun despite the flaws, but there is something confusing me about how you unlock the campaigns. You see I completed all three campaigns in the second picture, and received a check mark for each, but upon completing them I realized the game was only counting one. Do I have to complete them all back to back, or can I have a save at the end of each campaign, and complete them all at once? Craghack is best heroe.

I've been playing this a lot lately, since it was a PS2 launch title, the graphics are pretty dated but the game itself is a lot of fun. I highly recommend it.

They could have picked a better title to be honest.

I cycle this and AOE2. Currently playing AOE2. Both games are sufficiently deep to hold up 20 years later.

The modding community for Heroes 3 is still going strong. Hota was breddy gud and apparently someone is working on a mod that is sort of a port of HoMM2 into the HoMM3 engine.

The Oasis town that someone is working on seems neat too, I just hope it will all be joined together into one project because it would work well with the stuff in Hota.

I think there are also someone working on re-writing WoG to make it more up to date and running better.

Dragon dildos are timeless, user. There is nothing you can't do with a dragon dildo.

Bumping for HOMM 5.5 and Horn of the Abyss.
Seems like the only people invested in modding the games these days are russians.

Another point about H5.5 and Crag Hack.
In Heroes 5 the Stronghold is primarily an Orc faction. All heroes are some sort of orc. Except for these two added with the mod. Crag Hack doesn't give a shit if it's orcs or whatever. And while every hero gets an individual super special ability with gradual growth and percentages, Crag Hack just gets more Attack. AND HOW.

Is 5 any good?

Artstyle and setting is the most generic WoW shit possible but the city screens are kind of cool, AI is slow and lobotomized (patches exist to fix this), excellent deeper skill system and greater unit variety, also more cheese but that isn't really bad per se. Music still P.A.Romero and as good as usual. Pretty good, at the very least worth trying.

Your question seriously confuses me OP, how did you fuck up so much that the game doesn't count campaigns you've done as cleared?

I just used a search engine. Here is what happened. I thought that every one of the quests missions was actually a campaign with quests, but it's more like the entire thing is a campaign. I would complete one of the stories for a character, but then basically start a new campaign, instead of reloading from the save file. I thought it would still count, but it has to be done through a continuous save file.

I'm fine with this.
I hope those patches do the job. Grinding through mindless hordes of heroes isn't fun. If it's anywhere close to homm 1 and 2's AI it's ok.
Sounds alright. Are there any good mods?

I thought it was shit. A step up from IV in that it recreated a lot of the elements we loved from III, but they fucked it up in so many other ways. The "muh 3D" autism made the UI extremely tiresome to use. Luckily you could disable the spinning city screens, but the adventure map is a confusing, untidy heap of garbage.

I didn't like the factions at all either.

The unofficial AI patch makes the AI play faster and smarter, absolutely necessary or you'll die of boredom waiting for AI to finish its turn. I've never played 5.5, it sounds like a more of everything mod in the tradition of WoG (does also include the AI patch). Also keep the skill wheel open when you play, no need to autistically plan out hero progression but there's a lot of hidden perks that only show up when you meet their requirements and it's nice to know about that & hero skill learn chances.

Oh I get it, you thought that just the first mission was the whole campaign?

Which one is best, aside from homm3?

Should we talk about HoMM 7, or you all are not in the mood for drinking bleach tonight?

Maybe tomorrow.

but y

That picture is a jewish lie

French lie.

Mainly because it doesn't include any of the expansions. Just the base game.

It's inferior to the HD mod in every way.

Can we also make this thread about sharing our favorite music from the HOMM series?
Cause holy fuck the music in these games were beyond amazing.

Here's a vid of one of the composers playing some of the themes from the series on paino.

I love you for this

You fucked up.
You're supposed to save after every scenario that you win.
When you finish a campaign you save and get a mark for it. Make sure you don't leave the menu that offers you to pick the next one that you want to play. If you do and come back to it you will see that the mark is gone.
The game does not automatically save your progress. Obviously this is not an issue when you finish the Restoration chapter and move on to the next one.

I'm playing the necro campaign myself right and holy fuck is it incredible.

The campaign is decent, in my opinion.
I still haven't finished the expansions yet but I hear they wrap the story up very neatly.

Playing it for the regular skirmish is waste though because the AI takes ages to finish its turn, so 3 wins in that department.
It also has some problems with unit sizes, their placement on the field and the 3D world map which you constantly need to fumble around with to hopefully not miss any resources.
A lot of people criticize the art, but if you liked Warcraft 3, you'll like HoMM5. There's also some very problematic content featuring objectified womynx.
The music ranges from fantastic to acceptable but nothing awful.

Overall, a very good game that gets a lot of bashing, both deserved and not.

I remember my dad renting this back then, the game kept crashing everytime the staff was assembled.

There was a Might and Magic movie you know?

I want to know is there any HoMM game past 4 that is worth a pirate? 4 is the only game I have an old physical copy of that I could never touch as a kid, and I don't know anything advanced at all.

T-thanks user.

Gameplay-wise it's quite good actually.

Story and world is absolute dogshit.

Shameful.

I did have it on expert for a long while. No liches, though.
Am I missing something?

Yes, that's why you get the GOG edition. That one has all the expansions, unlike the abomination from ubisoft.

You must be playing another mission then. In the other quests with sandro he gets a special armor, and cloak one of which makes his necromancy raise zombies/wights/liches depending on your skill level. I ended the final mission with 1400+ power liches, and that was on rook difficulty.

No, I haven't gotten to Sandro just yet.
He was mentioned in one mission about being captured or something.

Woe betide the idiot who captures a guy with 4500 power liches.

You're playing the base campaign then.

Sandro is playable in Shadow of Death, which is a prequel campaign that came with the second expansion.

HoMMV is fine as long as you can handle the Warcraft esque art direction and horrible story. The actual game play is quite fun but I'm bias towards it since it was my first HoMM. The story is an abortion and map editor is subpar but it does its due diligence as a HoMM game. HoMM6 and 7 aren't even worth the pirate imo, you're better off sticking to pre HoMM4 and maybe giving 5 a whirl.

i think its pretty pleasing to look at, on top of that

Liches are nice, but it's bloody hard chasing around 10 heroes with medium-sized armies all over a big map.

BLAAAAAAH

Story was complete shit tbh. Art is forgettable too. I've heard decent things about the gameplay but I tried playing a scenario with friends but we were all bored to tears and gave up. I don't remember much of the game myself either since I lost interest in the game before long too.

It just… didn't have that attention-holding quality. No part of it truly felt "fun" to me. I'd sooner recommend playing HoMM 2 or 3.

Then you get expert earth magic, and town portal.

Hey anons I have a question. How many times do we actually get to play as Sandro? I don't want to spoiler any maps. Also is it possible to get the special armor, and cloak he uses in some of the quick battles?

I can't believe I can't find any good sandro fan art. Like this picture here, what is up with that hair? I had to make my own little alteration to it.

This triggered my autism when I as a kid.

It made me mad to, since I didn't want to play as inferno.

skeleton fashion

It suffers from babbys first 3D syndrome. Non-functional eye candy showoff shit that makes the UI a mess. I mentioned before how the adventure map is a chaotic, untidy mess but let me now also add that the battle arena setup is even more retarded with the "block" system of unit size. HoMM4 started this shit. Although 3 used prerendered models, it managed to do so in an elegant way. In 4, everything looked plasticky and bleak in a way, and the battle arena changed perspective from profile to above, which is the gravest mistake they ever made! It ruined everything in that department. Might as well auto-combat all the way because it is untidy and not enjoyable to play.

HoMM3 and its hex grid was phenomenal in that it was tidy and you could think ahead.

This will never return now that Ubi controls it, so let us live in the past. HoMM3 has an active modding community. It has basically become integrated into Russian culture. I think Russians did HotA, which could easily pass for something made by 3DO back in the golden days.

I've come once again to evangelize, because Mage Knight Board Game (and Star Trek: Frontiers if you're looking to change the theme up) are incredible spiritual successors to the series. I know I say it in every thread, but people really deserve to know.

Fucking newfags

It's a wig.

Fucking newfag

if you can get through the goddam manuals and are prepared to fuck up rules a few times, yeah Mage Knight rocks

Get on my level, niggers. Also, checkem.

Okay I'm pissed. I just finished shadow of death, and the final one where you play as sandro is one of the worst parts of the campaign. The maps are small, boring, and at times simply just unfair. In the final mission I even ended up using one of the super powerful level 35 leaders(that I was able to defeat mostly by luck) to kill everything. It didn't help that I also used another leader to beat Melodia in the previous mission. I barely even used Sandro for the last 2 missions.

what is the best heroes might and magic game? is it number 3?

I think the consensus is either 3 or 2.