We're back–

We're back–

let's kick it off with a discussion about the greatest platform to ever exist, the sega saturn. What is your experience with this misunderstood and engineering disater of a platform? Did you get to experience all the amazing games it had? Did you not discover its allure until recently?

Regardless, it's Saturn time baby. What's your favorite games? Play any Radiant Silvergun or Guardian Heroes recently? How about that panzer dragoon? Or maybe some twinkle star sprites?

Other urls found in this thread:

patreon.com/prof_abrasive
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I was so disappointed when i first purchased my saturn and learned it did not play sega cd and the cart slot in the back was not for genesis games. Still play Guardian heroes on my saturn regularly. Aside from that there is a shitton of anime games to import for it too. Some of them are actually more than VN or gokuraku picture gallery things too.

I've been wanting to play bulk slash, I haven't tried it yet and it looks extremely good.

Have you played Guardian heroes 6 player?

The most o ever had playing at once in guardian heroes was four. It gets pretty messy especially when you start throwing magic around and hitting team mates.

in terms of framerate or just discerning information?

The Saturn, a host of underrated games and underrated soundtracks.

the midi tunes were killer too. The saturn had pretty crazy sound hardware.

Framerate can get pretty bad but the hit by proxy on teammates is even worse. Use some magic that hits an enemy while a team mate is hitting that same enemy and you hit them both and when you have 15-20 enemies on screen all huddled together it can get bad. laser robots sweeping everyone can ruin your day even after you kill them by exploding in half the screen.

ah, I can only imagine the game struggling to compute these things. I guess it's best left for 2 player and maybe doing 6 player battle mode for laughs.

USB loading when?

battle mode is not bad until that one asshat picks the tiny dog no one can hit.

My Sega friend had one.
It had some pretty cool games but underwhelmed me at the time. Did not feel "next gen".
Maybe half a dozen or so.
Still pretty blah on the system.
There was a tactical war game one, where you'd have like 50 units vs 50 units and it had like a rock, paper, scissors level of strat involved. I remember liking that one a lot.
No.
No.
No.

this year. Keep an eye on the progress on his patreon:
patreon.com/prof_abrasive

sounds like you're talking about dragon force, which is a superb game, the sequel is even better and there's a translation project going on for it now (I think just the menus are done so far)

also dragon force 2 is actually farther along than I thought.

Hope he has more than a 3d printed box.

OH YEAAAH
I'd personally recommend anons to get at least here in the US to get one soon since, at least it seems, prices have been steadly rising for it. Also, I'd recommend mod-chipping it or using pseudo saturn. Plus we should be getting a USB loader sometime in the near future.

Shit load of Panzer Dragoon, just finished it actually. Gonna do Panzer Dragoon 2 and then move on to Saga. Likewise, I've played some Parodius, yet I suck at shmups, I'm trying to git gud. Guardian Heroes is surprisingly good but some of those roots are tough as balls.

saga is a picky game with pseudo saturn. it has anti-cheat detection and it will randomly check at any loading point (room transition, menu, etc.) if there is a cartridge in the slot and will randomly boot you back to the bios.

For saga, I'd suggest using the swap disc method, it's a short game, but I hope you've been enjoying the panzer dragoon games. They are some of my favorite.

as far as shoot 'em ups, try cotton 2 and boomerang. boomerang is the better game, so save it for after you beat 2, but it's an accessible shooter with a grab mechanic where you can pick up elemental crystals and imprison enemies in bubbles with unique properties based on the element, it takes fighting game inputs for special attacks, and the grab move can grab anything. enemies? arrows shot by some enemies? shrimp? if you grab a shrimp it actually turns into a fried shrimp! bosses? Niggger you can grab the weapons out of bosses arms and throw it back at them! You can grab bosses LIMBS and disable them!

Amazing music too.

Thanks for reminding me to download this game and burn it. Just finished doing the samurai route on 1, pretty easy if you ask me.

try to find the translation, I don't know if its public yet

Nah mate, I've got a chipped saturn so shits all good. Kinda sucks that Saga has that cheat detection though. Yeah, Panzer Dragoon is great, the draw distances on the first game are sort of ass but the game looks pretty nice and is definitely fun had to cheese hard mode with turbo tho

I've got that in a spindle somewhere, I'm still moving most of my collection to DVD boxes and printing the modified DVD covers. I'd say I'm like 80% done, I'll definitely do that.

I downloaded a translated version from ISOzone, don't know how updated that is though

I find the panzer dragoon games still look gorgeous. Someone even mistook it for a PS2 game one time I shared it due to the all the reflections in the first episode. I have to admit it blew me away when I recently played it for the first time, and when I got to Episode 2 and saw giant fucking sand worms pillaring out from the desert I was like "NO FUCKING WAY WHEN DID THIS GAME COME OUT" and when I saw it was a saturn launch title I was floored.

Zwei is even more stunning with those quiet moments. The second episode, where you and Lagi escape your village and procede through a valley, and depending on the route you choose, when Lagi leaps off the cliff and awkwardly flies, gliding to the ground, it's like a moment of pure tension and exhiliration.

Then as you progress, the Rando Dura fight in Zwei is fucking amazing. My god, the way the floor is being kicked up from under you it's really a remarkable moment, and when the bridge bursts? Shit gets real. Few games have such a precise pace to it.

Shit looks dope, might boot it up today if I got some time

if you wanna have a bit of extra fun, try playing it with the saturn mouse. It's a bit difficult, but when you get used to how the layout works it's really snappy.

you know what segata sanshiro would want you to do right now?

Eat a dick?

Don't have one sadly, I do have 10 controllers + 2 multitaps tho. Drunken Sega Bomberman nights are the best

Retro Core YT channel is good