Vidya Easter Eggs

What went wrong?

Nanomemes, Jack.

too many nigger dicks, not enough rimjobs

Modern videogames have been industrialized to the extreme.
What is not absolutely necessary is going to get cut.

And DLC.

Because now everyone adds Easter Eggs, but they're spoiled before the game is even released, and it's just no fun to find it yourself anymore.

Plus, with the internet getting better speeds/access/etc, it's all ruined within 24 hours of release.
Back in the day, easter eggs were just rumours or considered jokes in shitty mailing lists, and it blew your mind when you found them yourself, because you'd never heard of anyone else finding it.

Oh, and Romero's head is one of the easter eggs I like the most. The story behind it is quite funny.

Every time I see this argument and it doesnt make sense to me, you can look up everything about a game before. Story, secret items etc.

You could, but reread my post.
It used to be hard to find groups that discussed the game you wanted to talk about, and a lot of players didn't even have internet access due to costs involved.
And then you had to find a group that actually found the easter egg, not just discuss the parts of the game everyone has seen.

I remember hearing the Doom reboot would have classic levels as hidden bonuses. Then I checked online after it came out and every one was a singular room with some armor or health, not actually hidden levels. They're just there to be another collectable so you can go for 100% secret completion. Turns out that was pretty much all that was hidden, just little trinkets to find. And a fucking arrow to the knee reference.

Bamham at least hid a secret for ages, but once it was revealed, every secret afterwards in the franchise was found in days because people knew to check. The only way to hide something in a game now is to not give people any reason to look at all, which is hard when there's loads of channels that exist purely to find secrets these days.

But I dont give a fuck about other people, when I play my games I do it on my own. Are eastereggs only fun for you if you can talk about it with others?

Not to spike of fileminers.

You're missing the point.

Back then, devs added in the easter eggs for astute players, AKA good players not casuals.
Now, whether they add them or not, a bunch of retards make videos showing 100% of the game, spoiling it all.

They don't add them because instead of being secrets, they are revealed to every player in 10 seconds.

I think easter eggs were added in mostly by devs who didn't have any work to do, such as a level designer who already designed all his levels. Nowadays, if a level designer is done designing levels, he gets laid off because the publisher no longer has any use for him.

it aint modern games fault, nostalgia fag.
its you.

oh right, the Kojima dog tags in Horizon: Zero Dawn too.

It's now a business where instead of a couple guys making a game and going "I'm gonna put this in for laughs" now it's a team of people who have to pass on work to be scrutinized by suits and be told this joke might offend or be lost on the audience or is a waste of resources and told to scrap it

I don't buy this. Radiohead's In Rainbows had secret shit come out fucking years after the release. Heard Thom actually got pissed off it was taking so long, but can't source it now so that may be bullshit.

Yeah, instead I just spoiled a bunch of games by reading gaymen magazines while mummy shopped for groceries.

Not a great example of a game or references in games.

wat

Youngfags get out, reeeeeeeee

Why waste development time on things the player might not see, everything should be accessible to plebeian masses who just want a movie with button pushing.

I think he might be more confused about it being against the law to have Easter eggs in non game applications.

I've never heard of such a law before, but I would put it past some Legalese speaking lawyer to get them banned.

I enjoyed the Stanley Parable, but the Minecraft part was just an alternate path that was taking the piss out of you for "not liking the game how it is". Borderlands 2 has a better Minecraft reference.

But basically it all boils down to due to not having enough dev time to put in really clever Easter eggs. So some of the stuff that gets in is usually done by big companies or are fairly small.

How many fucking times did you try to move the truck near the S.S. Anne to find Mew under it?
If you had internet access back then, you would've found out within seconds that some autists datamined it and figured out the exact way to get Mew somewthing that one of the devs revealed some 10+ years later.
But without it we tried every possible thing that we could come up with until someone figured out the MissinNo shit and we spend our time near Cinnabar Island.

Well, I exaggerated, but Microsoft stopped doing easter eggs in its products because undocumented features are potential security risks.

I'm really not surprised easter eggs are getting rarer and rarer
I've even seen args ruined because of people hacking the websites
Faggots ruin everything

$w337 dubz my d00d

Yeah what fucking LAW is there that says you can't write """features""" (NOT BUGS) into your fucking software? Never heard of such bullshit before, and M$ would be first on the chopping block were that actually the case. Against company policy, sure.

nigger

>How many fucking times did you try to move the truck One. Billion.

Actual Easter Eggs are still out there. Cuckshit devs just now make their "Easter eggs" fucking achievments that they list within whatever shitty interface the game runs on. e.g. Steam or whatever OS PS/Xbox run on.

I remember Po'ed have a entire 3-6 secret levels with a fucking army of monsters and labyrinth what hard to find.

Would the Untended Graves and Archdragon Peak in DS3 count as easter eggs? They're hidden and off the beaten path but are pretty obvious to find

No

I want to add secrets to my game, but I don't know how to hide it effectively. Like other anons have said, dataminers kinda put a stop to most of it.

and when was that not the case?

Well, you could cockblock cursory glances at the game assets by hiding all the secret ones in plain sight as part of other shit in the game and then using code wizardry to rearrange them in-game

Really the only fool proof method is to just be so obscure and unpopular that dataminers don't play your game in the first place, and likely anyone else too

JAHANZED

You can make uncrackable eggs. A straight-forward example is requiring a password to deceypt and run the egg content. You can make it more gamey and more stealthy from there, like the engine maintaining a sliding window of object ids the player has passed near and attempting to use this every second to decrypt the egg. Following a map would effectively enter the password. The existence of this would not show up in a dump of scripts and map triggers, would only be a few hundred suspicious assembly instructions in the engine, and cannot be solved without the map.