Are the third, fourth, and fifth games worth playing...

Are the third, fourth, and fifth games worth playing? I've already played Myst and Riven and was planning to try Obduction but I don't want to miss out on anything good

What series is this? It looks beautiful, I suddenly wanna live in this world. I need my body to have energy again to run around in pristine enchanted universe.

Lurk 10 years before posting

I really enjoyed Myst 4. It expanded on the story of the first one, had some really pretty environments, but some of the most obscure fucking puzzles ever. 3 wasn't made by Cyan Worlds though and 5 looked and ran terrible on my machine at the time so I never got into it.

No, kys

The problem is that they get progressively unlike the first game. But if you didn't have a problem with Riven having actors and being set on an inhabited island, you'll be fine with 3 and 4. None have the same monumental charm as the original, but a few ages are very memorable. Story is bollocks though.

Myst 5 is really just an expansion to URU, the MMO spinoff which came out too early and flopped. Don't play it without getting in the very least a good taste of URU, or most of the lore will appear completely alien. I'm not sure if it's still valid after all the indieshit from these years, but the GOTY edition of URU had supposedly the largest number of logic puzzles in a puzzle game. Myst 5's story is a mess of leftists memes however, consider skipping it if muh slavery muh spirituality doesn't appeal to you.

These games were walking simulators with actual puzzles, but still walking simulators.

But you don't even walk in them. You just teleport from spot to spot.

I found III pretty fun. The story isn't all that good or memorable, but the Ages are nice and really pretty.

Obduction isn't in the Myst timeline so you can finish where you are. Obduction is good though check it out. Make sure to keep FPS mode on so you can search in real time instead of click. It's really cool to check out these spaces in the new game. Looks good and is a good mix between alien and real life.

Oh, so it's a VR game?

Well, yes, but you have to count the times that the view is sorta animated to float around, so I guess it's not even a good walking simulator, it's just an iphone finder game.

All I want from Obduction, is that it hurts The Witness.

You have to realize that the average Myst player is 40 years older than you, and interfaces with you like they were talking to a fish.

I guess I'll give them a shot just to see, I wasn't certain if they were a mixed bag or if they were universally despised by fans, but I knew I didn't hear about them as often.

I had a similar problem with realMyst years ago and ended up not playing through Myst until recently.

I think I preferred Riven, personally. Gehn's and Catherine's speeches and the journals might have been a little too direct but I really, really enjoyed the setting.

Uru is fantastic for what it is, just don't go in expecting the same quality as the other games
It's also free to play, so there's that

Obduction is good but seems like they didn't have enough kickstarter bux to finish the game so the ending is incredibly rushed and disappointing

Walking simulators don't and can't have other primary game elements
It's like calling the Layton games visual novels

Nah, that's just an iphone game but for the DS.

Realmyst is good, if you can wrestle the atrocious controls. The first game might have been the inventor of atmospheric gaming: a colleague of mine, in the mid 90s, said he disliked it because it felt crushingly lonely. And he was an avid Doom player.

Didn't they resurrect the multiplayer, at some point? But that was years ago, already.

Sometimes I would boot up Myst just to go see this room. Sirrus' in selenitic age.

That feeling is kind of understandable
It wasn't quite realistic looking, and it had a shitty resolution and other such ye olde restrictions
That plus the screen by screen movement could make the game feel more lifeless than it appeared to be at a glance, like the vidya equivalent of the uncanny valley

Yes, that's what's free to play
It's somehow staying afloat on donations even though nobody plays it

I have never played Myst. Is GOG version good enough or some sort of remaster would be better.

I thought Myst was pretty garbage at first and then I installed the 2D version instead of realMyst and realMyst Morrowind Graphics Edition

Myst was super shitty at parts and relied too much on backtracking, wish it had more puzzles and was less fucking slow. The Selenic age was horseshit too. It's okay for the time though and I can see it's charm, wish they did more with it and exploration was nice.

Didn't bother with Mathewmatosis' favorite game Riven because Myst was not very good at all and Riven needed Quicktime. I doubt it had the same sense of mystery and exploration that Myst had and the whole Da'ni story was fucking awful.

Get RealMyst, but not the "Masterpiece Edition" which stinks of Unity.

Obduction is ok but it's like a dumbed down Myst that's more walking simulator than puzzle world. You don't need a notepad to remember clues, because there are approximately 3 numbers for door codes you need to remember. the only "hard puzzle" is a complete red herring time waster It has an alien number system in base 4 which is pretty cool, but you don't need to learn it to do any of the puzzles because of a kind of auto-correct feature. The two endings are dumb even when you activate your autism and dig through all the lore to figure out how its supposed to work. The jist being "big thing is analogous to small thing in some ways but is completely different in other ways". At least two puzzles require you to go back and forth between two worlds just pulling a lever each time making it a load screen marathon to finish a fairly easy section. Pretty much all the puzzles are "obstruction, walk around to find lever/button, walk back the long way to the open door". The worlds are about as linear as Myst or Riven - there's basically one or two paths around the area so the maps you find are tits on a bull.

The story turns out in the end to be fairly heavy handed multi-culti schlock which isn't done awfully but is a bit bland for Cyan. The worlds look great though, the ayys are alright except the generic Mofangs, and the live action characters are like classic Myst. The story setting is pretty nice and ripe for sequels, it contextualises the weird sphere swapped chunks of terrain which make for a cool environment but it's basically a typical multiverse. Despite all these current year drawbacks, I still enjoyed Obduction and I just want Cyan to keep making games

TL;DR it's more walking simulator than Myst revival, the endings are pretty shit and the puzzles probably aren't going to fully satisfy a Myst fan. Looks fantastic.

Yeah, RMMP ran like ass and the Morrowind Myst looked aesthetically better even if graphically it was "worse". Pic related.

Problem was that it wasn't really built for first-person and the classic mode had these shitty transitions and animations that Myst:MP didn't so I didn't like that. Game had some neat puzzles and the first few hours were great but simply collecting pages was tedious and it could have used more puzzles. The cavern directional-sounds thing was poorly executed.

I wish they had simply included more ages and simply tracked your completion of it instead of the stupid blue/red pages hunt they added to pad out the game. would have made it a much better title I think.

I just realized, of the two rushed AA barely-made but heavily anticipated puzzle games with weird plots released in summer of 2016, this one doesn't even have the best nonstandard-base numeral puzzles
Weird coincidence, would be sad if it wasn't funny

It was an obvious cash grab, to fund the new game. Ten years for what's basically a GOTY, with a fake looking engine and lacking some feature (day cycle not happening in all maps).

apparently Obduction did originally have better puzzles for the villein stuff but it got casualised because of poor play testing. Did The Witness have radix puzzles or are you talking about something else?

Surely not The Witness, because I have played that one

Nigga that's not a seagull

You can't overemphasize how good Obduction looks. It's visually top dog when it comes to point and clicks. However yeah it is easy but it's fun being part of the environment that constitutes the puzzle. Never did you move the world around so much to figure something about.

Is it still possible to host an Uru Live shard? I want to larp with fellow spergs and finish the Myst timeline.

3: Worth playing absolutely, loved some of the puzzles though some of the organic ones really got me, as well as that fucking voltaic age because I can't into math. the prison ages were my favorite

4: Also good, but you start to notice how unlike 1 or 2 it is. The tension, the creepiness is pretty much gone, beautiful though.

5: I absolutely hate this game, the 3d is abysmal compared to the pre-rendered games, the voice acting horrifying (the mouths pasted onto the 3d models). Maybe its not so bad, but I detest it for this and many other reasons.

URU was going to be so damned fun, the whole project was destined to fail, ahead of its time really.

Obduction for the puzzles is okay, you never feel really stuck if you take the time to explore, but theres way too much forced back-tracking in between, the world doesn't feel alive as it does a big rube-Goldberg machine that you have to kick here and there.

I haven't really played any other games in this vein besides obduction, I'm spoiled by Myst and Riven.

Is it just me or are these games a magnet for SLfags? It and SL both seem to attract fruity 50-something boomers

Are these games completable without a walkthrough? I bumped my head against Riven as a kid and never really progressed that far

Neat, been holding onto this post for days

You should be able to
Last I checked there were hacked shards with custom(read: shit) content

5 had shit puzzles and story but some of the ages were great and you got to explore more of D'ni, which is always good
That one age with the space shit was breathtaking

The Myst community is full of sad old people that just want more puzzle games and don't have any other outlets

fuck I loved Myst and Riven growing up. I think it was the first game we ever got when my family upgraded to a PC with a CD-ROM drive.

I was blown away by the sound effects and Cutting Edge Graphics but the mood and story and world-building is something that has never really left me.

Riven was even better but the puzzles were way harder and my computer was showing its age at that point so that it couldn't even render the FMV actors properly without lagging to hell, so I couldn't get Gehn(?) to go into the trap book because the game was so choppy I couldn't click on it myself.

I wanted to make a thread about this, but there already is, I am just going to post here.

I recently played with a friend Quern Undying Thought, and had lots of fun solving the puzzles with him and trying to guess how the plot will evolve. I only ever played the first Myst for about 20 minutes, when I was much younger, and now I would like to try and play it again. The problem is, that there are four versions of the game: the regular one, the HD Myst, Real Myst which has a 3D map and HD Real Myst which has an updated 3D map. I heard that the 3D HD one was a cash grab or that it didn't bring all that much new to the table, but this comes from the point of view from someone who has played the other games, it might be perfect for me, who hasn't.
Now I should also explain how I choose and play older games. I tend to start a series from the very beginning, especially if it's story has some sort of continuity, otherwise I choose the best ones in a series(I played the Legacy of Kain series in order, but I started Ace Combat with Zero, then 4 and 5, since it had little to do with 1 and 2 and 3 hadn't been translated at that point). I have no problem with playing games that have old/outdated graphics or interfaces(I managed to finish the first two Kings Quest games for instance), however if there is a remake that has better graphics/sound and either keeps the gameplay intact or makes it better/streamlines it, then I will tend to pick the newer version(I played the remakes for Quest for Glory 1 and 2 since I preferred the Sierra interface over the parser text interface, plus it looked much better and 2 also offered the option for a text-parser). I don't think I would have a problem with the way the original Myst played, in that you click and teleport into a room/location, but if the 3D one is better overall then I would prefer playing that one. I also rarely play games more than once, so if I play a version of that game, I won't play another version of the same game, let alone the same version again.
So which version of Myst I should I pick?

It's been said in the thread, but regular Real Myst is the best version

never heard of Quern until now but I'll definitely check it out, thanks

I liked it and consider it a good game with neat atmosphere, though it is poorly optimized, and since I have never played any of the Myst games, I can't comment on how good it is compared to those games.

Haven't played URU at all, does it have any important lore that isn't in the novels?

I don't remember that well but I think it does
Either way it's pretty good and you have no reason not to play it
You shouldn't need an excuse to explore D'ni

I played the game on release and didn't get that impression. The homeworlds were all dead there was no reason to go back, so how is moving to a new world bad?

you need to play exile just for brad dourif tbh

Only ever played the first one as a wee lad.
What's the order for story or should I just do it in release order?

Myst also had actors, though they were used very sparingly. They were the cringelords locked in the books.

Yes

:)
Very helpful, thank.

Fucking this. Dourif is awesome.

I really can't get used to it, I always feel like I'm going to miss something important or skip over a pathway because I didn't know I could go there. Does it get better as you play? I tried to play for a few hours but I just had to stop, it was hurting my brain.

because they all have to work together to make it to Diaspora where they will start colonising a new world as a unified group of ayys from different origins and if they dont work together they're stuck in their domes forever like the Arai, or they kill everyone else like the Mofang, or they try to wait it out indefinitely like the Villein, or they end up pulling some shit like CW tried and fucking everything up