Nostalgia goggles: the thread

ITT: Post games that looked far better the first time you remember playing them.

Undertale

None, all the GOOD games I remember playing years ago are still good. Hell, pic related got even better after more than ten years

Replayed a couple of PS ames while the board was down, Resident Evil 3 was one of them

I didn't remember the game was so easy

OP here, I meant strictly grafics wise

this game still looks really good actually, gameplay might be dated but god damn it highlights the importance of good textures

To be honest I don't actually remember being wowed by N64/PS1 era graphics

I for some reason have a tendency to remember fighting games as looking really good graphically when they come out, only to revisit them later snd notice them worse looking than I thought. MK9 in particular.

There was too much love put into this.

*for a GBA game.

My basketball-american, that game was the shit.

The battle music will forever be stuck in my head.

Good thing you clarified for us, OP, since we don't have ID's here anymore.

once you realize there's a dodge button the game becomes a joke.

I thought this was the peak of what PC graphics could do alongside Unreal 2004.

I can remember getting out of the crashed pod and looking at the grass and halo ring thinking it was amazing. Played the remaster and pressed the switch button to see the original graphics and it looked awful.

Rayman 2 for PS1.
Just overall looks less fantastic to me now then it did, maybe I'm just spoiled by the better PS2/Dreamcast graphics

I can't remember Gex having so much fog when I went back to play

I recently marathoned the games so I could put them in order of good to shit.
Superstar Saga > Bowser's Inside Story > Dream Team > Partners in Time > Paper Jam
Superstar was the most charming and funny of the series. Its combat was more basic compared to some of the others, but it was the first of the series so that's forgivable.
Bowser's Inside Story and the rest aren't as charming as the first game, but made up for having fun bosses. Surprisingly a lot of fetish material in this, though. Vore, macro, force feeding, and stuck are the ones I can list off the top of my head. Giant fights are slow and boring.
Dream Team, Luigi's Inside Story. Very easy to game over in dream fights because you can't use 1 up mushrooms. Return of boring giant fights. Turns the ranks introduced in BiS into passive perks instead of just higher end shop access.
Partners in Time was a boring hallway simulator that was too serious for its own good. Also crying baby noises.
Paper Jam took away stat picking on level up. So boring they give you the option to speed through all the cutscenes, but it doesn't go fast enough for it to matter. Battles are slower due to characters. Paper Mario seems to ruin everything he touches now, that's depressing.

I always get more nostalgic for TV and movies vs video games for some reason. Same with pop music. Maybe its because video games and pop music are both ultimately the same tier of shallow, formulaic media thats been played for nostalgia to death and back already

try the PC version

"Nostalgia" is a bullshit meme perpetuated by incompetent modern game developers in an attempt to trick you into accepting into their "taste is subjective" rhetoric and buy their games because they're just as good, you're just older and more bitter.

I went back and played my copy of croc about a year ago for the first time in a decade, and it was excellent, and miles ahead of any of the retarded garbage that comes out in the platform genre these days.

what the fuck dude
nostalgia and rose tinted goggles are a real phenomenon, sure it can be used in marketing, but if people know what the terms mean it's just that - a term.

if nostalgia is just a bullshit meme, then how come vaporwave made lodsofemone?

fuck you trips, the grafix are good since thecolours are really pretty, shame about the gameplay and the voice acting and the writing and the pace and the entire premise of fantasy surrounding a tank with legs

All RE games are easy which makes me confused whenever people call them survival horror or something with heavy resource management.

Shadow of the Colossus

Game was actually a boring piece of shit.

someone didn't get gud at the physics

Weird. I replay this game basically every year and everytime i love it.

I'm honestly surprised they never tried to remake LBA yet.

For me it's Hybris. I was trying to find out what that game was for ages and it just couldn't live up to my fuzzy memories of playing it. Crystal Hammer suffered the same fate. Pac-Mania still looks OK at least.

Magic Carpet still looks pretty nice.

I liked the open world parts, but the graphics don't qualify as good and half the levels are boring as shit design-wise.

There's a slightly updated port actually, with some dumb features.

Go back to Reddit

I used to play Croc on the PS1 without a memory card I also had the language set to Spanish even though I didn't know any of it, didn't even know how to change the language settings

I wouldn't use the term dated, but now that people aren't constantly ogling the pretty graphics and physics anymore, it becomes really apparent just how painfully mediocre the actual gameplay is.

The graphics were great for a 2001 console game, only thing that looked better was dead or alive 3.

yeah, it was better looking than every PC game at the time. Frankly PC gaming didn't catch up for years after the DC/PS2/Xbox/GC were out.

I remember not being able to find all the orbs and giving up.

The only thing I can't stand when I replay it is the music. I can feel the effects of the GBA's limitations and they start to annoy me.

That's a good list and I agree with it. That said, some features in the recent games like Bowser's Inside Story or Dream Team having replay boss fights in hard mode or minigames with rewards were a nice idea not present in earlier games such as Superstar Saga (not blaming this one too much, it was a good first attempt and still charming to play).
Hope we'll eventually get a game that feature Wario and Waluigi as partners or playable characters in their story.

That's HCE:A

Honestly Halo's engine is amazing and still gets love after all these years