Nier Automata Thr[E]ad

If our purpose is to shitpost and there are no threads left to shitpost in, then it is necessary that we create threads and make them good before we tear them down anew.

Please keep 2Butts to a minimum, we have already enough ass to last us a lifetime.

Ending E, holy shit. They may have faked the existence of other players, but realizing that other people were sacrificing themselves for my sake made me feel so guilty for losing three people that I couldn't help but delete my save despite not having completely completed everything. I hope I can be somewhat useful to at least one of you.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/ZIrIevgAvs8?t=11m59s
nierautomata.wiki.fextralife.com/[Top Secret] Model No.2
archive.is/BwhIL
twitter.com/johntv/status/849420533775048704
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Lost at 7 saves to get E
Didn't sacrifice mine
Judge me.

What was your reaction when you finally understood the game's cover?

Goddamnit I forgot there was a meme cover

Lost 5, didn't sacrificed either, but probably will after 100%
I will add it to my yearly playtrough cycle, a never ending spiral of life and death.

Anyway, the best game I played since…
The first full price title I payed for and didn't feel scammed after 5 hour since…
I honestly can't rememb[E]r.

>Can't think of Emil's second fight without tearing up
I just wanted 100%, I didn't ask for these feels.

Did you complete the fishing? What about enemy unit data?

When I see these stuff I feel somewhat alien for not seeing 2B in a sexual way. I didn't self destruct once in the whole game.

Almost reached the end of the E ending yesterday. For some reason my PS4 cannot connect to psn so I kept retrying and retrying and retrying until I've reached the QA TEAM section, where names can no longer be destroyed and it just floods the whole screen. How did I managed to get there is simply because it just gets easier if you get killed over and over for about an hour and a half. I decided to give up seeing I could no longer progress, despite suffering taunts for the past 1h30ish.

I guess that you really need to "connect" to "win".

pleb

I fucking THREW myself at the enemies that spawns right after Square Enix spawns from the top left and they would literally not die, but it looks like I should have let squeenix live a bit longer.

Fuck me I'm not going back.

Are there any archived discussions that I might have lost?

If not, could someone summarize it?

Fuck, just completed ending C, D and E last Sunday. The whole day high on self grown weed, starting on route C and after finishing route D and watching the credits, devastated on the death of practically everyone, the prompt of the pods came and asked if you want to save everyone. Sweaty hands, half crying I played the final hacking in some kind of hypnotic state. Guess this game mixed with my intoxication induced some kind of PTSD, as I could easily break out in tears watching this…

So did the "real" ending successfully trick you into become a communist?

Then you're missing an ending. How did you deal with all the boring elevators?

It's really not that hard user.

What are you talking about? All the communists in this game die.

Like any loading really.

The "real" ending where it asks if you, in a non-specific way, "Do you want to help the weak?" and then takes everything you've worked for just so that it can "help" people during the final credits.

I don't know if anyone talked about this but nines death is one of the most painful (to the character) deaths I've seen in a while. To be honest, all deaths in this game were pretty brutal, but this one really takes the prize, mainly considering the whole context it occurs in.

His Japanese screeching is a lot better, sounds much more frantic.

The philosophical references are there, but when asked, "Can I take everything you've worked for in order to "help" the less fortunate even if there's a chance they don't like you?" that's a little more than just a reference. The reason I didn't address the other references in my reply is because I was only asking about the ending. I'm not looking to do a full review. I just wanted to know the final decision.

Man I felt sick watching this scene, how he screams and struggles to remove the sword out of himself while flailing and falling back right on it. Thinking he empaled himself almost by accident.

I must be missing something… what's the meaning?

Also, given the whole Devola / Popola guilt programming thing, is it safe to assume that it's Devola singing the "Weight of the World song?

Just watched it, dunno, think both are solid, but I really would need to play the full game again to give a fair comparison.

Btw I thought this localization was amazing, I didn't feel cringe or any need to switch to japanese dub anytime, it's even more amazing if you consider that the main voice actors are somewhat novice in the profession.

(checked)
And was impaled by the same blade that impaled him several times over and over
If this isn't good writing I don't know what it is

Did you get Ending C or D? You will not get it otherwise.

I guess it's 2B carrying 9S home, after killing him once again before the game even takes place.

Exactly
Fucking ingenious

It seems this important point is only lightly implied during the game… took me some time to get it.

I totally disagree, after playing the game with japanese voices, listening to the English dub makes me cringe. Voice actors are very awkward and line delivery is very stiff. Idk if it's just because Japanese VAs are better or if it sounds better because I don't understand the language, but I've never thought an English VA in a game was particularly good, passable at best.

I got ending E, didn't think about

That being said that part never kind of made sense to me…. so 2B knew 9S from before and killed him a bunch of times?

I doubt that's the case because 2B hadn't met A2 before the events of the game. This scene is probably meant to be after the Copied City, when 2B actually does carry 9S back to the bunker.

Anyway I finished Ending E and I have some questions:

Since it was revealed that the entirety of project YorHa was created by the machine network as a way to force it to evolve under adversity, does that mean the androids themselves are created by the machines?

Why do the machines sometimes randomly spout human speech, seemingly nonsensically? Is it because the machine network has access to the human history and the lesser parts of the network are randomly accessing that database?

Why did the machine network attack Pascal's village?

Why did A2 kill the baby forest king? At the time I thought it was implied that she wanted to stop whatever plans the Forest Kingdom had, but in a flashback it's made clear that the Forest Kingdom was too stupid to rebuild their king and instead were just going to defend their baby king indefinitely. Additionally, it's proven when you control A2 in route C/D that she has minimal knowledge of machines, she didn't know machines could talk and has never heard of Pascal, which means she couldn't have known the forest king was significant at all. So was she just being edgy and killing machines randomly? How the fuck did she end up at the top of the castle without going through the guards? IT seems like her attack on the forest king was targeted, but for story reasons she couldn't have known he had any significance (which he really didn't anyway).

Where the fuck are the Replicants?

As he is the most advanced scanner model, he would eventually find out that humanity is already extinct. So it was 2B's job to kill him everytime, direct command from Commander. Maybe she killed him a hundred times already and he would just awake in a new body, thinking that they freshly meet. 2B already developed feelings for him, but would always be a stranger to him. youtu.be/ZIrIevgAvs8?t=11m59s
Can't figure out the embed…

I keep thinking this part of the story over and it's fucking stupid to me.

Why would they go through the process of designing and android partner to a dangerous model who kept finding out the truth so that the executioner could kill him when he found it out? Why not just stop making 9S models?

Because gathering information is a mighty weapon in wars.

He's practically Neo, without knowing it :^)

And that's why they have other scanners. But from the commanders point of view, the most important objective is to keep the fact of humanity's extinction a secret, so 9S's potential as a battlefield asset is outweighed by his danger. It makes more sense to just make more scanner androids and dispose of 9S.

Well, they have at least 8 others and I'm sure everyone has his private nB[E] android.

Why did the commander so easily admit the truth to 9S if that is the case? She says he would have found out eventually. So what, did she do it just to get it out of the way so they could get a fresh 9S in?

At this point YoRHa was already going down, everyone was infected with the logic virus. Don't forget that A2 was the prototype for the E-series and the real designation of 2B(attle) was 2E(limination). 2B is A2's succsessor.

Thread theme time!

>Why did the commander so easily admit the truth to 9S

9S was killed by 2B moments later

A lot of people were like "wtf why does 2B say no feelings allowed but then proceeds to cry about this nobody afterwards" when the demo was released, and I was very pleased to see how that was resolved later in the game.

The first two routes are mostly about setting up questions and mysteries, but it certainly pays off even if it takes some time. A lot of gameplay mechanics which initially pissed me off I learned to appreciate later on. In a sense it's also a good retard detector, as one can tell whenever someone decides to stop at Ending A because "it's an ending" or is unable to give a game some time. It certainly doesn't mean that Automata only gets good later on, it starts off good but ends excellently.

Remember what the machine network was doing. They were gathering data so they could create a more powerful generation of androids in order to create more powerful foes to test themselves against, which 9S' repeated Rampancy was a part of.

>Since it was revealed that the entirety of project YorHa was created by the machine network as a way to force it to evolve under adversity, does that mean the androids themselves are created by the machines?
The androids were leftovers from the human/Replicant era which the machine network repurposed for their own needs. Their main directive was 'destroy the enemy', but after wiping out their alien masters they ran out of enemies to defeat, leaving only the androids. Realizing that completely wiping out the androids would leave them without purpose, the machine network instead decided to nurture and create androids in order to create an artificial opposition so it could fight them in an infinite loop.

>Why did the machine network attack Pascal's village?
It was time to wrap things up, and send all resources (the scrap materials you see being transported in the resource units and the Tower) and data back to the moon for reconstructing a new generation of machines and androids. This also meant destroying Pascal's village through infecting the inhabitants with the red-eyes virus.

Yes, the whole point was that 9S was bound to be curious and eventually find the meaningless of YorHa, knowing that command made 2B accompany him in all of his missions and each time he discovered the truth she killed him and erased his memories, eventually she felt in love with him and started being purposely cold and enforcing no-emotions policy to not getting attached to him, although not being successful.

This wonderfully explains lots of supposed plot holes in the whole game. Why 2B starts talking about cycles and cursing God at the very start of the game? Is she just edgy? No, it's because of this. Why 2B gets so emotional with an android support despite barely knowing him? Is Yoko Taro a fucking drama queen? No, it's because of this.

Extrapolating a bit here, I think the whole point of Branch A was to illustrate the illusion 9S lives in, we play as 2B as a protagonist and him as a support, the whole plot is straightforward and it has somewhat a happy ending. While branch B you play things as they really happen, 9S IS the protagonist and 2B is the support, the missions are all about gathering data and investigating shit, 2B is there to punch shit up and kill him if things get out of control (she's also there because she loves him and even goes after him when he goes MIA), and at the top all that, branch B has 9S discovering the truth again, the ending is the same, but taking this into account it becomes a little bittersweet. And yes, there are moments that he's really the support like fighting the goliaths, but that just reinforces his illusion as a passive member of the group.

If he was so effective at gathering the information from the enemy, it's quite logical that he would have no difficult in investigating his own allies, and seeing that is his vocation he would feel inclined to do so, every time.

Yes, this was amazing.

YoRHa wasn't a plan by machines, it was set up by androids on earth left over after the last of the gestalts and replicants died out. The machines just found out about the program and used it to their own ends. Androids were originally human creations meant to try and keep civilization working while waiting for the gestalt project to run its course but once the project failed and the aliens and machines showed up they had to militarize, didn't do great, and eventually had to start project YoRHa to keep things going.

Pascals village getting attacked is just the network trying to clean up after its experiments and collect the data they produced in preparation for activating the tower and progressing to their next stage of evolution.

A2 is just randomly killing machines, that's all she cares about, she's kind of an underdeveloped character but that's just the way it is.

Replicants are dead and what's left of them is just a bunch of data on their genetics and shit on the moon server.

But it wasn't. He found out during the factory mission. The logic virus wouldn't happen until the next section of the game, and even she wasn't aware that was going to happen. But, I shouldn't poke too much at this plot hole. The game is good enough to let it slide.

9S was killed by 2B moments later

He never lost his memories though. Is this supposed to be how he knew 2B was a 2E? It's not made clear at all

ME:A got cracked before nier

Better games take more time to get cracked.

What's left on the moon is the human genome and data, it doesn't say anything about the Replicants. In fact, I don't think Replicants are ever mentioned in the game, except for a few lines in the Gestalt reports. Which is weird because in the first Nier we pretty much see the last human die, so naturally the player would think, where are the replicants? Unless in this game everyone is assuming Replicants are actual humans and those went extinct too.

>He never lost his memories though

magical hacking memory backup, but he simply does not care if 2B kills him over and over. He only dies for good after the bunker is destroyed.

Also if you die after the bunker is down, there are no body recovery mechanics, its game over since there are no more data backup and no more body production

>9S goes to Emil's home underground to pay his respects while "Kainé" plays
>Look closer and notice that the thing he's left is 2B's blindfold
I think my cold dead heart has been cracked

It's worth the buy.

Fite me.

remember that card we all made a while ago? Looks like taro-san is open to receiving it.

I would buy it if i had 60 bucks to spare but I don't

i know he made a tweet about getting one from reddit

You won't get to experience the final credits section properly by playing a crack. It's completely worth buying for that single part.

This.

All the Replicants were doomed to die after the Original (Shadowlord) got killed anyways, which is what happens at the end of the first Nier. The Shadowlord kept most of the Gestalts stable through his Maso, but after dying all the Gestalts relapsed which prevented them from uniting with their Replicant selves in order to become a true human again. As Replicants can't reproduce, they would all die because of the Black Scrawl, which manifests when the Gestalt self of a Replicant relapses (goes berserk).

What was the purpose of the tower? I know that was supposed to be an ark, but I don't buy this

What 9S saw when he looked at, I don't know, something inside the tower, right before the final shoot 'em up session, maybe breaking the fourth wall? I didn't get it

Also, what was the point of the recovery units?

The tower is actually a massive cannon designed to send a bunch of data and resources to the moon where it could be utilized to create a new generation of androids for the machine network to fight against, only to repeat the process. The recovery units do what the name implies, recover materials from broken machines and androids. The 'meat box' recovers the materials, the 'soul box' recovers the data, though I'm not sure what the 'god box' does.

I'm broke as fuck and can't land a job had to sell my new 3ds xl just to get a replacement gpu.

To get this straight, was YoRHa created by the machines in the first place? If not, how did they set up the virus to go off? Did androids exist before the alien invasion? I'm guessing they didn't since they were built with machine cores. And lastly, can someone give a quick summary of the Gestalt Project and the replicants for someone who never played the first Nier?

I've only beaten endings A & B, should I leave now?

Yes. In terms of story, A & B are the tip of the iceberg. When you get the true ending, you'll know.

androids were around since the beginning of the gestalt project.

got muh OST in

For whatever reason, and this is the first time this has happened with an Amazon.co.jp order for me, it had some padding in the form of a fucking Japanese work catalog.

Run, run and never look back!

Why didn't you just download it like a normal person.

because muh physical collection

Because I have money and want to own a physical copy of this shit?

I did the same for Gravity Rush 2's OST.

Androids existed long before the invasion, they were made by humanity in the 2000's before the gestalt project kicked into full swing and were responsible for overseeing it, fighting off Legion and purifying white maso from the atmosphere, and also keeping the rest of society going until humans came back. The only androids built with machine cores are the YoRHa models which were made after the machines showed up.

Gestalt Project files in game pretty much cover everything, the cliff notes is there was this white maso shit brought over by the monster queen at the end of Drakengard 1 that turns people either into salt statues or part of a monster army called Legion and the only way humans could find to avoid the disease was to split humans into separate souls and bodies, called gestalts and replicants respectively. Replicants then proceeded to develop their own personalities so they couldn't jam the gestalts back into them, then one of the replicants killed the primary gestalt who was keeping all the other gestalts going, without their gestalts the replicants started to fall apart too and the whole project fell apart and all of what was left of humanity died.

Someone asked this earlier but it bears repeating: How did 9S know about the 2E thing in the end? He didn't lose his memory after the fight with Eve despite being killed. Was that it?

it's a good idea to do these things. There's a real sense of cherishing physical things that I don't want to see these boards lose.

This is mine, and I cherish it, even if I have the digital OST.

9S only learned about it when A2 told him at the very end. A2 knew because she inherited 2B's memories through her sword, if that's what you intended to ask.

A2 says "but you knew that already"

I don't think a game has ever matched my depression so well before. Even if 9S yelling shut up a lot makes me think of high school emo kids.

[spoiler] I was wondering why they couldn't use androids as a new bodies. You wouldn't even have to take over the current androids, just have ones with no "soul" waiting as vessels. Makes more sense than trying to preserve a human body which I assume still ages. Especially when it could take a long ass time to eliminate the disease. I won't take any kind of logical argument against the idea. The game goes too far with it's science to say that it would be impossible.

Well fucked up the spoiler. Nobody should be reading this thread if they haven't played the game anyway.

Who is the best character and why is it Pod 042?

9S WAS repeatedly killed and memory-wiped by 2B (much like in the resistance runaways sidequest-line which serves as a parallel to 2B and 9S), so it's possible he might've learned about it while hacking the YoRHa servers or doing the E-type sidequest, but to be honest I'm not entirely sure either when he learned about it. Or if he did for that matter

It'd be kind of hard to create an artificial body for each surviving human being, even moreso considering that an artificial android body doesn't have the same reproductive capabilities as a human. Though Replicants couldn't reproduce either given that they have no idea of what normal childbirth is like. According to Yoko Taro: Even if they can't reproduce, Replicants still have sex drive. Replicants don't realize that they can't have babies since they have no concept of what normal childbirth looks like. Basically, managers like Devola and Popola just call them to a place, say "You're going to give birth soon", and put them into sleep, then create a replicant from a test tube-like thing while they're asleep. When Replicants die, D&P just 'recycle' them into new bodies

Torrent where?

Crack when?
I might have considered buying this game if it were half the price and didn't have Denuvo, but their greed cost them a sale from me.

>loved the game, get ending A in about 20 hours
>"Oh what, why do I have to play as THIS faggot now?"
>maybe it'll switch back to 2B soon
>get B
>couldn't play the game for a whole week due to real life shit
>user here told me that C route is the hypest shit they've ever seen in a game
>spend a whole week with that in my mind, along with the trailer for C
>IT'S FRIIIIIIIDAY NIGHT MOTHER FUCKER
>get back to playing the game
>"Nice! Back playing as 2B, I can finally use heavy attacks and look at her ass again!"
>Logic virus happens
>didn't make it across the bridge in time, got a bad ending
>"Oh if that's all that happens, I can save 2B!"
>emboldened by the fail state, I took that as "there must be a good ending, 9S will save her somehow using robot magic and it'll be fine"
>it wasn't fine
>it was never fine
>couldn't blame A2
>felt sorry for 9S
>ended up really liking both characters for their own reasons
>get the D & E ending
>get past credits
>still feel empty inside

I mean, I knew I wasn't in store for sunshine and rainbows, but God damn man…

Look on nyaa

I had to spend an entire day at work holding back tears whenever I thought about the game. I feel like a pussy

So is humanity really truly extinct? Isn't their genetic information on the Moon and Emil is still alive?

The fuck is the point of this game if Humanity is dead anyways?

Yes they're all dead
Yes there's information on the moon but presumably no way to really do anything with it
Emil hasn't been in a state where he could be considered human for like 9000 years
The point is to tell a story about androids and machines learning they can be people too and overcome their programming to live for themselves

I wonder if mice look at pic related the same way we look at 2B

What? A2 outright tells him 2B is actually 2E and she grew more and more emotionally distraught every time she was forced to kill him.

I think the main appeal of androids for fighting white chlorination syndrome is that they couldn't contain souls in the first place. Having a soul in your body is what renders you vulnerable to the maso, since it forces you to make a pact if you can.

Backup fool, I give up my save like 10 times but then it takes you away from the tension of actually losing your save files

Why would you feel tense about something that's optional?

Suppose to make you question what being a person is, as far as I am concerned the androids are just the new humanity. They having feelings, make connections, have a sense of self. You can argue since real humans have basic instincts and drives that the android's base programming is essentially the same

Yes, good goy. Machines are people. Machines have rights. Machines should vote. Machines should get time off work. Cut off your body parts and become machines. Transhumanism isn't an exclusively jewish kabbalistic idea.

I really missed shitposting these last few days. Feels good to be back.

Kill yourself.

Give me more. We need to make up for lost time.

Also I forgot to mention that the line between science and magic is confusing in this game. The core that 9S stabs in the soul box looks just like the souls in Drakengard.

Also the golden rings around the weapons on your back are pretty much exactly what magic looks like in the other games. In addition pod programs often burst into angelic text after the move is done.

Ironically, i think the game's overall theme suggests the opposite. The machines are the new humanity. This is why the machine womb gives birth to Adam and Eve, and when asked about their names, Adam says they are very applicable. This is why the machines leave earth in an Ark to go to where the human server is. This is why the machines pour over all the history of humankind, while the androids barely understand how humans used to eat or live. Another point is how while the androids might look human, they are actually more 'puppets' than the machines are, especially since the machines have been controlling them the entire time. The point is the androids have been told a huge lie just to give them something to do, their existence is pointless and arbitrary in the grand scheme of things.

Should of mentioned that too, I think Adam and Eve were very close to new humanity but were still horribly obsessed on one thing each, as most machines are. The androids seem to have a bit more variety in their day to day, which I think makes them closer, but I think the point is they both are achieving "souls". Also the ark was just being shot into deep space if I am not mistaken, machines fulfilling Beepy's goal from the first Nier

That's something that was confusing me as well, those rings that appear look like magic and we know other andriods such as Popola and Devola used magic millennia ago. It's retarded they wouldn't use it in the newer models if they isn't a drawback.

I think there must be some sort of difference between the "magics" we see in the game. My only working theory is that the tech used by the androids is somehow manufactured magic. We are given some insight that humanity in the late 2000s managed to get a grip on the masos somehow, maybe with Angelus' body? Because when you fight Emil's final form the pod makes it a point to let you know this is magic and very powerful, but even then Emil was created by humanity

Also Eve uses red magic and is covered in watcher's cult symbols, which only makes this more confusing.

I suppose the phrase "any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" comes to mind, it might just be second nature to the andriods at this point after mankind reverse engineered magic?

i.e. the andriods wouldn't be shocked at the things they can do because it's just another piece of technology to them, comparable to the flight unit or a pod.

That phrase comes to mind too. It could just be Androids don't really understand the basics of their technology either anymore, kind of like Warhammer 40k stuff. For all we know humanity pretty much intertwined magic and science so much that there is no way to tell the difference anymore.

Also could just be an aesthetic choice by Taro to screw with us all. Because I really have no idea how Watcher's Cult symbols could be in this dimension because the neither Beast, Caim, nor Angelus should of had any of that sort of info with them when they crossed over.

If it makes you feel better I never saw bayo as the sexual, would totally have beers with her though.

If you didn't cry at least twice you're a pussy.

>the machine network was doing. They were gathering data so they could create a more powerful generation of androids
YoRHa was doing that with proto-YoRHa, not the machine network.

>Since it was revealed that the entirety of project YorHa was created by the machine network

>the machine network repurposed for their own needs.
YoRHa had nothing to do with the machines. It was created by leftover androids from before humanity went extinct. It was made by high ranking androids that believed the Earth was worth fighting for and needed to re-instill morale to the androids. The fact that the androids continuing to fight helped serve the machines' need for an enemy is a coincidence. The machines' plan to keep the war going (pre-red girl shift) was to simply gimp themselves by cutting some off from the network.

>the machine network instead decided to nurture and create androids
They never did this.

>back to the moon for reconstructing a new generation of machines and androids.
It was for making the ark, if you believe 9S's view. The machine's never planned to create any androids at any point besides Adam and Eve. The Tower, resource recovery, and attacking of Pascal's village all happen post-red girl shift. That is they all happen after the machine network has ceased needing to fulfill their original purpose of "defeat the enemy." If they they wanted to "reconstruct a new generation of machines and androids, why doesn't happen when they succeed in ending D/E? Emil's weapon story clearly states the leftover machines reconstructed the network on their own.

>a bunch of data and resources to the moon where it could be utilized to create a new generation of androids for the machine network to fight against
No, it's not.

>the machines have been controlling them the entire time.
No they haven't

The line when you fight Emil leads me to strongly believe than anything the androids and machines have that looks like magic is just highly advanced technology. Obviously the pods can identify magic, and if the other things were using magic the line would be pointless. I think non-YoRHa androids don't use magic because they shunned it along with Devola and Popola and YoRHa doesn't incorporate it because it could be used as evidence of the gestalt project, which would be evidence of humanity's extinction. This is a lot of extrapolation though.

…So then! To sum up: For hundreds of years, we've been fighting a network of machines with the ghost of humanity at its core. We've been living in a stupid *ing world where we fight an endless war that we COULDN'T POSSIBLY LOSE, all for the sake of some Council of Humanity on the moon that doesn't even exist.

I don't know what the point is to all this, but I swear I will kill every evolutionary dead-end machine lifeform, as well as every single asshole behind Project YoRHa.
I'm coming for all your heads. * you.

Information Analysis Officer,

Jackass

This tbh. There is no point except emotions make us do pointless things. And we love it.

Interestingly enough, I never saw Ryuko from Kill La Kill in a sexual way. No idea why.

trips don't lie.

Nier gets the tears going for me, Automata just couldn't do it.

Reported for having zero comprehension of reality.

Ah I didn't think about that, magic is closely connected to project gestalt, something they want to keep hidden.

Well chances are their tech just looks like magic because its so advanced or it is magic/magic based and they just don't know it because its been damn near 10000 years.

Also whats up with the city center, there is frankly no way it should of survived this long. Part of me wants to connect it to the city that suddenly appears in Drakengard 3, but I really have no way to connect it.

Both did for me, and nothing else has. I played automata first, which spoiled some stuff for Nier, but it honestly didn't ruin Nier for me. I knew the shades were humans turned into monster, but I didn't know they were still human. That some of them still had thoughts and feelings and sapience.

I love you too user-kun

It's a perfect Yoko Taro game tbh. He hates the idea that violence is pleasurable in a video game so he gave you a story where everything you do is literally meaningless. All this violence that occurs is completely pointless. As soon as the first announcement by the council was made (and that only commander could talk to them) I knew that humanity was dead because I was playing a Yoko game, once you realize that aliens are dead, it gets even clearer. This entire game is what would happen if two sufficiently powerful nations or entities perfected robotic warfare and died. The aesthetic of two wind up dolls bumping into eternity is something that comes to mind. All so pointless after the hands that turned the keys are gone.

The only problem is that since the human genome is on the moon, the andriods should be able to create labs the create humans using that as a pattern. I can't imagine making a protein processing machine like that would be impossible for too long.

I just can't see this being the answer since the pod can identify magic.

The androids could resurrect humanity with the genome, but first they have to eliminate the machines so humanity has a place to live. Because of this possibility, I believe there may be another far-flung sequel in the Nier-side of the DoD universe. Automata was a low-budget hit, so Squeenix will want those shekels.

Pods seem highly specialized. Maybe the info is there but androids, mostly being soldiers, have little reason to seek out this info or connect the dots.

I just don't see why the pod would point out the magic if the androids had been using magic this entire time.

The machines most certainly designed YorHa, and there are several pieces of evidence straight from the game

First: you find a design document in one of the resource collection units that the YorHa androids are all built with a black box made from a machine core, where would they get the machine cores if the machines themselves weren't influencing the design of the androids?

Secondly, you find a document in the tower that is restricted to above the Commander's access that details how YorHa will be destroyed so a new batch of androids can be made. Ask yourself, who is above the Commander? Humanity does not exist. The person above the commander who made all these plans is the machine network itself, that's why the backdoor was so easy to infiltrate and wasn't detected, because the machine network designed their system.

Third, when you meet the personification of the machine network, it talks about how it needs adversity in order to grow, which is why the war has been prolonged. From the beginning of Route C it is clear that the androids never ever stood a chance against the machines. So why did they last so long? Because the machine network wanted them to fight them and cause hardship for them.

Therefore you are wrong, there are BIG clues that YorHa or at least all of YorHa's plans were designed by the machine network and the machine network seemingly had another iteration of androids planned after YorHa was gone.

Also this has the bugging out of me. Emil isn't human, at least any more right? Or at the very least only original Emil is but not really. It's not like he has DNA or the ability to fuck anything does he? At this point he's just a monster or as it was said in Nier a "weapon".

I don't think I ever actually cried either. Tear up a bit, but not full on bawling.
The last time I did that was to Death Parade I think.
The last time a game got me to do that was Persona 4 (well, half bawling at least).

Thank you user. I wanted to write out something like that, but couldn't find the words for it..

Androids have plenty of access to scraps from battlefield plunder, also the reasoning for that was because true AI was "too cruel" I don't think machines really cared about that. It was other Androids

I highly doubt it. The fact that black boxes were made from machine cores was restricted to the same level that humanity's extinction was. If the Commander didn't want people to know humanity was gone, she certainly wouldn't allow random androids to just go pick up machine cores and then make black boxes from them. Also, think of the questions that would raise for the people collecting these cores and making black boxes. If YorHa has a whole line of androids designed to murder another line of androids just because they might know too much, how the fuck would they handle people salvaging and creating black boxes? No, it's much more likely that YorHa doesnt know where the black boxes come from (fits the name 'black box', get it?) and they are really provided by the machine network, which only the machine network knows, which is why it purposely put that document in one of the chests in the soul box.

I want to bite 2B really hard on the ass cheek!

I'm pretty sure while the machine network for sure controls Yorha near the end. I thought it was originally set up by other androids, they have androids on the moon base maintaining the ruse too. So other androids are in on the secret. I think another thing is that the androids have a command structure on earth that we essentially never see a part of. For example where did the aircraft carrier get built? Who maintained the rocket launch site on Earth? Androids had just as much reason to maintain the illusion of humanity as the machines. The network just augmented the plan slightly to fit more in line with their needs Though I think I need to replay the entire last part again now.

YorHa type androids don't encapsulate all of the androids in play here. Only YorHas have black box cores instead of actual AI. Old-model type androids have actual AI. Obviously the majority of old-model type androids think that Humanity is still alive on the moon, that's the entire point of Project YorHa. Who put YorHa into motion? The theory that the machine network did it has some merit, but I think it's a lot more likely that the actual command structure of the android resistance created the project in order to re instill morale in the android resistance, and once the Psy-Op is complete and Humans being alive on the moon is taken as a fact, the backdoor gets activated and YorHa gets tanked by the Network.
YorHa and the Bunker were the only ones in "direct contact" with the moon, with them gone the moon server will continue to broadcast messages down to the surface and keep the androids fighting until the machine lifeforms are wiped off the face of the planet. Or that's how it was supposed to play out. Jackass' report kinda lets the cat out of the bag.
Fuck your spoilers the game has been out for over a month

Doesn't matter how long it's been out if it hasn't been cracked yet.

>where would they get the machine cores
I don't know, from the fucking machine that everywhere? Also this is stated to be for the purpose of not being inhumane.

>who is above the Commander?
The following materials document the final stages of the YoRHa project.
(Note that this information is classified as Level-SS, meaning that it must not be disclosed to anyone involved in the YoRHa project, including the Commander of the Bunker.)
[Project 0 3-0 1 : Disposal of YoRHa]
The backdoor of the Bunker has been set to open once the time approaches to switch to new models when enough combat data has been collected. The Bunker will be disposed of by having it be deliberately attacked by machines. At this time, all materials regarding the YoRHa project, including this document, will be lost, and falsification of the information that mankind still resides on the moon will be complete.
If the machines are the only thing above the Commander, why does this informatios refer to the machines as a separate entity? Furthermore the machines would have no need of this record to be transferred to anyone since they are a network. If the machines created or controlled YoRHa, there is no reason for this record to even exist. Those above the YoRHa project are the non-machine core androids who created it in the first place.

>it talks about how it needs adversity in order to grow
Yes, and this is why A2 is allowed to live until the network begins to argue with itself.

>which is why the war has been prolonged
Wrong, the war is prolonged so the machines can continue to fulfill the original purpose given to them by the aliens. They have no need of this purpose after the red girl shift.

>So why did they last so long? Because the machine network wanted them to fight them
Yes, but not because of machines controlling the androids, it was because the machines gimped themselves pre-red girl shift by cutting many off from the network, as stated in Jackass's report.

>random androids to just go pick up machine cores and then make black boxes from them
That doesn't happen though.
>how the fuck would they handle people salvaging and creating black boxes?
They don't need to. YoRHa was created by non-YoRHa androids. The androids manufacturing other androids with black boxes know the truth, just like the androids on the moon do.

>They're actually selling them to YorHa fronts which in turn use them for black boxes

What did he mean by this?

Every playthrough I've seen, everyone just attacks right off the bat because they're bosses and that's obviously a boss fight. I noticed they weren't attacking pretty early off, so I wouldn't attack either of them, and the game just stops. There's no way out of the boss fight without engaging in combat, but it forces you to take the first strike.

Am I doing it wrong, or am I doing it right and the game just assumes that most players are going to do it wrong and so use that as white phosphorous?

Wrong guy.

I apologize, meant for.

Then get out of the thread and wait for a crack.

Just a big bite into that juicy behind

I think it makes the world a lot more interesting and sensical if there's other non-YoRHa android operating at a higher level.
If you assume that the machines create YoRHa then a lot of plot holes open.

I want to lick A2's tummy

Keep that filthy shit to yourself

chomp chomp

A: It was typo
A2: Even if it wasn't a typo, it's still a Japanese game. Never underestimate the ability for the Japanese to slip a dick onto what looks like a cute girl. Caution is well advised.

I laughed the first time I saw it. My reaction was "Hah what a fucking moron" since he was so transfixed with killing A2 he ran himself through by accident.

Yes. People using spoilers is a courtesy, not a right. If you get spoiled on a game because you went into a thread about it before finishing it that's on you and nobody else.

Oh shit, you don't even have to be selling to **YoRHa fronts. Anybody you sell intact machine cores to can sell them to YoRHa. Also you call stuff directly to the bunker from your room. What people do with the things you sell them is a very good question.
We need a good reason for certain things we sell to be so valuable to who we sell it to.**

I didn't attack A2 immediately and not doing so lead to dialogue from the commander that tries to reassure you she is the enemy. I believe if you wait too long 9S will attack, but I'd have to replay that part. I always just attacked Adam immediately because I saw it as a direct continuation of the fight with the machines from the orgy.

I never considered most of what I just said conclusions I arrived at as much as information the game gives you. Most of what I said is explicitly stated in the reports, unlike what that other faggot is trying to argue as implicit.

Yeah now that you mention it there's all kinds of gay in this game. 2B female operator wanted to ask another girl on a date. There's literally Adam and (St)Eve. Simone while a girl's name technically still seems pretty masculine tbh.

What's that word that people use for other people who don't extend common courtesies? Oh right, assholes. Sure, you have every right to be an asshole, go ahead. I don't care, but don't think you have some form of morale high ground.

3DPD may never truly be able to become 2D, but is generally in it's least cancerous state when trying to emulate 2D and doing so well as in the 3DPD pic in question.

Oh yeah, I agree with you that it's pretty straight-forward to figure it out as long as you stick to the documents.
It's just that a surprising amount of people get hung up on the wrong information and start going off on tangents that aren't backed up by the game.

wew lad

What has this place become, how low have we fallen to be crawling in the mud with insects like you?

Speaking of this, anyone mind explaining some of Drakengard to me, or at least pointing me in the direction of whatever supplemental material clears things up? I know Arioch is a cannibal, specifically one that likes to eat children. It was implied well enough in the game. But i swear somebody said one of your party members is a pedophile. My best guess is it's Leonard, but I'm not seeing any evidence of it.

Ass of the year?

Yeah there's a point where courtesies become bending over backwards, and I'd say continuing to spoil 90% of threads a full fucking month after a game releases qualifies.

Since I'm human, does that mean 2B would want to fuck me? Could I order her too?

It is Leonard indeed. The thing is that the localization tried to hide it as much as possible, whereas in the original JP it's pretty much obvious.

Leonard's a pedophile who was living in his little hermitage to get away from the temptations of young boys. The reason he survives when the place gets burnt down is he gave in and left to fuck kids. English localization just dropped all the lines implying that.

But she loves humans right? So I could have all the android ass I want if I was the only human. What a dream I'll have tonight

I would like to note that the information pertaining to the black box is classified level SS, so not even the bunker commander knows about it. This means the bunker Commander is unaware of how YoRHa androids were created and is likely a black box YoRHa android herself. This is further evidence of a non-YoRHa command structure outside and above YoRHa. The commander must answer to someone, and if there is info she is not privy to, she can't answer to directly to machines as a couple anons believe. If she is not answering to the machines, then even if you were to believe the machines controlled YoRHa, there would still need to be a level of non-machine structural command above the commander.

Why do androids bleed.

This also confused me, especially during the mission where we find all of those dog tags, one was "bloodied". I know it's probably not oil but what the fuck kind of fluid is it?

It's not blood, it's more like an oil. I'd question how they can cry. I've yet to get a non-joke answer to that.

The amount of force with which she can slam down on a cock is only a plus.

Because they get stabbed.

leaky steering fluid
sorry

Well actually they say they only run on water, maybe it was a added feature to keep them closer connected to humanity.

Unless you just want something for free that you would otherwise have to pay for, you shouldn't be pirating in the first place.

If you're pirating a game for the reason of "Its going to be trash and I don't want to pay for trash!" then you shouldn't even bother giving it attention. Your time is more valuable than your money.

If you're pirating a game for the reason of "They don't have a demo!" well there are tons of people who are playing the game and putting it on youtube and other sorts of sources for you to see the gameplay for yourself. Once more, you should email the developers/publishers and let them know that you don't purchase anything without a demo. They won't just magically make one without knowing that's what people want.

If you're pirating a game for the reason of "They put piracy protection and are treating me like a criminal!" then their fears and judgments are justified now, aren't they? Better to not give the game any attention and email the developers/publishers about your displeasure and how you will not make purchases so long as they use whatever copyprotection you dislike.

If you're pirating a game for the reason of "There's no such thing as scarcity with a digital product!" well i'm sorry but the work/effort into creating the product is a scarce resource. People aren't making these games for their health, they're making them to get paid for their skills and services.

If you're pirating a game for the reason of "Well its not a lost sale so it doesn't matter!" then I have to ask if you would be playing that game had you no choice but to pay for it? If no, then why are you bothering to play it in the first place except for the fact that you were able to get it for free through piracy? If yes, then why didn't you pay for it in the first place?

So you see the only real answer anyone can give is that they just had the ability to get something for free where they would otherwise have to pay for it and there are almost no possibilities of consequences. People are only as honest and loyal as their options allow them, after all.
However, if you then complain about the state of the game industry and all you do is pirate video games then you are about as worthwhile as any given scummy parasite complaining that their welfare check doesn't buy them enough.

Please make a thread before your autism takes over this one.

What's your explanation for people not wanting DRM on their machines?

Careful with all that logic, someone might call you a shill.

Nothing is better than starting an argument and having others pick up the torch and fight it for you.

I covered that.
Express your displeasure to the company and then just don't buy their product.
When you pirate something for that DRM reason, what you are saying is that your values are not worth the price of an entertainment product and that you are just in fact a thief and possible addict.
On top of that, you have to remember that in today's entertainment economy, attention is almost as good as money. Chances are, if the game was interesting enough for you to pirate it (with whatever excuse you employ) then you are very likely to discuss it. When you do, you may end up intriguing someone(s) who would buy the product. This adds sales and once more invalidates any sort of "statement" you thought you were making.

I would say that the only way for this to be validated is if you purchase the product but then pirate a DRM free version. Although really, that's just like being one of those people who never smoke except when they drink and then they drink every other day.

In the end it boils down to how you feel about your actions but for me I would just be personally bothered by engaging in such hypocrisy and having to constantly justify things to myself in all these fallacious ways.
If the truth of your actions bothers you then you should probably stop engaging in them.
If the truth of your actions does not bother you, then go right for it but then you have very little reason to lie to yourself or others.
When CD burners first became a household thing, my friends and I had no illusions as to what we were doing when we copied games and music CDs. When Napster hit the scene we had no illusions about what we were doing. We were fine with it.
These piracy justifications that i've seen around are relatively new in the grand scheme of things and they most certainly would not hold up in any court of law. You may as well declare yourself one of those "Sovereign Citizens" for all the good it will do you.

So… pirate it?

I suppose I should have put buy and/or play their product.

In Nier 1, after you kill Devola, she says to Popola how it's funny that they don't have souls but their tears still work. It's just how they're designed.

They run on water, them having water inside them isn't questionable. The actual mechanism for leaking fuel certainly is, but it's most likely just an aesthetic thing. Do andriods really need to be human shaped? Surely there are better designs for robots, but they are andriods because of aesthetics, and if you're going to have human andriods you might as well finish the package.

I just remembered these scenes.

**Does anyone know what the point of them was?Is it just 9S rambling about shit?

Also, what is the point of the gold-plated enemies during the 9S playthrough… I remember when fighting the tank in the desert he said something like how that situation feels familiar.**

So in DoD one, your party consists of you (a mass murderer who even slaughters children), leonard (who is a pedophile), Arioch (who is a cannibal), for a short time your sister Furiae (who has incestuous desires), for a short time your friend Inuart (who betrays you, kidnaps your sister, forcefully kisses her, and goes insane), Angelus (Who hates humanity including Caim, at least until the end of the first branch), Verdelet (who has faith in the gods?), Seere (who isn't aware his sister leads the cult of the watchers?). I don't understand what's wrong with Verdelet and Seere. They seem like alright people and Seere even offeres to sacrifice himself in one of the endings. Also, how the fuck does the cult of the watchers work? I believe it was founded by One's brother/clone, but that's about all I know. What exactly are the Seeds? What's their intended purpose if they are neither destroyed nor have a human put in one of them? Or is the latter their intended function?

That analogy is retarded. Buying, letting the dev know of your dissatisfaction with the DRM, and then pirating DRM free is the correct goody two shoes choice.

I saw gold plated enemies in my 2B playthrough (route A I guess? first playthrough) but couldn't bust them. Really I got bored fighting them..you HAVE to hack them to death.

Aw shit fucked up the spoiler.

pls no bully

It was all a part of some quest, just another one of those ones proving 9S gives no shits about what machines feel though 2B might.

Verdelet is a gigantic racist, the first level you're fighting goblins and orcs and trolls he goes on a huge rant about how you need to cleanse the subhumans from the land.
Seere doesn't have anything wrong with him really, he just feels guilty about what happened to his sister because he was aware she was being mistreated but never did anything about it. There really isn't anything he could have done about it though since he's like 10.

No, not really.
Because what they will do is say "ok, but you bought it right?" and then into the trash your email goes. Along with others.
Of course, if all you care about is DRM on your personal machine and its not a principled thing for you then why even bother spending the money in the first place if you don't absolutely have to?

Well you don't if you pirate the game.

DRM & piracy thread

If you are collecting archives, it almost explicitly states that. I think it's actually one of the archives you get…
nierautomata.wiki.fextralife.com/[Top Secret] Model No.2

That combined with the constant references to A2 being the unit 2B was based off of, as well as the red-headed E type you find doing one of 9s' side missions
Hence 'but you already knew that didn't you'

THE GAY COMMUNITY

Moral obligation

That archive is found A2, not 9S. 9S probably figured it out when the Commander let him live, likely expecting 2B to finish the job. As we know, 9S never revealed the truth to anyone before the bunker kersploded, so I'd say you can assume the Commander was able to predict 9S's action after having gathered so much data on him from all the previous times he had discovered the truth.

Somehow Adam ended up looking the gayer of the two.

Even if 9s didn't find it, the pods are still data sharing so if he looked at his stored records at any point he'd have seen it But your interpretation is a reasonable way to look at it

like 10 hours later
you defeat the Machine AI by letting it multiply until they start fighting and destroy eachother
ending D ends with A2 and 9S killing each other
The whole game was about a conflict between androids and machines in which both sides incur heavy losses with little to no gain

I always considered the availability of all info that would not be obviously directly available to as not truly available to your character in the same way chapter select is not available to your character. Otherwise you may have to justify your ability to access Jackass's report, which is made after the events in which you can view it.

directly available to your character*

Jackass post-game dlc when

Holyshit the play has purpose. I didn't even think about that. What other seemingly meaningless or joke sidequests and endings may have actually had more purpose given the larger context of the story?

I wish I never played past ending A/B.
at least E ends on a nice note.

Machine cores are everywhere
I thought Devola and Popola made YoRHa for some reason.

As far as I know, I think they are aware of it, and its true purpose since they know about prject gestalt, and are complicit in its actions.

I think they are aware of it, and its true purpose since they know about prject gestalt, and are complicit in its actions.

I thought they explicitly stated they "didn't know what caused the first Popola and Devola andriods to go berserk as the records were purged from history" did they state something else later?

I thought they backed themselves up routinely? Why does android death matter?

Sidequest with 21O
>she treats 9S like a kid more and more as the quest goes on
>seems like she's just doing it to taunt him
>find out in her bossfight she really wanted a family all along
>she really wants to treat 9S like a little brother but his memory keeps getting wiped so she tries to act cold to him like 2B does and it was just slipping out as you interacted with her more

Did you play the game?

The Bunker gets destroyed, all android backups are lost. In route C/D death is permanent and there are no do-overs.

They don't why a certain pair of Devola and Popola androids fucked up, but they are aware of project gestalt and it's failure. They have to know something of importance, else they wouldn't say to 9S that they'll "explain when we're inside" of the tower.

I knew that one, though I and others I've seen mention it thought she was treating him more like a son, not a brother.

He means before that. Plenty of YoRHa androids act like death is meaningful despite the backup system being available. My theory is that if an androids dies to easily or often in the field they are denied backup privileges and replaced with a fresh personality so as to strengthen the war effort.

Or simply the androids have a survival instinct, no need for expensive bodies to thrown themselves into death whenever. Also we see instances where upload data may not be completely uploaded and losing memories is essentially losing apart of themselves.

I said it earlier, but it got lost in the sea of DRM shitposting - It seems to me more and more than it's Popola singing the credits song.

To be fair, in the very beginning and in the end of A/B, 2B mentions how loading a backup of data is not the same, since the consciousness ends when you load a backup. However this concept is dropped and never explored again. I really expected them to dive deeper into it, especially since the fast travel mechanic involves basically streaming your memories to the next access point and putting it in a body made for you at the location. I mean, that's effectively the same process as death for an android, and if we consider that consciousness and memories are not different, then every time you fast travel you're essentially dying.

Yeah that's why I don't really consider androids to be the next humans

Also why couldn't they just make new humans? Is it because the bodies would lack souls?

I was expecting some big twist involving multiple different 2Bs and 9Ss but looks like I never got to see that. I suppose it would be too predictable and we did get multiple 2Bs.

It's called being a faggot user.

Your mind is the sum of the events that you have experienced + it's base. That is a YorHa android's mind. They can't just constantly upload backup data, it just isn't feasible. So whenever one of them dies, from an observer's perspective they are losing a part of what they experienced, a part of themselves. The memories of your experiences with them will never align with their memories of those experiences, because they died and they're missing something that they would have if they hadn't died. I can definitely see how that would be really distressing.

I booted up the game.
They were behind/partly behind the moon project as told in their novel

ah fuck, that explain her behavior. Damn, I thought this game couldn't get any sadder

so basically the old star trek beamer problem

you sort of do.
all those previous 9s' and the 2b's in the tower

Your first point is probably the strongest. But they still act like they are actually dying, not simply wasting resources. For instance, the mission with the lesbian android who was dating someone who died during the first mission you are given in the game. Why is her girlfriend not brought back with less memories. She didn't exactly gain much since she left the bunker, as she died near the beginning of the mission. My theory would hold true here as since those androids all died so easily their AIs would be considered useless and denied backup privileges.

Where would they live user? The moon is not actually sustainable.

Either they don't have artificial womb tech or maybe masos is still fucking everywhere so any human would just get infected right away

It's possible that she was unable to backup recently. I think at one point you get an email saying that the bunker is wiping recent backup data due to storage size problems, stresses near the end of it to backup I think. Possible that sometimes androids get caught in a period like that. Or they get killed mid backup, which would probably become their data to become corrupt.

Those weren't previous 2B's just copies of her models taken over by the machine network to fuck with 9S and defend the place.

archive.is/BwhIL

Just going to leave this here.

But they were just at the bunker, where they got the flight units. It feels weird to assume that every time a YoRHa android dies, they just happened to not have recently had a backup, and that this problem never effects you. And this still only ever amounts to memory loss, not actual death, which they treat it as.
This is only true death explanation. You don't get that email until later though, long after that incident. It's also only temporary and relies again on coincidence for the death to be meaningful, otherwise YoRHa androids would act fine until they realized their comrade didn't have backups, then begin mourning the deaths.

I remembered one more question I had

What happens to 9S after the end of A/B? His consciousness gets transferred to the now defunct machine network, but he's still corrupted isn't he? So how does he get back into his body? Or does part of him stay in the network and they load up the old backup when he gets back to the bunker?

Hopefully that means sweet sweet DLC

Well that problem does effect you, if you forget to save. Also I could see constant memory loss really effecting you over a long period of time, for essentially immortal machines the amount of time you have lived and then promptly lost could become quite staggering. Could effect mental state after a while. We are able to see androids aren't immune from crisis of conscious and other mental health issues. At one point it may just be more merciful to let them stay dead.

He transferred himself out of the network back to a friendly server, assumingly after being scanned for defects. But after the Adam fight we see him defying safety protocols. So he might of done so again. Probably explains while after B ending he has a lot more rage and eventually develops red eyes

I don't know the guy and was but a grain of sand on the beach of his success, yet somehow I still feel proud of him.

I like this timeline. It has some nice stuff.

You backup every time you quicksave, it takes two seconds. It hardly effects you at all, and the argument that uploading all the time is unfeasible doesn't make since when you do it all the fucking time.

The version of him you kill and the version that regenerates itself are separate.

since sense*
Damn I am retarded.

twitter.com/johntv/status/849420533775048704

Ya gameplay wise it doesn't take much time. I think the fact that we have to do so at all is suppose to drive home a point that backing up matters. 9S also shows us near the beginning of the game that uploading data takes time, so if you only remember to start your backup as you are dying it might be a problem. Also not all androids are that studious with our their duties.

I think it's got something to do with recovering black boxes since they talk about black box signals constantly but I've got no idea how that works with them doing the black box reaction in the prologue. Maybe only S models can do ranged backups at all and thus survive the reactions and everyone else they have to manually go pick up their boxes before they run out of juice?

delete this

I just want to see this crazy bastard to make more games. I do wonder if where he will go from here on out after getting a much wider audience.

And there he is. The crazy bastard.

Fucking degenerate. Is there more?

Only if it can help somebody, somewhere, see it.

Good things do happen to good people sometimes

HE'S STILL GOING AT IT, THE ABSOLUTE MADMAN

I hope he makes the next game fucking insane, as far as his games go Automata was pretty standard. He ropes in all these new fans then fucks with their sanity in the next round, super fun.

But WH40k had multiple threads about it

I bought the JPN PSN release the day it came out so I don't really care if it's cracked (I'll pirate it on PC when it is.) The consensus is definitely not unanimous on whether to buy it on PC or not.

This pic totally looks like something from a Lovecraft's tale, The Doom that Came to Sarnath to be more specifically.

Thats how you know its good

I remember there being a ton of WH40k threads user. Where were you?

Wait, why is he okay with Arioch, the cannibalistic elf, then? He even goes so far as to restrain her and bring her with you, rather than killing her outright like the dirty baby eating knife ear she is.

That makes me worried, user. It can't last. How do we protect his smile?

I think more people on this board bought nier than warhammer, so I'm sure that contributes a lot. Also stop being a bitch and just make a thread if you want to talk about it, who cares about some low effort trolls.

Warhammer 40k and Total war warhammer are different things to discuss. Anytime it was brought it it got shitposted to hell. Even in total war threads

We don't. We sit back and watch tragedy happen.

I can't wait for the inevitable confusion.

What's wrong with you two? They have exactly the same appearance

Elves still look pretty close to human compared to orcs and trolls, it's like a german guy ranting about blacks but being alright with irish people.

I suppose that makes sense. Also, he wasn't doing anything unpriestly to her while he had her restrained, but was cut from the EN version of the game, irght?

Drakengard is the crazy series, Nier doesn't go too far into weird territory.

Except weird shit in Drakengard starts only after like 3 playthroughs, and unlike Automata you have to play exactly the same shit over and over again.
If anything they will wonder where the fuck weirdness is and why they are playing berserk band of the hawk prototype?

The sidequest where you investigate a murder of an android's friend, and turns out that this very android killed her friend because it was her job as an YorHa Type-E, pretty self-explanatory

Nah I'm hoping for more character turning into near godlike monstrosities and gameplay suddenly changing to rhythm games in crucial moments.

Exactly, I'm very partial to the D ending of Drakengard 3, mostly because zero flower goddess thing is very disturbing and arousing too me.

About Nier. I heard someone say Emil has a one-sided skeleboner for Nier. Is this true? I didn't see it in game. I did notice the part where Kaine's package is implied and read that story where the priest saw her furiously masturbating. Nothing about Emil being gay though.

the robot bringing the bucket to his brother is in the intro of route C/D
"wow that's cool"
He's a fucking boss
gg Taro

It's in the Japanese/young Nier game only. The game was written around Nier being a bishi teen, so Kaine and Emil's attraction to him makes more sense. Also there was a sidequest where Nier was implied to have prostituted himself to some old guy, which was cut out of the english/gestalt version, because why the fuck would you pay an ugly 40 year old to have sex with you.

No no the old guy paid brother Nier to fuck him, probably so he could pay for Yonah's donuts or some shit. Some old fuck taking advantage of some poor ass kid

This angers me. Emil could easily still be gay for papa Nier. Kaine definitely sizes him up right after you depretrify her. Were there other examples of her attraction to Nier that were cut in gestalt?

Are you okay? Do you have brain damage?

He meant pay nier to fuck the old man silly

There were different ones. After Emil "sacrifices" himself in the Devola and Popola battle she kinda gets real touchy and their faces hover close together for a bit

Shit I'm suppose to be writing a paper but I keep checking on the thread as micro breaks, I should stop.

(nice)
I probably lost the semester because of this, don't follow my example, m8. Close this window nao

She definitely got real touchy in Gestalt. She kicked my shit in, in confused anger and sadness.

Its fucking impossible to focus, I graduate in a month and I couldn't give a fuck about any of this shit anymore.

I've dropped out of an English class twice now. This is my third time around and I'm probably going to fail. College is literally just high-school extended and harder, like a dick. It fucks you over for the real world. Go to a trade school.

There's not such thing as moral obligation. If you do something morally right because you felt obliged then you did it because you felt obliged; not because it was morally right. Morally must be a choice. You don't get credit for doing what's required. And you're not required to give-up your save(s). Doesn't it make you 100% satisfied to sacrifice everything you've spent hours to achieve in order help someone whom you've never met (and may not get along with) in order help them in the final few minutes of a video game? Or are you, deep down inside, still just a tiny tiny bit selfish even after giving up all of those hours?

Too late for that shit, I'll have my degree in hand in a month. At least I got through this debt free.

I felt morally obligated to sacrifce, because I know others' data was used to help me. I felt morally obligated to return the favor. It's that simple. Also, you do get credit. The Pods thank you for playing and you unlock a new start screen.

I can't tell how much of the unanswered questions in this game are either pointless or sequel-bait for Drakengard 4
why did the machines destroy the aliens, then continue to try and take over earth?
why did the aliens and machines know angelic?
why did eve have the literal symbol of the watchers on his chest when he went berserk?
The machines did a lot of irrational shit for no reason, like why did it let all those machines break away from the network if it was just going to kill them all anyway?
Was the Accord thing just a funny reference or are we actually bringing that lore bomb into this shit?

One of those is answered the rest are a completely mystery or he is just fucking with us.

You felt obligated. That's all there is. Wouldn't have been better if you had a choice?

this is the closest i've got

I find the Drakengard universe to be more interesting seeing as it's the source of all the issues in Nier. On the surface it's typical fantasy setting but then extradimensional demon baby statues fall out of the sky. They should do another prequel about the Cathedral city and the "old world" Accord is from.

It's retarded but a lot of the references like Eve's tattoos and androids using "I can't believe it's not magic!™" don't have any explanation.

I aint fucking with the SPOILERS, so read at your own risk.
Because they evolved to the point of being superior to aliens and went skynet on them. And since they were already at it, why not finish the business.

They learned it? Probably had access to shit from other dimensions and timelines.

Aliens studied the cult and though it was cool and probably incorporated data of it into the network.
Reminder that machines evolved past humans and androids first and then regressed again to not be left without adversaries. Chances are Adam and Eve weren't really the first of their kind.

Machine network was built on kind of organic basis SIMILAR TO PLANT CELLS, so naturally it's more of a hivemind kind of artificial civilization rather than pure computers.

Both. Welcome to Yoko Taro games.

>why did the machines destroy the aliens
They were never ordered not to kill the aliens, only to defeat the enemy. At some point, the aliens probably got in the way of that objective.

>why did the aliens and machines know angelic?
>Where is it shown the aliens know angelic? The machines know because of information they acquired about humanity, the Gestalt project.

>why did eve have the literal symbol of the watchers on his chest when he went berserk?
We may never know.

>The machines did a lot of irrational shit for no reason, like why did it let all those machines break away from the network if it was just going to kill them all anyway?
In Jackass's report, the machines are stated to have gimped themselves to help continue the war by disconnecting many machines from the network. This happened pre-red girl shift. Post red-girl shift, they no longer care, and begin gathering massive amounts of materials and knowledge for the ark. The village machines are materials and also have collected information about humanity.

>Was the Accord thing just a funny reference or are we actually bringing that lore bomb into this shit?
As of now, she played no role in the game whatsoever besides being affiliated with some of the shops. Possibly her chain of shops continues to run even without her, and she doesn't even exist anymore in this timeline.

>Where is it shown the aliens know angelic?
The recovery units: meat box, soul box and god box. The actual question should be how the Pod knows angelic

There is absolutely no reason the data for the Watcher's Cult should be in this dimension. Nothing that could of had that symbol made it through.

My interest is how thinks like the watcher cult were able to make there way to Nier's universe considering from what we know it doesn't make any sense.

You are weak.

Doubtful.

>The recovery units: meat box, soul box and god box
That has nothing to do with the aliens.
>The actual question should be how the Pod knows angelic
The pod is also aware of and can identify magic. I think YoRHa understands the language but pretends to not know how to utilize it because >>12278482
>The line when you fight Emil leads me to strongly believe than anything the androids and machines have that looks like magic is just highly advanced technology. Obviously the pods can identify magic, and if the other things were using magic the line would be pointless. I think non-YoRHa androids don't use magic because they shunned it along with Devola and Popola and YoRHa doesn't incorporate it because it could be used as evidence of the gestalt project, which would be evidence of humanity's extinction. This is a lot of extrapolation though.

It was created by machines who were created by aliens but yes I get it, they probably took from humanity researches on the drakengard thing that I don't know because I'm not fully into Taroverse yet

Reminder that this whole "invasion" was going on for 5000 years. And before that leftovers of humanity existed for like 1000 years after Nier fucking everyone's shit up.
I think there were plenty of opportunities for both humanity, ayyliens and machines to probe Drakengard's universe one way or the other, or find some recording of it.

Or you can write it off as fanservice, but now that's what I consider weak.

Could Caim have been carrying anything on him relating to it? Could the Cult be directly related somehow to the giant, or the dragon? Maybe one of the Accords fucked up and interfered a little too much? Maybe the Cult simply possesses certain people and exists in all timelines and One's brother is actually unnecessary to its creation. I need more info on the Cult itself, and more info on the angels and other "higher power" level shit from DoD 1 and 3.

>ACCORD EXISTS IN THE NIER UNIVERSE/TIMELINE
>ONE OF THE ACCORDS FUCKED UP

Ya there may just be things about higher power beings and watchers that we flat out don't know. I not sure why Caim would have Watcher regalia on him though, so I don't think they would of found any on his corpse.

Maybe we don't know how deft humanity truly got at understanding Masos and things from Drakengard world. For all we know they routinely were able to find a way to look into Misgard (or however you spell it).

I've read your shit and none of that is interpretation, that's pretty much exactly what's going on with routes and 9S characterization.

Or Caim indeed could have some documents on him, he's a fucking prince after all.

Oh and yeah Weiss and Nier were created by modern day humanity, so we were pretty fucking proficient at magic after dissecting Angelus, so it stands to reason we could investigate a fair deal of drakengard before legion and salt party went into full swing.

Isn't the world of Midgard after Drakengard pretty fucked though

I mean I think they would have mentioned if humanity actually traveled to there. All that was mentioned is they knew the existence of it and that's it.

It's a big question if Drakengard's world is just straight past of Nier's humanity or parallel dimension.

I think it was pretty clear it was a parallel dimension. As the simple introduction of magic to Nier's world fucked everything up completely.

I think it's a parallel world. Drakengard's world is Earth up until about 800 when cathedral city pops up and fucks everything up.

Nier is Earth up until Caim and co. come and fuck everything up.

It is both a parallel dimension and another timeline that is displaced from Nier's by about 900 years. That's why Caim travels not only to a timeline where magic does not exist (as far as humanity has discovered), but also one that is about 900 years in the future compared to his world.

Any good cracks yet?
80$ is steep…

I thought the Cathedral City was the remains of a hyper advanced human civilization only referred to as The Old World. I believe this civilization became so advanced in technology and magic that they fucked off to [REDACTED] and created the time travelling Accord androids who are to scout out safe timelines for humanity to continue to exist in. This goal being out of some sentimentality for their less advanced human brothers who are not ready for join their society, or for some other unknown goal they have for the remainder of humanity. As we continue to see tragedies unfold, it's obvious they don't care about the state of humanity, only that it survives. Or Accord is scouting out safe timelines for time to continue to exist in, and the blooming of the flower bringing "eternal silence" isn't just that it heralds the apocalypse, but that it stops time itself, thus Accord must "seal off" any branches where the flower blooms.

Nice economy, eh?

not really

Can anyone confirm any of my autism here? I'm not really sure about any of it.

I don't know what the fuck this games about so I'm just here spoiling everything.
Yes. Not even the original NiER.

This game seems to be the best thing in a decade, so I'll play it after denuvo. I won't enjoy it though, since I'm already spoiling myself. It's a beautiful feeling, not enjoying things. It's the only way I can prevent myself from falling into depression.

Enjoying this game was the only thing stopping me from falling into depression. I wouldn't spoil if I were you. Taro games do not make you happy, they make you sad. You will be less sad if spoil yourself.

I don't remember there being anything about what the old world was like.

Nigga spoiling it for yourself will only hurt you and you alone. I went into Nier and then Automata completely blind and it was god-tier experience.
Also evolution in combat system from Nier to Automata is borderline narrative mechanic holy shit.
You're missing out on a lot.

Real talk?
Yoko just asspulls his shit and let fans do the rest. After he reads enough of speculation he picks up something he thinks is the coolest and then rolls with it.

During Emil's army fight pod refers to them as an old world weaponry.
So the old world definition varies depending on context. For Yorha droids "old world" is 2000s.

I was talking Pre-DoD 3 Old World. Obviously in Nier, the Old World refers to everything pre-apocalypse, and in Automata, everything pre-alien invasion. In the first branch One says the Cathedral city is the source of all magic and that magic practiced there far surpasses the Intoners (who can summon fucking angels), and wonders where it disappeared to. That is the Old World I refer to, an era known by no other name.

I feel like they wouldn't do anything to me. I'm a jaded cunt. I feel like I'm going to be sadder if I know exactly what's going to happen and can't do anything about it. Like my mothers death

I'm OK with that.

As it turns out, I'm completely wrong about this. Cathedral City just kinda pops up outta nowhere. Don't know where this is said though, there's a lot of supplemental non-game material I don't know about.

I confirm this, the only material I saw before playing was video related.

Although my hype was fully guided by analysis videos of the original Nier, in a "wow if this was this crazy, imagine the sequel" kinda way

I haven't seen that trailer.

I hope the pothead get what they voted for, they costed us 150B$

Are there any videos demonstrating all the possible special kills for each of the machines? They go underused because you kill enemies so quickly it's more efficient to ignore the prompt, and the prompt is often unnoticeable. I have never used one outside of the demo area.

I lost some people in the last battle.
I just want to say thank you if any of you happen to be here.

My save is gone now…

Just read this in a youtube comment

Okay, so the giant apocalypse babies with lightning wings are the watchers, right? How does the cult of the watchers both serve them and create the seals that are supposed to stop them from destroying the world? If the cult didn't create the seals, who did?

I didn't vote in the election
Trudeau was just a convenient way to get rid of Harper anyways

Also it's A-Uh-toma-tah, not O-tomatoe.

It's Near: A tomato.
Ah-toe-mah-tah. You're way of typing out phonetics is weird.

But don't different people pronounce tomato differently anyway?

Orcs out

What I want from Taro in his next game is this. The "you are the real monster and the second time around you get to see how monstrous your actions were" bit has become standard for him at this point. I want the protagonist to be given the choice to not do the terrible thing, but it not be explicit that you can avoid doing the terrible thing. That way, when you do the terrible thing, it is your fault and the game lets you know this by making the fact that you can not do the terrible thing more explicit the second time around. Also, this way you can actually get an ending other than A on your first try. I think this is what I want because of this .
If the terrible thing could have been avoided in these instances, I would have made the good choice in the A2 fight, and the bad choice in the Adam fight. It's important though, that the choice is not made explicit, and that if this kind of choice appears more than once and the terrible thing is optional, that avoiding the terrible thing is sometimes the result of taking the obvious action rather than avoiding it.

Another instance where I believed I had outsmarted the game and avoided the terrible thing was the three way decision you can make about Pascal. I chose to leave him to his misery. I did not want to kill him, and believed erasing his memories would lead him to make the same mistakes. I should have thought more carefully, about the context of the situation. Maybe then I would have realized that if I would not kill him, he would kill himself. This is one of those times where the game succeeded in making me feel some guilt about my actions, making feel as a coward rather than clever, for avoiding the choice Pascal gave me.

It's sad when you do the terrible thing and are forced to realize it the second time around, but you often can't feel responsible for the terrible thing, because it was the thing you're supposed to do in order to move the plot forward. Automata's final ending gave this feeling as I came to realize that while getting the final ending the easy way I was unwittingly sacrificing the save data of others. There were ways to avoid doing the terrible thing here. One nigh impossible option is to do it solo, but another is to simply not lose anyone. It's not as hard as it sounds. The massive increase in fire power makes it easy to not take any hits as long as you kill everything quickly enough. It makes you feel guilt for the terrible thing, because you could have avoided it had you only tried a little harder. This helps in the guilt trip that makes you want even more to sacrifice your own data. I sacrificed the second time around, and I didn't lose anyone either, but I will always feel responsible for not trying hard enough the first time. I lost three people the first time.

>implying he isn't a troll

You're welcome user. Thank you for joining us.

Like any artwork you need to define your own answers in relation to what you've experienced. How would you react in that situation? What did the characters do that you would do differently? If you were suddenly cut off from a loved one what would your drive be? Have you found yourself in that position before? Are you in that position yourself? How can this better you as a person?

It doesn't matter in the context of the game fully, it matters more what you take out of the game. Taro himself is very introspective and you can tell he wanted the audience to think about these things.

I pronounce it NeaR:Augh-toe-mah-tah

i've completed endings A-E. i cannot comprehend my own emotions at the moment

Can anyone tell me where in the game this song plays?

I know it's when you defeat Adam and run away and if I'm not mistaken when you fight the Goliath in the city ruins. Is there any significance to the song and the context in which it plays or is it just random?

Does anyone know why we couldn't read the Goliaths names before ending B even though the pods could read angelic the entire time?

There is no significance in reused Nier ost apart from obvious scenes like where you visit Kaine's home or when Devola and Popola jump in to fight machines off you.
It just sounds cool.

Probably because 9S learned angelic sometime in the future and unlike basic memories shit like learned language and combat skills can't be erased without wiping personality completely. It also explains why he still can use weapons even after wipes.

In the past. I meant in the past.

But in the very first mission with 9S after 2B dies he heads to the tower thing and can't read the sign which the pod translates for him as "meatbox". However you can read the name of the goliaths before this even happens.

So what is it then? 9S's pod knows angelic, but 2B's one doesn't?

It doesn't make sense for one pod to know Angelic and the other not, it's not like of those things you find in a mission it's an ancient language, the fact one pod knows it means all should. It doesn't make sense if we couldn't read the goliath's names in the data entries if the pods could read angelic the entire time.

If Type-E androids are a closed secret why was 7E in the initial demo mission with no undercover identity?

I keep wanting to ask but I forget - having played through this with Jap voice acting and english translations, and going by the not-too-bad-but-not-too-good Japanese that I know, it really hasn't been changed all that much, has it?

The most drastic change I can remember is the Japanese voice actors acting normal when hearing Jackass' name, while the English translation had them (understandably) somewhat weirded out.

NEW THREAD